Bowmakers (2012)Eau de Parfum

Bowmakers (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga
Bottle Design Kavi Moltz

Bowmakers (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by D.S. & Durga for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is woody-resinous. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesViolin varnish, Mahogany, Air accord
Heart Notes Heart NotesColophony, Maple wood, Cypress
Base Notes Base NotesTree resin, Cedar, Moss

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.08.2020.

Chizza
Olfactory instruction of a bow making
Bowmakers is by name alone a fragrance I really like, because first of all I like creative names and not just something like "Leather" (Forgive me, AdP) or something like that. Secondly - you may hardly believe it - but I like to do things like fishing, horseback riding or archery, mostly on holiday of course. In this respect I had sympathy from the beginning. Now I know both versions of Bowmakers, I find the older version slightly better, but I also have to admit that the new bottle has already started the maturing process and the wood is getting darker and more oily and gradually gets the characteristic lacquer note. In this respect I take a relaxed view and won't compare both versions in the further course of time, as the differences are marginal, although I would rate the older version (still) half a point higher.
Of course the violin varnish stands out at the beginning and only here the difference between the two versions is relatively clear to me. While on the one hand the perfume takes on the scent of a violin varnished some time ago, the reformulation shows us rather a freshly varnished violin. The mahogany reminds us of old furniture from our parents' house, for example; I think everyone can imagine something like that. Very noble but also with a mature character.
With a smooth transition Bowmakers travels back in time. Where just a moment ago the olfactory focus was on the finished product, we are now in a carpentry workshop and initially manufacture the final product. It smells of shavings, stains and varnish as well as a melange of a variety of woods. One can easily sense a hint of incense, which comes from maple. More dominant, however, is the cypress which, with its limey character, provides that little bit of freshness which catapulted us into the production process.
A sentence about the component colophony, here probably meant is violin resin: this consists classically of various coniferous woods and that's how Bowmakers smells. As much as I appreciate the cypress, the question of whether it is used sensibly here always resonates for me because I find the result good but it would have its charm to perceive these woods without cypress.
Maybe you don't have to wait that long, because at least in the older version the cypress retreats quickly or is displaced. In the newer version it offers more resistance and never quite goes.
It gets exciting in the base, because the cedar fights its way forward; the later one does not hurry the first violin (I had to install it) but the second one does. Actually more outstanding in the old version, if you know that it is included. Slightly cool and herbaceous moss rounds off the scent and appears more herbaceous the younger the scent is. Personally I appreciate a less herbaceous attitude but it is empirically clear that this point is only a matter of time. Like probably the cypress and the prelude.
Regarding durability and sillage, the newer version is stronger, although both are good. The newer one smells more intensive, longer lasting strong and stays in the room for hours even when sprayed, as my little daughter impressively demonstrated to me. Since then, the most important fragrances in my collection are also slightly higher but this is only mentioned as a small anecdote in passing.
Bowmakers is - if we use the older fragrances from D.S. & Durga - my favourite. Undisputed. Burning Barbershop is also nice, the rest is solid to good, but doesn't reach me as much as these two. This is simply because of the symbiosis of varnish and resin. In general I like darker wood scents like Norne but also Arso better than rather light variants. In this respect it's astonishing where we finally have the lime cypress here but it harmonizes extraordinarily here in the main.
In so far as my purchase recommendation for its implementation I can recommend a natural cosmetics supplier from Germany. There is not much to be found in the prices of the individual suppliers, unless you buy this fragrance with a bit of luck in rare offers. I stayed with my natural cosmetics retailer who added several samples including a 12ml bottle. Plus a handwritten and perfumed letter, I appreciate that.

A Composition in Three Movements
To enjoy this scent, you must apply liberally. At least, that's the view from over here with my sample.

I don't have the experience of playing violin or being around violins, so the connections others have I don't (band person here, not orchestra, or professional musician -- sorry).

Bowmakers opens with an acrid campfire aroma, like burning cypress or magnolia, perhaps. I'm trying to identify the kind of branch that I've burned that has this particular aroma, but I'm pretty sure it's not pine. (I live in the county, so I can make fires. Don't judge.) The projection is large for the first thirty. It gradually fades in strength for the next three hours, and hits a nice boozy, aldehyde moment at about eight hours. The final movement is a smoky incense. Curiously, when it's done, it's done suddenly. You can immediately detect its absence.

The final verdict? Props to DS & Durga once again for making something out-of-the-ordinary. It lasts long enough. The concept makes more sense now, in the context of violins, rather than my initial context, which was hunting bows. I'm just not a big fan of the smoky incense, and so the last movement was a bit of a let-down.

It's a pass for me, but it's well worth trying. DS & Durga is one of the best fragrance studios out there.

Woody perfection
Bowmakers smells like a concert of strings deep in the forest. You can smell the tree resins, the bark, the broken pine needles, and the shiny violins. I get huge sillage and longevity from just one good spray to the wrists. I made this my signature because I can not get enough of it.

a very tiny violin
I used to play the violin when I was a child, so I certainly recognize the smell of a violin's varnish, along with the smell of the chalky rosin one applies to its bow. But my two wearings of Bowmakers didn't give me any recognizable amount of these scents.

This one is mostly about pine resin, which is nice. It's not, though, something for which I would pay $145 for a 50 ml bottle. Again, D.S. & Durga writes gorgeous ad copy: "Amongst the transcendental woods of the 1800s, craftsmen from the Massachusetts Bay Colony built violins & bows in the tiny towns of the Pioneer Valley. The shops were riddled with old growth mahogany, burled maple shavings, amber pine rosin, aged walnut & their unique secret varnishes." Again, I wish they would spend more time on creating a memorable scent.

Lest anyone think that only department store fragrances use nonsensical notes, by the way, DS&D brings you the "outdoors accord." Really? I have lived in and visited more than a few places, and I notice that the "outdoors" can smell significantly different according to which place I am in. Seriously - to which "outdoors" are they referring?

ItchynoseItchynose 13 months ago
Opens like harsh turpentine or varnish, hitting nostrils hard, but dries down into nostalgic "vintage family suitcase in the attic" smell.
VerbenaVerbena 4 years ago
Carpenter’s workshop. Wood shelves, oil-coating, varnish and sawdust. Genuine fragrance, warm, grounded, down-to-earth, and honest. Simply great!

by M3000
by M3000
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
by Salmix
by Salmix

Popular D.S. & Durga

Hylnds - Spirit of the Glen by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Isle Ryder by D.S. & Durga Italian Citrus by D.S. & Durga Siberian Snow by D.S. & Durga Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga Mississippi Medicine (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Cowboy Grass by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Foxglove by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Bitter Rose, Broken Spear by D.S. & Durga Freetrapper by D.S. & Durga Coriander (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Sir by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake by D.S. & Durga Debaser (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Amber Teutonic by D.S. & Durga I Don't Know What by D.S. & Durga Amber Kiso by D.S. & Durga Boston Ivy by D.S. & Durga Radio Bombay by D.S. & Durga Silent Grove by D.S. & Durga