Relax 1990Eau de Toilette

Relax (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff
Top 95 in Men's Perfume
Relax (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Davidoff for men and was released in 1990. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Tarragon, Spearmint, Lavender, Tagetes, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAniseed, Carnation, Geranium, Heliotrope, Jasmine, Laurel, Patchouli, Rosemary, Vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Leather, Moss, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by MartinGE, last update on 23.11.2020.

A giant -- forever mysterious
For this excursion please all take a flashlight with you, because we are going into the forest. Not into the typical German mixed forest, but into the, shall we say, Black Forest. To the place where only the coniferous giants grow, come with us into the dark, night-black undergrowth where ferns and mosses thrive and it is pleasantly cool even on hot summer days, because even the strongest ray of sunlight does not reach that far.

Come with me to where the humid air makes your glasses steam up -- this is his home, Davidoff's masterpiece "Relax". A mysterious magician, a beguiling magician who smells of moss, wood and even a good bit of woodruff. Who unabashedly brings vanilla into play just as we are lulling ourselves into the certainty that we have all the ingredients figured out. "Relax" continues to make hooks, because geranium and rosemary raise the flag, tonka bean, sandalwood. Galbanum comes along. Jasmine honours us, but is a little coy. For this, bergamot hits the notch.

The little Sartyr, who is also pictured on the back of the flacons, has meanwhile, appeared out of nowhere, climbed the monster scent and rides this wild animal towards darkness, deeper and deeper into the forest, where none of our flashlights will be able to follow. Sparks are flying, dark green-black sparks that smell like spruce needles, blackberries, blueberries, lichens and fir brushwood. Of forest honey and morning freshness. Of leathery autumn afternoons and the clinking breeze of winter.

We are shocked by the performance just now in the middle of the infinite silent darkness and look with open mouths, stammering associations, panting down the ingredients we thought we heard. But no matter what we think, what we say, what we mean, what we believe and wish, what we see -- none of us have understood it, again not, probably we have never understood it, got it -- and if we did, only to a certain extent at most.

Now he's gone. He's long gone. Painfully long. And it doesn't look like he's coming back again. Too bad, too bad. Though we wouldn't measure him in his giant size again. He remains a fascination. And will always remain mysterious. But maybe the "Relax" never existed and we all only dreamed about it together?

Faunus
Who still knows the bottle from Relax, knows that on the back of the flacon and the cardboard box there was always a little Faun, Pan or Satyr. Why this was or is, is and will probably remain a secret of Davidoff. On the other hand, you can draw various comparisons to a faun if you know or get to know the scent. A Faun could, if it existed, also smell like this! The faun or faunus is the protector of the forests and nature. If you look at old pictures or statues, this forest spirit or deity of the ancient world is usually very relaxed, chilly or even relaxed. And Relax is Relax by Davidoff really is!
Relax
After a relatively short, cool introduction of freshly ground mint and ethereal lavender and aniseed, Relax quickly gets down to business and shows what it's made of. What has always made Relax so special was the highest dosage of heliotrope, which in this context was often compared to woodruff. At the end of the 80s and beginning of the 90s, highly unusual for a men's perfume. As soon as the heliotrope is worn, Relax becomes sweeter but never too sweet. The marzipan heliotrope is mixed with spicy floral accents. Notes of masculine, herbaceous rose geranium and tangy carnation run through the fragrance like a weave of spicy, wild green. A muggy-warm and earthy patchouli remains grounded and allows relaxation to become darker and deeper. Warm, mossy nuances and golden-brown, spicy tones of tonka and creamy-sweet benzoin give Relax an incredibly beautiful, attractive and deep-green warmth and aura. Associations of mysterious and relaxing forests, jungles or oases are not long to come!
Conclusion
I catch myself almost every sunday putting on Relax when it should be cozy and cozy since I own it again. He has something incredibly calming and keeps his promises. Relax spreads a very pleasant aura of sweet-green, spicy, earthy and soft-warm warmth. The scent is incredibly chilling and at the same time very attractive and seductive. Relax is incredibly cuddly and almost warm-hearted and has a calm, soft-harmonic pace. There are no hard corners and edges. Everything has been worked in a smooth and very fluent way. Its durability is very good and accompanies you almost the whole day through many hours. The Sillage is normal to strong depending on the dosage and always well perceptible. Anyone who still owns this emerald-green oasis from Davidoff can consider themselves very lucky. It no longer exists. Unfortunately! Many men (and certainly also women) still mourn him today, which I can understand very well. A perfume that would still be contemporary, successful and more than wearable today, would still exist. Fortunately I got a bottle and now I do what a faun does best. To withdraw in my emerald green oasis and relax,....relaxen!..;)

When man has come to rest, he works.
-Francesco Petrarca-

Relaxed Standards...
Relax opens with tonka bean sweetened spearmint supported by grassy tarragon spice before transitioning to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart, the mint remains, now supporting an emergent prominent mossy green oakmoss that takes the fore, with additional aromatic patchouli and thyme-like bay leaf spice support. During the late dry-down, the composition morphs to a relatively dry, slightly powdery vanilla and amber focus as the mint and spice vacate, leaving remnants of the patchouli in support through the finish. Projection is below average, and longevity on the low side of average at around 7 hours on skin.

Relax is the kind of composition that can easily be overlooked. On the positive side it smells relatively good with its rare, sweet mint focus not too unlike the Edouard Flechier composed Jean Luc Amsler Homme that came out a full decade later. That said, unlike the latter that in many ways is superior smelling by adding an interesting cucumber note to the mix, Relax starts out near equally impressive, but has a very ho-hum late dry-down with equally disappointing performance metrics. Maybe in 1990 when it was the only choice of the two to be had I might have found Relax more compelling, but nowadays it just seems to be a "good enough" release from thirty years ago that didn't distinguish itself enough then, and even less-so now. The bottom line is the long-since discontinued $300 per 75ml bottle on the aftermarket Relax is a "good" 3 stars out of 5 rated effort, but it comes nowhere near close to distinguishing itself from its 90's peers (and Jean Luc Amsler Homme) to justify a recommendation to seek it out at any price (let alone the crazy cost it currently commands).
Story of a journey
So here it is, the jelly pans, the green zino.

I got to know him at the tender age of 14/15, when my mother made me an Advent calendar full of different scent samples and miniatures, some of which were already discontinued at that time. A large part of it I used up, thanks to my then ignorant nose, or passed it on to my father. Only one managed to stay with me since then: The miniature of the Davidoff Relax
I liked the green stone already then, the smell unique, I could not imagine it on me but a father/grandfather who smells like this, that's it! So the little bottle has accompanied me over the years, always unused and full, only opened from time to time for sniffing.
A few years later, I must have been 18/19 and my perfume cabinet had grown noticeably, the first attempt to get it - shit, discontinued! At that time in the bay for slim 100€ to get, for my trainee salary but too much, so I stayed with the "Codes" and "Allures"...

From about 25 on, the perfume cabinet tripled in the meantime and I found my line, I looked for him regularly. Meanwhile, until today, he moves - if at all still to get - at 200+€. Well, you could afford it but somehow every offer came at the wrong time or I was too cheap to pay this amount for a "Davidoff"! So I stayed with the "Afganos" and "Aventussen"...

Well, the 03.04.20, I now 31, the "Relax" always on the wish list and still regularly sought but never bought, I have a crazy woman (here: NiSa) who is looking for it, finds it, and my now 16 years of travel thus brings to the destination:
A full, unused 75ml bottle in the original carton! That's him, the divine Jell-O, the green legend, heavy, angular, the pan on the back (connoisseurs know the story), the touch of woodruff so beloved by me, the note "Zino" in the relaxed sublimity of his self!

I'm at my destination (at least this trip) and I can only recommend to everybody to get this piece of perfume art as long as there are still copies available. Yes, the prices are astronomical but there is no one like him, this is niche level today and there the circle of the price closes, here it is no longer high but justified.

Thank you my NiSa and on the next journey!
The Otherness of the Same
Basically, the story is quickly told and hopefully quickly understood. As a 16 year old youth without the urge to be different, without extroverted style, without excessive taste in music, you were like everyone else in the country apart from the colourful skateboard. In the disco you looked like everyone else was drinking what everyone else was drinking and doing what everyone else was doing. To feel yourself a rebel perhaps a little more reckless, blue-eyed, curious and excessive than others...but at the end of the night you went home like everyone else. But then there was RELAX. No pushy crypt perfume, no athletic what I know what, no Joop, no Kenzo, no Nightflight...No it was RELAX. Relax smelled so strong in the beginning that my mother doubted that I went to the DIsko. But I did. And even if it is difficult to understand from today's point of view and perhaps as a city child: I was relaxing. Not Joop, not 1881, not Lagerfeld Photo, not Fahrenheit, not Kenzo. In the hazy fog of the disco I was Relax. And no one else. Really no one else. The inhabitants per km² helped me of course but no matter. Hach what am I glad about writing these petty lines. Because after 1 YEAR Relax I was again Photo, Joop, 1881, Kenzo or Fahrenheit or Uomo Roma and Le Male

by Fortress
by Fortress
Moosbett
by Floyd
Im Augustinerzelt.
Etwas Buntes braucht der Mensch
by Gandix
Ein kleines Extra für Fresh:Relax Fresh, die Zeit der Blumen geht auch wieder vorbei
by Gandix
by Parfummaster
by Parfummaster
by jakdelind
Auf geht´s zur Wiesn: Der Augustiner Außenbereich.
by ErhanSaceros
by Taurus1967
by Couchlock
by Couchlock

Popular Davidoff

Zino (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Davidoff (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Amber Blend by Davidoff Cool Water (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Leather Blend by Davidoff Agar Blend by Davidoff Good Life for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Cool Water Intense by Davidoff Silver Shadow (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Cool Water Aquaman Collector Edition by Davidoff Hot Water Night by Davidoff Adventure (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Davidoff (After Shave) by Davidoff Horizon by Davidoff The Game Intense by Davidoff Cool Water Into the Ocean by Davidoff Zino (After Shave) by Davidoff Silver Shadow Altitude (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Cool Water Sea Rose by Davidoff Cool Water Wave for Men by Davidoff