Hypnotic Poison (1998) Eau de Toilette

Hypnotic Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior
Hypnotic Poison (Eau de Toilette) (Dior / Christian Dior)
Hypnotic Poison (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for women and was released in 1998. The scent is sweet-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesApricot, Coconut, Plum, Pimento
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Rosewood, Tuberose
Base Notes Base NotesAlmond, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.09.2018

Scent 9.0/10
GMK
What else a Man wants.......
No female fragrances attracts me rather hits me like this hypnotic beauty , its Seductive, sensuous, flirtatious and yes provocative. I get voluptuous Frangipani/almond accord with a hint of tuberose making the blend very lovely and pleasing.
Every time i get a whiff of this charismatic and mysteriously beautiful scent , i just want to sniff it more & more and its really difficult to resist this.
As a men I consider this as a legendary female fragrance along with a few others.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Mmm.. Sexy, dark and heavy.
My first impression of this went something like, 'Ah, a nice & bold vanilla scent, but is it really hypnot- ohhh. There it is!' Something in this concoction tickles the very back of your nose and gives you a lightheaded sensation, similar to that satisfaction you feel after a good sneeze.

It's got a boozy quality, as well (I was certain it had to be bourbon vanilla before I read the notes more closely). To me, this smells almost exactly like Yves Rocher's Vanille Noire (which somehow, I discovered first). Lastly, this juice packs a serious punch - it lasts all day. Absolutely deserving of its name.
Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.5/10
It Will Kill You Soflty
Of all Dior's Poisons, Hypnotic is certainly the one that most literally captures the idea of poison: the sweet, unmistakable scent of almonds is actually given by the cyanide that these seeds harbour in small doses. So basically, Hypnotic Poison does smell like cyanide poison and it's both deliciously hypnotic and subliminally fatal.

The union of vanilla and almond is creamy and luscious and envelops you in a snug cocoon for the whole day, drawing compliments at every step. The coconut adds a touch of exoticism, while the tuberose provides a subtile rubbery feel that’s rather sexual in nature.

HP’s sharpest weapons are mostly hidden, but none the less effective. Underneath the fluffy cloud of playful vanillic sweetness lurk the carnal sensuality of the tuberose, the dangerous menace of the cyanide traces, the juicy darkness of the plum, the oriental mystery of the sandalwood.

So although it may appear to be merely another sweet perfume, there’s substantial depth and complexity to the formula. Clearly a lot of thought went into this perfume, rendering it a conceptual masterpiece, a both beautiful and meaningful creation.

Unfortunately there have been reformulations along the years that have altered the original perfection of HP. I had the opportunity to test both the original formula and 2 of its subsequent reformulations. Up to 2012, the smell was kept more or less intact, with primarily the lasting power and projection being weakened. I cannot speak though for the latest reformulation, which I hear is a more dramatic alteration.

If you are lucky enough to find it, buy the original version, or at least one that is produced before 2013.
Scent 8.0/10
One I can wear
Stepping through my Diors, this is the first one I find wearable (of J'Adore and Poison) and it's a gem. It's a rich and sophisticated fruity gourmand surrounding beautiful florals and though I do still get a vague synthetic undertone, as in J'Adore, and a very mild trace of zoo, as in Poison, this time they work much better. Not sure which formulation I have, but it's a scent I could wear all day. Think marzipan among the flowers and you're close.
~ Sexy Poison ~
~ After sampling this "poison" once I was enchanted enough by it's spell to write a whimsical poem on it's appropriately named hypnotic notes. After sampling it multiple times at the perfume counter I feel qualified to give this man's opinion on this magical elixir! This may very well be the best dominant vanilla 'fume on the market pasts or present, absolutely enchanting! This is a scandalous, sexy scent but also at the same time very comforting thanks to the creamy gourmand almond note. It could be considered unisex by some with it's famous "rootbeer" vibe? But I prefer to keep this in my nose and mind exclusively as a creation for an alluring woman. A delicious creamy vanilla, almond, coconut compliment getter for sure! As one line I wrote in my poem asks, "Did Madame Menardo mix you in her cauldron a magic elixir for the nose of Macbeth or men who are lost." Ladies do you want to inspire the romantic poet in your own significant this Valentines day? Spray this long lasting, spellbinding formula and he will be play-doh in your hands!
Kind Regards, Plat ~
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Foggy Mists On A Damp Day
Best of the three, this is a Poison I can survive with on a daily basis. This Poison's fumes expand and grow minute by minute, giving you an ultimately powdered, spicy experience. Reminiscent of true orientals from yesteryear, it delivers a solid, steady wood-filled punch for hours.
I love when perfumes give me images when I wear them. It makes wearing them all the more interesting.
Veils of foggy mists on undulating mountains, overlooking lush valleys interspersed with lakes on a raw, damp day. The air is chilled and the grey skies won't let the sun through. It's a bit soggy underfoot, the pine needles are soft and quiet as I am walking. An occasional branch snaps as I maneuver through the trails. Pillars of evergreens form an open roof above me. That's where Hypnotic Poison takes me.
It's a cool weather scent that I haven't become tired of and reach for regularly.
Hypnotic Poison
Oh how I wanted to love this! Unfortunately it does not love me! There is a note in this that just does not agree with me. There is a beautiful warmth and creaminess to this fragrance that I love. The vanilla in it is deep and inspired. However, there is something else in it that gives me a wretched headache and almost makes me feel nauseated. It's really too bad. The fragrance is very well done and top notch quality. I will have to stick with Pure Poison, it seems to like me a lot better!
Deliciously dangerous
(The listed notes make absolutely no sense to me, but my bottle is from 2000, before any reformulation had occured)

What poison is derived from bitter almonds? Cyanide. And this perfume conveys exactly that: The initial bite of bitter almonds followed by the glassy eyed hypnosis of a near death experience... In a good way. Really, I swear! *wink* (btw cyanide is also a component found in apple seeds and apricot pits)

I find the bitter almond to be evident right in the top notes, in this, it tentalizes and compells from the get go, right into a heady jasmine spiced up with caraway seed: unusual and delectable. The scent is then underlined with sandalwood, vanilla and a lot of musk, every drop speaks of beguiling seduction in a voice so bewitching it could probably raise the dead, lol.
Sensual, yummy and dangerous. A fabulous combination, for a perfume.

Now, the original one had lasting power that could defy time itself, but I have heard that the new stuff is downright flighty, unfortunately. So if you can get a bottle that does not have the golden ring at the top, and is mat as opposed to shiny, pounce on it ferociously and treat yourself to something really special.
Dior is infamous for having the absolute worst reformulations ever in the entire world of the perfume industry, so looking for vintages of that house is usually worth the time and money.
Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 6.0/10
Cuddly yet fiery vanilla
If you're looking for a fragrance that has a dominant note of vanilla, Hypnotic Poison would be your best choice. The vanilla in this perfume is rich, foody and realistic, just like you've rubbed vanilla essence onto your skin.

I can't help feeling comforted when wearing this scent. When applied lightly, this fragrance is soft and soothing, only drifting up towards your nose to greet you with its scent every now and then.

I don't actually find this fragrance sexy, to me Hypnotic Poison is more romantic, casual almost. Its striking red bottle which suggests that its contents are indeed quite poisonous and hypnotising, doesn't seem to match the scent in my personal opinion. I'd describe Hypnotic Poison as being feminine, warm, friendly and slightly musky rather than outrageously sexy or seductive.

Apart from the obvious vanilla note, there are subtle hints of coconut, spices and almond throughout, which makes Hypnotic Poison more of a gourmand rather than an oriental vanilla.

The lasting power is great, yet I wouldn't have expected anything less from a house like Dior. This perfume is the vanilla fragrance that I've always wanted to find, it's actually the way The Body Shop's Vanilla oil should have smelt. A true vanilla scent of undeniable quality and appeal.
Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Almond cookie in a bottle
Vintage: Hypnotic Poison is a very well constructed & balanced perfume. It opens up with a nice bitter almond & vanilla accord which soon gives way to my nose a butter note that comes along & makes this a lil creamy.

I get a nice sugar cookie scent in the beginning that makes me want to bake! But that butter note just does not go away which is fine by me, because after a hour & a half the vanilla comes along with the woods to create a beautiful cake like substance!

Towards the end of this frag I get a somewhat disturbing plastic/glue feeling from this but it does not bother me to the point I want to scrub it off. The beginning & the middle are the best parts of HP! It last roughly 8 - 10 hours on me which is great for an EDT! Projection for me is ok, but nevertheless a beautiful addition to the Poison lineup! This can easily be worn by a man as well so if your the curious guy & you have been wanting to test this but have been scared/nervous because of the marketing concept SNAP OUT OF IT!!! Another + in the books for Dior!

Alex1984 12 months ago
Diable Rouge edp, 1998; maxed out futurama! The most potent and beautiful almond, vanilla, musk and heliotrope. Poisonous comfort elixir!+3
Bottle 10.0