Fahrenheit (1988) Eau de Toilette

Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior
Bottle Design: Marie-Christine de Sayn-Wittgenstein

Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for men and was released in 1988. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Chamomile, Lavender, Mandarin, Mace, Hawthorn, Cedar, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Nutmeg, Sandalwood, Violet leaf, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.07.2019

10.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Start a fire
If one day I glide over the Styx in Hades, "Fahrenheit" will certainly rise into my nose. Like the much quoted images of your life that appear before your mind's eye when you have lost the arm-wrestling against the Sensemann. Out of temporary carelessness or weakness, planned arbitrariness or simply the accidental passing away of your courage to live. The olfactory fragments of memories of formative experiences, especially loved or hated people, of the elemental force with which this fragrance appealed to my confused and hormonally shaken synapses at the end of the cursed eighties.

There was a revolt in me. Between deep sadness and inconceivable rage, at the mercy of a deadly cocktail of longing, hormonal fornication and impulsive disorientation, I experienced this Molotov cocktail of leather and petroleum as the fragrant example of antithesis par excellence. Here everything collapsed, went up in flames and formed something new in front of my young eyes. Something my father hated. The way he hated my music. And that was exactly what I wanted and longed for. The open and substantial conflict with everything that wanted to make me what I am today. Twin Peaks" flickered on the screen, while my heroes had something to say about special topics like "Black Celebration", "A forest" or "Romeo´s Distress" and caused a complete lack of understanding of my environment, because I was staggering through the wasteland of my North German homeland with eyes smeared with kajal and black clothes. From high to low, from love to disappointment, from friend to friend, from plan A to plan B.......always with this scent in their luggage, which would only later become the figurehead for suburban athletes.

Which, by the way, doesn't bother me to this day, since I've been able to experience all the classics of fragrance history in matching and less matching figures and had to appreciate "Fahrenheit" for its changeability. I actually feel it on some men as loud, proliferous and out of time. Others are almost arty and strangely bizarre. Almost bizarre and for others mercilessly romantic and warm. Dior´s Kassenschlager also offers similar flexibility with regard to the ideal weather conditions for its use. No other fragrance fits so well with everything that dear Peter can conjure up.

Surely this composition has lost some of its consistency and the revolutionary approach that made it so unique at the time is no longer so ubiquitous in a world with countless alternatives and a niche segment that floods the market with a dozen fragrances almost every day, but a test is still worth it. Despite all the reformulations, "Fahrenheit" is still one of the spearheads of modern men's fragrances, the impact of which cannot really be disputed. My personal taste has never been so deeply influenced by a fragrance as this juxtaposition of flowery aspects and this dark leather, this symbiosis of cool topping and warming and comforting base. "Fahrenheit" is a legacy of a time when commercial prospects and expectations have not yet completely overshadowed the creativity of creation. A relic, but also living proof of courage and daring. In many ways and today above all for the courage within you to stand for who you really are.
9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Fahrenheit has temperature
A fragrance (80's) which is a little old but still fascinates me with every time I spray it on.

I personally like to wear it to work because it is very unobtrusive and not too sweet. I think sweet in the metal business doesn't fit so well somehow and Fahrenheit is very neutral here. A worker approached me several times about this scent, his statement: "It smells so grown-up." And I often notice that people come closer to you than usual, probably because he is attractive and they simply want to perceive him more closely. Probably I would react similarly if I smelled him where :)

In connection with Fahrenheit, I also often encounter a teacher from my childhood who must have worn this perfume. At that time I would have described this perfume as very metallic, because I always thought that this teacher smelled like iron, but very confident and good. At least that's how I remember it. It would have interested me already at that time which perfume the teacher wears, only I did not dare to ask at that time. For me a very interesting perfume!!

So I can only recommend this fragrance, at least if you have created a perfume collection like me, then Fahrenheit should not be missing.

LG Christian
8.0 8.0 7.0 8.0/10

Norleans
Hardly still to be found
I grew up with Fahrenheit, at least almost. I, class of '79. Fahrenheit, class of '88.
My earliest perfume memories include Derringer (the one with the cool pistol motif on the bottle) and Diors Fahrenheit. My father liked to wear both at the time, but then he got stuck with Fahrenheit. Derringer is long since extinct and if you find a bottle in the net, the investment is very high and the danger to get an upset smell even higher.
I don't know if I'd recognize Derringer today either. It's a different story with Fahrenheit. In real life I haven't noticed this scent for a long time and meanwhile there are quite a lot of flankers and even the original....who knows.......reformulated....earlier better.....durability miserable..... etc. :-)
My father hasn't bought Fahrenheit in many years. He is well supplied with supplies by my mother (MFK Masculin Pluriel, Bottega Veneta pH, various TFs etc.). All good to very good scents, for me even much better than Fahrenheit. But not Fahrenheit and not my memories either.

This unbelievably flowery thing that I have always noticed here, this freshness! And these holidays, oh, these memories of great childhood. Just great. But for me it is still an unwearable scent in the original. I don't know, is it the chamomile? Is it the carnation or the violet leaf? This smell smells terrible on me. In addition it is aggravating that this smell will remain stored forever under my father, I can never "enjoy" it unbiasedly.
Clearly a (mainstream) classic of the new perfume era, a big one. But since I haven't smelled him in the wild for a very, very long time, I believe that he has had his great time behind him. And I think that's good.

Lover of this fragrance I would like to ask for forgiveness.

Thanks for reading.
9.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

JetonToni
The scent that reflects the "fragile" soul of a man.
It's windy, it's stormy. The Mariah Carey song Till The End Of Time sounds. This is how you can imagine this fragrance, this masterpiece by Dior. Fahrenheit perfectly reflects the soul of a man who loves the summer (because of the hay note, in this fragrance), because Fahrenheit is summer, rustic and cosy because of the hay note I have described.

On a windy autumn and winter day, the fragrance provides comfort and warmth through its balsamic note. Because Fahrenheit is (ice-)cold like the polar Antarctic and blazing like a fire at the same time. Depending on the season, the scent changes as well.

The main note in this fragrance is a hay note and a "lead note" reminiscent of aldehyde. I don't smell gasoline like some people say. Possibly a slightly herbaceous shimmering floral note. But the comparison with petrol is still interesting. Also a very nice leathery note shows up in the course.

If Fahrenheit were a song, it would be Till The End Of Time. The fragrance is soft on one side and lively on the other: Romantic, but still strong. Erotic, but not vulgar. Gentleman but no macho.
Fahrenheit is reminiscent of desert, but at the same time also reminiscent of Antarctica (where we again have the associations of heat and cold).
It reflects, as I said, the fragile soul of a man with a strong aura. After some time I smell a balsamic spicy honey note (or is it beeswax ?), which is hardly noticeable, but gives the scent a silky nuance.

The bottle in dark and reddish tones perfectly reproduces the fragrance. The Sillage and durability is very good (at least in the vintage version). My version is from the year 1992. Unfortunately this fragrance is also adapted to the spirit of the times and smells accordingly different, more relaxed than the old (much more intensive, pronounced) version. Durability is around 12 hours with large sillage on the Vintage version.

The old version is the better choice. My choice. My Fahrenheit. My statement!
The current Fahrenheit may have been stolen from me!
9.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

ScentSlave
I gotta roll back to the classics once in a while....
...and this is the first one I reach for; such a unique fragrance, even to this day. It’s so intense on the startup, and oh so sexy on the dry down... it SCREAMS “lets finish this in the bedroom”...

So HOT and fiery, is that spicy “petro-leather” dry down... and it leaves you, as the WEARER, ready to conquer... while leaving the one(s) you are going to conquer entangled in an intoxicated state of bliss... You HAVE to be CONFIDENT enough to pull it off; but if you are.... you will be the truest conquistador indeed.

For me it fades to skin scent quickly (within 2hours), but it’s rather spicy and loud in that skin scent phase, and like I said, it’s a VERY sexy, seductive aroma that resonates.
9.0 9.0 9.0 9.0/10

Great classic
It was in the 80's, we were young...fresh, carefree and above all carefree.

Yes, at that time when we still looked in the D&W Tuning catalogue for spoilers, rims and lightly dressed ladies.

We still had the D Mark,Commodore computers etc

That's when Fahrenheit was born!

I can still remember today that I was addressed several times on this smell positively.

Now, over 30 years later I sometimes still wear it and it comes so many memories

to the surface...from back when we were young and carefree in a good time!

I allow myself to spare you the description of the individual fragrances.

These have already been described very beautifully and excellently here.
5.0/10

Now little persuasive made
The perfumer of the original was Jean-Louis Sieuzac. The same one also composed "Or Black" - before. The component Iso-E-Super, which was strongly overdosed for the conditions at that time, is conspicuous. That makes smoothness and radiance and fullness. In "Or Black" it creates a dark suction and, together with the typical "fougere" components, a strong chemical smell of petroleum. It smells pleasantly masculine, technically.

Fahrenheit is said to have a refined direction - gasoline. I can't understand this with the current version. Apparently, the "violet leaf" has been greatly reduced. That alone produced the impression of disgusting chemistry, as one would expect from modern fougere-perfumes, and it is correspondingly bitterly lacking here. See also "Grey Flannel".

What remains is "mandarin", therefore slightly bitter orange with sweetness, then leathery/woody flat Iso-E-Super. I still find the desire to present something special. However, the design (meanwhile?) is so flat, that a satisfactory total pressure does not want to result. As so often, the refinement in adapting to a (only imagined?) taste of the times has fallen by the wayside.
6.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Woman catchers
Fahrenheit in its current version appeals to me today as much as it did when the fragrance and I were young. The spices in the head and heart notes combine with the tonka bean in the base to form a cosy warmth that captures me. The mandarin gives freshness at first spraying, and jasmine and lily of the valley bring in something playful, which arouses interest together with the spices. I'd like to sniff it out, dive in, explore it. Spices and mandarins - and yet it doesn't smell a bit Christmassy. Although I cannot imagine the smell in the hottest summer now also necessarily. Petrol? I don't smell it, but I know what the previous speaker means. I don't know which component is responsible for it, but that's what gives this fragrance a kick, makes it unique, headstrong and self-confident. Now as a woman I can only hope that its wearer keeps what the fragrance promises.
10.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Petrol sniffer
It was in the summer of 1990 when my father had been given Fahrenheit by my big brother for his birthday, I loved it from the first sniff ! This petrol vibe in a men's perfume fascinated me ! My father, who quickly returned to Azzaro, left this masterpiece with a slight contempt. This was my chance, I thought! I used it then just in primary school alternately with my Old Spice :D my primary school teacher might have loved me because of my penchant for very masculine scents :D since this bottle was empty in 1995 then none followed until I started 2018 with my passion for scents properly! The current version (my batch is from 2018) smells exactly like I had it in my memory, so a strict fuel note when spraying on durability 8 hours in moderate weather in summer makes it sometimes half limp. This re-formulation is really good have no desire for more or a vintage bottle! Every time I wore Fahrenheit in public this year I was asked at least 1 time whether it is Fahrenheit and that it smells so good and for some women Fahrenheit is still very attractive today! Fahrenheit forever!
10.0 8.0 8.0 9.5/10

Fahrenheit - Christian Dior
30 years since its release, my video review is specifically about my 2015 bottle and including my early impressions of a vintage I owned in the early 90s

7.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Jazzy76
Son of the late '80es (with a gentle heart)
Rich, complex, almost weird, but irresistible: this is to me Fahrenheit by Dior, a typical son of the late Eighties. Its name is the same of the inventor of the famous thermic scale and the warm coulours of the bottle suggest something burning
I discovered this incredible scent when I was only 14 and my cousin's boyfriend usually worre this perfume: when i decided to ask him the name of his perfume He said : "It's Fahrenheit by Dior!"
Immediately I searched for this perfume because I smelled in it something unusual flr a masculin fragrance, although I didn't know what it could be, and I was too attracted. What a surprise when i discovered that my cousin gave me as a birthday gift a little bottle of this scent!
After may years, when I began to be interested in perfumes , essences and olfactive pyramids, I finally discovered what was the "secret ingredient" of this scent which made me go out of my head. the violet leaf note!
Today I had the same good vibrations smelling on the mouillette and on my skin too this composition at my favourite drugstore: first of all, I smelled the citrusy-aromatic opening accord, then my favourite note arrived to my nose : gentle, vibrant, accompanied by a choir of flowery notes and spices. At the base, a wonderful and warm leather note made more interesting by the amber touch and a good balanced patchouli note, not too earthy.
The sillage is wonderful, as well as the longevity, although the price is high (don't forget that we're talking about a Dior's creation), but the composition nowadays too seems (at least to me) the same of the original version .
I think that the atout of this scent is its quite "feminine"heart well harmonised with the other traditional and more masculin notes. Anyway, it reamins to me a must have in a perfumes collection and it could be worn by women too, to dare with irony and a touch of malice.
9.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Heli23
No EDT, no EDP but Dior Fahrenheit PED (Performance Enhancing Fragrance)
You can only improve performance where there is performance. The fragrance is not a self-runner, it wants to work with you and needs the right mental setting of the wearer. If that's true, this scent drives you forward like doped! Since one should not drive however constantly in the red speed range, this is also no everyday fuel.

If you press the Snooze button eight times in the morning on your alarm clock and just don't get into gear with your Monday mood, you don't need to apply Fahrenheit at all.

You get up motivated and full of energy at 4:30 in the morning. After the morning exercise you slip into your all black outfit freshly showered and say to yourself full of productivity: "Today I'll get down to it! Then give yourself two or three sprays of Fahrenheit and you'll notice with the first scent that your engine is at operating temperature.
It's a long day ahead of you, but you know the durability of the fragrance won't let you down.

The key word is confidence. The scent smells like a determined leader who is not afraid to get his hands dirty. A rich fragrance process that develops great on the skin and depending on skin temperature pulsating scents from the body emitted. One is partly surprised from day to day and discovers new scents.
Fahrenheit can be wild, animalistic and full of testosterone. Modern, clean and noble like leather. Seductive and flowery sweet. And the whole thing is full of perseverance. Simply a timeless machine this fragrance.

If one supports with doping substances, then it is recommended to do this with 25+, if the person is fully grown and self reflective enough.
Compliments come rather from more mature ladies who also know what they want.

If you think evil now, you will see a blunt narcissist as carrier ;)
Dior Fahrenheit is a multi-dimensional fragrance for people who feel comfortable in their skin. With this complexity it enables the development of a multi-dimensional character.

Good ride with Fahrenheit
9.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Snaporaz
When I learned to sit still on the plane
The eighties: that was for me during the holidays the time of city trips with my parents. London, Amsterdam, Paris... later long distance. At that time flying was a little more expensive than today, but we were part of the group of standby passengers: checking in on time, arriving at the gate even more punctually. You were not allowed on board until all passengers had boarded. Then it was the turn of the Staff and his family. Therefore we could be assigned 'First Class' or a Jumpseat. For me as a child, the latter was of course not a problem. In case of doubt, a glance at the seniority of the employee could decide on the flight and thus the trip. It was not uncommon for it to remain exciting whether we even flew with them and it was not uncommon for there to be intrigues between the employees of the aviation company.

Breakthrough, vibrating waiting at the gate. The thought always present, how the thing with the suitcases ends - these have already been loaded into the plane.

-In this situation no other fragrance fitted better than Fahrenheit; omnipresent with my father.
Of course, the properties of chamomile such as 'soothing' or 'relaxing' in this fragrance need to be thoroughly reconsidered. Here camomile and lavender dominate in an unmistakable way. Primed, among other ingredients, by the very sharp and headstrong Vetiver. A fragrance of high tension and straightforwardness.

Fahrenheit made history. Even though he is not one of the ancestors, he is still a classic and absolutely unmistakable. He's unique. Camomile and lavender, both components of many feel-good fragrances, are so unmistakably integrated here with the austerity of vetiver and leather.
He's a big one. He has conveyed a zeitgeist of the end of the 80s. Back then in a very new way.
10.0 7.0 8.0 3.5/10

Fresh21
How do I tell my community?
Hello,

i would like to welcome you to today's Creative Course. The best thing is to introduce yourself and say why you are participating ... Start right away, please.

"Najut, then womama ... so, Tachchen ersma, ick bin dr Manni, ... and mene Jötterjattin ment, nu is end withn dependencies, ick sollmawat do creative things. Well, this is binick."

"Well, that's a big reason... Hash'dn at home niksch to dua? Keu Häuschle, where you can go out in it? So sagamaaa ...."

"Listen, treasure knot, will you introduce yourself, or spaad you by your name? Nixfürunjut, ... jestattn, I'm in the office and I'm in the office because I'm the boss mint, I'm supposed to be in the job."
"Aleksandra, and away lies Depresschion ..."

"Na dettisjiud, orijinal schwäbisch, or jeet det noch ausführlicha?"

But please dear participants, we are not here to argue, but to be creative.

"... yes, then I'll say it again, you're not going to catch a mung jefalle!"

Who, ... I?

"Well, who else? I b'st'mmt net..."

Well, actually creativity has always been my strength, but recently I joined a community and ... there are a lot of creative people, especially this Schoork.

"Un?"

Well, he's got a great story every time he puts his perfume comments into. Fully creative, and since then ..., I simply don't have the words, and I would like to hide out most of all.

"So desch with 'm V'rkriescha, desch kenni ... "

"... ick glob ick spider. 'N Creative who is kener!"

"Five Kölsch andat klapp rader ... jokes ...but why do you do that more often than not? Try it again! ... Gezz ... hau russ ming Jung, ... be loose and creative dabey."

Well, I don't know. Here? In front of them?
"Yeah, sure dat !"

All right ... um um, so ... umm ... this Fahrenheit, who ... he smells so ... uninhibitedly like gasoline, ... that I could just as well tap the next pit stop myself and tap the artery.

"...sorry, but det wajanu allet others than creative!"

I'm telling you, I can't do it.

"Oh watt, just try it again, best with ten Kölsch, that's always jutjejange!"

No, thanks.

"...and where can I get my money back?"

P.S. This Schoork style commi is a tribute to his creativity, which seems to be an infinite pool of ideas and has made us laugh so often for several months now. Thanks for that, and no, there are no Schoorks next to you ;-) Because in reality this "creative contribution" is just another variant of the Verriss camouflage discussed in my latest blog ;-) "How do I tell my community? (Part1)" That's why I took the liberty of publishing this Kommi as a continuation blog for those not interested in Fahrenheit.

P.P.S. translations of the dialects used are included in the course fee and can be requested at any time.
8.0 7.0 9.0 8.5/10

The classic
This scent evokes memories from the past and is the scent of the eighties, early nineties. It's still possible today, but it doesn't have to be
9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Fire walk with me...
...yes a little reference with Twin Peaks. It was at pick in same time when Lynch throw us that mystic and so different episodes from other sitcoms. For me there are similarity, it was bold, interesting, and have your 100 % attention.
It is also full understandable why someone hate this smell because it is one of hate or love smells, but I do not think that anybody can be straight line with it.
Even now this fragrance (nevertheless it was weaken from original), is pure fire, and when you think designer scent I can bet in top 5 what-smell-you-imagine-with-leather-jacket. And if I look now to main straight designer perfumes it again have superiority to be bold and not even a close infantile smell which new modern masculine fragrance have.
For me I like to wear on evening and special dates, but really it can be (if that person can endure), wear everyday, even for work (with less over spray), and you will be different and sure be noticed in positive way.
I do not have luck to taste original late 80s and early 90s because i was too young, but now for sure it can endure to 8 hours which is ok. Ofc, silage first 2-3 hours is great, after linear come down to skin, but it is not light skin scent even then.
For now this is my signature, because every time it take me to that journey with fire, red curtain and mesmerizing feeling.

Gingi
I think Fahrenheit used to be great.... on me!!!
This is my first comment, please forgive me. At Douglas, a long time ago, when this fragrance was launched, I got a rehearsal. I used it, not knowing it was a men's scent. I loved the scent on me. My jaw fell down when I couldn't find any women's fragrances on Dior's shelves and a consultant sent me to the men's fragrances (even more manageable at that time). I bought a bottle and I liked to use it. Until the fragrance then became too "popular", and every man felt whether young or old smelled of it. Today, when the hype is over again, I still use Fahrenheit sometimes in winter, layered with rose...
7.0 9.0 9.0 8.0/10

The young savages...
we weren't just students. But this scent has done the rest. At that time a roommate had a bottle on which we poor students were allowed to serve us before every party night. And so it came that in the beginning of the 20's we mostly pulled a huge Fahrenheit cloud behind us in packs of 5. And so this harsh and dark classic was chosen as our definitive club fragrance. We felt more masculine, more mature and more sublime. Ideal conditions for a successful celebration night. Now I wear it mostly in winter. Every time I put it on, memories of wild and drunken nights come up. But now the scent has changed together with me. He, too, has matured and repelled his horns. A kind of Rolling Stone of the present...
8.0 9.0 10.0 9.0/10

Flaconist92
Strong character, very masculine masterpiece
First of all, I have to make it quite clear: I don't know previous versions of this perfume, so I can't judge whether it was stronger or better. I've been a fan of the Fahrenheit series for several months and already have the perfume and the cologne. Fact for me is one thing: This is one of the most sophisticated and eye-catching fragrances for men. Certainly not everyone's taste, but often heard descriptions like "smelling like the gas station attendant", "car mechatronics smell" or the like do the smell wrong. The leather base note is omnipresent. The citric top note may also be briefly added at the beginning. Keeps on cold and warm skin for up to half a day. What else can you expect from an EdT? That's as good as it gets! If according to the descriptions the scent is supposed to have been more intense in the past, then it must have knocked people down by the dozen. Anyway, now he's reached perfection. The Sillage is still stunning. Therefore apply sparingly! Due to the tannin leather note certainly not suitable for every occasion.
Merci DIOR. Thumbs up.
8.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10

Everything fits
...it is Fahrenheit, this unmistakable fragrance, which either suits the wearer or not. Apart from my love for this fragrance, which has been with me for more than 30 years, it is everything I expect from a good perfume. Only the first perception when taking off the cap confirms to me again and again that he has his right to exist in the circle of evergreens and must still have decades. In fact, I think he's changed something to his disadvantage over the years. Although not quite as dramatic as the artificial taste of today's Fanta in comparison to the orangigen of the 70s, a kind of imitation or worse is to be recognized. Nevertheless, Fahrenheit remains an integral part of my few fragrances.

Trucklady 39 days ago
I am amazed Jordan Peterson does not mention this to his fans. Solves any masculinity crisis.
6.0
9.0
Elysium 64 days ago
You either love it or hate it! The worlds' most contested cologne with its petrol vibe, so manly yet so womanly. I happen to adore it.+1
Oscarsh86 98 days ago
I have the vintage. It's stronger and longer lasting.+1
KingPin 145 days ago
Ultra classic that feels a bit dated.+1
Mike1337 7 months ago
The burnt wood actually does smell like petrol+1
Jazzy76 8 months ago
Its atout is the unmistakable violet leaf touch: a gentle and quite Feminine note in a rich and complex masculin very sexy composition+2
AmberScent 9 months ago
An odd scent with gasoline and pepper accords - violet leaf to blaim? It belongs to my dislike group. I wonder why so many people praise it.+2
5.0
DavidBraz 10 months ago
Masculine with a strong leather. Can be cloying in the dry down it you apply to much. People recognize it easily. Not a complimment getter+1
9.0
Carlitos01 16 months ago
I love this scent 15 minutes after spraying. The initial gasoline gasoline accord makes me puke. I rate 0 in the top notes and 10 elsewhere.+2
Moenti 17 months ago
You can love a milestone, you can hate a milestone... the milestone doesn't care.+4
Fqjcior 19 months ago
A masterpiece and a game changer. One of a few really great perfumes in history. Timeless classic. A work of courage and genius. A winner.+3
10.0

Von Zora inspiriert, vielen Dank!
by Scottie
by Minea
by Minea
by Mustang69
Für Fresh...ein bisschen Maskulin und ein bisschen Vintage Mercedes Benz 230 SL Pagode
by Kylesa