Ambre Nuit by Dior / Christian Dior

Ambre Nuit is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesPink pepper, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Gaiac wood, Patchouli, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 10.11.2019

8.0 6.0 8.0 10.0/10

DerDefcon
So quiet, so close, so beautiful
Do you know that? The days are getting shorter, they're getting rainer. The days become cooler, they become more uncomfortable. The days are now short, they are rainy, perhaps also uncomfortable, but not yet cold in winter. The winter cuddly ones who eat themselves into the skin and like to communicate themselves to their surroundings are already roaring to decorate your skin with their often sweet, spicy, often gourmand appearance. But you, who have to dare to go public with them, are the ones who have to explain to your relatives, best friends, acquaintances or colleagues at work why you have to wear such "heavy fragrances" in such mild temperatures, because it happens occasionally that you spray a little too much without wanting to. If an already sufficient spraying impact lands at the base of the neck, this contradicts - for me at least - the usual spraying routine, which is usually characterized by two sprays. Well, it happened. In the still mild autumn season, when you wanted to make yourself and perhaps your surroundings happy with a sweet cuddle, the spraying mechanism was activated too much once and the whole performance is over - a dilemma, isn't it? We want to dare a little more sweetness, a little more spice, a little more "Oriental Studies". Summer is over, so is the time of the newcomers. Well, these can also be sweet, spicy or oriental, but you certainly know what is meant.

I'll say: I want a fragrance that is cuddly, spicy and sweet, but not room-filling or offensive. That's what I want! And yes, there's something I'd like you to meet. But first I have to thank the nice Parfumo Djmatie, who made this introduction possible for me. Therefore a big thank you for your fast fragrance mail, which brought me into the world of exclusive Dior fragrances.

"Ambre Nuit" by Christian Dior: an olfactory revelation - I can and would like to anticipate so much. If you are looking for a cuddler who can decorate your own skin even on milder days without filling whole rooms, without bothering others, you will find what you are looking for here.
The opening captivates with a pleasantly warm combination of an unusually soft bergamot and pepper. This pepper does not prick in the nose, does not function as a snuff substitute, but appears well dosed.
We let a little time pass, let the classic pass - it is one, isn't it? - mature and develop, so that shortly thereafter the component responsible for the naming of this little scent expands the composition. This refers to the wonderful amber note, which is a little sweet, wonderfully powdery, but not a bit animal or scratchy. The pepper continues to support the whole thing with an appropriate seasoning. At the same time the woody notes begin to play. Cedar can be recognized immediately without much effort, because this aromatic sweetness is simply and touchingly unmistakable. But I do not only hear this kind of wood, but also the somewhat darker, a little earthy smelling guaiac wood, which is able to lend the necessary depth to this noble warm combination of different olfactory beauties. The rose listed in the fragrance pyramid is also audible, but only very subtle, finely woven by those woods, powdery amber and fine pepper. In order to smell it, the nose must be brought as close as possible to the skin, as if a curtain were being lifted to see the unknown behind it or - as in this case - to smell it. When I air it, I find not only the rose, but also the patchouli, which has a rather reserved character. And as with the concentrated aroma of the rose, I hear its subtle aroma, which reminds me a little of "woody resinity", and so it fits perfectly into the conglomerate of olfactory nature.

I am overwhelmed, simply overwhelmed, enthusiastic, a bit in love maybe. This noble-powdery, sweet-spicy cuddler is something special, who with all his beauty does not want to show himself to everyone. He's not yelling "Here I am!" out into the wide world. As soon as he moistens the skin, he clings to it long enough, for a whole evening - the time of day that is just right for him. It holds on and with it all the finely dosed aromas, which together result in a perfect balance. Nothing covers up, suppresses or breaks, but everything works together. A warming aura spreads, which can only enchant the nose of those I want to know close - very close - around me. For everyone else, it remains hidden. "Ambre Nuit" would like it that way and now and then I would.
10.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Seduction in 125 or 250ml
Since the comments to this fragrance are very sparse here, I dare to tell you my own little story about this miracle here.
Totalpled, smelled - wow. This was the first fragrance in my collection (if only a sample) to rise out of my perfume segment and look down on the "traditional" designer mass fragrances.
Since I never intended to buy Dior Ambre Nuit at this time, simply because the price is mildly expressed, somewhat elevated, my 10ml stayed very long in the back of my collection and I didn't even wear it, but sprayed a few droplets on my hand every now and then to have some of this miracle at home for hours on end
2 weeks ago there was a "stupid" coincidence - stupid not for my nose but for my purse, because I bought myself on ebay a still 2/3 filled 250ml bottle at a very good price. Much more than I'll ever need from this perfume but now I finally don't have to use it so sparingly anymore.
I wouldn't have bought this new one, because Dior "wisely" fills its bottles from the Privè line so big that the next 2 generations will get something out of it.
I read once that there are also 40ml bottles of them, but they should be very hard to get, because they are only available in France(?).

Seconds after spraying, a pleasant, fresh warmth comes over me. This may sound like a contradiction in terms, but the spicy, slightly peppery & aromatic fragrance lends the fragrance a very special "warmth" - one that comes closer & tempts you to cuddle. Despite this, Ambre Nuit has a lightness and is by no means a heavy fragrance for the winter). The "warmth" is rather symbolic in the head, just as I have it with La Nuit de l'homme when I smell it. Simply spicy, aromatic, romantic, very sensual and yet masculine. At Ambre Nuit I get a touch of a Coca Cola, but this is in no way negative or inferior, but meant in a very luxurious way.

For me it is one of my favourite perfumes and simply very successful. The perfect perfume to elegantly dine or dance in the evening, for dates, sophisticated occasions or sensual moments for two.
Certainly to wear during the day but I personally wear it only in the evening and only when I am in female company - for everything else it is too sensual & romantic for me
I get from Ambre Nuit a very good shelf life and Sillage. You don't need much, because the scent tempts you to come closer all by itself. Another plus point, which now has more to do with the price than with the perfume itself - you smell very unique and you don't smell like everybody else. I don't know any other perfume that even comes close to this fragrance DNA.
But yes, this can be paid Dior very well - although I must say that it is worth the price to me, not even perfume enthusiasts recognize the high quality in it.

Dior Ambre Nuit - a fragrance you can put in my coffin.
9.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Schoork
First of all I would like to express my astonishment that this fragrance is so rarely commented on here. If we omit the statements, this 10 year old fragrance has only received 18 comments. In 2016 and 2107 each a whole 2 and 2018 not even a single one. Thereby 221 people here give to own this one and at least it was rated 391 times together with me. And with 8.5 it's quite decent. Why is that so?

It can't be because of the price, because despite a price range of 198€ to 312€ for 125ml many people could get a picture of him. To my 150th comment today I thought to myself, I take an expensive fragrance, because even if I find some from the mainstream great, it is also exciting to test such special fragrances. Then also still another smell for me like hardly a second Unisex is.

Maybe he doesn't say much to most people? I honestly don't know. An advantage for me though, I didn't have to read as much as with other fragrances. Not only do I enjoy writing, but I also enjoy reading what others think about the fragrances that interest me.
Now I read that one of them thinks he is too feminine, the other one too masculine. Well the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I quote:
"Ambre Nuit is the encounter of two extremes. In a way, the transformation of "Beauty and the Beast" into a fragrance. This perfume combines the animal, dark side of amber with the delicate velvety of Turkish rose. An amber and night-black scent wave. As in the dialogue between gentleness and strength, in which opposites come together to form an intense duo." François Demachy, perfume designer for Dior
You can leave it like that. The fragrance actually combines something very beautiful, which I absolutely want to smell on my wife with something which I would describe as very masculine and which suits me well. Yeah, I think I'm masculine, now it's out.
After a short citric start, which one hardly notices, the rose takes over immediately, paired with the spice of the pepper, but also here the amber swings along. Pepper is lightly dosed. The rose then stays in the background when the fragrance becomes darker, softer and fuller via the heart to the base. Here Ambra meets Patchouli and that really powerful. Not violently, but it remains supple. Very light sweetness resonates, with some spice and an earthy and floral background. The Sillage is moderate. You perceive yourself very well. It will end up warm and balsamic.

Do I have to worry about the whales? Is it real ambergris? Only Greenpeace and Dior might know the answer, but I'm only evaluating the fragrance and not the style. But I think it's not a real one, the market is too big for that today.
There are also no sharks in Hailbronn, or Haidelberg, they mostly swim on Haiti, but I digress.

But if I'm wrong, then there will be someone who will correct me.

The fragrance lasts well 8h, that's ok, for the price it could have been a bit longer, but I think that's enough. Personally I don't always have to smell 12h after the same fragrance, I like to change in the evening.

As already mentioned, the fragrance has something for both sexes and the term unisex has rarely fitted so well. Personally, I usually find him more feminine. Some people like the horn anyway, and that's good. I don't have women's fragrances in my collection and I don't think I'm the type for La Vie Est Belle, but there are many who think Dior Homme Intense, Noir Extreme by Tom Ford or Grand Soir by MFK are feminine. Nope!
Recently I read somewhere here at a unisex scent that you can't wear as a man. Depends on the type of man, doesn't it? Everything can be worn!

I think it's more a question of age and attitude. When I was younger, Joop Homme had a bang, too. Kouros, Fahrenheit and Egoiste because one was so arschcool and felt so masculine and meanwhile it may also be fine and noble, speak also powdery, sweet or balsamic and still remains a real guy.

This Dior fits just as well on a suit, as on the small black one, whereby I would look with it surely totally crazy.

Conclusion:
A really interesting fragrance that I basically like, which although it seems to be simply knitted, has some nuances. Sometimes he is very feminine in his floral aspects, sometimes more masculine in his spice to become one in the base balsamic. But I can't and won't do that, because even if I like scents, if I like to share my hobby with you, there are limits. That I could enjoy this but once I found quite great.
My thanks go again to Sqsq97, who enclosed this fragrance to me.

To the next 150.
10.0 7.0 9.0 10.0/10

Ambre Nuit review
This is my take on the 2009 Dior Prive Collection release composed by Francois Demachy. Please watch and leave a comment if you have this and let me know what you think

~ Masterpiece Composition ~
~ Elegant does not begin to describe the notes that waft from this masterpiece! The deepest powdery amber, light peppery rose and a faint citrus come together to create the epitome of luxurious formal scent. Ambre Nuit is so sophisticated I feel guilty as the sillage catches my nose while wearing a casual shirt on a lazy day at home. This review shows you can praise a scent and admire it's composition but my search for the next bottle to join my modest collection goes on. Alas this floral and patchouli cologne creation after a generous sampling is not for my personal taste.
The journey continues ....
Kind Regards, Plat ~

Speechless...
Ambre Nuit is one of the most luxurious fragrances I have ever smelled! Every time I put this on it just feels sublime! Perfection in a bottle!

Ambre Nuit is essentially a rose and ambergris fragrance, which sounds simple... until you try it! It is so well done and smooth, that even though it is simple, it is one of the best things I have ever come across!

The Rose is made sparkling and light and held up by the fresh bergamot and grapefruit, whilst the ambergris is surrounded by pink pepper, labdanum and amber... with hints of guaiac wood & patchouli. It's so fresh yet decadent! I think the idea behind this creation from François Demachy was to evoke the feeling of the grand balls 18th Century... full of elegant and decadent people. The fragrance certainly smells decadent, but it's also quite wearable at the same time.

This is without a doubt one of the best perfumes I have ever encountered... and I would recommend anyone to try it! Just beautiful stuff!
8.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

Ambre Sec
When dreams come true, Ambre Nuit should be worn.

This is a delightful oriental scent.
The amber is dry and crisp, caused by delicious bergamot, grapefruit and a fine rose. The pepper is rather present too.
I could wish for more sillage. On the other hand, I adore the private world this wonderful concoction creates.
Once again I am smitten with a beautiful contradiction: warmth and zest.

In my top ten.
5.0 5.0 7.0/10

A Not Very Ambery Oriental Cologne
Dior AMBRE NUIT is an appealing oriental cologne with spices more dominant than amber to my nose. I gather that the amber in this composition is not labdanum amber but synthetic ambergris, so maybe what I'm missing is the labdanum thickness--not the ambergris. There also appears to be a touch of incense or myrrh, and there is definitely wood in this composition, though some of these detectable notes are not listed in the hierarchy. I've been noticing though, in my travels through haute couture Dior, that they are fond of keeping their recipes a well-guarded secret. None of these niche-quality offerings reveals more than a few of its notes, though it's quite clear that they are all very complex, well-composed creations.

Wrist-sniffingly appealing, the only reason why I won't be adding AMBRE NUIT to my collection is that it is indeed a cologne, not an edt or edp. I used up my entire sample vial over the course of a couple of hours. I prefer my orientals in a more viscous format, but guys and gals looking for a thinner layer of oriental cologne should definitely give AMBRE NUIT a sniff.

Yos 15 months ago