Bowmakers (2012) Eau de Parfum

Bowmakers (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga
Bottle Design: Kavi Moltz

Bowmakers (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by D.S. & Durga for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is woody-resinous. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesViolin varnish, Mahogany, Air accord
Heart Notes Heart NotesColophony, Maple wood, Cypress
Base Notes Base NotesTree resin, Cedar, Moss

Submitted by Joe, last update on 07.10.2019

6.0 9.0 8.0/10

A Composition in Three Movements
To enjoy this scent, you must apply liberally. At least, that's the view from over here with my sample.

I don't have the experience of playing violin or being around violins, so the connections others have I don't (band person here, not orchestra, or professional musician -- sorry).

Bowmakers opens with an acrid campfire aroma, like burning cypress or magnolia, perhaps. I'm trying to identify the kind of branch that I've burned that has this particular aroma, but I'm pretty sure it's not pine. (I live in the county, so I can make fires. Don't judge.) The projection is large for the first thirty. It gradually fades in strength for the next three hours, and hits a nice boozy, aldehyde moment at about eight hours. The final movement is a smoky incense. Curiously, when it's done, it's done suddenly. You can immediately detect its absence.

The final verdict? Props to DS & Durga once again for making something out-of-the-ordinary. It lasts long enough. The concept makes more sense now, in the context of violins, rather than my initial context, which was hunting bows. I'm just not a big fan of the smoky incense, and so the last movement was a bit of a let-down.

It's a pass for me, but it's well worth trying. DS & Durga is one of the best fragrance studios out there.
5.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Woody perfection
Bowmakers smells like a concert of strings deep in the forest. You can smell the tree resins, the bark, the broken pine needles, and the shiny violins. I get huge sillage and longevity from just one good spray to the wrists. I made this my signature because I can not get enough of it.
5.0/10

a very tiny violin
I used to play the violin when I was a child, so I certainly recognize the smell of a violin's varnish, along with the smell of the chalky rosin one applies to its bow. But my two wearings of Bowmakers didn't give me any recognizable amount of these scents.

This one is mostly about pine resin, which is nice. It's not, though, something for which I would pay $145 for a 50 ml bottle. Again, D.S. & Durga writes gorgeous ad copy: "Amongst the transcendental woods of the 1800s, craftsmen from the Massachusetts Bay Colony built violins & bows in the tiny towns of the Pioneer Valley. The shops were riddled with old growth mahogany, burled maple shavings, amber pine rosin, aged walnut & their unique secret varnishes." Again, I wish they would spend more time on creating a memorable scent.

Lest anyone think that only department store fragrances use nonsensical notes, by the way, DS&D brings you the "outdoors accord." Really? I have lived in and visited more than a few places, and I notice that the "outdoors" can smell significantly different according to which place I am in. Seriously - to which "outdoors" are they referring?

Itchynose 102 days ago
Opens like harsh turpentine or varnish, hitting nostrils hard, but dries down into nostalgic "vintage family suitcase in the attic" smell.+1
Verbena 3 years ago
Carpenter’s workshop. Wood shelves, oil-coating, varnish and sawdust. Genuine fragrance, warm, grounded, down-to-earth, and honest. Simply great!+3
9.0

by Shivsri13
by Salmix
by Salmix

Popular D.S. & Durga

Bowmakers (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Spirit of the Glen by D.S. & Durga Italian Citrus by D.S. & Durga Siberian Snow by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Isle Ryder by D.S. & Durga Cowboy Grass by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Foxglove by D.S. & Durga Freetrapper by D.S. & Durga Debaser (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Mississippi Medicine (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake by D.S. & Durga Hylnds - Bitter Rose, Broken Spear by D.S. & Durga Coriander (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Sir by D.S. & Durga Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga Boston Ivy by D.S. & Durga Radio Bombay by D.S. & Durga Silent Grove by D.S. & Durga Rose Atlantic (Eau de Parfum) by D.S. & Durga Amber Teutonic by D.S. & Durga