Fahrenheit (1988) Eau de Toilette

Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior
Bottle Design: Marie-Christine de Sayn-Wittgenstein

Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for men and was released in 1988. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Chamomile, Lavender, Mandarin, Mace, Hawthorn, Cedar, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Nutmeg, Sandalwood, Violet leaf, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.04.2019

9.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

JetonToni
The scent that reflects the "fragile" soul of a man.
It's windy, it's stormy. The Mariah Carey song Till The End Of Time sounds. This is how you can imagine this fragrance, this masterpiece by Dior. Fahrenheit perfectly reflects the soul of a man who loves the summer (because of the hay note, in this fragrance), because Fahrenheit is summer, rustic and cosy because of the hay note I have described.

On a windy autumn and winter day, the fragrance provides comfort and warmth through its balsamic note. Because Fahrenheit is (ice-)cold like the polar Antarctic and blazing like a fire at the same time. Depending on the season, the scent changes as well.

The main note in this fragrance is a hay note and a "lead note" reminiscent of aldehyde. I don't smell gasoline like some people say. Possibly a slightly herbaceous shimmering floral note. But the comparison with petrol is still interesting. Also a very nice leathery note shows up in the course.

If Fahrenheit were a song, it would be Till The End Of Time. The fragrance is soft on one side and lively on the other: Romantic, but still strong. Erotic, but not vulgar. Gentleman but no macho.
Fahrenheit is reminiscent of desert, but at the same time also reminiscent of Antarctica (where we again have the associations of heat and cold).
It reflects, as I said, the fragile soul of a man with a strong aura. After some time I smell a balsamic spicy honey note (or is it beeswax ?), which is hardly noticeable, but gives the scent a silky nuance.

The bottle in dark and reddish tones perfectly reproduces the fragrance. The Sillage and durability is very good (at least in the vintage version). My version is from the year 1992. Unfortunately this fragrance is also adapted to the spirit of the times and smells accordingly different, more relaxed than the old (much more intensive, pronounced) version. Durability is around 12 hours with large sillage on the Vintage version.

The old version is the better choice. My choice. My Fahrenheit. My statement!
The current Fahrenheit may have been stolen from me!
9.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

ScentSlave
I gotta roll back to the classics once in a while....
...and this is the first one I reach for; such a unique fragrance, even to this day. It’s so intense on the startup, and oh so sexy on the dry down... it SCREAMS “lets finish this in the bedroom”...

So HOT and fiery, is that spicy “petro-leather” dry down... and it leaves you, as the WEARER, ready to conquer... while leaving the one(s) you are going to conquer entangled in an intoxicated state of bliss... You HAVE to be CONFIDENT enough to pull it off; but if you are.... you will be the truest conquistador indeed.

For me it fades to skin scent quickly (within 2hours), but it’s rather spicy and loud in that skin scent phase, and like I said, it’s a VERY sexy, seductive aroma that resonates.
9.0 9.0 9.0 9.0/10

Great classic
It was in the 80's, we were young...fresh, carefree and above all carefree.

Yes, at that time when we still looked in the D&W Tuning catalogue for spoilers, rims and lightly dressed ladies.

We still had the D Mark,Commodore computers etc

That's when Fahrenheit was born!

I can still remember today that I was addressed several times on this smell positively.

Now, over 30 years later I sometimes still wear it and it comes so many memories

to the surface...from back when we were young and carefree in a good time!

I allow myself to spare you the description of the individual fragrances.

These have already been described very beautifully and excellently here.
5.0/10

Now little persuasive made
The perfumer of the original was Jean-Louis Sieuzac. The same one also composed "Or Black" - before. The component Iso-E-Super, which was strongly overdosed for the conditions at that time, is conspicuous. That makes smoothness and radiance and fullness. In "Or Black" it creates a dark suction and, together with the typical "fougere" components, a strong chemical smell of petroleum. It smells pleasantly masculine, technically.

Fahrenheit is said to have a refined direction - gasoline. I can't understand this with the current version. Apparently, the "violet leaf" has been greatly reduced. That alone produced the impression of disgusting chemistry, as one would expect from modern fougere-perfumes, and it is correspondingly bitterly lacking here. See also "Grey Flannel".

What remains is "mandarin", therefore slightly bitter orange with sweetness, then leathery/woody flat Iso-E-Super. I still find the desire to present something special. However, the design (meanwhile?) is so flat, that a satisfactory total pressure does not want to result. As so often, the refinement in adapting to a (only imagined?) taste of the times has fallen by the wayside.
6.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Woman catchers
Fahrenheit in its current version appeals to me today as much as it did when the fragrance and I were young. The spices in the head and heart notes combine with the tonka bean in the base to form a cosy warmth that captures me. The mandarin gives freshness at first spraying, and jasmine and lily of the valley bring in something playful, which arouses interest together with the spices. I'd like to sniff it out, dive in, explore it. Spices and mandarins - and yet it doesn't smell a bit Christmassy. Although I cannot imagine the smell in the hottest summer now also necessarily. Petrol? I don't smell it, but I know what the previous speaker means. I don't know which component is responsible for it, but that's what gives this fragrance a kick, makes it unique, headstrong and self-confident. Now as a woman I can only hope that its wearer keeps what the fragrance promises.
10.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Petrol sniffer
It was in the summer of 1990 when my father had been given Fahrenheit by my big brother for his birthday, I loved it from the first sniff ! This petrol vibe in a men's perfume fascinated me ! My father, who quickly returned to Azzaro, left this masterpiece with a slight contempt. This was my chance, I thought! I used it then just in primary school alternately with my Old Spice :D my primary school teacher might have loved me because of my penchant for very masculine scents :D since this bottle was empty in 1995 then none followed until I started 2018 with my passion for scents properly! The current version (my batch is from 2018) smells exactly like I had it in my memory, so a strict fuel note when spraying on durability 8 hours in moderate weather in summer makes it sometimes half limp. This re-formulation is really good have no desire for more or a vintage bottle! Every time I wore Fahrenheit in public this year I was asked at least 1 time whether it is Fahrenheit and that it smells so good and for some women Fahrenheit is still very attractive today! Fahrenheit forever!
10.0 8.0 8.0 9.5/10

Fahrenheit - Christian Dior
30 years since its release, my video review is specifically about my 2015 bottle and including my early impressions of a vintage I owned in the early 90s

7.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Jazzy76
Son of the late '80es (with a gentle heart)
Rich, complex, almost weird, but irresistible: this is to me Fahrenheit by Dior, a typical son of the late Eighties. Its name is the same of the inventor of the famous thermic scale and the warm coulours of the bottle suggest something burning
I discovered this incredible scent when I was only 14 and my cousin's boyfriend usually worre this perfume: when i decided to ask him the name of his perfume He said : "It's Fahrenheit by Dior!"
Immediately I searched for this perfume because I smelled in it something unusual flr a masculin fragrance, although I didn't know what it could be, and I was too attracted. What a surprise when i discovered that my cousin gave me as a birthday gift a little bottle of this scent!
After may years, when I began to be interested in perfumes , essences and olfactive pyramids, I finally discovered what was the "secret ingredient" of this scent which made me go out of my head. the violet leaf note!
Today I had the same good vibrations smelling on the mouillette and on my skin too this composition at my favourite drugstore: first of all, I smelled the citrusy-aromatic opening accord, then my favourite note arrived to my nose : gentle, vibrant, accompanied by a choir of flowery notes and spices. At the base, a wonderful and warm leather note made more interesting by the amber touch and a good balanced patchouli note, not too earthy.
The sillage is wonderful, as well as the longevity, although the price is high (don't forget that we're talking about a Dior's creation), but the composition nowadays too seems (at least to me) the same of the original version .
I think that the atout of this scent is its quite "feminine"heart well harmonised with the other traditional and more masculin notes. Anyway, it reamins to me a must have in a perfumes collection and it could be worn by women too, to dare with irony and a touch of malice.
9.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Heli23
No EDT, no EDP but Dior Fahrenheit PED (Performance Enhancing Fragrance)
You can only improve performance where there is performance. The fragrance is not a self-runner, it wants to work with you and needs the right mental setting of the wearer. If that's true, this scent drives you forward like doped! Since one should not drive however constantly in the red speed range, this is also no everyday fuel.

If you press the Snooze button eight times in the morning on your alarm clock and just don't get into gear with your Monday mood, you don't need to apply Fahrenheit at all.

You get up motivated and full of energy at 4:30 in the morning. After the morning exercise you slip into your all black outfit freshly showered and say to yourself full of productivity: "Today I'll get down to it! Then give yourself two or three sprays of Fahrenheit and you'll notice with the first scent that your engine is at operating temperature.
It's a long day ahead of you, but you know the durability of the fragrance won't let you down.

The key word is confidence. The scent smells like a determined leader who is not afraid to get his hands dirty. A rich fragrance process that develops great on the skin and depending on skin temperature pulsating scents from the body emitted. One is partly surprised from day to day and discovers new scents.
Fahrenheit can be wild, animalistic and full of testosterone. Modern, clean and noble like leather. Seductive and flowery sweet. And the whole thing is full of perseverance. Simply a timeless machine this fragrance.

If one supports with doping substances, then it is recommended to do this with 25+, if the person is fully grown and self reflective enough.
Compliments come rather from more mature ladies who also know what they want.

If you think evil now, you will see a blunt narcissist as carrier ;)
Dior Fahrenheit is a multi-dimensional fragrance for people who feel comfortable in their skin. With this complexity it enables the development of a multi-dimensional character.

Good ride with Fahrenheit
9.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Snaporaz
When I learned to sit still on the plane
The eighties: that was for me during the holidays the time of city trips with my parents. London, Amsterdam, Paris... later long distance. At that time flying was a little more expensive than today, but we were part of the group of standby passengers: checking in on time, arriving at the gate even more punctually. You were not allowed on board until all passengers had boarded. Then it was the turn of the Staff and his family. Therefore we could be assigned 'First Class' or a Jumpseat. For me as a child, the latter was of course not a problem. In case of doubt, a glance at the seniority of the employee could decide on the flight and thus the trip. It was not uncommon for it to remain exciting whether we even flew with them and it was not uncommon for there to be intrigues between the employees of the aviation company.

Breakthrough, vibrating waiting at the gate. The thought always present, how the thing with the suitcases ends - these have already been loaded into the plane.

-In this situation no other fragrance fitted better than Fahrenheit; omnipresent with my father.
Of course, the properties of chamomile such as 'soothing' or 'relaxing' in this fragrance need to be thoroughly reconsidered. Here camomile and lavender dominate in an unmistakable way. Primed, among other ingredients, by the very sharp and headstrong Vetiver. A fragrance of high tension and straightforwardness.

Fahrenheit made history. Even though he is not one of the ancestors, he is still a classic and absolutely unmistakable. He's unique. Camomile and lavender, both components of many feel-good fragrances, are so unmistakably integrated here with the austerity of vetiver and leather.
He's a big one. He has conveyed a zeitgeist of the end of the 80s. Back then in a very new way.
10.0 7.0 8.0 3.5/10

Fresh21
How do I tell my community?
Hello,

i would like to welcome you to today's Creative Course. The best thing is to introduce yourself and say why you are participating ... Start right away, please.

"Najut, then womama ... so, Tachchen ersma, ick bin dr Manni, ... and mene Jötterjattin ment, nu is end withn dependencies, ick sollmawat do creative things. Well, this is binick."

"Well, that's a big reason... Hash'dn at home niksch to dua? Keu Häuschle, where you can go out in it? So sagamaaa ...."

"Listen, treasure knot, will you introduce yourself, or spaad you by your name? Nixfürunjut, ... jestattn, I'm in the office and I'm in the office because I'm the boss mint, I'm supposed to be in the job."
"Aleksandra, and away lies Depresschion ..."

"Na dettisjiud, orijinal schwäbisch, or jeet det noch ausführlicha?"

But please dear participants, we are not here to argue, but to be creative.

"... yes, then I'll say it again, you're not going to catch a mung jefalle!"

Who, ... I?

"Well, who else? I b'st'mmt net..."

Well, actually creativity has always been my strength, but recently I joined a community and ... there are a lot of creative people, especially this Schoork.

"Un?"

Well, he's got a great story every time he puts his perfume comments into. Fully creative, and since then ..., I simply don't have the words, and I would like to hide out most of all.

"So desch with 'm V'rkriescha, desch kenni ... "

"... ick glob ick spider. 'N Creative who is kener!"

"Five Kölsch andat klapp rader ... jokes ...but why do you do that more often than not? Try it again! ... Gezz ... hau russ ming Jung, ... be loose and creative dabey."

Well, I don't know. Here? In front of them?
"Yeah, sure dat !"

All right ... um um, so ... umm ... this Fahrenheit, who ... he smells so ... uninhibitedly like gasoline, ... that I could just as well tap the next pit stop myself and tap the artery.

"...sorry, but det wajanu allet others than creative!"

I'm telling you, I can't do it.

"Oh watt, just try it again, best with ten Kölsch, that's always jutjejange!"

No, thanks.

"...and where can I get my money back?"

P.S. This Schoork style commi is a tribute to his creativity, which seems to be an infinite pool of ideas and has made us laugh so often for several months now. Thanks for that, and no, there are no Schoorks next to you ;-) Because in reality this "creative contribution" is just another variant of the Verriss camouflage discussed in my latest blog ;-) "How do I tell my community? (Part1)" That's why I took the liberty of publishing this Kommi as a continuation blog for those not interested in Fahrenheit.

P.P.S. translations of the dialects used are included in the course fee and can be requested at any time.
8.0 7.0 9.0 8.5/10

The classic
This scent evokes memories from the past and is the scent of the eighties, early nineties. It's still possible today, but it doesn't have to be
9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Fire walk with me...
...yes a little reference with Twin Peaks. It was at pick in same time when Lynch throw us that mystic and so different episodes from other sitcoms. For me there are similarity, it was bold, interesting, and have your 100 % attention.
It is also full understandable why someone hate this smell because it is one of hate or love smells, but I do not think that anybody can be straight line with it.
Even now this fragrance (nevertheless it was weaken from original), is pure fire, and when you think designer scent I can bet in top 5 what-smell-you-imagine-with-leather-jacket. And if I look now to main straight designer perfumes it again have superiority to be bold and not even a close infantile smell which new modern masculine fragrance have.
For me I like to wear on evening and special dates, but really it can be (if that person can endure), wear everyday, even for work (with less over spray), and you will be different and sure be noticed in positive way.
I do not have luck to taste original late 80s and early 90s because i was too young, but now for sure it can endure to 8 hours which is ok. Ofc, silage first 2-3 hours is great, after linear come down to skin, but it is not light skin scent even then.
For now this is my signature, because every time it take me to that journey with fire, red curtain and mesmerizing feeling.

Gingi
I think Fahrenheit used to be great.... on me!!!
This is my first comment, please forgive me. At Douglas, a long time ago, when this fragrance was launched, I got a rehearsal. I used it, not knowing it was a men's scent. I loved the scent on me. My jaw fell down when I couldn't find any women's fragrances on Dior's shelves and a consultant sent me to the men's fragrances (even more manageable at that time). I bought a bottle and I liked to use it. Until the fragrance then became too "popular", and every man felt whether young or old smelled of it. Today, when the hype is over again, I still use Fahrenheit sometimes in winter, layered with rose...
7.0 9.0 9.0 8.0/10

The young savages...
we weren't just students. But this scent has done the rest. At that time a roommate had a bottle on which we poor students were allowed to serve us before every party night. And so it came that in the beginning of the 20's we mostly pulled a huge Fahrenheit cloud behind us in packs of 5. And so this harsh and dark classic was chosen as our definitive club fragrance. We felt more masculine, more mature and more sublime. Ideal conditions for a successful celebration night. Now I wear it mostly in winter. Every time I put it on, memories of wild and drunken nights come up. But now the scent has changed together with me. He, too, has matured and repelled his horns. A kind of Rolling Stone of the present...
8.0 9.0 10.0 9.0/10

Flaconist92
Strong character, very masculine masterpiece
First of all, I have to make it quite clear: I don't know previous versions of this perfume, so I can't judge whether it was stronger or better. I've been a fan of the Fahrenheit series for several months and already have the perfume and the cologne. Fact for me is one thing: This is one of the most sophisticated and eye-catching fragrances for men. Certainly not everyone's taste, but often heard descriptions like "smelling like the gas station attendant", "car mechatronics smell" or the like do the smell wrong. The leather base note is omnipresent. The citric top note may also be briefly added at the beginning. Keeps on cold and warm skin for up to half a day. What else can you expect from an EdT? That's as good as it gets! If according to the descriptions the scent is supposed to have been more intense in the past, then it must have knocked people down by the dozen. Anyway, now he's reached perfection. The Sillage is still stunning. Therefore apply sparingly! Due to the tannin leather note certainly not suitable for every occasion.
Merci DIOR. Thumbs up.
8.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10

Everything fits
...it is Fahrenheit, this unmistakable fragrance, which either suits the wearer or not. Apart from my love for this fragrance, which has been with me for more than 30 years, it is everything I expect from a good perfume. Only the first perception when taking off the cap confirms to me again and again that he has his right to exist in the circle of evergreens and must still have decades. In fact, I think he's changed something to his disadvantage over the years. Although not quite as dramatic as the artificial taste of today's Fanta in comparison to the orangigen of the 70s, a kind of imitation or worse is to be recognized. Nevertheless, Fahrenheit remains an integral part of my few fragrances.
8.0 8.0 9.0 3.5/10

Horrible scent
Very cheap smell, i tried it many times and every single time i feel like vomiting, unbearable dry down, it has great longevity and it has its own fans but for me this is HUGE PASS.

Fahrenheit
Fahrenheit hit in 1988 and was an instantaneous commercial success. It was a bold scent, innovative in concept and execution and was immediately recognizable as something new. It might have been developed using the framework of the fougère, but unlike the other massive launch of the year, Cool Water, it bore little resemblance to the genre. Fahrenheit’s infamous gasoline note gave it an edginess that separated it from other masculine fragrances. 1988 was effectively pre-niche and unorthodox perfumes were rare. Dior bet that there was an unmet demand for a fragrance that didn’t play by the ‘normal’ rules of scent. The combination of gasoline and dehydrated sweetness gave Fahrenheit a deliberately synthetic appearance and distanced it from the fougères and woody chypres that were still the norm for masculine fragrances. The olfactory image of gasoline is convincing. The dryness of woods and the coolness of the violet leaf suggest volatility, like drops of gasoline evaporating from your skin.

To Dior’s credit, they didn’t simply take a traditional perfume and dress it out with ‘avant-garde’ images and a trendy ad campaign. They created a straight-up oddball that didn’t fit easily into existing categories. What’s interesting, though, is that while Fahrenheit was groundbreaking, it wasn’t without precedent. Dior seem to have learned from a few great masculine fragrances of the prior dozen years. The pressurized hiss of violet leaf is a nod to Grey Flannel and the aggressively dry woods are reminiscent of Antaeus. The last piece in the puzzle comes from perfumer Jean-louis Sieuzac himself. Two years before he co-authored Fahrenheit for Dior, Sieuzac composed Hermès Bel Ami, a sumptuous leather chypre with a noticeable whiff of gasoline. He isolated the gasoline note and amplified it to form the basis of Fahrenheit.

Fahrenheit juggled offbeat style and mainstream PR and production streams with remarkable success. Take a look at a network sit-com or an action movie from 1988. Or a fashion magazine. Listen to some 1988 pop music. Most of it doesn’t hold up very well. (see above.) Fahrenheit on the other hand might come off as era-specific, but not dated. It has survived reformulation, the vagaries of trend and an increasingly competitive market yet remains distinctive.
10.0 7.0 7.0 10.0/10

art of perfume
the best perfume that i ever had
this is a part of perfume history , every one who care about fragrances should try it.

Oscarsh86 13 days ago
I have the vintage. It's stronger and longer lasting.
KingPin 61 days ago
Ultra classic that feels a bit dated.+1
Mike1337 118 days ago
The burnt wood actually does smell like petrol+1
Jazzy76 144 days ago
Its atout is the unmistakable violet leaf touch: a gentle and quite Feminine note in a rich and complex masculin very sexy composition+1
AmberScent 6 months ago
An odd scent with fuel and pepper accords but without notes for it. It belongs to my "dislike" group. I wonder why so many people praise it.+1
5.0
DavidBraz 7 months ago
Masculine with a strong leather. Can be cloying in the dry down it you apply to much. People recognize it easily. Not a complimment getter+1
9.0
Carlitos01 13 months ago
I love this scent 15 minutes after spraying. The initial gasoline gasoline accord makes me puke. I rate 0 in the top notes and 10 elsewhere.+1
Moenti 14 months ago
You can love a milestone, you can hate a milestone... the milestone doesn't care.+4
Fqjcior 17 months ago
A masterpiece and a game changer. One of a few really great perfumes in history. Timeless classic. A work of courage and genius. A winner.+3

by Mustang69
Von Zora inspiriert, vielen Dank!
by Scottie