Eau Sauvage (1966)Eau de Toilette

Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand

Top 31 in Men's Perfume
Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior for men and was released in 1966. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBasil, Bergamot, Fruity notes, Cumin, Rosemary, Lemon, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Orris root, Jasmine, Coriander, Patchouli, Rose, Sandalwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.05.2020.

Syed
Iconic Fragrance # 1 : Christian Dior - Eau Sauvage ( 1966 ) : Dior's Finest and Biggest Moment in Men's Fragrances
Year of Release: 1966
Perfumer: Edmond Roudnitska
Overall Perfume Notes : Bergamot, Lemon, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Oakmoss and Musk
Type: Fresh / Citrusy
Season: Spring - Summer
Occassion: Leisure / Daily / Business
Audience: Unmistakably Masculine

There have been definitive moments throughout history without which the progression of art as a medium seems inconcievable.

Within the limited sphere of art, filled with achievements and miracles, can one imagine classical music without Beethoven's Ninth and Mozart's Requiem, fiction without Joyce's Ulysses, movies without Orson Welles's Citizen Kane, Jazz without Miles Davis, On The Waterfront without Brando, etc the answer simply put is NO.

While mentioning these brightest sparks it should be noted that we are still only brushing the dust at the periphery.

The world is filled with such graceful and humbling achievements as mentioned above, and one such mesmerizing achievement to honor the world of perfumery is credited to the house of Dior, in the shape and essence of Eau Sauvage released in 1966. A truly groundbreaking fragrance.

If there ever was a pre-diluvean and ante-diluvean period in the history of modern perfumery it was the birth of Eau Sauvage.

Eau Sauvage quite simply opened and broadened the horizons for modern perfumers to experiment and innovate with the traditional structure of the cologne. Every new step in the evolution of this sacred territory is a step towards a tribute to this masterpiece. Comparisons cannot be helped. Such is the shadow casted by this giant.

A similar comparison In music can be the last bang of the piano note heard and felt in A Day In The Life by The Beatles, which catapulted modern music into unchartered territories but could never bettered.

The era of 60s was one filled with spontaneity, and what better time for an idea to be brought forth into this world than 1966, when Dior was looking for their first men's fragrance.

The herculean task was passed onto Edmond Roudnitska. Roudnitska decided to experiment with the traditional structure of the cologne by adding the much needed spicy-ness of lavender and rosemary on a masculine woody base.

The perfume opens with a citrus blast and I also a pick up a fresh lemon peel nuance in it, followed by fruity sweetness.

This opening then gives way to a solid, clean creamy sandalwood aura, which eventually transforms into a musky and oakmoss finish in the end.

On the face of it, the smell may look pretty linear, but it is still a pretty complex mixture of rebellious notes and design all gelled together with a slight headiness of 'Hedione', the jasmine based extract.

Yes, the controversial note which gives this scent its often touted sexual angle and charisma (the use is less than 3%).

It might even be the first iconic and commercial men's fragrance to use this synthetic.

There is an interesting story behind its iconic name as well.

The name of the fragrance is reputedly the result of a late arrival by Christian Dior's friend Percy Savage to Dior's home.

Dior had asked Savage to help find a name for a perfume for men. When Savage arrived, he was announced by Dior's butler as "Monsieur Sauvage"; the designer decided that "Oh, Sauvage" would be a fitting name, and the rest is history.

But this review would not do full justice to the uniqueness of this perfume if one didn't pay attention to its bottle design by Pierre Dinand.

I have felt on countless occasions the need to use this this fragrance, by just one look at the bottle, as it exudes class sophistication and uniqueness like any great piece of art.

Compare this feeling to picking up a classic book to read by just a look at its cover as it invites you in its own world.

The concise nature of the flacon and its design deems it a necessary object to be carried with oneself everywhere on the move, like a basic amenity of sorts, and this is also one of the facets of its power and greatness.

Dior created a fashion piece, a statement of sorts and made it an essential part of men's vogue and grooming without which it would become difficult for men to vouch for their masculinity and flaunt it. one just has look at its iconic ad campaigns, which portrays an animated nude man partially clad in a thin towel, holding onto an Eau Sauvage bottle as if his very life depended on it.

To end it all, Alain Delon was chosen as the face of the campaign.

As in the case of masterpieces everything ties and fits together in the concept that is Eau Sauvage.

My only humble qualm in an other wise imperfect design is the performance and sillage, which strictly speaking is average at most. Probably because of modern batches and reformulations. In my experience with this fragrance the aura of the smell lingers not more than 5 - 6 hours and projection after the first 30 - 40 minutes is nothing more than a skin scent.

These are some otherwise minor qualms in an other wise groundbreaking and genre defining fragrance, that changed the face of citrus based scents to come after it.

The Holy Grail of perfumes, any collector's collection is fatally empty without this one, grab onto it, latch onto it, if only to say that you have what it takes to be a true perfume enthusiast.

Rating : A-

WORST Value of Money as of Today's formulation
Is it because my nose is burned out from wearing fragrances? I can't detect it from more than 10cm away and I got mine straight from Dior's website so it can't be a fake. Gosh, the price to performance ratio is so so bad. However, I do enjoy the scent quite a lot I just wish it performs.

Intially it strikes me as a uber classic masculine scent. There are some spices in this gem that makes it very refreshing. The blend of lavender, rosemary and basil is superb in complementing the prominent lemon note.

I really do enjoy this classic by Dior but I won't be repurchasing this again. Next time I'll go for the parfum version because this thing is a joke of a performer on my skin.
Top,
Very fresh and bitter lemon perfectly mixed with rosemary and basil. It's the embodiment of a perfect summer day
Mid,
You can smell the florals, to my nose, carnation and jasmine and prominent.
Base,
You can smell the Sandalwood and sweet amber.

Scentwise, this gotta be one of the best men's offerings.
Performance wise, I want to give a huge middle finger to CD for wasting my money in this "Eau de Cologne Ultra Light" concentration
Classics with lead time
Years ago there was a miniature Eau Sauvage in our bathroom. Nobody used it because my dad doesn't wear perfume. And Mom and I thought he was too masculine. One day I sold it on eBay. Too much lavender, too much old-fashioned, too much manly stuff... too much manly stuff... I couldn't even think of wearing it. It took a little work on the perfume. And especially growing into classic scents. These days, they're my favourite. And also Eau Sauvage is now back in the collection.

If you like to wear classic colognes, but would like a little more durability, this is a good choice. The top note is very characteristically citric, bergamot. And also already with a lot of lavender. I perceive it most strongly through the course of the fragrance. With time, first carnation, then a little rose, patchouli and sandalwood, but only subtly.

The oakmoss veneer base then takes a long time. More than you might think. We really have a cologne scent with the strength of an EDT and the durability of an EDP.

Eau Sauvage seems to have fallen out of time. I have not yet noticed the form and presence of lavender and carnation in current fragrances. However, I no longer perceive it as masculine as I used to. For me it is simply a harsh unisex scent. Whoever would have it similar but a bit softer and sweeter, go for Annick Goutal's Eau du Sud. However, it is not so durable either.

I think the variation I have is relatively recent. Unfortunately I can't say anything about Vintge
Byronia
About the happiness of ignorance
After Eau Sauvage Parfum 2012 and 2017, the 1966 perfume will finally follow, albeit 50 years later, 53 years to be exact. Like a cat, I approached Eau Sauvage. Always a little bit closer. And the other day (again in Venlo), I sprayed him on one arm. Already on the return trip my olfactory instinct seized me again and again and forced me to sniff my arm. It was getting better and better... I liked the smell of him. In its lightness, but also in its progressive elegance.

I also know a few vintage fragrances, MustdeCartier, Kouros, Eau Sauvage Extreme, and they all have the opulence of the 80s. A friend would say, "it makes me want to cry." But should I weep for the past? NO. And for the first time, I was glad not to know the vintage version, but to discover Eau Sauvage as "virgin" for me. And the good thing is that the fragrance coordinates with my skin in an "endless loop", it lasts and lasts and lasts. What stinks with others, a friend, smells inimitably with you. That's why she gave me Dioressence, of which I also have a vintage version and a newer one.

Now the wild water comes over me in its pure version and it delights me beyond all measure. Well, it doesn't affect me, but it puts a smile on my face... that's what perfumes are for. Enchant you, take you to another world. And that's why I often close my eyes when I smell and let my inner images arise...

Did I say it before? I love scents and now I love Eau Sauvage!

Edmond
Luckily, she had almost an hour before the movie started. They were
right in front of the cinema and she definitely wanted to be the first da
be. He shouldn't have to wait for her. These games after the
Motto "Men always have to wait a little" were
just embarrassing.
She decided to take a little detour through the park. It was yes
still plenty of time and she would still get a bit on a bank
into the late afternoon sun. Too much sleep she had the last
Night not had.
Just behind the Apollo fountain, she found a bank she liked. The View
went far over the lawns to the groups of trees, behind which
the silhouette of the city lay in the haze of early September evening.
She closed her eyes and enjoyed the last soft warm sunbeams.
That's how sweet they felt. She felt the tiredness that came over her
like a soft blanket. Her thoughts became wide and hazy.

Then all of a sudden she heard footsteps on the gravel path.
She opened her eyes.
An elderly gentleman with walking stick came of the way, accompanied by a
small, shaggy dog.
But before she saw him, she smelled him. There was no doubt -
he was wearing Eau Sauvage. She wasn't surprised at all that her nose
was so sensitive, although she knew that the fragrance was not actually
very far radiating.
She knew the perfume well. She had it even a few years ago times
a bottle, but then somehow forgotten.
At that moment it seemed almost incomprehensible to her. The older one
Lord was now standing right in front of her, somehow the whole
went from him Orchestra of the fragrance at the same time. The fresh, natural lemony,
yellow opening, this wonderfully green dewdrop herbiness,
the woody-moossy appearing behind it with an almost pain-
dry, very delicate bitter note. All together as one
Sound that seemed completely timeless and at the same time calming and
...made me happy.
The Lord kept silent and only smiled at her.
She felt she had to say something.
"You...You smell so good!" she finally brought out.
"I didn't want to express much with this scent - just something,
which I found was too neglected..." said the Lord.
"So you, you have..."
"Just call me Edmond, my dear. What I really
that was basically simplicity. Only in her
with a little luck you may find the most valuable -
poetry. Because she is a little shy and above all - wild.
Très sauvage."
"I understand..."
"Ever since I've been on the other side, they've had a lot to do with it-
doctored. But somehow, as by a miracle, the secret is
never completely lost..."
"But... why can't you just walk around when
You actually..." She immediately felt that she was about to,
something wrong to say.
"I'm just a little strange man, my dear. I can
some weird things... Look, if I'm now with the
Fingers snap, all people everywhere in the world will
be completely happy for a moment."
He snapped his fingers.
She took a deep breath.
"It's over..." Edmond said. "I'm a little tired now.
But you may have noticed that you are just from the simple
Learn something from things... for example from the bank on which
They sit..."
She stroked her hand over the white lacquered wood.
"You want to be rich," the bank said. "Why aren't you?"
Edmond smiled. "I have to go on now..."
Then the little shaggy dog came out of the bushes
and plucked his trouser legs.
"It's all right," Edmond said and knocked his fur out.
Then he reached into his coat pocket and took something out.
Over her head he opened his hand and left many fine
grated pieces of lemon zest trickle down on them.
"Voila..." he said.
Then he set off again.

After a few meters he turned around again.
"Remember," he shouted, "forever lasts the longest."
She stretched out comfortably - and woke up. Solar heat and
the fatigue had simply been too strong.
Suddenly the date came back to her mind. She looked at her
Wristwatch - it was just before half past seven.
She hurried away - she didn't want to run.

When she arrived at the cinema, he stood in front of the showcases and saw the
the pictures an.
She gently tapped him on the shoulder.
"I'm so sorry... have you been waiting..." "
"Come on, a minute maybe..."
"I was actually super early, but then..." she said, "then I'm..."
He interrupted them. "What have you got there...?"
He reached into her hair and took something out.
"Strange little yellow things..." he said and sniffed at them.
"Smell of lemon."
All time favourite
I had Eau Sauvage even before I was infected by the perfume virus.
It's about as old as me and in my nose it's just perfect.
Although it embodies "old school", I don't think younger people can't fit this great fragrance.
However, I also think that it is only suitable for carriers who have a certain understanding of sublimes,
who always needs it "on the twelve" is not advised.

The individual fragrance components have described my prescribers in detail and well, so that I don't have to add any further details at this point.

However, I would like to mention that for me the lemon in the beginning cannot be compared with the pure lemon à la "Allure Homme Édition blanche" or "Lemon Line" from Mancera. Here it is already so well integrated into the other components of the top note that it seems less pure and therefore much more interesting and tastier for me. The whole composition, the course and the dry down is in my perception the embodiment of fragrance par excellence.
Elegant, light and yet very perceptible, fresh and noble. But clearly masculine and yet I am not surprised about the 7.5% female owners.

The fragrance always works for me, regardless of the time of day, season, mood or occasion.
Of course the EDT is rather spring and summer and of course you would like to have a bigger Sillage three hours after the application. But the EDT won't give that away. For me the performance of a fragrance always plays a role, only here I like to make an exception. The performance is appropriate for an EDT, but could of course be better independently. But the scent's awesome, whatever. My last bottle came surprisingly as a pouring bottle, one more reason to carry a pocket sprayer if it is to be Eau Sauvage on that day.

At this point it should be mentioned that Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) has a sillage and durability on my skin like almost no other perfume. I love it too, but it's a pretty different fragrance that just shares the citric main theme.

So newcomers and younger vintages: an absolute recommendation from me, if you like it fresh and spicy.
This is elegant and absolutely timeless.
SchatzSucher
The scent really can't help it
that unfortunately I don't like it.

Oh dear, now I'm dealing you a popular fragrance classic...

I have owned Eau Sauvage for some time and have tried again and again to make friends with him.
But either I was too stubborn or the smell. We could not find each other despite many efforts.

Citric, fresh, green, a bit herbaceous, that's actually something for me. Especially now in the summertime such a combination makes itself very good.
But I failed at Eau Sauvage. Citric fragrances always give a cheerful and cheerful impression, sunny and positive But Eau Sauvage seems serious, strict, almost gloomy to me. What happened there?
I have to tell you that I only know the current version and I never met Eau Sauvage before.
I've read a lot about it and the fragrance seems to have been properly reformulated. In this case, you could even better say "deformed." as has already been beautifully said below.
That could explain some things.
I perceive lemon and bergamot at the beginning, with herbal and spicy accompaniments, but already then it doesn't seem cheerful and cheerful to me. The lemon has probably not been ripe yet and does not really work against the bitter herbs.
The flowery accents unfortunately do not lighten the severity, come out very dimmed and in the base the seriousness is accentuated again by a strong shot of oakmoss. Of cheerfulness unfortunately no trace.

As much as I like to acknowledge that it is a really well made fragrance, I don't feel comfortable with it at all. I have worn Eau Sauvage on different occasions and seasons but we do not fit together. He disturbed me again and again with his lack of happiness and then I gave it up.
Added to this are the not exactly outstanding durability and projection. I don't know if it was better in earlier versions. In any case, the scent quickly withdraws into itself.
Within one hour he will be very close and after another 3 hours is as good as finish.
This is also a pity for a fragrance that has the house Dior as its origin.
Many may see it now probably also completely differently and say "Nope, that's not true at all"
But these are my subjective impressions and feelings. Of course I can't judge the whole thing professionally.

He may have been rightly on the market since 1966 and still sell well, he has his loyal fans and that's a good thing. Fragrances can not please everyone and one may say also calmly times no.
I say no to Eau Sauvage and now he moves out with me again. I'm happy when I can make someone happy with him. Because to just let stand around in the closet it's really too bad.
And like I said, it's not my fault that I don't like the scent.
Landlord
No invitation to the common birthday
It's funny that I'm only testing this classic from my birth year now. Perhaps I have so far made a wide arc around him, fearing that I might not like him. Because sooooo many 1966 fragrances are finally no longer available - and then also from the pen of master Roudnitska! How nice it would be to feel the need to add it to my collection for nostalgic reasons alone... hach...

But no, my dear "Eau Sauvage", unfortunately my nose does not feel like nostalgia in your case! Well, yes, a nice, lemony opening, underlaid with slightly powdery notes which initially could not be determined more closely... a little lavender and clovery... softening in the course of time, but after three hours already considerably diminishing and becoming very close until you say goodbye slightly sweetly after about five hours - and leave me somewhat perplexed whether the classic qualities that I am now not able to open up at all... Or have the reformulations so much deformed you and you have fallen victim to the severe restrictions on the use of oakmoss?

Be that as it may, you are a quite "tidy" fragrance, yes, and certainly in the context of time to pay homage to as the first Dior men's perfume that has apparently inspired many other fragrances. Goutal's "Eau du Sud" from `97 is immediately in my nose, but in my opinion it is more striking, more charming and surprisingly more durable - at least on my skin.

After all, the test of the "original" animated me to put the EdP from 2017, which is much praised here, on my watch list. From the EdC of the same name I advise to leave your fingers completely, unless you like synthetic-grassy Wühltisch quality.

Enough "thirsty" now, you dear Eau Sauvage fans. Keep enjoying your favorite, I would have loved to join your club... But at least the graphic advertising video for the 50th birthday (see above) is really cool and very nice to look at..

Simple Perfection
Dior Eau Sauvage is the reason I am fascinated with perfumes. No other perfume has left me so transfixed by the beauty and simplicity of its composition. I did not know a thing about fragrance when I first smelt it, yet I knew this classy flacon contained something very special and that it had to be the first perfume I would ever buy.

What was so exceptional with this particular fragrance was the clarity of the composition, which instantly made perfect intellectual sense to my naive and inexperienced nose. All credit to Edmond Roudnitska. Since then it has become my gold standard of artistic execution. Whilst I have smelt many other fragrances since that epiphany and have begun an olfactory journey through the realm of perfumery, I never cease to be amazed by the effect the fragrance has on me. Illumination. Needless to say, it has become my signature fragrance and a part of me.

Next year, Dior’s Eau Sauvage celebrates its 50th anniversary of legendary status in the perfume industry, that is of course if Dior refrains from killing its brand with the cheap flankers that continue to hit the market (whilst the Parfum version form 2012 was a great success, 2015’s Eau Sauvage Cologne was a bland and uninspired citrus, which had nothing to do with the original).

It is rumoured that a new flanker: “Dior Sauvage” is to hit the market in September 2015 with Johnny Depp’s face for the marketing; I must admit that whilst I am sceptical of Dior’s new tactics of aggressive marketing of flankers, I am intrigued by the idea of Francois Demanchy signing a Parfum version (I’m guessing given the name “Sauvage”), which hopefully respects the spirit and character of Roudnitska’s original chypre.

Whatever the future of this fragrance, I will always cherish a bottle (or two) in my collection as a reminder of the beginning of a journey and the companion of this adventure which has lead me into unchartered territory I never thought I would explore.

Thank you Edmond Roudnitska.

Avoirdupois
A very strong, heavy-duty fresh, citrus eau de cologne
Eau Sauvage is quite a powerhouse of an eau de cologne, coming on strong with a real lemony top that has a nippy sting in it. The impression is that it is something special... and indeed it is, as it develops into so much more.

A few minutes after application, Eau Sauvage becomes spicier, deeper, with a hint of wood and maybe a little fruit. Wonderful combination that carries on and on, through to the clean, aquatic, green, woody and mildly musky finish.

Yes, I like this one very much and could wear it day and night, but I'm too capricious to remain faithful, even to this outstanding fragrance. Both sillage and longevity are far above average.

May I add that I don't think this is the absolute tops in men's cologne; right now, I would put it in my top ten, perhaps around 6 or 7. It is distinctly masculine -- I do not envision its use by the ladies, young or old, other than by a vivacious, high-risk, adventurous female!

Eau Sauvage is a legend: it deserves to be. Long may it live and thrive.

SyedSyed 24 days ago
The most iconic men's fragrance ever. Unparalleled class and sophistication.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 138 days ago
A fresh citrusy landmark helas surpassed by the recent Sauvage Parfum. I just wore it too much when I was younger and got a bit bored of it.
KingPinKingPin 11 months ago
Old school stuff. To me it’s a scent for over 60 years olds.
ElysiumElysium 13 months ago
After the first blush of bergamot and hedione comes its insolent lavender; and from a barbershop, it becomes, as it were chypre. Not my kind
Mike1337Mike1337 17 months ago
very strong lemon even lemon zest. not my kind of thing.
AkuninAkunin 2 years ago
Old school classic . Don't know anyone who doesn't like this. But poor rerformance...

by EauMySoul
by EauMySoul
by Ginger
by Ginger
by Rasierwasser
by Rasierwasser
Passt auch zur Lederjacke ;)
by Parma
by Bulentbc
by Bulentbc
by TomDuft
by TomDuft
Ferienwohnung mit Bad im Originalzustand von 1978. Entsetzen weicht Entzückung, je länger ich es sehe :D
by Fabistinkt
by M3000
by M3000
by Taurus1967
by Taurus1967
Eau Sauvage EdT (Vintage)
by Psb
by Acamara
by Digindirt
by Digindirt

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Hypnotic Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior