Dior Homme (2011) Eau de Toilette

Version from 2011
Dior Homme (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior
Bottle Design: Tsutomu Kiyama

Dior Homme (2011) (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for men and was released in 2011. The scent is powdery-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Lavender, Sage
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmber, Tuscan iris absolute, Cocoa, Guatemala cardamom
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Patchouli, Haitian vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 23.10.2019

10.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

The Star of the Show
Dior Homme is the greatest masterpiece of Dior, although not the most hyped in the fragrance community, fortunately.

Its magic resides in its rendition as an "Adagio espressivo" and not as the "Vivace fortissimo" that prevails in some of its most famous flankers.

Dior Homme was the fragrance that initiated a new paradigm of sophistication for men, being copied multiple times by major brands and designers.... Even within Dior's own brand.

So yes, It has started a new fragrance trend which is characterized by the use of Iris - instead of Ambroxan -. Oddly, the "fragrance snobs" still don't call that line of derivative formulas: "Generic" - and there are dozens of them, now -; the only certain thing is that none of that "inspired fragrances" has achieved the perfection of Dior Homme. The success of some of these flankers and copies lies in what they offer, which is specifically more "loudness" ... And we live in a world where being "more" seems better.

... But that is not always true, and the resulting side effect in them is the loss of many, many nuances and the "musical degradation of the perfect score": Magic has never been in the iris note and no, elegance isn't a "lipstick vibe".

On the other hand, there's a legend that Dior Homme smells feminine and is absolutely false; I recognize that the initial note of iris can disorient when you smell it in a tester, for the first time. Right... But it doesn't smell feminine when you wear it: Dior Homme is exactly the scent of a modern gentleman.

What is possible, is that you have to wear a proper look... Maybe it'll give that feminine vibe to a bearded biker, full of tattoos, skewers, leather and chains... But that doesn't happen if you wear a business suit. Or a Tuxedo. Be confident, you can be sure.

... And if I remember correctly, Christian Dior never was a designer that made fashion for bearded bikers.

I have to say at this point that IMHO, Dior Homme Intense is much more feminine than Dior Homme. Yes, it's "louder", but so is the "lipstick & powdery vibe" and the iris note, which is much more isolated and sharper. It loses the audacity of the citrus accompaniment and is sheltered in a dominant and sweeter cocoa base, which loses its "dry" and woody nuances; the result is a great fragrance, no doubt - it has the DNA of the original - but more feminine, loud and coarse. And something similar happens with Dior Homme Parfum.

Instead, the original Dior Homme balances the iris, bergamot, laverder and sage notes with master precision, making them part of a perfect olfactory harmony; this section of the scent is clean, fresh and refreshing.... Pure boldness and elegance.

Then, this section is padded with the notes of cocoa and amber, in a sparkling and warm creaminess... While the vetiver, patchouli and leather begin to be heard, softly, in the piece... As a "crescendo amabile" full of sensuality, that grows to complete the perfect symphony.

... To complete the analogy with its "prodigal flankers" (DHI & DHP), I would say that Dior Homme is like listening to the Vienna Symphony Orchestra in a magnificent auditorium, and its flankers are like a modern pop group performing at Madison Square Garden with a large section of strings (hired by the record company...).

Now:

- Longevity: > 8h (skin & clothes).
- Projection: Moderate.
- Mood: Confident, elegant, gentlemanly... Bold and classy.
- Scenario & Occasions: From business to formal events and nights, all year round (except days of extreme heat).

Conclusion: A unique creation, the first and true star of the show.
10.0 8.0 7.0 8.0/10

Alex2707
When your little brother snatches your girls away.
The Dior Homme DNA and I are connected by an intimate love. This one found its climax funny enough in Valentino Uomo Intense, who is basically a "better DHI".
I have been allowed to call both DHI and the Dior Homme perfume my own for years.
Both are absolute grenades and I bought them several times.

Dior homme Edt was never interesting for me, because I always assumed that it was a lighter version of DHI. Ohh what a mistake!

Of course, the DNA can also be seen in the Dior Homme Edt, but it is much fresher and more versatile. In my experience he is much more popular with women, with which he clearly snatches the ladies from his big brother DHI :)

He starts citrically with bergamot and sage which is also known from YSL fragrances. It smells very harmonious, fresh and clean. A few woods are also included.
Then the iris tonka beans bomb!
However, this combination is less sticky than in DHI. I also notice a hint of cocoa.

Due to the fresher note it can be used more widely than DHI and due to the often significantly lower price it is a good everyday fragrance.

The Sillage is very strong for an Edt.
The shelf life is a good 5 hours.
10.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Profumorist
We'll be able to say, "We were there."
I have an interesting history of fragrance preferences behind me. I was born in 1980, so my preference for perfumes began around 1994. I wore CK One, CK Be, Cool Water and Tommy Cologne. But also treasures like the old Havana (which I own again!), Fahrenheit, What about Adam or Azzaro pour homme. In the 00s again I wore everything that the local Douglas had in store for Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss, Baldessarini, Kenneth Cole and his friends. Fragrances that all I'm asking myself today are, "How did this happen?" And first of all, sweet fragrances are not really my cup of tea. Le Male, 1 Million & Co. You can't.

Then I discovered Dior Homme for myself. It must have been sometime in 2012. A sweet scent that I liked?! And what a one. A wealth of facets and a quality impression that I didn't know before. Probably no wonder, given the prehistory. This wonderful fresh powdery sweet lavender with a good portion of cocoa. And in the drydown mixed with the vetiver. A unique station wagon. Noble, elegant and suitable for all occasions. For me personally next to Terre d'Hèrmes with the best drydown of a perfume. In addition a very good durability and almost perfect Sillage. The whole thing packed in a pretty stylish bottle.

The eau de toilette. A scent of a master perfumer. And the best in the line. Still worth gold to Dior. The Cashcow, which was praiseworthily not milked at all, as other manufacturers might have done.

The price of his success is merely the frequency with which he is perceived outside with others. But even that will subside one day.

I hope I have awakened the skeptics of sweet-powdery smells the desire to test with this comment. That's really something special.

If we continue to run this community in 20 years, we will probably think back as longingly to this vintage as some people do today with scents like Zino or Antaeus. And we'll be able to say, "We were there."

Greetings

Your Profumorist
9.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Stairway to Heaven
It gave her the following story a few years ago: I'm taking my first unsafe step into a drugstore. The decision has been made: The time when deodorant was used as perfume is over, today I will
a little more mature. At this time the shop is empty, only saleswomen creeping through the aisles are already keeping an eye on me. Three more ladies at the back counter. I can tell from their looks: "Another boy who's perfuming himself just before a date." I'm approaching the ladies who are now
to a kind of girl walk together and face me like a bulwark, only pink chewing gum is missing. I've had to go through with this, I've wanted it this way. Full of courage and determined, I gather briefly and stutter stutter the important words that I had previously put together: "Excuse me, can you advise me?

Those words were like a bomb. It was the magic words that burst the Gordian knot. The cool girl gang with staring eyes turned into a horde of caring grandmothers. "Of course, what can it be, the young master?" Everything's going according to plan so far, now on the confessional: "I've never been to a perfumery before and don't have any scent, that's about to change." Two ladies feel obliged and swarm out. I go with one and stand in front of the shelf with the big brands. A second one comes in from the left and holds a million bucks under my nose. I move in: "Poah, this smells like a lollipop in cotton candy." Somewhat offended, she pulls back the test strip and then came with Dior Homme to save her expertise.

Then she used it to shoot sparrows with guns. The first time it smelled and intoxicated it pulls my head in the neck. It clicked. I can't hold myself back any longer and break out in euphoric laughter. "Wow... he knocks me out." The lady knew what she was doing because that's all it took. I had the test strip given to me and said goodbye somewhat prematurely completely intoxicated around the smell by the shop to carry. I couldn't defend myself, again and again my hand pulled to my nose. Then it was clear: This should be my first fragrance.

Although I am now a fragrance junkie, a small collection of my own and know of various fragrances by DH (Uomo, Givenchy Gentleman etc.) this first impression is still
the same. DH has something special that I can't put into words, it clicks and pulls me straight into the sky.
10.0 7.0 9.0 10.0/10

Dior Homme - My first olfactory love
I first smelled Dior Homme in 2006. I got to know the fragrance when I visited my cousin and in my uncle's bathroom stood this extremely aesthetic bottle. I was only 12 years old at that time and shortly afterwards, with my entire Christmas bonus, I bought a 100ml bottle.

After spraying on the scent I was initially overwhelmed. I've probably never smelled the scent of iris before. In contrast to today, DH seemed very woody, rough and masculine to me back then. I cannot judge to what extent this is due to the reformulation.

This fragrance has a very engaging aura, which inspires me again and again. Except for very hot days, I always find it fitting and pleasant. The slope is relatively strong at the beginning and decreases linearly from the beginning until it remains stable at a very close level after about 6 hours. The durability is very good; after 15 hours I still smell the leathery-soft base up close. Nothing sticks to this fragrance and yet it is very multi-faceted and develops over time.

Even though I think all the fragrances from the family (except DHS) are extremely good, DH is and remains clearly the father; the most mature. For me, Dior Homme is my first love of fragrance and one that I hope will continue for a long time to come: Thank you, Dior!
10.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Dior Homme
Groundbreaking release from Christian Dior. This is a review for the 2011 version of the original edt. Please watch my video to get my thoughts on this fragrance

5.0 6.0 7.0 8.5/10

Two figures
For me, "Dior Homme" is one of the great classics; a striking, original and well-balanced composed fragrance, strong in development (and "strong" at all), immediately recognizable, a time shaping, a whole number of years lasting fragrance. I like him.

His name's funny, isn't it? To not give this fragrance, which is located in the border area of men's fragrances, a sweet, heavy, flowery, gourmand, warm name like "Kuschelwuschel" in a certain way, but to give it the most classic, imaginable men's fragrance name "Homme" in a dry and laconic way, already shows a sense of humour (or chutzpah or both).

For me "Homme" has two inseparably connected faces or figures, which cannot be clearly separated according to phases, but are constantly present in the fragrance as a whole, sometimes more one, sometimes more the other, and also depending on where you focus your fragrance perception, and which I don't want to assign to individual ingredient groups (I think the totality of the ingredients is responsible for both faces)
The one figure of the fragrance is the very metrosexual, even feminine: sweet, flowery, soft, intense (the obtrusive scarring) chords that, despite a tendency to heaviness, ultimately appear so transparent, floating and flowing that they evoke in me the thought of light silk garments, even gauze (which doesn't seem to be typically "masculine").

The other shape, for which perhaps beside the leather and the vetiver also iris and cocoa (because pure cocoa, not the Nesquick- & Co - powder consisting mainly of sugar is by far rather bitter than sweet) are responsible, is tart, bitter and serious (at the border to severity) - and with it also in the common understanding "male". I could imagine that this note (or the interplay of the two) also has a very attractive effect on the opposite sex (and not only on women who are looking for a loving and gentle protector and breadwinner).

If we take a closer look at the chronological course and the three classical notes, then the top note of bergamot, sage and lavender is not, in my opinion, independently formed. Not even for half a minute, actually not at all, can a somehow independent citric lavender spice freshness be detected. The notes are there, but from the beginning only as a very delicate accessory at the edge of the main event.

It is precisely this main event, which lasts for several hours, that in my perception is constituted by the powerful and very exciting, back and forth swaying interplay of the two faces (or poles) mentioned above, whereby the first half hour or hour of the "feminine", rather sweet and flowing aspect is more strongly accentuated and is followed by the bitterly harsh, strict counterattack. After several interactions and accent changes, after about six hours a quite quiet and rather linear-stable basis appears on the scene, which I would describe as subtly sweet, but at the same time surprisingly fresh and stimulating (wherever that may come from).

The shelf life and the sillage of "Homme" are good. The bottle has a very good and fine spray system. Opinions may differ as to whether his appearance is visually pleasing. What they can't separate about is that the designer should write the sentence "form follows function" 1,000 times on the blackboard. Whenever you take it (the bottle, not the designer) in your hand and want to spray it with it, the corners and edges cut you unpleasantly and you can't get a clean grip on the thing.

"Dior Homme" is not one of my absolute favourites, but I think it is a great fragrance and, as already mentioned, a great classic. I don't know if you'll love him, but if you're interested in perfume and you're a man (and if you're not) you should have tested him at least once.
8.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Still Charming
Scentrack: Francis Lai- A Man And a Woman (instrumental)

Even after reformulation Dior Homme still possesses its edge. Some of first formulation charm is lost; the iris-dry fruit-ambery nuances are gone and some weight is lost. The reformulated version is slightly thinner, more cleaner and masculine. Strong Earl Grey bergamot, clean aromatic lavender, powdery iris and herbal sage notes in opening. The mid and base are full of cacao bean, amber and specific chocolate-like sexy undertone. Demachy's version is more masculine, with better performances on my skin. I still prefer the dry fruit aquarelle of the original, but can't complain about newer version. It's still so charming, sexy and nouvelle. A fragrance of the decade.

Rating: 9/10
8.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

AsulynS
Dior for all and for good!
This version of Dior Homme EDT is simple with a positive effect on the environment. Elegant, masculine and sweeping compliments. The iris and leather together show a winning combination in this formula and the cocoa stimulates the senses. The scent reveals the modern man, the man who wants to smell powdery, leathery and sweetness.
Combination: 8 (4to10)
Highly recommended to try.
Blind to buy will not disappoint at all.
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Dior Homme - 2011 version
Dior Homme is wonderful.

Elegant and classy, this fragrance is very unique and has a great lasting power, sillage and projection.

Iris and cocoa are the main players here.

Lots of powdery thats very comforting to wear. Big thumbs up!

Updated January 2014
8.0/10

Ysbrand
Le plus beau du quartier
I regard to the way perfume is classified and described by marketing as masculine or femenine as a complete anachronism. I mean, i cannot escape from it myself, to find some fragances ladylike or butch, after so many years of fragances marketed as the epithome of femininity or masculinity... but i think a lot of people are missing great olfactive experience due to this 50s-sort-of-mentality prejudice. Not me certainly. I read a review ..."girly, pretty, feminine" and i think, i will be the judge of that. Is like there´s food for men or food for women. Madness.

Said that, Dior Homme could be regarded as more femenine than other men´s fragances, because it is really beautiful and gracious, if this is an exclusive patrimony of the ladies. Like when you say a man is as pretty as a girl, it wouldnt work the other way; and a girl pretty like a man probably is not very good looking... you know, clichés- Dior Homme is pretty like a girl.

I think this perfume is quite simple, and i would describe it basically as an iris-amber fragance, but very well composed. Specially, the first couple hours, maybe less, are wonderful, then is only pleasant but doesnt blow me away so much.

The aromatic freshness of the lavender is noticeable at the very start, in combination with a bitter, clean iris, that still has a carrot-like quality, makes the opening of Dior Homme extremely refined, discreetly opulent, like an expensive fabric, the color might be plain, but the texture is wonderful and durable... It is very well balanced and unusual, without being extravagant. Almost floral. Keeps me interested all the time.

Then it changes, the freshly washed roots fade and the iris turns more the powdery, make-up type of iris. Notes of amber warm up and sweeten the iris. Gets less mysterious, but feels easy and confortable and is still sophisticated. Do I smell vanilla?

Lasting power is not groundbreaking, it turns more shadowy, but never really dark (as the cocoa, patchouly and vetiver notes would make one expect) The drydown is definitely the most conventional part of it. Pleasant, not crazy about it.

I would absolutely wear it if someone gives me a bottle, but it is not at the top of my shoplist. If considering to buy it for someone else, it is riskless, but it wont look safe.

Trucklady 137 days ago
This explains why I volunteered to sharpen all the pencils at the end of a school week. Woody iris divinity!
DavidBraz 13 months ago
If I could just pick one for the rest of my live, probably it would be this. So elegant and versatile. Fits well on a modern and young man.
PMRP12 3 years ago
Beautiful composition that evokes elegance and sophistication. Modern metro masculinity defined. Classic, versatile, signature worthy.+1

by ChopIsland
by Pistazieneis
by Pistazieneis
by Bejanoir
by Bejanoir
Dior Homme - Lipstick Jungle zum Aufsprühen :)
by Taka
by Nyze29
by NiFu93
by NiFu93
by Parfummaster
Ich wollte Fahrenheit Parfum, meine Frau Dior Homme. Ich habe meine Frau gehört. ;)
by TomDuft