Cuba Gold Eau de Toilette

Cuba Gold (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba

Cuba Gold (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Cuba for men. The release year is unknown. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by Fragluxe.

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepper, Grapefruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesVetiver, Lavender
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Amber

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 28.03.2019

3.0 7.0 9.0 6.0/10

No! No! No! This one's for the nostril
I was just speechless for a moment. Today Cuba Gold arrived at my place, 4,88€ for 100ml by the way, and already it was acknowledged with bitchiness. "What sex shop did that thing come from?!" was one of the friendlier sayings. Well, whoever's got the damage doesn't have to make a mockery of it. Of course I have the damage, at least in terms of perfume, but I couldn't let it sit on me. Good. Ugly bottle. Check. Spray it on them, I thought, so they'd chase those insolence all the way home. So I start the counterattack full of energy and lo and behold - the first mocking voices became quieter. And when we talked about the price, you fell silent. And with what? With right!
Yes, Cuba Gold is certainly not a fragrance that can compete with olfactory masterpieces, at least I've known that since I've been more involved with perfumes. But there was also a time before that. A time before Parfumo, a time when Boss Bottled ruled my world, and a time when "a country before our time" was still within reach of the television program. It's been a long time, but I never had one at the time. Le Male. And also with Douglas I left these lewd silhouettes behind, that's how it was back then. But I was curious already. Up to le Male it was not enough, but the alternative was not far. Thanks to Parfumo.

I don't really have much to say about the scent itself. It's nice to have tasted it. From vague memories he reminds me in many facets of Boss Bottled, the signature scent of earlier times. The fragrance opens fresh and lively and then loses itself in everyday life. Probably also because this composition must be a recipe for success. What remains is an animal sweet men's scent. Slightly woody and somehow difficult to grasp. But all the longer present at the wearer. It still holds on to my friends and will probably outlast subsequent generations. That's what they got from their comments now.
Cuba Gold wins
6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0/10

Leimbacher
If it's not enough to be a sailor, you become a communist
I could have sworn that I already crossed the path at the beginning of my fragrance journey "Cuba Gold" and contributed a Kommi to the most famous of all Le Male-clones. It's not like that. I make up for that with this, he is now even in my possession thanks to a generous perfume. How long, I can't say, is it the perfect fragrance to give away, especially with a large collection and a lot of experience. But as long as I do, I will enjoy it and praise it discreetly. Maybe he even goes on holiday thanks to the handiness of the Castro memory bottle.

As for the content of this sleek cigar, anyone who knows Le Male will never be able to overlook the similarity. Who knows the Gaultier flagship well, maybe even has followed it over the decades, will sniff out nuanced differences. "Cuba Gold" doesn't smell Cuban, it doesn't smell golden, it doesn't smell cigar. Much more, it is a sharp, petrol-like and dashing sugar scent (lavender + tonka), with its unique and quite ingenious DNA I wonder again and again why the Kurkdjian masterpiece hasn't drawn much bigger circles within the industry. Maybe it's just too easy to sniff out and no other perfumer or company wanted to give themselves this nakedness.

The narrow-priced cigar clearly tends towards the Ur-Le Male and less towards the watered down, more defensive current variant (which I can also take pleasure in because of its variability and versatility). "Cuba Gold" is certainly not a simpleton and he's fun for a short time, may be called sexy and doesn't throw himself at anyone's neck for too long. For a time, it was the first choice for savers (together with Miros "Cabal Pour Homme"). In the cupboards of 14-20 year olds the thing doesn't look bad next to the golden tequila and under the Scarface poster... At some point, however, one recognizes his weaknesses such as a more synthetic introduction or a flatter, more boring aura.

Flacon: handy and casual and a little prollo
Sillage & durability: not at the level of the Ur-Le Males, but more steadfast and stronger than the current version of the Gaultier bestseller - 6 hours.

Conclusion: Le Male with nicotine swim wings - still one of the best copies of the 90s favourite. Price and performance are striking. An entry-level fragrance for the young gentleman. Not yet of world but of ambition
7.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

Carlitos01
"Clone of" or "Cloned by"
I don't have many doubts that "Le Male" is what the market considers the original fragrance and that Cuba Gold is a very well made look alike of JPG bestseller, although some people claim that Cuba Gold launching preceded JPG Le Male. I own both of them and I don't care.
Usually I don't like to review clones just because they are clones, but now and then I may give an opinion like "This fragrance X is a very good clone of fragrance Y" (or a bad clone...).
Having said that I would like to make a statement and to tell you a story:

Statement: Cuba Gold is probably the best market clone of a very well known designer fragrance called "Le Male" designed by Jean Paul Gaultier.

Story: I sprayed Cuba Gold this morning, twice in my chest and twice in my hair above my ears. So, a total of 6 sprays.
My wife told me during breakfast this morning: "Today you'r wearing Le Male. I do like it. You are a lot more yummy with the real thing. Just put aside that Cuba thing you have".
Today I had a day off. I wandered a bit and went to the bank, to a mall and to a Leroy Merlin shop. I received 8 compliments and two of them identifying the "Le Male" scent.
I never said to my wife that I really use Cuba Gold often pretending I sprayed JPG Le Male. But I really consider doing so today.

I will try the same trick tomorrow with Cuba Prestige... It will be an harder challenge as my wife loves every drop of juice produced by Thierry Mugler.
10.0 5.0 5.0/10

Avoirdupois
Just about passes as a cologne/perfume, but not recommended.
Four of these cigar-shaped "fragrances" came in a box: red, blue, orange and gold. This gold is by far the best of a poor group. While the other three are cheap & nasty, this fellow just barely makes the grade as a real scent, but it is of very minor interest, with nothing memorable about it. Average at best, some floral, sweet tones.
7.5 2.5 2.5 9.0/10

Unisex gold
first off I'm a woman. I got the mini set of four, gold, blue, orange & red. Although I actually liked them all this is my favorite of the four by a long shot.

The main notes I get are lavender, woods and either vanilla or tonka bean. Very sweet and warm. The bergamot is light, adding just a slight touch of crisp freshness. Very nice and easily unisex.

Lasting power and throw left much to be desired but being it is so inexpensive reapplying wont bother me a bit.

I will definately be getting a full sized bottle of this, maybe 2 =)

(edited for typo)

MrHonest 17 months ago
6 backup bottles and counting...I go through this stuff like water. Better, cheaper and more masculine than Le Male. I just LOVE.THIS.SMELL!+5

by DarkMystery
by Dernamenlose
by Madkat
by Madkat

Popular Cuba

Cuba Gold (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Prestige by Cuba Cuba Red by Cuba Cuba Royal (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Cuba Orange by Cuba Cuba Black (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Cuba Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Cuba Jungle - Tiger by Cuba Cuba Brazil by Cuba Prestige Black by Cuba Cuba Jungle - Snake by Cuba Cuba City - New York for Women by Cuba Prestige Legacy (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Cuba Wild Heart (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Cuba Winner by Cuba Cuba Strass - Heartbreaker by Cuba Cuba Jungle - Zebra by Cuba Cuba Heartbreaker by Cuba Cuba Green (Eau de Toilette) by Cuba Cuba Strass - Tiger by Cuba