Zino 1986 Eau de Toilette

Zino (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff
Zino (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Davidoff for men and was released in 1986. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Michel Almairac

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot LavenderLavender Clary sageClary sage RosewoodRosewood
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeraniumGeranium JasmineJasmine Lily of the valleyLily of the valley RoseRose
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood Tonka beanTonka bean VanillaVanilla CedarCedar

Submitted by MartinGE, last update on 20.05.2022.

GoldGold 10 years ago
Zino Davidoff means business and it ignites and pounces on my skin. Under its breath with a bed of patchouli, moss, tobacco leaf, forest woods and leather this...
HeedscentHeedscent 1 year ago
Whenever I looked at reviews about different fragrances, there were times when I came across the term "grandfather's smell". I was wondering what this...

Novocaine
Let's do a little justice for Zino by Davidoff. When we talk about the son... but we don't know the father.
Zino from Davidoff is a piece of classic men's perfumery and the fact that it is still on the shelves today shows how important an it is. But what do we do when similar perfumes appear after him that enjoy success but almost no one says about their DNA? We're doing a little justice ...

When I bought Zino I made it blind buy, just reading reviews. It's true that after it got into my hands I quickly hid it in a drawer because I wasn't used to it. It took me a while to figure it out.

Its opening is reminiscent of horse stable. Rosewood, lavender, geranium and patchouli create this feeling that easily fades over time on the skin. The herbaceous and somewhat animalic feel is tempered by rose, sandalwood, vanilla and jasmine. The whole opening is thus wrapped in a sweetness, making the perfume very masculine, warm and sexy, especially if we refer to the year when it was created. It is an oriental fougere from my point of view, not very easy to wear but well coagulated and beautiful when you get used to it.

It smells very good after it starts to develop on the skin and has a good persistence for a few hours and the sillage is strong especially on clothes. I see it worn in the fall, then it shines. The fact that it is warm, cozy, deep and a little sweet makes it comforting, makes you feel good. A very charming and manly composition.

Versatility ... Well here's the thing. It is a mature perfume and is suitable for people over 35 years old.

I have read and heard many opinions about Tom Ford Beau du Jour but very few that compare it to Zino, although it smells about the same and almost no one to talk about the fact that Beau du Jour is actually a Zino Lighter, more expensive and a little more refined.

When you talk about Tom Ford Beau du Jour you have to keep in mind that he is an inspiration from my point of view, very good indeed, easier to wear, designerish as some would say while Zino's DNA is richer, heavier and much more mature, a classic that will remain in the hall of fame for a long time unlike the other.

Still Relevant to These Days
Classic but surprisingly still relevant to these days. I have to admit it smells luxurious and complex despite being cheap price.
Opens with a blast of patchouli and settled down with floral creamy woody with medicinal touch in the background. This is not for the bad boys. In my opinion, this is more suitable for villains. Classy villain, sitting in a mansion, drinking scotch and smoking an expensive cigar.

Chocolate cigar with cappuccino
A strange exit that I don't like, but over time a beautiful harmony emerges in the aroma, which makes me feel as if I were in a cafe, with antiques in wood, drinking a very creamy cappuccino with chocolate milk and, at the same time, someone putting it on a can of damp, vanilla-sweetened tobacco on the table, and that smell mingled with that of the drink.

All the while you can feel the patchouli holding up the aroma, which I found helps to balance the sweetness and leaves it a little "dry".

It goes from the unpleasant and "illuminated" output to a super pleasant and cozy evolution, with a more sober and even a little "dark" tone, which gets better and better over time.

It has a very good performance for the price it currently has. On my skin, it lasts over 8 hours and projects well in the first two. Over the hours, it stays close to the skin, but with an excellent aroma.

Excellent purchase, especially for those who like perfumery classics.

Elysium
The Scent Of Desire (Lust Auf Duft)
Zino is a perfume that I used in the late 80s when it came out on the market, and I tied my memory to the Spandau Ballet band and their wonderful song Through The Barricades. Yes, because music and perfume are something that once they stain your brain, they stick together forever and never go away. I stumbled upon this perfume almost by accident in '87. The first time I sensed it on a friend, he had visited me during the Christmas holidays. This dark, dense, sensual aura surrounded him, his scarf, and his coat. When I asked him what he was wearing, he told me "Zino Davidoff". I jotted down the name, but then I didn't buy it right away. A few months later, right before the summer of '88, Davidoff had recently launched what would later become an epitome, Cool Water Eau de Toilette. So, on the occasion of my birthday, some university mates asked me for a suggestion for a perfume, and I told them "Davidoff, the aqueous one with hints of watermelon and melon." But ironically, when it was time to open the presents, I realized Zino was the perfume I had been given. I confess that I was initially disappointed when I took it out of the box and saw a different box and bottle, yet my eyes opened wide shot when I sprayed on my skin. It was on the opposite side of Cool Water, not a summertime scent, but all too good and gorgeous. Ultimately, I was happy they made a mistake, yet I bought Cool Water myself. Well, I had to put it in the closet. In June, its character was not very suitable for hot weather. And so I had to wait for incoming winter to wear Zino, which I fell in love with and remains a unique and unforgettable perfume for me today. Zino is polarising, even in its current formulation. It uses a dirty, virile, very earthy patchouli, which makes one think of a man soaked in sweat after hard work, but also after an embrace. And it was no coincidence that "The Scent Of Desire" was mentioned in the advertisement.

But how is Zino today? I have a recent bottle kindly given to me by a friend a few years ago. Linear in nature, a cross between an oriental, a chypre, and a fougére, the recent formulation is not very different from the original, fortunately. The performance is a bit subdued, but the scent is the same as I remembered, so damn powerful—Manly, impressive, dense like a rainy and foggy autumn day. I like to think of well-dressed men on horseback, returning from a hunting trip, somewhere in the Scottish countryside. The opening is dazzling, with an explosion of earthy and dirty patchouli. It dominates this fragrance, like most of the powerhouse colognes of the late 80s. The bitter undertone is somewhat reminiscent of licorice and lasts until a rosy note of Brazilian rosewood jumps into it. There is also a riot of bergamot, which I thought managed that manhood I got in the original formulation. I was not that experienced in those years, and I did not connect it to the dirty patch. The opening leaves nothing to the imagination, and the juice is as dark as the bottle.

Soon I get a cocktail of fresh floral and aromatic herbs, powdery lavender, and green clary sage. The aroma seems to move away from the initial impression of an alpha male. I feel the stingy freshness of aromatic herbs so much. Lavender and bergamot are the protagonists of a classic duo. Then there are flowers, but they are just a mockery, a faint background bouquet of rose, green geranium, jasmine, and lily of the valley. The scent is refined and still looks masculine, as it is not particularly powdery or sweet. A complex, dark, earthy, woody, herbal bouquet with a solid backbone. Here comes an underlying sweetness quite far from the sweet masculine fragrances of today. It is deeply embedded in the heart.

I get a woody, refined, smooth accord of mild sandalwood on the finish. But blond wood isn't alone, and a drier cedar does the trick. A soft and creamy atmosphere of vanilla and amber in the background, inedible, non-gourmand, and not sentimental, softens the woods. It is the part I like best, rich and balsamic patchouli with an echo of powdery and slightly salty lavender due to the presence of amber, a touch of rose, and a persistent sour bergamot scent. In this last phase, the patchouli takes on a chocolatey nuance as if it were infused with dark chocolate.

Masculine, ideal for both day and night, it is best for autumn and winter. An informal evening colony for any man with a healthy bad boy side, who also likes to be the center of attention. Yes, because Zino collects compliments. Although the fragrance is strong, it makes itself known to the passer-by with a little shyness. The sillage is below average, but it feels good to smell yourself. It lasts about half a day but then disappears during the rest of the day, but if worn for an event or dinner, it will stay with you as long as necessary. I think I'll stock up before they take it out of business. Last, Zino is the best sensual patchouli I have ever smelt.

I base the review on a 75ml bottle I have owned since October 2015.

