Diorissimo (1956) Eau de Toilette

Version from 1956
Diorissimo (1956) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior

Diorissimo (1956) (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for women and was released in 1956. The scent is floral-fresh. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Green leaves
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmaryllis, Boronia, Lilac, Jasmine, Lily, Lily-of-the-valley, Rosemary, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Civet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 26.03.2019

This fragrance was reformulated in 2009 by François Demachy according to IFRA guidelines. Since then it is part of the collection "Les Creations de Monsieur Dior".

The scent of lily-of-the-valley cannot be extracted - there is no natural essence. It must be reconstructed to be usable in perfumery. There had been lily-of-the-valley perfumes before, but in 1956 Edmond Roudnitska succeeded with his reconstruction of this flower by using hydroxycitronellal, the main aroma component of lily of the valley, and other notes. This reconstruction was so good that it can count as the perfumers's masterpiece and reference fragrance for similar perfumes.

Christian Dior allegedly had asked for his favorite flower as a perfume. He is said to always have a lily-of-the-valley blossom sewn into the hems and tucks of his model dresses.

8.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

Christian Dior and Carl Peter Fabergé
Both are united by the lily of the valley - both created works of art!

Carl Peter Fabergé took over his father's jewellery shop in St. Petersburg in 1872. It didn't take long and Fabergé's name was closely linked to the tsar's court and the Russian nobility.
His legendary "Easter eggs" are more than works of art - they are a feast for the eyes!
From December 1986 to the end of February 1987, it was not without reason that crowds of people stood in front of the Kunsthalle of the Hypo-Kulturstiftung in Munich, where the only "large" exhibition of Fabergé's works to date was shown. (Only the catalogue is worth seeing!)
Not only his "Easter eggs", made annually for the Zarenhof, are unique and extraordinary; I am especially enchanted by his "lily of the valley basket" from 1896.
The 1986 exhibition catalogue describes this work of art as follows: Nine lily of the valley plants with golden stems, pearl and diamond flowers and nephrite leaves on woven gold moss cushions. Basket of plaited gold." - Pictures can be found on the Internet.
This flower basket stood for years on the desk of the last Tsarina Alexandra Fyodorova (Alix of Hesse-Darmstadt), married to Nicholas II Tsar of Russia.
To see this basket of lilies of the valley in nature was unfortunately not granted to me at that time; nevertheless my heart is attached to it. Just the pictures of it fascinate me again and again.
The works of art and jewellery that Carl Fabergé created in Russia are very different from each other: if he worked for the tsar's court, valuable gemstones and materials were used But if the "nouveau riche boyars" from Moscow wanted a "real Fabergé", a lot of enamel was used besides "secondary" gemstones.
The last large proportion of Fabergé jewellery was auctioned in 2010: the unique jewellery of the Valais Simpson - Duchess of Windsor! Not always beautiful or stylish - but very expensive!
We remember that!

Before I get to the fragrance itself, another short note:
At the beginning of the nineties I met in Abano Terme, where we were both cured, an old lady who lived in Munich.
She reported that she (1910) was born in St. Petersburg, 1918 with the families fled west.
Among them was also Carl Fabergé with his "followers" who left St. Petersburg.
One thing remained clearly in the girl's memory until our conversation at the time: "He drank French cognac and smoked thick cigars! - and that on the run!
Carl Fabergé lived for a short time in Baden Baden (there you can also find a museum of his name) and died in 1920 in Lausanne.
His "Easter eggs", however, are still unforgotten today and have a large "fan community"!
(Even if on the occasion of the "small" exhibition here in Berlin's Charlottenburg Palace a girlfriend indignantly said to me: "I didn't pay an entrance fee, just to see a few Easter eggs!")

Edmond Roudnitska, the famous "nose", once wrote: "The more we penetrate smells, the more they begin to penetrate us. They dwell within us and become a part of us." - How true!
In 1956 he created a perfume for Christian Dior with fresh floral notes and an extremely effective charm: "Diorissimo"!
The first "advertising displays" made for this fragrance are strongly reminiscent of the Versailles of the Sun King: an elaborately crafted Rocaille surrounds the simple lettering. "Tout Paris" was delighted!
Jasmine, lily and amaryllis dominate this classic, but you immediately feel the unique magic of the lily of the valley.
Jean Cocteau, a friend of Dior's, once noticed a "magical" connection of "Dieu": God with "Or": Gold = Dior! - That's a nice pun! Well, be it as it is!

I got to know and love this unique lily of the valley scent as a young woman in the mid-seventies.
At that time this lily of the valley with its "companions" enchanted me especially.
The fresh entrée of bergamot and a lot of green is extended by a real flush of flowers.
In addition to the already mentioned flower scents there are lilac, a very spicy rosemary and my special favourite Ylang-Ylang. This scent always reminds me of shimmering little beetles that leave a very special golden scent trail!
Sandalwood (still very much loved today) and Zibet ennoble this scent painting and lift it out of a "simple" summer flower scent; they give it a delicate, almost virgin sensuality.
I read somewhere that this wonderful lily of the valley fragrance is "a perfume that gives colour to all things and can give shine and eternity to a hat forgotten on a garden chair with a flower, a light dress, a bright laugh and the colours of time"
Unfortunately I can't remember where I found this saying; I wrote it down because it gives words to my personal feeling.

At another point I already mentioned that the wife of my boss at that time was employed in the perfumery of Bubi Scholz, the boxer, and gave me this dream fragrance in 1974 for Christmas.
It was still in the unpretentious clear glass flacon with the banderole, which had a black, pink or dark blue houndstooth pattern depending on the fragrance creation. The simple clasp with the gold thread was matching in colour.
I loved my "Diorissimo" hot; even though today I know that I was actually too young, too tender and small for this scent.
Of course it was added: it was a "Dior"!
A "Dior" fragrance in the seventies was what was later a "storage field" (in whatever form) or later a "Cartier" lighter/ fountain pen.
This full-bodied fragrance surrounded me for many hours and often accompanied me into a delightful summer evening without me having to spray it again.
Oh, I felt so great - surrounded by so much fragrant beauty!
Everything was light, magical and therefore unforgettable!

Time went on, but "Diorissimo" was still forgotten; the flacon landed somewhere - I don't know where!
One day I remembered and bought a flacon "Diorissimo" in an auction.
Oh, I was proud - and immediately disappointed! What had I bought then?
Only later, when I was already on my way here and followed my curious nose, did I realize that I had bought a new edition.
That wasn't my diorissimo anymore!
Although I was glad that the initial question of whether I really had such a confused taste (or distorted memory) at the time could be answered this way, ... no, it's not for me!

Call me old-fashioned or simply nostalgic: the "diorissimo" that I loved always remains a shining highlight in my "fragrance heart"! Even the best reformulation cannot change that!

My lily of the valley, which once enchanted me, is still called "Diorissimo" today and unfortunately has a rarity value! And yet he remains very precious to me!
1.0/10

Something has changed
I used to love this in my teens, so last year spring came in the country and out of the blue I thought about Lily of the valley (men offer those flowers on May the 1ste to their partners in my country) I always loved that smell, and impulsive as I am I bought diorissimo again after many years..thinking it would have been the same as when I was a teen, whaaaw not whatsoever...I even don' t like it anymore maybe my smellsense has changed, but I smell way to much green, lucky for me I only bought a 30 ml bottle. Out off frustration I bought a cheap lily of the valley fragrance of Bronnley, at least that smells as lily of the valley, although my brother said that smelled old lady, but so what at least I can smell lily of the valley when I want now, and I can always use it as a room fragrance, which I even can't do with the diorissimo, I would not be able to stand that smell continuously in my house. Maybe if I layer the two on my skin. I am gonna try that...
8.0/10

Fleuri, fleurissime...
My passion for fragance is kind of part of my heritage...my mum is a great perfume lover, in a not-organized way as i am. She has used wonderful perfumes since i can remember, but unfortunately not as a serious collector. Now and then i go to her boudoir and always find something new, and lots of samples, and sometimes i make an exceptional finding. Like the other day, i discovered atthe bottom of a drawer, half bottle of Diorissimo. The bottle was looking old, so i asked her when did she buy it. "Your dad gave it to me a couple years before you were born" So i assume is from 1978.

The perfume has been kept in dark, cool environment, so i assume is not too adultered. It has a sharp green opening, but among the cool greenery a warm round note of muget immediately takes shape. I find the lily of the valley accord to be very good and authentic: sweet, warm, a bit fruity and not cloying at all. Diorissimo is genuinely innocent, green and romantic. A very genteel scent.

After i tried at the local Sephora the fragance as it is sold now, I have to agree with a former review. Diorissimo, while it is beautiful and intoxicating, lacks a bit of profundity in its new version. There is no shadow. I do not find this as a negative thing. Being perfume an emotional experience, all moods are acceptable. Diorissimo is a harbinger of spring. Extremely pretty, with no surprises, no edges, no twists or dark side. A muguet soliflore from the beggining to the end.

I dont have to say i kept the old bottle for myself.

Mighty/Fallen
I'm torn on this perfume. Roudnitska. He was a genius and I'm an admirer of his other work. His works typically seem to have the thoroughness that denotes a masterful technical proficiency, but also an integrity of concept and intention.

I've only smelled the recent Diorissimo EDT, and I've tried to dissect the floral notes he's used to compose this ostensible lily of the valley soliflor. I get a green jasmine, a watery hyacinth, a languid ylang ylang. No base, no underbelly, no shadow. But what I get when I step back from dissecting it smells remarkably like an air freshener. Not a chic parfum d'ambiance. I mean the electrical socket plug-in variety.

A moment of seeing how the geometric lines come together to recreate the watery yet oily feel of muguet. A moment trying to sense what Diorissimo must originally have smelled like. A long sigh. Put the strip away for a few hours and then check again. Distressing reassurance of everything I initially thought. (And yes, I tried it on skin, too.)

Sad.
5.0 10.0 5.0 9.0/10

"Tu Es Partout"
Diorissimo Conjours pure White Easter Lilies Blooming and Curving
Sinuously around a Mauve Colored Bedroom In a Circular mirror Is a Girl
With her Long Blonde Hair Severely Fashioned in to Elegant Bun Applies
Lipstick of Pale Shade of Pink as she step back from the Mirror In her
Cream Strapless Heart shaped Tulle Evening gown Gently grabs a long stemmed
Lily from her White laced Gloves holds it between her hands staring at her bedroom Celling Listening
to the Tune of Edith Piaf Song "Tu Es Partout" On her Vinyl Player
Tears Rolling down her cheek as she awaits for her Lover to come back To her

Despite of the note of Civet Diorissimo Has to be the Most Ladylike of the perfume family she Uses Intrusion then Aggression, she speaks when spoken To
Piguet Bandit Is hard Butch Black Rough and Street Wise Diorissimo is Is Soft Feminine Pink and NaiveA 50's Housewife in a Bottle.
7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Proof Positive that I am Truly a Cow!
DIORISSIMO is so scrumptiously loveable that I must be a cow, for this is all about tiny white blossoms of lily of the valley evenly interspersed among endless fields of glistening green grass. Waves of jasmine come and go, and a bit of ylang and undetectable civet appear to add depth, but on its surface and through to its core this is a simple beauty which captivates in the manner of Bach's two-part inventions. Less is more!

DIORISSIMO is a resounding "yes" for lily of the valley lovers, and I'd certainly love to have a bottle of this.
5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Classic lily of the valley
This fragrance is one of those classics that capture you with its simplicity and charm rather than its uniqueness or bold new approach.

Diorissimo is the perfect example of a fresh, green floral that somehow manages to be loved by so many people even though the scent itself is nothing particularly mind-blowing.

To my nose I sense a lot of lily-of-the-valley in this fragrance. Almost the exact same smell as a flower bed just after it has been sprinkled with rain. For this reason Diorissimo reminds me of Spring.

Diorissimo settles on my skin beautifully. The scent is clean, flowery, soft, elegant and only mildly sweet. There is something slightly old-fashioned about this scent, however I feel that it transcends into the modern world with ease.

This fragrance could be worn both casually and formally, it really is a versatile scent. The sillage is not strong, just enough presence to be enjoyed by the wearer. I highly recommend.

Alex1984 16 months ago
Spring in a bottle! Little blossoms of LOTV, hanging from a silver thread that’s caressed by the sun. Roudnitska joy! Happy 1st May!+4
9.0
Jazzy76 16 months ago
It was one of my mother's favourite fragrances , but on my skin the lily of the valley notes were too intense and vibrant.Headache!+1

by Cincy
by Spektrum
just beautiful - Diorissimo 2
by Jumi
by Jumi
Kindheitserinnerungen ..... den hat meine Mama immer getragen,  laaang is her ;)
by Spring67