Dior Homme Intense (2011)

Version from 2011
Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior / Christian Dior
Dior Homme Intense (2011) (Dior / Christian Dior)
Dior Homme Intense (2011) (Dior / Christian Dior)

Dior Homme Intense (2011) is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for men and was released in 2011. The scent is powdery-sweet. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesTuscan iris absolute
Heart Notes Heart NotesEcuadorian ambrette seed
Base Notes Base NotesVirginia cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 12.12.2018

It's autumn, hooray!
True story: A few years ago, at the beginning of my passion for perfume, I wore Dior Homme Intense for the first time. That day I went to Prague with my girlfriend. It was in September, and the days began to get cooler. As refreshment for the trip we got some more chairs from the baker at the station. We were about to pay, and the salesgirl said, "One of you smells damn good!" Ha, I knew who that was! :)

Since then, this fragrance has been the quintessence of autumn for me, and I also rang in autumn 2018 with it last week. When I wear it, I just feel at home. This iris in the top note is unbelievable. You have to like Iris and her qualities, otherwise you won't get warm with DHI. "Men's powder" is my short form for it, even if in my opinion this fragrance is completely unisex. The longer you wear the scent (and it lasts at least eight hours with me), the more a vanilla sweetness comes through, but it never gets sticky. The fragrance develops a creamy enamel that caresses the wearer all day long. The Sillage is obviously not to be despised, see above.

Meanwhile I also own Dio Homme EdT and Le Parfum and I am convinced that this is one of the great modern classics. Each of these releases has its justification - for example, you can wear the EdT during the day and let the perfume follow in the evening without any problems. But Dior Homme Intense will always have a special place in my heart.

And, by the way, always remind me of the old lady Prague. Just like she also has this scent claws.
Bottle 9.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Then that's the way it is!
Oh dear, does someone have to add his mustard to the DHI? Are eleven and one comments not enough??
No! No! I won't spare you. Every opinion counts, whether good or not. And they are also very far apart with this smell here.
But that's the way it is.

Here one criticizes that one would smell with the smell after make-up table and everything what one can find so on it. Lipstick, powder can, etc. Or even better, after a travesty show or grandma's cardboard box with the old scarves in it.
Others find this powdery-sweet iris note attractive and beautiful.
Well then, that's the way it is.

Also it is criticized that this likewise very clear cocoa liqueur note smells too sweet and sticky and that one should not smell please after food and luxury foods.
Others like that very much and find fragrances with cocoa, liqueur, biscuit or coffee notes wonderful.
That's the way it is.

It is complained that DHI was not seriously created as a men's fragrance, the whole package seems far too feminine and unmanly. There the male would almost be caricatured.
Others think that this is so wonderfully masculine and attractive.
Well then, that's the way it is.

For my nose, Dior Homme Intense is a fragrance at a high level, in terms of fragrance itself, charisma, projection, durability. Some other modern waters can cut off a thick slice of it. Fished by one or two samples that once fell into my hands, I wanted to have this scent.
I have never before sniffed such a clearly exposed iris in any other men's fragrance, that was unusual and new for me. In addition this almost beguiling cocoa-liqueur-soaked note and a little bit of cedar wood in the very background increased the enthusiasm even more.
It didn't help, so I had to buy a 100 ml bottle (50 ml weren't there anyway) and I never regretted the purchase.
After a good 3 years of happy carrying, the enthusiasm for DHI is still the same. I like to take him to work from time to time, although he is almost too good for everyday life. Maybe it's better to use the "normal" Dior Homme. But on nice occasions in the evening he makes himself quite outstanding. Besides, he's not running out of breath right now.
As far as mass distribution is concerned, I can't say much about that. I am the only one in my circle of acquaintances who owns it. However, it is not so important to me how widespread a fragrance is. I do not let myself be influenced by arguments like "but everybody wears it anyway, you can smell it everywhere etc." and decide for myself what I like or dislike.
Right, that's the way it is.

Anyone who likes the rather unusual combination with lots of iris loves the fragrance and wears it with pleasure. It doesn't matter if it's him or you. Who feels rather deterred with these powdery-sweet, yes already gourmandig seeming smells, leaves the fingers of it.
But I'm not saying anything new, he's been around a while. And I hope that there will be DHi for a long time to come.
I hope I didn't fall on anyone's alarm clock with my thoughts about this fragrance.
But that's the way it is :-)

Enjoy the fragrance!
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
After 3 years of use...
...I think DHI is by far one of the best fragrances for men. I don't want to write much about the performance here because it is really a smooth 10 value. The iris/vetiver note over the entire period is already a force that is second to none. Days later a silent companion who never seems too pushy.
YSL or Valentino have come close with their versions but I wouldn't use them as replacements.

