Joy by Dior / Christian Dior

Joy is a new perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for women and was released in 2018. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Mandarin, Bergamot, Grasse rose, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Cedar, Patchouli, White musk

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 21.01.2019

The face of the advertising campaign is actress Jennifer Lawrence.

Bottle 4.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Ephemeral joy
I must write with regret and a little disappointment these lines, but this is my impression about the new Dior's creation: an ephemeral joy.
Let's start looking at the bottle: very minimal, characterized by cold colors, refined, but too minimal , almost zen. i usually associate the joy with something richer and warm, Golden and sparkling , but maybe I'm too baroque and old fashioned!
anyway, the first impression when I sprayed this new scent on the mouillette and on my skin was such as smelling a glass of lightly aromatized plain water. Maybe the joy is in the calm and the zen serenity?
I perceived first of all a pale memory of a rose, accompained by a very light Jasmine, not at all intoxicating or warm. I didn't smell the oepning fizzy citrusy notes I see now in the pyramid. Maybe it's my nose...
There's no base in this scent...it remained for about a hour on my skin and I didn't smell the patchouli. only a little touch of a clean and quite pleasant White musk.
Is this a scent who can cost more than 100euros? No, it isn't. i'm sorry but for my tastes this time the glorious maison Dior failed proposing a so minimal fragrance, or maybe the error is in the name. So, let's call "Calm" or "serenity" this very clean and light office scent anyway pleasant in the hottest days!

Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 4.0/10 Longevity 4.0/10 Scent 6.5/10
Chimera
The start is very fresh and unsweet, I even thought I noticed an impact in the green. This greenish freshness is certainly bergamot, it dominates the tangerine, I think. There is also no typical purely citric top note, the heart notes already play along. White musk dilutes the fragrance. His aura reminds me of "Pleasures" by Estée Lauder, also with this one I always had such a feeling to be doped by fresh flowers, free and carefree.
For this purpose - as a motivator - I can however rather recommend the Pleasures to you, because this one weakens quite fast. After 15 minutes at the latest he becomes very close. Well, you almost don't smell anything anymore, to be exact.
But the craziest thing is yet to come: a completely different perfume appears faster on the skin and slower on paper with the base notes. A slightly sweet powder scent with a little patchouli. Reminds me very much of Miss Dior EdP, only much weaker and less sweet. So, if you like something like that, I would recommend Miss Dior EdP here too. I usually like perfumes that change, but here I wonder a little about the meaning.
However, there may be lovers who like exactly this chimerical kind of thing, a ghostly hybrid being who does not interfere.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
A Harmless Medley of Popular Hits... yet with a Cynical Title
Wearing Dior Joy feels like listening to a medley of popular hits. But when you check the accompanying notes, it insists that it's a brand new song, yet its name is confusingly that of another entirely different classic hit.

The overall structure of sweet mandarine opening, abstract jasmine heart and subtle woody backbone indeed strongly reminds me of Chanel Allure EDT, although Dior Joy feels brighter and more girly thanks to a slightly more pronounced fruity sweetness. As time progresses, a clean, lean, and faintly powdery patchouli arises. Combined with the mandarine and rose-jasmine sweetness, it's not too hard a leap to connect with new Miss Dior EDP and to a certain extent, Chanel Coco Mademoiselle.

The dry down sees clean white musk wrapping everything up and pushing Dior Joy to flirt dangerously with pleasing yet ubiquitous fruity shampoo, only able to occasionally hold back thanks to a hidden string of synthetic sandalwood. The overall sillage is moderate, while the longevity is around 10 hours on me.

Although they don't share specific similarities like the aforementioned fragrances, I find strong parallels between Dior Joy and last year's Chanel Gabrielle: both boast being a first brand new fragrance in years of a highly visible mainstream house, yet both smell like a meek product excessively tailored to the consumer panel with little personality left. Both are pleasant from the outset, yet hardly memorable afterwards, so much so that the fragrances seem almost like an afterthought compared to the dazzling promotion campaigns.

However, with Dior Joy, I can't help but find its name and its release so close to the Jean Patou acquisition imply a more cynical undertone. Could LVMH acquire Jean Patou only to exploit the name "Joy"? Of course, one can excuse that Joy was one of Jennifer Lawrence's recent characters' name, but there are surely other ways to market a new fragrance if one is mindful of perfumery history. However, with Dior's recent habit of meddling, notably the confusing mess of Miss Dior L'Original, Miss Dior Chérie, new Miss Dior and new new Miss Dior, and claiming Marylin Monroe who's recorded being an ardent fan of Chanel No.5, in one of Dior J'Adore's commercial, maybe it's only natural for Dior's marketing to take it to another level.

Anyway, questionable marketing aside, Dior Joy is an agreeable, modern clean fruity floral quite easy to enjoy. But with its inability to distinguish itself from other similar mainstream fragrances, I struggle to find any substantial reasons to recommend it over its plentiful competitors.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Joy doesn't go swimming
When I watched the TV commercial, I thought: Hopefully the scent doesn't go swimming - because there's a lot of water in the story.
Nevertheless, the video is well done - especially the floating underwater shots appeal to me.

And even the scent says yes to me right away.
Aquatically fruity tangerine and bergamot flow over my skin, hovered over by sweet rose, and irradiated by bright fresh jasmine.
Sandal adds creamy ingredients and Patch adds depth and shelf life.
The cedar adds a touch of casual elegance.

A harmonious creation that really brings joy, and which has a sympathetic effect thanks to its uncomplicated attitude.
Joy knows no airs and graces me for hours.

So no reason for the model in the spot to "go into the water"
Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
The Joy of cultivated boredom
Chanel launched Gabrielle, Hermès Twilly and now Dior follows with Joy. Predominantly well-known young actors present the scents. A target group oriented action in today's time. The market is crying out for fresh, unspent faces and, above all, for their well-heeled followers. Personenkult knows no borders, brand cult also not. The money is spent with full hands, even if none is available. Sharpened elbows. Psychopaths. Heart collapse. Department stores. Social media. Installment purchase and credit. Planned obsolescence. Advertising programme. Burst silicone cushions. Ecotax. Microplasty. To have and to be. Eat or die and feel pleasure!

Joy? For Dior's latest creation, it smells quite flowery. The opening is pleasantly citric and fresh with bergamot and mandarin, whereby the bergamot takes over the main part here. Quite fast the whole matter mutes itself a little and a clean rose appears. Jasmine and musk add a dash of fluffy creaminess. All in all, the fragrance does not develop excessive sweetness, but it remains rather bland and somewhat boring. Patchouli, sandalwood and cedar show their presence with extreme restraint. The shelf life is, like the Sillage, quite manageable.
On the whole, Dior was unable to make a quantum leap with this launch, which was apparently undesirable. Olfactory surprises and experiments usually don't get a large circle of buyers, and so Joy remains only a cultivated appearance without the impulse to arouse exuberant joy.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Dior walks in the footsteps of Chanel
Of course I had to test this fragrance, too, because I thought Dior would finally be able to dare something new again.
We were disappointed by the name alone, not only by the classic "Joy" by Jean Patou, but also by the fact that the "J'adore in Joy" by Dior already exists. Nevertheless, there was still such a spark of hope that the scent might tear it out after all.
In my favourite perfumery, where I hadn't been in for a while (I'm pretty happy right now), a Joy sample was waiting for me. You can spray yourself generously with it, after only one sprayer the scent was in 10 minutes no longer to be guessed.
After another 5 minutes Joy smelled like Allure, EdT, from Chanel, only perhaps with a more modern top note. Joy also didn't show me the facets of the initially fresh and spicy Allure, which then becomes soft and creamy, although such were predicted.
So Dior brings out a fragrance that actually already exists. By the way, I made the direct comparison on my skin, can not only write this from the memory of Allure.
That's why I won't buy Joy, because he doesn't offer enough for the price, durability and sillage can't keep up with Chanel. Allure is the better choice for me, also the cheaper one!

Still, I don't want to claim that Joy is a bad scent.
It is suitable for everyday use, citric-floral-creamy, fine and delicate, not too sweet. A soft musk base keeps very quiet, but still on the skin for some time! A very pleasant perfume of the day. I guess you can't go wrong with that scent. But I dare doubt whether the price/performance ratio is right.

Which target group Dior wants to address this time is not quite clear to me.
Or is it?! Just as with "Gabrielle" by Chanel this groaning was, however, this smell had nevertheless no similarity with an already brought out smell. So, so to speak, to bring out a classic in a modern and nice little dress that everyone wants to wear?

To the very sweet fraction, this fragrance is certainly too "unsweet"! They stay with La Vie est Belle, Black Opium or Mon Guerlain, etc., who also have a clearer presence.

Those who are looking for a nice everyday scent may find it cheaper. Jennifer Lawrence is surely an expensive advertising partner, the customer must then also "pay"!

And those who want to attract attention will certainly not have any joy with this Joy.
That's why I can't imagine Joy becoming a "hit" from Dior! Still, he'll have his fans....!

I would have liked a fragrance from Dior that had more expressiveness and character. And just to bring something really new to the market, nothing that has ever been there before! But, I think there won't be anything coming so soon!

Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Light and Flowers
I don't know what everybody's got. Yaaaaa Dior didn't reinvent the wheel and now? Not that many do. It is a fragrance that lies on the skin like a veil without irritating or piercing the nose. It's a scent for every day and every time, is that bad??? No, I don't think so. Think people just expect too much. I like him, he is transparent, airy light and the base lasts very long
Crowdpleaser of the 21st century
Typical Fruitchouli fragrance of the 2010s. Floral-citric start, in the drydown the fragrance becomes a little warmer, reminiscent at times of Allure by Chanel, but lighter, less expressive. That's exactly what the fragrance lacks: Originality and expressiveness. Everything's been there before: The name Joy (even at Dior in J'adore in Joy), the scent structure, the bottle... It's a pity that traditional houses like Dior don't dare to bring out real signature scents anymore. Fragrances that polarize and have just been composed against the Maintream. How about a multi-layered bitter-spicy perfume in the style of the late 80s or a purely flowery composition (without the omnipresent sugary sweetness)? These are a few suggestions for Dior's marketing department. Maybe someone will read it...;-)
Summer joy
Very surprised I looked at this fragrance, because I didn't hear any advertisement or other rumour, there is a new Dior coming. Rosy, solid glass, noble lid - as Naimie54 already noticed, Eau Sauvage type, just for women. With one important difference: this is Suave, not Sauvage ( Wild ) this is sweetish, citric, sparkling and floral creamy. Very good to wear in summer, perhaps even better in spring. I have the impression that it smells like neroli, cyclamen and white musk flowers. A nice combination of refreshment, velvety white blood and intense musk. A certain resemblance to Diorella in the top notes (these are the citrus notes with woodsy flair), a bit of diorissimo (cyclamen, no lilies of the valley but... something small, woody) and then the surprise - creamy musky base that lasts the longest, office-friendly recommendation for every day, and with a potential to become the popular summer scent (as Escale Edition has left me cold), I think it's well done.

Carlitos01 17 days ago
Boring! Neither good nor bad! Just boring!+2
Bottle 7.0
Sillage 7.0
Longevity 7.0
Scent 6.5
IanFriedrich 109 days ago
This is not Joy. This is a "Tragic" for Dior to release a not impressive fragrance in an identical La Collection Privée bottle.+5
Bottle 6.0
Sillage 6.0
Longevity 6.0
Scent 5.0
Lexa 144 days ago
Might not be the best fragrance ever,but for a designer release,and we all know what a great job they do lately,is not that bad! I like it!+2
Bottle 9.0
Sillage 7.0
Longevity 7.0
Scent 8.0
Jazzy76 146 days ago
Not at all like its famous namesake ! A déjà vu and banal floral scent with a weak sillage in minimal bottle at a high price. Disappointed+3
Bottle 4.0
Sillage 5.0
Longevity 6.0
Scent 7.0
Reniferka 147 days ago
Typical light floral scent, but this combination of white musk, artificial sandalwood & jasmine smells cheap on my skin. Joy of boredom ;-)+5
Bottle 7.0
Sillage 4.0
Longevity 5.0
Scent 5.0
Alex1984 154 days ago
Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the joke of the year. Unfortunately, the joke is on us and on Jean Patou, the creator of JOY. The one.+6
Bottle 1.0