Viking 2017

Viking by Creed
Viking is a popular perfume by Creed for men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Top Notes Top NotesCalabrian bergamotCalabrian bergamot Sicilian lemonSicilian lemon La Réunion pink pepperLa Réunion pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesPepperPepper Bulgarian roseBulgarian rose PeppermintPeppermint
Base Notes Base NotesIndian sandalwoodIndian sandalwood Haitian vetiverHaitian vetiver Indian patchouliIndian patchouli Provençal lavender absoluteProvençal lavender absolute

Submitted by Michael, last update on 17.05.2022.

ToreterToreter 5 years ago
After reading all this hate about Viking, I decided to give it a go and get a 50ml decant on Sharing Thread, if it has a Sauvage...
DrakecitoDrakecito 3 years ago
My review is about a 100ml bottle, batch S9618B01 Honestly, I am somewhat perplexed ... I think we are facing one of the biggest teasing of modern perfumery. Once again,...

The legacy of old
Let me start by saying that, in my opinion, the name for the fragrance is well chosen by the house of Creed. Whenever I think of the vikings from the olden days, I think about the warriors who conquered a lot of the world and left an indisputable imprint.

It is the same with the DNA of this fragrance. Some call it Old Spice with different notes; some call it a barbershop fragrance. It may be all of those things to some, to me it is all of those. Yes, it has an old-school vibe to it. Yes, it has barbershop related vibes. But, that is also the reason why I love it so much.

The fragrance DNA smells familiar, like the scent your father or grandfather would have worn back in the days. However, Creed has twisted the formula in such a way that it doesn’t smell outdated. It actually smells refreshing and, dare I say, exciting. This is, according to me, the reason it got so much hate when it was launched in 2017. It got compared to Aventus, which is a completely different DNA, and couldn’t stand up to it.

However, in the recent months, perhaps years even, I feel that it is getting much more praise and people start to understand and appreciate the fragrance for what it is: a classy fougere fragrance with an updated scent profile for the distinguished gentleman.

At the initial spray I detect a spicy hint of pepper which quickly disappears and makes room for some citrus notes. After 30 minutes or so I start to detect a menthol note which beautifully blends with a bright rose. This combination is just heaven and I like it very much. After 4 hours the basenotes are coming in. Woods, earthy patchouli and a slight hint of lavender.

The performance of the fragrance is okay. It lasts in total about 7-8 hours with good projection for the first 2-3 hours. Mind that you can get noseblind to it. While wearing this fragrance I thought it was short-lived, but I was asked the question at work what it was that was smelling so good and which fragrance I was wearing. This was 3 hours after spraying it on.

In conclusion, a very modern take on an old and familiar fragrance DNA. Definitely masculine and for over 30. Performance could be better, especially considering the price. However, if you like classic DNA’s modernized with something unique, you have no need to look further.

All the best.

Feeling like Thor
From the moment I smelled it my first thought was: a white muscled man with a big beard and a axe like Thor who just came out the shower and sprayed him with spicey and cool oils.

When you have this picture you will understand that this is a alpha perfume! Think that creed made a excellent job here to give us that alpha man vibe and going trough the day like a boss. I think this perfume suits best in office for a real boss. A boss who knows that he is great, creative and confident about himself.. it’s not the confident that you feel better than others, but that kinda of smell that you can give the others the best of yourself.. a true leader a real inspirator and motivator he is! This my fellow alphas is “THE” scent for us. Showing our abilities, expanding our intelligence to become te best version of ourself that is Creed viking!

Let’s talk about the scent now.. it’s starts spicey and very very fresh some kind of minty and almost metallic. It makes you directly awake. After the top the rose gets dominant but the rose here is so nice blended that it smells like a flowery spice covered with the bitterness of the lavender! OMG the lavender balanced the mint and rose in the mid so you don’t get that rush constantly as in the beginning. Drydown is awesome.. sweet spicey and a bit rose. Pink pepper is very dominant here and the flowery base is coming up at times..

Negativity about it: LongFgevity. 1 spray can only detect on my skin for maybe 1.5 hour and projection is also very poor. This works for me only if I spray 10 times on my body and after an hour 2 times on my hand and after an hour again 2 times on my hand. Than the longevity becomes around 8 hours and the sillage 2/3 hours strong!

So before going out spray 3/4 times on your chest and after that before going in the office 2 times on your wrist and few times in the air and walk trough it or on your clothes if these don’t get damaged.

Viking a disappointment as most fans say?? Hell is wrong with you? This is a masterpiece it’s an art even smelling it hours and hours is an activity and joy for life! Try this trough the whole year and it works. Summer it’s still ok but don’t use to much as the spices can choke you

Are you a Viking?
introduces the masterfully crafted Viking, a fiery men’s fragrance that bottles the fearless spirit of boundless exploration for the modern man who goes against the grain. Sixth Generation Master Perfumer Olivier Creed created Viking and was inspired by the incredibly crafted longships, a centrepiece of the Viking Age and one of the greatest design feats of the ninth century. A symbol of voyage and undeniable perseverance, longships were carefully designed for the skilled seaman who embodied unbridled determination to conquer.
Dennis79
Viking from battle or Rolex wearer?
Due to the price, I first got myself a bottling of this fragrance, in order to try it on *without danger*. And what can I say - the part has impressed me really.

Fragrance (8,5/10)
In the opening, the Winkinger starts a little overwhelming for me with a slightly (for me) stronger rose. The bergamot I do not perceive as strong, but very strong the peppermint paired with citrus freshness. It seems to me, as if all components must first calm down a little.

After about 20-30 minutes, all ingredients seem to have found your place in the orchestra and the fragrance seems altogether more harmonious, especially since the rose is also very withdrawn. Here and in the drydown unfolds the true Viking power - a brew like mead only without honey - but from floral freshness and later joins even slightly sweet sandalwood.

The feeling what reminds me of this fragrance is simply the beginning of spring. Here I imagine a blond Viking with long hair and a shirt half open on top, which returns home to the village after winning a battle and is admired by all. Simply brilliant!

SILLAGE (7/10):
Fits for a fresh scent.

HALTBARKEIT (6/10):
Perceptible on my skin for a long time about 5 hrs. Since all the ingredients smell very natural I take this gladly in purchase at the expense of Halbarkeit.

VERSATILITY (6/10):
BEST fragrance for spring and possibly early summer (my feeling). Think you can wear the also without hesitation in the office, because he does not touch by the freshness. Only and only the rose could be the first hour for colleagues more exhausting. Therefore, my tip - spray on early, wait 30 minutes and then share the delicious drydown with the seat neighbors :-)

MY RECOMMENDATION:
I recommend Viking by Creed to anyone who loves the feeling of spring when the flowers sprout, the birds chirp and the sun comes out again. This feeling gives me Viking like no other. In addition, I find this fragrance somehow luxurious (distinguished peppermint and rose), so I can imagine it on a Rolex wearer. I don't have one myself, but fragrance somehow smells like high society to me. No blind buy for people who do not like rose - for all others in any case times test.

What sensations do you have in the fragrance?

P.S: Want more Creed? Read also my comparison test of Aventus and the sinister minions:
Hegen
The better Aventus swims and does not fly
For me, Viking is the clear winner compared to Aventus. I don't understand why Viking has a significantly lower rating compared to Aventus. Viking was my first Creed perfume and it flashed me right away. With Viking, you have a very unusual perfume. The pleasant peppermint in combination with Bulgarian rose and the fruity lemon result in a very good fragrance character. For me, Viking is a very exciting fragrance that will develop really well over time. In any case, it is more exciting than the toilet-stone fragrance Aventus. With Viking one stands out and is asked more often for the fragrance.

Full on 10!
Before I get to the actual fragrance itself, a little anecdote beforehand.

My Wenigkeit has, how should it be otherwise, once again a bulk order of various fillings in the Soukbereich of Parfumo transacted.

Besides among others PDM Layton, PDM Pegasus and Creeds Virgin Island Water, which should definitely be ordered, the view also fell on Creeds Viking. Quickly checked again the scent pyramid, as well as the scent direction and found with shock that this should be spicy-fresh and to top it all off also has a citrus top note. This is so not my direction, I like more sweet, oriental scents. Anyway, I thought, it can not be so bad and ordered incidentally a small 2 ml filling.

