Hylnds - Spirit of the Glen 2013

Hylnds - Spirit of the Glen by D.S. & Durga
Bottle Design Kavi Moltz
Top 62 in Unisex Perfume
Hylnds - Spirit of the Glen is a popular perfume by D.S. & Durga for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesScotch whisky, Pear, Grass, Pineappleweed
Heart Notes Heart NotesLimousin oak, Pineappleweed, Hay
Base Notes Base NotesBarley malt, Bourbon whiskey barrel, Sherry cask

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 10.09.2020.

DonJuanDeCat
The spirit of the valley prefers to drink whiskey!
In my opinion, the spirit of the valley, as this fragrance is translated here, sounds like a legendary figure from Nordic mythology, or at least like a creature in which Vikings or Celts believed.

In reality, however, "Glen" probably means something else. Namely Glenlivet 18, a whiskey, which you perfumed bols, uh... drunkards surely knew, didn't you? :))
In any case, this fragrance is meant to be a homage to this whiskey, which among other things contains aromas of pears, hay and vanilla, which also appear in the fragrance pyramid in this fragrance (and among other things are actually smellable, at least to some extent).

I'm afraid I'm not a whiskey expert, so I can't say anything more about that. And if we ever drink whiskey here, it's mixed with coke (I know I know it's an outrage now) to make it drinkable at all, or rather to be able to drink longer, without starting after the first glass totally drunk to give away his fragrance collection or something... ha ha, you'd like that, wouldn't you? D

Anyway, let's see how the scent smells!

The fragrance:
At the beginning I smell woody notes, whiskey and a slightly sweet note. The sweetish note is also slightly fruity, I suppose it comes from the pear, although I can't identify the pear 100%. I also find that the scent in the background is a bit dry and bitter. Perhaps it is because of the hay that the scent smells slightly dry, the tart should come from the whiskey or malt. Above all, however, the fragrance also seems a little smoky to me, not in the sense of incense, but more like tobacco. However, this gradually disappears after a while.
Over time, the fragrance acquires a further, slightly sweetish note, which then seems amber-like to me. It goes very well with the alcoholic whiskey note and even takes on a slightly vanilla taste in the later base... I naturally meant fragrance, which I find beautiful.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The charisma is good, quite good even. A few sprayers are enough to smell the scent quite well even from a distance. So in any case you leave a scent cloud with this scent! I also liked the shelf life of over ten hours!

The bottle:
The bottle is rectangular and has the Hylnds label on the front, i.e. a label that shows the name of the fragrance, but was also written on it in another font, "Hylnds". The lid is black and quite large. Hmm... I think that the fragrance could still have a brownish, whiskey-like color as the fragrance liquid... well, the bottle is still quite okay.

So that was Spirit of the Glen. The spirit of the valley. This ghost seems to like drinking one, and it looks like whiskeys are often the drinks of his choice :D
Nah, I already said in the introduction that this is a tribute to the whiskey Glenlivet 18. And even if I don't know the whiskey, this fragrance has become quite great. In fact, it has a quite good-smelling, but also good-scented alcoholic note with the whiskey, which together with the subtle, vanilla sweetness and the woody notes makes it a really very nice scent for me, especially in autumn or like now in winter. In my opinion it is therefore very worth testing if you like woody scents with alcoholic notes.

Hm, you feel like drinking whiskey or pouring your throat with alcohol :D Fortunately there are many variations of mulled wine on the Christmas market, so that you can quickly satisfy your alcoholic cravings there :D

And okay, even if it's "only" mulled wine, it can also dig in after a few cups! And my recommendation, what I had recently discovered at the great Parfumo-Treff and the (unfortunately short) common trip to the Frankfurt Christmas Market: ... Hm... I shouldn't say it, you will surely laugh... but that was really so delicious... well, I say it... try the...
Snowman punch! :DDD
Mu ha ha, funny name, but delicious! I think it was with mulled wine, amaretto, rum and cream... try it out, he he :)

Well then, see you next time and have a nice evening :)
Zara
Declaration of love to my favorite fragrance
Today I finally want to get up to write about my favorite fragrance.

