Fuel for Life Spirit 2013

Fuel for Life Spirit by Diesel
Fuel for Life Spirit is a popular perfume by Diesel for men and was released in 2013. The scent is sweet-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruitGrapefruit CinnamonCinnamon BergamotBergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesIrisIris Orange blossomOrange blossom GeraniumGeranium
Base Notes Base NotesAmberwoodAmberwood FrankincenseFrankincense LabdanumLabdanum MyrrhMyrrh

Submitted by Michael, last update on 16.01.2022.

A Turbo Diesel for a change
I have never been a Diesel person... or a Lacoste person, or an Abercrombie person for that matter. I don't fancy easy hype fashion trends or overhyped labels.
I only pay attention to established brands in my own way. I like my good old Lee and Wrangler jeans, my always trustable Springfield and Dutti sweaters and shirts, my comfy Adidas and Vans sneakers, my smooth fit Coolway boots, my durable Rockport shoes, my smart Shott jackets, my never ageing Pepe Jeans socks, my right size H&M underwear, my fancy Rochas scarfs, my stylish Caramelo blazers and suits, my old-style Burberry raincoats... I must have a purpose to trust a single brand for any particular item. Diesel just seems not to fit in my consumer philosophy. As you can see, I am far from being a single brand person. Over the years I have developed my relationship with my favourite brands, but only because of a single specific item. Sometimes I rely on expensive "names", but I also pick inexpensive labels. I am also very fickle with my so-called trusted brands. I often change my preferences.
Till very recently, I never bought any kind of Diesel branded goods, but some months ago I bought Fuel for Life Spirit. This so far long explanation serves only the purpose to make clear that I did not buy this fragrance due to the hyped Diesel brand name. On the contrary! The hyped Diesel brand name kept me away from paying attention to Diesel fragrances.
Quoting our colleague Chnokfir in his magnific review, Diesel had so far "meaningless fragrances, paired with questionable bottles such as vivid green DDT spray dispensers, red cones, scruffy flasks and clenched fists". Their presentation style also did not help much to raise my interest in Diesel as a fragrance designer. Till a couple of months ago, all the scents I had experimented with Diesel, were what I usually nickname as "chicken soup" fragrances.
After trying "Fuel for Life Spirit" I immediately recognised that there was more than just useless hope in what Diesel fragrances were concerned. Other designer scents I love, immediately arose to my mind. Fragrances like Eau des Baux, L'Homme L'Intense and Excellence Intense for instance. Fuel for Life Spirit is not really an intense fragrance but the scent is quite pleasant. So far, it's the only perfume I own from this designer. I also must confess that I am not curious about trying any other Diesel bottle.

The fragrance opens with mildly sweet enjoyable cinnamon freshened by citrus. The heart development sustains that mild sweet vibe with some floral notes added. At the bottom we are indulged with a very pleasant incense, amber, resins and woody manly accords, that will endure through the also very agreeable dry down. It's not really a unique fragrance, as it follows the steps of other designers. Diesel aimed at making an adequate quality fragrance fit for the 21st-century masculine taste. Besides the related perfumes I already mentioned, I also may suggest similar vibes with The One for Men Eau de Toilette, Altamir Eau de Toilette, Gaultier² and 1 Million Privé.

How do I rate this Diesel scent that doesn't smell like diesel oil?
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Scent opening: 8.0 (very good but similar to other cinnamon opening fragrances)
- Scent Dry Down: 9.0 (really good ambary dry down, but I would like it a bit more intense)
- Longevity: 8.0 (8 hours on my skin, with 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 8.0 (sillage peeking up to 6 feet, projecting for 2.5 hours)
- Versatility: 8.0 (versatile, expressing itself better in Spring and Fall; at ease on winter days and in summer nights)
- Usability: 8.0 (Don't use it on any occasion requiring a fresh scent)
- Compliments: 8.0 (This scent should be a compliment grabber, but it's similar to a bunch of more well-known designer fragrances. It will smell manly and sexy, but not different)
- Uniqueness: 7.0 (It's similar to a bunch of more well-known fragrances like L'Homme L'Intense)
- Quality: 8.0 (quality slightly above average)
- Presentation: 8.0 (Nice, agreeable flask and cap)
- Price: 6.0 (€ 35 for a 75 ml tester flask on sale; usually €45~€50 for a non-tester 75 ml)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Average: 7.82/10.00
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on Fuel for Life Spirit:
It's a good and manly designer fragrance. It leans a bit on the sweet side, with a pleasant cinnamon opening and an oriental ambary/incense dry down. But it's also somewhat expensive if compared with similar designer scents. Altamir Eau de Toilette is a similar fragrance (actually better in my opinion) and costs less than half the price of this Diesel perfume.
Recommended? It's easy to recommend this nice and easy to wear masculine scent. You may consider a similar fragrance for a lesser price unless you are willing to pay for the Diesel brand name.
Is blind buy worthy? Only if you are a Diesel brand addict, and if you don't care about this brand higher price!

Music: Blackmill - "Spirit of Life"

The Spirit Wins ... never mind the past reputation
Back in 1990: The author of this review fancies - other than "Photo" by Lagerfeld, "Obsession" by Calvin Klein or "Nightflight" by Joops - those dark blue chucks, the red jeans and white T-shirts with that black Diesel/Indian emblem. This was just as "IN" as Chiemsee, Ed Hardy, Abercrombie & Fitch or Hollister.

In the 2000s not only the clothing style of the writer has changed slightly, but also the image of the Diesel line. Relatively meaningless fragrances are paired with questionable bottles, such as vivid green DDT spray dispensers, red cones, scruffy flasks and clenched fists. In this connection, the author cannot help but think of the memorable interview with the punk stars Bela and Farin (die "Aerzte") (= the "doctors") and ... while elaborating about sexual preferences, those "doctors" pointed to a spot above the elbow and said that "everything below that point is still fun"! So, well, the level of some of the Diesel scents ranges well below some raunchy doctors jokes. But I have to admit that with "Fuel for Life Spirit" the house of Diesel has had a stroke of luck; I for once have nothing to complain about.

An unusually discreet golden brown carton with understated print. A bottle which reminds me of the field flask, but fortunately without the half-rotten jute cover; instead, a raised lettering on the glass, discreetly gilded. Feels good in the hand, easy to spray: it fits!

Already at the first spray, you know where the ride will go: it is spicy and sweet. A not-at-all Christmas-type cinnamon makes the opening and is supported by a sweetness which seems to come from a not very citric grapefruit. After that, sweet and flowery blossoms follow. A non-scratchy incense fits perfectly with the cinnamon and woody notes offer a soft and warm support. Warm and yet masculine.

It is nice when a scent gives me a warm welcome and there are no ugly surprises, as are in some other current scents. Instead, "Spirit" is fully and intensely present without getting on my nerves. Warm and smooth like a good Bourbon, spicy and pleasantly male. Sillage is strong, but still tolerable in an office environment; longevity rates an enthusiastic OK with almost 10 hours, as the scent is fading away in a linear fashion. This is what I like!

This is the first of the Diesel fragrances that could win me over. It interprets classic masculine notes, yet is modern in keeping with current trends. Not bad at all, I could get used to this scent ...

(Translation: Pipette)

Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 4 months ago
fresh ambery scent with cinnemon undertones. I also get some slight root beer vibes making it kinda fizzy. Definetly an upgrade to the OG
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Fuel for Life Spirit is really pleasant. It's a manly sweet fragrance, with a pleasant cinnamon opening and oriental ambery incense drydown.

by Canuck
by Canuck

Popular by Diesel

Loverdose Red Kiss by Diesel Spirit of the Brave Intense by Diesel Fuel for Life Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel Fuel for Life Unlimited by Diesel Fuel for Life Femme Summer Edition 2010 by Diesel Plus Plus Feminine by Diesel Loverdose by Diesel Fuel for Life Femme by Diesel Loverdose Tattoo by Diesel Only The Brave (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel Zero Plus Masculine (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel Only The Brave Tattoo by Diesel Bad Intense by Diesel Plus Plus Masculine (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel Fuel for Life Homme Denim Collection by Diesel Bad by Diesel Only The Brave High by Diesel Spirit of the Brave by Diesel Fuel for Life Femme Denim Collection by Diesel Only The Brave Extreme by Diesel