Amber Kiso (2018)

Amber Kiso by D.S. & Durga

Amber Kiso is a new perfume by D.S. & Durga for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is leathery-smoky. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCryptomeria, Frankincense, Sawara cypress
Heart Notes Heart NotesJapanese maple, Patchouli, Iris
Base Notes Base NotesHinoki cypress, Leather, Tree moss

Submitted by M3000, last update on 17.05.2019

8.0 7.0 9.0 9.0/10

Noble wood
I'm into wood scents. My father's family owns a wood trade, perhaps that's where the mixture of intimacy, indoors and outdoors, life and cosiness I associate with it comes from.

And, to put it straight away: of all the wood scents I've tried so far, I like Amber Kiso the best.

The fragrance takes a beautiful course. In the beginning a leathery turpentine note dominates for a short moment. However, the angularity of the fragrance quickly settles and it becomes rounder, softer and more woody. The darker woods are in the foreground here. Not as medical or oriental as oud can often be, but also not as light/resinous/needle-woody as Hinoki would suggest. The dark wood is a constant until the drydown -- wonderfully delicious paired with a very subtle, only slightly hinted at, dry sweetness (maybe the iris?).

I find the fragrance very versatile. He is reserved enough not to be overwhelming, yet seems recognizably distinguished and yet somehow unusual. He's unobtrusive without ever being bored. He radiates relaxed sovereignty, unstrained, does not need to prove himself, is somewhat understated, but with substance. Volume without volume.

And because it's so beautiful without imposing itself, I find it wonderfully wearable -- on all kinds of occasions. It goes just as well with worn jeans as with a tuxedo.

Big compliment to D.S & Durga and David Seth Moltz -- thanks for this piece of happiness.
7.0 10.0 10.0 3.0/10

BBQ doused with medicine
Another (probable) blind-buy mistake. Unlike Amber Teutonic, I don't get any amber from this. I would characterize Amber Kiso as a leather fragrance. Even then, it's more like a BBQ fragrance. The smoke is so intense--is that supposed to be "leather"? I think the whole "ancient armor" description is rather dramatic and kind of exaggerated. I was expecting this lovely, smooth, woody blend that smelled simple and Japanese. I could have sworn I read a review on Cafleurebon that said it was so, but this stuff clobbers you from the first spray until 14+ hours later. It's a sillage monster on me. It's fairly linear. After a a couple hours, there is a medicinal note that I notice, like resinous herbs, like sage and rosemary blended together. I like this part, probably the saving grace for me, but I'm not sure I can jive with with overwhelming BBQ scent. I actually thought Mississippi Medicine would smell just like this because so many people say it's smoky and medicinal, and sillage was minimal. Amber Kiso matches those descriptions a lot better. If you like MM as I do, and you wish it was insanely tenacious or even downright aggressive, far more smoky and leathery, this will be your jam! I am going to keep my bottle for now because I think it might grow on me. I would suggest spraying VERY lightly at first. I think a light mist would bring out the other notes better.

Popular D.S. & Durga

Bowmakers by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Spirit of the Glen by D.S. & Durga Italian Citrus by D.S. & Durga Siberian Snow by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Isle Ryder by D.S. & Durga Cowboy Grass by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Foxglove by D.S. & Durga Debaser by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake by D.S. & Durga Freetrapper by D.S. & Durga Mississippi Medicine by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Bitter Rose, Broken Spear by D.S. & Durga Coriander by D.S. & Durga Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga Sir by D.S. & Durga Boston Ivy by D.S. & Durga Radio Bombay by D.S. & Durga Silent Grove by D.S. & Durga Rose Atlantic by D.S. & Durga Poppy Rouge by D.S. & Durga