Whiskey-impregnated air, Scottish highlands, moss and heather on the ground, Celtic history, barren nature. Grey skies, white and dark clouds rolling along the sky. Men in Scottish clothes, women in silky robes under rainproof dark capes. The tender and the savage. The earthy, impregnated air and atmosphere is transferred to the whiskey-coloured, almost oily liquid in the angular, simple bottle of this wonderful fragrance from the Highland series. For a long time I swayed between Foxglove and Spirit of the Glen, but then it was clear that Spirit was beating this one by a few.

You flatter, you accompany are deep and honest, balsamic and extremely powerful.

I really "endure" you only in autumn or winter, because otherwise you react to me too exuberantly, exuberantly and yet so deliciously sweet and full-bodied.

Thank you D.S. & Durga for this masterpiece and ALzD for getting it for me after many months.
Wonderfully engaging pear/malt/vanilla blend
Below are hymns of praise of infatuation, where the eye looks. And - yes! Indeed, this Durga is fascinating by the bench away.

As soon as you spray it on, you are seduced by a very exquisite, fine stream of fine vanilla, which, however, comes across differently than usual. Somehow grainy, but extremely calming, protective.

In addition there is a really extremely complex, finely woven mix of a not too sweet pear, just something exquisite mild herbal (probably camomile) and a hint of toasty vanilla, as I wrote above.

The whole thing is simply extremely beautifully nested, reminiscent of a de constructed 'Dior Homme' with completely new accentuation and the same claim to generate well-being.

I hope the 'Set' status above is supposed to be a bad joke
From cradle to barrel
No, my kids never got any whiskey to calm them down. The title refers to the fact that this Durga is intended to represent the entire whisky life from the raw materials to the barrel. There is something strange to be guessed at, or feared, but it starts off at least completely tolerably: a hint of toffee, fruit marinated in alcohol, a sour addition, probably a patchouli skeleton. Within half an hour a malty creamy creaminess gradually develops, which I would certainly have associated less with whisky than with a corresponding liqueur; keyword Toffee - it fits.

Argued backwards: The smell (and even more the taste) of physical whisky or other whisky always causes me a dull feeling in my stomach at first and that doesn't happen today. Therefore, the whisky content cannot be as strong as this, as sharply concluded by razor-sharp conclusions. In my opinion, the scent of alcohol is definitely more in the leisurely, cozy direction of Lubin's 'Korrigan'.

In addition, however, an aromatic smoky wood note emerges and contrasts finely with the creamy liqueuriness. Unfortunately, all this moves very close to the skin. That should have been more powerful. Otherwise the Durgas are not so shy (care - see below!).

Starting in the afternoon, the two more mature ingredients, i.e. the sour smoky and the whiskyesk whipped cream, increasingly have trouble asserting themselves against the creamy liquid toffee sweetness. But it succeeds. The fragrance turns into darkness, a sweet, latently sugary, yet with a hint of rough airiness resin impression takes over. What am I supposed to call that? Amber with a hint of vanilla maybe?

Only a fragment of the whisky idea remained directly on the skin. But that's okay, after all about eight hours have passed. A minimal H-cream note a little later and a portion of artificial wood in the evening are also of little importance. "The cellar master would certainly have shaken his head in "real" barrels made of such wood, but here he can be more relaxed, especially as he is served a long time of toffee to appease his appetite. Possibly a Pharisee candy.

And probably the biggest surprise is waiting in the office the next day: a cloud of toffee with a shot hangs in the air. Good morning! Good morning! Apparently, I had underestimated the Sillage
It's a nice fabric. I thank MisterE for the rehearsal.
Liquid sunlight
David Seth Moltz has created a masterpiece with the "Spirit of the Valley".
And I'm rather careful with such superlatives!

Spirit of the Glen is an incredibly well made fragrance The scents are very complexly interwoven. Everything merges smoothly into each other. And despite the fantasy scents, you think you can smell every single one. This is already great nasal cinema
The fragrance starts with a very light Bourbon note. The vanilla is a little surprising, as the inspiration for this fragrance came from Glenlivet Scotch whiskies. The fact that during their long maturation period they sometimes see a bourbon cask on the inside next to sherry could explain the fluffy vanilla note. Despite the whisky theme, the alcoholic top note is not clumsy.
On the contrary! After a short, tipsy "Hui", camomile, grasses and slightly fruity notes immediately come to the fore, accompanying the fragrance right into its slightly woody-malty base.
The slightly sweet vanilla is also still present in the base. It has a very light baby powder vibe, which makes the fragrance incredibly delicious. The base becomes slightly malty and a little woody. In the end, besides the woods, there are fine notes of caramel and a hint of camomile on the skin. Really dreamily beautiful
When you think of the inspiration for this fragrance, the rugged Scottish landscapes should immediately come to mind. I see it rather light-golden, sparkling in the evening sun. My favourite movie in the head cinema.
The shelf life of 2 sprayers is 7-8 hours.
The Sillage is splendid during the first 1-2 hours.
It's almost a room fragrance. So dose it carefully.
Afterwards, the scent remains well perceptible in the close environment for a long time.

By the way, I don't think Spirit and Baraonda are fragrance twins

Check out the two short films about the creation of the perfume on Vimeo!
HYLNDS Spirit of The Glen Pt 1
HYLNDS Spirit of The Glen Pt 2

Scotch whisky keeps a secret, the magic of its home town - Ivor Brown.

Aquamonza
Tha mi a 'cur fàilte oirbh!
“Ladies and gentlemen, we are tasting the last perfumalt of the evening. I see that now the last ones have come back. – No, no, you’re welcome; following the tasting of Kilian’s "Single Malt" some may get rather soft knees and irritation of the mucous membranes. We try to counteract this with Mugler's "Pure Malt" as an entry, but it does not always help ...

“So I now announce the culmination of the tasting. Are you ready? Nice!

“Do not forget - for the first impression you have to move the malt around the tip of the tongue ... yeah, a full sherry approach and a clear, yet a bit austere woody note, which have already been suggested during nosing ... hardly any smoke or peat... but an uber-fruity pear note, which leaves a Glenfiddich standing flat against the wall, hehe ... - Here's an almost archetypal start for a, say, 20-year-old Aberlour from the Sherry-Hogshead. Very beautiful.

“Now carefully over the palate... Very good! Here we get even stronger oak notes with just wee hints of vanilla. That’s far enough time in the barrel for that spirit, I think – and obviously a finishing in refill Bourbon barrels – does that make any sense? Anyway - if you like oak, that’s... Oops! The gentleman back there got something on the back of his tongue… we’ll just wait, until he’s able to breathe and you can hear me again.”

...

For the finish, which develops as a surprise, I recommend to close your eyes: this takes us from the Speyside to the middle of the bushy-herbaceous Highlands, far away from all maritime - and if you suddenly see yourself sitting in the prairie - it’s nothing wrong with that: there’s "Cowboy Grass" peeking around the corner!

Thank you for allowing us to fly with Durga-Air, Mr. Moltz!

The Secret Clearing of Aging Movie Stars
Spirit of the Glen begins life as a cherry medicinal scent (think: old Robitusson), which quickly morphs into a vanilla scent undergirded by woods and musk. Three hours in, it has become completely vanilla with wafts of powder, undercut by an odd "this doesn't belong here" pungent vibe. Perhaps this is the secret clearing of aging movie stars next to a dead tree. I'm not sure, but it's odd that even that disquieting combination isn't enough to interest me. Vanilla runs the show and runs my interest into the ground. Of the D.S & Durga Hylands scents I've sampled, this is the worst of the bunch. It's simply uninteresting and generic.

HermeshHermesh 4 years ago
Strong (refreshing) malt note reminds of smell near a brewery. However, it's nicely enriched by fruity and woody accents.

Schottischer Whisky bewahrt ein Geheimnis, den Zauber seines Heimatortes - Ivor Brown
by Mezzanine
by WitweBolte
by WitweBolte
by Dreamcrowned
by Dreamcrowned

Popular D.S. & Durga

Bowmakers (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Italian Citrus by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Isle Ryder by D.S. & Durga Siberian Snow by D.S. & Durga Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Foxglove by D.S. & Durga Mississippi Medicine (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Freetrapper by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Bitter Rose, Broken Spear by D.S. & Durga Coriander (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Cowboy Grass by D.S. & Durga Sir by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake by D.S. & Durga Debaser (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Amber Teutonic by D.S. & Durga Boston Ivy by D.S. & Durga Notorious Oud by D.S. & Durga I Don't Know What by D.S. & Durga Radio Bombay by D.S. & Durga Amber Kiso by D.S. & Durga