Viking (2017)

Viking by Creed

Viking is a perfume by Creed for men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCalabrian bergamot, Sicilian lemon, La Réunion pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesPepper, Bulgarian rose, Peppermint
Base Notes Base NotesIndian sandalwood, Haitian vetiver, Indian patchouli, Provençal lavender absolute

Submitted by Michael, last update on 11.04.2019

8.0 7.0 7.0 10.0/10

AnjaTom
"Buy Wool Rose?" Yes! -or - The Viking of the future!
...so far, I've always avoided scents with rose. But with the Viking it looks different! Of course the rose plays more or less a subordinate role here, but I think the scent really very well done!
Aromatic, spicy, fresh.
He starts off nice peppery - minty...with a little bit of bergamot...he has for me a hint of minty tea, no idea if that causes the rose?
It also stays warm and spicy fresh in the heart, but, and I like that, without ever getting dark.
Sillage and durability are both not above average, but decent (8-10 hrs)

What an announcement 2017 - seven years after Aventus. There Oliver C. hits such a part out and it hits - at least initially not at all ... also not with me I must confess.
One stamps the scent too fast according to the motto - what no Aventus - can be nothing.
BUT, I want to tell you something.
For me it's a fragrance that has what it takes to become a successful fragrance like Aventus.
It has everything you need - it is modern - "casual and formal" - ultra universal - and there is no twin fragrance!!!
Here's a short throw-in from my side - Percival is never a fragrance twin from Viking - no idea who set it.
If you had to classify him on a Creed scale (if one existed) he would be between ROYAL OUD and HIMALAYA. All averaged. More universal than Royal Oud, but not sooo casual like Himalaya...well, I think you know what I mean.
Royal Oud is rather the elegant evening event, Himalaya the day trip on holiday by the sea, VIKING can cover both!!

The name - VIKING - more apt than ever! A fiery fresh men's fragrance that embodies the fearless modern man of today. A man who doesn't swim with the current. Determined to explore and conquer. Inspiration from the time of the Vikings. He's decidedly masculine, and that's what's wanted. No, here even more masculine women should definitely keep their hands off, that here is the territory of a man!
Interesting - Unique - I just like scents that force passers-by to ask what kind of scent you're wearing!

A small drop of military courage at the end is the somewhat moderate staying power, which makes me already come to my final rating:

Fragrance: 9,5
Shelf life: 7
Sillage: 7
Uniqueness: 9
Versatility: 8
Price/ performance: 7

Worth buying? Yes, but I would advise anyone to test it first For me a very welcome addition to my collection (my favorite brand), from which my comment may not be entirely unbiased.
6.0 6.0 6.0 5.5/10

Mantus
A power struggle without winners
The first thing you can notice is a strong citric note, which is also accompanied by a good portion of unpleasantly pungent acid and is due to the Sicilian lemon.

At the same time there is another citric note, which has a very fine herbaceous aura and tries in vain to keep the stinging of the lemon in check, but in my opinion it is a little more potentised and comes from the bergamot
These two notes are surrounded by an intense, spicy note, reminiscent of clove and nutmeg, which gives the fragrance a light, old-fashioned and muffled tone and which I have tipped on cloves and pepper, but I can very well imagine that this fragrance characteristic stems solely from La Réunion - pink pepper
This constellation is perceptible on my skin for 15 minutes before the heart note unfolds.

In the heart note, the intense spicy note from the top note has changed a little, it is softer, even a little more aromatic and is due to the black pepper.

By the way: The dull and slightly old aura is also still present, dimmed, but still clearly perceptible.

The black pepper is wrapped in a fresh, slightly shower-gel greenish note of mint, which tries to breathe something invigorating into the fragrance, but unfortunately fails, as I rather have the feeling that a power struggle between freshness and stale dullness is being carried out here and nobody emerges as the winner
"Maybe that's not the way it was"?! :-)

These two notes are inspired by a bright rosy nuance, which gives the fragrance something transparent, but also nothing independent, and comes from the Bulgarian rose, which also seems to me enormously synthetic
The heart note is perceptible on my skin for 3 hours before the base asserts itself.

The base becomes intensely creamy and also attractively spicy and comes from Indian sandalwood.

At the same time, the sandalwood is accompanied by a strong earthy note, which also has a subtle sweetish tone, which ensures that the fragrance has a pleasant depth and comes from the Indian patchouli.

In the background there is another subtle sweetish nuance that carries a certain tangy tone and gives the base a distinctive accentuation thanks to the Haitian vetiver.

The entire base is enveloped in a fine Mediterranean, slightly herbaceous note, which gives the fragrance a delicate maritime finish and comes from Lavender Absolue.

In total, the fragrance lasts 6 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is designed from the beginning in such a way that one is perceived well at half an arm's length and this is also maintained 3 hours in such a way, before it reduces itself in leisurely steps, until the smell finally completely fades away
I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "ErhanSaceros" for the sample.
1.0 10.0 10.0 0.5/10

Greatly helpful Review
Does a Viking go to the dentist ...
... or to the hairdresser or anywhere else where, well we know, hygiene is combined with joie de vivre. Yes, this Creed family, a phalanx of master perfumers. I confirm, businesslike, yes, that yes, but more?

In any case, this sex, ennobled by skill, serves - one reminds the Bach family, music, not true, any desire for accentuated simplicity. Art comes from skill, and what is more skill than being able to provide what you want with the least amount of material and craftsmanship? You produce and offer what the valued audience is willing to pay. Perfume - a dream!

I'd like to join Fabiano, s/u. The message hardly reaches me. I lack the (inner?) respect, a feeling for the sublimity of nothingness, the throwing out of notes for an end in itself is (unfortunately!) abholdable to me. It smells like my uninitiated nose after cheap: lemon / wood / synthetic. Yes, I would like to say that the wonderful molecule called "Ambroxan" provides elasticity, but where does it go? Maybe they meet in infinity, these arcs of blue haze. I have probably too little taste, too little experience, a naively increased expectation of the actual possibilities, in order to meet the enjoyment of everything that would inspire me lustfully with renunciation.

A Viking may be bloodthirsty, but he's also an ascetic, a hero.
6.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Die slow, part?
Damn, he's expensive! Is that why he smells worse than his pals? No, even better.

Viking as the name doesn't quite fit the bill but Creed wanted to see if she could give her golden ass Aventus a sequel. The box office of Avatar definitely meets Aventus... and Viking maybe soon Titanic?
Two niche fragrances that could hardly be more similar: fresh-fruity-smokey vs. fresh-spicy-earthy.

I like them both BUT Viking is the better scent for me.
It begins Creed typical with a fruity top note largely dominated by mint, lemon and pepper.
I don't like it very much in the first hour, because it is quite pungent. An hour later only pure passion came out for it.
I'm admittedly a real fan of spicy/earthy scents and Creed delivers here a strong composition
vétiver, patchouli and sandalwood. Bergamot is added as a fresh companion and gives Viking a very nice base note.
The performance is impressive. On my skin I smell it over ten hours and on clothing 2-3 days with a considerable fragrance cloud. He also liked my surroundings and immediately wanted to know what I was wearing. Viking is really not a beautiful name for such a beautiful fragrance, what was the PR department thinking?

As always, the price is a matter of taste and in my opinion should not be included in an evaluation. Perfumes are difficult to evaluate in this area. On the one hand I find Viking very expensive but on the other hand the price depends mostly on the manufacturer. :/
4.0 7.0 8.0 6.0/10

Toilet duck
Was in a toilet today where there was a yellow toilet duck seal/blob. Already when I entered the guest toilet the smell seemed familiar to me, however not because we use such smell blobs at home. I bought Viking almost blind about 2 months ago and can't really make friends with him. Since today, I know why.
8.0 10.0 8.0 10.0/10

Hawaiiyaner
The Viking - he who completely changed my opinion about Creed to positive.
Wow wow wow,
very discreetly expressed the hammer of Creed u.can only say now I am definitely the Creed - Viking Fan - Lover.

The Aventus could never really convince or irritate me.

But fact is that the Viking is my absolute top fragrance now.

All in one, beautiful, tasty and pure perfection.
5.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

The timid viking warrior
Why this name?
It's not unisex; it's for men but it's not manly; Performance is "so so". It looks to me like a big amount of money for the buck.
Yes, it's spicy and fresh (probably the Winter time was not the good season to launch it).
You can clearly perceive that the ingredients are top grade (mainly the sandal and the patchouli). But to devise a couple of swallows does not mean that you have already a radiant Spring....
It's a bit generic... Is that a flaw? Yes it is because it's a Creed fragrance and costs (so far) several hundreds of Euros.

Without any more comments I pass immediately to the math of this fragrance:
- Scent: 7.5 (fairly nice but not impressive for the price - my judgement)
- Longevity: 8.0 (8 hours with 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 7.0 (arm length for 4 hours with 3 sprays; average projection for 2 hours); practical skin scent till the 8th hour. After 8 hours do respray or pick another fragrance.)
- Uniqueness: 9.0 (it's pretty unique but it does not stands out)
- Wearability: 8.5 (not for cold days)
- Versatility: 9.0 (a bit everywhere as the scent is not a head turner. Never in the beach or gymn. Not good for clubbing as well).
- Quality: 9.0 (no defects but it's not loveable)
- Presentation: 5.0 (a bit vulgar, a bit ugly; I would have this flask in my shelf just because it says "Creed")
- Price: 1.0 (the price is a real joke; I just ordered a decant to calm down my curiosity)

Average: 7.28 / 10.00

In my top 20? No
Will I buy it again? No
Is there a similar fragrance I like as much as or more than this one? Quite a lot!
Will I recommend it? a big NO due to the low quality/price ratio.
Oliver Creed and Tom Ford must share the same marketeer; This is an as big marketing flop as Tom Ford's F*ing Fabulous.

Bigsly
What emotions reside in the word generic?
I can see some people calling this generic, but so what - if you like it that's what matters! It's got similarities to some scents I already own, even though I rarely wear this kind of scent. There's a strong "chemical wood," as I call it, mostly a sandalwood idea. This reminds me of "vintage" Born Wild for Men, though the wood note is even stronger in that one. What Born Wild does not have is the salty quality, and there's no mint in the top notes either (which seems to only last minutes in Viking anyway). Also, there are indistinct fruit, spice, and floral notes (I got a touch of sharpness, which I guess was the pepper). The next day I smelled it on the clothing I wore the previous day and it reminded me of In New York by VC&A, but I find INY to have a livelier composition. Viking has some sweetness, musk, spice, etc. to it, but the wood note is the star of the show, though that might be due to my sensitivity to those aroma chemicals. I think if I layered BWM with Red Sea by Micallef I'd get something similar to VIking, but I don't understand the claims that Viking is similar to Caron's L'Anarchiste, or that it has a strong cinnamon (or clove) element, or that it has an obvious barbershop/fougere quality. I certainly wouldn't call it a bad scent (at first I thought it was a unisex niche scent of a somewhat "chemical" quality because I sampled it blind), and it does come together nicely after a while (when I do get a touch of Pasha, as some have said), but it's just not the kind of scent I prefer to wear the overwhelming majority of the time (gourmands, orientals, leathers, tobacco, even "ouds" are my favorites), and it's not any kind of "far out" creation like one might get from Smell Bent. If it was in a bottle by Dior or Chanel, selling for $75 or so, I'd say just sample first and only buy it if you really like it, assuming you've got a lot of experience with fragrances. If you don't have much experience, you can buy a fragrance like In New York and get something that roughly does the same thing, and you'll also probably "smell unique" because that one doesn't seem to have caught on.
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Toreter
This is not Aventus, this is VIKING. Get over it.
After reading all this hate about Viking, I decided to give it a go and get a 50ml decant on Sharing Thread, if it has a Sauvage vibe can´t be really that awful.
The first sniff you get when you spray Viking its a citrus-pepper smell. It turns alittle sweet after that and you can start smelling that Sauvage kindathing. The fragrance then settles and lets a nice sweet, mild, Sauvage, barber cologne, bergamot, lemony mix come out.
It is a nice fragrance, that needs to settle to give its 100%.
It is not Aventus, it is VIKING. It is different, it is expensive, it is nice, it is pleasant. Needs a few wears to explore all details, but we know that nowadays we want everything here and now.If you are patient, you will like it.

Itchynose 54 days ago
A spicier, deeper and more bitter version of Old Spice. Creamy barbershop vibe but not remarkable within the genre.+1
6.0
JoaoMartins 6 months ago
Too aromatic for me. Still a nice scent and classy for a more mature guy.+2
Hermesh 13 months ago
Fresh citrusy fragrance, with classic, but also modern nuances. No reinvention, but well done: has naturally cool-mild appearance.+2
Syzygy73 13 months ago
So, Vikings have gone from being axe-wielding manly men to metrosexuals doused in Dior Sauvage. Leif Ericsson must be crying into his mead.+4
ScentedSalon 19 months ago
Beautiful fire-n-ice unisex scent: sweet, cold, uplifting, spicy, calming, warm, soothing. Lovely bottle. First thing I've liked from Creed.+5
9.0

by Schücha
by Dory
by Dory

Popular Creed

Aventus (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Virgin Island Water by Creed Green Irish Tweed by Creed Royal Oud by Creed Silver Mountain Water (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Millésime Impérial (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Himalaya by Creed Original Vetiver by Creed Original Santal by Creed Bois du Portugal by Creed Viking by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Sublime Vanille by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Spice and Wood by Creed Erolfa by Creed Royal Water by Creed Aventus for Her by Creed Love In White (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Spring Flower (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Royal Mayfair / Windsor by Creed Tabarome Millésime by Creed