DK Men by DKNY / Donna Karan
Bottle Design: Stephen Weiss

DK Men is a popular perfume by DKNY / Donna Karan for men and was released in 1994. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Citric notes, Spices, Tobacco, Suede

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 08.11.2019

The name "Fuel for Men" was apparently only the slogan for this fragrance at first. Only with the re-release in 2008, the fragrance officially appeared under this name.

8.0 8.0 9.0/10

The Holy Grail...
....or the most legendary men's fragrance since Patou pour Homme.

One can rightly claim that this fragrance is one of the most sought-after and rare fragrances you can buy for money. Almost mystified by its enormous rarity. In my opinion, there is only one fragrance left that can top FUEL. And this is Patou pour Homme. The original version goes without saying. Not the Reformulated Plörre.

With no other fragrance (except perhaps New West for Her) I had such a desire after the first test. That's the scent I wanted. But unfortunately I was just 14 years old in 1994, already a scent affine at that time and completely misunderstood. FUEL cost a lot of money back then. And I didn't. Besides, I could only test it in the big city. Our small-scale drugstore didn't even have something so exotic. To cut a long story short. Only since this year I am proud owner of a 75ml bottle full to the brim. Just 25 years after my first scent orgasm. How is that possible?

First of all it should be mentioned that the bottle as it can be seen above disappeared sometime and gave way to a full glass bottle without cap, metal frame and already firmly integrated spray head. This version I bought years later of course and was confused. He smelled much more intense and somehow different back then. REFORMULATION!!! But I had no idea about that at the time.

I don't think the scents are correct. And lo and behold, I found the following information on the net:

Head
Citrus fruits, juniper, pineapple

Heart
Mayflower, Amber, Almond, Suede, Tobacco

Base notes
Sandalwood, Lavender, Musk

This unique blend of exotic fruits, leather and this fine almond note keeps flashing me to the new. So far, I've only worn it three times. Too precious! If you want to know more about the fragrance itself, read through the recession of Can777. In my opinion, he's said everything there is to say. FUEL related of course

The bottle, as shown above, is traded on Ebay at absolute moon prices. Under € 300,00 (and more) nothing goes. € 50,00 for mini bottles will be offered without red as well. But sometimes you are lucky ;-) Even if you have to wait 25 years
8.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

Tacheles
Have a nice day.
Welcome to Talk Talk Talk. My name is Dorian Wurstbusch and I welcome you here in the studio and at home at the TV screens.

Today we are once again guests of a man who rarely takes a leaf out of his mouth, who goes where it hurts and is still very popular with Douglas.
Please welcome with me Schoork!

"Hello"

Glad you could make it. They haven't heard from you in a while. So I'm all the happier you're here. What was the reason for abstinence, you have run out of scents?

"No, that wasn't the reason. Mainly was the oversaturation and the fact that I have found for myself to be too deep in it and I have been noticed too much negative. I needed distance and time to analyze my observations. Now I think it's time to talk about one or the other."

But you have a fragrance with you?

"Of course. DK Men. The positive thing about a community are the users who selflessly provide fragrances to get to know them. After I had announced that I did not know this fragrance, the user Ajlen wrote to me to ask me if I was up for a test to get to know this fragrance, which is no longer produced. I found this sensational and is also a reason why I would like to talk about this fragrance today."

We are curious. How would you characterize the fragrance?

"Ledrig spicy, I'd say. But not dark at all, as one would expect from leather fragrances. It's actually something of a new car."

Very interesting. Why are such fragrances taken out of the assortment?

"Sometimes you can only surmise. Ultimately, it is always a question of sales and what is currently modern. Young people today tend to jump on the fresh scents, they don't fit into them anymore. It is an adult scent, elegant and noble and also not loud. This also speaks for the story that the fragrance was designed by Donna Karan to please her husband, who was probably a car fanatic. Maybe the scent would have enlarged the hole in the ozone layer. Who knows?"

So new car smell and that was it?

"No, not that. When you spray, you smell a light leather note, which then becomes a little fruity and creamy. I can't define it more precisely, but a citric fruit lies on fine leather. Then the whole thing becomes spicier and a little sweet swings along. But everything takes place on a suede sheet that works in the background. The cream could come from an almond. It's fine."

Sounds to me like a fragrance that is really a pity that it is no longer produced.

"Yes, it would still fit today. He doesn't have this rubber note like Bvlgari Black, or Midnight in Paris, but he goes a bit in that direction. Over the years Iris has replaced leather in men's perfumes so far, but there are still these fragrances, so I wouldn't call them unique, but it's still a pity, even if the durability and sillage is not the best, but something is always something."

Speaking of. You started talking about negative things that you noticed. Do you want to discuss this?

"Well, where do I start? As I said, the community is basically great and there are a lot of fine people I like. I have noticed, however, that some people are no longer interested in perfume, but only in competition, or in their own ego, sadly."

In what way? Can you explain that?

"In the beginning some people had the impression how many comments you make in a week, then during the day and finally per hour. This is left to everyone and is free for everyone, but I find it as assembly line work, annoying and seems to have an attention deficit. I started back then and today I can understand that this does not go down well. Which I'm not talking about whole new users.

But only noticeable, if you deal with it daily, or?

"Yes exactly and is with a reason also times away to stay. It's good for you and less annoying. You reflect on yourself from time to time and realize you don't have to write about everyone's shit. Dk Men is now a fragrance I find worth writing about. This has a beautiful history of origin, is a spicy leathery smell, which comes to the fore very well at men starting from 35 in the autumn."

But everybody can decide for himself about which scent he wants to report.

"Absolutely. I'm just talking about me. But what I always find strange is when someone writes a comment and then a statement about the same fragrance. Conversely, if I write a statement and the scent tells me more after days, weeks or months, I can understand that if I write another comment, but like this? Is this about dots? Has the author forgotten the description of the fragrance in his shabby lyric and instead of adapting the Kommi thrown in a statement, or are we back at the competition? I call this Fishing for Follower and if you don't have much in your life, you'll be happy if it works. I take here long-time users out of this criticism also. They have to chum up and don't need to collect."

Sounds now hard and not assignable.

"Correct, that's based on observation and circumstantial evidence. I once wrote a comment, not so long ago, it wasn't long, it was written normally, without much Tam Tam and it lost a trophy. I don't keep up, but since it was new and I had some answers for you I wanted to thank you for it, it was noticeable. The same happened to a statement a few days later. In both cases the same user in the top lists overtook me. I don't care, but coincidence? Maybe so. Since this user is active and penetrating but every good comment idea again and again verwurstet in the hope again to be successful and come to me there doubts whether there is not nevertheless the Ego a role, because one has otherwise nothing"

Strong tobacco, some won't like that.

"It doesn't have to be. In the end, these are my observations and I don't need his award if they are not meant honestly. How deep does one have to sink to get confirmation in a perfume forum and fake it if one doesn't get it in real life? By the way, I have not only noticed this in myself and that others also lose awards. It's not about trophies either, but about the attention deficit of this user."

And what happens now for you personally?

"Let's see. There is another blog coming the days, which I think is still the most honest, because as far as I know, there are no points for it. Otherwise, less perfume, more real life, then I don't get to hear so much here and that's good. And when I get to know a scent again, then I'm back and write about it, because it's about the scent and I like to tell a story about it for fun without imagining how many trophies I'll get for it beforehand."

Would you recommend DK Men to women as well?

"If the guy fits, that's for sure. I think it's a masculine scent that works better on a man. That's my feeling, but everybody has to know for himself."

At the end of our show again. We would like to thank Schoork and wish all spectators a great day.
10.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

Suggestion
As far as my opinion about expensive sports cars is concerned, I have become very realistic. They are usually very uncomfortable, very noisy while driving, extremely expensive to repair and maintain and highly unsuitable if you want to go on holiday with a woman like mine. This refers to the usually very small boot, which has little room for much luggage. And when I say a lot, I mean a lot. Extremely much! Nevertheless, I like sports cars like a lot of men, of course. Especially when they're fresh out of the box. Say: New are! Standing in front of it is of course something completely different than sitting in it. The smell that a new car emits in the interior is probably known to many of us. Let's describe it in one word: Flawless! Here is a small example of what this olfactory suggestion can do to us and the deep subconscious. Or better said DK Men!

I was very lucky to get a full and unused bottle of this fantastic perfume. The joy about it was huge! I have known this fragrance since it first appeared, but had not worn it since the 90s. I have always liked him very much, honestly said but never knew why exactly. It was, of course, hung up immediately. And of course I was immediately overwhelmed again by his presence and incredible initial projection. Soon after, I had to take the dog out. I took the elevator downstairs and walked for a good half an hour. Back home I pressed the button of the elevator with a thousand thoughts in my head. The door opens and I entered the elevator car. I was in an elevator, but olfaktorisch seen I was in a luxury body, sports car, new car or car dealership. DK Men was still smelling in him. The aura of the fragrance still floated there, about half an hour after I had left it. I had thought lost completely forgotten that I had hung him up before I went out and was fascinated what I got olfactorically suggested. A new sports car, dismantled into fragrant atoms!

Conclusion
The power of olfactory suggestion should not be underestimated. And DK Men does that more than well. This fragrance is unique in its effect, radiance and composition. And it doesn't surprise me a bit why he was and still is so successful with so many men. And the same goes for women. I deliberately didn't mention any fragrances, because you can't take DK Men apart at all. He's a whole and he looks like one. Complex, multi-layered and dense. In order to make it a bit clumsy, coarse and not very serious DK Men smells like suede or suede leather, a fruity-citric leather care product and sweet synthetic rubber gaskets, underlaid with a spicy tobacco note. Maybe the salesman's?! That may sound weird now, but it's not. The combination of the scents is ingenious. I don't know any perfume that's so authentic after an expensive,
new, flawless new car. None! You could undoubtedly use it to fragrance a showroom to boost sales. Donna Karan wanted to make her husband Stephen Weiss happy with the fragrance when she created DK Men, who had died in the meantime. It should be the smell of his favorite car. A tribute to racing and to himself. Her greatest love. This undertaking was probably more than successful in my opinion. Stephen Weiss had slightly modified the unique, stylized gear-shift bottle in his very own, personal and artistic way as a sculptor. And I think he's an asset to any male collection. Not to mention the content. An absolutely unique fragrance that is second to none!

If I would see myself as a sports car, I would say the paint is already off in some places, but the primer is still on it and I'm at least still checkbook and fast. But with DK Men as a fragrance, the flaws don't attract any attention anyway!
10.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

ScentSlave
Oh how I wish you were still here;
This was my signature scent through the collage years, and I’ve been longing for something even REMOTELY comparable. This is and will always be my absolute favorite.

The darkness, to the swagger it just GIVES... and the complements it brought me.... oh nostalgia is killing me in scent as we speak....
8.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

The Dark Knight of the Fragrance World
First of all: it is a unique fragrance.

The fuel for real men. It explodes like the fuel in the combustion chamber of an engine.
It has the strength and expressiveness almost like gasoline. Just fuel. Male and very distinctive. Nothing for just spraying on. It should be well considered when and where you wear it, if you wear it at all.

Hot juniper paired with fruity pineapple, meets creamy almond with rough, angular leather and spices. A really sharp-edged scent. It has something almost lacquer-like about it. Not for sissies, and it takes courage to wear it. Polarizing, for some noses certainly also deterrent.

The bottle is unique, as is the fragrance. He's got a lot of borrowing from the alien movies.

Sillage and shelf life are above average
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Playful and yet mature
Most of the people who had already dealt with fragrances at that time will probably remember the conspicuous spacy bottle.

Somehow you couldn't get around suppressing your own curiosity and sniffing out what might be in there. Probably not only I had expected a totally futuristic over-scent, which could beam one into another olfactory dimension. Maybe something synthetic had been expected.

But from the sprayer comes a rather organic, warm-sweet to creamy appearing surge of relatively familiar ingredients.
In front, a few minimal citric splashes with a hint of pineapple. In the background some musk wafts slowly into the mixture. Also a bit of lavender and a soft amber will attract your attention easily. In between, a little almond flashes through like a casual flash, which is less noticeable on the skin than on paper.

This fuel has an enormous presence and durability. At the very end you can still perceive some patchouli and sandalwood for a longer time, perhaps also a hint of cinnamon.

All together Fuel for Men looks sweet and woody as well as noble and spicy, yes - even a little playful but with adult charm. Somehow he has a certain sexyness with discreet creamy powdery beginnings, but personally he was too wintry for me. Perhaps the apparent discrepancy between the bottle and its contents hindered me.

Later I got myself John Varvatos, who almost has the same olfactory notch, but suggests something different from the given notes.

The dark side of the moon - DK Men (1994)
by Parma