Chaos (2008)

Version from 2008
Chaos (2008) by DKNY / Donna Karan

Chaos (2008) is a popular perfume by DKNY / Donna Karan for women and was released in 2008. The scent is spicy-woody. It was last marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Lavender, Sage, Chamomile, Coriander, Exotic woods, Amber, Musk

Submitted by Tessie, last update on 05.08.2019

5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Spicy sandalwood
I am at a loss of understanding as to why Donna Karan discontinued many of her earlier fragrances. Thankfully she has brought them back in the form of limited releases in selected stores. I feel incredibly privileged to have the opportunity to try both Black Cashmere and Chaos before they disappear off the market for good.

Chaos, to my nose, is a clean, unique and somewhat soapy, sandalwood based fragrance. It's complex, distinctive and expensive smelling.

It's not too heavy, like some woodsy scents tend to be. You could possibly get away with wearing this in the Summer and Spring months. I find the scent to be very relaxing, non-gender specific and thoroughly enjoyable.

The hints of oriental spiciness throughout the composition does bear some similarities to Black Cashmere, just perhaps not as rich, sensual and dark. It's a beautiful fragrance, particularly one that will appeal to any lovers of intense woodsiness and understated mystery.

The 'chaos' comes from its slightly animalistic tone, which I find rather arousing on both men and women. This is not a fragrance for the faint of heart or those who consider themselves refined. A hint of carnation every now and then fools you into thinking this is pretty and feminine until the woods force you to think otherwise.

Some reviewers are saying incense, and while it is spicy and smokey in some instances, it is not entirely incense to my nose. Regardless of what people describe it as or perceive it to be, Chaos is a truly hauntingly beautiful fragrance that deserves to be around for a long time.
9.0/10

Perfection...
I really don't know what to write down about Chaos...

As Sherapop already mentioned, this scent has nothing to do with "Chaos". my nose perceives the most harmonious floral spicy blend I ever came across..
So soft yet so luscious and filled with intoxicating images,
making you feel like you have somekind of deja-vu..
Yes.. Chaos is the perfume you always carried inside you, and when your senses inhale it for the first, you recognise it and feel the urge to embrace it, like the long lost child you have in you..
2.5 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

D.K.N.Y Chaos
With the complexity of woods and spices
what would to be described as? what comes
to your mind? for me it makes me think of a warm cup of chamomile and cinnamon tea
that's what would i describe it.
Cinnamon is the base of the perfume for top middle and base notes which it's dominates also dries a bit to allow
saffron with it's velvet and spice and woods scent to drift though don't underestimate the delicate chamomile flower it may be withe but stands on it's own with it's strong herbal note.

Carnation with powdery nuances starts
the middle heart of the fragrance dries to the bottom of the notes with dry unsweetened sandalwood powdery vanilla
and musk.
i would compare chaos and issey's
Le feu d,issey the dry bread scents because they lack the oily texture that is used in most perfumes and give it a more natural aroma healthier a bit more
outdoorsy feel then most designer perfumes one of the unique pieces in my collection.
7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Unchaotic Saffron Beauty
I may finally have found the ultimate saffron perfume! This vintage sample of Donna Karan CHAOS offers a hefty core of saffron which is buttressed by a variety of dark oriental elements to produce a gorgeous tapestry of scents. The saffron dominates from start to finish on my skin, but there is so much more going on than just that note, which swirls together with wood, incense, and herbs in an enticing and magical way.

I have been dissatisfied with some other saffron perfumes, including AP SAFRAN TROUBLANT, which strikes me as a Demeter-like culinary facsimile of saffron rice. I really do love the inviting aroma of saffron rice—but in the kitchen, not on my skin! Other compositions I've tried have been more complex but unbalanced or incoherent. Still others boast saffron as a note though it remains hidden from my nose.

CHAOS manages to avoid all of these mistakes. The only real complaint I could even begin to make would be that the perfume seems to me to be misnamed, as this composition is not at all chaotic. That's no criticism of this beautiful perfume, though, which has fairly big sillage and excellent longevity on top of everything else.

If it is true, as some have suggested, that the recent re-launch is of the original CHAOS formula, I'll definitely be adding this splendid creation to my collection!

by CosmicLove