Amber Teutonic (2018)

Amber Teutonic by D.S. & Durga

Amber Teutonic is a popular perfume by D.S. & Durga for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is woody-resinous. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesAlpine cedar, Cardamom, Green mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, European larch, Silver fir cone
Base Notes Base NotesEuropean black pine, Opoponax, Musk

Submitted by AmyAmy, last update on 16.02.2020.

8.0 9.0 8.0/10

Amber Without Amber
This scent goes on with a warm kind of ambergris feel but also spiky (cedar) at the same time. It's aggressive and has a nice solid projection at a few feet. It billows around you but it doesn't overwhelm. After 30 minutes or so, the cedar withdraws and the scent becomes the warm amber of Amber Neu, which I love. Oddly enough, I can't pinpoint the notes that create this scent -- ambergris or stryax isn't listed, so perhaps this is opponax? I don't get any of the tree scents here, nor the geranium (for which I am grateful). The mandarin helps create the warmth and the summery amber aroma, but it is blended so well that you don't ever get it as a separate note.

Amber Teutonic lasts all day, gradually fading to a warm amber skin scent. I do enjoy it, and if you do not have an ambergris scent, this is top-notch. It does differ from Amber Neu in its initial aggression, but they are similar enough that it's probably not a great investment to own both. I am biased -- my first experience with an ambergris scent that worked for me was Amber Neu, so I'm going to get it first. Also, although I love DS&Durga, Atelier (Amber Neu) is a bit cheaper.

In short, a good quality ambergris-style scent. If I wasn't already spoken for in this department, I would be getting this (well, eventually as I'm still not rich).
7.0 8.0 9.0 7.5/10

More tropical than Teutonic
Being the forest lover that I am, as soon as I heard about this fragrance, I bought it blindly. When will I learn that that's never a good idea?! I could have bought a backup of Bowmaker's instead. To me this fragrance smells coconutty from the get-go. It's really annoying. I was never a huge fan of amber, and this one smells very much like many ambers out there--the kind of amber that seems a bit like play-doh. It's the same amber I get from L'Artisan's Amber, Mona di Orio...lots of others. That isn't a bad thing in and of itself, I mean, it's called AMBER Tuetonic for goodness sake, so you should totally expect amber. The weird, creamy coconuttiness bothers me and seems really out of place. I am not getting these wonderful woods that are in the notes. It's all drowning in this common amber with coconut. There is also a citrusy note that annoys me. So basically, I am not reminded of any type of old forest, much less a European one. Really no forest at all, come to think of it. Anyway, not my cup of tea, although I tend to enjoy a lot of this house's fragrances. I would love to know if I am the only one who is getting this creamy coconut note.

Popular D.S. & Durga

Bowmakers (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Spirit of the Glen by D.S. & Durga Italian Citrus by D.S. & Durga Siberian Snow by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Isle Ryder by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Foxglove by D.S. & Durga Freetrapper by D.S. & Durga Debaser (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Cowboy Grass by D.S. & Durga Mississippi Medicine (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Bitter Rose, Broken Spear by D.S. & Durga Coriander (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Sir by D.S. & Durga Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga Boston Ivy by D.S. & Durga Radio Bombay by D.S. & Durga Silent Grove by D.S. & Durga Rose Atlantic (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga El Cosmico by D.S. & Durga