Silver Shadow 2005 Eau de Toilette

Silver Shadow (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff
Bottle Design Thierry de Baschmakoff
Silver Shadow (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Davidoff for men and was released in 2005. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Coty.

Top Notes Top NotesOrangeOrange Cedar leafCedar leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesSaffronSaffron CedarwoodCedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber PatchouliPatchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 03.05.2022.

A Rolls-Royce Full-size Luxury Car
The Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow is a full-size luxury car produced by British automaker Rolls-Royce in various forms from 1965 to 1980. It was the first of the marque to use unitary body and chassis construction. Was Francis Kurkdjian taking inspiration from that car when creating the cologne? Who knows, but I enjoy thinking he did.

Silver Shadow is part of the oriental wood composition and bases on three key elements: bitter orange, saffron, and amber. It is not innovative or disruptive, though the result is very pleasing. Perfumes are like paintings. All artists have the same colors available; it’s how they use them that makes the difference. Let’s now talk about the scent. It was first worn today after an inexpensive blind purchase long ago, and it is a very smooth, elegant, mild fragrance. I didn’t get a molecular blast or very sour citrus, just a good balance of resins, spices, and amber. I catch a fig-like redolence from the sprayer, dry, milky, yet the juice is pretty different when it melts on the skin.

A balsamic and resinous cloud opens the dance. Cedar leaf oil has a fresh, coniferous, camphorated, slightly sweet smell, far from the dry pencil shavings odor, and comes to the fore while it pushes behind the spicy, sweet orange. It is precisely the smell my mind associates with autumn and the misty air one feels walking in a coniferous forest. The opening combines a balsamic accord with a slightly herbaceous background. Initially, the resin is relatively nonspecific, but it solidifies into a cedar feel over time, which is quite good.

The more it warms, the more camphoraceous it becomes, with balsamic and mentholated facets. I’ve had it on my skin for ten minutes already, and that cloud shows no sign of calming down. It doesn’t bother me, but I’m excited to hear the heart notes. For many, Silver Shadow could be too light or uninteresting because it requires an effort to show and let appreciate the heart notes. The saffron comes sweet, and that disappointed me. I was expecting something leathery, but no, not in this cologne. The heart oozes a touch of sweetness but is not too strong or cloying at all.

A certain earthiness looms at the bottom, mainly moderately crunchy patchouli. Together with the woody note, this mix becomes more rounded, soft, and creamy, with an amber undertone towards the end. There is a faint woody note of cedar and then a clean-smelling vanilla amber scent that is unique, sweet yet not a gourmand. The smell is almost addictive. It is a well-kept secret.

I get moderate sillage, outstanding projection, and several hours of longevity on my skin. Those who passed by also liked the scent. I receive compliments about the beauty of this fragrance. Given the resinous, woody, and amber notes, I would suggest that the best time of year to wear would be autumn, ideal for the day and work, and warm evening too, as it displays a pleasant softness. It is intended for an adult audience, for men having some grey hair that shines, and therefore the volume of the sillage has been lowered, but that of sophistication has been amplified a lot.

I base the review on a 100ml bottle I have owned since April 2018.
-Elysium
5.5

Warm citrus
Even the citrus in the opening is a warm and mellow kind of orange. The spice in the background remains while the amber takes over. It's pretty straightforward from here. A warm and cosy scent for eight to twelve hours, modestly radiating. Simple and warm, nothing offensive. Perfect for casual winter days. And very budget-friendly!
The Balanced

I have possessed this fragrance since it was first released and I have always enjoyed wearing it. What I particularly like about this perfume by master perfumer Francis Kurkdjian is its well-balanced blend of fruit, sweetness, spice and wood. This happens very rarely. Usually one or two fragrances are rather dominant, here it is not so. The sweetness of Davidoff's Silver Shadow is never heavy, but light and fruity. In the course of time a woody spiciness predominates before the fragrance (somewhat boring) fades away amber-vanilla.

I cannot understand comparisons to Terre d'Hermes, because Silver Shadow is much rounder, softer and sweeter than that one. The comparison drawn here with Boss Bottled is already more comprehensible. If one would exchange apple and orange, they would already be close. I still notice some similarity to Dolce and Gabbana's The One. Especially the interaction of orange and amber here and there.

The ideal time to wear this perfume is, I think, late summer and early autumn. For the summer it is too spicy and sweet and for the winter it has too little punch. But when it starts to get a bit harsh, but you still carry summer in your heart, when it is sometimes already a bit chilly and you long for comforting warmth, then it is just the right fragrance!
TheDNL
Cotton candy with orange jam
Yes, even the wooden stick of cotton candy can be smelled! It should be mentioned that it is carved from cedar and was soaked in patchouli before.
Unfortunately, my ability to put this treat in the right light fails, so ixh can also
It remains a scent to bite into

An economic jewel
I love this perfume, it smells like caramelized oranges or candied oranges, it is a delight to take it and a true generator of compliments.

It is a very masculine, elegant and sensual fragrance, very versatile, that can be worn at any date or time.

The duration is broad, reaching up to 8 hours. His wake is moderate, it is rather like an aura that surrounds you, you feel in the vicinity, but if there is something fresh, you feel it everywhere.

Recommended perfume if you like sweet, daring and sexy perfumes, and that are not invasive or cloying.

Sorry for my bad english.

Davidoff's economic Rolls Royce
[short review]

The name Silver Shadow stands for an expensive luxury car made by the British car manufacturer Rolls-Royce. It was a revolutionary car and was produced for 15 years. For many enthusiasts, this 55-year-old four-wheeled gem still deserves the title of the best car in the world.
It took me a long time to buy Silver Shadow Eau de Toilette. I have always been suspicious of any product that has the same name as another already established product. However, I also thought I couldn't go wrong with Francis Kurkdjian's note list and nose. I just wanted to avoid another waisted blind purchase. Finally, I bought it blind this week, and I'm glad I did.

It opens with a very nice deep orange note. It's not a fresh, tangy young orange. It's a classy, ripe orange as if it had been blended for a Terre d'Hermès Eau de Toilette flanker.
In the heart, you smell cedarwood. The spices you also perceive in the heart note are just right. Yes, I can detect saffron, but I could swear there's some red pepper in there too. This phase defines this fragrance as a very well blended oriental EdT, and this impression is reinforced in the base notes.
In the base, I experienced an amber accord that seemed to embrace all the other notes. The finish is quite pleasant and consists mainly of sweet, woody amber and well-behaved patchouli.
As for the performance, I can only say that it is average for this type of fragrance. The presentation is subtle but quite acceptable.
My expectations of this fragrance were exceeded. The pleasure I get from this fragrance is above average. It is indeed a very good fragrance. The low price may contribute to the underestimation of this Davidoff fragrance. I paid 17 euros for it and it is not a tester. I like wearing it just as much as other fragrances that cost 5 times as much. I highly recommend it.
My wife immediately noticed I was wearing a new perfume (great - it's different from any mainstream scent) and gave me lots of compliments. I also have to say that only one time out of ten does she make any comment about any of my perfumes. My daughter came out of her room and simply asked, "Who smells so good?" Not bad for the first 5 minutes of wearing Silver Shadow. It also brings back memories of the vanished V pour Homme Eau de Toilette that I used to love so much.

My opinion: I can hardly call it the Rolls Royce of perfumes, but it is a very good blend of citrus and woods. It's really easy to buy it for a very low price and you can benefit from an all-around fragrance that is suitable for many situations. If you can get it as cheap as I did, it's certainly a bargain.

Music: Dire Straits - "Walk Of Life"

Underrated gem
WHAT a great addition by Davidoff, this is very good fragrance, it's not beast mode factor yet it's very well pronounced and people like it.

The notes i get according to my nose: Orange, Saffron, Sandalwood & Amber and the later is very dominant in the base notes.

Basically this is a niche perfume with a great great price, under 20$ I guess. Won't disappoint you at all

Also this is very versatile perfume, could be worn on so many occasions.

Suave under appreciated gem
When I bought this, blind as always, I really didn't have a collection of perfumes. Just a handful really, and that too mostly the really popular aquatics. This was probably my first brave step into a different, totally unknown, to me, world. The first time was completely off-putting. Just something I didn't understand at all. Quite obvious coming from my background (of aquatics). But after a few other scents took me off my aquatic spell, I came back to this one. And honestly I haven't left this 'spicy-woody' genre ever since.

Silver Shadow opens with a very spicy, balmy, in-your-face type of bitter-orange accord. But as soon as the opening blast settles this scent gets magical. You can immediately smell this cloud of beautiful black pepper, saffron and benzoin. Very warm and enveloping, but not in a bit overpowering or strong. Just natural and grounded. As the hours go by this scent gets slightly sweeter, ambery-vannilic. I can get whiffs of cloves & cinnamon too at times. And all this is supported by a very thin layer of musky patchouli. All the while it stays subtle and restrained. It's more of a skin scent if used normally, so I go generous on the trigger. And it's worth it. It's very suave and sophisticated. Very mature, understated and totally inoffensive, so a perfect office scent in a way. I don't know if it's a crowdpleaser, since the sillage is average or below, really - but the people who get close like it. It always smells warm and pleasant. It's not ground-breaking or super creative in anyway. But it is a very good and a proper scent made by the great Francis Kurkdijan.

8/10

The black sheep from Davidoff
I didn't expect much from Silver Shadow. I thought since it's discontinued in most countries and is becoming harder and harder to find, that it would be nothing special. Well, I was wrong.

Silver Shadow is a delicious interpretation of orange and woods. It's nicely subtle with an addictive drydown of amber and resins.

Silver Shadow is what I envision a ruggedly masculine man to smell like. The scent comes across as being natural and soothing, as well as incredibly sensual. It's like a 'come hither' without the gesture from the man himself.

I have no idea how I happened to stumble upon this fragrance nor why I felt compelled to try it, all I know is that I'm glad that I did.

In regards to longevity, it's certainly not as lasting as some fragrances on the market, however the lasting power is decent, at least in my opinion. It's an intimate scent, romantic in a sense as the fragrance hasn't a strong projection.

I'm not surprised to see Francis Kurkdjian as the man behind this composition. I find him to be a very talented perfumer, one that I greatly admire and respect.

As the fragrance develops, it does have a somewhat powdery edge, however I wouldn't call it feminine, although I don't shy from classifying it in my own terms as a unisex fragrance. I think Silver Shadow is a real head-turner with a lot of admirable qualities.

Ka3nKa3n 1 year ago
One of the best davidoffs ever created across the entire range by this hose. Sadly not easy to find anymore.
StamatiosStamatios 1 year ago
Nice fragrance but weak.Sweet,warm,classy.Full of orange,delicate cedar and minimum spicy.After 2 hours becomes a skin scent .Easy to wear.
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
I wouldn't even call this generic. Although it has a very delightful sweetness that can remind you of something familiar. Very Good frag!
EkkieEkkie 2 years ago
Very fresh and fruity with a nice amber base which adds some warmth. Smells better in the air than up close. Great for the price.
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
The top three from the house of Davidoff. The other two, of course, Cool Water and Zino. Just in my opinion.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
It opens classy with a ripe orange note as if blended like a Terre flanker. It then develops spicy and woody to recall Valentino V. Love it!

by Andreas09
by BlackbirdHH
by Michael
by Michael

Popular by Davidoff

Relax (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Davidoff (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Zino (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Amber Blend by Davidoff Cool Water (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Good Life for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Cool Water Intense by Davidoff Leather Blend by Davidoff Agar Blend by Davidoff Cool Water Aquaman Collector Edition by Davidoff Davidoff (After Shave) by Davidoff Cool Water Parfum by Davidoff Adventure (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Hot Water Night by Davidoff Cool Water Wave for Men by Davidoff Wood Blend by Davidoff Zino (After Shave) by Davidoff Relax (After Shave) by Davidoff The Game Intense by Davidoff Cool Water Intense for Her by Davidoff