Cuba Gold Eau de Toilette

Cuba Gold (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba

Cuba Gold (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Cuba for men. The release year is unknown. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by Fragluxe.

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepper, Grapefruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesVetiver, Lavender
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Amber

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.01.2020.

1.0 5.0 7.0 7.0/10

I’d heard of this clone and saw it for $7;
So I grabbed it instantly. I love JPG scents, and Le Male is at the top of my personal JPG list. Let me tell you people, the stories of this one being ridiculously similar are absolutely true. The opening of the cigar scent is actually more intense in some areas, albeit a tad bit “rough” or “harsh” in how it feels. It dries down rather quickly as well, but at this $7 price point, I won’t be complaining. I have a work scent to use daily without it eating into my personal stash of the legit version. For such a small price, any complaints would leave me Sounding a whiner who shouldn’t have picked it up in the first place. If I were to compare it to the standards and expectations of the higher brand, I’d be a fool. If it supersedes it, I should be grateful, period.

Does it have the same “foamy, soapy, barbershop-esque” feel to it? No it doesn’t. It’s not quite as rich and full either. Projection/sillage as good, or better? Not on my skin, no. The sillage trail is ok; and the projection feels almost “filtered”. Longevity? Absolutely fine in this department, it’s just closer to the skin. It’s still a full fragrance, it’s just not shooting very far. It’s not bad by any means, but the packaging is pretty lame. The scent is close enough, and I’ll reach for it and blast it liberally before (and during) work with no regrets (and save the real juice for some real occasions).

For the cost, no room for complaints.

Is it close enough? For work in a field that requires diligence (and brings heavy sweat), absolutely!
For a night out or a date? Well... you CAN tell that it ISN’T Le Male, and I hope you’re not THAT cheap on a date (McDonald’s isn’t the dinner spot) ;-P

Seven bucks, people; if you like Le Male and don’t want to waste juice on some occasions, it’s a no brainer. If you’re gonna compare it to the real stuff with a microscope, you should seek mental help, and/or more things to do with your time, as it was only seven bucks.

Worth the purchase? If you like Le Male, yes.

I scored this for the same price as a hamburger combo, and I know I’ll be using it a LOT. I am a happy camper.
6.0 7.0 7.0 5.5/10

SvenScent
A golden sailor with a cigar in Cuba

To be honest: I bought this perfume on the side of an order, because I wanted to have a Le Mâle, but I wanted to invest the money for the real JPG in other fragrances. I also knew from the past, when entire locations smelled of him, that I never liked the scent so much, at least not so much that I now absolutely had to have it. That the Cuba is a clone was of course known to me.

And I really must say, Cuba Gold meets the DNA of JPG Le Mâle almost one hundred percent! All too quickly, however, it became clear to me what the original did not make me love so much: the mint, which is very present throughout the entire fragrance. If the fragrances listed here at Parfumo are correct, I do wonder where the strong mint note comes from!?!? Because here, unlike at Le Mâle, no mint is mentioned at all. Another shortcoming that I quickly discovered was the boring vanilla base, which is not one of my favorites for both men's and women's fragrances. In the original, what I found out through tests is more tonka and less vanilla, which is closer to my personal taste. What I find very beautiful is the light tobacco note that this cigar - who would have thought it - actually contains! I never perceived such a one with the Gaultier.

For all those who simply want to have a very inexpensive, almost perfectly made Le Mâle clone, I can definitely recommend to buy one!
5.0 5.0 7.0 7.5/10

Anti-platonism
Ever since Plato has so badly reprimanded any form of mimesis, there has been an arrogance against imitations of all kinds throughout European intellectual history - if one dares to speak of such a history. Something obscure, dubious, even nefarious is attached to imitations. Courageous people, however, who are not afraid of such things, will enjoy the enormously cheap "Cuba Gold".

