Bois d'Argent by Dior / Christian Dior
Bottle Design: Hedi Slimane

Bois d'Argent is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for women and men and was released in 2004. The scent is woody-powdery. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesYemenite frankincense
Heart Notes Heart NotesSomalian myrrh, Indonesian patchouli, Florentine iris absolute
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Woody notes, Honey, Leather, White musk

Submitted by Sani, last update on 20.03.2019

9.0 6.0 7.0 9.0/10
Birkenwald, the Gustav Klimt's Birch Forest
Bois d'Argent is like a breeze quietly flowing through a hazy dale of silver birches at night. The first thing that you notice when spraying Bit is the brilliant juxtaposition of warm and cold notes presented against each other, the extreme opposite elements: the dry, ascetic leather and incense, and the soft, luscious notes of vanilla, iris, and honey.

The incense, a faint white frankincense that wavers lightly over a superb honeyed vanilla, and this forms the main character of the perfume. The iris is there in its absolute magnificence tailored in a quiet elegance, ain't no lipstick orris vibe as in Dior Homme, rather a more iris blossom delicate smell, yet the musk and leather are so softened as to be barely unnoticeable.

Birch gives the fragrance a subtle woody-leather character but the overall theme is baby powder, milk, and honey. Skinned almond adds a smooth bitter and nutty facet to the overall blend, which in some ways reminds me of Acqua Di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo Di Sicilia.

The incense, which is most prominent in the beginning, does not completely disappear till the very end, beautifully complimenting the woody aspects, which are played up by ambergris, patchouli, and frankincense, meanwhile, the soft powdery detail is expanded by vanilla and musks. My favorite part is in the interesting pairing of the warm ambergris note and the musky flour of iris. It gives not only a beautiful contrast but also a signature warmth.

Bois d’Argent has a soft, second-skin feeling about it and wears very close to the body, is light but not sheer in that modern minimalist way. It is a joy to catch its aroma every now and then, powdery and vanillic. This is a linear scent leaving you at the end of a day smelling of white musky vanilla. Lasting power is very good, above average, and it gets somewhat woodier as time goes on.
It is fully wearable by both men and women. It doesn't have the dreaded thin brutality that oftentimes occurs when a masculine cologne is sprayed on a woman's skin, and it's not too syrupy or candied that a man would raise an eyebrow when sampling. It is a polished day scent for the modern genders, Florentine iris allows you to also wear this fragrance at night, perfect for cooler summer nights.

-Elysium
5.0 6.0 8.0 7.5/10
Deliberating...
This is a nice resin, amber, myrhh, leather, with a hint of honey in the fragrance. Those are the notes I am able to pick out from start to finish.
Very nice, long lasting, unisex fragrance.
Can't speak badly about this scent.

I will cherish this ten ml decant I was given in a swap.
But I don't see myself, outright buying this fragrance.
If someone got this, as a gift... I'd take it fast and in a hurry from them and say thank you.
But I wouldn't spend $250 to $325 for it.
IMHO...
I used six sprays...both wrist, back & front of my neck, chest, and front of my shirt.

Will I buy this again?...No?

What's the strength of this? EDP.

Can you use it as a unisex scent? Yes.

Am I willing to trade this fragrance? No.

Should You Skip It, Sample It First or Blind Buy It? I say Sample it first.

Is it the old, new formulation? New.

What's its availability; in production, limited edition or discontinued? In production.

SKU Number: 3348900006249
Batch Number: Unknown (Production Date: ?)

Age: 25+
From: Facebook Group
Size: 10 ML
Scent: 5/5 (Nice).
Value: 5/5 (Swap).
Sillage: 3/5 (Three feet).
Longevity: 5/5 (Nine hours).
Creativity: 5/5 (Spicy, sweet & earthy).
Projection: 3/5 (90 minutes, but longer during warmer temps).
Versatility: 5/5 (Anytime & anywhere).
Compliments: 5/5 (The ladies like it).

Until next time, I'll catch you on the flipside.
6.0 7.0 8.0/10
Hitchslap
My interpretation is different...........
It seems the two notes most notice or that people seem to love about this fragrance is the iris and the myrrh. For me it's actually a turn-off, so much so that in the beginning I think of the top notes as rather dry.

I love the iris in Dior's Eau for men but here it paints, for the first two to three hours, a rather drab picture. Also, like so many mention on the internet through various review sites, this scent sits close to the skin with an average lifespan.

The part I do like is the second half of it's existence, I was able to make out a green and sweet aroma that impressed me, is it the cypress and honey?

I felt let down at first, it seems my interpretation or what my nose picks up is much different from that of others, glad I didn't wash it off after a couple of hours.
Just like heaven...
This one carries memories for me, I wore it in Paris one summer with a very special friend. The smell, the atmosphere, the beautiful company. Everything came together perfectly and I think this fragrance had something to do with that.

Dior has really done well with this one, it smells classy, it's smells royal, it smells amazing. "Bois D'Argent" means "Silver Wood" (specifically Birch), and when I smell this I do get the impression of birch trees, but "Argent" also means "money", and yes, it does smell like money to me. Pure class.

The fragrance opens up with a fresh, bright, juniper berry note. It settles into a gorgeous smelling Iris flower note coupled with sweet myrrh resin. Put simply this combination smells divine. This gives of the impression of a beautiful honey smell, all of which radiates off you like a beautiful cloud wherever you go.

I think that foremost this is something you will want to wear because you want to, not necessarily to impress specific people, although I personally believe that this is what a CEO would wear to a boardroom meeting or in his office. It almost smells royal!

This fragrance was part of Hedi Slimane's vision when he launched his "Dior Homme" line (along with Cologne Blanche and Eau Noire), many have even said that Bois D'Argent in particular served as the blueprint for Dior Homme (2005), which also used the Iris note. Unlike Dior Homme, I find the private range more up-scale, exclusive, and classy.

Basically, this smells expensive. It will not offend anyone, personally I think it projects well, enveloping you with the most sublime aroma you could come across. It's worth every penny as it comes in a huge bottle and lasts forever. Truly worth it in my opinion.

Soft, sweet, light, gorgeous and simply divine... if heaven could smell like anything, it would probably smell of Bois D'Argent.
The Journey of Bois D'argent
Subtle, yet quick to make an impression. The House of Dior are pros when it comes to incorporating iris. It's used in such a way, that it appeals without the thought of it being feminine nor masculine. A neutral note, but far from bland. Bois D'argent is like a journey. Its begins with you moving through a pale cloud of iris, then wriggling about in leaves of cypress. Suddenly the temperature rises and you find yourself among trees of resin. Amber and myrrh dominate the air, as patchouli leaves crown the land beneath you. Surrounding vanilla bean trees crowd you in and dripping profusely is honey from the combs above. The skies darken and where you go from this point on is pure mystery.

Elysium 10 months ago
Bois d'Argent is like a breeze quietly flowing thru a hazy silver birches dale at night. Ascetic incensed leather, and soft honeyed vanilla.+3
9.0