When then the longed fragrance mail was delivered, I gave the Creed Viking first no attention, the other fillings were more important, more interesting and so was extensively tested. One day grabbed me then but the curiosity and I had to test Creed Viking and what can I say, I was flashed from the first moment of this fragrance, it was love at first smell, so to speak, and once again has turned out, unexpected often comes ;)

Now to the fragrance itself:

Viking begins contrary to discreet citrus, although bergamot and lemon are in the top note. This provides a certain basic freshness. More dominant, however, are the rose, pepper and mint. The latter again provides a special feeling of freshness in the opening, without smelling like toothpaste or the like. The pepper provides a certain sharpness, while the rose as a counterpart softens this sharpness.

After about an hour, the citrus is gone and the heart note of pepper, mint and rose has free rein. Now it becomes clear why the fragrance is categorized as spicy-fresh, because the pepper provides this dominant spice, mint for the freshness and rose softens the whole, so that the counterpart is not slain. At the same time, the rose but also provides a small barely perceptible floral touch.
This interplay remains for about 5 hours existent.

After that, woody notes are gradually recognizable, through the sandalwood and vetiver. Patchouli and lavender remain until the end very clearly in the background and are barely perceptible. The base note and thus the conclusion remains a woody scent, which lasts another two hours before the fragrance is no longer perceptible to me.

I really can not explain what fascinates me so much about this fragrance. Creeds Viking doesn't reinvent the wheel, break it down and it remains a classic scent, through pepper and mint. As one perfumo wrote, it's reminiscent of the old classic bar shave. Through the rose you bring, in my opinion this fragrance into the modern age. But what I clearly like is the linear progression of the fragrance and the smooth transitions of top, heart and base notes. It gives me a sense of freedom and a break from the conformist society in which everyone wants to please everyone else. Maybe that's where the name Viking comes from.

About the durability, I can say that this is decent on my skin with 8 hours. The sillage is about 3 hours, after which it becomes close to the body. The bottle is well processed, but you expect that for the called price of Creed.

Conclusion:

For me, this fragrance is unique because it brings this classic fragrance direction in the modern age and thus creates a balance between old, known and new, unknown. To my luck or bad luck, depending on how you want to see it, I do not know the Creed Aventus (yet), so I was allowed to test unprejudiced the Creed Viking. The fragrance is clearly masculine, it is neither unisex nor feminine in nature. For me, it will become my new signature fragrance and it will certainly no longer be missing in my collection :)
Szebo86
In the shadow of the brother... wrongly
A spray
Wow... Pepper, mint, rose, more mint, bergamot, fresh, very masculine, maybe a little rough, but that's exactly how it should be, the Viking.
Too little noticed and clearly in the shadow of the sales hit Aventus.
Even if a pseudo perfume connoisseur named Jeremy has repeatedly stated that Aventus and Viking can be worn on the same occasion (which I agree with him) but it is still not the same DNA which connects the two fragrances but only the name Creed.
I find Viking clearly more exciting. Perhaps also because I smell Aventus meanwhile often when I move through the German cities.
But also because he brings to the end for me what I always appreciate in the first two hours with many Fougere fragrances. Lavender. But not in the prelude but in the drydown. And the whole with the above-described head and base notes makes this fragrance really very nice and never boring
Viking
Born in the arms of the fjord. This was his home. Always had been.
A great warrior who had fought many battles, experienced many raids, and explored many foreign lands.
Up here at the top of the fjord, he now stood and looked down.
A strong wind from the east blew the salty sea air into his face that had been marked by it over the years. His long braided beard blew in the wind.
From the slopes of the fjord the smell of wood, grass and wild mint. An earthy yet fresh smell that he loved so much.

He soaked up the smell and gazed into the fjord.
The dragon boats that lay at anchor down there swayed about like sea serpents in the raging sea. He could see the whitecaps of the waves all the way up here. The fjord was known for its calm waters but today a storm was brewing.
He lifted his gaze, out to the wild sea.
Clouds black as Odin's ravens approached. Lightning lit up the dark sky and a loud rumble of thunder could be heard in the distance.
He smiled as the thunder came closer. Thor wielding his hammer Mjölnir delighted his ears and his heart. This was where he was born, this was where he was at home, and this was where he was going to enter Valhalla.
At this moment as one with nature.
In that moment he was a Viking

Channeling Costes...
Viking opens with soft bergamot laced with a hint of pink pepper before quickly transitioning to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart the perfume turns fiery hot spicy, as slightly sweet cinnamon and chili pepper combine into a "red hots candy" accord that becomes the focus, with thin dulled rose, vague mint, and dry sandalwood rising from the base in support. During the late dry-down the "red hots candy" accord recedes as the sandalwood remains, now in a more focal role as sharp woody vetiver joins it as co-star through the finish. Projection is good to very good, and longevity excellent at over 12 hours on skin.

Ah the wonderful house of Creed. While for most part I can ignore the house and not miss much, every once and a while when on vacation in Las Vegas I force myself to visit the Creed store to see if there is anything within the past few years I may have missed out on. This time I received the full court press sales pitch, including asking what my favorite three movies were (who cares?!?), expounding on the 4000+ year house history (oh brother), Cleopatra's Creed preferences (you knew her personally, eh?), only the finest ingredients used (sure, OK), and how Creed perfects formulation consistency by only going to the same select group of ingredient suppliers (this one almost made me cynically chuckle due to all the batch inconsistency arguments online - not that I believe any of it). Whatever, the sales experience was just as lengthy and ridiculous as the length of the Pinocchio's nose the sales person displayed after rambling through it. Sigh... Onward to the perfumes sampled. Most of what I sniffed last week had me wanting to escape the store as soon as possible, but a few of the more recent releases impressed enough for me to endure, and Viking was one, having me leave the store with a spray sample vial to try later on skin.

Viking actually grows on you over time. The perfume is a nice combination of fresh, and fiery hot spicy/woody. It isn't listed in the perfume notes, but cinnamon definitely plays a strong role in the perfume's heart, as does red chili pepper. The dull thin rose and vague natural mint used are more in subtle support to the primary spicy woody profile, giving the perfume that fresh, wearable dimension one expects from Creed. By the late dry-down the vetiver and sandalwood really take over and the result is quite pleasant. The perfume on the whole is actually appealing, but I can't help thinking that the key components driving most of its development have been done before... Oh yeah, the dulled rose infused red hots spicy/woody aspect can be found in Costes by Olivia Giacobetti released in 2004, for example. I own that one already but haven't worn it in years... I guess Viking's profile isn't as new or innovative as I hoped. The bottom line is the $495 per 100ml bottle Viking is a pleasant smelling perfume that channels key aspects of superior, far less expensive previous releases like Costes, and Padparadscha by Satellite, earning it a "good" to "very good" 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5 rating but an avoid recommendation as its superior predecessors can be had for far less (sans the sales pitch).
Leporello
The fine line between unreason and emotion ...
or why a memory is sometimes priceless.

There are probably few fragrance houses that measured by reviews in various forums (all not as good as Parfumo), polarize in such different ways as the house of Creed. It seems to me that Creed is one of those brands, much like Apple, that you either love dearly, are addicted to, or hate. Now I always try to test fragrances "soberly" and unemotionally, trying to leave pricing and marketing out of it. For me, perfume is simply an area of my everyday life where I don't want to be dogmatic (although I am said to have a penchant for dogmatism here and there when it comes to music). The long lead-in to my comment is simply to reiterate that I always strive to test fragrances without prejudice (ok I admit with brands like Gaultier, Diesel and Paco Rabanne I don't succeed). I came into contact with Viking earlier this year when I received a sample with another Creed fragrance order. My first impression matches Sinairq's comment below, which accurately describes Viking as "particularly unspecial" in its headline. Shortly after spraying it on, my first thought was quite sobering and I thought to myself "well, they must be doing too well to offer something like this for an MSRP of 200€". In short, my nose acknowledged the fragrance as a fairly simple "Würzwässerchen" drugstore scale. Don't get me wrong, Viking didn't smell bad after the first impression, but "special" is something else. Nevertheless, I gave the fragrance a chance, because under the category "one hand me quickly curd soap and root brush" he clearly does not fall.

So I waited patiently and noticed after about an hour how the scent was strikingly more pleasant. Again and again, a scent poured into my nose that seemed immensely familiar and pleasant. I spent a whole afternoon thinking about where I might know this scent from and it was only in the evening that I remembered. Gosh, that's exactly the smell of Grandpa's shaving soap! Yes, that's exactly how grandpa smelled when he shaved! Suddenly, the images came back of me as a little boy standing in front of the shaving mirror on Sunday mornings with Grandpa and being allowed to shave with him. In short Viking reminded me of that wonderful shaving soap atmosphere in Grandpa's yellow-tiled bathroom. My grandfather came from a generation for whom it was still very important to be clean-shaven. Going to church without a clean shave was blasphemy, so my grandfather was always careful to have enough shaving soap and blades for his razor. I remember grandpa buying his shaving soap from the same store in our little medieval town for probably fifty years. Viking manages to perfectly mimic that scent of said freshly whipped shaving soap (I'm referring to the kind you put in your shaving mug and apply from there).

What initially starts as a mediocre "spice canonade" of pepper and citrus, turns after a little less than an hour into a fresh, slightly minty scent underpinned by warm wood and pepper notes. There he is, my grandfather in the heated bathroom, whipping up the shaving soap while thick clouds of heat rise from the sink. This warm shaving soap vibe remains very present on my skin and in the course, felt after a little more than two hours by a warm sandalwood note underlined. I personally feel that the fragrance pyramid given here is too expansive, because I can't smell the notes of patchouli, lavender and vetiver. Fortunately, Viking then remains quite linear with this fragrance impression and offers me with almost eight to nine hours this wonderful retrospective until the fragrance then slowly fades. Unfortunately, I still do not know the manufacturer of the shaving soap and it is legitimate to ask the question about the monetary value of such a memory. Personally, it was worth the price to be able to experience this wonderful image now olfactory again, but I understand the critics. Viking simply offers too little spectacular for the price. For myself, however, once again the old quote from Oscar Wilde proves true:

"Nowadays people know the price of everything and not the value"

Connoisseur6Connoisseur6 4 months ago
Opens ok with fresh spicey peppermint, comes down to a lovely peppery sandalwood.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
Spicy, fresh and citrusy scent, slightly green/woody. Leaning for man but soft, light and calming. A peaceful Viking. One of the best Creed.
JayNayJayNay 1 year ago
Very soapy clean smell. I like it after trying it a few times. Picked up the peppermint for sure
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
It's not unisex; it's for men but it's not manly; Performance is "so so". It looks to me like a big amount of money for the buck.
KingPinKingPin 3 years ago
2.5
Ewww, it smells like those blocks you have in urinals. Sharp and synthetic. Bad Creed, bad.
ItchynoseItchynose 3 years ago
A spicier, deeper and more bitter version of Old Spice. Creamy barbershop vibe but not remarkable within the genre.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 4 years ago
Too aromatic for me. Still a nice scent and classy for a more mature guy. Too pricey for what you will get from this perfume
HermeshHermesh 4 years ago
Fresh citrusy fragrance, with classic, but also modern nuances. No reinvention, but well done: has naturally cool-mild appearance.
Syzygy73Syzygy73 4 years ago
So, Vikings have gone from being axe-wielding manly men to metrosexuals doused in Dior Sauvage. Leif Ericsson must be crying into his mead.
ScentedSalonScentedSalon 5 years ago
Beautiful fire-n-ice unisex scent: sweet, cold, uplifting, spicy, calming, warm, soothing. Lovely bottle. First thing I've liked from Creed.

creed viking - skål! :)
by OleTrufa
by JulianNock
by JulianNock

Popular by Creed

Aventus (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Virgin Island Water by Creed Royal Oud by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Sublime Vanille by Creed Green Irish Tweed by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Spice and Wood by Creed Aventus Cologne by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Pure White Cologne by Creed Millésime Impérial (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Original Vetiver by Creed Silver Mountain Water (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Bois du Portugal by Creed Royal Mayfair / Windsor by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed Himalaya by Creed Original Santal by Creed Acqua Originale - Vetiver Geranium by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - White Flowers by Creed Angélique Encens (1933) by Creed Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie by Creed