Diorella 1972Eau de Toilette

Diorella (Eau de Toilette) by Dior
Bottle Design Serge Mansau
Diorella (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior for women and was released in 1972. The scent is chypre-floral. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBasil, Bergamot, Green notes, Melon, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Carnation, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Peach, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 11.09.2020.

This fragrance was reformulated in 2009 by François Demachy according to IFRA guidelines. Since then it is part of the collection "Les Creations de Monsieur Dior".

Early memory ....
Diorella is the fragrance I have the earliest memory of.

In the 70s - my teenage years - I read an old book from the bookcase of my parents. The lover in this book wore "Diorissimo", this lily of the valley fragrance was mentioned there several times and described very beautifully and my curiosity was aroused. A little later I had to disclose this secret in our local H department store (I had not yet dared to try a "real" perfumery at that time, the "turquoises" did not yet exist).

I actually sniffed my way through the scents of Dior and my favourite was definitely "Diorella". I didn't buy it then (it was too expensive for me), but I got samples again and again, until one day I got it as a present. Over the years I lost sight of Diorella, there were too many other exciting scents. Very much later it ran me then again over the way and moved in meanwhile as a permanent companion again with me.

The fragrance still convinces me - even though it has changed in the meantime -: the start is tart, green, even a little scratchy, but immediately afterwards the unique, wonderful Diorella note appears and it becomes more floral. The fragrance becomes a little warmer and softer over time, but it remains bright and still fresh, only a little bit of sweetness creeps in, it doesn't get musty or musty at all. It is not a light fragrance, it has a wonderful intensity in its own way. It reminds me of a walk in the forest after a light rain, wild flowers blooming along the way, birds singing and the sun shining. I connect it with nature and do not want to give it away in the reformulated version.
Duftsucht
The magic of the past - the power of the present

The souk makes it possible - and the old version of Diorella recently moved in with me. But those who are now afraid of moaning according to the motto: In former times summers were hotter and in winter there were meters and meters of snow, are wrong.
For me, the two versions are like snow-white and rose-red: one more calm and perhaps a bit melancholic, the other more powerful and lively, but possibly lacking the depth and tranquillity of her sister. My vintage version starts with full-bodied green citrus fruits with a decent dose of moss. For lovers of moss a real pleasure! Within a few minutes Diorella becomes translucent and transparent, a fully ripe peach mixes into a lovely, natural bouquet of flowers that is simple and does not push itself forward. Sweet grass, which I love very much, is now clearly to be smelled, the moss remains a companion up to the end. For me it is a rather strict scent, which accompanies me the whole day, but stays close to me.
I find the current Diorella to be bubbly, cheerful and extroverted right from the start. It's brighter, more accessible, even more flowery. It is easy for me to welcome this fragrance, it does not block itself, it does not want to be conquered, it is there from the beginning and spoils me. A major difference for me is that although the top note is also citric-green-spicy, the oak moss of the vintage version is completely missing here. The light green velvety moss comes later to his appearance and then remains on the skin for a long time as a fresh (!) breath.
Beautiful, the two sisters, both my snow white and my rose red! I'm really looking forward to the vintage version in the fully blossoming spring, which I'm sure I'll have emptied in a short time - and I'll then put the new Diorella on my wish list for next spring with just as much pleasure. The two are perfect fragrances to dance into spring and early summer!

roudnitska's magnum opus
You know when you are smelling a Roudnitska fragrance. First of all they smell very French, oh so classical, but in a very modern way. It’s no coincidence that his career rose in tandem with Christian Dior, whose ‘New Look’ re-invented French fashion to suit a new ethic of modern chic elegance that provided Roudnitska with a tabula rasa in which to develop and perfect his signature style. There is a duality, a symbiotic, perfectly balanced dance of light & darkness, ephemeral & eternal, whimsy & serious, beauty & (slightly) grotesque. Diorama, Eau Fraiche, Diorissimo (I could write a full essay on THAT one – what a blast to wear!), Diorling, the totemic men’s Eau Sauvage all managed to incorporate this idiosyncratic approach, leading to what I consider the greatest perfume ever: Diorella.

Launched in 1972, Diorella conveys perfectly the spirit of The Age of Aquarius. Gender lines were becoming blurred, fashion was democratised and casual, the love was free, and the scene definitely groovy, baby. Elegance was still in style but it didn’t take itself so seriously. Roudnitska nailed this in a bottle.

(I must stress that throughout, I am considering the vintage version of Diorella, which maintained its essential perfection until the late nineties. The current stuff – aka Diorellish - ain’t bad, and is essentially a robust cologne with a fruity hue. But it has gone the way of most reformulated Diors: not worth discussing, especially in comparison to their former glories. )

Diorella is a chypre, a citric, fruity chypre. It hits with a blast of neroli, lemon and bergamot that acts simply as the ‘gateway’ to its real substance: honeysuckle, ‘fruit’ and hedione. The last element was introduced to the world by Roudnitska in Eau Sauvage a few years before Diorella, though he is much more generous with it in the latter. Hedione gives both their trademark jasmine insinuation, a sort of plastic floral character that proved that synthetics could be every bit as convincing as naturals in the right hands.

Where Diorella improves massively over Eau Sauvage is in its shameless sensuousness. Where ES is quite dry and astringent , Diorella holds you close in a casually warm embrace. There is very little bottom end in ES while Diorella always lets you know that this stuff is DEEP, the moss always lurking in the nether regions providing a touch of menace and this is what makes it such a comfortable wear for men. Some have likened Diorella as “Eau Sauvage with a drop of peach”, but the fruit accord here is a whole basket of summer fruit just arriving at its sell by date; not quite rotting, but certainly not fresh.
What florals there are present remain quite opaque and nebulous throughout. The most noticeable beyond the jasmine/hedione zone is of course honeysuckle. This rather underused floral gives Diorella a wonderful languid, lazy sultriness that really catapults this stuff into the sublime. Finally, I detect a firm note of hawthorne, which provides tartness needed to balance all the inferences of decay. Bloody genius, if you ask me.

Edmond Roudnitska showed the way toward contemporary perfumery by bridging the classical elements of French perfumery with modern aromachemicals and the required originality to make it all feel timeless. I see Kurkjian and Duchaufour as among his obvious heirs on this level. Though Diorella feels like the seventies, it is solidly transcendent of time, as all masterpieces are sui generis. There are a few other fragrances that sit on this Olympian perch, but no other can speak so numinously of true perfection like Diorella.

The truth about Cinderella
In the kingdom Dior used to live a nice girl, called "Cinderella".
She was a poor afflicted girl who was tormented and exploited by stepmother and stepsisters.
The butler of the house Mr Edmond and his charming Mrs. Roudnitska, had pity on the little poor girl and they decided to help her. A happy chance should release her soon from this plight, because king Dior gave a banquet to which all marriageable maidens were invited, so that the prince who was known as quite "sauvage" for himself may search a bride among them.
Cinderella should absolutely take part in the ball and conquer the heart of the prince.
But to it could come in addition, it required first of all of a few basic-recumbent changes, because so dirtily and ragged as Cinderella was, she could on no account show up to court. Moreover, she also lacked fine manners and etiquette.
Edmond prepared Cinderella a hot bath with fine herbs and bergamot and Roudnitska then she anointed with a fine oil from fruits.
Because Cinderellas dress was torn by the sisters, as everybody knows, the butler and his wife, weaved to her fast a dress of fresh flowers from the garden. So gracefully and so nicely, as no evening gown of the best tailor could have been. As a jewellery she carried a chain from jasmine blossoms.
Cinderella looked wonderfull and she smelt really majestically as it was due only to one princess.
Finally she learnt of Edmond a few more court rules and manners, practiced with Roudnitska the smooth way on the Oakmoss and danced already after a short time a classical Vetiver.
To the beginning of the banquet our nice Cinderella rode on a musk-ox to the castle where she crept by the cellar to the ballroom.
All rules of rank and nobility were represented, beauties assembled from all four corners of the earth round the attractive and marriage-willing prince. However, when Cinderella entered the hall, it became quiet and everybody looked only at her. With her beauty and the charming smell which surrounded them, she had pulled them all in her spell, also the prince. He took her tender hand and danced the whole night away with her.
The big event, the wedding of the both, was soon celebrated in the whole kingdom. Cinderella became Diorella and they happily lived together.
Their daughter who has already arisen, in the meantime is called, by the way, also Diorella. She has the beauty of her mother (whom I got never to know, unfortunately) inherited, however, should be substantially more tiny. Well, to the charm of mummy she probably does not come after..... but, nevertheless, I find her simply charming!
~
Fact is -
about this wonderful smell it was written already so much that I have simply permitted sometimes a little artistic freedom to myself and give a small fairy tale to the best.
However, I must admit that I am in the possession of the new version of this scent and do not know the "old one"! The new version is still absolute after my taste; up-to-date with this air of inimitable classical period we find again in the old Diors.
I would classify this smell as a seasonal allrounder and basically he is able to carry to every opportunity. .
The spicy lemon prelude reminds me a little of orange peels on the stove, no more quite freshly and, nevertheless, exiting. The flower splendour in the heart always keeps to themselves a slightly bitter note which allows to work this smell though very femininely, however, also seriously and adult.
The base is a dream, smoothly, nobly and velvety dark green.
~
Should I be sad now because I might not get to know the original, the mother of the young Diorella, anymore? No! Since it tyres me only to mourn over and over again past,I´m simply glad about the fact that her successor smells wonderfully on me!

Roudnitska's BEST
Much has been said about Diorella, so I'll be very brief: It's one of the nicest perfumes ever. Roudnitska said it was his best, proudest creation and I agree with him. So French, so fresh, so vibrant! Even the recent reformulation could not destroy much of Diorella's magic. Adorable.

No words.
It’s so easy to liken Diorella to other perfumes because it has so many points of obvious comparison: fruity chypres, citrus chypres, green chypres, Roudnitska classics, dirty jasmines, 1970s liberated perfumes. Sometimes I feel that relying on comparison is a cop-out. As if I can’t be creative enough on my own to capture what I mean. In this case, though, the use of comparison simply points to how rich a composition Diorella is, and the fact that it is the standard-bearer in the above categories.

OK. So a few of the comparisons:
Where Eau Sauvage is crisp, starched and shimmering, Diorella is tantalizing and sultry. There is also a cologne-like aspect to Diorella (esp. as in Eau d’Hermès), but if a cologne is refreshing and tonic, Diorella is like a lot of cologne after a few drinks. Diorella smells like Pour Monsieur sprayed on a sweaty body. Ms. Diorella makes the uptight Miss Chanel 19 see red every time they meet. (And, don’t ask me why, but this is the one that captures it for me.) Chanel Cristalle has an infrequently-used, symmetrical smile like a strand of pearls with canines. Diorella shows that Lauren Hutton, gap-toothed smile with every frequent laugh.

Diorella combines the best of all the categories that I love. Green and dry. Sinister fruit. Gorgeous color against mossy darkness. Bitterness with flavor. There are more well-struck balances in this perfume than you might find in another house’s entire line. The striking set of accords set in motion at the start remains in place from its almost tipsy-drunk start through its tart-green heart to its mossy-woody base. Diorella slides back-and-forth between its fruity, mossy, floral and woody tendencies, but remains specific and identifiable at all times. (Caveat. Perfumes change all the time, and chypres are endangered. The Diorella edt I know was bought in 2005.)

We perfume fans (freaks) often list favorites, the one we’d take to prison or a deserted island, the one we’d grab from a burning house. I’ve listed Rabanne’s Metal in my theoretical top 5. I’ve said Givenchy’s Insensé is my favorite in my collection. Both true, but if I could have only one perfume, Diorella would be my easy choice.

Androgynous Gender Bender
Burn your bra and wear DIORELLA. Unless you happen to be 36C, in which case I highly recommend that you keep the bra and wear DIORELLA. In any case, whatever your beliefs about appropriate displays of women's liberation might be, I encourage all of you, men and women alike, to wear DIORELLA!

This 1970 creation opens aromatically and entirely unisex. Lots of lemon, lots of basil, lots of other greenness as well. No one can convince me that this is not every bit as suited for a man as a woman. Refreshing, clean, invigorating, DIORELLA lies at the extreme end of the chypre spectrum (at the other end of which are found lots of shadows and fog...) and is a true gender-bender fragrance, eventually winding up in a subtle, lightly floralized vetiver drydown, which could be interpreted as feminine, but decidedly not in the pink lipstick, vanilla sugar, bouquet of roses way.

Fresh green splendor
Diorella is a very classic scent, you'd be hard pressed to find anything of this calibre in modern fragrances.

Typical of most chypres, Diorella opens with a citrusy and refreshing burst of Sicilian lemon and bergamot. Adding to the citrus is an interesting blend of green notes and basil which gives this fragrance a herbaceous like quality.

Despite this rather sharp and sour opening, Diorella is extremely feminine and balanced.

The top notes transcend delicately into the heart which is mostly subtle, green and slightly sweet honeysuckle, rose, jasmine and peach. After a while the heart takes on a clean and soapy quality which is a little similar to Miss Dior.

Rounding off this scent is the drydown which is rich, animalistic and woodsy. A masterpiece in my opinion.

Upon your first encounter with this fragrance it may not be love at first sniff, but like so many other Dior fragrances it will certainly grow on you. It's on my wishlist.

Jazzy76Jazzy76 130 days ago
softly green, lightly powdery, discrete and very classy, it's a second skin to wear as a White silk shirt in every season. Refined.
KimJongKimJong 150 days ago
Green vetiver with fresh lemon. It has a pellucid honey-like indolic scent. There are classic elements but I get an image like a little boy.
Alex1984Alex1984 3 years ago
1970’s edt: sparkling joie de vivre, lemons and honeysuckle amidst wild jasmine. Innocent but with a wink in her eye. Best summer cologne!

by Ginger
Beim Aufräumen des Schuhschranks hab ich den lang vermissten Vintage endlich wieder gefunden ;-)
stunning color games - Diorella 1
by Marta
by Marta
by Turmalin
by Turmalin
Links mit goldenem Zerstäuber von 2009, rechts mit silberfarbenem Zerstäuber von 2008
by Unchaned
by Ute
by Diorella
by Diorella

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Hypnotic Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior