Fahrenheit 1988Eau de Toilette

Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior
Bottle Design Marie-Christine de Sayn-Wittgenstein
Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior for men and was released in 1988. The scent is leathery-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Camomile, Lavender, Mandarin orange, Mace, Hawthorn, Cedar, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Lily of the valley, Nutmeg, Sandalwood, Violet leaf, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 13.04.2021.

Fire and flame...
...I am for this fragrance!
One thing I have to let Dior yes: Among countless fragrances for me to test, it just had to be Fahrenheit, which landed very high on my list. The name, the reputation to be a "Hate or Love" fragrance, the uniqueness and ultimately the entire presentation have done it to me. At the same time, it is then still said that the fragrance would simply smell like gasoline, which made it not very interesting for me. But wrong thought:
When I sprayed the fragrance on the test strip and smelled it for the first time, I tore open my eyes and looked for a brief moment dumbfounded to the test strip, because this fragrance is really unique and as that is so with unique fragrances, they like to polarize.
I've never smelled anything like Fahrenheit before, but I liked it immediately. I understand the gasoline/engine oil association, but don't think it does the scent justice. Fahrenheit is just so much more!
Incidentally, I expected something sharp, downright smelling of spirit, which makes the fragrance for so many as a gasoline scent. But wrongly thought, Fahrenheit has no sharp after nail polish remover, turpentine or even just to be declared as spicy accord. Fahrenheit picks up somewhat, by that I mean only somewhat, the inherent smell of gasoline and that only mainly in the opening. Since this is supposed to be much more pronounced according to some statements and reviews in the vintage version (My goodness, I must definitely test!), I can well imagine that some rated here from memory.
Otherwise, I can not explain "This smells only of gasoline", because even my untrained nose gets from beginning to end tangerine violet leaf leather in combination with a pinch of chamomile.
All in all, the fragrance strikes me as slightly fruity-green with a distinct leather note.

The durability varies, is with me but mostly at 10-11 hours. Complain can not be there. With the Silllage I had the biggest problems, because I perceive the fragrance itself times, then also a time no longer. I experimented a bit with the number of sprays and even with 15+ sprays, I didn't find myself swooning into unconsciousness once, which I think would have been the case with most fragrances that are a bit more intrusive. So there is something about Fahrenheit that I sometimes notice and sometimes don't. I know the nose gets used to scents, but I haven't wandered that much in between "Is it gone now?" and "No, it's still there!" yet. Certainty there was every time at the latest when the nose wandered to the sprayed wrist, because with the nose on the skin, the scent is, as already noted, very long perceptible.
But I also involved other people who could perceive me a few hours after spraying still clearly, albeit pleasantly. All in all, therefore, not a fragrance that beats up your counterpart still after hours the nose, but definitely more than skin close and thus also above average will make itself felt.

The Falkon, the name, the class sprayer: here really fits everything together.
Exactly the name and the bottle looking like a flame have attracted my attention and enticed me, among other things, to test the fragrance. Nevertheless, there are also here even more beautiful works of art, the cap could also be better.

The bottom line is that Fahrenheit is exactly what I was looking for. He is unique, he is uncompromising, he polarizes. It combines many aspects that I miss in today's selection of fragrances. Certainly a fragrance that will stay with me for a long time and will fill the shopping list in 200ml. I'll also give the Flanker another try, though it'll be hard to top this one. This scent has absolute potential to be a signature scent for small manageable collections, is wearable for young to old and all but the height of summer.
Do not be deterred by the others, test it and form your own opinion.

Thanks for reading!

Drinks
In moderation he is a pleasant companion, a good conversation. The subtlety of florals, spice and vetiver complement the strong leather basis.

Overdo it and he gets obnoxious, unbuttons his shirt, makes inappropriate jokes and starts a fight in the parking lot.
Reflections on Fahrenheit
Fahrenheit gets better and better over the years. By that I don't mean due to any chemical reactions that affect the quality of some wines, similar to the storage of some wines, nor that the perfume is improved with increasing reformulations, but rather that with each further standard mush on the designer field, each further flanker, including those of Fahrenheit, the original Fahrenheit Eau de Toilette stands out more and more and can claim its position as a solitaire. For this reason, it is also why it always needs more comments on Fahrenheit, although about the fragrance, here and in the Internet archive, a lot has already been said.

I can remember my first contact with Fahrenheit exactly. Summer 1990, I was to buy with a perfume, then as a teenager, still with saved pocket money I have very carefully considered what it should be - today you would probably call such a thing as research. My parents' neighbour wore Fahrenheit and during a conversation over the garden fence I was presented with it. The fact that a woman preferred Fahrenheit, which was declared as a men's fragrance, caught my attention before. My choice fell at that time nevertheless on Égoïste - what with its history with Chanel, the left to Bois des Îles and Bois Noir, a completely different, but similarly important place occupies.

Fahrenheit remains a solitaire. Never was a designer perfume with extensive distribution again so crafty and experimental. It is often described as a leather fragrance, but I see it more as a floral perfume, where especially fragrances around violets are skillfully staged, see Jean Doré's excellent comment on the use of methyl octyl carbonate (https://auparfum.bynez.com/fahrenheit,227).

Another reason to revisit Fahrenheit right now is that the current version is again quite a bit closer to older versions. I wonder if the 40th anniversary 1988 - 2018 was the reason for that Seven or eight years ago there was a horrible vanilla-heavy formulation where apparently a bottle of Fahrenheit Absolut fell into the vat - thankfully that's been ironed out, back when I was happy to reach for the excellent Cuir Pleine Fleur as a 'replacement'. I would love to know more about the special solvent/petrol note that is another special Fahrenheit. This one is there too, and perhaps a tad more pronounced and at the same time brighter than before (this idea has been spun on quite cleverly, among others, most notably with Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia and also Comme des Garçons Garage and Tar). Sure, Fahrenheit 2020 smells different from what it did 30 or 40 years ago. Some changes were certainly inevitable, but Dior Parfums doesn't have the best reputation as an ethical house. We are very far from the subtlety displayed here by, for example, YSL when they released their La Collection reissues, or when they reissued Helmut Lang's perfumes. Despite all the differences I see with my currently oldest bottle from 2000, the current version is great
You stand out
Fahrenheit met me the first time in my youth.
In a disco, back when you were still allowed to smoke inside uninhibited when you drank. From a brew of tobacco smoke, sweat and tilted drinks to stick out is not so easy. But Fahrenheit succeeds without any problems.
1 man under 100 put on this scent.... I go every bet that one smells him.
It may have been the environment, the wearer themselves, or both combined. But Fahrenheit reminds me of a pimp.... In the late 70s or early 80s. Gold chain, mustache, an open shirt with chest hair spilling out of it.... Self-centered smile Although I really like the scent, but not everyone can wear it.
Of course, one (s) must be no image described above *laughs* but charisma you need for the already.
He is not for early 20s... Also nothing for early 30s... Unless you are already a man then. Way ahead of his time back then.
H/S is above average. Carefully dosed he also does not annoy.
Micha1984
My life essence and the scent for life... But why only always gasoline?
Fahrenheit, an experience of a special kind. A fragrance that you either love or hate. There is no in between here and you have to be ready for him. This was the case for me very early on and since our first encounter, it has been my memory ever since. I had already written a comment about it in the past, but it pissed off one or the other here, which is why I deleted it again. Therefore, I will only refer to my experience with restraint and try, after a short introduction, to describe the scent as I perceive it. I first noticed Fahrenheit in the late 90s because my stepfather wore and owned it at the time. The scent grabbed me and intrigued me from the first moment. So I associate my youth, my growing up, many great moments and situations with it. Almost no other fragrance brings me back, figuratively and mentally to so many situations as this pearl here. His special character makes him out and just not for every man (s) portable or even bearable. Since he is so concise and special and accompanies me half my life and he is afflicted with so many memories, he has become my Lebeselexier, my signature fragrance.

About the fragrance itself... Many compare Fahrenheit with the smell of gasoline, a garage or used oil... Well I work myself in a workshop and know the daily smells of the above-mentioned liquids and I must unfortunately disagree. Fahrenheit smells primarily of leather, chamomile and violet to me. These notes are very noticeable especially in the top notes, although even then, a slightly woody undertone of cedar and vetiver can be heard. Towards the middle, a nice earthy woodiness opens up, at least in my nose, which I would attribute to the vetiver, accompanied by some spicy nutmeg. The drydown for me is a subtle mix of earthiness, woodiness and a subtle tonka - leather note. That is my perception of this fragrance and for me he awakens, if at all, only in the good old vintage version very distant associations with a petrol note what is probably due to the violet or was.

H+S are I think no longer a comparison with the version of the 90s, because there it was a monster. Nevertheless, I can not complain with my current version regarding lack of or underground H+S. On me, the scent holds with 4 sprays well over 10h+ whereby he projects very well in the first 3-4 hours and is only slowly quiet.

The bottle... i think you do not need to say much about it. Simple, unspectacular but still a good reflection of what is inside. The spray head is not the best and could atomize finer.

Finally, it remains to write that Dior has created here a fragrance that, despite its age, has not fallen into the mainstream, like other colleagues aka 1 Million, Acqua Di Gio or Sauvage.... Its rough edges have since saved it from becoming a dead worn crowdpleaser. As long as he exists, he will always belong to me, just like my memories, my experiences, my life. Thanks for reading. :)
This is how my E46 M3 smells
It's been a long time, but now the fragrance is back in my collection.
I can not help myself, when I close my eyes, it smells first of the engine compartment of my beloved M3 and after a while the sensation moves to the interior to the gray-black leather. Unfortunately, however, it was only a short trip, so about 150 km, there were namely only just under 20 liters in the tank.
Eyes on, I stand on this fragrance, but the durability could be better.
But you can refuel yes ....

Dior Fahrenheit
Love to overspray this one! Sporting a ridiculous amount of accords, nothing else smells like Fahrenheit and for me it remains the most creative men's fragrance from the house of Dior.

I prefer to wear it in warmer weather when my chest hair can roam free through a wide open collar.

4 stars
Hegen
Who doesn't like to sniff gas?
Look, you're running on fumes, we need to fill up. No problem, I've got some Fahrenheit here, that will get us to the next gas station. Yeah, it's crazy, this smell really does smell like gasoline. I didn't believe it before I tested it, but it's real But in combination with the fruity lemon and bergamot it smells so good that it is almost addictive. The pleasant leather note is also very successful. I love Fahrenheit. My late grandfather must have worn this fragrance all the time, at least Fahrenheit reminds me of him. But in my opinion, the fragrance is also suitable for a younger age group (no teenagers).

Dior Fahrenheit: A Classic Masterpiece
For more than 30 years and going, there is still nothing like Fahrenheit, and there never will be. Timeless and elegant, Fahrenheit is still as modern and important as it was in the '80s.

Here are my 5 quick takes:

- Niche fragrance hiding in a designer bottle
- A Floral Leather scent family with great longevity
- Created by Jean-Louis Sieuzac and Michel Almairac
- It can be used all year round
- A business casual perfume for experienced noses

It is a surprisingly affordable and widely available niche scent under the designer's name. If you are interested in my perfume work, and would like to check out the full review, you can find me on my scentgrail website and social media's under the Scent Grail name. Cheers.
Old is not bad here
Today I bought a bottle of Fahrenheit for the first time in 30 years. Already when spraying it on, it smells a bit unpleasant what didn't smell that way 30 years ago. I smelled it over and over again and the smell looked familiar. It smells like in my grandfather's home workshop, like metal, oil and grease. But my grandmother had just walked through with generously applied violet perfume. After applying it several times, I notice the bergamot and sandalwood and the scent starts to appeal to me again. For every occasion and for every season but best not daily otherwise you could end up like me. After a few bottles Joop! Homme came on the market and I have never worn a Fahrenheit again, until now

BertolucciKBertolucciK 5 months ago
The scent from my teenage years is characterized by a powerful opening with a petrol vibe. In the drydown, a slightly smoked earthy leather.
DemeteraDemetera 6 months ago
Feels old, but well aged, not outdated at all. Smells like leathery-earthy-smoky-gasoline 100% love or hate type, but there is lot to love.
Finerthings8Finerthings8 6 months ago
Love at second sniff . Daring and unusual for a designer brand .takes time to appreciate but definitely worth it.
Eliot65Eliot65 6 months ago
I had a vintage bottle, latest bottles from 19/20 are great, very close to it, they have great smell, longevity and sillage WELL DONE DIOR
Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 9 months ago
Just tried layering this with Dior Homme EDT (2011) today. A match made in heaven! The leather got amped up, with more floral nuances.
HubertGHubertG 1 year ago
Top 10 lifetime fragrances, classic but different, masterpiece from Dior.
NGL7NGL7 1 year ago
Black leather jacket and Chevy Camaro: " 'cos if you wanna run cool
If you wanna run cool, you got to run
On heavy, heavy fuel"
PolarrfoxPolarrfox 2 years ago
You love it or You hate it. Nothing between this. Strong, spicy, masculine scent with lots of licquorice aroma. Parfum is much better.
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
I am amazed Jordan Peterson does not mention this to his fans. Solves any masculinity crisis.
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
You either love it or hate it! The worlds' most contested cologne with its petrol vibe, so manly yet so womanly. I happen to adore it.

Von Zora inspiriert, vielen Dank!
by Scottie
by Minea
Mensch, wer hat den jetzt wieder in der Sonne stehen lassen?
by Gandix
Mann, der brennt aber die Speiseröhre runter...
Abendglut
by Rasierwasser
Fahrenheit 451
by NuiWhakakore
Für Fresh...ein bisschen Maskulin und ein bisschen Vintage Mercedes Benz 230 SL Pagode
by Kylesa
by Toreter
by Dyniel
by Dyniel

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Parfum) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior