Cool Water 1988 Eau de Toilette

Cool Water (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff
Bottle Design Peter Schmidt
Cool Water (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Davidoff for men and was released in 1988. The scent is fresh-aquatic. It is being marketed by Coty. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Étoiles Silver

Pierre Bourdon

Top Notes Top NotesGreen notesGreen notes CorianderCoriander LavenderLavender MintMint RosemaryRosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeraniumGeranium JasmineJasmine NeroliNeroli SandalwoodSandalwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber OakmossOakmoss MuskMusk TobaccoTobacco CedarwoodCedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.05.2022.

Currently actor Scott Eastwood is the face of the advertising campaign. Previously actors Josh Holloway and Paul Walker (†) were faces of the campaign as well.

A Mature Summer Fragrance and a Great Deal
I remember when I was in college, a friend bought me Cool Water as a birthday present.

Almost 20 years later, and after building a rotation of fragrances, Cool Water still sees regular usage on my end. There is a good reason for this.

----

Some people will say that Cool Water is aquatic, but it initially smells like a fresh fragrance with a hint of green and citrus. The notable aspects are the mint and neroli. Though they are delightful, they do not last long as they make blend into the tobacco base note to emerge, creating a warm and smoky fragrance that feels classy and cultured.

I will note that Cool Water has a slight synthetic smell to it, but it is more akin to what someone would smell in soap or deodorant that is subtle. It also blends well with most soapy fragrances.

----

It is not a serious surprise that Cool Water shares similarities to Creed's Green Irish Tweed as Pierre Bourdon is the perfumer behind both fragrances. Overall, Green Irish Tweed (GIT) takes away the tobacco notes and I would say is the better fragrance.

However, GIT is also about eight to ten times more expensive than Cool Water.

For this reason, along with great marketing, Cool Water became a popular fragrance.

----

Performance is what one can expect from a warm-weather fresh Eau de Toilette. The sillage and projection are reasonable. People will discover the fragrance as you walk by while wearing Cool Water, but it does not announce your presence like a superstar when you enter a room.

As far as longevity goes, expect it to last anywhere from four to six hours before having to reapply. I will also emphasize that Cool Water is a summer fragrance. During the winter months, it is outright useless when traveling outside.

----

This combination of performance and a fresh fragrance makes Cool Water a pleasant office or gym fragrance.

That said, Cool Water as a date night fragrance is effectively a roll of the dice.

On one hand, if the date is not familiar with the scent, it can add to an aura of a sophisticated gentleman that wants to have a good time during a summer night.

However, Cool Water was a popular fragrance in the late 80s and early 90s. It is possible to hear some interesting words; “You smell like my dad/brother/ex.” What happens afterward depends on factors beyond your control.

If the male figure in question is an amazing person in your date’s life, the smell can trigger positive memories, and become a massive positive that makes the date more comfortable.

However, if the male figure was an awful person, the smell can trigger negative memories, and effectively become a millstone. If this is the first date, I hope you are charismatic enough to overcome it.

----

Overall, Cool Water is a good affordable summer fragrance for the mature gentleman. It is also a solid addition to anyone starting a collection, especially for anyone looking into generational classics.

However, someone seeking a more casual and relaxed summer fragrance should probably look elsewhere, as disappointment is inevitable.

----
Edited on 04/19/2022 to include links to other fragrances.

LE Mâle Winter King
What can you say.. a timeless masterpiece by Francis Kurkdjian. So sexy and absolutely not dated at all.

Obviously not the recent batches/formulation.

The real vintage juice timeline is 1995-2009. You want to avoid letters S or Higher on modern laser engraved etched labels! Just because it says "Made in France" does not make it VINTAGE.
Avoid 2010 and onward "Le Male" if you want the vintage juice.

This is much more potent and the liquid is darker/yellower in color, unlike the clear liquid that comes in the newer bottles. This is what Le Male smelled like before it lost its true character.

Le Male is a magnetically attractive fragrance which seduces with its uniqueness; it is built on contrasts: traditional and bold, fresh and mild, strong and sensual, in one word: absolutely irresistible for women. Fresh mint is a symbol of strength; the tradition is represented by lavender; vanilla gives warmth and tenderness. The top notes are composed of mint, lavender, and bergamot. The heart is composed of cinnamon, cumin, and orange blossom. The base contains vanilla, tonka bean, sandalwood, and cedarwood.

If you can find the vintage juice at a reasonable price, please go for it. If you've never experienced a true le male vintage, you don't know what you're missing.
Highcell
Déjà vu = "Seen it before". Emotional memories.
I sat in front of the flicker box in the late 80s and early 90s, and I was used to the evening commercial breaks that interrupted RTL Saturday Night or the Harald Schmidt Show with their usual jingle tunes and falling Sat.1 balls. Sometimes I was allowed to stay awake longer, and as a child I also soaked up repetitive commercial breaks like a sponge in my indiscriminateness. It was a time of light-heartedness and it was as if all stimuli were somehow more exciting and intense when I look back on it like this today...

And there came the commercial with the man jumping off a cliff into the sea. Why he jumped remained an open question for me. I had never asked myself that either. Somehow it looked dangerous. He had his reasons. He dives up, and with both hands he throws his hair out of his water-covered face. In the pool, I replayed this with goggles and a snorkel, only with poolside instead of the high cliff.

"Davidoff - Cool Water. I thought that was fizzy water when I was a kid. At least, that's how it seemed to me. The cooling effect was so refreshing and cool - like on those warm summer days when playing in the garden was only interrupted for a brief moment by Gerolsteiner Sprudel before we continued to romp around in a frenzy of play.
That's how early customer loyalty can develop. I didn't even have my first perfume from Oilily then.

Thirty years later: you have the name of a brand "Davidoff" in your mind, maybe took a drag on their cigarettes once in sixth grade, which were honestly the nastiest of all. Grandma always had Lord Extra, they were better. Why, I can't say today. Maybe just because grandma liked them. And you knew terms like "Ariel", which was washing powder, right? ...or "Dr Pepper", that weird tasting cola. They were words, maybe associated with a picture, or a logo, or a situation, sometimes a person. That's all you felt about it.

And at some point, you smell that laundry - but yeah! I've been there. And the realization of what washing powder it is. You taste this sweet, cinnamony concoction from the red can and the fond memory of never actually liking it assaults your senses. It's like nostalgia from the past reaches into the present and gives it its color. As if the feeling to a picture had always been hidden in the background, you just had to uncover it. Yes, smells have a direct effect on the limbic system. And that's where these colors live...

And so it was when I smelled Davidoff Cool Water again after three decades. One spray on the skin, and then came the memory of something I couldn't name. Remembrance of many people I met who wore this scent, without being able to say who I remembered. The realization that this very scent is Cool Water, as if I had always known it but could never place it. Like the smell of a flower that one knows from a matter of course, without having the image of its outward appearance in one's consciousness.

Davidoff Cool Water has always been there without having made itself known. A world-immanent fragrance that is classic and old-fashioned, but not stale as a result. Green, fresh, and yet not light. Maybe his voice was also Creed's Green Irish Tweed, who knows.

Wearing it today, I notice how much time has passed. I've grown and smell like the ones I had to tilt my head up to see - when I was little and even allowed to stay up late.
Boring everyday fragrance
You can not go wrong with the fragrance, but that's the problem, to me the fragrance comes across numb and cold, legedlich for the office or other activities where you have to come across very discreet, the fragrance seems to be suitable. To go out an absolute NoGo, say: Stay with this fragrance rather at home
Together through Monday
It's Monday. The alarm's going off. Ok, 10 more minutes... No, not yet... get up.

Coffee, brush teeth, exercise. Then take a shower. Ok, the early day is getting better.

But now: Which fragrance should it be on Monday? In any case, not too sweet, in no way intrusive. Fresh and invigorating, yes it should be at this time.

Cool Water, yes it meets those criteria. The does not annoy me this morning and my colleagues in the office. No quite the opposite: the freshness of this fragrance helps on Mondays, not only me, but also my environment. At least I am firmly convinced that this is so.

So a freshness kick to start the day well and at this price... Can definitely do. In addition, a classic, comes in my experience in all age groups well received.

Yes yes, I like him, the green notes, the mint...

I go through every Monday with this... especially in the summer

Cool water not cool
I recently purchased a lancaster bottle of Davidoff Cool Water expecting great things and the scent is amazing but longevity is poor. 4hrs MAX! Shoulda known better than to expect anything more because it's an aquatic and those types of fragrances don't last long no matter who makes it or when it's launched. Not quite sure why this is but it's definitely a fact. If it's in your future to purchase this item be preparex
Thoughts
My Outlook recently showed me your birthday. I was already on the verge of sending off the greetings, just like every year.

Even though I've known the distinctive, for me rather deep green than blue scent of Davidoff Cool Water for much longer: I've actually only associated it with you for about 15 years now. Whenever you were in the house, you could always smell Cool Water everywhere. In the hallways, you could always smell the intense cloud of green notes, lots of spices and a rich base of musk, oakmoss, amber and a touch of woodiness. Her signature. Over so many years. Since I liked the fragrance very much and also you as a person were an absolutely pleasant contemporary for me, the overdose never actually bothered me with you. Rather with your colleagues with their niche fragrances, which had changed so much after you retired.

While most probably think of their own youth, wild parties or first love when they think of this 1988 classic, I think of one of the most important mentors of my career when I think of this deep, refreshing and, to my nose, absolutely masculine scent. I think of a manager who had his heart in the right place and who intuitively got a lot of the things that some companies are accused of today in terms of management style right back then. I associate Davidoff Cool Water with you just as much as I do your Swabian dialect, which always made you so likeable in a city where it is no longer appropriate for one or two residents to speak Swabian these days.

A true fragrance classic for a great leader and a very special person who I miss dearly.

Oldish Goldish
don't need to blind buy it cuz already you smell it in everywhere :) first note is so different from middle when you spray it in first 5 minutes maybe you disappointed of the smell but after that magic begins but maybe your nose use to it after a while
My youth scent
As a teenager, I essentially wore the first 007 scent and Cool Water, paired with other "Cheapies" I'd been given here and there. After years of my father wearing the famous Davidoff classic (and I still associate the scent with him), it eventually found its way onto my shelf as well. I can't remember at all how many times I repurchased the bottle. I primarily associate the scent of Cool Water with a nostalgic feeling and a fragrance that I never questioned. Until I recently started my "perfumo journey", I must also confess to having worn Cool Water to the office every day. Now that I haven't worn the scent in quite a while, and I've since tried and worn my way through quite a few scents that are among the "good" ones in the community, I'd like to give Cool Water another fair review for what the scent is:

The scent still blows me away when I spray it in the room (probably the nostalgia and familiarity...). The longevity is really more than okay for this type of scent - I could often still detect it myself hours later, and it just made me feel clean and fresh at work. Especially for the price, Cool Water is still a great first perfume for teenagers.

Less is more !!!!!
Beautifull fragrance !!! Reminds me of my childhood when there was more light in this world. Whenever I’m invited to a dinner or Just with friends who are also into fragrances and everybody does his best to smell Great... i overspray cool Water all over my body & nobody can guess the smell ...but everybody says i smell heavenly!

RazvanykeRazvanyke 21 days ago
As GIT as it gets. I would not wonder if CREED is filling the same juice in their bottles. I love this scent and its Price and Quality.
GeorgeReidGeorgeReid 3 months ago
An affordable classic that does well as a warm-weather daily scent. Also, more of a fresh smell than an aquatic one.
KanPerfumeKanPerfume 4 months ago
Old but gold!! Greatest value for money blue fragrance imo. Longevity is pretty good for a fresh fragrance( about 5 hours on my skin).
VinScentVinScent 4 months ago
Current formulation is still solid (I have Lancaster and Coty). Love it for rainy days. One of the few freshies that works in fall/winter.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 5 months ago
More green than blue to me. The overload of calone is detectable from start to beginning. Smells like classic mens shower gel
SantinoJoSantinoJo 6 months ago
I don’t get the aquatic image as this is all green & fresh! A common scent many have but I guess for a reason, its a iconic Davidoff scent
KuraiKurai 6 months ago
Based on sentimental value alone, this would be a 10/10 for me. Taking into account quality and commercialism, I'd say a 6/10 at best
JMWeedJMWeed 8 months ago
Freshly cut grass, not too overpowering to me, which is how I prefer this type of fragrance. Decent value, just too soapy on the dry down.
RamonkuRamonku 9 months ago
It´s a mix of green, flowers and herbs too strong. If you are not keen to fougere fragrances run away
WinandVWinandV 11 months ago
Victim of its own success, but still a solid fragrance I enjoy wearing. I don’t get the aquatic brand image as this is all green & fresh!

by Zora
by Zora
by Eigemann
by Eigemann
Zwei zeitlose Klassiker..
by Fraenky
Eine Homage an meine Lieblingsfarbe ... und den Duft natürlich :)
by Fresh21
by Taw8
by Taw8
by Mustang69
by Mustang69
Ein cooles Rosmarin-Lavendel-Bad ....
by MadameLegras
by ErhanSaceros
by ErhanSaceros
by R0din
by R0din
Ich hatte noch nie Cool Water. ;) Bin zufrieden. ;)
by TomDuft
by Bnd007
by Chilly55
by Chilly55

Popular by Davidoff

Relax (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Davidoff (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Zino (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Amber Blend by Davidoff Good Life for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Cool Water Intense by Davidoff Leather Blend by Davidoff Agar Blend by Davidoff Silver Shadow (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Cool Water Aquaman Collector Edition by Davidoff Davidoff (After Shave) by Davidoff Cool Water Parfum by Davidoff Adventure (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Relax (After Shave) by Davidoff Hot Water Night by Davidoff Wood Blend by Davidoff Zino (After Shave) by Davidoff Cool Water Wave for Men by Davidoff The Game Intense by Davidoff Cool Water Intense for Her by Davidoff