Eau Noire 2004

Eau Noire by Dior
Bottle Design Hedi Slimane
Eau Noire is a perfume by Dior for men and was released in 2004. The scent is spicy-gourmand. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesWhite thymeWhite thyme
Clary sageClary sage
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavenderLavender
Virginia cedarVirginia cedar
Base Notes Base NotesVanillaVanilla
Green stemsGreen stems
LiquoriceLiquorice

Submitted by Sani, last update on 02.10.2021.

My name is not Gerhard Schröder
They say he never passes a currywurst stand without eating one. And when you think of VW, I think of currywurst. Yes, the Brioni chancellor loves not only the rolling rouble and smart suits, but also plain currywurst. At Gazprom it's compulsory in the canteens. The best currywurst is said to be in Berlin, long queues at Currywurst 36 will surely confirm that. Although Kreuzberg certainly has more to offer. Carnival of Cultures for example, the beautiful old market hall.......but we were talking about Currywurst and I don't want to digress. Very important for a good curry sauce should be Cola.

Does Eau Noire smell like currywurst now? Yep.Schallhörer described it in great detail and you should read that if you want to know exactly. I agree with him.
I only get a curry feeling when I press my nose directly into the sprayed area, a few inches away and it's spicy rather than curry-heavy. A nice coffee scent that starts herbaceous lavender, spicy, with licorice. Sage and thyme push, the cedar is hard to distinguish from the licorice. Bissi similar to Play Intense, in terms of coffee, and then but with licorice.

Do I want to smell like that? Rather not, but I find him great made.
Schallhoerer
Is there a liquorice in the Starbucks
The Eau Noire was released in 2004 and comes as one of the few fragrances of the Privee series not from Francois Demachy, but from Francis Kurkdjian, who of course you will know through his own fragrance house "Maison Francis Kurkdjian".

I would describe Eau Noire thereby as spicy-aromatic. On the Internet, the fragrance is rather called spicy-gourmand. The Gourmand aspects, however, I can not quite understand here.

If you look at the fragrance notes now, you could already have a premonition with vanilla and licorice that it could go in the direction of gourmand. But the most prominent notes for my nose are the lavender, the strawflower (which is not listed in the official notes) and the licorice. For me, though, Eau Noire is ostensibly one thing. And that is an outstandingly good coffee scent, which thereby connected the lavender quite clearly in the foreground. In the opening we have here a slightly sweet coffee, which is cleverly set off by all sorts of spices. Many are smelling Eau Noire for the first time and directly associate the smell of the strawflower with the smell of curry. While I can understand that association, nothing here smells to me like a typical curry dish like you'd get from Indian. The spices give the fragrance just in the opening a few edges and let the coffee thereby not stand alone and not too sweet.

Compared to the vetiver, the coffee here but not like earthy coffee grounds but already more like a dark, brewed coffee with a pinch of sugar. In the course of the fragrance, the coffee is then but thicker, syrupy and you could figuratively see the spoon stuck in the coffee. The sweetness increases a bit, but is still well balanced by the spices. Once the licorice has completely spread, the coffee aroma recedes a bit and makes way for that slightly sweet medicinal smell of the licorice with its aniseed note. So the fragrance then also sounds out over time.

The performance is at 10 hours and only after 2-3 hours, the fragrance slowly becomes skin. It is thereby not a screamer that bothers people but a potent fragrance that is pleasant in the air.

So here we have a not too sweet coffee scent, with nice spice and syrupy drydown, which can play its advantages perfectly, especially in the cold season. The fragrance is warming, soothing and simply a pleasure in cold weather.

Sublime Helichrysum
If you've ever smelled Immortelle you'll know what a beautiful smell it is: sweet, rich and roasted like fenugreek.
Eau Noire is basically Helichrysum opposed with lavenders - possibly oil and absolute - and there are herbs, licorice and violets, and other nuances to round it out.
This is posed on a base of amber, but most of these things are just modifiers of the basic outline.
It's simple but beautiful.
If, like me, you thought Sables was the reference Helichrysum, you haven't tried Kurkdjian's garrigue fantasy, Eau Noire.

Scent of dreams
One of the early Christian Dior Prive Collection scents, Eau Noire on paper is a curious combination. I was not sure how I was going to feel about it when I first smelled it, but now nine months later I can post my review.

Very elegant and masculine Eau Noire
The first time I met Eau Noire (2004) I immediately and almost only smelt the Licorice and thought it was very strange in an Eau de Cologne... it left me an impression of something very dark, but interesting.

Actually when I use it, I smell the Lavender a lot. I don't really like Lavender, because you often smell bad quality of it, or synthetic - this latter even is a trigger for asthma attack to me!! - and it reminds me of an old man who just left the barber, or an old woman folding laundry.
In Eau Noire, the Lavender is really strong - like in an old man's Eau de Cologne - but excellent, like the one you can smell in Provence when the sun is burning your nose. It is combined with Sage, Thyme and also Curry herb. So the opening is like a French dish... so it IS very French (Iread the opposite somewhere).

Then you can smell the Vanilla and the Licorice - I don't smell very much the Cedar - and that's what stays on your skin for a few hours. It is not too sweet.
The overall scent is very masculine, quite classical and elegant. It can also remind you of pencil shavings!

The projection and the sillage are not that loud - less that what you could expect after the opening - and the scent remains on your skin for a few hours.

Despite all the components, Eau Noire is really comfortable to wear and is a good friend.

MasterLi
Interesting take on Lavender...
The name Eau Noire relates to the Château de La Colle Noire, located in Provence in southern France, where Christian Dior spent his holidays in retirement. To put that in context, it makes use of a lot of Provençal (i.e. Mediterranean notes), namely Sage, Thyme, Lavender, Immortelle and Liqorice. Also, I read that the head of design at Dior, Hedi Slimane, wanted something that he would wear based on his lifelong signature scent, which was Pour un Homme de Caron, with it's Lavender-Vanilla combination; and what better man to do it than Francis Kurkdjian, the man who created the world famous Lavender and Vanilla bomb, "Le Male"?

Right out of the bottle I get a really aromatic thyme note (listed by Dior as 'white Spanish thyme'). Thyme as a herb can be sharp and is unmistakable, I also detect sage, which adds to the herbal build-up. The thyme, sage and lavender all play on the dry herbal aspects of one another to give Eau Noire a definite herbal quality. I would describe this fragrance as a "herbal gourmand" or "aromatic gourmand", purely because of the aromatic coffee-vanilla and herbal lavender pairing. I happen to love the smell of lavender, and the lavender here smells very much like the almost-dry lavender picked off the bush in hot summer. The herbs are then paired with a deep-roasted coffee bean note, with the leather and liquorice simmering underneath.

With regards to the infamous "curry note". I wonder if the mention of Immortelle or 'everlasting flower' is not just a trick of the mind? As it could also be the liquorice/thyme combination or the burnt vanilla-coffee mixing with the herbs and leather? On the Dior website Immortelle isn't listed in the notes. However, if the flower IS in the fragrance (and many people swear it is), it most certainly forms its backbone, the very thread which holds it together, and in this sense it completes a very Mediterranean vibe when paired with the herbal qualities of the sage, thyme and lavender.

Overall, Eau Noire may be a love or hate fragrance. It is undeniably well made and well composed, of that there is no doubt. It smells extremely natural, very much like sitting on a Mediterranean hillside in the South of France in hot summer whilst sipping an authentic espresso. It's gourmand, it's definitely interesting, and whilst it's not for everyone, and it's certainly not bad. I for one find it really unique, and not something that I come across very often in fragrances.

Insense
Neither an "eau" nor "noire"
In fact, this is not just a cologne. And the concept of noir is a puzzling one, after so different takes by many perfumers (TF Noir de Noir: rose oud; Bvlgari Black: leathery black tea...which noir will be mine? Probably not one with the name on it).
This has an enormous longevity and suits me much better in a winter cold day. Why? Because of its warmness and full character, given by the immortelle.
Actually that note is one of my preferred, and as in AG Sables or more subtly in HdP 1740, immortelle plays the main role here.
Francis Kurkdjian made a twist with lavender, and it became a bonbon. Eat one, two would get you sick.
My immortelle remains 1740, the most masculine of the three, more leathery. But the sweetness of this one is very comforting also. I’ll wear 1740 when I feel a bad boy, and Eau Noire or Sables when I am a good boy (not so often, I know!)

CrishoffmanCrishoffman 11 months ago
The arabian gourmand.
ExxellenceExxellence 1 year ago
Sublime lavender.
Elegant, strong, masculine, sophisticated, warm, dark, deep, soft, sweet and bitter.
A true Masterpiece.

by Rivegauche
by Rivegauche
by MrFumejunkie
by MrFumejunkie
Schwarzwasser
by TomLavender

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Parfum) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior