Viking (2017)

Viking by Creed

Viking is a popular perfume by Creed for men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCalabrian bergamot, Sicilian lemon, La Réunion pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesPepper, Bulgarian rose, Peppermint
Base Notes Base NotesIndian sandalwood, Haitian vetiver, Indian patchouli, Provençal lavender absolute

Submitted by Michael, last update on 17.07.2019

10.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

DI6
The fragrance to dream and melt away
Oki doki, how do I start to describe this beautiful fragrance.
Since I have several fragrances from Creed, I wanted to test exactly this time, because the bottle alone did not go out of my head.
Since I actually wanted to test the new scent of Azarro (Wanted...), I asked immediately also for Viking. I sprayed Azarro on myself while the salesgirl was digging a small atomizer with the sailor elixir out of the drawer.
OK, there are worlds between the two scents, and I immediately noticed Azarro.
Viking didn't show off at all.
OK, I thought, and squelched a little through Minden (Westphalia) to let the effect of both unfold.
In time, Azarro got on my nerves, didn't he?
Then a very positive thing happened, which I will never forget.
At first I didn't notice Viking at all, but then this horny smell exploded like a Polish firecracker.
At that time it was quite rainy and totally stormy.
I just thought, what is Azarro for a scent - but was taught a better lesson.
It wasn't this one, it was Viking.
He unfolded more and more, was simply indescribably beautiful.
He became more and more intense, wanted to have a thousand noses.
And preferably in the size of a musk ox.
Even by the more and more coming storm gusts, I did not get this horny smell any more from the nose.
For me it smelled like pineapple, fruity, sea breeze and spray, etc. and had the feeling of being set hundreds of years back.
As if I were a warrior with a Viking helmet standing at the bow of a ship, my arms stretched out to the sky to explore new shores.
Think of the movie Titanic, look at the sea, think of this scent and just enjoy it.
You just can't get enough, and pull in what you can.
I really don't want to exaggerate, but you pull and pull until you run the risk of getting a respiratory depression.
Well, at some point, reality caught up with me.
The next way was finally to get this wonderful fragrance.
It has a proud price, but it is worth every cent and in my opinion cannot be compared to anything else.
At the moment, anyway...
7.0 7.0 6.5/10

Konsalik
Dragon boat to the office
First of all: How you can brand a perfume with a Viking branding is not at all clear to me! The cosmos of connotation of the term "Viking" suggests that Nordmann is to be seen as an "anti-Pafum wearer", who would be the only Duftaura to let the blood of his enemies be used for the fur. Please: Somehow the whole well-being can be turned over to adventurism and the desire to conquer; at least the people of the marketing department would surely explain this to us like this.

Unfortunately there is nothing adventurous about this fragrance. After a trivial prelude with alibi citric there remains a rather linear, boring (or, positively speaking: serious) triad of dominant, even halfway naturally smelling mint with strong pepper on a synthetic wooden bed (whereby "synthetic" is not even meant to be derogatory; it actually smells quite nice). And since it was basically that already, I wanted to stop this review early: A pure, unemotional functional fragrance for the office and at best the strunzlahme "Afterwork-Party" in the cocktail lounge. Nothing "Viking", more "Mustermann" - just for 300€.

Wait a minute! Somehow the name makes sense. The (historically less accurate) Viking cliché is here only deconstructively transported into modernity: At that time he was an emotion-poor, gold-greedy axe burglar who was disinterested in refining his perception; today he is a bond-disturbed investment banker with a briefcase who was equally disinterested in refining his perception of money-grabbing investment bankers with a briefcase (without files, but with a MacBook). Sounds a bit like contemporary directorial theatre, which doesn't make it any better.

Well, be that as it may: "Viking" is another creed from the department "quite nice", who still can't explain to me what is so special about this house (apart from older bangers like "Bois du Portugal"). So I'll keep trying, without much hope or vigour.
7.0 6.0 7.0 10.0/10

The Viking
Yes, I know many people can't associate a Viking with this fragrance, but many people also don't know that Vikings were very often out and about in the Middle East. Sometimes on a raid, sometimes just as a trader. It is said that they often stayed in the former Constantinople, today Istanbul. And the fragrance has indeed a strong oriental impact, the rose, the patchouli, above all the strong sandalwood. He reminds me very much of honey, maybe rose honey. Whatever that smells like in real. Although honey is not officially listed. Presumably Vikings were among other things big treat mouths, thus will have enjoyed honey gladly. I find the official description of the manufacturer by means of longships somewhat scarce, but the abruptness of the rough sea is well transported.

One can imagine the scent as a ship, loaded with a load of honey and many herbs, sailing through the rough sea. With mint chewing Vikings on board.

Viking - the Rose King
I have to say, 2 years after the release of the fragrance, there are rare, really rare times someone who smells like Viking and these people came to 99% from the perfumery struts, mostly unsuspecting, who do not know what treasure they carry with them. To that I have to say that it is not an easy start, you don't come right away, with the Vikings, on a common denominator, no love at first sight (smell), but what can you think of romance, this was lied to, by our nice film industry!

To be honest, it took me some time to get warm with this fragrance, but I also noticed that there's a certain power that attracts, because every time in a perfumery, I ran more and more to the Creed shelf and sprayed it on. Always with my partner, always tested together, and she didn't find this fragrance appealing to express it "nicely".

But forget to give time. One should give the Viking time, he should develop and unfold, show his peppery, minty and rosy heart, red like the rose itself, by the way this is the favourite fragrance of my better half, rose. Rose didn't appeal to me personally, only I liked her, and of course she herself liked it, and that can be a decisive point that we liked the scent better for some time after spraying on. At first of course not stunning, because it was no ordinary rose scent, it is also not a feminine rose, it is sensual and masculine. Now I have tested Lyrik Man several times, and must say in comparison that the Viking, for me personally, is more male and more suitable for everyday use and to which better the opposite arrives.

His brother and cousins are everywhere! On a day when I spray Vikings on (which I bought in the meantime) I feel special because I know nobody in my city smells like me, and if he does, then probably at the other end of town, so I have my peace. And on an Aventus day you can smell like every other day, and then you can't even enjoy this respectable scent, because your opposite wears a dupe and smells like you in the Sillage, but you spent a few hundred € and he 20-50€. The unsuspecting one is the winner in this case...

Back to the Viking... his recognition value is high and we have learned to love him, therefore he is an enrichment for my collection! The course of the fragrance is well described in other comments, that's why that was it from my side, and wish you a lot of fun while testing and wearing ...
8.0 7.0 7.0 9.5/10

AnjaTom
"Buy Wool Rose?" Yes! -or - The Viking of the future!
...so far, I've always avoided scents with rose. But with the Viking it looks different! Of course the rose plays more or less a subordinate role here, but I think the scent really very well done!
Aromatic, spicy, fresh.
He starts off nice peppery - minty...with a little bit of bergamot...he has for me a hint of minty tea, no idea if that causes the rose?
It also stays warm and spicy fresh in the heart, but, and I like that, without ever getting dark.
Sillage and durability are both not above average, but decent (8-10 hrs)

What an announcement 2017 - seven years after Aventus. There Oliver C. hits such a part out and it hits - at least initially not at all ... also not with me I must confess.
One stamps the scent too fast according to the motto - what no Aventus - can be nothing.
BUT, I want to tell you something.
For me it's a fragrance that has what it takes to become a successful fragrance like Aventus.
It has everything you need - it is modern - "casual and formal" - ultra universal - and there is no twin fragrance!!!
Here's a short throw-in from my side - Percival is never a fragrance twin from Viking - no idea who set it.
If you had to classify him on a Creed scale (if one existed) he would be between ROYAL OUD and HIMALAYA. All averaged. More universal than Royal Oud, but not sooo casual like Himalaya...well, I think you know what I mean.
Royal Oud is rather the elegant evening event, Himalaya the day trip on holiday by the sea, VIKING can cover both!!

The name - VIKING - more apt than ever! A fiery fresh men's fragrance that embodies the fearless modern man of today. A man who doesn't swim with the current. Determined to explore and conquer. Inspiration from the time of the Vikings. He's decidedly masculine, and that's what's wanted. No, here even more masculine women should definitely keep their hands off, that here is the territory of a man!
Interesting - Unique - I just like scents that force passers-by to ask what kind of scent you're wearing!

A small drop of military courage at the end is the somewhat moderate staying power, which makes me already come to my final rating:

Fragrance: 9,5
Shelf life: 7
Sillage: 7
Uniqueness: 9
Versatility: 8
Price/ performance: 7

Worth buying? Yes, but I would advise anyone to test it first For me a very welcome addition to my collection (my favorite brand), from which my comment may not be entirely unbiased.
6.0 6.0 6.0 5.5/10

Mantus
A power struggle without winners
The first thing you can notice is a strong citric note, which is also accompanied by a good portion of unpleasantly pungent acid and is due to the Sicilian lemon.

At the same time there is another citric note, which has a very fine herbaceous aura and tries in vain to keep the stinging of the lemon in check, but in my opinion it is a little more potentised and comes from the bergamot
These two notes are surrounded by an intense, spicy note, reminiscent of clove and nutmeg, which gives the fragrance a light, old-fashioned and muffled tone and which I have tipped on cloves and pepper, but I can very well imagine that this fragrance characteristic stems solely from La Réunion - pink pepper
This constellation is perceptible on my skin for 15 minutes before the heart note unfolds.

In the heart note, the intense spicy note from the top note has changed a little, it is softer, even a little more aromatic and is due to the black pepper.

By the way: The dull and slightly old aura is also still present, dimmed, but still clearly perceptible.

The black pepper is wrapped in a fresh, slightly shower-gel greenish note of mint, which tries to breathe something invigorating into the fragrance, but unfortunately fails, as I rather have the feeling that a power struggle between freshness and stale dullness is being carried out here and nobody emerges as the winner
"Maybe that's not the way it was"?! :-)

These two notes are inspired by a bright rosy nuance, which gives the fragrance something transparent, but also nothing independent, and comes from the Bulgarian rose, which also seems to me enormously synthetic
The heart note is perceptible on my skin for 3 hours before the base asserts itself.

The base becomes intensely creamy and also attractively spicy and comes from Indian sandalwood.

At the same time, the sandalwood is accompanied by a strong earthy note, which also has a subtle sweetish tone, which ensures that the fragrance has a pleasant depth and comes from the Indian patchouli.

In the background there is another subtle sweetish nuance that carries a certain tangy tone and gives the base a distinctive accentuation thanks to the Haitian vetiver.

The entire base is enveloped in a fine Mediterranean, slightly herbaceous note, which gives the fragrance a delicate maritime finish and comes from Lavender Absolue.

In total, the fragrance lasts 6 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is designed from the beginning in such a way that one is perceived well at half an arm's length and this is also maintained 3 hours in such a way, before it reduces itself in leisurely steps, until the smell finally completely fades away
I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "ErhanSaceros" for the sample.
1.0 10.0 10.0 0.5/10

Greatly helpful Review
Does a Viking go to the dentist ...
... or to the hairdresser or anywhere else where, well we know, hygiene is combined with joie de vivre. Yes, this Creed family, a phalanx of master perfumers. I confirm, businesslike, yes, that yes, but more?

In any case, this sex, ennobled by skill, serves - one reminds the Bach family, music, not true, any desire for accentuated simplicity. Art comes from skill, and what is more skill than being able to provide what you want with the least amount of material and craftsmanship? You produce and offer what the valued audience is willing to pay. Perfume - a dream!

I'd like to join Fabiano, s/u. The message hardly reaches me. I lack the (inner?) respect, a feeling for the sublimity of nothingness, the throwing out of notes for an end in itself is (unfortunately!) abholdable to me. It smells like my uninitiated nose after cheap: lemon / wood / synthetic. Yes, I would like to say that the wonderful molecule called "Ambroxan" provides elasticity, but where does it go? Maybe they meet in infinity, these arcs of blue haze. I have probably too little taste, too little experience, a naively increased expectation of the actual possibilities, in order to meet the enjoyment of everything that would inspire me lustfully with renunciation.

A Viking may be bloodthirsty, but he's also an ascetic, a hero.
6.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Die slow, part?
Damn, he's expensive! Is that why he smells worse than his pals? No, even better.

Viking as the name doesn't quite fit the bill but Creed wanted to see if she could give her golden ass Aventus a sequel. The box office of Avatar definitely meets Aventus... and Viking maybe soon Titanic?
Two niche fragrances that could hardly be more similar: fresh-fruity-smokey vs. fresh-spicy-earthy.

I like them both BUT Viking is the better scent for me.
It begins Creed typical with a fruity top note largely dominated by mint, lemon and pepper.
I don't like it very much in the first hour, because it is quite pungent. An hour later only pure passion came out for it.
I'm admittedly a real fan of spicy/earthy scents and Creed delivers here a strong composition
vétiver, patchouli and sandalwood. Bergamot is added as a fresh companion and gives Viking a very nice base note.
The performance is impressive. On my skin I smell it over ten hours and on clothing 2-3 days with a considerable fragrance cloud. He also liked my surroundings and immediately wanted to know what I was wearing. Viking is really not a beautiful name for such a beautiful fragrance, what was the PR department thinking?

As always, the price is a matter of taste and in my opinion should not be included in an evaluation. Perfumes are difficult to evaluate in this area. On the one hand I find Viking very expensive but on the other hand the price depends mostly on the manufacturer. :/
4.0 7.0 8.0 6.0/10

Toilet duck
Was in a toilet today where there was a yellow toilet duck seal/blob. Already when I entered the guest toilet the smell seemed familiar to me, however not because we use such smell blobs at home. I bought Viking almost blind about 2 months ago and can't really make friends with him. Since today, I know why.
8.0 10.0 8.0 10.0/10

Hawaiiyaner
The Viking - he who completely changed my opinion about Creed to positive.
Wow wow wow,
very discreetly expressed the hammer of Creed u.can only say now I am definitely the Creed - Viking Fan - Lover.

The Aventus could never really convince or irritate me.

But fact is that the Viking is my absolute top fragrance now.

All in one, beautiful, tasty and pure perfection.
5.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

The timid viking warrior
Why this name?
Yes, it's spicy and fresh (probably the Winter time was not the good season to launch it).
You can clearly perceive that the ingredients are top grade (mainly the sandal and the patchouli). But to devise a couple of swallows does not mean that you have already a radiant Spring....
It's a bit generic... Is that a flaw? Yes it is because it's a Creed fragrance and costs (so far) several hundreds of Euros.

Without any more comments I pass immediately to the math of this fragrance:
- Scent: 7.5 (fairly nice but not impressive for the price - my judgement)
- Longevity: 8.0 (8 hours with 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 7.0 (arm length for 4 hours with 3 sprays; average projection for 2 hours); practical skin scent till the 8th hour. After 8 hours do respray or pick another fragrance.)
- Uniqueness: 9.0 (it's pretty unique but it does not stands out)
- Wearability: 8.5 (not for cold days)
- Versatility: 9.0 (a bit everywhere as the scent is not a head turner. Never in the beach or gymn. Not good for clubbing as well).
- Quality: 9.0 (no defects but it's not loveable)
- Presentation: 5.0 (a bit vulgar, a bit ugly; I would have this flask in my shelf just because it says "Creed")
- Price: 1.0 (the price is a real joke; I just ordered a decant to calm down my curiosity)

Average: 7.28 / 10.00

In my top 20? No
Will I buy it again? No
Is there a similar fragrance I like as much as or more than this one? Quite a lot!
Will I recommend it? a big NO due to the low quality/price ratio.
Oliver Creed and Tom Ford must share the same marketeer; This is an as big marketing flop as Tom Ford's F*ing Fabulous.

Bigsly
What emotions reside in the word generic?
I can see some people calling this generic, but so what - if you like it that's what matters! It's got similarities to some scents I already own, even though I rarely wear this kind of scent. There's a strong "chemical wood," as I call it, mostly a sandalwood idea. This reminds me of "vintage" Born Wild for Men, though the wood note is even stronger in that one. What Born Wild does not have is the salty quality, and there's no mint in the top notes either (which seems to only last minutes in Viking anyway). Also, there are indistinct fruit, spice, and floral notes (I got a touch of sharpness, which I guess was the pepper). The next day I smelled it on the clothing I wore the previous day and it reminded me of In New York by VC&A, but I find INY to have a livelier composition. Viking has some sweetness, musk, spice, etc. to it, but the wood note is the star of the show, though that might be due to my sensitivity to those aroma chemicals. I think if I layered BWM with Red Sea by Micallef I'd get something similar to VIking, but I don't understand the claims that Viking is similar to Caron's L'Anarchiste, or that it has a strong cinnamon (or clove) element, or that it has an obvious barbershop/fougere quality. I certainly wouldn't call it a bad scent (at first I thought it was a unisex niche scent of a somewhat "chemical" quality because I sampled it blind), and it does come together nicely after a while (when I do get a touch of Pasha, as some have said), but it's just not the kind of scent I prefer to wear the overwhelming majority of the time (gourmands, orientals, leathers, tobacco, even "ouds" are my favorites), and it's not any kind of "far out" creation like one might get from Smell Bent. If it was in a bottle by Dior or Chanel, selling for $75 or so, I'd say just sample first and only buy it if you really like it, assuming you've got a lot of experience with fragrances. If you don't have much experience, you can buy a fragrance like In New York and get something that roughly does the same thing, and you'll also probably "smell unique" because that one doesn't seem to have caught on.
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Toreter
This is not Aventus, this is VIKING. Get over it.
After reading all this hate about Viking, I decided to give it a go and get a 50ml decant on Sharing Thread, if it has a Sauvage vibe can´t be really that awful.
The first sniff you get when you spray Viking its a citrus-pepper smell. It turns alittle sweet after that and you can start smelling that Sauvage kindathing. The fragrance then settles and lets a nice sweet, mild, Sauvage, barber cologne, bergamot, lemony mix come out.
It is a nice fragrance, that needs to settle to give its 100%.
It is not Aventus, it is VIKING. It is different, it is expensive, it is nice, it is pleasant. Needs a few wears to explore all details, but we know that nowadays we want everything here and now.If you are patient, you will like it.

Carlitos01 15 days ago
It's not unisex; it's for men but it's not manly; Performance is "so so". It looks to me like a big amount of money for the buck.+4
5.0
KingPin 56 days ago
Ewww, it smells like those blocks you have in urinals. Sharp and synthetic. Bad Creed, bad.+1
2.5
Itchynose 139 days ago
A spicier, deeper and more bitter version of Old Spice. Creamy barbershop vibe but not remarkable within the genre.+1
5.0
JoaoMartins 9 months ago
Too aromatic for me. Still a nice scent and classy for a more mature guy. Too pricey for what you will get from this perfume+2
Hermesh 15 months ago
Fresh citrusy fragrance, with classic, but also modern nuances. No reinvention, but well done: has naturally cool-mild appearance.+2
Syzygy73 16 months ago
So, Vikings have gone from being axe-wielding manly men to metrosexuals doused in Dior Sauvage. Leif Ericsson must be crying into his mead.+4
ScentedSalon 22 months ago
Beautiful fire-n-ice unisex scent: sweet, cold, uplifting, spicy, calming, warm, soothing. Lovely bottle. First thing I've liked from Creed.+5
9.0

by Schücha
by Dory
by Dory

Popular Creed

Aventus (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Virgin Island Water by Creed Green Irish Tweed by Creed Silver Mountain Water (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Royal Oud by Creed Millésime Impérial (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Himalaya by Creed Original Vetiver by Creed Bois du Portugal by Creed Original Santal by Creed Viking by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Sublime Vanille by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Spice and Wood by Creed Erolfa by Creed Royal Water by Creed Aventus for Her by Creed Love In White (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Royal Mayfair / Windsor by Creed Spring Flower (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Tabarome Millésime by Creed