Original 1975 Eau de Toilette

Original (Eau de Toilette) by Denim
Original (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Denim for men and was released in 1975. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by CODAA.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot LemonLemon Orange blossomOrange blossom BasilBasil
Heart Notes Heart NotesBay leafBay leaf SageSage VermouthVermouth PatchouliPatchouli CedarCedar
Base Notes Base NotesPepperPepper CardamomCardamom CinnamonCinnamon Tonka beanTonka bean AmberAmber OakmossOakmoss LeatherLeather

Submitted by Steffel13589, last update on 24.06.2022.

The smell of my youth
This is where it all started for me. Growing up on the island of Malta in the 1980s, there wasn't the culture of cologne. For men of all ages, cologne was reserved for special occasions only (i.e. Aramis Classic). On the daily, men wore aftershave. Old men wore barbershop: mostly Brut (talcy lavender) and Tabac (musky floral). Young men wore Denim (spicy powerhouse) due to a massive advertising campaign from the neighboring Italy. The tagline roughly translated to "for the man who never has to ask for [sex]" ...not very PC by today's standards. As a result, I'm wired to associate barbershop with gentlemanly scents, and powerhouses with manly scents.

Denim is the smell of my youth. I frequently pick it as my SOTD over fragrances that cost over 10 times more. I'll always have a bottle in my collection. With that disclaimer out of the way, on to the review.

The opening of Denim Original is a fresh burst of spicy citrus, musky soap, and to my nose also a honey accord. The dry-down is less citrusy but woodier. Not a modern smell, but given its manly freshness, it might be easy for young men to pull off. As with all my other fragrances, this is not something you wear for external gratification, this is one you wear to please yourself.

I never got the fabled hours and hours of performance from Denim aftershave and the same goes for the EDT. But given its ridiculously low price-tag, I'll forgive the 1 hour of projection, low sillage, and 3-4 hours of longevity.

Masculinity Level: Steve McQueen in Bullitt, effortless cool.
Attenzione: Aleppo Soap made in Italy
Nefertiti was always lost in the hammam.

A door flies open, and deep dark green basil with a few orange blossoms swells towards her, almost animalistic and not at all citric. Strong statement. Nefertiti realizes this must be the men's department. It doesn't matter, she can hear the scent here at the door, she doesn't have to go in at all.

The next moment it blows around them spicy, powdery and bittersweet: laurel soap with sage oil and wormwood extract. She would like such a soap massage now, although the masseurs here are quite rough, that goes through and through. And lasts. But afterwards in the relaxation room it is really relaxing, there it smells of moss, cardamom and a little incense. Here you can linger for hours, for hours.

Conclusion: Strong. So be careful with the dose! Unsuitable for ghosts.

Nofretete enjoys Denim Original occasionally alone at home and listens to "Summun Bukmun Umyun" by Pharoah Sanders (album 1970).
Classic drugstore
I discovered Denim EdT on holiday in Italy. There it is a classic drugstore smell similar to Tabac original in Germany. Unfortunately one gets it here only in the dispatch or it is squandered with cheap homeers. This is probably due to market trends. I associate summer and relaxation with denim. I find the 70's aesthetics of the old commercials and the bottle amusing, but at that time I had no interest in scented water, so this does not cause me any authentic reactions.
As a fragrance note I particularly enjoy the orange notes and the spicy components, which form an interesting combination, a fragrance that is hardly to be found in Germany. It's certainly not a fashion fragrance, but one with a distinct character of its own, which probably doesn't appeal to everyone either.

Online you can also get the very nice aftershave, deodorant and shower gel for really small prices. All products have an intense and very similar fragrance. Especially in combination they should probably be used sparingly. Cheap? Rather cheap and also worth significantly more than the price demanded.

GothicHeart
Always blue but never moody...
An evocative music is playing in the background. A woman's hand with blood red nails, is slowly coming down a man's chest, caressing prepensely his jeans shirt. She wantonly opens one of its buttons, clearly showing what her intentions are, and then moves to the next one. Before unbuttoning it too, the man's hand falls abruptly on hers, stopping it. A gruff male voice says: "Denim. For the man who doesn't have to try too hard..."
It's 1976. I'm sitting mesmerised in front of the TV, trying to decipher in my juvenile mind what this commercial is about. Words like sex and lust mean nothing to me, and girls are just for scaring them, or chasing them down to empty a glass of water on their heads.
It's 1982. Girls now mean a lot more than they used to, and I know what sex is and what the commercial was talking about. Theoretically at least. One of my uncles, a not handsome but charming as hell man, has the frozen glass bottle, which some years ago took my breath away, in his bathroom. Without thinking twice, I pour a good deal on my hands and splash it on my face. And I'm mesmerised again. My cheeks become red with excitement. This is the real thing! This is... sex! Or at least how sex must smell like. I exit the bathroom and wait for a while, trying to come up with an excuse for the way I smell. In less than 5 seconds, my uncle raises his head from 5 metres away and with a broad smile on his face he asks "Do you like it?"...
It's 2014. Nearly 40 years after it hit the ground running, Denim is still the smell of my night-time fantasies, and it evokes the same excitement which I felt when I was trying to understand what was it that a man didn't have to try too hard about back in 1976. I don't know of any other product, perfume or not, that goes on with the same slogan for 40 years, which means that the bloody thing works. And how could it be any different? This is one of the most honest and downright fragrances I know, if it doesn't top them all. It's raw, it's unpretentious, it's easygoing, it's as masculine as they come. It's Denim. Simple as that...

JFP26JFP26 7 months ago
It's a masculine, fresh, green scent with some funkiness going on. Reminds me of a business person and takes me back to my childhood. Good.

by Camey5000
by Keinohrnase
by MrOllium
by MrOllium

Popular by Denim

Musk / Moschus (Eau de Toilette) by Denim Musk / Moschus (After Shave) by Denim Original (After Shave) by Denim Black (Eau de Toilette) by Denim Gold (After Shave) by Denim Black (After Shave) by Denim Gold (Eau de Toilette) by Denim Wild (Eau de Toilette) by Denim Sync by Denim Chill (Eau de Toilette) by Denim Vibe by Denim Temptation (Eau de Toilette) by Denim Illusion (Eau de Toilette) by Denim Temptation (After Shave) by Denim Unleash (Eau de Toilette) by Denim Unleash (After Shave) by Denim 1976 by Denim Azure by Denim Cult (Cologne) by Denim Cult (After Shave) by Denim