Amber Blend (2016)

Amber Blend by Davidoff

Amber Blend is a popular perfume by Davidoff for men and was released in 2016. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Coty.

Top Notes Top NotesCinnamon, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmber, Rum absolute
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Peru balsam

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 23.03.2020.

Condorpilot1
There you go, Davidoff! There you go!
My impression of Davidoff in terms of perfume creations is that at least in the past (before the 2000s) the brand was known for bringing very solid men's fragrances to the market. Unfortunately, I've never met any of these vintage perfumes, which is certainly a bit unfortunate. But the past is the past and as far as the present is concerned, it seems that Davidoff's releases don't really go down too well.

Cool Water I owned, Hot Water I owned, Adventure I still own and The Game (unfortunately) too, whereby the latter was immediately "degraded" to a gym scent. The topic "Cool Water" has kicked Davidoff pretty flat in the meantime, but they still release a new version of Cool Water every six months, which disappears from the range relatively quickly. But of course this review isn't about Davidoff's failures, but about a unique perfume from the house.

About two years ago I found Amber Blend by chance in a Leipzig department store, I didn't even know about the Blend series then. But of all three blends (Leather, Wood, Amber), I liked Amber Blend by far the best. Unlike the other fragrances from Davidoff, you notice a difference in quality immediately after the first spraying. Sweet cinnamon, which combines perfectly balanced spiciness, gives Amber Blend an oriental and warm character. One feels pleasantly wrapped in a veil, as if wearing a warm cashmere scarf.

A small personal digression on the subject of rum: On my last cruise I took part in a rum tasting for the first time and only then did I realise how versatile rum can actually be in its aromas. Otherwise, I only knew the usual rums from Bacardi and Havana Club, which do not smell very high-quality and are best mixed only for cocktails. But rum can unfold such great aromas in the nose as those of vanilla, chocolate, coconut, fruits, honey and more. A rum does not even have to burn when drunk pure, but can gently enchant the taste buds.

It's the same with the rum chord here in Amber Blend. It is discreetly perceptible, very soft and not pungent, creamy warm and with a little imagination comparable to a rum with vanilla and honey aromas. Again and again tobacco appears in my nose in the background, which I would most likely assign to pipe tobacco. The woodiness in the base is not too dry, but also here very gentle. The perfume is absolutely harmonious in itself and doesn't scare you with scratchy aromas.

I associate with Amber Blend, for example, a setting in an old big house with lots of wooden accessories and decorations, old paintings, a fireplace, a large rug of wool and an old brown leather armchair. On the table a pipe, which carries its sweet tobacco smell in the distance through the room. Oh yes, and the glass of rum must not be missing.

As you might notice, I think that perfume is great. The Sillage is quite strong and I personally perceive this even long on myself. Durability on the skin about 8 hours or a little bit more, on clothes easily 10-12 hours. The perfume is an evening scent for cold days, in a formal and cosy environment.

In any case, Davidoff Amber gives me back the feeling that the House of Davidoff should not be written off for the perfume creation after all. At least not yet.
Now I'm standing there, Vi Doof
Davidoff!
Until a few weeks ago I wouldn't have thought that this brand would ever appeal to me again. Actually, it only really does that once. Cool Water will now go through the mind of the inclined reader and he lies......Wrong!
Yes I had Cool Water in the early 90s like so well everyone at my age, but never found it so full. More of a peer pressure. I also never became a pure Aquatfan and find most quite terrible.

Many also swear by Zino, but the scent that really appealed to me at that time was....Relax.
I still have this slightly prickly woodruff note in my head today, even though it was probably 20 years ago that I smelled it. That was cool. After that nothing was worth mentioning anymore.

Cool Water, Hot Water, Lauwarm Water and twelve other Flanker, The Game, Champion, Horizon etc. anyone still knows how the smell?

Davidoff!
For some time they also have a more exclusive range, the Blend range and I came through the dear Longosch1712 to enjoy Amber Blend. Thank you so much for that. I had discovered Leather Blend recently at Karstadt and found it quite good at first Riecher and now Amber Blend.

But...
A brand that doesn't really appeal to me, with Olivier Pescheux a perfumer who was responsible for things like One Million, Kouros Silver, Chrome Legend and finally Eros Flame and Explorer?

(Editor's note...here just play me the song of death)

Can't be anything, huh?

Even a blind chicken can find a double grain. Pescheux was also responsible for Herod and I found him nice, although overestimated here, but nice and here he stirred something good together.

I don't know the Armani scent twin here, but another scent comes to my mind. But more about that later.

At first I don't take a cinnamon bomb, but a very cultivated mix of cinnamon and nutmeg together with rum. However, this rum does not burn or is too strong, but everything is slightly dimmed. Rum can be extreme, like in Bentley for Men, or Jazzclub, here it is light and sweetened by the cinnamon. I like rum in fragrances, find that very appealing and not intrusive at all.

Amber then enters into the heart note and makes the whole thing balsamic for the time being. For all animal rights activists, you can breathe a sigh of relief. The whale was too big for the Pulle.

Interesting it becomes then in the base, because here with increase of the Peru balsam, it becomes slightly caramel and then again somewhat smoky/tobaccoy, somehow also only a breath, but noticeable
In the depth of the base this fragrance reminds me of Grand Soir, in not so sweet, not so opulent and not so strong.

No twin fragrances, that's not possible, but here I feel a certain similarity.

The whole thing is 7-8h on the skin and yes I found it really good. Maybe not desirable if you have a fragrance like Grand Soir, but definitely a good alternative. A cuddler, a flatterer who doesn't impose. (Cuddly skirt 422 now on sale)

That's not innovative, but it doesn't always have to be.

Davidoff!
I'd appreciate it if you'd surprise me more often instead of putting cheap, exhausted plörren on the shelves of the chains.

You can see it's possible here.

Oh, before I forget.
If I have unknowingly insulted someone in their perfume taste and outraged the total Davidoff fans, I would ask you for one thing...

Live with it. My scents also does not like everyone.

Carlitos01Carlitos01 15 months ago
A bit cinnamon sweet, a bit spicy, a hint of booze and wood, and a load of magnificewnt amber and balsam. A proof that Davidoff can do it!

by OvidiuH
by OvidiuH
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13

Popular Davidoff

Relax (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Zino (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Davidoff (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Leather Blend by Davidoff Agar Blend by Davidoff Cool Water (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Good Life for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Cool Water Intense by Davidoff Silver Shadow (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Hot Water Night by Davidoff Adventure (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Cool Water Into the Ocean by Davidoff Cool Water Aquaman Collector Edition by Davidoff Horizon by Davidoff Davidoff (After Shave) by Davidoff Zino (After Shave) by Davidoff Silver Shadow Altitude (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff The Game Intense by Davidoff Cool Water Sea Rose by Davidoff Wood Blend by Davidoff