Eau Sauvage 1966 Eau de Toilette

Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Top 43 in Men's Perfume
Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior for men and was released in 1966. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBasilBasil
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
OakmossOakmoss
MuskMusk
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 10.10.2021.

Just good mood^^
I no longer know what I had then 30 years ago for a water 'name' Eau Sauvage, it can only have been the old mixture. The current from today what I bought, is now already used up, almost at least. The less in the bottle is the less I want to consume it.
It's one of those rare elixirs that puts such a smile on my face because it's got such a perfect top note.
Lemon, bergamot, lavender lift my mood within 5 sec^^.
1-2 hrs later it becomes much softer, it becomes something like in a small sea of flowers mixed with patchouli and sandalwood, it could be a bit more dominant.
Unfortunately, it loses too much of its base after 3-5 hrs, but the vetiver and moss are still somewhat present.
I like this Dior a lot...because it always seems like a do-gooder to me.
It's a different Sauvage like in the 80s, but whatever.
Today's one does (almost) everything right, for me.
Except for its H/S... but is probably the price of the present.
He now stands by my (new) oldschool Armani Eau Homme, the 2 of them standing on the same 30 year old staircase laughing about the past and enjoying the here and now despite the adjustment.
They are the heros who preserve in us something no one else can, except the memory of it.
What would this planet be without the scents of this world?
Like music, we can't do without it, ever.

Mfg Ma
Szebo86
(Almost) perfection of a bygone era
This fragrance is truly the epitome of classic craftsmanship. Set back in the sixties, you dive into a wonderful freshness. Lemon, basil and bergamot are omnipresent.
This fragrance has corners and edges, yet never too playful, not too sweet but also in no way boring.

He works every day, in spring and summer... maybe not in the evening, but in sports, but also in a white shirt on a daily beach walk.

If he would last even longer. Then he would be the perfect summer fragrance for me

Hey good looking!
Actually I bought this one for the bottle. To me it’s one of the most successful visualizations of a cologne. Robust, stylish and generous. This one looks amazing in any bathroom interior or, as in my case, on a shelf among my other treasures.

The scent itself is iconic, obviously. Sharp zesty lemon and old school aromatics on a vetiver-moss base. Over the top masculine, something of a few generations ago - which is not at all a bad thing, by the way. Vibrant projection for an hour or two and then gradually fading.

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this genre. This one in particular, I’m not too fond of it and not even going to bother looking for vintage. Nevertheless, I’m happy to have it in my collection, as I said, for the looks.
Salva
Yesterday's revolution is today's great legend....
Dior Eau Sauvage

A fragrance for the soul
A fragrance for the heart
A fragrance for men
A fragrance for lovers of classics

[...]

What would I do without fragrances like you? Yes what would I do without you?

You are the epitome of a classically elegant French gentleman's fragrance.
You are the symbol of perfect elegance.
You are the first fragrance from the house of the great Christian Dior, which was created for men.

You seem so simple, but in truth you are everything else; everything but simple.
You are so noble, distinguished, dignified and sublime that there is simply no way around a collection like mine.

Your initial herbaceous freshness, framed by a subtle aromatic citrus note, and my beloved lavender.
Your incidentally perceivable minimal spicy nuances, which give you a gentle pithy masculinity, without losing your angelic fresh-pure soul.
Your delicate floral tones that write the lightness of being in your face. Your slightly drifting into the green-mossy base, which provides the famous icing on the cake, let me dream...

Dreaming of carefree and uncomplicated times, which there will probably never be so...
But you give me that feeling;
a feeling of freedom, carefree, carefree and independent...

[...]

People grumble about your supposedly weak condition; well, to them I say they don't understand your character, your spirit, and last but not least, your soul.

You were made to be smelled for a good 3-4 hrs. Isn't that enough? Definitely for me! Because I appreciate you and love you just the way you are!

You do not need to scream for attention. Just like a gentleman who has no need to put himself in the center with unnecessary posturing...

You know you're phenomenal;
You know you're brilliant;
You know you're brilliant;
You have a confidence like no other, and are always polite, friendly, courteous and respectful.

You, with your signature aura, are for me one of the very best men's fragrances ever.

You stand as a symbol of good taste and authentic charisma.

You embody everything I identify with.

Dior Eau Sauvage - Yesterday's revolution is today's great legend.

[...]

What do I love fragrances like you...

What do I love you...

A fragrance made for a classic fan and especially lovers of French fragrances like me...

[...]

Thanks for all for reading!
Reformulated to disappointment
Well, my first comment. I actually wanted to save it for THE fragrance. And until yesterday I still thought it was the Eau Sauvage.

How did that come about?

My Eau Sauvage EDT from 2014 ran out yesterday. The bottle has been sitting on my desk since I've been in the home office, which is March 2020. Almost 30 times a day I had to smell the spray. My love for this classic has been sparked.
I've been on an eternal quest for the holy grail since 2010. Tried hundreds of fragrances. Then, a few months ago, I was just tired.
Tired of constantly testing fragrances, buying (often blindly) and selling again after a short time to find HIM.

Today, the ES Extreme arrived in the mail to me. I had hopes that this one would be a more durable replacement for my old EDT's.
In short: total disappointment. 0 similarity.

Then, 2 hours ago, I quickly drove to the perfumery near me, thought to myself then it just stays with the EDT. The one that is now empty, with its classic fresh and mossy way refreshed my last months. Somehow I thought well, so many years testing the craziest scents and who convinced me the most? An oldschooler, a classic that has been popular since the 60s.
I guess it's him then, my signature scent.

Well, thought wrong. Arrived in the car, quickly unpacked and lush sprayed on. Skin as well as sweater. Mh, clearly fresher, somehow only lemon.
10 minutes later at home: Where is he? Hand pressed to the nose...what smells there, the shampoo from this morning or yet ES? Then smelled the sweater. There he is. Very lightly. A shadow of my 2014 version, and that was already very light.
Sillage? Joa, if someone presses his nose on my clothes.

I am completely disappointed. 97€ for 100ml. Since can an aftershave from the supermarket more.
And yes, I know, on the Internet I would have got him for less bills.
But after the disappointment with ES Extreme I wanted him badly.
I don't know if it's the IFRA or the finance department at DIOR, it doesn't matter, I don't enjoy it anymore.

I'm slowly considering selling all my fragrances. I can't seem to find my favorite.

---

If anyone knows of a good alternative, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Donny229
In Grandpa's old perfume cabinet...
Well, where do I start?
I thought, I take me for my first review here on Parfumo times one of my personal favorites.
Last year against May I was looking for a nice summer fragrance that you could have worn for nice walks, or if you wanted to enjoy with friends outside just the sun. By the way, it should be said that I'm someone who likes to watch classic movies, because they usually put more emphasis on the story than on big action and a lot of boom boom ;).
So I went on my search to our local Douglas with some knowledge from Youtube, what would be the top 10 for the summer. There were already a couple with it had done to me, for the time being I had decided then for Versace pour Homme, without knowing that my future at the bottom of the shelf, already almost hidden waiting for me. At home then the typical "Jo guys, how does it smell?". The approval was great and the Versace was already in the shopping cart. On the way to the door I passed an old perfume cabinet from my grandfather, with lots of miniature samples from the 80s. In the past, I wasn't particularly interested in this cabinet, but since I learned about the perfume world, I became a bit curious and took a closer look. Azzaro pour Homme and as expected Dior Eau Sauvage stood out. I already knew Sauvage and therefore my interest was accordingly large, but after the first smell I realized very fast that I held something completely different in the hand...lemony...aromatic...fresh and nevertheless somewhat grassy. Immediately an image came into my head along with the terms Michael Corleone, Sicily in the summer and The Godfather. It was love at first smell and this scent was everything I ever wanted to be. That same day I went back to Douglas and right at the bottom there it was, when it should have been much higher up. Of course, this scent has been reformulated and it definitely doesn't smell as aromatic as my grandpa's, but it's still a beautiful one and for me belongs in any collection young or old. The current version smells very lemony and less aromatic, adapted accordingly for today. It will always have a place in my ever growing collection and I can't wait to unwrap it again this summer. Summery fresh gentleman class in a bottle(which also looks very cool vintage) ;) When my 100ml is coming to an end, I'm sure I'll get the 200ml, if not the 400ml. Oh and Versace pour Homme has bought my brother, he found him horny when I had him on hand :D

-Abstract and rating:
Durability 5/10
- 3-4Std. unfortunately, unfortunately below average and direction cologne, but wat willste make is just a citrus freshman . Wild water triffts. For the summer is enough, just spray a lot and every few hours nachlegen.
Sillage 7/10
- Is 1-1.5 hours well perceptible then he takes off
Fragrance 10/10
- As already said a great! Lemon, spice, class in the bottle, for anyone who wants a gentleman aura :) Smells very natural too, bit like fresh squeezed lemonade with some spicy gin.
Reactions 8/10
-Comes with almost everyone pleasantly, who is looking here but a typical crowdpleaser like all the blue representatives is here perhaps wrong. Rather a personal fragrance and at my age(20) with some self-confidence to wear.
Use 8/10
- Immergeher in the summer, whether in the morning to freshen up, at noon at work or in the evening on a beer with the boys. Nothing for nightly dates or the club (which are eh to :D )
Flacon 10/10
-Sprays top, bull's eye, noble, vintage, class, nothing more to say.

LOVE

The opposite of Beast Mode
When I bought my first bottle of Eau Sauvage, I was disappointed big time. Not because it smelled bad..

It was a 200ml splash bottle, I remember pouring 5ml of it on my arm (first time using a splash LOL, have no clue how to dose). It smelled somewhat of alcohol and citrus, then poof, it's gone. I have to literally put my nose right next to it to smell anything. I was like, WTF did I just spend 129 bucks on? It was a quite frustrating experience and I burned through the bottle within 2 weeks. Thinking to myself, never again I will buy a bottle, this is pure scam for Dior to sell me something that doesn't feel like anything.

Fast forward for about a year. I did buy my second bottle, this time it's a spray. And I have come to a point where a fragrance' performance doesn't bother me too much anymore. Olfactory fatigue could have played a big part in my experience with my first bottle, I mean, it's like 5ml that I was applying everytime and I applied a lot of times in a day LOL.

Something so intriguing about it, and no other fragrance can make me feel that way. It's subtle and diffusive aroma sometimes keeps me guessing every time I wear it.
As for the scent itself, it is truly a heavenly perfection. I have never come across a scent that is as universally appealing as this. I think men and women can wear it.

Eau Sauvage, to me, makes me feel like a man. I be wearing this for my wedding day for sure
Wonderful
Lovely. That word comes to mind every time I apply eau sauvage. This refreshing lemon mixed with something tart and woody is great cinema. Will always remain one of my top favourites After my first bottle I also had the perfume version, which I found good but not as good as the EdT. So I bought the EdT again. This has more pepp

Syed
Iconic Fragrance # 1 : Christian Dior - Eau Sauvage ( 1966 ) : Dior's Finest and Biggest Moment in Men's Fragrances
Year of Release: 1966
Perfumer: Edmond Roudnitska
Overall Perfume Notes : Bergamot, Lemon, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Oakmoss and Musk
Type: Fresh / Citrusy
Season: Spring - Summer
Occassion: Leisure / Daily / Business
Audience: Unmistakably Masculine

There have been definitive moments throughout history without which the progression of art as a medium seems inconcievable.

Within the limited sphere of art, filled with achievements and miracles, can one imagine classical music without Beethoven's Ninth and Mozart's Requiem, fiction without Joyce's Ulysses, movies without Orson Welles's Citizen Kane, Jazz without Miles Davis, On The Waterfront without Brando, etc the answer simply put is NO.

While mentioning these brightest sparks it should be noted that we are still only brushing the dust at the periphery.

The world is filled with such graceful and humbling achievements as mentioned above, and one such mesmerizing achievement to honor the world of perfumery is credited to the house of Dior, in the shape and essence of Eau Sauvage released in 1966. A truly groundbreaking fragrance.

If there ever was a pre-diluvean and ante-diluvean period in the history of modern perfumery it was the birth of Eau Sauvage.

Eau Sauvage quite simply opened and broadened the horizons for modern perfumers to experiment and innovate with the traditional structure of the cologne. Every new step in the evolution of this sacred territory is a step towards a tribute to this masterpiece. Comparisons cannot be helped. Such is the shadow casted by this giant.

A similar comparison In music can be the last bang of the piano note heard and felt in A Day In The Life by The Beatles, which catapulted modern music into unchartered territories but could never bettered.

The era of 60s was one filled with spontaneity, and what better time for an idea to be brought forth into this world than 1966, when Dior was looking for their first men's fragrance.

The herculean task was passed onto Edmond Roudnitska. Roudnitska decided to experiment with the traditional structure of the cologne by adding the much needed spicy-ness of lavender and rosemary on a masculine woody base.

The perfume opens with a citrus blast and I also a pick up a fresh lemon peel nuance in it, followed by fruity sweetness.

This opening then gives way to a solid, clean creamy sandalwood aura, which eventually transforms into a musky and oakmoss finish in the end.

On the face of it, the smell may look pretty linear, but it is still a pretty complex mixture of rebellious notes and design all gelled together with a slight headiness of 'Hedione', the jasmine based extract.

Yes, the controversial note which gives this scent its often touted sexual angle and charisma (the use is less than 3%).

It might even be the first iconic and commercial men's fragrance to use this synthetic.

There is an interesting story behind its iconic name as well.

The name of the fragrance is reputedly the result of a late arrival by Christian Dior's friend Percy Savage to Dior's home.

Dior had asked Savage to help find a name for a perfume for men. When Savage arrived, he was announced by Dior's butler as "Monsieur Sauvage"; the designer decided that "Oh, Sauvage" would be a fitting name, and the rest is history.

But this review would not do full justice to the uniqueness of this perfume if one didn't pay attention to its bottle design by Pierre Dinand.

I have felt on countless occasions the need to use this this fragrance, by just one look at the bottle, as it exudes class sophistication and uniqueness like any great piece of art.

Compare this feeling to picking up a classic book to read by just a look at its cover as it invites you in its own world.

The concise nature of the flacon and its design deems it a necessary object to be carried with oneself everywhere on the move, like a basic amenity of sorts, and this is also one of the facets of its power and greatness.

Dior created a fashion piece, a statement of sorts and made it an essential part of men's vogue and grooming without which it would become difficult for men to vouch for their masculinity and flaunt it. one just has look at its iconic ad campaigns, which portrays an animated nude man partially clad in a thin towel, holding onto an Eau Sauvage bottle as if his very life depended on it.

To end it all, Alain Delon was chosen as the face of the campaign.

As in the case of masterpieces everything ties and fits together in the concept that is Eau Sauvage.

My only humble qualm in an other wise imperfect design is the performance and sillage, which strictly speaking is average at most. Probably because of modern batches and reformulations. In my experience with this fragrance the aura of the smell lingers not more than 5 - 6 hours and projection after the first 30 - 40 minutes is nothing more than a skin scent.

These are some otherwise minor qualms in an other wise groundbreaking and genre defining fragrance, that changed the face of citrus based scents to come after it.

The Holy Grail of perfumes, any collector's collection is fatally empty without this one, grab onto it, latch onto it, if only to say that you have what it takes to be a true perfume enthusiast.

Rating : A-
Classics with lead time
Years ago there was a miniature Eau Sauvage in our bathroom. Nobody used it because my dad doesn't wear perfume. And Mom and I thought he was too masculine. One day I sold it on eBay. Too much lavender, too much old-fashioned, too much manly stuff... too much manly stuff... I couldn't even think of wearing it. It took a little work on the perfume. And especially growing into classic scents. These days, they're my favourite. And also Eau Sauvage is now back in the collection.

If you like to wear classic colognes, but would like a little more durability, this is a good choice. The top note is very characteristically citric, bergamot. And also already with a lot of lavender. I perceive it most strongly through the course of the fragrance. With time, first carnation, then a little rose, patchouli and sandalwood, but only subtly.

The oakmoss veneer base then takes a long time. More than you might think. We really have a cologne scent with the strength of an EDT and the durability of an EDP.

Eau Sauvage seems to have fallen out of time. I have not yet noticed the form and presence of lavender and carnation in current fragrances. However, I no longer perceive it as masculine as I used to. For me it is simply a harsh unisex scent. Whoever would have it similar but a bit softer and sweeter, go for Annick Goutal's Eau du Sud. However, it is not so durable either.

I think the variation I have is relatively recent. Unfortunately I can't say anything about Vintge

JayNayJayNay 23 days ago
1st impression. Very similar to Monsieur de Givenchy. Except it’s about twice the price if shopped at perfume discounters. It’s good though
50something50something 4 months ago
This is the best fragrance in my entire collection. Nothing surpasses it, not even close. Just respray, respray. 10/10
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
This old school classic starts with a fresh lemon with a bit of lavender and cumin. Then the fresh vetiver rounded with sandalwood and musk.
SyedSyed 1 year ago
The most iconic men's fragrance ever. Unparalleled class and sophistication.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
A fresh citrusy landmark helas surpassed by the recent Sauvage Parfum. I just wore it too much when I was younger and got a bit bored of it.
KingPinKingPin 2 years ago
Old school stuff. To me it’s a scent for over 60 years olds.
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
After the first blush of bergamot and hedione comes its insolent lavender; and from a barbershop, it becomes, as it were chypre. Not my kind
Mike1337Mike1337 3 years ago
very strong lemon even lemon zest. not my kind of thing.
AkuninAkunin 3 years ago
Old school classic . Don't know anyone who doesn't like this. But poor rerformance...

by Entenradio
by Ginger
by Rasierwasser
by Rasierwasser
by Minea
Passt auch zur Lederjacke ;)
by Parma
by TomDuft
by TomDuft
by Brelles530
by Brelles530
Ferienwohnung mit Bad im Originalzustand von 1978. Entsetzen weicht Entzückung, je länger ich es sehe :D
by Fabistinkt
by M3000
by M3000
by Taurus1967
by Taurus1967
Eau Sauvage EdT (Vintage)
by Psb
by Digindirt
by Rodin
by Rodin

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Parfum) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior