Fahrenheit (1988)Eau de Toilette

Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior
Bottle Design Marie-Christine de Sayn-Wittgenstein

Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior for men and was released in 1988. The scent is woody-leathery. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Camomile, Lavender, Mandarin, Mace, Hawthorn, Cedar, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Nutmeg, Sandalwood, Violet leaf, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.07.2020.

A straight 10!
I have never smelled this perfume before and I got the chance now, wow what a scent. I am not sure if it reminds me of good childhood times or about someone dear to me in life but I have such a good feeling wearing it. It is manly, classy and goes well with casual wearing more than suit, I have the Reflection Man for that. For me this is a perfect 10, it has a low cost, about 90€ for 200ml, absolute fantastic smell, good longevity and the DIOR quality.

I am in my 30s and I find it perfect for me, maybe it is not good for 20s becasue it has a mature feeling

Rolk70
Myriad of notes (80's classic)
A late 80's scent I sampled at a department store recently that I was not crazy about but I know I will probably learn to enjoy with time. The leather note is a bit too strong for me but it's probably the way it mixes with the violet, cedar and the myriad of other notes in this timeless classic.

One of the best...ever!
Imagine the perfect fragrance for a confident man who knows what he wants. Now repeat with me: FAHRENHEIT. And thats it. No need to say more. One of the best fragrances ever made. The only downside its the performance. I would like to have the vintage formula of this one.
TheOverlook
My Signature / The Billing.
I was about 15 when I discovered the smell. It must have been 2003 when I couldn't get away from it. It wasn't just a perfume or EdT, it was associations that no other fragrance was able to evoke: gasoline, leather, freshly printed book pages, it was hot, ice at the same time, you had to briefly process what you were offered. This violet in the small red, orange and black bottle was really daring. The durability on the skin was good, he developed well, but never to something I did not like. I was able to wear it really well, I always used only one or two squirts. Eventually it became a part of me, although I had other things. If it was important to me, there was only one thing I could do: Fahrenheit.

As a teenager I could afford the fragrance well, there were at that time the 30 ml for fixed 29.95 with the Türkisen, with actions 24.95. Likewise with Margit Krüger with 10% on the 29.95 for under 27. In the Rossmann or Galeria rarely even for 21.95 €.

Often I didn't even need to buy it myself at that time, because I got bigger bottles from family and friends as presents. I wore it for 15 years, and today, before birthdays and the like, I always have to say "please don't give me Fahrenheit". After the last watered down 100 ml bottle (2 years ago) I am almost done with the subject, the scent is a thing of the past for me, which is also good.

How many reforms were actually made to the fragrance? Meanwhile, it leaves something greasy and sweet on my skin, and streaks something that's not really sweet, but rather strange / without depth, but all the more stale and without power. In addition, the current price policy is simply ridiculous for the fragrance as it is today.

Daring was once, now more adapted and character ironed (for a lot of money and little performance).

I still get a little nostalgic when I see him somewhere and spray him, but the hoped-for fire always fails to appear. So much the nicer when you discover something new and learn to love it.

Ps: Every single Fahrenheit Flanker was also worse than the other one for me. When I think of the Aqua, for example, it still scares me, really bad. Unfortunately I got it as a present..

I hope you still like the scent today. For myself there are also good reformulations, which in my opinion have made some fragrances better. How is it with you?
A tribute to a classic
A classic, which I actually only got to know years ago through the enthusiasm of my wife and sister-in-law. A classic, which has been described here very often, but which I would like to dedicate a few lines here as a tribute. Like Chanel, Dior is represented several times in my collection, but only Fahrenheit knows how to inspire me. The staircase joke of the story is that I don't perceive the fragrance as strongly as others. Which is a pity, but that's another matter.
If you follow the voices here, I almost have to think that Fahrenheit is only worn at petrol stations or that an employee of an oil rig once put something into the individual bottles at LVMH when he was unobserved. With respect, such exaggerations are nonsense of course. For some people it might be the most masculine perfume of all times, everyone sees it differently and that's okay.
Actually, I appreciate the very harsh and violent opening note, but it doesn't remind me of a gas station but at most of a kind of gasoline ambroxane, Benzin light. Of course, it still smells extraordinarily strong.

This scent wafts around you more or less strongly and does not show a significant progression. Now Fahrenheit has a variety of ingredients and I would like to try what works how: this harsh prelude smells like bitter-bitter citrus fruits on closer analysis. I can well imagine the mixture of not yet ripe tangerine and lemon. When they dominate, they also change ingredients like lavender into a kind of lavender with a darker aura. In my opinion, camomile is then perfectly suited to this scene, as it is rather dull and mildly tart. So you can certainly derive the top notes if you know them. If I wouldn't do that, I would hardly have been able to smell everything, the individual ingredients seem to have changed.

The good cedar can be found several times and yes, you can clearly perceive it. It constantly plays around Fahrenheit and gives it that slightly sublime, inaccessible aura. Since I have a great affinity for cedar in perfumes, I can only appreciate it. I can also guess carnation, but only because I know that it should be included. The characteristic undertone is then also recognizable. Fahrenheit also has a floral and tart undertone, not the often floral sweetness that accompanies it. Violet leaf is described as green herbaceous, which I cannot confirm and is rather perceptible to me as iris. But I may be wrong, because iris root reminds me of leather and such fragrances, cf. Godolphin.
Let's get to the leather. For me, Fahrenheit is not a classic leather scent, and I can't quite place it either. Like the old guard, it definitely doesn't smell and it is not an early forerunner of modern leather either. For me, leather is more a leather accord, which is staged by means of the iris root. At least that's how it seems to me. Furthermore I find that this leather scent is considerably carried by green-grassy tones, which come across rather harsh like after a heavy rain shower.
All in all a classic, which is said to have almost heroic scent characteristics, which is often exaggerated but in the end is a fine and for me still outstanding scent due to its relative uniqueness. Just compare how many leather-saffron perfumes exist. This may be the advantage of many older fragrances; the DNA is usually no longer copied.

Grey Flannel's son
Please watch the interview of Persolaise with Michel Almairac's son Benjamim Almairac. Michel Almairac should be the one credited for the creation of this masterpiece!

In the interview Benjamim also mentions how this is basically Grey Flannel's son, which is totally understandable.

Hard shell, soft core
Rarely has the saying "hard shell, soft core" hit the nail out of the head better than in Dior's Fahrenheit.

When I think of Fahrenheit, I see a very masculine man, with hair on his chest, cool charisma, who at first glance is not liked by everyone and does not want to be, who appears tough on the outside and always asserts himself in his job. This image is mainly created by the very present rubber/petrol note at the beginning of the fragrance, which will probably repel some people at first.

Like people, you have to engage with Fahrenheit, explore it more deeply and not rely solely on first impressions to experience its full character. The pungent petrol note recedes as the fragrance progresses and is complemented by a pleasantly warm vanilla-like note (I think tonka bean). This also changes the image of the wearer in my head. After work, the tough, unapproachable man becomes a caring husband and father who lovingly takes care of his wife and children.

So this Fahrenheit not only enables us to have an extraordinary fragrance experience, but also teaches us an important lesson: "don't judge a book by its cover!"
That's what makes this fragrance a true legend for me.

The Elixir For The Upper Crust
Dior Fahrenheit made its debut during the late Eighties, the decade defined by great scents with bold personalities that took risks. For instance, think of Davidoff Cool Water, Yves Saint Laurent Kouros, and Chanel Antaeus. For those unfamiliar with this modern classic, unique, and masculine juice, Fahrenheit was packed with floral notes of the less traditional kind (hawthorn, honeysuckle, and a big hit of the violet leaf). The predominant leathery note, I reckon from styrax and musk in the base, perhaps blended with those unusual blossoms, also carried a sign of something abstract, like petroleum products, which is so dirty and addicting. It sounds odd, but it worked, and it is all but alien.

Fahrenheit is the elixir for the Upper Crust only. It combines leathery-woody-floral-musk accords to create a scintillatingly sensual signature fragrance. Be prepared; it opens up with a blast of leather, a kind of like kerosene or gasoline odor, the intoxicating smell of fresh asphalt, a bit stronger than in Fahrenheit original, though, it even features the aggressive use of leather as a top note. Despite the presence of a few citrus fruits like mandarin orange, bergamot, and lemon, the opening is not zesty. This petrol-like accord blends with a fresh, aromatic scent of violet leaves. Shortly after this opening, hints of leather can be detected, adding to the boldness of this fragrance.

The middle, the second layer consists of nutmeg, honeysuckle, sandalwood, violet, and cedar. To my nose, the most predominant notes are the spicy nutmeg and the sweet-floral honeysuckle, and the violet leaves, of course. Although they linger in the background, sandal and cedar keep the middle stage away from being cloying, too floral or too sweet. Now and then, you can also notice a faint hint of cucumber.

The base notes contain leather and vetiver, giving off those strong, earthy smells. In Fahrenheit's dry-down, dusty cedar, sandalwood, and softened patchouli produce dry and warm aromas that remind me of a place where earth and rocks bake under a summer sun. Hours later, the remnants of this have become a skin scent that skews more traditionally masculine with rooty vetiver and animal musk.

I would say that each stage of this cologne is a pleasure to smell. It's more suitable for the fall and winter seasons, or in the colder months of spring. Because it is an intense, bold fragrance, I wouldn't wear it in the summer seasons, or any unusually warm days. Fahrenheit is perfect for evening wear or a night out where you want to give off that overpowering, masculine smell. It is appropriate for men about 25 years of age or older. ​
As far as versatility goes, however, I would not rank this cologne high on that scale. It is undoubtedly not a cologne made for casual, everyday wear. The projection is reliable, and you won't have to worry if your cologne is working with this one. I would say it is on the heavier side, giving off those durable leather and violet redolences.

If you aren't a fan of those strong petrol notes, then you won't like this fragrance. I would not recommend this cologne to someone who prefers a lighter, fresher scent, and not a blind buy. This cologne is a divisive one, people love it or hate it, but it is an iconic men's cologne. But if you do love it, this is a fantastic fragrance with a subtle hint of violet. If you need to feel like a well-groomed bad-ass for a day, try it!

Stay well; stay healthy.

-Elysium

Second Chance
Man, this smells like vaseline. I heard about the gasoline accord but never imagined it literally smells like a petroleum station. I wish I can appreciate this masterpiece but I really can't stand it.

Update:
2months later I reacquired it

Wow. I have changed my mind. The initial vaseline vibe now appears like a really green and transparent violet note.
The leather note gives this thing a backbone that is so so different from the freshies nowadays.

Highly recommend it.
If you hate it the first time, come back now and then and sniff it cause you might change your mind like I did.

This will make you stand out like nothing else. This frag is one of a kind, reminds me of nothing and nothing smell like this bro.

Gasoline station
First of all, this is a masterpiece.
I felt in love with this beauty the first day I smelled it. It was in 2015, when I started my fragrance journey. This one utilise Violet leaf in a way that it feels like it is burning on gasoline. This fragrance was created by the genius Jean-Louis Sieuzac (who created 2 years before, one of the best leather scents of all time - BelAmi). There is a rumour that Michel Almairac helped him with this one. Nonetheless, it is a beautiful sexy Violet. I have a 2002 bottle and it is different from the newer bottles, which I had too. It starts off very green and gasoline-like. It turns more woodier as time goes by. Nutmeg is very strong but I smell more nutmeg on the newer versions, actually. There's some florals too, just to harmonize this almost boozy concoction. It's super unique and very masculine but I don't find it mature at all. I could live only with this fragrance and would be fine to me. The newer batches don't have great performance but it's still good and overall it's a relevant fragrance and a must have! A masterpiece with a unique vibe.

5/5

HubertGHubertG 135 days ago
Top 10 lifetime fragrances, classic but different, masterpiece from Dior.
NGL7NGL7 8 months ago
Black leather jacket and Chevy Camaro: " 'cos if you wanna run cool
If you wanna run cool, you got to run
On heavy, heavy fuel"
PolarrfoxPolarrfox 10 months ago
You love it or You hate it. Nothing between this. Strong, spicy, masculine scent with lots of licquorice aroma. Parfum is much better.
TruckladyTrucklady 13 months ago
I am amazed Jordan Peterson does not mention this to his fans. Solves any masculinity crisis.
ElysiumElysium 14 months ago
You either love it or hate it! The worlds' most contested cologne with its petrol vibe, so manly yet so womanly. I happen to adore it.
Oscarsh86Oscarsh86 15 months ago
I have the vintage. It's stronger and longer lasting.
KingPinKingPin 17 months ago
Ultra classic that feels a bit dated.
Mike1337Mike1337 19 months ago
The burnt wood actually does smell like petrol
Jazzy76Jazzy76 19 months ago
Its atout is the unmistakable violet leaf touch: a gentle and quite Feminine note in a rich and complex masculin very sexy composition
AmberScentAmberScent 21 months ago
An odd scent with gasoline and pepper accords - violet leaf to blaim? It belongs to my dislike group. I wonder why so many people praise it.

Von Zora inspiriert, vielen Dank!
by Scottie
by Gandix
by Gandix
Abendglut
by Rasierwasser
Für Fresh...ein bisschen Maskulin und ein bisschen Vintage Mercedes Benz 230 SL Pagode
by Kylesa
by Sniffler
by Toreter
by Toreter

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Hypnotic Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior