J'adore (1999) Eau de Parfum

J'adore (Eau de Parfum) by Dior / Christian Dior
J'adore (Eau de Parfum) (Dior / Christian Dior)

J'adore (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for women and was released in 1999. The scent is floral-sweet. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Calice Becker

Top Notes Top NotesYlang-ylang
Heart Notes Heart NotesDamask rose
Base Notes Base NotesJasmine sambac, Sandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.01.2019

Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
A nice scent for summer
I thought it would be another clean-smelling scent that doesn't stand out from others on the streets, but in fact I haven't got bored of the scent after wearing it for two months! It is a sweet, white-floral scent, but it is not coyly sweet. Maybe the chemistry really works well with the weather of the city I currently live in--hot and humid--and this lively, scent freshens up the damp, heavy air around me every time I wear it.
Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 6.5/10
At war with the Sun...
Certainly not a scent you would likely smell on a woman frequenting black light-illuminated underground clubs, where wearing sable, purple and burgundy attires bedecked with steel and pewter accessories is a sine qua non prerequisite for entering them. Any woman wearing it in such a place would be most likely treated like a priestess upon stumbling on a undeads' lair, who by the same token were heretics while still alive, with J'adore acting like the holy water in which she bathed before making their acquaintance.

But since I like women who think of the sun as an archenemy which would turn them to dust, if they ever acted foolishly enough to be exposed to its radiant caress, I'll sadly have to pass.

J'adore is jubilant, classy and carefree, mais je n'adore pas. There's nothing wrong with these adjectives, but when it comes to perfumes I dig "dramatic" a lot more. In other words, and given that Charlize Theron was the face of J'adore's campaign at some point, let's say I prefer her tenebrous, heartbreaking solemnity while being "In the Valley of Elah" over her classy and sassy antics while doing "The Italian job". You see, I believe that women of her caliber are always way more alluring when smelling of sulphur and dust instead of smelling like fruits and white flowers. Or to put it in another way, the sun is always there; however it's what it shines upon that really matters. And for me Charlize Theron is very, very desirable under its scorching presence during her rebellious stance and haggard looks in "Mad Max:Fury Road". But that's just me and my febrile gothic delusions again.

Since J'adore carries a tremendous amount of resplendence, it's bottle could be no different than a drop of incandescent amber escaping the sun, with every aspect of sun's essence and symbolisms being more than abundant in even the tiniest droplet of J'adore's soul. In a parallel universe ruled by non-Newtonian physics and Riemannian geometry, when this drop would reach the Earth, it would unleash a nuclear bomb's olfactory equivalent of gaiety and elegance, shaking the very foundations of lonesomeness and melancholia. But for some of us this would mean nothing more than a time to run for shelter in a delapidated bunker reeking with Fahrenheit and Poison.

You can shoot me down in flames now for not liking one of the most adored embodiments of joyousness and panache in perfumery, but I'm ready to take all the flak. What chances would I stand anyway being flanked by its swarm of flankers? But as I always say, castigating a perfume is one thing and reprimanding the ones liking it is another. I don't like J'adore, but this doesn't grant me by any means the right to insult the ones adoring it. All the more that I am usually the one who gets bashed for preferring '80s powerhouses and vintage formulations over modern flimsy launches and "contemporary interpretations" of classics. Maybe it's time for some haters to stop playing hooky from the Latin class and finally acknowledge that "de gustibus non disputandum est" is a very wise maxim.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
J'Adore
J'Adore is a beautiful floral scent with the most beautiful Jasmine ever ......
I have the necessary fragrances but have decided to J'adore to my signature fragrance. This smell should fit you but if this is the case you can smell really heavenly. My husband often asks me to this scent to set up. He finds this smell feminine, sexy, romantic but also chic.
Pillar!
J’adore is one of those modern classics we may take for granted: it’s solid, always pleasant in pretty much any circumstance, stylish yet undemanding and carefree. A soapy-fruity blend with a fresh, invigorating opening of bergamot notes and peach, then white flowers, vanilla, a silky and clean jasmine “deprived” of its earthy-indolicness, with a beautiful crystalline rose note on a mellow base of sweet sandalwood and discreet cedar. All perfectly “rounded” and made a bit more “adult” by aldehydes and darker floral notes (tuberose). A fruity-powdery scent, if you want: a bit conventional and not a “wow”, probably, but with a really pleasant and cozy fresh, golden, white-plushy sense of liveliness, this making it quite appealing also for younger audiences. Yet it is also rich, slightly shady if you pay attention, with a thin feel of something more adult and sensual floating all over. Classy and cheerful. Not memorable, probably, and not the most distinctive scent around, but not all scents have to be like that; J’adore is a timeless, perfect, carefree and “safe” scent which can make pretty much any woman (or man) smell elegant, discreetly confident, “generically” sophisticated with a hint of “urban-young” allure in pretty much any situation. One of the several mainstream scents far superior to niche floral ones which rip them off at twice the price. Recommended!

7,5-8/10
Scent 3.5/10
Melting Plastic
I wore this on my left hand most of the day, Dior Poison on my right. These two smell so different from the Dior private collection, they don't seem to belong in the same company. What could go wrong with such simple, lovely notes? J'adore has a stuffily synthetic undertone that vaguely reminds me of melting plastic, like many of the Bond No 9's do. Too bad. I like ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine and sandalwood. Wish they hadn't mixed them in a plastic vial that they held over a bunsen burner.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 1.0/10
Tuberose and An Unpleasantness
J'adore and I were not happy campers in the same tent. A strong tuberose opening gave way to many, many florals invading my space to a (cough, cough) urine odor that at that point intermingled with buttered popcorn. I have not figured out what it is yet, but there are some perfumes that if tuberose is an ingredient, I will smell buttered popcorn. It has that effect with my skin's chemistry, and it's actually quite nice (the buttered popcorn effect). It turns to a delightful melted butter over fresh popcorn, the kind you'd get at movie houses, or the kind you make at home, either way, it's fresh and aromatic. I've heard that J'adore is complicated and changes on a person. It did for me. Over several hours time it evolves from a mind-blowing tuberose down to an unpleasant urine odor that I cannot stomach and just will not go away. J'adore and I parted ways.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 4.0/10
Ice Queen
J'adore has all the hallmarks of a classy scent. The name, the House and the well crafted list of yummy ingredients.

A well groomed jasmine in polite conversation with a posh tuberose. Magnolia in the background politely whispering. A heavy sun-ripe pear surrounded with assorted other delicious fruits....and all the way in the dry down a cool freesia draped in perfect pose on a chaise longue of musk.

Yet on my skin she is a cold clinical beauty. An Ice Queen that refuses to warm up and mingle with my chemistry. Oh, she is pretty, but it's a pretty that is calculating and impersonal. On me the note evolvement happens all at once and leaves me the whole day with the same cold top notes.
A scent that feels frozen on my skin and although she is pretty I can't help feeling rather bored with it. We simply don't mix. I don't know what it is that keeps J'adore so distant on my chemistry since I adore (J'adore!) white flowers and fruit notes in a yummy construction of notes. But this Dior creation just won't be friendly to me.
Alas, despite all the adoration I was willing to offer this potion in its classy bottle, it was in vain. We parted ways and I doubt she even remembers who I am....

Silage is: Cool white florals - Longevity is: 7+ hours of Ice Queen cool (on me).
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 2.0/10
Je ne l'adore pas du tout.
I do truly adore the bottle, with its sleek, fondle-worthy shape and pyramidal gold slinky neck topped with a mini crystal ball. However, Dior J'ADORE eau de parfum is very difficult for me to wear. It appears to contain the same note found in Estee Lauder BEAUTIFUL and Fragonard BELLE DE NUIT which, if too liberally applied, have the power to make me feel both queasy and anxiety stricken, as though the apocalypse may be imminent.

Using Mill's methods, I have deduced from the listed notes of these three fragrances (from various different sources) that the culprit may be synthetic violet. But another possibility is that the synthetic note is unnamed and used as a fixative or solvent in all three. In any case, my 50ml bottle will stay nearly full, as I simply cannot don this juice without undue strife! Honestly, it has the power to ruin my day. Even seeing the ubiquitous Charlize Theron ads makes me feel somewhat uneasy... I look at the ads and see not a siren but the character she played in MONSTER.

I'm sure that for those who can tolerate the vexing mystery note this composition is wearable and perhaps even likeable. Quant à moi: Je n'adore pas du tout J'ADORE. Désolée!
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 6.0/10
Golden fruity floral
I must say I was rather surprised by this fragrance. By just looking at the bottle, the advertisements and the overall love that people have for this, I was expecting your typical floral that smells comforting, yet so much like grandma.

I was quite astounded by its fruity notes when I first sprayed J'adore. It wasn't a horrid blast of citrus or overly sweetened fruits, it was more subdued and sophisticated. If I had to pick a fragrance that was similar in composition, elegance and style, I would say Miss Dior Cherie.

The scent itself is indeed very strong, but for me that is a quality that I enjoy in my perfumes. It definitely, in my opinion, has the potential to be a very seductive and sexy fragrance, as I have heard that many men prefer fruity scents on their women.

I believe that this scent would be signature worthy because it is not something that I can imagine someone tiring of quickly. Although best suited to special occasions and night-time outings, I can imagine this being worn as a casual fragrance too. I believe that its versatility relies on how much you apply to your skin. Remember that less is more when you use J'adore.

• 5 ml by Eloisa23