-Elysium

Another Beautiful Creation Gone
I'm extremely disappointed in Davidoff for discontinuing this masterpiece. If they have no pride in their own history, how can I ever support them again? I've lost a lot of respect for Davidoff. What a ridiculous decision. It boggles the mind the way some of these historic fragrance houses have just tossed some of their most legendary fragrances to the trash heap. I'm done with them. I'll stick with more respectable houses like Hermes and Guerlain and others who seem to take pride in their craft and their history. Legends like Bel Ami sure aren't flying off the shelves anymore but Hermes still keeps it in production! Why??? Because they have pride and INTEGRITY and that's why I'll always respect and support them. Discontinuing beloved fragrances is a slap in the face to the consumers who cherish them. We the consumers need to start slapping back.
The way I love him!
In 1988, when this fragrance came on the market, I fell in love with it and it accompanied me for several years. But after several reformulations he smelled more and more synthetic and 3 years ago I then disposed of the almost half-full Fladche. Too big was the disappointment.
Today, call me calmly batty, but the memory of this spicy fragrance still haunted me, I saw him at Rossmann and the longing for this fragrance came up again in me. About the price you do not need to discuss, so I bought it after 3 years times again.
Arrived at home I sprayed him immediately on the palm of my hand.
Then the anxious waiting, when does this disgusting synthetic prevails and destroys this fragrance.
And.......after some time , nothing, he smelled, like old times! I've had it on my wrist for several hours now and no trace of synthetics!
What did they do there?? I am totally surprised and delighted.
The fragrance is probably very close to the original woody, spicy, fresh. Ne smooth 10
The sillage is still exceptionally high, also here ne smooth 10.
Also in the shelf life has probably not changed . After several hours he is still freshly tracked perceptible.
I have absolutely no idea what they have done there, but this is an absolutely positive development that does not let this fragrance die out. Now it only remains to hope that the aftershave is produced again!
From me ne very clear purchase recommendation!
On a secret mission.
Carefully, he pushed the Z-51's warp control to 1982.
A gentle jolt was the result; little else seemed to
happen. He leaned back in the medium-comfort leather seat
and took a few peanuts from the
medium excitingly designed center console.
Almost three years now he had been doing this job. Still
still for the same money, still with no discernible
Career prospects. And without any prospect of a little
Fame. Not even a new Timeglider they gave him,
the sleek Z91c or at least the Z71 No, still that old cucumber.
And now this not-so-easy assignment.
"Get ZINO out," had been the terse order on the
self-destructing coaster had only read. "There is imminent
Danger to the scent peace!"
And he knew what that meant.
It wasn't the first time he'd done it, after all.
Which is why he also knew that this ZINO was not an easy
Case.
The landing went reasonably smoothly, only the exact
Time he could not read, because the on-board clock was already
been stuck for a long time, it only showed the season - autumn.
The landing point was well chosen - he hid the Z-51
behind a holler bush and switched on the camouflage optics.
Shortly after, he strolled casually down a small shopping street
dressed in a red crumpled coat
and fringed boots. Well, rather 70s, the outfitting
for time agents wasn't what it used to be either.
Fortunately, he had a by means of sources, which may not yet
a dossier that would help him find ZINO to help him find ZINO Faster than expected he found the discotheque "Marquis",
over which lay the small apartment - ZINO's secret
Lair in this angle of time.
Across the backyard to the stairwell, first floor, briefly ear
to the door, silently and quickly open the lock - routine.
And then inside. Two rooms. Quickly checked.
Out flew the bird.
He basically didn't expect it any other way.
But - its smell was still in the air. And that was worth a lot.
He had studied him long enough to recognize his components
quickly. There were clearly elements of the fruity
spicy opening, but which already betrayed a hint of dark
Rose, also of rosewood betrayed. And now, here in 82,
there was also a hint of a bitter note that had been
announced to him at headquarters as "camel to camel sweat-related"
had announced. He had thought it exaggerated and
thought it theatrically exaggerated even now. Yes, there was something tender
bitter, but still nothing really animal. On the contrary -
he even detected a barbershop vibe, not ostensibly,
but playing in the whole, marked by lavender and well
balanced bergamot. ZINO seemed even more unusual to him,
than he had expected - he played around confidently, gave himself
simultaneously as oriental and British in the sense of woody,
Vintage spicy gentleman's club atmosphere. Loose.
And worldly. Yes that was the word.
And its basic character transformed not unusual
Plants - patchouli, sandalwood, cedar, some vetiver -
into a unique, soft-spicy aura that from somewhere
received some sweetness. Where exactly - that remained guessing, but
this slightly sweet-powdery elegance was his real
Secret weapon. With terms like benzoin or tonka not so
easy to explain. As so often was here the whole more
than the sum of the individual parts.
Only, alas, none of this helped.
He had to find it somehow.

Quite perplexed, he stood on the street again.
Then someone tapped him on the shoulder from behind.
Cautiously, he turned around - and grinned.
He had suspected that they might send someone else after him
might send someone else after them, but not so fast.
And not them.
It was Barbie Q - who, though she hadn't long been a permanent time agent
worked for headquarters, but was considered a badass.
As a free agent, he had dealt with her before.
Black leather catsuit with wide schoolster pads,
white Fiorucci shoes and aerobic ankle warmers.
Looked good on her.
"Hi Stanley...good to see you."
"Hi Barbie..."
She smelled like Cuir de Russie, perfectly blended with some
Rostbratwurst.
"You didn't do a bad job on your last one," he said.
She gave him one of her famous pearly smiles.
"Thank you!"
For 2 months she had infiltrated the Ifra and gotten
out alive out alive. And with valuable information at that.
All at once she ran her nose up to his neck, waved
over it, first one side, then the other, back again -
it took a minute at most. Or maybe two.
Three at the most.
"Aramis 900..." she said, "taste you have."

"Can I see her papers?"
They hadn't even noticed him, the uniformed man who
who now stood brawnily in front of them. He began with Stanley.
"Name?"
"My name is Drauf. Stanley Drauf."
"How nice for you to be on it all the time..."
"Joker!"
Stanley would have loved to have given him a couple of doubles
right then and there ...right then and there. But the guy looked a bit burly. And of course.. ...he sensed right away that this wasn't a real cop Fake stitching on the pants, telltale laces. Lousy
Fake Oak Moss Smell. Fortunately, these Ifra agents
in some ways no smarter than crispbread.
And then it all happened very quickly.
In a flash, Barbie sprayed some Kouros in
the bull's face Face, and he slumped right over.
"There - he's got him in the car!" she shouted, and also rushed
away.
She was good, unfortunately.
In a few seconds they had freed ZINO and were
back at the Z-51, which was a broken shopping cart.. filled with empty paint cans.
The ride back was pleasant, as the Z-51 was rather cramped.
Barely back in the present, together they produced the
Scent Dossier for Headquarters:
"ZINO profile note normal zero/present time:
Bergamot notes underpinned by dark roses,
some lavender and sage freshen up, a bit quieter in the
Entry than in the return year, but not weak.
Soon first orientalism in its very own way.
Sandalwood and cedar softness.
With patch and vanilla everything melts into a tart-sweet,
almost buttery aura, timelessly cosy and unsubtle-cosy.
A distinctive character. More sexy than sedated.
ZINO lives!"

"Not bad..." said #2, as they
presented, "really not bad."
And now that was really the highest praise that
was to be had.
"Makes a good impression, the boy..." he added,
"not exactly modern, almost old-fashioned, but still good..."
"Few things are so old-fashioned as the desire,
to be modern," Stanley murmured. But only very quietly,
because he didn't want to jeopardize his planned luxury vacation.. he didn't want to jeopardize his planned luxury vacation with Barbie Q. He already knew exactly where it
he knew exactly where to go. He knew of an adventure pool in the Sauerland.
With artificial elder bushes. Decadent on the lounger
...get some fries... ...massage Barbie's neck with Vol de Nuit.. sipping fizzy drinks.. "Stanley...?"
Number Two abruptly snapped him out of his reverie.
"Er...yes...?"
"There's a very urgent case coming in just now! Be there tomorrow
Evening at the "Mole" Inn. Anything else on beer mat!",
number Two snapped him out of his reverie in a metallic voice.
"But I wanted..."
"Nothing but! It's about the western world as we
know it. I'm just saying mu... no, I'd rather not say anything,
who knows if even here the walls don't have ears..."
Barbie gently poked Stanley in the side.
"It's okay, Number Two, he'll be there!"
Knechtobald
For me still Signature and one of the best of his time
I was born in 88, so the Zino is a little ahead of me. Despite that, Zino Davidoff is pretty much the fragrance for me. Beau de Jour by TF is for me honestly an absolute 1 to 1 copy and a cheek to presume to clone Zino. Only in the finish, the Beau is minimally sweeter and longer lasting, but also costs 5 times.

Zino is complex by nature. I love lavender scents as well as Por un homme da Caron and there Zino is just up front. The patchouli, the soft finish, the wood, just everything is right for me here without being too barbershop old-fashioned scent with aldehyde club and the obtrusive.

The fragrance is classic and yet timeless. Also what the price-performance ratio simply unbeatable. However, I must say again that the badge is to be paid attention. Have just swapped again with someone here, thanks to you @Daniel :) and since also again get the tried and tested, but have also experienced reformulations, which are only citrus and toilet stone in the beginning and little complex.

Zino is for me a fragrance that will accompany me forever and despite its low price is a holy grail and is applied respectfully and mindfully.
Certainly nothing for nen 20-year-olds, but from 30 one is with it until old age a gentleman through and through
Classic
An old classic with a kick. Stylish. Spicy. Masculine. Sexy.
Don't be put off by the jumpy top note. As it progresses, it becomes rounder and more pleasing. And then its full power unfolds. A wonderfully original fragrance! For an EDT and at the current price an enormously good durability and sillage. Is actually sold under value

Smooth and creamy woody-spicy
Sometimes we see fragrances making a comeback due to hype or similarities to a new fragrance. That's what happened with Zino. A forgotten piece of work that i accidentally came across with a sample that i bought years ago just for curiosity.

Zino came out in 1986, 2 years before Cool Water and, according to Osmothèque, was created in a collaboration between Michel Almairac and Pierre Bourbon (who later created, alone, Cool Water). A fragrance that has a lot of dry woods (mainly sandalwood and Rosewood) and creamy lavender.

It opens up very strong, woody and with a vanillic background. I detect more rosewood in this fase. To me, one of the best openings in classic fragrances. Smooth, rich and masculine. The thing about this one is that it doesn't feel dated or saturated. It's very vivid and crisp. It would cost a triple of the price, easily. I can't detect any cheap aura or bad quality materials.

Although not dated, the opening feels more mature and "complicated". To me, it is fantastic and reminds me a bit of Heritage by Guerlain (1992). The sharp and aromatic woody note combined with the vanillic background is reminiscent of Guerlain's Heritage but, the comparisons are much more evident in Beau de Jour by Tom Ford. They are 2 completely different scents but, for the first 1-2h, they reach almost the same tone. Both are woody, sharp and aromatic but, Tom Ford is more herbal and bitter, and smokier. Geranium is probably the key to reveil these facets.

Looking at Zino, after 2h the scent dies a lot, turning into a creamy woody-oriental scent with lavender in the front. The woodiness is tamed, the aromatic lavender is more pronounced and the vanilla finishes the composition. I don't detect a lot of patchouli to be honest. It's there, but not strong enough to be considered a patchouli based scent. Lavender, rosewood, sandalwood and vanilla are the stars here.

In the end, the fragrance is not a replacement for Beau de Jour but it's definitely a influence to the Tom Ford creation. I like them both but i wish Zino performed a bit better, specially in the sillage and projection department, where, after a strong opening, dries down and became more of a subtle masculine woody oriental with an aromatic touch. It lasts 6-7h on my skin, projecting a lot during the first 2 hours.

A great composition that still influences new fragrances and with a great price-value. Doesn't smell cheap, doesn't smell dated, has a great opening and a creamy and relaxing drydown, and is created by 2 legends. Buy a bottle or two, while you can. This is one of those dumb reach scents that keeps you entertained and smells awesome.

4/5

JayNayJayNay 1 month ago
I’m on the fence with Zino. Haven’t figured him out yet. No dislike, more like. But it’s so soft, no powerhouse on my skin. Expected more.
ElysiumElysium 6 months ago
It's an old-school scent, luxury, mature, opulent, with a ruling rosewood, lots of aromatic lavender, and leaves nothing to the imagination.
ChicoRoch1ChicoRoch1 7 months ago
Another masculine from the 1980s that's, alas, been discontinued. Shame
MatuxMatux 9 months ago
Very elegant and mature fougere that lead the road to others of the kind: Creed's Viking, TF Beau de Jour or even H24's basenote.
50something50something 10 months ago
Old man fragrance. Grandpa fragrance. Dated. I love when people say this, it means less people wearing it. I love this juice!
JFP26JFP26 1 year ago
Opens citrusy with lavender. Dries down into a woodsy-patchouli scent. Yes old school vibe but not dated. I'm on my mid 20s and I love it!
MichaltutajMichaltutaj 1 year ago
0.5
What the actual f***?! It smells like awful detergents which is probably due to the mix of bergamot and patchouli. How can it be rated 8.1?!
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
Manly, mature scent that opens with lavender and rosewood. Then a strong, woodsy patchouli appears. In the base, sandalwood and vanilla.
Finerthings8Finerthings8 2 years ago
It is not the easy one to wear. It has a bit old vibe to it and very synthetic. It shouldn’t be over sprayed.it takes time to enjoy this
EsojoEsojo 2 years ago
I love the scent but somehow it does not fit me. I'll try you again sometime, Zino!

by Lullaby
by Elysium
by Elysium
by Moreno
by Moreno
klassische süßwürzige Männlichkeit - Davidoff Zino (1986)
by Parma
by Sisyphos
by Sisyphos
by Deep666
by Deep666
Vintage: Davidoff - Zino 75ml EDT (Splash)
by MrNiceGuy
by Martin660
by MyKosmo
by MyKosmo

Popular by Davidoff

Relax (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Davidoff (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Amber Blend by Davidoff Cool Water (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Good Life for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Agar Blend by Davidoff Cool Water Intense by Davidoff Leather Blend by Davidoff Silver Shadow (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Cool Water Aquaman Collector Edition by Davidoff Davidoff (After Shave) by Davidoff Cool Water Parfum by Davidoff Adventure (Eau de Toilette) by Davidoff Relax (After Shave) by Davidoff Hot Water Night by Davidoff Wood Blend by Davidoff Zino (After Shave) by Davidoff Cool Water Wave for Men by Davidoff The Game Intense by Davidoff Cool Water Intense for Her by Davidoff