From autumn to spring DHI is perfect!

I can understand that many are now annoyed by the DHI. The powdery note is mMn only wearable in the evening and for colder days. During the day I also don't like it high-dosed but in the evening I like it even more. 1 sprayer is already enough at 3+, one could paralyze the olfactory perception.

The Dior with the scent overly advertises and so DHI with time in the mainstream landed is a pity.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
I'm crazy about that smell.
Oh this fragrance, I always thought only my husband carries this fragrance ^^ okay probably a little naive but I am actually amazed that he is a little bit more mainstream than I actually thought. But well one learns yes in addition and I seem to have therefore a super taste *kicher*

This fragrance means so much to me, it means more to me than any other perfume, I love it when it is sprayed on, I love its great Sillage and I would love to walk behind my treasure rather than next to it, the course of the fragrance is just so grandiose, I love the sweetness and the powdery and whenever the fragrance blows into my nose, I think boh what a beautiful fragrance. He's got something very special for me To be honest, I am also a bit addicted to the scent ;-) . It is so wonderfully body-hugging and the durability wow so if we fall asleep together in the evening, so the man and me or also the smell and me, I often say to him in the evening still, ohhh you smell so good, fall asleep with this smell in the nose is like a dream. I think I also like the fragrance the most in the evening when it has worn off or not, oh I couldn't decide at all. He's soooooo perfect all day long !

Even if I throw the laundry into the washing machine 2 days later Mister Dior still sticks to the t-shirts and mostly I sniff at the collar ;-)

For me it is really the most beautiful fragrance of all, a fragrance that has accompanied me in this relationship for so long and I love both sooooo much. The man and his scent. I could never imagine it without the Dior ;-) . I hope it will be produced for a long time, if someone should notice that the production will be stopped, please send me a message. Then I have to bunker ;-).

Whenever he presents me with new fragrances, then I find them great and yes there are really other beautiful fragrances and he may also wear them but this Dior here, which unites our love.

My personal fragrance...
Heavily in love with the man , then severely in love with his perfume = perfection

I hope you don't find this too gooey ...

But do you also have a perfume that triggers something like this with you?

Love greetings
Scarlet, these texts with hearts are in the eyewriting
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Baby, give me more of what you call love...
I'm not usually a fan of hip-hop or rap. Especially not German hip-hop. It shakes me more. Bausa's hit is an exception here. Melodic and not at all clumsy, rather almost subtle and very relaxed. I feel the same way with many sweet and gourmand scents. Often too clumsy-sweet, too "in your face", too militant cotton candy or fruit-heavy. DHI is an exception. In the conglomeration of today's almost diabetic sugar plörren one could almost call him a "One Hit Wonder". Sensational combination of powdery, liqueur-like and spicy scents. Sweet, but in an elegant and subtle way. Not as clumsy as I think. That's funny. Normally I like the classics so much more. Herb-spicy and masculine dinosaurs that are no longer produced.
So where does the love for DHI come from? Because he helps me forget what was after disappointing scent experiments in the cold season? Because he stays up with me till the next morning? Because I keep parking my heart with him? I don't know for sure. Maybe it's all just fake love. But even if it's not love, I just love it.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.5/10
The Expensive Insecurity Healer
I like this perfume. I do not love it but I like to use it from time to time. My wife seems not to care much about it, as she never differentiates my scent with a compliment when I wear it. I do think she also accuses an olfactory fatigue with this perfume. That's only natural. I also forget to compliment her when she uses Eau du Soir, the perfume she likes the most (and wears the most).
I use DHI more at work and in casual occasions, than in clubbing or formal situations. The reason is obvious. In formal happenings and in the club, half the men wear a strong Iris scent. I hate to be "another guy with the same scent". This obviously is a good inside information about Dior sales but also on its look-a-like fragrance designers. Between Dior and its followers I count at least 14 fragrances with more or less the same type of musky iris scent as DHI, and sometimes with the same or better performance. I am convinced that the Valentino fragrances have an edge over Dior Homme equivalent fragrances.
Insecure men tend to use Dior Homme or Bleu de Chanel as a safe choice for any faultless occasion. It's just like swallowing a pill to overcome that insecurity. That does not always work as a single man wearing Spice Bomb, Man in Black, Ultra Male or Tobacco Vanille, will stand out in a group of 10 Dior wearers in any club of the world, or dancing Sinatra songs in a fancy casino dinner party. Dior Homme Intense really lost its uniqueness. François Demachy is not to blame as he designed lot's of unique fragrances like the best Poison (Midnight Poison), Ungaro III (tottaly underrated fragrance), Antaeus (a masterpice and the best Dior for me), Eau Sauvage (the 2nd best Dior for me and one of the best citrus scent available in the market together with Rochas Man and Guerlain's Eau de Cologne du Coq), and many others.
My advice - try to use it in casual occasions and then you will surprise the Million, Sauvage, Dylan Blue and London wearers.
As for the fragrance itself, it's a very well blended juice, with top quality ingredients, not complex, not cloying, with good performance and an assuring brand name behind it.
Lavender establishes an entry ambiance for a sweet boozy pear, and for the strong iris and ambrette (musky scent) to settle a dominance that will endure till the dry down. The woody base notes add some desired masculinity to the global scent and grant a long dry down, still suggesting some nuances of the musky iris and the sweetness of the boozy pear.

Let's work out the math for Dior Homme Intense:
Scent opening: 9.0 (my judgement)
Scent dry down: 9.0 (my judgement)
Longevity: 8.5 (above average for a powdery floral fragrance)
Sillage: 8.0 (same as longevity)
Uniqueness: 5.0 (very well designed and blended, but really not a lot different from other 5 Dior fragrances, 3 Valentinos, 1 Zara, 1 Tom Ford, 1 Carolina Herrera, and half a dozen more),
Wearability: 8.5 (Winter, Autumn and Spring - Night and Day)
Versatility: 9.0 (a "yes" to socializing, events, restaurants, and office type of situations; it's a top fragrance in what regards clubbing, night out, bar with friends, dates and "close encounters")
Quality: 10.0 (my judgement; of course it does not smell cheap or synthetic)
Presentation: 9.0 (Good looking bottle but not unique design, solid thick glass, efective card box protection; very good sprayer; very handy cap and locking design)
Price: 7.5 (100 ml tester for €80.00 plus taxes and shipping it's not cheap even assuming that this is a Dior fragrance)

Overall rating for this fragrance: 8.35/10.00
I do recommend it but I also suggest its owners to be a bit more creative and not use it always/only in formal events or clubbing.
Dang!
Something else!
Such a breath of fresh air in a world filled with citruses and ouds. A powdery-floral for men. Sigh. Worth all the hype, for me. Dang!

But something I must mention is the reformulation thing. I normally don't buy too much into it but in this case it was very strange. I first had a 2015 bottle which had a very pronounced cocao and ambrette seed accord. The iris and leather were present but very subtle. It was glorious. After I ran out of that one I recently bought a 2014 bottle. Extremely different. The cocao and ambrette arrives much later in the drydown and is much softer here. The main players are iris and leather. Thick, waxy orris root, nutty ambrette almost like hazelnut and suede. With a deep musky, woody base, not generic ISO E super type wood.

But either way I totally like them. I preferred the 2015 version a little more probably. Performance wise these are all quite something. Perfect projection and sillage with outstanding longevity. Definitely try if it intrigues you.

9/10
L'Instant de Dior Homme
A heavier sweeter Dior Homme with much more amber and a lot less interest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
dior homme intense
what a wonderful perfume. i have a 100 ml of it and just after a week of smelling it i decide to buy another bottle and now i have a 100 and a 150 ml of this perfume !.some of my friends said that it was great before 2013 i don't know but i believe i will buy dior again and again :).
Scent 6.0/10
GMK
A Lil too much for me.....
If I hadn't enjoyed the awesome blending and versatility of the Original edt , my thoughts on this would have been different from what I am going to write at the moment.
As a huge fan of Dior Homme 2005 , i was very excited when I received this as a gift , I must say its very nicely done with Iris and Vanilla(too much imo) but I badly miss the leather and cacao here which I got in original EDT, and that is the main difference I see between them , I just like it but dont know its a nose fatigue or something else , the over prevailing vanilla is not letting me enjoy the beautiful scent behind it.
Love the original which is far more better, masculine and very versatile piece of art if compared to this intense version.
Intense perfection
As perfect as Dior Homme and heavily similar to it (no point in describing the notes again then): just deeper, probably with more iris, slightly darker, muskier, more powerful and with a bolder lasting on skin. Maybe slightly woodier too. Layering the two of them using Dior Homme Intense's drydown as a base for Dior Homme brought me this close to getting rid of 90% of the rest of my wardrobe. I am not familiar with the alleged variations among Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense batches, all I know is that my 2014 bottle of the Intense is a glorious, delightfully non-redundant companion to its timeless brother.

8,5-9/10
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
New Era...
Excellent by any measure. I simply cannot describe Intense by Dior using the usual descriptors(aromatic, floral, spicy, musky) because if I do…you will naturally seek to place this with other colognes in your experience. It is a very unique fragrance that is well suited for a mature gentleman.
D.H.Intense is noticed for its very pleasant & different smell. This is not overwhelming but give'em a hug or kiss on the cheek and listen for the ooh and aahs. A tiny spray has long legs. The lingering sent can last for days on your Blazer.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
CLASSIC SCENT
After reading a lot of reviews and saw how this juice
was hyped i decided to blind buy it. And this was my
first designer perfume. At first spray i was unhappy at
the opening; i was expecting something "wow"
considering all the hype it got. I put it up for sale the
following week, although I was still using it. I put it on
one evening for a party. And I got my first compliment
on a perfume. My friend told me “you smell so good, I
love this perfume”. I was glad at last; all hope wasn’t
lost after all.
So I thought this fragrance was meant for the evening,
especially when it’s cold and raining or on cold
mornings. At these times I still smell it on myself after
a couple of hours.
I also discovered my DHI didn’t perform so well when
it’s sunny and hot (Nigerian weather). So knew when
to use it or not. I finally settled for this masterpiece.
Nine months later am planning to get another bottle or
the parfum version.

SUMMARY: Soft and sweet, smells feminine in the beginning. But later the masculinity starts creeping in after an hour or so. It performs best in cold evenings and winter. It's suit and tie scent.
Scent 7.0/10
This reformulation version seems to me somehow like a middle term between the two previous Dior Homme Concentrations, the EDT and the EDP Intense, in terms of how the scent develops on skin. It seems to rescue the powdery iris aspect of the EDT and to soften the vanillic drydown of the Intense turning it into something more woody (but not with not so much cedar as the original EDT seemed to be on my skin). With this, the Shalimar-like vanilla homage has gone alsmot completely, but the elegance is still here. It'd be very nice if they bring back the original intense formulation,reworked maybe in a pure parfum concentration.
Not my cup of tea
With winter approaching I've been on the lookout for a unique classy fragrance to standout on the cold winter nights. Read some good reviews about Dior Intense. But considering the price I decided to first venture to the local fragrance store to sample it. I have a decent collection of scents, maybe 15 to 20. So guess you could say I'm a fragrance junkie. But my approach is always to first sample a fragrance on my skin before spending hard earned cash. Sprayed about three whiffs of this highly rated parfum on my skin. Dear oh dear. It is certainly long lasting. And powdery as many reviews suggest. My disappointment is that after if i bought this i would be spending a load of cash on this to smell like a stronger version of Johnsons Baby Powder. The notes just get worse for me. I really wanted to like this scent. But just kept getting this annoying baby powder scent instead of a more masculine fragrance. Cannot understand the mega raves it gets. Maybe will try it on my skin again to decide. But for now i am yet to find a Parfum that wows me. Both Jaipur and this have not impressed. Gave my Jaipur Edp away as I could not stand the smell after two or three uses. They are built to last as a Parfum should. But the scents are too annoying for my liking and unique, yes, but not in a good way.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
The world's most stylish cologne!
Without any borders, the world's most stylish cologne was created.
Masterpiece, masterpiece and masterpiece.
You just need the "Dior Homme Intense", when you wearing a formal suit, to become a great gentleman.
This isn't the best cologne ever created. But, It's the most stylish cologne ever created.
Also it has one of the best "smells balancing" of all around the world.
you can't say with certainty it's sweet or bitter or soft or spicy or ...
Because it has them all.
You will have very good feedback with it.
in my idea everybody should use it to understand what's the meaning of "good feedback".
Dior Homme Intense
This is my "go-to" cologne for special occasions and when I want to make a "scent impression" but am unsure of what to wear. This scent is one hundred percent guaranteed to get me compliments when I wear it to a gathering. I just wore it to a wedding this weekend and when a fellow guest hugged me, she commented on how good I smelled. I greatly enjoy the powdery make-up smell mixed with the cocoa, vanilla and iris. Truly unique. I find this fragrance very special and unlike any other in my collection. It's hard to find so I'm thrilled to own two 100 ml. bottles of it. I don't ever want to be without this one. Definitely in the top 5 of my entire collection. Perfection in a bottle! I love it!

Darkbeat 135 days ago
Incredible beauty of luxury makeup powder. An elegant perfume, that everyone should try at least once in a lifetime. highly recommended.+3
Sillage 8.0
Sillage 7.5
Longevity 7.5
Scent 8.5
Attlas 7 months ago
The long lasting oppening gives a false impression of a feminine scent. But wait for the drydown... Not a feminine scent at all+1
Sillage 10.0
Longevity 10.0
Scent 9.5
Carlitos01 9 months ago
Some thoughts: Great fragrance, reliable, safe, great dates... 50% of the people uses this scent (Dior+Valentino+Zara 9.0+CH Privé+TF Noir)+1
Sillage 8.0
Longevity 8.0
Scent 8.5
Miljon 53 days ago
For me it smell creamy, like a candle with little bit of lavender and flowers, pleasant and strong

Discussions about Dior Homme Intense (2011)

delmanicomio in Perfume Recommendations