Bois d'Argent by Dior / Christian Dior
Bottle Design: Hedi Slimane

Bois d'Argent is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for women and men and was released in 2004. The scent is woody-powdery. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesYemenite frankincense
Heart Notes Heart NotesSomalian myrrh, Indonesian patchouli, Florentine iris absolute
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Woody notes, Honey, Leather, White musk

Submitted by Sani, last update on 21.08.2019

8.0 6.0 8.0 9.5/10

Dear heart
Since I can call myself a friend of the short and crisp statements,
but I always like to read the contributions of my dearest Pappenheimer subscribed by me (of course also many others) and recently I was "admonished", I am once again due, I would like to give something back and also take you on a small trip.

This trip is not necessarily localized. It is, but primarily, it aims at the title-giving goal - my heart.

... so I dedicate these lines to you, because you always strike a little faster at the olfactory perception of this little masterpiece from Dior.

Paris, February 2019:

It was a good time. Have a good time. The world turned in time of my contentment, it was my birthday and the circle of my closest, dearest and confidants was perfect and complete. It shouldn't take long to be a week to be exact, and it drew me to the French capital. At that time the winter was mild and it had warm temperatures. There laughs the heart and the mind and one feels free and alive after the previous winter blues.

Excited, euphoric and happy of all collected impressions of this wonderful and uncomplicated city, in which time seems to run a little slower, when one looks through the many street cafes, the bistros and seductive little shops with sinful macarons, my way, how could it be any other way as a perfume lover, found my way to one or the other boutique on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.

While I reminisce and try to get the pictures to speak, Non buzzes in my head, the more Édith Piaf's ne regrette rien that was there, the more funny way it was humming from one store or another.

When I entered the Dior boutique my sparkling and shining eyes had to calm down and I arrived and tested myself in peace through the PARFUMS MAISON CHRISTIAN Dior collection. Now he stood there. So much of him heard and read and I had great expectations. Hesitant and almost afraid, I stood in front of the bottle wondering what might happen as soon as I confirmed the atomizer and finest, small, liquid particles of this perfume adhered to my skin. I did it, closed my eyes and sniffed - at this point, please imagine how Dustin Hoffmann as Giuseppe Baldini, after smelling Jean Baptist's mixed perfume for the first time, raptures, gets goosebumps and a mama gasps out from Mia. The Mama Mia rotated in my head and I enjoyed and succumbed to the beauty and the silverwood grounding warmth of you.

It is a delicate, quiet and incredibly embracing companion that should have been called golden wood even better in terms of its scent characteristics. The individual fabrics of the pyramid are so finely interwoven that you can see them, but something completely new is created. One is greeted by a fine iris that is lightly incense-soaked, so that the association with warm hay in the most beautiful summer sun arises in me, without being sultry or oppressive. It gives freedom, vastness, distance and yet also the feeling of never being alone.

In the course of time, other artists join in, above all honey, which can almost be described as the main actor in the base, because over time it reduces the powderiness of the iris and creates creaminess. The woods and the leather are only accessories, perceptible, but not prominent. As do other individual notes in the heart. They create the big whole and no single note is inharmonic and fits into the composition of the chords in the right way.

So it was now, all fear and all hesitation blown away and I stood in my personal cloud from Bois d'Argent and was simply innermost fullest satisfaction and peace. I left the boutique and spent this wonderful February-Sunday afternoon with plenty of Macarons and tasty Baquettes and dedicated myself again to the tourist sightseeing.

Sometime in the evening I visited the basilica Sacré-Cœur. Armed with fresh cheese, air-dried salami and the finest wines, I stood up there on the terrace of Paris.
An unbelievable sight offered itself to me - the sea of lights of the city, the sparkling and far shining Eiffel Tower, love couple and equal three marriage proposals during my two-hour stay up there.

It was devoutly silent. The wind blew gently and I enjoyed food and drink as suddenly the most beautiful embrace I had ever received overtook and reached me - Bois d'Argent snuggled up to me again. The scent pulled into my nose and whispered to me gently that it would hold me and protect me, no matter when, no matter where, no matter how dark it would be and in that very moment, I had one of the deepest and most beautiful moments in the most beautiful company of a deep affair of the heart, felt the closeness, my body and simply listened to my breathing that walked calmly and evenly and noticed the tear that ran down my cheek. Deepest emotions, very deep happiness, love and complete contentment flowed through me and the silverwood became one with me. It shone brightly in the beautiful darkness and will always shine when it will be dark to me.

I was happy about the durability of this treasure which was about 8 hours at that time. Always quiet, never intrusive and with an intimate and private sillage, this precious jewel is a very performant treasure, which has to be searched for in me only after 10 hours +.

So I will finish this story and conclude by saying that Bois d'Argent is one of my most emotional, deepest and most important fragrances and I inevitably associate it with love, Paris, perfect happiness, warmth and security.

Forever and ever!
9.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

light - noble - elegant
I dedicate this very first Parfumo Commentary to this newly acquired masterpiece.

Since I had been following comments for several months, but never registered with Parfumo, I had to do it without resistance. I have always been a lover of good fragrances, but my love of the world of fragrances has grown so much in recent months that I bought about 15 new fragrances in half a year. The fact that I finally registered to express my opinion was only a matter of time & of course I hope that this comment about this fragrance can inspire somebody to try it out or to help with any ambiguity.

Now to the fragrance: Bois d'Argent is in my opinion the best of all Dior Privée fragrances. Very mysterious & light - nevertheless good durability despite not very strong Sillage. At first I didn't know if I should go for Ambre Nuit because a good colleague was extremely enthusiastic about it and he seems to be the most popular of the collection and also the one with the best rating on Parfumo. Since I seldom go on the opinion of others, but still like to listen to them, it had to be Bois d'Argent...

For me it is more unobtrusive, less floral, more mysterious, creamier, more mature, nobler & more elegant than Ambre Nuit & definitely very specially combined. Especially in the dry-down very pleasant and light. The opening seems to me rather incense & iris-heavy, but after some time it looks very creamy and a light vanilla-coconut note mixed with a hint of honey and even a smaller hint of leather shows to develop. Even if vanilla or coconut is not mentioned, I think these notes are easy to smell. The shelf life is in the higher range, even if the fragrance itself is generally not very noticeable. It is like a light coating of absolute elegance and always looks very high quality and unique. For me it's one of the finest fragrances I've ever known and I think it's definitely worth its money.

Every listener & fan of the German Sprechgesangsmusik will know Mr. Schindler, artist name "Shindy". He mentions this fragrance in his song "Raffaelo" and if you look at his video clip and have the ability to record the atmosphere, you can see which vibe the fragrance has because I think it fits perfectly. Simply a light - noble - elegant composition in which life is celebrated with style and pleasure. That's how I see that scent. Even though it didn't trigger a wow effect in me in the beginning, it is and will remain one of my top 5 favorite fragrances & this will stay that way for all time.

5.0 3.0 4.0 6.0/10

Light carefree maturity
At first you can perceive a very tender resinous note, which radiates something soothing and is due to the incense, whereby I must admit that I could not perceive the incense explicitly, since the incense is at the same time relatively neatly overlaid by another resinous note
With myrrh my skin could unfortunately never begin anything, because it always appears dull, quite slightly bitter and with a light old-fashioned breath on my skin
At the same time the myrrh is surrounded by a strong, but by no means too strong, spicy and earthy note of the patchouli, which takes the dull, but unfortunately not the old-fashioned touch away from the myrrh
Above these two notes floats a fine, but nevertheless well perceptible, creamy, very slightly dry powdery note, which gives the fragrance something light and carefree, but also something mature, meaning adult, and comes from the iris.

I find the end of Bois d'Argent quite interesting, because I notice a very fine, very volatile milk chocolate note and at the same time also a little liquorice, which scores the degree to licorice, but never completes, so you perceive it as a touch and it could be the indicated amber, but I am absolutely not sure.

At the same time, this note is supported by a fine creamy, very delicate spicy nuance, which underlines the above mentioned touch wonderfully and can only be sandalwood for me.

These two notes are accompanied by what for me is a slightly sweet, viscous nuance that I would identify as light forest honey and gives a nice sticky impression
Very far in the background a very subliminal edgy, at the same time soft looking Nuance Bois d'Argent rounds off wonderfully, but I didn't come across leather.

The mentioned notes are surrounded by a clear, but not pure, not soapy, or even animalic note, rather I am of the opinion that the white musk was used as an intensifier of the other notes - or is the white musk responsible for the old-baked aura, which is also warhnehmbar in the base - I am not sure?

At the very end one of the finest causes (musk) is to be smelled: "Namely yourself!"

Overall, the fragrance lasts 4.5 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is conceived from the outset in such a way that one is perceived only 5 cm above the skin and this is maintained 2 hours in such a way, before it becomes unfortunately then very close.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "Leonessa" for the bottling
9.0 6.0 7.0 9.0/10

Birkenwald, the Gustav Klimt's Birch Forest
Bois d'Argent is like a breeze quietly flowing through a hazy dale of silver birches at night. The first thing that you notice when spraying it is the brilliant juxtaposition of warm and cold notes presented against each other, the extreme opposite elements: the dry, ascetic leather and incense, and the soft, luscious notes of vanilla, iris, and honey. Oh man, this smells incredible. Absolutely incredible. A perfect blend of all the notes that are listed. It is slightly sweet, yet woody, mysterious, and smoky.

It opens up with dry iris and kinda' like hot milk with a lot of honey infused center. It's semi-sweet, absolutely not a sugar-rush type of fragrance.
The incense, faint white frankincense that wavers lightly over superb honeyed vanilla forms the main character of the perfume. The iris is there in its absolute magnificence tailored in quiet elegance, ain't no lipstick orris vibe as in Dior Homme, rather a more iris blossom delicate smell, powdery, yet the musk and leather are so softened as to be barely unnoticeable.

Birch gives the fragrance a subtle woody-leather character but the overall theme is baby powder, milk, and honey. Skinned almond adds a smooth bitter and nutty facet to the overall blend, which in some ways reminds me of Acqua Di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo Di Sicilia.

After less than an hour, the woody part comes in and immediately takes charge. Very woody overall but soon gets dominated by resins, especially olibanum and myrrh. It's smoky, but it's not the church-like type of smoke. Very resinous, mysterious as well. I would say that there's also benzoin somewhere there because I can smell a tiny resemblance to Givenchy's Pi.

The incense, which is most prominent in the beginning, does not completely disappear till the very end, beautifully complimenting the woody aspects, which are played up by ambergris, patchouli, and frankincense, meanwhile, the soft powdery detail is expanded by vanilla and musks. My favorite part is in the interesting pairing of the warm ambergris note and the musky flour of iris. It gives not only a beautiful contrast but also a signature warmth.

Bois d’Argent has a soft, second-skin feeling about it and wears very close to the body, is light but not sheer in that modern minimalist way. It is a joy to catch its aroma every now and then, powdery and vanillic. This is a linear scent leaving you at the end of a day smelling of white musky vanilla. Lasting power is very good, above average, and it gets somewhat woodier as time goes on.

It is fully wearable by both men and women. It doesn't have the dreaded thin brutality that oftentimes occurs when a masculine cologne is sprayed on a woman's skin, and it's not too syrupy or candied that a man would raise an eyebrow when sampling. It is a polished day scent for the modern genders, Florentine iris allows you to also wear this fragrance at night, perfect for cooler summer nights. However, it performs at its best on a spring as well as a fall day, you will smell good all day long.

-Elysium
6.0 5.0 6.0 8.5/10

Silver trees?
Ah, the exclusive range of these Dior La Collection Privée fragrances I've always wanted to test. Sure, I've tried a few over time, but there's still the same reason why testing all these fragrances in general continues for so long: No, first of all, it has nothing to do with women's panic attacks, even though this collection is also supposed to be in the women's department in the store there.

No, the reason is that the fragrances in the shop where I normally go are at the very end just before the escalator with which you leave the floor (yes, the ladies' section). What's the problem? Well, until then you have usually sprayed yourself with many other fragrances and then you have no free space left. And unfortunately this also applies to the Privé fragrances from Armani, which I would love to test all of them. But no, I forget every time that I actually wanted to try these scents, but that it is already too late, when I arrive at these scents, since I am already fully sprayed...

*sigh*

I must be stupid or something, but I forget it every time...
Fortunately I get a sample of nice perfumes every now and then, and I would like to thank them all here for giving me the opportunity to test many fragrances. Among other things, these scents here.

Well, now I have a smell in my hands again. And the name Bois d'Argent means "silverwood", which sounds quite interesting. Because it could be directly from a fantasy movie or book, because a wood that is made of silver doesn't exist, I looked it up because of my pitiful botany knowledge, mu ha ha (but found out that there is a silver poplar, I'm so good!) :DD).

The fragrance:
The beginning is resinous, although it is somewhat difficult to tell whether I smell frankincense or myrrh, but I guess the latter more. It is also somewhat sweetish, as well as earthy through the patchouli.
Shortly after spraying the iris comes through more and more, it even becomes beautifully intense, but natural without crushing, and radiates a sweetish powdery aura. The sweetness is also reinforced by some amber.
A little later the fragrance is still sweet, but most of the scents are iris and myrrh, so the fragrance is both resinous and powdery and therefore soft and pleasant. It's a little clean and clean, but it's not soapy, I only mention that, because sometimes some people confuse soapy with clean soapy and therefore quickly run away from a scent when they hear the word "soap" :D
Woodsy notes are added in the base. From the sweet notes you can smell the musk instead of the amber, and if you sniff exactly at the sprayed spot, you can smell some leather.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The charisma is a bit moderate. Even if one might think that it still radiates well at the beginning, the intensity quickly decreases. Unfortunately, you won't leave too large a scent cloud with it.
The fragrance actually lasts for a long time, more than eight hours. But due to the too weak Sillage later one has the feeling as if after five to six hours one hardly smells anything anymore.

The bottle:
Hmm... first of all: The flacons are very high quality, because the material simply feels high quality. In addition, there is the magnetic, beautifully crafted lid, which shows the Dior logo on the upper side. However, in my opinion the flacons also look a little ZU simple, especially because of the rather simple white label. I know that some people like it, but I don't really like such simple bottles... :D

Oh, yeah, well, I think this scent is very good. As one would expect from resinous and powdery fragrances, it is very pleasant and soft. Some find powdery fragrances always feminine, but actually men should be able to wear them, right? Aaaaah, tell me what you think!
On the other hand, the later base is also woody, so the fragrance here could really be worn by men, but nevertheless, it would be interesting to know what women in particular think about a man using a somewhat powdery fragrance (... like "Midnight in Paris" or something... *sigh* The fragrance is so great! Okay, also because there's mate tea in it :D).

Anyway, my biggest point of criticism here is the low or moderately unusual Sillage, otherwise I would have said that the scent would be a nice scent. But you would have to spray yourself with it from time to time so that others can also smell the scent on one or on another, even if the shelf life here should be much better. Nevertheless, like most Privée fragrances from Dior, it is really worth a look! And from the fragrance point of view, it seems to me like an all-rounder that you can always use, regardless of the season.

So, now it's time to take care of the cat (you know, there is no Kommi without mentioning at least once the small scratch brush :D). Earlier it was thundering here,... so that the little scaredy-cat hid under the bed and watched me from there with shining eyes. ... But of course he still comes out for food, yes yes... :D
5.0 6.0 8.0 7.5/10

Deliberating...
This is a nice resin, amber, myrhh, leather, with a hint of honey in the fragrance. Those are the notes I am able to pick out from start to finish.
Very nice, long lasting, unisex fragrance.
Can't speak badly about this scent.

I will cherish this ten ml decant I was given in a swap.
But I don't see myself, outright buying this fragrance.
If someone got this, as a gift... I'd take it fast and in a hurry from them and say thank you.
But I wouldn't spend $250 to $325 for it.
IMHO...
I used six sprays...both wrist, back & front of my neck, chest, and front of my shirt.

Will I buy this again?...No?

What's the strength of this? EDP.

Can you use it as a unisex scent? Yes.

Am I willing to trade this fragrance? No.

Should You Skip It, Sample It First or Blind Buy It? I say Sample it first.

Is it the old, new formulation? New.

What's its availability; in production, limited edition or discontinued? In production.

SKU Number: 3348900006249
Batch Number: Unknown (Production Date: ?)

Age: 25+
From: Facebook Group
Size: 10 ML
Scent: 5/5 (Nice).
Value: 5/5 (Swap).
Sillage: 3/5 (Three feet).
Longevity: 5/5 (Nine hours).
Creativity: 5/5 (Spicy, sweet & earthy).
Projection: 3/5 (90 minutes, but longer during warmer temps).
Versatility: 5/5 (Anytime & anywhere).
Compliments: 5/5 (The ladies like it).

Until next time, I'll catch you on the flipside.
6.0 7.0 8.0/10

Hitchslap
My interpretation is different...........
It seems the two notes most notice or that people seem to love about this fragrance is the iris and the myrrh. For me it's actually a turn-off, so much so that in the beginning I think of the top notes as rather dry.

I love the iris in Dior's Eau for men but here it paints, for the first two to three hours, a rather drab picture. Also, like so many mention on the internet through various review sites, this scent sits close to the skin with an average lifespan.

The part I do like is the second half of it's existence, I was able to make out a green and sweet aroma that impressed me, is it the cypress and honey?

I felt let down at first, it seems my interpretation or what my nose picks up is much different from that of others, glad I didn't wash it off after a couple of hours.

Just like heaven...
This one carries memories for me, I wore it in Paris one summer with a very special friend. The smell, the atmosphere, the beautiful company. Everything came together perfectly and I think this fragrance had something to do with that.

Dior has really done well with this one, it smells classy, it's smells royal, it smells amazing. "Bois D'Argent" means "Silver Wood" (specifically Birch), and when I smell this I do get the impression of birch trees, but "Argent" also means "money", and yes, it does smell like money to me. Pure class.

The fragrance opens up with a fresh, bright, juniper berry note. It settles into a gorgeous smelling Iris flower note coupled with sweet myrrh resin. Put simply this combination smells divine. This gives of the impression of a beautiful honey smell, all of which radiates off you like a beautiful cloud wherever you go.

I think that foremost this is something you will want to wear because you want to, not necessarily to impress specific people, although I personally believe that this is what a CEO would wear to a boardroom meeting or in his office. It almost smells royal!

This fragrance was part of Hedi Slimane's vision when he launched his "Dior Homme" line (along with Cologne Blanche and Eau Noire), many have even said that Bois D'Argent in particular served as the blueprint for Dior Homme (2005), which also used the Iris note. Unlike Dior Homme, I find the private range more up-scale, exclusive, and classy.

Basically, this smells expensive. It will not offend anyone, personally I think it projects well, enveloping you with the most sublime aroma you could come across. It's worth every penny as it comes in a huge bottle and lasts forever. Truly worth it in my opinion.

Soft, sweet, light, gorgeous and simply divine... if heaven could smell like anything, it would probably smell of Bois D'Argent.

The Journey of Bois D'argent
Subtle, yet quick to make an impression. The House of Dior are pros when it comes to incorporating iris. It's used in such a way, that it appeals without the thought of it being feminine nor masculine. A neutral note, but far from bland. Bois D'argent is like a journey. Its begins with you moving through a pale cloud of iris, then wriggling about in leaves of cypress. Suddenly the temperature rises and you find yourself among trees of resin. Amber and myrrh dominate the air, as patchouli leaves crown the land beneath you. Surrounding vanilla bean trees crowd you in and dripping profusely is honey from the combs above. The skies darken and where you go from this point on is pure mystery.

Elysium 15 months ago
Bois d'Argent is like a breeze quietly flowing thru a hazy silver birches dale at night. Ascetic incensed leather, and soft honeyed vanilla.+3
9.0