Bois d'Argent (2004)

Bois d'Argent by Dior
Bottle Design Hedi Slimane

Top 57 in Unisex Perfume
Bois d'Argent is a popular perfume by Dior for women and men and was released in 2004. The scent is woody-powdery. It is being marketed by LVMH.
Scent goes well with Escentric 01

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesYemenite frankincense
Heart Notes Heart NotesSomalian myrrh, Indonesian patchouli, Florentine orris absolute
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Woody notes, Honey, Leather, White musk

Submitted by Sani, last update on 09.07.2020.

Luxquenox
Extremely nice scent, unfortunately only nobody smells it.
I must say that when I first smelled the fragrance, I fell in love immediately and I still love the scent - powdery, woody, sweetly airy with a magical note that you can't really describe. The name translated "silverwood" is very apt for what one imagines in the imagination underneath - the smell of the bark of a magic tree in a surreal forest consisting of silver trees.
Unfortunately, all this fizzles out because nobody but you can perceive the scent. I have tried everything from 4-8 splashes and even on active demand and smelling my skin, the scent often could not be perceived - that is a real pity

Did someone say money?
Who does not know it, you stand at the cash machine and get fresh banknotes. I always noticed the special smell of the paint and the cotton paper. This very special smell that fresh banknotes radiate, one also finds in the Bois d'Argent.

It is a great mix of the incense, the iris and sweet leather through the honey. The fragrance is relatively feminine, but can also be worn very well by men who want to wear a truly unique fragrance with confidence. The flacon from the entire Priveé series is simple, but high-quality processed.

With the Bois d'Argent you get a unique unisex scent that becomes sweeter and sweeter with time. Unfortunately it does not have the best durability and does not project extremely. If you want to enjoy the fragrance yourself or get intimate with someone, you still have a great and special perfume!
Dior Homme Cologne
At the beginning of the millennium, the young up-and-coming designer Hedi Slimane became the new creative director of the men's division of Dior. Under his leadership, the company radically repositioned itself and revolutionised men's fashion: simple elegance characterised by black and white, tight cuts and an androgynous image of men shaped Slimane's vision and can still be found in his fashion today. During this time he also launched three exclusive men's fragrances, called "Dior Homme Colognes". Among them Eau Noire, the now discontinued Cologne Blanche and Bois d'Argent, which has remained in the exclusive line to this day and is probably still one of the bestsellers.

For me, Bois d'Argent perfectly embodies the Dior fashion of the time. For me, the fragrance is first and foremost powdery and woody. But it's not heavy, it conveys a certain lightness, transparency and freshness. For me, the fragrance smells like a very modern version of a classic men's scent - without the classic scents you know from such fragrances. The iris, which is the focal point, makes it powdery and elegant without smelling of lipstick like Dior Homme. The frankincense and myrrh give it a spicy freshness that makes the fragrance interesting but not too exhausting. Woods, leather and musk give it a masculine-powerful base, which at the same time remains very clean. All in all, the fragrance has a cloudy, luxurious aura for me, which seems infinitely self-confident and stylish - without screaming too much for attention.

Durability and sillage are also recommended. The scent lasts for many hours and I can easily get through the day with it. The Sillage is present, but always stays relatively close to the skin. The scent is there all day and can be perceived by people in the immediate vicinity, but never so strong that it would become annoying or intrusive. Therefore the fragrance is wearable for me at all times of the day and year, but it probably works best in spring and autumn. I can imagine the fragrance for many occasions and it complements the chic suit as well as the white shirt with jeans.

All in all Bois d'Argent is for me the perfect addition to the wardrobe of a man who is sure of himself and his style and who is looking for a luxuriously light fragrance that complements every outfit in an interesting way without becoming the center of it. I therefore find the original label as "Dior Homme Cologne" incredibly fitting - there's no better way to sum up the fragrance.
Tijanero
The noblest iris in the game
The search for the perfect iris fragrance just doesn't stop - especially because I love DHI so much In the course of my constant research I often (rightly) became aware of Bois D'argent from Dior. The direct comparison with DHI, however, should be treated with caution, since the fragrances next to the iris have nothing to do with each other in my opinion
Well, as so often said, "Souk takes care of that" - said, done - bottling ordered and 4 days later unpacked and tested full of anticipation. What can I say... already after the first spray on the back of my hand, a slightly creamy, woody iris note blew into my nose, not at all obtrusive - it directly triggers the desire for more in me. So sensual and light, yet masculine, BD wraps itself around my neck like a veil. Since the first test order (5ml) I immediately ordered 50ml via sharing, because I just can't get enough. For me it is a clear sign of becoming a Knadidat of one of my signature fragrances, especially in the office, because it doesn't scream loudly, but rather elegantly and calmly accompanies me through the day.

Final conclusion: With "Bois D'argent" Dior Privée has put on the iris crown for itself, absolutely deservedly.
Egalite
I reach for the bottle... a touch of nothing!
A noble breath of nothing envelops my skin.
Stay with me, you breath of wood. So summer dry.
Stay with me, you touch of leather. So fine and subtle.
Stay with me, you classy brother of Dior Homme. So mature and noble.

Please, stay with me! I've loved you so much since the first second we met
...
The Dior Homme in a more noble and elegant version
This is my first souk comment, which I will make about a fragrance.
The Bois d' argent smells very much like the Dior Homme (as mentioned above), but it still has certain notes that make it, in my opinion, more noble and lighter, and its persistence is not really the best, as mentioned in other comments, but I think the Bois d' argent is a very pleasant, creamy and soft winter scent that you could wear on most occasions But what surprised me was that you couldn't find the Dior Homme in the fragrance twins, I would be interested to know if I am the only person who can provide references to the Dior Homme, so feel free to leave your experience under my comment.
Compromise
A spontaneous comparison: This Dior fragrance is often compared with Bois D'Iris from V&A, I think rightly so. Even though I would have preferred the V&A of one of my favourite perfumers (also because of the price), the scales are now clearly heading in the direction of Bois d'Argent.
Something Dior has done with this scent pattern, which shines more here, holds better with me, AugustA and does not develop this musty note, in which BdI always sinks imperceptibly during testing at the end, before he suffocates like a flame without oxygen.

BdA is also a bit more incense from the beginning, which I find more beautiful and a bit more serious. The BdI goes more in the direction of warming textiles, while BdA is more spherical for me. For me, this goes better with myrrh and incense, also with iris, which I prefer to have with a little coolness and melancholy, than the common powder and cream accent, also called lipstick chord. But you can't blame the BdI for that either. The iris butter in both fragrances is fantastically woody, warm and dry.

The Dior fragrance discussed here, however, exudes such an extraordinarily beautiful lemony myrrh as I had always searched for and only smelled it once before - and that was smoked myrrh. The VdI's not quite coming.

I am also interested in the other twin fragrances that are mentioned here, does anyone already know them and are they really comparable? Then I'll try them all, too. This iris-and-wood direction is really great.
But this much can be said in conclusion for today: The Bois d'Argent is hard to top, so silvery radiant, so woody warm.
Eau de Messdiener?
This fragrance has (for me) many scents with negative associations.
Frankincense and myrrh? Where are we at the Holy Three Kings service?
Do I really want to smell like the altar boy standing too close to the incense-panning priest? And then there's the patchouli, which usually can't convince me...

Nevertheless, I packed my courage, driven by my curiosity (the comments here sound promising and exactly to my taste), together and took part with whole 5ml in a sharing. However, I lost my courage again when I received the non-exhibited notifications from other sharing participants who had received the bottling earlier and placed it directly in the souk.
What the hell have I done?
The next day the scented mail also landed in my mailbox, nervously I opened it and of course tried it out directly.

All associations with any church service vanished into thin air with the first sprayer. I perceived the negatively contaminated incense as wonderfully fresh and woody. At the point where you think the incense slowly becomes a little boring, it steps into the background and the iris has her appearance, which she masters with bravura. The composition of iris and incense is supported by myrrh. Since I had never knowingly smelled myrrh before and actually only knew about the story of the Three Kings, I had to first find out what smell I perceived, but could not really interpret. It should smell spicy sweet and exactly that fits my perception. She joins wonderfully between iris and incense by supporting both. The sweetness flows into the powdery and the spicy into the woody. The basis is exactly what the name says it picks up on and reinforces the whole thing. This makes this fragrance woody-powdery-fresh.

Thanks to its low Sillage it is a good year-round office fragrance. Of course he makes himself also in the best way to any Occasions, with which a church attendance is a component ;)

In the end I was glad that other sharing participants had adjusted their fillings cheaply, so I was able to increase my measly 5ml, got a completely unused TZ (wtf?) and didn't have to start a new sharing directly.

In the long run this fragrance will complete my collection and I will have to find out:
1.) How to pronounce "Bois d'Argent".
2.) How the church managed to hold incense so negatively on me, although it can smell as positive as here.

Dear heart
Since I can call myself a friend of the short and crisp statements,
but I always like to read the contributions of my dearest Pappenheimer subscribed by me (of course also many others) and recently I was "admonished", I am once again due, I would like to give something back and also take you on a small trip.

This trip is not necessarily localized. It is, but primarily, it aims at the title-giving goal - my heart.

... so I dedicate these lines to you, because you always strike a little faster at the olfactory perception of this little masterpiece from Dior.

Paris, February 2019:

It was a good time. Have a good time. The world turned in time of my contentment, it was my birthday and the circle of my closest, dearest and confidants was perfect and complete. It shouldn't take long to be a week to be exact, and it drew me to the French capital. At that time the winter was mild and it had warm temperatures. There laughs the heart and the mind and one feels free and alive after the previous winter blues.

Excited, euphoric and happy of all collected impressions of this wonderful and uncomplicated city, in which time seems to run a little slower, when one looks through the many street cafes, the bistros and seductive little shops with sinful macarons, my way, how could it be any other way as a perfume lover, found my way to one or the other boutique on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.

While I reminisce and try to get the pictures to speak, Non buzzes in my head, the more Édith Piaf's ne regrette rien that was there, the more funny way it was humming from one store or another.

When I entered the Dior boutique my sparkling and shining eyes had to calm down and I arrived and tested myself in peace through the PARFUMS MAISON CHRISTIAN Dior collection. Now he stood there. So much of him heard and read and I had great expectations. Hesitant and almost afraid, I stood in front of the bottle wondering what might happen as soon as I confirmed the atomizer and finest, small, liquid particles of this perfume adhered to my skin. I did it, closed my eyes and sniffed - at this point, please imagine how Dustin Hoffmann as Giuseppe Baldini, after smelling Jean Baptist's mixed perfume for the first time, raptures, gets goosebumps and a mama gasps out from Mia. The Mama Mia rotated in my head and I enjoyed and succumbed to the beauty and the silverwood grounding warmth of you.

It is a delicate, quiet and incredibly embracing companion that should have been called golden wood even better in terms of its scent characteristics. The individual fabrics of the pyramid are so finely interwoven that you can see them, but something completely new is created. One is greeted by a fine iris that is lightly incense-soaked, so that the association with warm hay in the most beautiful summer sun arises in me, without being sultry or oppressive. It gives freedom, vastness, distance and yet also the feeling of never being alone.

In the course of time, other artists join in, above all honey, which can almost be described as the main actor in the base, because over time it reduces the powderiness of the iris and creates creaminess. The woods and the leather are only accessories, perceptible, but not prominent. As do other individual notes in the heart. They create the big whole and no single note is inharmonic and fits into the composition of the chords in the right way.

So it was now, all fear and all hesitation blown away and I stood in my personal cloud from Bois d'Argent and was simply innermost fullest satisfaction and peace. I left the boutique and spent this wonderful February-Sunday afternoon with plenty of Macarons and tasty Baquettes and dedicated myself again to the tourist sightseeing.

Sometime in the evening I visited the basilica Sacré-Cœur. Armed with fresh cheese, air-dried salami and the finest wines, I stood up there on the terrace of Paris.
An unbelievable sight offered itself to me - the sea of lights of the city, the sparkling and far shining Eiffel Tower, love couple and equal three marriage proposals during my two-hour stay up there.

It was devoutly silent. The wind blew gently and I enjoyed food and drink as suddenly the most beautiful embrace I had ever received overtook and reached me - Bois d'Argent snuggled up to me again. The scent pulled into my nose and whispered to me gently that it would hold me and protect me, no matter when, no matter where, no matter how dark it would be and in that very moment, I had one of the deepest and most beautiful moments in the most beautiful company of a deep affair of the heart, felt the closeness, my body and simply listened to my breathing that walked calmly and evenly and noticed the tear that ran down my cheek. Deepest emotions, very deep happiness, love and complete contentment flowed through me and the silverwood became one with me. It shone brightly in the beautiful darkness and will always shine when it will be dark to me.

I was happy about the durability of this treasure which was about 8 hours at that time. Always quiet, never intrusive and with an intimate and private sillage, this precious jewel is a very performant treasure, which has to be searched for in me only after 10 hours +.

So I will finish this story and conclude by saying that Bois d'Argent is one of my most emotional, deepest and most important fragrances and I inevitably associate it with love, Paris, perfect happiness, warmth and security.

Forever and ever!
light - noble - elegant
I dedicate this very first Parfumo Commentary to this newly acquired masterpiece.

Since I had been following comments for several months, but never registered with Parfumo, I had to do it without resistance. I have always been a lover of good fragrances, but my love of the world of fragrances has grown so much in recent months that I bought about 15 new fragrances in half a year. The fact that I finally registered to express my opinion was only a matter of time & of course I hope that this comment about this fragrance can inspire somebody to try it out or to help with any ambiguity.

Now to the fragrance: Bois d'Argent is in my opinion the best of all Dior Privée fragrances. Very mysterious & light - nevertheless good durability despite not very strong Sillage. At first I didn't know if I should go for Ambre Nuit because a good colleague was extremely enthusiastic about it and he seems to be the most popular of the collection and also the one with the best rating on Parfumo. Since I seldom go on the opinion of others, but still like to listen to them, it had to be Bois d'Argent...

For me it is more unobtrusive, less floral, more mysterious, creamier, more mature, nobler & more elegant than Ambre Nuit & definitely very specially combined. Especially in the dry-down very pleasant and light. The opening seems to me rather incense & iris-heavy, but after some time it looks very creamy and a light vanilla-coconut note mixed with a hint of honey and even a smaller hint of leather shows to develop. Even if vanilla or coconut is not mentioned, I think these notes are easy to smell. The shelf life is in the higher range, even if the fragrance itself is generally not very noticeable. It is like a light coating of absolute elegance and always looks very high quality and unique. For me it's one of the finest fragrances I've ever known and I think it's definitely worth its money.

Every listener & fan of the German Sprechgesangsmusik will know Mr. Schindler, artist name "Shindy". He mentions this fragrance in his song "Raffaelo" and if you look at his video clip and have the ability to record the atmosphere, you can see which vibe the fragrance has because I think it fits perfectly. Simply a light - noble - elegant composition in which life is celebrated with style and pleasure. That's how I see that scent. Even though it didn't trigger a wow effect in me in the beginning, it is and will remain one of my top 5 favorite fragrances & this will stay that way for all time.

Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 94 days ago
Bright, beautiful iris with woody, resinous undertones. Very safe, comforting, and perfectly unisex fragrance. Great for daily and office.
KimJongKimJong 7 months ago
There is a funeral atmosphere but it is sweet and elegant. It would have been much better if the sillage was wider.
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
Bois d'Argent is like a breeze quietly flowing thru a hazy silver birches dale at night. Ascetic incensed leather, and soft honeyed vanilla.
LockonLockon 2 years ago
Earthy resin...
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Wood appears light (becaus of iris) and illuminated by sunlight.

by IrisNobile
... tief im Silberwald (danke Dir lieber Mi...) ... hab‘ den  Förster noch getroffen .. ;)))
by Flanker
by Splashfrag12
by Altona
by Altona

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Parfum) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior