Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017

Version from 2017
Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior
Top 50 in Men's Perfume
Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) is a popular perfume by Dior for men and was released in 2017. The scent is citrusy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesCalabrian bergamotCalabrian bergamot
Philippine elemiPhilippine elemi
LabdanumLabdanum
Star aniseStar anise
CinnamonCinnamon

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.10.2021.

N471v3
James Bond: Everyone's. Absolute. Terminus.
I don't know how many times I'm going to ask you to fight...

There's really no point anymore!

You're always one step ahead of me, no matter how much I think I've figured out how to beat you now.
Too strong, too unpredictable, and so full of yourself that in the end you don't even care if I like you or not.

You, my dear Eau Sauvage Perfume (2017), don't even really fit into a fragrance category for me!

You may be freshly shaved, walking out of the house like a really well-groomed dandy. But for a barbershop, you're way too erotic, sensual, and demanding. Too much of a statement. Barbershop is super-cool, somewhat indifferent, neutral... that's certainly not you!
You just know what you want ;)

A classic Fougére you are probably also not, with green fern you do not even plug the pipe.

No, you're James Bond, but fallen into an elixir that makes you immortal, in addition to your already existing invulnerability.

You come out of a fight with three people who all regret meeting you, straighten your bow tie with the beginnings of a silly grin, and wring your neck before going back to the dinner party and letting the lady in red convince you to follow her to her room
You don't need it... you're used to that kind of attention.
But you accept the invitation, of course, even though you KNOW that she intends to rob you of more than just your senses...! You relish this challenge, this surprise. The unknown.

James Bond is only describable by himself:
Somewhat oldschool, classic, but at the same time timeless. A paradox! His charm pulls even now, with each generation, throughout. He does not have to, he can, and then he does when he wants. And exactly then!

You shouldn't expect to be able to change him, because in the process of trying to do that, he leads you around by the nose and you change yourself. For him.

To the fragrance.
Eau Sauvage perfume is green, sweet, woody, fresh, floral. Let's say, as a base slightly Fougére. But then it has such a yellow glow, like an ethereal sphere radiating from the center, an olfactory sun. With a sweetness that reminds more of a lavender field, than of vanilla, cinnamon or anything gourmandiges or edible.

Thus, the specified heart notes of lavender, hedion and wildflowers really map the feeling well.

I briefly quote a description:
"This unforced intense, fresh Eau Sauvage perfume sublimates a timeless signature scent full of sunshine with seductive, warm accents."
Yes, warm, sunny, it's all true.... but seductive to the same degree that it repels, I find.

Because unfortunately the sweetness is a bit off-putting for me, I fear lavender and the elemi resin spoil it for me.

If there are other fragrances of this punch, of this counterplay of attractive and repulsive,- then Chanel Egoisté is probably one of them! However, Egoisté is so much more modern, accessible, and just more pleasant to wear for me.
And the thing that nudges you away from it a bit is somehow more interesting and challenging, than really off-putting. More so nudging back, sensationalizing.

I'll continue quoting for a moment.
"François Demachy slightly altered the scent trail of the perfume version of DIOR's Eau Sauvage, adding freshness to its aromatic intensity with the warmth of the Provençal sun."

In a field in Provance, with lavender, wildflowers, and in the midst of it James Bond lies with his Walter PPK, catching his breath for a moment.
His sweat disperses his aftershave into the air even more than usual, combined and amplified with the sweet smell of his sweat.

Yes, that's exactly the picture that presents itself to me, these two worlds meeting here.

I can't rate this fragrance badly because I recognize the artwork in it, and know it must exist.

Wear I can him but also hardly, I just do not have enough class. Must also be able to say times...

And as I said, it spoils me the resinous sweetness, it has then yet echoes of old man aftershave, without being fresh and light enough, and to cushion the weight a little.

Whew, that was probably a bit underhanded now, I must apologise, Mr Bond. I didn't mean to be tactless, of course!

Your silver Aston Martin with new equipment and mission order is already in the garage, on to the next mission!

ScentGrail
The best vetiver-based perfume on the market
I admit. After I had finished my 2012 bottle of the original version, my expectations we kinda mixed about Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017, and that was even before it was delivered to me.

The fragrance is received very well on one of the most popular fragrance websites, but there is a general consensus about how the new and the only version now has been freshened up and lost its prior staying power and projection.

But, Dior is Dior, and they rarely destroy their pillar fragrances with reformulations, and so is the case with the newest formulation of legendary Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum.

Here are my 5 quick takes:

- The best vetiver-based fragrance of all time
- A citrus aromatic fragrance with great longevity
- Created by Francois Demachy in 2017
- One of the best all year round signature-worthy perfumes of all time
- It works the best on a more mature and serious audience

In the end, you can’t go wrong with Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017. This flanker and all the other reinterpretations of Eau Sauvage are everything a modern man would want from a masterful work perfume.

One thing that separates Eau Sauvage from other elegant perfumes from yesteryear is the absence of oakmoss, and thanks to this, I can safely say it smells contemporary.

Do not get scared from “manly” notes here, you owe yourself to own this legend.

Check out my Parfumo profile to find out how can you read full reviews on my website.
The Endowment Blindbuy Effect
Another blind buy...actually I didn't want to do this anymore after all. But what to do if you are taken by the perfume description and you have no opportunity to test a fragrance in the perfumery. And if there is then still a good offer, then one just strikes :)

However, I am always very careful when I read a review in which a "blind buy" is evaluated. I'm sure some are familiar with the endowment effect, also known as the possession effect, which describes how we value a good (for example, a purchased good) more simply because we own that good.

Now, I've once expanded on this effect and simply call it the "Endowment-Blindbuy Effect". Ultimately, what I'm getting at is that we certainly all tend to value blindbuys better than we would have if we hadn't bought that fragrance. After all, we spent money on it and obviously don't want that money to have been spent "for nothing". If only to keep any "Buyer's remorse" as small as possible.

Therefore, I now try to evaluate the present fragrance as objectively as possible, although there can be no objective evaluation with perfumes anyway.
Fragrance

Since this is a classic Fougère fragrance, I try times to draw a few parallels to Bois du Portugal, since this fragrance is probably quite well known and the inclined reader can thus get a good idea. But so that this is quite clear, both fragrances are relatively far from each other, at least within the Fougère genre.

Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) starts off quite strongly citrusy. The first 10 minutes you perceive virtually nothing else. Bois du Portugal starts there much calmer and more relaxed, although bergamot is also included here in the top note. But here, the cedar wood and lavender are added directly, which really gives the fragrance an "old school vibe". This I take namely with Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) only very conditionally perceived.

Rather, a certain licorice note comes in the heart note here in fact. The fragrance is thereby even slightly sweetish, almost vanilla. Also, I notice a powderiness, which makes the fragrance even a little reminiscent of Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum. Anyway, it could almost be a Guerlain fragrance at this point.

While Bois du Portugal also comes along in the drydown almost unchanged and very dignified (which is why I like him so, would not be there the durability), Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) changes yet another time and now the vetiver and elemi resin are added, whereby the fragrance then still gets a slight, nice "old school vibe".

Durability and sillage are unfortunately only average. While still quite acceptable, but what others have written here of 10+ hours, is not comprehensible. It is on my skin rather so 7-8 hours and the sillage takes you probably rather perceive if you are already quite close to the person. Thus but of course perfect for the office (or other work) or everyday life suitable.

The bottle is really quite beautiful. He reminds of a classic Rassierwasserflasche with a great magnetic lid. Only the black band around the bottle belly looks a little cheap and tarnishes the overall impression a little.

So how does my conclusion turn out?
Overall, I am ultimately somewhat disappointed, even if this is difficult for me to admit to myself due to the "Endowment-Blindbuy-Effect". Of course, the fragrance is not bad and I will wear it with pleasure, but I had just expected something more "old school" a la Bois du Portugal. Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) is there but rather playful and even something for younger people. Now I'm not so old myself, but I like the very classic Fougères just very well.

But who is looking for a citrusy, slightly sweet and powdery fragrance, which also comes along a bit classic, Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) should definitely test times (must not be a blind buy :))

Over hyped
Before you get upset.
I love classic men's scent. For example I've adored Equipage Geranium, Bel Ami Vetiver, Beau De Jour type of scents...

Why am I criticizing this?

Being relatively unavailable in the US, this thing can be hyped up to $161 USD for 100ml. That is niche price already. When I first bought this, it was the most expensive scent I've ever purchased.

Being a lover of classy scents, I've seen this recommended by some solid reviewers like early greek, AC Smells good, and Scentinel.

So I bought it without smelling it. My first impression upon spraying was.... this smells incredibly generic.

I have never smelled the 2012 version but presumably, I would like that better because I love myrrh's deep dense resinous quality.

It opens with a slight citrus and goes right into the dry down, which is a very generic vetiver combined with a little fruity sweetness from the elemi. Throughout my wearing, the redeeming part of this frag is that it leaves that wondering Eau Sauvage EDT jasmine sweetness to me, but I don't get the whaff often, which leads to my next criticism.

This is a poor performer on me. I am not sure if it's caused by olfactory fatigue but once I spray it, it seems like it completely disappears within 5 min. Throughout the day, I get rare whiffs.

I just find this to be lacking in character.

the EDT version is wonderful as it exudes a ultra classiness and Italian suave. But this is just forgettable.

The review before me mentioned a licorice note, I get that for sure. It has a slight root beer smell to it indeed.

However, my overall assessment is this is a big disappointment given its price. I think it's overhyped (not by jeremy-like reviewers, but by classic men frag reviewers)

Trust me folks, I really wanted to like this. You know how sometimes you look at a fragrance's reputation and its beautiful bottle and you just wish you would love it? But it's a no for me.
Lemon meets liquorice
It starts neatly citrusy. But right from the start with a woody-spicy undertone that you immediately know where the hare runs long. The "wild water" leaves no doubt about his motto - Oldschool!
So who is not on classic fragrances, should rather leave the fingers of it.

As the top note wears off and the middle fights its way through, I have an association. Licorice!
And the association persists even the second time I wear it. To me, this fragrance is a licorice scent.... - with lemon. Even though the former note is nowhere near the stated scent notes.

Finally, I'm thinking of slightly spicy soap.

And so then, after about 7 hours, the journey ends with the "wild water", the (with-)rushing stream of lemon and licorice.

I like it

Modern masterpiece!
A true gentlemen's fragrance, doesn't matter how old you are, if you carry yourself with maturity and a sense of nobility, this is the fragrance for you. I wear this to work with confidence, it projects well and it leaves a trail of it's smoothness for 7+ hours. One of my signature fragrances that will always be in the collection.
A true masterpiece!
10/10

A vivid vetiver
Absolute freshness... such a full and vibrant Vetiver note that shines. After about 20 minutes it starts to meld with the other notes and almost reminds me of absinthe... don’t ask me why, but it does...

It’s definitely one you wear in a serious scenario... It feels like a boss scent... like one who doesn’t mess around. THE ABSOLUTE ALPHA.

I think it can work in all seasons, you just have to be in the right situation.

Projection is humongous... easily 6ft plus.... sillage is the same... they will know you were there... and longevity is monsterous as well...

Not going to be for everyone, but in my opinion it’s awesome.

Razvanyke
The smell of the modern gentleman
This beautiful barbeshop scent starts with a burst of citrus, probably the high quality bergamot and then it stays present with lavender and hedione.

I really enjoy the DNA of Eau Sauvage and I can say that when I was 20, I was not so crazy about it but now over 30 I do like it so this is not a youthful smell.

The longevity is great, the sillage is great and the bottle looks very classy. On top, the cap is magnetic.

Lukbab
Dior Sauvage for grown-ups!
I have never smelled Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2012 version. I just keep hearing and reading that it was much better than 2017 version. So I checked the websites, heard all the comments and reviews and decided to buy it.

Now I have to confess - 80 % of my fragrances were bought blindly. I like the moment it arrives and I do sort of know what to expect but still it is a pleasant surprise to feel the fragrance for the first time and knowing I made the right purchase. So when Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum arrived I was excited...

...And then dissapointed. Is this it? I sprayed it on my hand, and I all I could fell was a candided lemon. It fell dated, synthetic and boring. I decided to wait and went to work. After 2 hours the magic started to happen. Lemon slightly faded and resinous notes were pushing forward! WOW, that`s something! Dark, warm, slightly creamy and extremely elegant. I finally understood to all the reviews - this fragrance is amazing. Whenever I want to make a business statement I wear this. When I want to feel like a boss I wear this...

Eau Sauvage Parfum is not for younger crowd, it lack the fun of Dior Sauvage EDT/EDP, but that doesn`t mean it does not deserve it`s place on the market. Actually I believe that for managers (35+) this must be preffered scent. Why? Well, this does not get dated, this will be amazing 10, 20 years later. Will Dior Sauvage? And how great has to be the 2012 version?

Scent: 9,5/10
Performance: 10/10
Sillage: 9/10
Value: 8/10 (I bought it for 78 €/100ml)
Miloxys
The woman among men's fragrances
I just can't understand that smell. It's fresh, citrusy, woody, vanilla, sweet, masculine, feminine, sometimes a little bit. I suppose describing nuclear fission would be easier than explaining this scent. The opening is fresh, masculine and very mature - ideal for 50+. But what's coming all of a sudden? Slightly sweet, powdery, playful, then masculine again. What's really weird is that over time the perfume smells completely different than at the beginning. The longer you wear the perfume, the younger it gets. The problem is, I can't really perceive the perfume. It sort of fades away and then it's back again
CONCLUSION: I wouldn't buy more because it completely overwhelms me. The fragrance is somehow intangible to me and it feels to me as if I would apply a new perfume every hour. The composition fits extremely well, but nothing for me as a 31-year-old. I need consistency.

Maximus001Maximus001 21 days ago
Maybe the best mature citrusy scent which is serious enough for any ocasion. Fantastic buy. My batch: 8H01
Bashke81Bashke81 8 months ago
If you want to smell like a pro in a suit and tie then look no further. This is truely a modern barbershop done right!
10/10
Nik604Nik604 9 months ago
A blast from the deep past, it is like the time machine - one sniff and you are back in the Cary Grant times..too expensive and old school .
Finerthings8Finerthings8 1 year ago
This is a superb creation.It is almost from other world.notes works so harmoniously. Real gentleman fragrance,always will be in my top 10.
MeetjoeblackMeetjoeblack 1 year ago
0.5
Very heavy hand on the bergamot that gives it the dreaded "old man smell" in my opinion. Very similar to Le 3rd by Caron. Try before buying!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Very good and probably the leading fragrance of all the Eau Sauvage line. The Vetiver and the balsamic-spicy lemony Elemi note are great!
Amazon1975Amazon1975 2 years ago
A star anise dominant frag that is absolutely amazing.... probably my new favourite
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
Resolute atmosphere. Bright citrus, lavender and etc are just seasonings. It's a masculine vetiver scent that flows from a stiffened elemi.
StarA1StarA1 3 years ago
It smells very strong, exasperating, infects me with nausea ... This perfume is closer to the fragrances of traditional barbershops

by IrisNobile
Einer der wenigen „Lebensdüfte“, die ich für immer und ewig tragen werde...
by Salva
Annäherung 2
by Camey5000
Duftmoleküle
by Camey5000
The Wild Bunch: Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017, Eau de Toilette, Lotion après Rasage, Baume après Rasage, Crème à Raser & Deodorant Stick.
by EauSavage
by Kenshin
by StarA1
by StarA1

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Parfum) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior