L'Eau par Dior: Sauvage, Extrême and Concentrée since 1982
It's one rare pleasure to review an old timer like this one. I have been lucky enough to find this rare gem in one of my supliers and for a sale price. I hope it will last for a few years because I will be very stingy with its use.
This perfume is somewhat complex, just the way I like it!
The opening consists mainly of minty floral citrus with a long lasting lavender; the heart proposes you spicy camphorous woods, together with aldehydes; the base makes you notice bitter somber woods, with hints of amber, patchouli and musk.
Comparing it with the original or with the reissued Eau Sauvage, the vintage "Extrême Concentrée" version opens with a bit less citrus and freshness. You may experience a stronger lavender and rosemary notes with some sweetness and a bit of patchouli. At this stage, you may faintly compare it either with "Acqua di Parma Colonia" or Guerlain's "Eau de Cologne du Coq" style of fragrance, but it is woodier, stronger and manlier than both.
As the fragrance develops, you notice that the original "Eau Sauvage" herbal scent is present together with persistent citrus and lavender notes. You can really smell the rosemary and basil together with a mossy and woody strong vibe. The original "Eau Sauvage" DNA is easily recognizable.
At the development end and in the drydown, the global scent is more woody and resinous. It does have a slightly better performance than the 1966 "Eau Sauvage" original, and can be assumed as a more masculine concentration flanker.
In summary you do face a stronger, woodier and mossier Eau Sauvage. Although I like the original scent, I do prefer this one for being more complex, woodier, manlier and denser. The performance is "enough" for this type of scent, beating the original Eau Sauvage from 1966, and clearly defeating the last reformulation that I believe took place in 2012 (I am not sure if this date is correct).
The "Eau Sauvage Extrême" (2010 edition) it's very good and by current trends can be considered as a more modern version of the "Eau Sauvage Extrême Concentrée". Of course it appeals to the younger ones, but distinct classy mature people do not go clubbing all the time; the age concept does not apply to them. So in my opinion it's not as glamorous, classy and performant as it is the vintage version.
The two "Parfum" editions of 2012 and 2017 are outstanding perfumes as well. In my opinion they must be considered as new (and more modern) fragrances and not anylonger flankers of the original "Dior Eau Sauvage" EdT 1966 edition.
Dior's Eau Sauvage Extrême Concentrée is super classy, manly and almost intoxicant. It's a magnificent pair for an Armani suit, with a Ferragamo silk tie or a Burberry cashmere scarf. Please flirt with your loved one, and toast with two glasses of Veuve Clicquot Reserve. Life is too short not to be fully lived and perfumed with Dior's Eau Sauvage Extrême Concentrée.
It would be unfair not to let this gem run through some math ratings:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Scent opening............9.0 (lovely citrus/lavender opening spiced by rosemary)
- Scent Dry Down.........9.5 (alluring fresh ambery woody and mossy drydown)
- Longevity....................7.5 (up to 6 hours on my skin, with 3 sprays, above average for this type of scent)
- Sillage..........................7.0 (sillage peak up to 4 feet; projection for 2 hours)
- Versatility....................9.5 (Just avoid extreme cold weather)
- Usability......................9.0 (very good for the office, daily use, night out, "going to the Club", events, ...)
- Compliments..............8.5 (it will get you many compliments because you smell sexy, elegant and respectable)
- Uniqueness.................9.0 (It shares DNA with other Dior's "Eau Sauvage")
- Quality........................10.0 (faultless)
- Presentation............... - (not considered as my flask is close to 30 years old, although in mint condition)
- Price.............................8.5 (€50 for 100 ml non tester, but it has been a special friendly price for me)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;
Opinion on "Eau Sauvage Extrême Concentrée 1982 vintage edition ":
For me this is the Dior men fragrance I like the most.
Blind buy worthy? Yes! ... but it will be hard to find a bottle anywhere.
Music: Aznavour's "Dance in the old fashion way".