Only The Brave 2009 Eau de Toilette

Only The Brave (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel
Bottle Design Patrick Veillet
Only The Brave (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Diesel for men and was released in 2009. The scent is synthetic-sweet. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesPrimofiore lemonPrimofiore lemon
RosemaryRosemary
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwoodCedarwood
AmberAmber
LeatherLeather

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 03.01.2022.

The face of the advertising campaign is actor Alex Pettyfer. Previously, actor Liam Hemsworth was the face of the campaign, among others.

JackyJacky
Inherent in every ending is a beginning...
As every blossom withers and every youth
Gives way to age, every stage of life blooms,
Blossoms every wisdom also, and every virtue
In its time and may not last forever...
[Hesse]

As each stage of life bears its virtue(s), so each is also linked with fragrances, with this re-immersion into past times, into former dreams, fears, longings.
One of my greatest fears is to stand in one place, to find no courage for the next stage of life, to pause....

May be that from an objective-sober perspective, the fragrance is rather to be located under the wheel and the bottle does not have the aesthetics of a glass bead, certainly it is also not individual enough to be worn by a Harry Haller à la social Steppenwolf. Certainly also not a sensual seduction to make a courtesan like Kamala roll her eyes in lust (although it does not go down badly with some ladies, despite synthetics).
All these "flaws" notwithstanding, I associate with this fragrance an important stage of life: the first steps from adolescent to young man. The symbolism of the fist is highly alluring in these years, one believes in the harshness of a struggle for survival propagated by Nietzsche - one thinks the fragrance is unique enough to make a statement....
We all had youthfully naive views and perspectives that we can reflect on today with a sly wink, didn't we?

It sometimes doesn't take courage to wear a fragrance, but it does sometimes take courage to take the next step.
I wish us all that courage.
Manogi
You really don't have to be brave for that one
"Only the Brave" was a bonus on a re-delivery from Flaconi. From the name I would have expected a fragrance that is extraordinary. That challenges me. That polarizes. That not everyone can wear. Just only the brave, as with some of me very appreciated animalic fragrances.

To take it in advance: All this is not the case. You don't have to be brave to wear Only the Brave. It is not extraordinary. He doesn't challenge me. It doesn't polarize. It can be worn by anyone who doesn't get sick of citrus.

The fragrance is quickly described. It is a very one-dimensional citrus fragrance with a few spicy nuances and unfortunately zero course. Labdanum and leather would make him a little more interesting - would you notice because what of it. In particular, that the leather goes completely under, I find disappointing.

What ultimately saves it for me, is the tangerine, which I find as the only citrus scent still somewhat interesting. With it, you can create beautiful fragrance compositions that also inspire me. But even that is a complete failure here. "Only the Brave" is just boring.

Conclusion: this is a boring, one-dimensional citrus fragrance without any interesting twists. Perhaps, however, just that makes him well wearable for the great masses. This is also reflected in the price, which I think for this quality, however, even a little too high. At least it lasts well, and the sillage is decent. If you don't like surprises and instead like citrus scents, you'll be fine with it. For me, he is nothing.
3.5
Undercover Deodorant
As Diesel never really appealed to me, I wanted to give the brand a chance and thought I would try the probably most famous Diesel fragrance. "Only the brave" is the name of the scent. The name promises a lot, in addition to the bottle in fist form.
As cool and masculine as the presentation is, the scent unfortunately does not convince me at all.
It is citric-fresh and in my opinion has no character of its own, smells to me like a sports deodorant. Yet he is as superficial as it gets and therefore seems to me to be quite cheap.
Throughout the entire development one perceives an overly sweet tangerine, which then takes away the last bit of nobility. Please do not be confused by my last sentence, because I mentioned the word "development", there is no such thing here. The scent simply becomes mustier over time until an overly sweet, synthetic scent takes over.
Don't get me wrong, the fragrance is not bad in its fresh phase, but I have smelled fragrances with much more depth and character in Zara and that might mean something.
My advice: don't touch it
Chaotus
Actually nothing to complain about...
So also I join my previous speaker and am absolutely not of the opinion that this is not a bad scent. I got the 200 ml bottle for free and since then I wear this fragrance every now and then in spring and summer, because it smells very citric-fresh, but not in the least too sweet or unmanly. The Sillage is not outstanding, but ok.

A down-to-earth summer scent that anyone (not just a teenager) can wear. It has been proven that it goes down better with women than with some men, it seems to me... A rating under 7, let alone under 6, he still has not earned in my opinion. Rather the dislike against the perfume brand Diesel seems to flow here into the evaluations with...

Sure, you don't have to wait for a development on the skin, because none is coming, but for the price and the quite good durability, 7-8 hours of office are loose in it, I think you can't do anything wrong here...

A bad processing of the flacon I can not confirm by the way at all, I have only the large 200ml fist before me and do not know like it is with smaller remarks, however the glass is very thick and heavy with me and works very high-quality, plastic-like is here nothing at all...

Good scent of the middle class. Just don't expect too much, then there's nothing to complain about...
Young professional
Only The Brave is a fragrance that, in my opinion, comes off a little too badly here.

It is not the revelation of the olfactory world, but a rather solid everyday scent which is very pleasant precisely because of its simple nature. Would be a very good gift for all not perfume enthusiasts, because it has nothing at all what you could not stand.

Shower gel meets fresh laundry and shaving foam. The course is as good as none, except that the fragrance is slightly more fruity at the beginning than at the end, which is very inconspicuous in practice. The fragrance is young, dynamic but has gotten on in years.

The shelf life is okay, 6 hours are in it, 4 hours of it is the Sillage of it acceptable and then it decreases.

In my opinion the only really acceptable and portable fist.

Speaking of Faust...

The bottle is an insolence. Rarely had such "plastic-like" glass in his hand, whose head is so strangely wobbly constructed. I would have expected more from a bottle line that is really always the same in shape. After all, the sprays are fine.
3.5
Konsalik
RTL 16:00: "Fraud cases" (A case study)

It's not like I believe advertising. And who says they do? One is hard-boiled and only too gladly presents oneself as narrow-mindedly unimpressible (even if one admits with a wink with increasing maturity and introspection ability that of course this is not the case). Nevertheless, and precisely for this reason, it is certainly good and right to make grossly misleading advertising, the smooth fraud with words as such to identify. If this does not happen regularly, the deception will at some point no longer be seen through as such, the reversal and decoring of the meaning of the word will be tacitly recognized as such ("This is how it is.") with the side effect that even the next generation no longer knows what the content originally underlying the words was, the semantic core.

Fraud is now ubiquitous, not least in the perfume industry. And by this I don't mean the basically ingeniously executed idea of the late eighties to project something odourless or olfactory badly catchable like water or the ocean with clever tricks, so to speak via detours into the user's imagination. This is the origin of creative arts and crafts, such as the thunderbolt in the theatre, which is produced with the help of metal plates. Nothing to complain about. What I mean is the corruption of the primary perception of (younger) buyers.
Diesel writes about Only The Brave on the test box: "A luminous punch of leather warmed up by a blend of amber and woods". That's just a lie. The initial "punch" is punch. Mandarin champagne. "Puff!" The amber note shy and pale, not identifying the wood as such. Only this plastic-like, almost metallic piercing, which is accepted almost without contradiction as a "wood note", is present, which always occupies my palate with furry smells (one knows the substances responsible for it). There are numerous fragrances that in turn prove that things can be much better. At the same time, a peel of pepper enhances the impression of watery, hollowed out and weakness that is present in all penetrance
I am not concerned in this criticism with defending outdated chains of associations with regard to ideas of masculinity (anyone who knows my other reviews knows that I don't care about them). Nevertheless, I'd like to note that the part of Only The Brave that has substance (The "Punch" in the top note) would go better with a ladies', no, girls' perfume - and not even badly. Would one of the famous beauty bloggers launch her own perfume: The top note would have its place there. So it's all about the deception and the confusion in my mind: Nothing smells like leather, amber or wood. Not even in the beginning. And if the idea of mandarin champagne and anaemia can be combined and marketed with "braveness", brass knuckles and street credibility, the cultural pessimist comes up in me despite all the above limitations. I hope they'll forgive me.
0.5
Sanji
the worst smell I've ever smelled
I don't know what this scent is all about. Opening was eig. quite ok, 0815 fresh but then it would be really bad. I can't describe it exactly but it smelled so calmy and above all so extremely intense and I couldn't wash it off even though I only sprayed it with a tester. I don't know if it was any particular note or maybe it was a teacher or something that I absolutely didn't like. Anyway, I've smelled a lot of perfumes so far but this one was by far the worst.
Youngstar
This was my very first fragrance in my perfume collection. When I bought this EdT as a 15-year-old, I was absolutely thrilled. I wore it on every occasion and in every season.
Looking back, I almost felt sorry for my classmates who had to smell this synthetic cloud all day long. But then I remember that most of them drowned themselves in One Million and so I can sleep peacefully again.

8 years later this fragrance is still on my shelf, but more for memory reasons than for the fragrance. The perfomance is still good and the sprayer still works perfectly. I still have to mention again that this fragrance is clearly designed for very young people and you should only wear it in cold weather.

Brave? Really?
You really don’t need to be brave to wear this one. Don’t let the name fool you.
I say it’s a decent scent and it hardly offends anyone. Just a nice juice with no big attitude. I also think more people would like/wear this one if it wasn’t for the tacky bottle. Especially the ones above 30.

for fall
i like the scent and i think it is suitable for fall season not for summer and i think the final note is great and good longevity and sillage is good too.

Kazos07Kazos07 8 months ago
More like "Only The Safe". Boring, weak, fruity scent
WildGardenerWildGardener 9 months ago
Pepper and caramel.
Beurk!
BeginswithaJBeginswithaJ 1 year ago
'Only the timid'. Unobtrusive, young, middle of the road scent that doesn't turn heads. Nice office fragrance for young(!) professionals.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
To my nose, it smells exactly like Boss Bottled Unlimited . Fresh, synthetic (maybe a little more than the Boss), sweet and a bit leathery.

by Andreas09
by Thecombad
by Citrusman
by Citrusman

Popular Diesel

Fuel for Life Spirit by Diesel Loverdose Red Kiss by Diesel Fuel for Life Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel Fuel for Life Femme Summer Edition 2010 by Diesel Spirit of the Brave Intense by Diesel Loverdose by Diesel Fuel for Life Unlimited by Diesel Plus Plus Feminine by Diesel Loverdose Tattoo by Diesel Fuel for Life Femme by Diesel Zero Plus Masculine (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel Only The Brave Tattoo by Diesel Bad Intense by Diesel Plus Plus Masculine (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel Fuel for Life Homme Denim Collection by Diesel Bad by Diesel Only The Brave High by Diesel Fuel for Life Femme Denim Collection by Diesel Only The Brave Extreme by Diesel Spirit of the Brave by Diesel