Fahrenheit 1988 Eau de Toilette

Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior
Bottle Design Marie-Christine de Sayn-Wittgenstein
Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior for men and was released in 1988. The scent is leathery-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot ChamomileChamomile LavenderLavender Mandarin orangeMandarin orange MaceMace HawthornHawthorn CedarCedar LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnationCarnation HoneysuckleHoneysuckle JasmineJasmine Lily of the valleyLily of the valley NutmegNutmeg SandalwoodSandalwood Violet leafViolet leaf CedarCedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber LeatherLeather MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli Tonka beanTonka bean VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 22.05.2022.

CoutureguruCoutureguru 10 years ago
Every time I wear Fahrenheit (which is only about 3 times a year) I think "why do you wear this one so infrequently?". It's fabulous, gives me a boost...
MuotarekMuotarek 5 years ago
Very cheap smell, i tried it many times and every single time i feel like vomiting, unbearable dry down, it has great longevity and it has its own fans but for me this...

Wilfredo
FAHRENHEIT - SMELL OF GASOLINE!!
A classic. Masculine confidence in a bottle. How your dad smelled in the 80s.

I think every guy owes it to himself to try Fahrenheit on for size - see how it works for you. It can definitely be the 'alpha Wall Street / Corporate bro who time traveled from 1989' vibe if you want it to be. A date or office staple for the mature man.

But it can also be 'young, sleeveless t-shirt, cutoff shorts, tan, speeding in a '87 Camaro in the July heat to 7-Eleven to pick up a slushee, sitting next to a pretty girl who smells like vanilla and coconut and laughs every time you gas it at a yellow light'. Basically, a sexy, young Boomhauer from 'King of the Hill' (with or without the heavy accent, your choice).

It's what I'd assume going to Reno with your best buds in that city's 80s heyday would smell like. It's rowdy and boisterous and sexy. It's classy, masculine but ALSO a bit campy and playful. It's the best attributes of testosterone, bottled. It takes confidence to wear, but can also inspire confidence in the man who wears it. It's for a man who hates (or wants to take a break from) modern men's fragrances.

Guys, go for it. See where it takes you. I can't imagine a well-rounded fragrance collection that doesn't include this absolute mad lad of a scent.

CLASSIC
Fahrenheit edt is a classic perfume that was released in 1988. For me it is one of the most masculine scents I can imagine. Every time I wear it I get nostalgic and think about my youth growing up in the 80's and 90's.
The mix of notes does bring a gasoline vibe. Violet leaf, leather lavender and citrus. Just a great scent you either love or hate. For me it is pure love. Especially the older bottles. Go get a bottle from before 2002 if possible. They really don't make them like that anymore.
Scent Beginner Meets 1991 Fahreheit
Three years ago or so, I wanted to try a new fragrance after wearing CK One exclusively for about 20 years. It may also be that my dear wife wanted to give me a "something new". Together with my wife, we stumbled into the D** at the main train station in Cologne and were approached by a somewhat over-motivated consultant. Shortly thereafter, there were test sprays on all possible body parts - from Bleue de Chanel to TF Noir - until at some point I had had enough and we left the store in a hurry. Then at home I frantically tried to wash it all off... which didn't really go well. It was just horrible.
A few days later, after I had gotten over this shock, my wife rummaged in one of her baskets and pulled out a small red 30ml perfume bottle. The logo and name of the perfume was scuffed beyond recognition. She handed it to me with the words:" Fahrenheit. You used to smell that so often. I thought it was so great back then that I bought it for myself just to smell it now and then." Me: "When, d-a-m-a-l-s?" She back, "Joah, like 1991 or 92". Me like, "Oha, if that hasn't flipped yet. Well, at least it was apparently stored in the dark for all those 30 years.". She again: "No, it's in top condition, I can smell it. I know the scent. But you can forget about the new version. The old stuff is still really good and holds up too."

"Well, okay. Let's give it a try then." Black curved off and on with the stuff (two sprays on the forearm). Tz, tz, ... sniff... uiuiui ... it smells like petrol or kerosene! Is it flammable? And... like freshly cut grass! So strong, it really clears the airways! Does not that violate any EU directives and is such a thing even permissible today?

I then tested it for a while and really liked it. However, I can only wear it in the fall and only on certain occasions (where only 40+ and 50+ walk around), because somehow I feel so oldschool with it that I prefer to spare younger people with it. But otherwise, the scent (from 1991, as it turned out) really is an absolute blast, and I'm amazed at how well the perfume has held up - they probably still used the "good old stuff" back then, stuff and chemicals that are probably long out of bounds today. I have now, after about three years (and a few fragrance experiences older), used half of the 30ml and like to just sniff the bottle. Is a bit like standing at a gas station. I'm still surprised every time how rad this Fahrenheit smells and it still puts a smile on my face. :-)

Petrol king
Violet leaf and nutmeg seem to be the notes which make the gasoline accord in here. On the other side we also have a dominant russian leather supplied by Jean Louis Sieuzac based on birch and juniper tars and styrax resin. If you want a cologne that attracts girls and is macho man masculine as well, go for this. It seems to attract women almost irrationally, pretty weird but Dior has masculine fragances that do that on spades (Eau Sauvage classic in the 1960's which to me smells like 60's Sergio Mendes brasil and was said to even contain pheromones because of how attractive it was, and Sauvage EDT in the modern day...)
The only time i wore this to the city a girl got stuck sniffing my neck and hugging me and i felt the coolest guy on earth when that happened

Farenheit 9-11
Vintage bottles of this fragrance are available online for purchase. I was able to grab a 1.7oz bottle from 1988 and the smell is quite fresh. There is a certain car motor aspect of the fragrance that is very prevalent in the opening and also throughout. Just an FYI. If your planning to buy a bottle and you're interested in a vintage piece, make sure on the bottom of the bottle it says Christian Dior and not just Dior. If it only says Dior then it's a recent bottle which you don't want.. It has 22 different notes in the composition but it's kind of a linear scent. Longevity is ok, even though many people seem to think it's a beast. It's anything but. After 3 hours it becomes a skin scent. I find myself constantly sniffing my wrist to see if it's still there and that's lame. Again I expected much more out of this but that being said the fragrance is not a bad one it's quite good it's different it's bold it's sharp it's spicy it's a lot of things but I'm not sure that if you buy a vintage bottle it would be worth the price which would surely be well over $100. Also i hope that when a seller says it's a vintage item, it's a VINTAGE ITEM. That's the chance u take anytime u go online and buy something from a private seller. Almost all of the time it's what they say it is but THIS? I'm not so sure. I never owned this fragrance when it 1st hit the market. I just recently became interested in it. I paid $145 for a little 1.7oz bottle but the batch code did say 1988 so who knows. I know it's not my skin because i have many fragrances that last all day on me so I'm glad that's not it.
Honigdachs
For the man who wants more
Everything comes together in this fragrance, the freshness of the bergamot, which seems to be balanced by the chamomile very discreetly, not to awaken associations directly, but leaves room so that finally this tart romance of a freshly refueled leather jacket, which does not have to wait long to be perceived by anyone / everyone and either you put on the jacket and feel wrapped and carried, or you leave it on the left because it is too heavy for you.

Was my first signature fragrance, in times when there was still the 30ML filling for 24.95 € or 29.95 €, has then also just enough so a month, because I could not get enough of this fragrance, my environment was there but rather split.

Wear after 15 years this fragrance even regularly.
Nothing to compare with
I had seen the Truffaut film version of FAHRENHEIT 451 after Ray Bradbury. The film had impressed me very much, firstly because of the story (book burnings) and secondly because of Oskar Werner, the brilliant actor, whom I like very much, also because of his great voice. Therefore, I was very taken when I had learned then, there is a perfume called "Fahrenheit".

So bought a bottle of it and applied it, and WOW, what a scent. When you read through all the ingredients, you may not believe that this is all contained. Hawthorn, nutmeg, chamomile, I don't know if that's what makes it smell the way it does.

All I can say is that you can't compare this scent to any other, at least I don't know any that compare. But of course I do not know ALL the fragrances of this world :-)

But I also don't care, because perfumes smell different for everyone anyway and the preferences are also so diverse, so you can't say what smells good and what doesn't anyway. For me, this fragrance is more something for those late summer or early fall days, like now. A pleasant mixture of masculine leather patchouli vetiver and ladylike lavender lily of the valley honeysuckle fragrance mixture.

If you want something out of the ordinary, Fahrenheit is best suited for that, but if you're looking for something lovely and sweet, you're not well advised here, you should rather leave it alone. Although, curious I would be already, if I did not know the yet :-)

Be well and a nice weekend I wish all.

Bleauri
The perfect beginning (for me)
(Note: My first review to the new entry on "Parfumo". In view of many accurate fragrance descriptions and analysis of the components, I will probably only describe quite subjective impressions here.)

My first really expensive perfume, after I had limited myself in my teenage years to "Tabac" and "CD" deodorant, but had already overcome my teenage disdain for sniffing each other. Was I massively influenced by the (TV) advertising for the launch of the brand in 1988? Anyway, for the first time in my life I marched into a local scent temple, tested only this stuff and paid 90,- Mark for the 100 ml. What a freaky smell of gasoline / diesel. For lack of comparison possibilities in the fragrance sector, the question did not arise with me at all: THAT should be a fragrance? After being joined by a few other scents later, I was sure that this is and will remain my signature scent because it is so unique. And which, like my other favorite scents, tells a story, in this case set in an almost post-apocalyptic beach setting with a deep red, setting sun. It could be idyllic, but there are also oil slicks sloshing on the waves and derelict industrial / port facilities rising in the background. In short, I see the vision Terry Gilliam had in mind as a starting point for his film "Brazil". Probably it was the price that made me buy another 100ml bottle once or twice at most after 1988, until I abruptly woke up from a half-sleep dream during a morning nap with my youngest at the end of the noughties and had to have "Fahrenheit" - IMMEDIATELY, UNCONDITIONALLY. A measly 30ml at a naturally (the smaller, the more expensive) disastrous price-performance ratio from the drugstore was procured in hours. Consumed. Afterwards bought again and again and regarded with concern that with various reformulations this powerhouse fragrance degenerates to a pale memory. Nevertheless, a thick recommendation in times of myriads of generic fragrances; this is distinctive!
Standout, iconic, non-conformist
Fahrenheit is certainly one of those fragrances that you simply have to experience for yourself and that you only come close to doing justice to with a written description.

Nevertheless, I give you here times my impression with.

Right up front: the infamous gasoline / petroleum note. When I tested the fragrance for the very first time, I also got a relatively protruding petrol note, which clearly shapes the overall initial impression, of course, in addition to the remaining components of the fragrance.

For the rest of the day, in which I could perceive the smell on me, also came now and then the thought "Hm, really very interesting ... but maybe not a little much after all?"

I admit that from the beginning I wanted to like this fragrance very much because of its image and therefore had to be careful not to tell myself anything wrong.

Over the days, two more tests followed.... and the joy and enthusiasm for Fahrenheit slowly but surely set in!

One indeed gets used to the sharpness and loudness that emerges at first, and comes to enjoy the deep olfactory world of the numerous notes hiding behind, which create a very nice, warm, leathery overall result.
Exactly how I perceive the fragrance by now - as pleasant, warm, complex and always with the feeling of just wearing a brand new, high quality leather jacket. Overall, a fragrance that I will almost certainly keep in my collection for many years to come.

----------------

CONCLUSION So: Definitely test it yourself, and if you have a penchant for the general DNA of the fragrance and don't mind smelling very contrary to the contemporaneous fragrance landscape and you have the personality to embody this willingly, don't be put off. For one or two, this can be a real treasure.

Sillage and durability are above average for an EDT. An interesting scent progression is also present in any case; the fragrance becomes softer and opens more with the hours.

Would there be a version with even longer shelf life, that would be the absolute hammer, but if you reach u.U. equal to the large bottles, the price-performance ratio here is also very, very good.

INDIGOSPHINX
Compare this with TF ombre leather
So.. I have not tried too many leather dominant (not just as a note but truly smells like leather) fragrances. But I think most people are interested in these two so I want to offer some insights on which one you should buy and if you have one should you go for the other

for convenience sake, OL is ombre leather and FH is Fahrenheit

The overall experience of OL is a black, rough leather. Imagine some raw hide that has just been processed out of factory and ready to be used for whatever purposes. They have a certain chemical rough smell to them that is well... leathery. And they are not flexible at all. OL also seems more linear to me, after the opening slightly jasmine and fruit smell for less than 10 sec it jumps straight into that fresh raw rough leather smell and it stays like that.

FH on the other hand, smells more complex, much more complex. after the opening of fresh violet leaf ozonic airyness, I can detect chamomile, nutmeg and some floral green sweetness. The leather in FH is soft, supple, and reminds me much more of the texture of a woman's leather glove. or that from a vintage sports car where the leather has been weathered so much that they are very soft and flexible.

Which one I like better? I like FH better because it's more interesting to me. in a sense, it is less rough/masculine than OL but OL gives off a vibe that is very biker like.

If you are a student of leather frags, please do buy both. For mass appeal, I'd recommend FH. For those who want the most authentic leather smell, go for OL.

Neither smells...elegant per se.. but the impression of FH is more acceptable in business settings IMO.
If you are a biker at heart or a fan of PURE LEATHER smell, OL would do you better

in terms of wearability, FH>OL. FH has more freshness so in the summer it's also wearable. Additionally, the new batches of FH have great performance and is more bang for buck

Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 19 days ago
The stories are right, it smells like an old-timer at the gas station... and I really love it for that. What an unique creation
Maria615Maria615 1 month ago
Masculinity in a bottle! Wear this one guys, and if it doesn't drive all the ladies in your vicinity wild, nothing ever will!
ChicoRoch1ChicoRoch1 7 months ago
Start your engines!!!
LaurentiuLaurentiu 7 months ago
A fresh cut cucumber, spiced and a nice, bold, rough base of leather with a gas vibe. More leather and vetiver in the dry-down. Lovely!
JMWeedJMWeed 8 months ago
Gasoline is not my thing and if I wear this again my wife may kick me out of the house/car
CaspikaarCaspikaar 1 year ago
The name says it all.
You could experience this scent in two extremes/perspectives; Extremely cool or super hot. A unique sophisticated gem
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 years ago
The scent from my teenage years is characterized by a powerful opening with a petrol vibe. In the drydown, a slightly smoked earthy leather.
DemeteraDemetera 2 years ago
Feels old, but well aged, not outdated at all. Smells like leathery-earthy-smoky-gasoline 100% love or hate type, but there is lot to love.
Finerthings8Finerthings8 2 years ago
Love at second sniff . Daring and unusual for a designer brand .takes time to appreciate but definitely worth it.
Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 2 years ago
Just tried layering this with Dior Homme EDT (2011) today. A match made in heaven! The leather got amped up, with more floral nuances.

Von Zora inspiriert, vielen Dank!
by Scottie
by Minea
Mensch, wer hat den jetzt wieder in der Sonne stehen lassen?
by Gandix
Mann, der brennt aber die Speiseröhre runter...
Abendglut
by Rasierwasser
Für Fresh...ein bisschen Maskulin und ein bisschen Vintage Mercedes Benz 230 SL Pagode
by Kylesa
by Dyniel
by Zezick
by Zezick

Popular by Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Homme Cologne (2013) by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior