Only The Brave (2009) Eau de Toilette

Only The Brave (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel
Bottle Design: Anna Hecker

Only The Brave (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Diesel for men and was released in 2009. The scent is sweet-synthetic. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesPrimofiore lemon, Mandarin, Coriander leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesLabdanum, Violet leaf, Rosemary
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwood, Amber, Leather

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.07.2019

The face of the advertising campaign is actor Alex Pettyfer. Previously, actor Liam Hemsworth was the face of the campaign, among others.

6.0 10.0 9.0 3.0/10

Kills every
In the beginning it doesn't smell bad and has recognition value. Unfortunately, it quickly turns into a sweet-synthetic confusion and kills everyone. Anybody.

I always accidentally overdosed it. 2-3 sprayers and 1 hour later in the office you hear something like:
"Whoa, who's gotten diesel?"

Other day 2 sprayer
"who sprayed deodorant around"

Later, everyone talks to you about how you can be smelled from everywhere. Not so awesome. Maybe wrong setting. Sillage is hardcore.

Don't trust me to use that either. He's rotting in my collection now.

But also because the drydown from Plörre smells musty like old socks..
I don't know if it's just me but it's the only scent I have that smells like old socks. With curd soap.
Well, actually, almost nobody likes him.

I was lured to the store with the top note. And unfortunately, I bit.
3.5/10

Konsalik
RTL 16:00: "Fraud cases" (A case study)

It's not like I believe advertising. And who says they do? One is hard-boiled and only too gladly presents oneself as narrow-mindedly unimpressible (even if one admits with a wink with increasing maturity and introspection ability that of course this is not the case). Nevertheless, and precisely for this reason, it is certainly good and right to make grossly misleading advertising, the smooth fraud with words as such to identify. If this does not happen regularly, the deception will at some point no longer be seen through as such, the reversal and decoring of the meaning of the word will be tacitly recognized as such ("This is how it is.") with the side effect that even the next generation no longer knows what the content originally underlying the words was, the semantic core.

Fraud is now ubiquitous, not least in the perfume industry. And by this I don't mean the basically ingeniously executed idea of the late eighties to project something odourless or olfactory badly catchable like water or the ocean with clever tricks, so to speak via detours into the user's imagination. This is the origin of creative arts and crafts, such as the thunderbolt in the theatre, which is produced with the help of metal plates. Nothing to complain about. What I mean is the corruption of the primary perception of (younger) buyers.
Diesel writes about Only The Brave on the test box: "A luminous punch of leather warmed up by a blend of amber and woods". That's just a lie. The initial "punch" is punch. Mandarin champagne. "Puff!" The amber note shy and pale, not identifying the wood as such. Only this plastic-like, almost metallic piercing, which is accepted almost without contradiction as a "wood note", is present, which always occupies my palate with furry smells (one knows the substances responsible for it). There are numerous fragrances that in turn prove that things can be much better. At the same time, a peel of pepper enhances the impression of watery, hollowed out and weakness that is present in all penetrance
I am not concerned in this criticism with defending outdated chains of associations with regard to ideas of masculinity (anyone who knows my other reviews knows that I don't care about them). Nevertheless, I'd like to note that the part of Only The Brave that has substance (The "Punch" in the top note) would go better with a ladies', no, girls' perfume - and not even badly. Would one of the famous beauty bloggers launch her own perfume: The top note would have its place there. So it's all about the deception and the confusion in my mind: Nothing smells like leather, amber or wood. Not even in the beginning. And if the idea of mandarin champagne and anaemia can be combined and marketed with "braveness", brass knuckles and street credibility, the cultural pessimist comes up in me despite all the above limitations. I hope they'll forgive me.
4.0 10.0 0.5/10

Sanji
the worst smell I've ever smelled
I don't know what this scent is all about. Opening was eig. quite ok, 0815 fresh but then it would be really bad. I can't describe it exactly but it smelled so calmy and above all so extremely intense and I couldn't wash it off even though I only sprayed it with a tester. I don't know if it was any particular note or maybe it was a teacher or something that I absolutely didn't like. Anyway, I've smelled a lot of perfumes so far but this one was by far the worst.
6.0 6.0 7.0 7.0/10

Brave? Really?
You really don’t need to be brave to wear this one. Don’t let the name fool you.
I say it’s a decent scent and it hardly offends anyone. Just a nice juice with no big attitude. I also think more people would like/wear this one if it wasn’t for the tacky bottle. Especially the ones above 30.
7.5 7.5 7.5 6.5/10

for fall
i like the scent and i think it is suitable for fall season not for summer and i think the final note is great and good longevity and sillage is good too.
7.5 2.5 2.5 4.0/10

Nice but weak
I'm not satisfied at all. The scent is great, but both longevity and projection are dramatically weak. I have wasted my money on that product. I expected more from Diesel brand. The only good point of this perfume is the subtle design of the bottle.
7.5 5.0 5.0/10

Not so brave nor attractive
Very rarely do I dislike a male fragrance. Unfortunately this fragrance was the first masculine scent that disappointed me.

The first thing I thought when I tried Only The Brave, was that it smelt rather bland and boring. It certainly didn't have me going 'ga-ga' or unleashing my hidden female instincts.

The leather note made its entrance rather strongly, making me screw my face up with distaste. I didn't get much lemon in this fragrance, if there had have been, I'd probably have reacted badly.

I really don't like the bottle design, it's quite nonsensical and in some ways scary. A handy tip for men; never display this bottle beside the bed when your lady is around, it may just give her nightmares.

The name of this fragrance, doesn't seem to suit the scent. 'Brave'? There is nothing brave or daring about this fragrance, 'Safe' would have been a better name.
5.0 5.0 5.0 5.0/10

Cory
Not as lively as the package suggests...!
I´ve tested a sample of Only the Brave by Diesel. I was skeptical because of the package, which is a little bit overdone for my taste... The fragrance itself is not overdone at all, but really sweat with a synthetic note but is overall a little bit expressionless. It starts with nice top notes consisting mainly of mandarine in combination with lemon. To my opinion, all notes coming afterwards are too weak and too less differenciated. I do not dislike this fragrance, but it is lacking something to make it kind of special. Also the synthetical impression never really fades...

by Andreas09
by Thecombad
by Citrusman
by Citrusman

Popular Diesel

Only The Brave (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel Loverdose by Diesel Fuel for Life Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel Only The Brave Tattoo by Diesel Fuel for Life Spirit by Diesel Fuel for Life Femme by Diesel Loverdose Tattoo by Diesel Loverdose Red Kiss by Diesel Plus Plus Feminine by Diesel Bad by Diesel Zero Plus Masculine (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel Fuel for Life Unlimited by Diesel Only The Brave Wild by Diesel Plus Plus Masculine (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel Zero Plus Feminine by Diesel Loverdose (Eau de Toilette) by Diesel Only The Brave Street by Diesel Bad Intense by Diesel Fuel for Life Homme Denim Collection by Diesel Fuel for Life Femme Denim Collection by Diesel