Dune 1991 Eau de Toilette

Dune (Eau de Toilette) by Dior
Bottle Design Véronique Monod
Dune (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior for women and was released in 1991. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes
MuskMusk
PatchouliPatchouli
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 03.01.2022.

Dune won a FiFi award in 1993.

MudlPlumBad
Smells expensive but it's not the perfume for me)
This was the first expensive perfume which was given to me as a present. When I smelt it I instantaneously could smell luxury and at the same time I couldn't connect with this perfume on a deeper level. It was way too cold for me if you can call some smell cold.) Nevertheless I need to be fair to Dune it does smell like a luxury perfume should smell and I would feel lovely if things around me smelt of it, something like the magazines I read or the towels I use. o_O
Serenissima
sorry, but it's not gonna work with us!
From the charming saleswoman at the stand of the "Christian Dior Bijouterie" back then at Wertheim on Kurfürstendamm I also got miniatures of fragrances of this brand again and again.
She knew my preferences too well; therefore I bought also very gladly with her.
Also the "old flat" small flacons of the classics with the different colored "belly bands" in the houndstooth pattern I had from her; partly filled, partly also empty (because they were beautiful).
To my great regret, they must have fallen victim to a throwaway mania; they are no longer there.
So one day a miniature of "Dune" also ended up with me, fresh on the market and as an addition to a jewelry purchase.

In the meantime, as is well known, I am on a "Christian Dior fragrance discovery path", and have encountered many fragrances - including those of the younger generation - among which there were relatively few with which I harmonized so little as with "Dune".

Not only my memory, also the "shabby smelly rest" in the Mini confirms this.

When I look at the fragrance pyramid so, I can not really understand.
Is it the rosewood (other sources also talk about rosewood) in the approach that irritates me or is it the entire composition?
It certainly plays a role that "Dune" lives up to its name and is not only presented as a "beach and sun fragrance". He fits there certainly also excellent.
I am by all means not a type for bathing/beach holidays; dunes, sand and sea and salt are not necessarily what lures me; rather harms me!
Maybe it's just my head blocking the senses here.

The prelude is already nice with its aldehydes and the citrusy freshness; the woody note and the always very beloved peony already make me a little strange.
The heart note should actually please me; but probably here the "child has already fallen into the well" and I go a little more at a distance; the nose curls.
The classic chypre base tries to smooth out my now ruffled feathers; it doesn't work.
I just don't feel comfortable.
Not that I necessarily need to wash this scent off, but ...

For that, the longevity is exceptional; "Dune" won't let me out of its clutches!
Not even now, after almost thirty years of storage and not very loving treatment.
This, of course, speaks to the quality of this fragrance creation.

Please do not misunderstand: "Dune" is a fragrance that deserves to be worn and loved; but unfortunately not by me!
The miniature remains in the bag with the others; the half-length necklace with the three pendants, one of them in "Dune" flacon form, has since ended up with a friend.
She wears high-necked T-shirts and thus has the appropriate base for this fine piece of CD bijouterie.

Sometimes it's just not meant to be: here it is!
Off to the dunes - but without me!
Mediterranean summer
I could not have ersouken the bottling to this fragrance at a better time.
Yesterday he arrived and today on the summer Sunday I test him. Currently, we have 27 degrees here. The remaining evening sun kisses my face. I enjoy on the balcony, with a glass of wine, every warm breeze and every single sunbeam.

My skin was already pre-warmed from the evening sun. I take out the fragrance and spray it on the back of my hand. I listen to the wind and imagine ocean sounds. Right now, in the middle of the pandemic, I'm somewhere on a Cinque Terre coast in Italy. Brown long hair, lifted by the slightly warm summer breeze. A white long dress hugs my body, dancing lightly with the breeze. The evening sun colors everything golden-orange, skin tingling. My perfume also dances with the light wind. Dune by Dior. The citrusy opening, detached by the mandarin, pokes me on the nose, I think the bergamot imitates the mandarin. Annoying me, fleeing from it, wanting to play tag with me. The lightness is always quenched by the patchouli and sandalwood. The earthy and dry notes mirror my surroundings and give the scent steadfastness. How can a fragrance smell so juicy and fresh but at the same time so dry. I dance to the wind and my scent. Arriving at the small restaurant in the little alley, I sit down on the wiry and ornate chairs. My skin radiates so much warmth that by the end of the evening, the vanilla and benzoin play lightly and passionately with the front strand of hair that has fallen into my face. As if the fragrance notes were a finger wrapping around the strand of my hair, slightly loosening it, caressing my face. I enjoy the warmth the scent gives me.

I open my eyes ... smell the scent again and give thanks for this journey.

I have many winter scents and maybe a few spring scents. I was missing just such a summer scent for the really hot days.

(Ps: This is exactly what I expected from the Terracotta fragrance)
Memories - then
Today's the day - today I'm posting my first comment, and it's none other than my first big perfume love - DUNE. Scent of the summer. Still.

Memories - Let's turn back time . Summer 1983.

Heat , beach , sea , sand and a carelessness that I miss so much today. After school and work assignments once again break with a friend at the Baltic Sea. We didn't have to do anything, everything was easy, flowing and exciting at the same time. We walked to the beach, it was not far. To this day I can't forget the sight and smell of the sea - always overwhelming. What could happen to us, we owned the world at that moment. Clothes off and into the water... Wonderful and even better was coming out. You didn't need a towel, the sun licked up all the drops. Scent of the sea , sunscreen , sand and an unforgettable lightness that now became a bit of inertia. The sun burned, the air vibrated and we fell asleep... Dangerous in this heat. A noise woke us up. The clatter of a bicycle. A rusty bicycle. It was getting closer... I sat up and looked over the dunes - there was someone standing there. A strange person with a bicycle and big utensils on the carrier. I was a bit scared, what did this guy want...? He was waving his hands, all excited. I woke up my girlfriend and she was scared too.... ;-))) He came closer with his rattle bike and looked at us with interest, we on the other hand were scared.... It was an older man with a huge tattered sun-bas hat, small nickel glasses and small cunning fox eyes.... He laughed and got his big drawing pad down from the luggage rack , squatted down and asked us if he could draw us . It must have been a grotesque sight - us completely sleepy, sunburnt, confused and a bit scared.... One must say to it, we both were completely different types - my friend small and quite strong-womanly, I tall and thin and the head full of long wild hair...
The sight couldn't have been more opposite and comical, I guess you had to hold on to that.... We were so flabbergasted, he dismounted , squatted down with some distance and began his work. The situation was so funny that nobody said anything... Scribbles, glances, the sound of the sea... Dumbfounded silence on our part.
After a while I guess he was done, no one said a word. He packed up his things and walked ponderously away again through the sand, on his rickety bike, just as strangely as he had appeared. We looked until he had disappeared behind the dunes and then quickly packed up our things. Later, in the discotheque, we told everyone about it. It was just too grotesque and so funny at the same time..

TODAY

Whenever I smell DUNE, I remember back then - sun, sand, cream, fragrance and freedom. DUNE embodies everything in itself. I smell my youth, the carefree and the sea. And also a bit of melancholy. A beautiful, womanly yet strange scent - just like our situation back then. Tangerine, sea , sand, flowers, sandalwood and relaxed musk. DUNE embodies the sea , the sand and the light breeze. I still love this fragrance and it gives me so many summer memories to cherish especially in these dark winter hours.

What became of this painter ? We never saw his work, a shame really.
Too bad also, how our further life paths then ran and diverged.
I would like to know where this painting ended up and what became of my girlfriend at the time.
You bist´s still!
Dune has been one of my favorites for many years and I want to fragrance it again and again. I treat myself to this grandiose fragrance experience when I'm overcome with wanderlust. I see in my mind's eye a huge dune made of rose´farbenem, fine quartz sand close to the turquoise, crystal clear sea water. Between sea and dune, the beach, empty, without masses of tourists, still undiscovered and hidden. Driftwood, bleached and dried by the relentless sun, lies there looking ghostly, branches like arms stretching out against the sky in search of help. Beautiful and bizarre!
Dune brings forth these associations. The fragrance, at first a powerful alcoholic prelude. After a short time followed by juicy, freshly peeled mandarins. However, they only stay for a little while and then turn into soft blossom scents, especially ylang-ylang and jasmine. Rose and lily are barely perceptible. The base note is characterized by sandalwood, here strongly represented and mystical patchouli, followed by a rather soft vanilla note, which surrounds the fragrance with its subtlety. The other ingredients listed in the fragrance pyramid are somewhat reserved for me in order to give more space to the more weighty components. Applied in the morning, Dune remains perceptible until the evening hours. This fragrance is just wonderful and noble for me.
Even if time has fundamentally changed my scent taste, Dune with its unmistakable Odeur remains one of my olfactory favourites, which I must always have with me.

Memories....
It was the 1991 when I went with my uncles to Livigno, in the northern Italy,on the mountains. That year was the year of relaease of this scent and when I,who was only a teenager but attracted by the ladylike scent, went in a drugstore to try this new perfume, I immediately fell in love with it at the first spray. It was different, particular, it made me travel with my fantasy dreaming of deserts , oasis and caravans, as the name "Dune" suggests. I bought it this scent because it was less expensive than today , in comparison, and I still keep the vintage bottle as one of my dearest objects.
On my skin I smelled immediately the aldheidic note at the opening , then the scent became less synthetic and warmer revealing its very feminin jasmin-ylang heart , but the notes which remained for hours and hours were the benzoin, the sandalwood, the musk and the ambergris. I didn't' smell the vanilla on me, so the sillage was strong but very bitter, quite masculin, The bottle was (and still is) a little masterpiece, very refined and maybe all these things justify the price, nowadays high. I re-tested this scent a few days ago and it is still the same, although I love mainly my beloved vintage bottle!

Embrace of Mother Earth
I tested Dune without much expectation. The woody opening smells just like how I remembered it while someone in my family wore it during my teenage years. Then, what a surprise when I sniffed my wrist a while later! The amber blended with benzoin, lily, jasmin and other flowers is such a pleasant scent, so smooth and comforting. I detect somehow a slight salty/sour/bitter/whatever note providing a tiny dry twist. The sandalwood lingers somewhere in drydown and slightly spices up, providing a deeper dimension. I don't get the beach/desert image as previous reviewers. But it definitely gives me a earthy feeling, like I was embraced by the mother earth. And the sillage and the longevity is pretty impressive for an EDT.

The only thing that I'm not so happy with is that I don't get the ethestics of the bottle. Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend this sensual fragrance.

Originally written in 2013.

Germanblonde
Perfect for an art vernissage
When Indian summer starts rolling in, Dune is coming out. This is super ladylike. Not something I wear for work, leisure time or just to hang around the house, but something for special occasions, like an art vernissage, conservatively dressed with pearl studs and a pearl necklace, the hair up in a bun. Needless to say that I do not have many occasions to wear it, but I am glad that I own it as an option for important dates where I have to emphasize my all grown up side. Yup, the one that I try to ignore most of the time. :)

Breeze Through The Reeds
DUNE is one of those scents, one of those very few scents, that feels like it's intrinsically a part of me.

DUNE understands and awakens in me something that is barely/seldom touched upon by others.

DUNE has a mellow, calm, quiet, all knowing confidence.
She is a whisper, never a scream. A languid glance skyward.

The scent that surrounds me when I am wearing her is a cocoon, a chrysalis. The lone washed up shell on a sandy beach.

For me, DUNE is not dissimilar to the way grains of sand appear when viewed under a microscope.

She is bewitching, enchanting, achingly melancholy.

She is the soft sigh of yesterday's ending at the birth of a new tomorrow. Nature's last breath in that moment as night turns into day.

Warm citrus - woody - amber
Dune displays a peculiar carrot-apple-chocolate-like aura in the beginning, twisted with dozen of woodsy notes and amplified by a modern (at least considering it in its era) aldehydic floral patch. Sort of misleading fragrance, and beguiling amber/ambergris with flat and simple attributions, but enchanting enough.
4/5

LillibetLillibet 4 years ago
Bergamote & mandarin open over a lightly spicy woody oriental with a vanilla-sandalwood base. Lush & gorgeous with a generous sillage.
Bcars10Bcars10 4 years ago
2.5
"Treacle-mustard"?! Is this a perfume or a main dish? I don't want to smell this masculine, but I guess it fits a niche for women who do.

Etwas Abkuehlung vom polnischen Baltikum...:)
by Zelena
by Zelena
by Smitty
Dune nach Sonnenaufgang ...
by MadameLegras
Zwar keine Düne, aber ein Steinstrand am Bodensee mit glasklarem Wasser ....
by Minea
by FrauLocke
by FrauLocke
by Delboy
by Delboy
Reise zu den Meeresdünen!
by Olentia
by Schahram
by GreenTin
by GreenTin

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior