Anther by Criminal Elements

Anther is a perfume by Criminal Elements for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is leathery-animal. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesNutmeg, Bitter orange, Cocoa
Heart Notes Heart NotesNeroli, Patchouli, Ambergris
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Civet, Leather

Submitted by MRoth, last update on 18.09.2017

7.5 7.5 8.0/10

A Familiar Scent...
A week ago I wore some Amouage Epic for Men and mis-sprayed, accidentally spraying a little on my shirt. No big deal, hung up the shirt a little later. Today I took it out and could still faintly smell the Epic's base - Amouage makes some pretty powerful stuff. I put on a dash of Arabian Oud's Kalemat and went off to work. After a few hours, I smelled something strangely familiar. I stopped what I was doing and checked my wrists; that's Kalemat. Then I checked the top of my shirt where the parfumes mixed. Now my nose may not be quite as discerning as others, but I swear it smelled EXACTLY like Criminal Element's Anther. I checked again throughout the day. Yep, this mix of Kalemat heartnotes and faint Epic basenotes had Criminal Element's signature baseline dead-on (particularly Anther), albeit a touch more subdued.
7.5 10.0 7.5 8.0/10

Sun-kissed leather.
Anther opens on my skin with a dry blast of bitter orange, dusty, sweet cocoa, and hot, dry, leather. The leather sings from the very beginning, and presents as warm, dry and sweet. Like an old leather jacket sitting in the sun. Warm, comforting and strong.

As the heart moves in the leather takes on an animalic facet, with a quiet, orange blossom undertone lending it a touch of lift. Still quite sweet, but with some teeth now, Anther hits it's stride here and really shines as a sweet, dry leather-bomb. It puts me in mind of classic cars, with their leather interiors and wooden dashboards, baking in summer sun. At once calming and a little austere. I can see why people have classified this as a 'work' scent. It projects an air of confidence, calmness and a certain 'professionalism'.

The longer Anther wears on the dirtier it gets. The leather turns from sweet, dry and dusty into something quite animalic and almost feral, with a noticeable civet baring it's claws here. A big, dirty helping of patchouli shows up here as well, blending wonderfully with the ever-present leather to provide grounding and support for the lighter, sweeter notes playing out above.

All in all, a wonderful, sweet, take on leather. After trying quite a few harsh, mineral/vegetal leathers lately Anther comes as a relief and a delight, with it's sun-worn facets and easy nature. Longevity, as with most Criminal Elements frags is excellent. Sillage is firmly between moderate and heavy. Completely unisex to my nose, enjoy on warm, summer evenings with good beer and good friends.