Fahrenheit 1988 Eau de Toilette

Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior
Bottle Design Marie-Christine de Sayn-Wittgenstein
Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior for men and was released in 1988. The scent is leathery-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnationCarnation
HoneysuckleHoneysuckle
JasmineJasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
NutmegNutmeg
MuskMusk
PatchouliPatchouli
Tonka beanTonka bean
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 11.07.2021.

Bleauri
The perfect beginning (for me)
(Note: My first review to the new entry on "Parfumo". In view of many accurate fragrance descriptions and analysis of the components, I will probably only describe quite subjective impressions here.)

My first really expensive perfume, after I had limited myself in my teenage years to "Tabac" and "CD" deodorant, but had already overcome my teenage disdain for sniffing each other. Was I massively influenced by the (TV) advertising for the launch of the brand in 1988? Anyway, for the first time in my life I marched into a local scent temple, tested only this stuff and paid 90,- Mark for the 100 ml. What a freaky smell of gasoline / diesel. For lack of comparison possibilities in the fragrance sector, the question did not arise with me at all: THAT should be a fragrance? After being joined by a few other scents later, I was sure that this is and will remain my signature scent because it is so unique. And which, like my other favorite scents, tells a story, in this case set in an almost post-apocalyptic beach setting with a deep red, setting sun. It could be idyllic, but there are also oil slicks sloshing on the waves and derelict industrial / port facilities rising in the background. In short, I see the vision Terry Gilliam had in mind as a starting point for his film "Brazil". Probably it was the price that made me buy another 100ml bottle once or twice at most after 1988, until I abruptly woke up from a half-sleep dream during a morning nap with my youngest at the end of the noughties and had to have "Fahrenheit" - IMMEDIATELY, UNCONDITIONALLY. A measly 30ml at a naturally (the smaller, the more expensive) disastrous price-performance ratio from the drugstore was procured in hours. Consumed. Afterwards bought again and again and regarded with concern that with various reformulations this powerhouse fragrance degenerates to a pale memory. Nevertheless, a thick recommendation in times of myriads of generic fragrances; this is distinctive!
Papa
I was born in 1996,but can remember like it was yesterday.

I was 3years old,and daddy always smelled "nice" to me as a little girl.
What that was exactly I didn't know,of course.

Daddy smelled warm and fresh,Daddy smelled like home,I loved that smell.
At some point mom tells me that she had given dad this scent in 1992 and he liked it so much that it became his signature scent.
Fahrenheit is a classic, for me he just has a special meaning.

Fahrenheit is timeless in my opinion
he fits evenings as well as for everyday life, in summer as well as in winter. He has that certain something I will always love this fragrance
Standout, iconic, non-conformist
Fahrenheit is certainly one of those fragrances that you simply have to experience for yourself and that you only come close to doing justice to with a written description.

Nevertheless, I give you here times my impression with.

Right up front: the infamous gasoline / petroleum note. When I tested the fragrance for the very first time, I also got a relatively protruding petrol note, which clearly shapes the overall initial impression, of course, in addition to the remaining components of the fragrance.

For the rest of the day, in which I could perceive the smell on me, also came now and then the thought "Hm, really very interesting ... but maybe not a little much after all?"

I admit that from the beginning I wanted to like this fragrance very much because of its image and therefore had to be careful not to tell myself anything wrong.

Over the days, two more tests followed.... and the joy and enthusiasm for Fahrenheit slowly but surely set in!

One indeed gets used to the sharpness and loudness that emerges at first, and comes to enjoy the deep olfactory world of the numerous notes hiding behind, which create a very nice, warm, leathery overall result.
Exactly how I perceive the fragrance by now - as pleasant, warm, complex and always with the feeling of just wearing a brand new, high quality leather jacket. Overall, a fragrance that I will almost certainly keep in my collection for many years to come.

----------------

CONCLUSION So: Definitely test it yourself, and if you have a penchant for the general DNA of the fragrance and don't mind smelling very contrary to the contemporaneous fragrance landscape and you have the personality to embody this willingly, don't be put off. For one or two, this can be a real treasure.

Sillage and durability are above average for an EDT. An interesting scent progression is also present in any case; the fragrance becomes softer and opens more with the hours.

Would there be a version with even longer shelf life, that would be the absolute hammer, but if you reach u.U. equal to the large bottles, the price-performance ratio here is also very, very good.

INDIGOSPHINX
Compare this with TF ombre leather
So.. I have not tried too many leather dominant (not just as a note but truly smells like leather) fragrances. But I think most people are interested in these two so I want to offer some insights on which one you should buy and if you have one should you go for the other

for convenience sake, OL is ombre leather and FH is Fahrenheit

The overall experience of OL is a black, rough leather. Imagine some raw hide that has just been processed out of factory and ready to be used for whatever purposes. They have a certain chemical rough smell to them that is well... leathery. And they are not flexible at all. OL also seems more linear to me, after the opening slightly jasmine and fruit smell for less than 10 sec it jumps straight into that fresh raw rough leather smell and it stays like that.

FH on the other hand, smells more complex, much more complex. after the opening of fresh violet leaf ozonic airyness, I can detect chamomile, nutmeg and some floral green sweetness. The leather in FH is soft, supple, and reminds me much more of the texture of a woman's leather glove. or that from a vintage sports car where the leather has been weathered so much that they are very soft and flexible.

Which one I like better? I like FH better because it's more interesting to me. in a sense, it is less rough/masculine than OL but OL gives off a vibe that is very biker like.

If you are a student of leather frags, please do buy both. For mass appeal, I'd recommend FH. For those who want the most authentic leather smell, go for OL.

Neither smells...elegant per se.. but the impression of FH is more acceptable in business settings IMO.
If you are a biker at heart or a fan of PURE LEATHER smell, OL would do you better

in terms of wearability, FH>OL. FH has more freshness so in the summer it's also wearable. Additionally, the new batches of FH have great performance and is more bang for buck
Fire and flame...
...I am for this fragrance!
One thing I have to let Dior yes: Among countless fragrances for me to test, it just had to be Fahrenheit, which landed very high on my list. The name, the reputation to be a "Hate or Love" fragrance, the uniqueness and ultimately the entire presentation have done it to me. At the same time, it is then still said that the fragrance would simply smell like gasoline, which made it not very interesting for me. But wrong thought:
When I sprayed the fragrance on the test strip and smelled it for the first time, I tore open my eyes and looked for a brief moment dumbfounded to the test strip, because this fragrance is really unique and as that is so with unique fragrances, they like to polarize.
I've never smelled anything like Fahrenheit before, but I liked it immediately. I understand the gasoline/engine oil association, but don't think it does the scent justice. Fahrenheit is just so much more!
Incidentally, I expected something sharp, downright smelling of spirit, which makes the fragrance for so many as a gasoline scent. But wrongly thought, Fahrenheit has no sharp after nail polish remover, turpentine or even just to be declared as spicy accord. Fahrenheit picks up somewhat, by that I mean only somewhat, the inherent smell of gasoline and that only mainly in the opening. Since this is supposed to be much more pronounced according to some statements and reviews in the vintage version (My goodness, I must definitely test!), I can well imagine that some rated here from memory.
Otherwise, I can not explain "This smells only of gasoline", because even my untrained nose gets from beginning to end tangerine violet leaf leather in combination with a pinch of chamomile.
All in all, the fragrance strikes me as slightly fruity-green with a distinct leather note.

The durability varies, is with me but mostly at 10-11 hours. Complain can not be there. With the Silllage I had the biggest problems, because I perceive the fragrance itself times, then also a time no longer. I experimented a bit with the number of sprays and even with 15+ sprays, I didn't find myself swooning into unconsciousness once, which I think would have been the case with most fragrances that are a bit more intrusive. So there is something about Fahrenheit that I sometimes notice and sometimes don't. I know the nose gets used to scents, but I haven't wandered that much in between "Is it gone now?" and "No, it's still there!" yet. Certainty there was every time at the latest when the nose wandered to the sprayed wrist, because with the nose on the skin, the scent is, as already noted, very long perceptible.
But I also involved other people who could perceive me a few hours after spraying still clearly, albeit pleasantly. All in all, therefore, not a fragrance that beats up your counterpart still after hours the nose, but definitely more than skin close and thus also above average will make itself felt.

The Falkon, the name, the class sprayer: here really fits everything together.
Exactly the name and the bottle looking like a flame have attracted my attention and enticed me, among other things, to test the fragrance. Nevertheless, there are also here even more beautiful works of art, the cap could also be better.

The bottom line is that Fahrenheit is exactly what I was looking for. He is unique, he is uncompromising, he polarizes. It combines many aspects that I miss in today's selection of fragrances. Certainly a fragrance that will stay with me for a long time and will fill the shopping list in 200ml. I'll also give the Flanker another try, though it'll be hard to top this one. This scent has absolute potential to be a signature scent for small manageable collections, is wearable for young to old and all but the height of summer.
Do not be deterred by the others, test it and form your own opinion.

Thanks for reading!

Drinks
In moderation he is a pleasant companion, a good conversation. The subtlety of florals, spice and vetiver complement the strong leather basis.

Overdo it and he gets obnoxious, unbuttons his shirt, makes inappropriate jokes and starts a fight in the parking lot.
Reflections on Fahrenheit
Fahrenheit gets better and better over the years. By that I don't mean due to any chemical reactions that affect the quality of some wines, similar to the storage of some wines, nor that the perfume is improved with increasing reformulations, but rather that with each further standard mush on the designer field, each further flanker, including those of Fahrenheit, the original Fahrenheit Eau de Toilette stands out more and more and can claim its position as a solitaire. For this reason, it is also why it always needs more comments on Fahrenheit, although about the fragrance, here and in the Internet archive, a lot has already been said.

I can remember my first contact with Fahrenheit exactly. Summer 1990, I was to buy with a perfume, then as a teenager, still with saved pocket money I have very carefully considered what it should be - today you would probably call such a thing as research. My parents' neighbour wore Fahrenheit and during a conversation over the garden fence I was presented with it. The fact that a woman preferred Fahrenheit, which was declared as a men's fragrance, caught my attention before. My choice fell at that time nevertheless on Égoïste - what with its history with Chanel, the left to Bois des Îles and Bois Noir, a completely different, but similarly important place occupies.

Fahrenheit remains a solitaire. Never was a designer perfume with extensive distribution again so crafty and experimental. It is often described as a leather fragrance, but I see it more as a floral perfume, where especially fragrances around violets are skillfully staged, see Jean Doré's excellent comment on the use of methyl octyl carbonate (https://auparfum.bynez.com/fahrenheit,227).

Another reason to revisit Fahrenheit right now is that the current version is again quite a bit closer to older versions. I wonder if the 40th anniversary 1988 - 2018 was the reason for that Seven or eight years ago there was a horrible vanilla-heavy formulation where apparently a bottle of Fahrenheit Absolut fell into the vat - thankfully that's been ironed out, back when I was happy to reach for the excellent Cuir Pleine Fleur as a 'replacement'. I would love to know more about the special solvent/petrol note that is another special Fahrenheit. This one is there too, and perhaps a tad more pronounced and at the same time brighter than before (this idea has been spun on quite cleverly, among others, most notably with Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia and also Comme des Garçons Garage and Tar). Sure, Fahrenheit 2020 smells different from what it did 30 or 40 years ago. Some changes were certainly inevitable, but Dior Parfums doesn't have the best reputation as an ethical house. We are very far from the subtlety displayed here by, for example, YSL when they released their La Collection reissues, or when they reissued Helmut Lang's perfumes. Despite all the differences I see with my currently oldest bottle from 2000, the current version is great
You stand out
Fahrenheit met me the first time in my youth.
In a disco, back when you were still allowed to smoke inside uninhibited when you drank. From a brew of tobacco smoke, sweat and tilted drinks to stick out is not so easy. But Fahrenheit succeeds without any problems.
1 man under 100 put on this scent.... I go every bet that one smells him.
It may have been the environment, the wearer themselves, or both combined. But Fahrenheit reminds me of a pimp.... In the late 70s or early 80s. Gold chain, mustache, an open shirt with chest hair spilling out of it.... Self-centered smile Although I really like the scent, but not everyone can wear it.
Of course, one (s) must be no image described above *laughs* but charisma you need for the already.
He is not for early 20s... Also nothing for early 30s... Unless you are already a man then. Way ahead of his time back then.
H/S is above average. Carefully dosed he also does not annoy.
Micha1984
My life essence and the scent for life... But why only always gasoline?
Fahrenheit, an experience of a special kind. A fragrance that you either love or hate. There is no in between here and you have to be ready for him. This was the case for me very early on and since our first encounter, it has been my memory ever since. I had already written a comment about it in the past, but it pissed off one or the other here, which is why I deleted it again. Therefore, I will only refer to my experience with restraint and try, after a short introduction, to describe the scent as I perceive it. I first noticed Fahrenheit in the late 90s because my stepfather wore and owned it at the time. The scent grabbed me and intrigued me from the first moment. So I associate my youth, my growing up, many great moments and situations with it. Almost no other fragrance brings me back, figuratively and mentally to so many situations as this pearl here. His special character makes him out and just not for every man (s) portable or even bearable. Since he is so concise and special and accompanies me half my life and he is afflicted with so many memories, he has become my Lebeselexier, my signature fragrance.

About the fragrance itself... Many compare Fahrenheit with the smell of gasoline, a garage or used oil... Well I work myself in a workshop and know the daily smells of the above-mentioned liquids and I must unfortunately disagree. Fahrenheit smells primarily of leather, chamomile and violet to me. These notes are very noticeable especially in the top notes, although even then, a slightly woody undertone of cedar and vetiver can be heard. Towards the middle, a nice earthy woodiness opens up, at least in my nose, which I would attribute to the vetiver, accompanied by some spicy nutmeg. The drydown for me is a subtle mix of earthiness, woodiness and a subtle tonka - leather note. That is my perception of this fragrance and for me he awakens, if at all, only in the good old vintage version very distant associations with a petrol note what is probably due to the violet or was.

H+S are I think no longer a comparison with the version of the 90s, because there it was a monster. Nevertheless, I can not complain with my current version regarding lack of or underground H+S. On me, the scent holds with 4 sprays well over 10h+ whereby he projects very well in the first 3-4 hours and is only slowly quiet.

The bottle... i think you do not need to say much about it. Simple, unspectacular but still a good reflection of what is inside. The spray head is not the best and could atomize finer.

Finally, it remains to write that Dior has created here a fragrance that, despite its age, has not fallen into the mainstream, like other colleagues aka 1 Million, Acqua Di Gio or Sauvage.... Its rough edges have since saved it from becoming a dead worn crowdpleaser. As long as he exists, he will always belong to me, just like my memories, my experiences, my life. Thanks for reading. :)
This is how my E46 M3 smells
It's been a long time, but now the fragrance is back in my collection.
I can not help myself, when I close my eyes, it smells first of the engine compartment of my beloved M3 and after a while the sensation moves to the interior to the gray-black leather. Unfortunately, however, it was only a short trip, so about 150 km, there were namely only just under 20 liters in the tank.
Eyes on, I stand on this fragrance, but the durability could be better.
But you can refuel yes ....

CaspikaarCaspikaar 3 months ago
The name says it all.
You could experience this scent in two extremes/perspectives; Extremely cool or super hot. A unique sophisticated gem
BertolucciKBertolucciK 8 months ago
The scent from my teenage years is characterized by a powerful opening with a petrol vibe. In the drydown, a slightly smoked earthy leather.
DemeteraDemetera 10 months ago
Feels old, but well aged, not outdated at all. Smells like leathery-earthy-smoky-gasoline 100% love or hate type, but there is lot to love.
Finerthings8Finerthings8 10 months ago
Love at second sniff . Daring and unusual for a designer brand .takes time to appreciate but definitely worth it.
Eliot65Eliot65 10 months ago
I had a vintage bottle, latest bottles from 19/20 are great, very close to it, they have great smell, longevity and sillage WELL DONE DIOR
Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 1 year ago
Just tried layering this with Dior Homme EDT (2011) today. A match made in heaven! The leather got amped up, with more floral nuances.
HubertGHubertG 1 year ago
Top 10 lifetime fragrances, classic but different, masterpiece from Dior.
NGL7NGL7 2 years ago
Black leather jacket and Chevy Camaro: " 'cos if you wanna run cool
If you wanna run cool, you got to run
On heavy, heavy fuel"
PolarrfoxPolarrfox 2 years ago
You love it or You hate it. Nothing between this. Strong, spicy, masculine scent with lots of licquorice aroma. Parfum is much better.
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
I am amazed Jordan Peterson does not mention this to his fans. Solves any masculinity crisis.

Von Zora inspiriert, vielen Dank!
by Scottie
by Minea
Mensch, wer hat den jetzt wieder in der Sonne stehen lassen?
by Gandix
Mann, der brennt aber die Speiseröhre runter...
Abendglut
by Rasierwasser
Fahrenheit 451
by NuiWhakakore
Für Fresh...ein bisschen Maskulin und ein bisschen Vintage Mercedes Benz 230 SL Pagode
by Kylesa
by Toreter
by Dyniel
by Dyniel

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Parfum) by Dior Hypnotic Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior