Hypnotic Poison 1998 Eau de Toilette

Hypnotic Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior
Hypnotic Poison (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior for women and was released in 1998. The scent is sweet-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesApricotApricot
CoconutCoconut
PlumPlum
PimentoPimento
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmineJasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
RoseRose
RosewoodRosewood
TuberoseTuberose
Base Notes Base NotesAlmondAlmond
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 18.10.2021.

A love that never ends
I'm writing my review on the much-maligned new version, which has sadly lost steam but still holds its magic and luster.

I knew HP already longer, back then I wore him even times to work, of course, only with mini dosage. The fragrance has always been very positively received. Then I lost track of the fragrance, and got to know other, supposedly better candidates!

But I have never forgotten Hypnotic Poison! Last year, we could, me and my better half after an endlessly long winter (in the lockdown), finally once again to Lake Constance, it was so beautiful! We got thirsty as time went on, of course, and the waitress at the lakeside promenade was very nice and friendly. And we were always surrounded by such a beautiful scent. So fine-spicy-oriental, vanilla-scented. Not a cloud of fragrance, but just a whiff as the lady approached us.
Immediately I knew that this was Hypnotic Poison, we knew each other from before. And I knew, I must have the fragrance again. It was like a hint with the fence post, if you know that.

Looking at the fragrance notes, Hypnotic Poison has unfortunately been stripped of its power, which is what has happened to so many "strong" scents lately. On the page of Dior are only listed as a top note the bittersweet almond, in the heart note jasmine and the slightly spicy vanilla in the base. At least there is it but still to buy, one can be almost happy about it.

I myself smell as the very first only almonds, nothing else. The floral notes go unfortunately a little under, also the jasmine note is not very present with me. Coconut I smell no longer out, which I find now not so bad. Everything spicy is only subtly and discreetly perceptible. On my skin, after a little while, only the vanilla is still there, but, no boring vanilla, but with a delicate, very slightly smoky woody spice underneath. Almost like a subtle cream, only more multi-faceted and after a while just a skin scent, but a very nice one. I still enhance this effect with my roll-on from HP, which I consider a good invention.
In my environment, the red apple is no longer worn, there are grad other fragrances more popular.....but, I would not care if so.

Unmistakable and unforgotten, the beauty of yesteryear reappears and draws me back under its spell! Is not so bad, if one does not fall immediately with the door in the house.....or?!

On the website of Dior, by the way, a sentence is quoted, which I wanted to get rid of at the end, because I find it really very appropriate:
Hypnotic Poison is not worn, it wears you. Period.

A new life
Mrs Birkenfeld-Knorr is an impressive, proud woman. As an attractive woman in her mid-fifties, she still expects a lot from herself and is ready to contribute her share in order to wring a lot of life's worth out of life. She sits there today with a satisfied look on her face and her head held high, and for the first time in a long, long time, everything is finally just the way she and she alone wanted it!

Part of this is that her favorite perfume, which flickers in delicate but distinct swathes up her, still seemed to melt creamily on her skin. Intensely fine-fruity-spicy, Hypnotic Poison accompanies her with a wonderful vanilla-floral sweetness. This fragrance suits her like no other, very feminine, very erotic and mysterious, strong and flattering at the same time. Mentally jolted awake again by the distinctive, intensely sweet scent of the lily of the valley in her perfume, which flows steadily from the dark blouse, she takes her leave with a last fleeting glance.

She had already applied the perfume this morning and also gave her dear, departed husband, who has made himself comfortable lying in a long box in front of her, a neat spray of this, as he always called it, "pushy-sweet and slutty floral perfume" as a farewell gift to accompany him on his last journey. Precisely also and especially because he always hated Hypnotic Poison so much!

Mr. Knorr, her married deceased, was an impressive, handsome man in his younger years and the young Mrs. Birkenfeld fell head over heels in love with this handsome and charming person. Unfortunately, in the course of the following years of marriage, his rather plain nature gained the upper hand and left no room for anything more than allotment garden cosiness.

Meanwhile, they had long lived apart and their efforts to motivate him ran more and more into the void. When he then, because of his heart, took early retirement a year ago, things got worse and worse. A television football evening for two was the highest of the feelings to him still for common to move was.

In the last few weeks, Mr. Knorr became much worse. In addition to nausea, diarrhea, and chest pains, his cardiac arrhythmias became more and more severe; even the doctor knew no advice. The sunny spring was drawing to a close and was in full bloom, as were the many wild lilies of the valley in the forest and garden. Then, a few days ago, after a violent seizure and severe palpitations, Mr. Knorr simply stopped breathing.

Now Mrs. Birkenfeld-Knorr sits adorably by the coffin in silent grief. With a suppressed tear in her eye and a hidden smile of her lips, both from an honest heart, she looks contentedly at her arrangement for the deceased.

All around a wreath of pretty, fragrant lilies of the valley, the characteristic, sweet signature of her fragrance, with a fragrant wild rose centered on the coffin, the noble counterpart in the floral duel of notes in perfume. In front of it, a thick vase with a mighty bouquet of jasmine and tuberose stems, as well as the large branch of an almond tree, which flank the sweetly aromatic floral opulence of the perfume so spiritedly. For the in parts fruity juiciness of the beginning of the fragrance of Hypnotic Poison, a basket full of plums as well as apricots stands to the right and left of each of the unloved. The spicy underpinned by the allspice, very fine coconut note, which gives the beginning additionally the special, Mr. Knorr would not have noticed anyway and so it is content for the long and so seductive farewell in the form of a, already present for a long time vanilla note, with a balsamic incense in vanilla and sandalwood each and a fragrance candle vanilla, which shines him the last little light.

For the evening, Mrs. Birkenfeld-Knorr had a ticket reserved for the symphony concert all to herself. She has also already signed up for a dance class. It starts tomorrow, just like her new life!

Until then, thank you very much, and be careful if you smell Hypnotic Poison!
Perfect adult vanilla
Once upon a time it was the year 2007, my best 14 year old beautiful friends and I little grey mouse spent our lunch at Douglas. The girls could easily buy an expensive fragrance, I remember it exactly, Michelle bought Miss Dior and Sun ( Sun, was always her fragrance, I still think of you today at the fragrance) and I had saved so hard for this 50€.... and then I saw Dior - Hypnotic Poison, so beautiful, so expensive and for me felt forbidden, because the money I could invest much more sensible, knew that there is trouble at home ...
This much too adult poison water tasted and it was done around me. The saleswoman wanted to sell me another one, but I've always been stubborn, even as a kid.
He's been my number one ever since. I forget about him every now and then, but in the back of my mind he's always there. Always my undisputed number one.

So bitter and mysterious at the beginning. Until after a few moments, the vanilla slowly comes out and stays, until the next day. It is not sweet, not artificial, not intrusive. She is just there and so mature and beautiful.
As I've gotten older, I've realized that I was probably way too young for this scent at 14, but my love has remained the same for 14 years. It is the scent that others would probably associate with me the most, the scent that stands out extremely positively, especially to men.
Hypnotic Poison harmonizes with my skin chemistry like no other fragrance and the base is the most beautiful, perfect vanilla there is for me and there will probably never be one to come close!
I have to admit to myself that there is no vanilla that smells like the base of this poison. And I accept it because this red apple, it is And will just remain a part of me and hopefully for many, many more years. It is a constant that is sometimes less present on the outside, but I always know it is there.
For the constant 14 year old girlfriends.... well our paths eventually parted, but I remember the carefree times in our teenage frivolity so well thanks to the scents....
Sun and Hypnotic Poison, thank you for letting me get to know you both, thanks to you I'm always transported back to good times?
MariReniRena
How a perfume went from pure seduction to trash....
...this would not be the first fragrance that unfortunately happens.

It was 2010, when I smelled this fragrance for the first time consciously. I think at that time the hype around him began, just like with Alien. But I must say that I have not yet smelled him everywhere in every corner. This fragrance was one of those fragrances I thought I was the only owner of. I was very intrigued by the oriental sweetness. Back then, the scent came in a set with a little body lotion to go with it, just like it does today. I adored it! At that time, as far as I know, caraway was still listed in the fragrance notes, anise too. You could smell that out very well too. The scent was very "lush" and "heavy", which I quite liked. The bottle also looked a little different, the lid was completely black and the bottle still had no color gradient but was just red.... So, bottle emptied and poof! the hype around this perfume was there.... Almost every lady or girl had it and it was sprayed like a deodorant... disgusting.... a few time later many dupes came on the market, which did not make it even better, but rather worse.... Reformulated the fragrance too which was super disappointing for all lovers.... For me, the scent has something mature-like on some days, kind of like rubber, which some have already described here. It doesn't smell as dangerous as it did back then, but totally watered down, just like vanilla water. And I suspect it will be reformulated further and further, absolutely disappointing. Funnily enough, please don't be alarmed, I now find it best as a summer scent.... yes, what used to be an absolute winter scent is now a tepid summer scent.... I still wouldn't spray it over.

The durability is still there, but not as extreme as then. The next day I can no longer smell him. I could compare the scents, version 2010 and version 2016. The old version is unfortunately empty, but what I can perceive on the sprayer is really more powerful than the new version. Seeeeevery pity.

I love the fragrance anyway, but hardly use it, because really everyone recognizes it and is almost annoyed...
Magic
Hypnotic Poison is the scent that surprised me the most out of all of them.

Actually, I had no desire to test it at all. This was probably a straight prejudice - I had but over twenty years ago once a bottle of # Tendre Poison given, whose scent I found (sorry!) Just horrible. I wore it a few times anyway, because I didn't want to disappoint the person. Anyway, I have immediately avoided ALL Poisons like the devil the holy water, because I feared, the smell all like that.

Because I'm but a packaging victim (is not this bright red candy apple just adorable?) and me recently by chance a mini bottle ran across the way, I have just also sniffed times dran Where he was already there, not true.

Oh ... hmm ... soo bad is not the now ... whether I times on the skin ... well, okay, in an emergency I scrub off again quickly.
What can I say - it was done around me, from the first second. Within days, a riichtiger bottle moved in with me.

My sensations to the fragrance ...sweet, warm, floral creamy and with a very own, delicate spice (unfortunately not very long), behind which I suspect the allspice.
Fine hints of apricot, plum and noble flowers, embedded in an embrace of coconut, almond and vanilla. So beautiful, so opulent and beguiling, and yet elegant and extravagant and so harmonious in its composition, that I am quite overwhelmed.
The name says it all. Hypnotizing poison. You want to wear it always, snuggle into it, let yourself be seduced and enchanted by this sweet poison. For me, a whole new great love, which will certainly accompany me for a long time.

My conclusion - prejudice is stupid per se. But despite the fact that I am not free of them, I try (since then even more) to face things with an open mind and without bias.
My second skin
Amazing how long some perfumes have been around and you kept sniffing it the years....and BOOM, suddenly you fall in love with this scent.
Exactly so it goes me currently with Hypnotic Poison.

Even the bottle alone is an eye-catcher I think, I love how it feels in the hand.

The scent is a lovely cloud of soothing vanilla, softness, confidence, warmth, love and lots of eroticism. It smells incredibly delicious, I want to drink a warm vanilla milk every time I have it on top. This scent is so cohesive in the whole combination. It is a feminine scent, delicate, loving and somehow also mysterious, mystical and seductive. The coconut note is also very delicious and creamy. It is a soft scent through and through. This scent envelops me and whispers that all is well, I may let go and relax, just be me.

Pretty dressed (black stockings, dress...) this fragrance works in everything even a touch more attractive I think ;) But also only imaginable with a negligee ;)) If I had to define a highly erotic fragrance for women, it would be hypnotic Poison. It goes through for me as my second skin , as I currently wear it constantly and several times during the day, I have become addicted - I would be successfully hypnotized.

I think it is a very sensual and erotic fragrance which is worth gold especially in the cold season
Poetry in a bottle
Starting with the bottle, Hypnotic Poison is already a small work of art in itself. The deep red color and look and feel of the bottle skillfully imitate a freshly candied, juicy Gala apple.
The design of all the bottles of the Poison series of Dior since the 80s is a clear interpretation of the apple in the Fall of the Old Testament. The marketing idea for an irresistible perfume that is supposed to be worth sinning for, in combination with the visualization of the forbidden fruit, seems trite and rather obvious at first, but is very successful in its implementation with all its refined details. In my collection, this bottle is one of the most visually appealing. As a "packaging victim" I just can not resist beautiful things.

I was blown away by this scent: It's sweet, passionate, so-so classy, and doesn't bring a youthful, short-lived non-commitment like I'm used to from the girly Juicy Couture scents, but suggests the seriousness of a confident, passionate, grown woman who knows what she wants - What in the world is more appealing than that, please? Exactly that spirit goes straight to the person wearing the fragrance. (I can literally feel the fragrance awakening the little poet in me as I write this.)
Almond and vanilla are the main characters in this one. This dramatic duo smells so delicious that it makes me want something sweet right away, because it reminds me a lot of a big, creamy vanilla ice cream sundae with California almonds and shredded coconut.
The shelf life is bomb. I've never worn an eau de toilette as strong as this one, which is still present in the morning after an eight-hour beauty sleep. Speaking of boudoir, Hypnotic Poison is the perfect choice for very personal moments. The seduction is clearly successful, because the fragrance simply enchants - whether man or woman - with its unique irresistibility.
I do not mind in the least that this is a mainstream fragrance. Designer fragrances usually have it in themselves that they are bought and loved by the masses. In addition, I do not make my individuality on a fragrance.
For more than 20 years and hyped by many people as the holy grail for dating and intimate hours, this fragrance definitely has its raison d'être.
The popular classic Hypnotic Poison hits the most powerful myth of mankind with a perfectly balanced arrow right in the heart.
RedVanilla
My grandma's apricot pie!
Warm, delicious, sweet and here in a bottle. Thus figure and diabetic friendly. More dessert than perfume is almost not possible. Ripe apricots in a jam jar. And because it's so nice and cozy, the almond and vanilla wants to come with it too. Nothing is used discreetly here. This fragrance is meant to draw attention to the wearer. Now, of course, as always, you could ask the question: Do I really want to smell like an apricot cake? And for me, there's a very clear answer there. Yes, why not. There are worse things after you could smell.

One must know at this point Hypnotic Poison has this name not without reason. One lets both the nearer and further environment participate in this fragrance. A silage, which gives the term space-grabbing more meaning than many other fragrances. But sometimes it has to be a little more to achieve the feel-good factor. Then the environment must also go through. Carpe Diem I say only.

Conclusion: A classic, which has now survived many decades and always represents the perfect choice in cold temperatures. Applied in the morning and still present in the evening. And who has him and wears may then like to smell, like the apricot cake of my grandmother.
An old acquaintance
At that time with 18 years I found the fragrance beautiful, with its great vanilla nuances The oriental, beguiling and sensual character has fascinated me at that time The fragrance story has of course also contributed their rest to it ;
Meanwhile, it was 10 years ago..... and I have the fragrance long ago banned from my fragrance assortment.
The fragrance has unfortunately lost its luster and is now one of the NoGo'S for me
Hypnotic Poison - The Red Apple
Hypnotic Poison was once quite wonderful, now it's still quite good.
Ten years ago it was really an enticing fragrance, sweet-woody-oriental.
Sweet it still is, but it's kind of weary, weaker. The vanilla is still pleasant, but less woody, but the almond note seems to have become stronger, it is now more reminiscent, but only remotely, of marzipan. The apricot note I perceive, the plum note not.
The hint of coconut gives the fragrance a special charm, often I don't like coconut notes at all, but here just this one gives a twist.
The sandalwood can be detected in the base, but it is not very strong.
I notice the jasmine most strongly in the floral heart.
I wouldn't have been able to detect the rose note, as Hypnotic Poison is a very sweet scent that is very tightly knit. It's actually not very provocative at all. However, you can tell that the white florals have not been used sparingly overall. A tuberose note is also included. This holds itself here, however, in the background and is because of the whole, this fragrance's own sweetness, only schwieg as such to recognize.
The name suggests a wilder caliber, but basically Hypnotic Poison, especially the newer version, is a gentle and somehow charming fragrance. For a while, you could often smell it on other people, too, but it doesn't seem to enjoy quite as much popularity anymore, which may please some, but not others.
I am always happy when someone has found a fragrance that brings joy. The bottle rather indicates a loud fragrance. He may have been once, but overall he is quite tame

ElysiumElysium 7 days ago
Rarely a scent disturbs me, cloys me, inflicts me a headache. This does it, miserably. Likewise, Dune pour Homme Eau de Toilette.
T3lk4T3lk4 3 months ago
Hypnotic is the right word for this one, it's sweet and attractive makes you want to constantly smell it.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
A little bit sweeter and rounder than the edp version, it's a sensual scent where the spicy-floral notes marry a wonderfiul almond.A must
Alex1984Alex1984 4 years ago
Diable Rouge edp, 1998; maxed out futurama! The most potent and beautiful almond, vanilla, musk and heliotrope. Poisonous comfort elixir!

by Sweetsmell75
by Unchaned
by Unchaned
by Miapea
by Miapea
Winterzeit, Advent, Weihnachten und das bei frostigen/eisigen/.... Temperaturen.
by Baeumchen
by Echtdufte
by Vanna
by Vanna

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Parfum) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior