Dune 1991Eau de Toilette

Dune (Eau de Toilette) by Dior
Bottle Design Véronique Monod
Dune (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior for women and was released in 1991. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Brazilian rosewood, Mandarin orange, Peony
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily, Rose, Treacle-mustard, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Benzoin, Oakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 07.10.2020.

Dune won a FiFi award in 1993.

You bist´s still!
Dune has been one of my favorites for many years and I want to fragrance it again and again. I treat myself to this grandiose fragrance experience when I'm overcome with wanderlust. I see in my mind's eye a huge dune made of rose´farbenem, fine quartz sand close to the turquoise, crystal clear sea water. Between sea and dune, the beach, empty, without masses of tourists, still undiscovered and hidden. Driftwood, bleached and dried by the relentless sun, lies there looking ghostly, branches like arms stretching out against the sky in search of help. Beautiful and bizarre!
Dune brings forth these associations. The fragrance, at first a powerful alcoholic prelude. After a short time followed by juicy, freshly peeled mandarins. However, they only stay for a little while and then turn into soft blossom scents, especially ylang-ylang and jasmine. Rose and lily are barely perceptible. The base note is characterized by sandalwood, here strongly represented and mystical patchouli, followed by a rather soft vanilla note, which surrounds the fragrance with its subtlety. The other ingredients listed in the fragrance pyramid are somewhat reserved for me in order to give more space to the more weighty components. Applied in the morning, Dune remains perceptible until the evening hours. This fragrance is just wonderful and noble for me.
Even if time has fundamentally changed my scent taste, Dune with its unmistakable Odeur remains one of my olfactory favourites, which I must always have with me.

Memories....
It was the 1991 when I went with my uncles to Livigno, in the northern Italy,on the mountains. That year was the year of relaease of this scent and when I,who was only a teenager but attracted by the ladylike scent, went in a drugstore to try this new perfume, I immediately fell in love with it at the first spray. It was different, particular, it made me travel with my fantasy dreaming of deserts , oasis and caravans, as the name "Dune" suggests. I bought it this scent because it was less expensive than today , in comparison, and I still keep the vintage bottle as one of my dearest objects.
On my skin I smelled immediately the aldheidic note at the opening , then the scent became less synthetic and warmer revealing its very feminin jasmin-ylang heart , but the notes which remained for hours and hours were the benzoin, the sandalwood, the musk and the ambergris. I didn't' smell the vanilla on me, so the sillage was strong but very bitter, quite masculin, The bottle was (and still is) a little masterpiece, very refined and maybe all these things justify the price, nowadays high. I re-tested this scent a few days ago and it is still the same, although I love mainly my beloved vintage bottle!

Embrace of Mother Earth
I tested Dune without much expectation. The woody opening smells just like how I remembered it while someone in my family wore it during my teenage years. Then, what a surprise when I sniffed my wrist a while later! The amber blended with benzoin, lily, jasmin and other flowers is such a pleasant scent, so smooth and comforting. I detect somehow a slight salty/sour/bitter/whatever note providing a tiny dry twist. The sandalwood lingers somewhere in drydown and slightly spices up, providing a deeper dimension. I don't get the beach/desert image as previous reviewers. But it definitely gives me a earthy feeling, like I was embraced by the mother earth. And the sillage and the longevity is pretty impressive for an EDT.

The only thing that I'm not so happy with is that I don't get the ethestics of the bottle. Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend this sensual fragrance.

Originally written in 2013.

Germanblonde
Perfect for an art vernissage
When Indian summer starts rolling in, Dune is coming out. This is super ladylike. Not something I wear for work, leisure time or just to hang around the house, but something for special occasions, like an art vernissage, conservatively dressed with pearl studs and a pearl necklace, the hair up in a bun. Needless to say that I do not have many occasions to wear it, but I am glad that I own it as an option for important dates where I have to emphasize my all grown up side. Yup, the one that I try to ignore most of the time. :)

Breeze Through The Reeds
DUNE is one of those scents, one of those very few scents, that feels like it's intrinsically a part of me.

DUNE understands and awakens in me something that is barely/seldom touched upon by others.

DUNE has a mellow, calm, quiet, all knowing confidence.
She is a whisper, never a scream. A languid glance skyward.

The scent that surrounds me when I am wearing her is a cocoon, a chrysalis. The lone washed up shell on a sandy beach.

For me, DUNE is not dissimilar to the way grains of sand appear when viewed under a microscope.

She is bewitching, enchanting, achingly melancholy.

She is the soft sigh of yesterday's ending at the birth of a new tomorrow. Nature's last breath in that moment as night turns into day.

Warm citrus - woody - amber
Dune displays a peculiar carrot-apple-chocolate-like aura in the beginning, twisted with dozen of woodsy notes and amplified by a modern (at least considering it in its era) aldehydic floral patch. Sort of misleading fragrance, and beguiling amber/ambergris with flat and simple attributions, but enchanting enough.
4/5

Drifting away with Dune.
I kept testing Dune at my local Boots' perfume department. I was swept
off my feet by this beautiful perfume. I was so glad when I finally had my own bottle. For me, it conjures up fantasies of Saharan desert dunes with Bedouin people sitting around campfires. Middle eastern spice markets, beautiful belly dancers, Sir Richard Burton's Arabian Nights. In my mind it smells too exotic and ethereally spicy to suggest seaside beach dunes.
It's a perfect scent for winter, as it takes me away from the cold, short days and lifts my spirits. Thank you Dior.

Dune Today...A Ghost Of The Past
The new Dune is a bright, sparkling scent with the mosses crisp and clear, lying low to the skin. But where's the punch of the old Dune? It's supposed to take me away, at least it used to. But the new Dune takes me nowhere, and I waited and waited. The opening is a ghost of what it should be, what it used to be. It lasts for barely an hour and quietly slips away. Shame, shame and more shame.
I realize that many cannot purchase the old formula but if you can, look for it instead of the newest formulation. It will be money well spent.
Unless I want to continue spraying, it's vintage Dune for my selection.

Piapedersen
What reading can lead to
Sometimes you come by things in the strangest ways… By coincidence you meet someone or something that changes your life forever. This is what makes life way more interesting. I stumbled over Dune because I read Frank Herbert’s books when I was 11 and later watched the film in 1985 – and fell in love with the story. So, in 1991, when I saw an ad for Dune, Dior’s new fragrance, I knew I couldn’t live without it. I had to own this perfume. But… it was very expensive, as are all Dior products, and I was a student at that time, so I had to wait for my birthday to hold this gem in my hands. I didn’t even know what it smelled like before putting it on my wishing list, since I didn’t try it at the shop. I had already fallen in love with the name and the bottle.
The first experience with this wonder still comes clearly to me: I was blown away! Never had I smelled anything similar. I was more into floral fruities, such as Paris and Tresor, and I had my own, very fixated idea on how a perfume should actually smell. It changed that day.
Dune is first of all spicy. Warm, spicy and with a fine note of sandalwood, right from the start. No matter how, when or where I spray it I do not get any flowers, just a twist of mandarine. The heart of this is, to me, patchouli and an almost unnoticeable whiff of jasmine (but I don’t get that every time I wear it) and the dry-down is sandalwood, benzoin, musk and moss. This is what makes the fragrance stand out: no flowers! Therefore I consider this fragrance a masterpiece. Well, a revelation actually.
Its longevity is good, more than 8 hours, and the sillage is more than a meter (3 feet). I would say it’s for evening wear… but I wear it all year around the clock. It’s a mood’s perfume and it makes me really happy. The only annoying thing about the scent is that no one seems to like it, apart from me. I have never had compliments from wearing this particular perfume. I suppose it is too strange.
Finally: the flacon. Veronique Monod has done a really great job. She was the designer of the Poison flacon, which I adore and I like her style in general; soft lines combined in a simple fashion. Very feminine and sophisticated. Both Poison and Dune fit perfectly in your hand.

jtd
Disturbing. May I have More Please?
According to evolutionary biology there are various forces that bring about genetic transformation. And while evolution in review might appear to flow, when the driving force is mutation, change is abrupt. Take Angel (1992), which blew minds when it appeared on the scene, having sprung fully formed from the head of Thierry Mugler.

I’m not saying Angel isn’t a mutant. But she does appear to have a predecessor if not ancestor: Dior’s Dune (1991). Ignore the beachlike coziness Dior’s marketing has tried to sell us. Dune is spooky. It has an edible/inedible complex at its heart that is conceptually similar to Angel, just less apparent. Where the Angel dilemma is immediate, desirable vs poisonous, Dune’s is more something to be considered at your leisure, fresh vs freeze-dried. Also, while these push/pull tendencies in Angel are played at volume 11, they’re more like elevator music in Dune. They occupy that nearly subliminal realm where you are aware and yet succumb without intending to. Not to say that Dune is quiet. There’s something actually quite loud about it even in drydown. But the juxtaposition in the accords themselves is almost imperceptible next to Angel’s loud-mouthed testifying.

Angel is Freddy Kruger coming at you, claws bared. Dune is more the nightmare where everything appears perfectly normal, yet feels disquietingly wrong. Since Dune relies on construction rather than volume to drive home its point of otherness, I find it the more unsettling perfume. If Angel is deranged, Dune is disconcerting, ultimately a more powerful trait if you ask me.

LillibetLillibet 3 years ago
Bergamote & mandarin open over a lightly spicy woody oriental with a vanilla-sandalwood base. Lush & gorgeous with a generous sillage.
Bcars10Bcars10 3 years ago
2.5
"Treacle-mustard"?! Is this a perfume or a main dish? I don't want to smell this masculine, but I guess it fits a niche for women who do.

Etwas Abkuehlung vom polnischen Baltikum...:)
by Zelena
by Zelena
by Smitty
Dune nach Sonnenaufgang ...
by MadameLegras
Zwar keine Düne, aber ein Steinstrand am Bodensee mit glasklarem Wasser ....
by Zora
by Zora
by Cincy
by Cincy
by Minea
by Minea
by AFreimann
Original aus den 90ern. Er duftet immer noch gut.
by Ilovecoffee
by Delboy
by Delboy
Reise zu den Meeresdünen!
by Olentia
by Schahram
by GreenTin
by GreenTin

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Dioressence (Eau de Toilette) by Dior