Cashmere Mist (1994) Eau de Toilette

Cashmere Mist (Eau de Toilette) by DKNY / Donna Karan
Bottle Design Stephen Weiss

Cashmere Mist (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by DKNY / Donna Karan for women and was released in 1994. The scent is powdery-sweet. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Amber, Bergamot, Iris, Lily-of-the-valley, Moroccan jasmine, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Suede, Ylang-ylang, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.08.2019.

6.0 6.0 7.0 4.5/10

Chalky, powdery, and suede
When a friend gifted this half-full bottle to me, I was intrigued to give it a go. It is, however, unfortunate about the inclusion of the suede note because I loathe suede and leathery smelling perfumes; they almost make me gag. I think the suede note is giving it almost an earthy feel, combined with the cedar. There is definitely vanilla in here. It’s very powdery and cozy. I get a strong tonka bean smell in the drydown, but that is not listed in the notes. The drydown is also very chalky to my nose. As other reviewers have noted, it is also quite synthetic.

This perfume actually reminds me strongly of Ellen Tracy Bronze…My curiosity is getting the better of me…

Okay, so had to test the Bronze with the Cashmere Mist; I have two sprays of Bronze on my right arm, and two sprays of Cashmere Mist on my left. They are nearly identical, except NOW I can smell the strong suede note in the Cashmere! It is almost oily smelling; I don’t like it at all. I prefer the Bronze because it is fresher and lighter. Both perfumes have the same profile: powdery, sweet, and cozy. Bronze is found in every Marshall’s and TJMaxx in America for less than ten dollars, to boot.

The sillage of Cashmere Mist is average, I’d say, and the longevity seems to be about 6-7 hours. It is stronger and lasts longer than Bronze, but again, I prefer the Bronze because it lacks that oily suede note.

Overall, I rate Cashmere Mist as a 4.5/10. If it didn’t have the suede note, I still wouldn’t need it because I already own its doppelganger in Bronze! Thankfully, I received it free from a friend.
5.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Dalmajen
An Old friend ..revisited.
I remember when I first purchased this fragrance...I first came upon this perfume, while visiting family in the U.S. (In the 90's) I loved it, it was so soft, yet...had character. I was very impressed with the lovely soft powdery aspect, and had several bottles. Then, something went wrong, My dislike for the citrus opening became stronger. I think this not out of the ordinary..somehow our tastes change, and we just go off certain notes. I have never loved citrus, but can tolerate it in small doses. Some of my very favorites, have bergamot, so I don't reject a fragrance based on the top notes. I purchased a bottle, and decided it wasn't for me at this time, so packed it away. I always think, if we loved it at some stage, and go off it...just pack it away, in the box, and forget about it for a while. So, decided to take it out today, and spend some time wearing it again. It's quite strange, but perhaps I have been wearing a few sweet fragrances..and it has changed my perception ...but I can somehow make a different judgment on this scent. Yes, the citrus opening is there, but somehow, fleeting. Then the suede comes in...and picks up on the powdery aura. Then, the vanilla comes in, but ever so lightly. Maybe I will wear you again...but the magic has somehow faded....
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Smooth and cuddly
Fragrances don't usually get cozier or creamier than this. Cashmere Mist gives me that calm, tranquil feeling, a sense of peaceful, uninterrupted sleep.

Creamy, powdery and somewhat milky, the colour white is a perfect way of describing this fragrance. It's pretty yet also sensual, very feminine and addictive.

Cashmere Mist is neither too floral, too powdery, too vanillary or too creamy. It's a nicely balanced blend, pleasing to almost every nose.

Sexy but also innocent, Cashmere Mist is a fragrance that I would recommend for any occasion and any season. It is true that there are many scents out there that are similar to Cashmere Mist, however I do still refer to this fragrance as being one of a kind.

I had no issues with the lasting power, I thought it lasted considerably well, with moderately strong sillage. Wearing Cashmere Mist is not like wearing a perfume, it feels very natural and soothing on the skin. I highly recommend.
7.5 5.0 5.0 4.0/10

More Like Powdered Synthetic Suede Than Cashmere
CASHMERE MIST opens a bit acridly, to my nose--apparently this is intended, as the only top note listed is bergamot--which is a rather sharp citrus. CM then moves into strange and uncharted territory.

I love the combination of vanilla, jasmine, and cashmere wood in Victoria's Secret CASHMERE edp (a short-lived launch in the now-discontinued Parfums Intimes line), so clearly those are not the culprits in CASHMERE MIST, nor is the combination of the three (sometimes individual notes are beautiful but when mixed together they become like the protagonists of IN COLD BLOOD!).

By further process of elimination, during my final wearing of CASHMERE MIST, I deduced that what I disliked about this fragrance, which clearly aspires to be a skin scent, is not the musk, nor the amber, nor the sandalwood, all of which I appreciate in many other perfumes.

No, what I found mildly repellent in CASHMERE MIST was the synthetic suede note, which was very detectable to my nose and somewhat unsettling, in addition to being very long-lasting. Why did this note bother me so? Perhaps because it smelled like something trying to smell like suede. It did not really smell like suede. This artificiality marred the rest of the composition, rendering CASHMERE MIST not entirely unwearable, but also not something I would ever consider buying again.

I swapped my large bottle away.
7.5 5.0/10

Synthetic powder
Thank you Murcielago for the sample.
That’s not for me.
It starts warm-powdery with a light, fresh touch. But right from the start synthetic notes swing along. My nose turns outside-in automatically.
The longer the scent stays on my skin the more extreme it gets. Not really pushy, but persistent.
I can smell the American preference for strong synthetic scents. The urban way. At the country side it might be different. No hard feelings here, please, but tastes across the world are very different.
The little apples from dear old Donnas orchard are better.

Bcars10 2 years ago
What?! No tonka in this?? I smell tonka. And chalk. It's a bit strange, and I'm not sure if this is how I want to smell. Maybe in ten years.+2
6.0
6.0
4.5

Discussions about Cashmere Mist (Eau de Toilette)

Briarthorn in Perfumes & Brands

mein Liebling-DUFT CASHMERE MIST.. EDP liess ich mir aus Amerika liefern :-)
by Sorceress
by Sorceress
by TheDuchess
by TheDuchess

Popular DKNY / Donna Karan

Be Delicious (Eau de Parfum) by DKNY / Donna Karan Pure DKNY - Vanilla / A Drop of Vanilla by DKNY / Donna Karan Black Cashmere by DKNY / Donna Karan DKNY Women (Energizing Eau de Parfum) by DKNY / Donna Karan Be Delicious Fresh Blossom (Eau de Parfum) by DKNY / Donna Karan Delicious Night by DKNY / Donna Karan Golden Delicious (Eau de Parfum) by DKNY / Donna Karan Sweet Delicious Creamy Meringue by DKNY / Donna Karan DK Men by DKNY / Donna Karan Chaos (2008) by DKNY / Donna Karan Gold (Eau de Parfum) by DKNY / Donna Karan Red Delicious by DKNY / Donna Karan Pure DKNY - Verbena / A Drop of Verbena by DKNY / Donna Karan Pure DKNY - Rose / A Drop of Rose by DKNY / Donna Karan My NY by DKNY / Donna Karan Sweet Delicious Pink Macaron by DKNY / Donna Karan Donna Karan (Eau de Parfum) by DKNY / Donna Karan Nectar Love by DKNY / Donna Karan DKNY Men (2009) (Eau de Toilette) by DKNY / Donna Karan Be Delicious Men (Eau de Toilette) by DKNY / Donna Karan