The perfume reveals its essence instantly after spraying: a sweet, softly washed freshness that lasts for several hours and is only slightly inferior to "Le Male" in terms of intensity. For me, the scent is also very close and does not fill the room at all. Of course this doesn't have to be bad, but I prefer to confront all bystanders with my olfactory preferences.

The bottle certainly does not have an overly attractive effect on most people. This doesn't bother me at all; however, I noticed that the spray mechanism was no longer fully functional after just a few days (it now requires multiple actuations) - the enormously low price has its price.

Anti-Platonists and smart spenders who have already enjoyed "Le Male" should warmly recommend this fragrance, despite its small flaws
3.0 7.0 9.0 6.0/10

No! No! No! This one's for the nostril
I was just speechless for a moment. Today Cuba Gold arrived at my place, 4,88€ for 100ml by the way, and already it was acknowledged with bitchiness. "What sex shop did that thing come from?!" was one of the friendlier sayings. Well, whoever's got the damage doesn't have to make a mockery of it. Of course I have the damage, at least in terms of perfume, but I couldn't let it sit on me. Good. Ugly bottle. Check. Spray it on them, I thought, so they'd chase those insolence all the way home. So I start the counterattack full of energy and lo and behold - the first mocking voices became quieter. And when we talked about the price, you fell silent. And with what? With right!
Yes, Cuba Gold is certainly not a fragrance that can compete with olfactory masterpieces, at least I've known that since I've been more involved with perfumes. But there was also a time before that. A time before Parfumo, a time when Boss Bottled ruled my world, and a time when "a country before our time" was still within reach of the television program. It's been a long time, but I never had one at the time. Le Male. And also with Douglas I left these lewd silhouettes behind, that's how it was back then. But I was curious already. Up to le Male it was not enough, but the alternative was not far. Thanks to Parfumo.

I don't really have much to say about the scent itself. It's nice to have tasted it. From vague memories he reminds me in many facets of Boss Bottled, the signature scent of earlier times. The fragrance opens fresh and lively and then loses itself in everyday life. Probably also because this composition must be a recipe for success. What remains is an animal sweet men's scent. Slightly woody and somehow difficult to grasp. But all the longer present at the wearer. It still holds on to my friends and will probably outlast subsequent generations. That's what they got from their comments now.
Cuba Gold wins
6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0/10

Leimbacher
If it's not enough to be a sailor, you become a communist
I could have sworn that I already crossed the path at the beginning of my fragrance journey "Cuba Gold" and contributed a Kommi to the most famous of all Le Male-clones. It's not like that. I make up for that with this, he is now even in my possession thanks to a generous perfume. How long, I can't say, is it the perfect fragrance to give away, especially with a large collection and a lot of experience. But as long as I do, I will enjoy it and praise it discreetly. Maybe he even goes on holiday thanks to the handiness of the Castro memory bottle.

As for the content of this sleek cigar, anyone who knows Le Male will never be able to overlook the similarity. Who knows the Gaultier flagship well, maybe even has followed it over the decades, will sniff out nuanced differences. "Cuba Gold" doesn't smell Cuban, it doesn't smell golden, it doesn't smell cigar. Much more, it is a sharp, petrol-like and dashing sugar scent (lavender + tonka), with its unique and quite ingenious DNA I wonder again and again why the Kurkdjian masterpiece hasn't drawn much bigger circles within the industry. Maybe it's just too easy to sniff out and no other perfumer or company wanted to give themselves this nakedness.

The narrow-priced cigar clearly tends towards the Ur-Le Male and less towards the watered down, more defensive current variant (which I can also take pleasure in because of its variability and versatility). "Cuba Gold" is certainly not a simpleton and he's fun for a short time, may be called sexy and doesn't throw himself at anyone's neck for too long. For a time, it was the first choice for savers (together with Miros "Cabal Pour Homme"). In the cupboards of 14-20 year olds the thing doesn't look bad next to the golden tequila and under the Scarface poster... At some point, however, one recognizes his weaknesses such as a more synthetic introduction or a flatter, more boring aura.

Flacon: handy and casual and a little prollo
Sillage & durability: not at the level of the Ur-Le Males, but more steadfast and stronger than the current version of the Gaultier bestseller - 6 hours.

Conclusion: Le Male with nicotine swim wings - still one of the best copies of the 90s favourite. Price and performance are striking. An entry-level fragrance for the young gentleman. Not yet of world but of ambition
7.0 7.0 7.0 7.0/10

Carlitos01
"Clone of" or "Cloned by"
I don't have many doubts that "Le Male" is what the market considers the original fragrance and that Cuba Gold is a very well made look alike of JPG bestseller, although some people claim that Cuba Gold launching preceded JPG Le Male. I own both of them and I don't care.
Usually I don't like to review clones just because they are clones, but now and then I may give an opinion like "This fragrance X is a very good clone of fragrance Y" (or a bad clone...).
Having said that I would like to make a statement and to tell you a story:

Statement: Cuba Gold is probably the best market clone of a very well known designer fragrance called "Le Male" designed by Jean Paul Gaultier.

Story: I sprayed Cuba Gold this morning, twice in my chest and twice in my hair above my ears. So, a total of 6 sprays.
My wife told me during breakfast this morning: "Today you'r wearing Le Male. I do like it. You are a lot more yummy with the real thing. Just put aside that Cuba thing you have".
Today I had a day off. I wandered a bit and went to the bank, to a mall and to a Leroy Merlin shop. I received 8 compliments and two of them identifying the "Le Male" scent.
I never said to my wife that I really use Cuba Gold often pretending I sprayed JPG Le Male. But I really consider doing so today.

I will try the same trick tomorrow with Cuba Prestige... It will be an harder challenge as my wife loves every drop of juice produced by Thierry Mugler.
10.0 5.0 5.0/10

Avoirdupois
Just about passes as a cologne/perfume, but not recommended.
Four of these cigar-shaped "fragrances" came in a box: red, blue, orange and gold. This gold is by far the best of a poor group. While the other three are cheap & nasty, this fellow just barely makes the grade as a real scent, but it is of very minor interest, with nothing memorable about it. Average at best, some floral, sweet tones.
7.5 2.5 2.5 9.0/10

Unisex gold
first off I'm a woman. I got the mini set of four, gold, blue, orange & red. Although I actually liked them all this is my favorite of the four by a long shot.

The main notes I get are lavender, woods and either vanilla or tonka bean. Very sweet and warm. The bergamot is light, adding just a slight touch of crisp freshness. Very nice and easily unisex.

Lasting power and throw left much to be desired but being it is so inexpensive reapplying wont bother me a bit.

I will definately be getting a full sized bottle of this, maybe 2 =)

(edited for typo)

Carlitos01 7 months ago
Cuba Gold is a very well made look alike of JPG bestseller. I own and use both of them and I don't care. This is the best Cuba scent by far.+5
MrHonest 2 years ago
6 backup bottles and counting...I go through this stuff like water. Better, cheaper and more masculine than Le Male. I just LOVE.THIS.SMELL!+7

by Thorben180
by Madkat
by Couchlock
by Couchlock

Popular Cuba

Cuba Royal (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Prestige by Cuba Cuba Red by Cuba Cuba Orange by Cuba Cuba Black (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Cuba Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Cuba Brazil by Cuba Cuba Jungle - Tiger by Cuba Prestige Black by Cuba Prestige Legacy (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Cuba Wild Heart (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Cuba Jungle - Snake by Cuba Cuba City - New York for Women by Cuba Cuba Winner by Cuba Cuba Brown (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Cuba Strass - Heartbreaker by Cuba Cuba Jungle - Zebra by Cuba Cuba Heartbreaker by Cuba Cuba Green (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Cuba Strass - Tiger by Cuba