Dior Homme Cologne (2013)

Version from 2013
Dior Homme Cologne (2013) by Dior / Christian Dior

Dior Homme Cologne (2013) is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for men and was released in 2013. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesCalabrian bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesMoroccan grapefruit blossom
Base Notes Base NotesWhite musk

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 19.08.2019

The face of the advertising campaign is actor Robert Pattinson.

9.0 6.0 5.0 8.5/10

comes time, comes favor
Too much I let myself be carried away and influenced by all the youtubern, who sang this fragrance all the time only praise hymns and presented it as THE summer fragrance. He can't be bad. Didn't I? Nö I thought to myself and ordered it simply once blindly. It wasn't exactly affordable for a cologne, after all we're talking about Dior here. And I call myself my own, but I immediately picked up the 125ml bottle - on the one hand because I thought a cologne wasn't so productive anyway and on the other hand because I simply liked the large, higher bottle much better than the smaller 75ml.

Very well, then. Arrived, unpacked, smelled. Mhh... yes citric. Very citric, light and fresh. I can understand the often used association to an ice-cold, sparkling lemon spritzer. But... that's it...?
Hm, let's wait and see if the fragrance becomes even more exciting or if it shows other nouances of itself.
Nope, nothing. Remains very linear and what you get as top note is also almost 1:1 what you get in the "drydown", if you can call it that with this fragrance.
Don't get me wrong, I didn't think he was bad at all. Just simple. Simple. Too little to surprise me in any way. Simply nothing special.
All the more I found it a pity that I immediately took the 125ml variant and had denounced him therefore also immediately after some days possession in the Souk.

After having learned from many scents that the first impression doesn't always set the standard for the overall impression and that you have to learn to love some scents first, I often sniffed at them in passing and wore them even on some scorchingly hot summer days. The first compliments were not long in coming and I also found more and more pleasure in the fragrance.

I don't want to call it THE summer fragrance par excellence, but amazingly, when I remember it that way, it was my most widely used perfume this summer. It's a dumb reach. He always leaves. You can wear it casually with a jeans & tshirt, you can wear it when you go out with swimming shorts & flipflop, but I can also smell it on a white shirt.
Yes, it's a cologne and you can't imagine the best shelf life/sillage, but that's what makes it interesting at higher temperatures - if it's really scorching hot and nothing else works, it can really score.
I can't confirm that the 2013 Cologne has nothing more to do with its predecessor, no longer carries any Dior Homme DNA, and that this Flanker could basically be a completely independent perfume by Dior, as many here describe it, because I never smelled the old version.
Personally I would probably find it less tragic, because if he had the present iris and the powder, he would rather quit for me in high summer.

Well, a good 1/4 of my bottle has been emptied and the bottle was also moving out of the souk - this will definitely be a heavy hitter again next summer. Meanwhile it is exactly this simplicity, this simplicity, which disturbed me in the beginning - Exactly this is what I appreciate and love now.
Love just takes time.
8.0 6.0 6.0 7.0/10

Easy! Elegant! Lemon/bergamot that does not last long :(
The flacon is quite simple, but can still convince me with its detailed elegance! For example, the Christian Dior logo on the sprayer and bottle, as well as the Dior engraving with the blue lynette at the bottom of the spray head are really nice details.

Fragrance
But now to the most important: The scent itself!
Admittedly, he once convinced me to buy, but now I have to say that my enthusiasm is limited, which doesn't mean that Dior Homme cologne is a bad fragrance. The opening, which also convinced me to buy, consists for me mainly of a fragrance note: lemon! It is light, in the sense that it is not a heavy, but a fresh citric scent, but still potent, to the extent that one perceives the lemon chord quite clearly.
Behind this initial scent, which reminds me personally, strongly of freshly cut lemon, there is probably one thing hidden: bergamot! Unfortunately, it is also the bergamot note that makes the fragrance powdery and dry over time. That's all that's happening here. Definitely not worth buying for me, but not a bad smell either. The citric opening is fantastic, but in my opinion the still citric, bergamot shaped course is not pleasant.

Durability/Sillage
For a fresh fragrance average. However, I would have expected a little more from a Dior.

Conclusion
In the end it is more of a personal disappointment than an enrichment, but still not a bad scent.
For people who like the scent of lemons and a very strong dry bergamot note (which leads me personally almost to headaches), a good choice im
Summer!
9.0 5.0 6.0 10.0/10

Three points of light
Replicant scent. That's what the future smells like. Sterile, synthetic, nature reanimates as a distantly remembered image. Newly programmed and modeled to rush through time and space. Stop for a moment, try to remember what was once light and freshness. In a world without seasons.
Sun. As it is reflected in the cold, clear water. Your face in digital water. You're beautiful, young and strong. In the background the sound of Codex Empire. Three. Points. Of. Light.

This smell is better than the miserable attempt to imitate other fragrances that have not been around for a long time. Greenhouse blues. Greenhouse Romance. In the dust and darkness of a threatening big city backdrop. Minimalizing to survive. A triumvirate of memories: citric freshness on floral soft musk. Far away from the animal of old days. De-cored and essentially prepared. For an eternal day, because you're always available. Always clear and reasonable. Digitally networked and always functional.

Just a minimal spark of love and affection in the DNA of a fresh scent matrix. Almost imperceptibly smuggled in by rebels fighting for old programs and technologies...in the vague hope of decelerating the world on its course into hysteria and chaos. Memory fragments, like small microbugs in the flickering of this composition of radiantly pure freshness and blooming fantasy. An error in the matrix. A quick look into the beautiful eyes of a girl who rushes past you in a subway. A short sight of delight before you have to rush on through the city. From A to B.

The scent has nothing in common with its origin. But he defines a new image of the modern man similar to his origin. Reduced, freed from the ballast of a dying everyday life and relieved of an old, antique understanding of roles. No leather, no heavy wood or massive resin to create the appearance of dominance that no longer exists in this world. The Matrix has long since taken control of all our movements and emotions. Our digital heart beats only as long as the big machine allows it. No fragrance could go better with it than this masterpiece of modern fragrances. No fragrance is more airy and clearer on the skin than this prototype of an olfactory future.

8.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

N471v3
More than just a cologne
Ladies and gentlemen, come closer! This Cologne does more than honour to its name.

There are so many colognes, light, fresh fragrances that pride themselves on being sparkling and summery, and above all on giving a pleasant feeling at high temperatures. What not so many of them can do, however, is to be special and special at the same time, and perhaps also to offer good performance.

This one, however, already.

Dior Homme Cologne smells like the most beautiful lemon you can imagine. It brings back memories of the taste but also smell in me when you add lemon to the black tea in the morning. It has something so refreshing, but at the same time relaxing...
But it's not just the fresh lemon, but also a slightly floral note, but I think above all the musk in the base, which gives the cologne a lot of depth. This makes it more spatial, more three-dimensional, if you will.
I can understand that many people don't like the fragrance as much as I do in the beginning, because you have smelled citrus fruits so often.
Aaabut for me it's like I've smelled so many colognes that are only ethereal, alcoholic and transparent,- have no foundation, you know what I mean? Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne, for example, is something like that for me. Quite similar, but without the "certain something".

When I smelled DHC, on the other hand, it had happened to me immediately. It was one of those pafums where I immediately knew I had to buy it. I just think DHC is wonderful. It is also through this special composition such a good mood brightener, just a little sunshine.

If someone asked me what perfumes a man should have in his collection, it would be very clear.
Although it is always portable, I find it especially suitable for the following occasions:
Brunches, job interviews, family celebrations, spring, Easter, first meeting of the parents-in-law, etc usf.

You see, it's just a happy fragrance.

But in order to define it a little, I have to say that I would not want to wear it every day. You just have to feel a little bit like it, you don't always want that "easy living" feeling either.

So I don't find him, although he's actually always walking, a real signature scent. A&F Fierce, on the other hand, if I had to take a real Cologne as a comparison now, is clearly possible as a daily companion, and has a bit more identity.
Dior Homme Cologne is more a statement to give the day a little face, to underline an attitude towards life. And that makes it more than just a cologne.

By the way, I think the performance is really good and pleasant for a fresh Cologne, strong, but not too strong, so that you can calmly achieve an even wetting of the body with a few sprayers. :)
9.0 6.0 6.0 8.5/10

Carlitos01
"Dior Homme Cologne 2013" versus "Zara From Paris to New York" - read one review, learn about two fragrances!
Both Dior Homme Cologne 2013 and Zara "From Paris to New York" have been a positive surprise to me.
The citrusy-fresh Dior fragrance broke with the past, proposing a cologne based on bergamot, grapefruit and a soft white musk. The previous version (2007) was a far more complex powdery-fresh scent with a different set of notes and blending. Its main signature was the Iris strong note also present in Dior Homme EDTs and EDPs. The 2013 Dior cologne version has a totally different set of notes and evolutive blending and I like the new version better. The major breakthrough of this cologne version is the performance achieved with a super fresh bergamot in the opening, a strong grapefruit blossom in the heart, signing the fragrance DNA, and the more delicate sensuality of white musk in the base.I even suspect that this concentration may lean towards an EDT strength for such a longevity and sillage with citrus notes.
Zara achieves a similar scent and performance (actually a little better performance) with an EDP concentration, the notes of zesty lemon in the opening, well paired by spicy sharp ginger in the heart, and an expectable strong base woody note using a spicy resinous cedar, very well blended with the ginger note.
The final output for both fragrances are similar although achieved with different methods.
The price per ml is more expensive in the Dior fragrance, as expected, by a 2.5 ratio.
Both fragrances are more unisex than masculine, but women usually consider this type of scent as clean, fresh and sexy on a man.
Owning both fragrances, I may opine that my user experience is very similar with both fragrances. Dior Homme Cologne 2013 has a better presentation and a more fashionable name. while Zara has a better value for money.
There are other offers that may be considered due the the similar scent and behaviour, although with an even wider price range. You may consider Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Mercedes Benz Cologne and Jimmy Choo Ice as alternatives to Homme Cologne and From Paris to New York.
Let's see how Dior and Zara compare with each other through scoring:

_____________________Dior_________Zara__________________________________________________
Scent opening............8.5.................7.5 (Dior cool bergamot wins)
Scent Dry Down.........7.5.................8.0 (Zara stronger cedar beats Dior musk)
Longevity (h) ..............6.5.................7.5 (Dior: 6 hours; Zara: 7 hours; With 3 sprays)
Sillage (ft)....................7.5.................7.0 (Dior: 5 ft /2 h projection; Zara: 4~5 ft /2.0 h)
Versatility....................8.5.................8.5 (above average for fresh fragrances)
Usability......................9.0.................9.0 (Literally everywhere except cold outdoors)
Compliments..............9.0.................9.0 (Both scents are compliment magnets)
Uniqueness.................8.0.................7.5 (Lot's of freshies out there. Dior preceds Zara)
Quality.........................9.0.................8.0 (Dior synth. musk / Zara synth. lemon + ginger)
Presentation...............9.0.................8.0 (a matter of opinion)
Price.............................7.5.................9.5 (Dior: €70 / 200 ml on sale; Zara: €20 / 120 ml)

- Average:................8.18/10.0.........8.14/10.0
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on this DIOR - ZARA match:
Both fragrances are very good and provide a similar satisfaction. Dior beat Zara marginaly probably because the Dior flask was bought on sale.
Recommended? I recommend both fragrances. The fashionable name or the price will make you decide for either one.
Blind buy worthy? Yes for Zara and just a maybe for Dior depending on your budget.

Music: Kool & The Gang - "Fresh"
9.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

Summer resort
Citric-elegant freshness for the hot days, absolutely suitable for everyday use, you look clean and competent. The fragrance, however, does not seduce, to dominate a situation is also another perfume to prefer
7.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

The cool blue bergamot
Doesn't have anything to do with Dior Homme. This fragrance is monothematic and slim, bergamot, bergamot, bergamot. Years ago, a saleswoman with a very understanding nose kept it under my nose when I was looking for bergamot-heavy scents (not just top notes). I didn't forget it for me then, AugustA, but put it aside, because there are some beautiful bergamots that are officially considered unisex... Times change. Ladies or gentlemen department interests me today only conditionally.
Now the bottling is here, at the end of this hot summer and this top note knocks me over again. If you just take it as Soliflor, then it's a tangy, elegant Bergamot note flanked by Grapefriut, with a tiresome perseverance and no frills. But cool, silky, slightly flowery, and the sight of light blue water in the sun comes to mind. It's certainly something for hot, hotter, hottest or when the need for freshness simply doesn't allow anything else. For men and women, something androgynous, makes itself splendid on the skin and the musk responsible for it is not too detergent-clean and lasts fresh and citric, slightly woody. So 3 to 4 hours - lightness, joie de vivre, I just feel like at the briefing for the copywriter. Grapefruit blossom suits me, even if I don't know it, because it's not a grapefruit that surrounds, buzzes around, accompanies the spritzing fine bergamot for hours. I see here white flowers with an intense grapefruit aroma against a bright blue sky next to green begamot fruits. So: pure enthusiasm for bergamot. Cool, blue and clear!
10.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

The Facebook Cologne
There is the saying "Standing with both feet in life", but what does it mean to me? I spend most of my time working, a little less sleeping and resting and unfortunately even less with social activities. For me it is still important to use "that" and "that" correctly when writing and I don't use Facebook or Instagramm. Do I have both feet on the ground or not?

As a perfumer I also feel more attracted to traditional houses like Guerlain and Caron than to Escentric Molecules and Tom Ford. It is not enough for me to wear a fragrance that I only like, no, it must also have an effect with me when worn; this can be memories, fantasies or sometimes just mixed feelings, which I try to bundle in their pendulum movement between agreement and rejection to a definite judgement.

And then there's Dior Homme Cologne, who doesn't fit at all with what I've just written. No memories, no fantasies, no mixed feelings. Just one of the nicest minimalist flacons I've ever seen. Already the entire appearance in the transparent, light blue bottle refreshes before you even spray a drop of the contents onto the skin
And the resulting expectation of a freshness that will stand the test of time in summer temperatures is not disappointed either. DHC does not offer a guerlinade, nor does it offer the typical Colognes interplay of citric notes. But it wraps you in a cloud of finest retorts - lemon. Not the juicy freshness of ripe lemons, but the coolness of a citrus fruit created in the laboratory sets the tone. At the same time, a fluffiness develops which prevents the retort lemon from appearing too slicing or too acidic. This fluffiness is caused by the skilful use of white musk, which is necessary as a fixation to give the citric aroma shelf life. The fragrance itself has no fragrance development, but rather a shift of emphasis. In the beginning the citrus is emphasized and is accompanied by the fluffiness of the musk, while after a few hours the fluffy comes to the fore, but the lemon remains well perceptible. At no time does DHC drift into powder or get a lipstick effect. If you apply DHC GROSSZUEGIG, and you can do that without hesitation, since it is not a room-filling fragrance, you can still perceive it after 7 hours well on the skin.

DHC is a perfectly made retort - summer fragrance that refreshes, is not intrusive and lasts very long. Still, I don't have it in my collection anymore. Today I generously applied the fragrance one last time and the bottle was used up. Afterwards I went to the cinema and while watching the latest Soderbergh film, I noticed this fluffy citrus note full of comfort.

Of course I have already bought a worthy successor for DHC. This time I chose a more classic Cologne, one that besides smelling good, also tells stories and evokes pictures, Granville. At least I stayed true to Dior.

DHC is a great fragrance, has a great packaging and is for me a product of our time - Facebook and Instagramm. It's not enough for me in the long run. But whether I "stand with both feet in the life" because of that, I still don't know.
10.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Fresh and Elegant.
The bottle designs says it all, it is cold cologne that you can wear in summer.

It is musky/citrusy, the immediate pleasure of citrus freshness and the refined elegance of a trail of crisp musk.

Performance is almost average so don't get it when it is overpriced, score yourself one when you find the price is suitable for "Cologne"
8.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

Bergamot first and foremost
This is such a simple, straightforward scent! I can only describe it as cool or frosty. Only three notes are listed and it seems they brought out the lightest, coolest and/or airy aspect of each one.

People here and on another site, within their reviews, detect and mention direct lemon/lime notes, I don't. I get a great lite citrus blossom/tree aroma that only alludes towards citric and not in your face fruit, peel or zest.

I have worn this on hot, humid days when I get the feeling anything else would feel heavy or cloying after a while. This one though cuts through the thick humid days to make you feel relaxed and confident in your choice of fragrance.

This is one of those scents where you go in knowing it might not last long but you still purchase it because it promises you a great aroma while it lasts.

The best way to remedy this is to overspray on clothing when applying at the start off the day.
6.0 6.0 5.0 7.5/10

Lovely & Fresh...
This is a very fresh and clean scent. It is fresh and clean in a natural smelling way (not like Mugler Cologne, as much as I love that fragrance). Yes, this is like the "niche" version of Mugler Cologne. I get lemon and lime, the grapefruit blossom, maybe even a hint of faint neroli, then vetiver and clean white musk. It's a very "white and clean" fragrance. I can't fault it within reason. It's one I would happily purchase and wear again. A really lovely scent which is beautiful, natural, and which really won't offend anybody. I believe it is a pleasing and enticing gem which all clean, professional men should try. Lovely great stuff.

Refreshingly sexy
A wonderful fresh cologne which got a truly refreshing scent without being cloying , overpowering and similar to a thousands of so called fresh aquatic cheapo synthetics.

DHC is all about Citrus( Bergamot) and musk , I get the Orange peel and Neroli hints besides some flowery notes which might be wrong but whatever it is , really a treat to wear in hot and humid climate. Another Underrated one.
Simply Awesome.
5.0 2.5 5.0 4.0/10

A generic and predictable Cologne for the ordinary Man
Pros: Nice bottle, fresh bergamotte dominates 1 hour.

Cons: way to expensiv. For me this one is a more ordinary Cologne that you can find much cheaper on other several brands (ACQUA cologne Vetyver & Bergamot by 4711). Musky drydown is a love or hate experience as it smells more earthy.
Sillage is poor and longevity OKAY.

I think bergamotto di calabria by acqua di parma does a much better job in that category. Thierry Mugler Cologne is a very nice pick too, but more flowery and feminin. Compare it yourself to see what fits you. Annick Goutal Colognes do way better as well.

overall average 40% I give. Dior Homme Cologne with Iris was way way better DIOR!
7.5 5.0 5.0 7.5/10

Crippled by Wear Performance Issues
Bottom Line:
The 98lb weakling of the vaunted Dior Homme line. If interested in this one, find the pre-2013 version instead, which is superb. You could honestly stop here in this review, unless you’re just morbidly curious, as that’s pretty much everything you need to know.

Scent:
A generally pleasant, but noticeably artificial-smelling Lemon Pledge. That’s actually OK as I find lemons nice, but I don’t get anything else. If the Grapefruit Blossom or Musk accords really are in there, this scent doesn’t last long enough to showcase them.

The aroma is non-offensive, and simplistic, for better or worse.

Wear Performance:
This is the major deal-breaker, and the extremely poor wear performance skews the other measures to the negative.

The opening is the highlight, and not entirely bad actually. But sniff it quickly directly from your wrist if you want to enjoy your investment. That’s about all you’ll get, as the longevity is literally about 30 minutes, at least for me on repeated wearings. Based on others’ feedback, this appears to be the common experience.

Sillage is much the same, mild for the length of the opening, but it flashes off and goes away entirely in a few moments; Not becomes a skin scent, but dies, as in nada.

Wear Scenarios:
It’s hard to take the wear scenarios very seriously for this one, but in the interest of staying with my review format:
Spritz on immediately after a shower, or right out of bed in the morning, for a quick burst of lemony-freshness.

Post-gym scent.

Around-the-house wear while doing errands, re-spray liberally as needed.

Casual day-wear only, the happy bright lemons are fitting for warm weather and sunshine.

It’s not the best choice for night-time wear outside the house, or for anything else where the fragrance needs to last any non-trivial length of time, without re-spraying.

Work wear is out of the question, due to longevity issues.

Bathroom spray. Yes, really.

Other Notes:
Wow. What happened with this one, Dior? How did this one become the choice to supersede the very good previous formulation of Dior Homme Cologne? Honestly, it would’ve been better to have just killed the product, and let it be remembered fondly.

I’ve only experienced one other fragrance that suffers from the debilitating performance issues of this iteration of Dior Homme Cologne, and that’d be Clinique Happy for Men. It also happens to be a citrus cologne. They both have a promising aroma, which lasts literally minutes, and then rapidly trail off to nothing. That leads me to judge both of them “fail”, and a poor investment of funds.

There are other citrus-focused colognes that are fantastic and should be considered instead, where performance at least comes in at a mediocre level: Atelier Orange Sanguine comes to mind as being one of the better ones.

It pains me to pan a member of the Dior Homme line, which I find end-to-end to be probably the best overall men’s offering, inclusive of Dior Homme, DHI, Dior Homme Sport and even the original previous version Dior Homme Cologne (which was excellent by the way, and should be sought out instead of the 2013 formulation). Heck, I even have high hopes for the new Dior Homme Eau, based on early sniffs.

The bar is set so high by the Dior Homme line that it would be understandable for a new sibling to not “measure up”, but Dior Homme Cologne (2013) has to be judged a failure by almost any measure I can respect. I just have to write this off as an aberration, and hope this isn’t the future direction of this line.

AmberScent 5 days ago
Citrusy from top to bottom. A flanker far from the others Dior Homme. A bit vulgar and miles away from the previous EDC edition.+2
KingPin 13 days ago
Bergamot bomb opening, pleasant musk following. Very similar to Atelier Cologne’s Bergamot Soleil, but softer and nicer dry down.+1
JoaoMartins 7 months ago
Mercedes Benz Cologne got me covered for a fraction of the price. Still a good scent
Carlitos01 8 months ago
The 2013 Dior Homme Cologne version has different notes and blending. I like the new version better. I prefer the citrus DNA over Iris.+4
9.0
Elysium 24 months ago
A real compliment-getter, despite its very simple formula. At the end of the day I got asked what cologne I was wearing, so lovely and nice!+2

My Signature :)