Bois d'Argent by Dior / Christian Dior
Bottle Design: Hedi Slimane

Bois d'Argent is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for women and men and was released in 2004. The scent is woody-powdery. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesYemenite frankincense
Heart Notes Heart NotesSomalian myrrh, Indonesian patchouli, Florentine iris absolute
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Woody notes, Honey, Leather, White musk

Submitted by Sani, last update on 03.05.2019

5.0 3.0 4.0 6.0/10

Light carefree maturity
At first you can perceive a very tender resinous note, which radiates something soothing and is due to the incense, whereby I must admit that I could not perceive the incense explicitly, since the incense is at the same time relatively neatly overlaid by another resinous note
With myrrh my skin could unfortunately never begin anything, because it always appears dull, quite slightly bitter and with a light old-fashioned breath on my skin
At the same time the myrrh is surrounded by a strong, but by no means too strong, spicy and earthy note of the patchouli, which takes the dull, but unfortunately not the old-fashioned touch away from the myrrh
Above these two notes floats a fine, but nevertheless well perceptible, creamy, very slightly dry powdery note, which gives the fragrance something light and carefree, but also something mature, meaning adult, and comes from the iris.

I find the end of Bois d'Argent quite interesting, because I notice a very fine, very volatile milk chocolate note and at the same time also a little liquorice, which scores the degree to licorice, but never completes, so you perceive it as a touch and it could be the indicated amber, but I am absolutely not sure.

At the same time, this note is supported by a fine creamy, very delicate spicy nuance, which underlines the above mentioned touch wonderfully and can only be sandalwood for me.

These two notes are accompanied by what for me is a slightly sweet, viscous nuance that I would identify as light forest honey and gives a nice sticky impression
Very far in the background a very subliminal edgy, at the same time soft looking Nuance Bois d'Argent rounds off wonderfully, but I didn't come across leather.

The mentioned notes are surrounded by a clear, but not pure, not soapy, or even animalic note, rather I am of the opinion that the white musk was used as an intensifier of the other notes - or is the white musk responsible for the old-baked aura, which is also warhnehmbar in the base - I am not sure?

At the very end one of the finest causes (musk) is to be smelled: "Namely yourself!"

Overall, the fragrance lasts 4.5 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is conceived from the outset in such a way that one is perceived only 5 cm above the skin and this is maintained 2 hours in such a way, before it becomes unfortunately then very close.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "Leonessa" for the bottling
9.0 6.0 7.0 9.0/10

Birkenwald, the Gustav Klimt's Birch Forest
Bois d'Argent is like a breeze quietly flowing through a hazy dale of silver birches at night. The first thing that you notice when spraying it is the brilliant juxtaposition of warm and cold notes presented against each other, the extreme opposite elements: the dry, ascetic leather and incense, and the soft, luscious notes of vanilla, iris, and honey. Oh man, this smells incredible. Absolutely incredible. A perfect blend of all the notes that are listed. It is slightly sweet, yet woody, mysterious, and smoky.

It opens up with dry iris and kinda' like hot milk with a lot of honey infused center. It's semi-sweet, absolutely not a sugar-rush type of fragrance.
The incense, faint white frankincense that wavers lightly over superb honeyed vanilla forms the main character of the perfume. The iris is there in its absolute magnificence tailored in quiet elegance, ain't no lipstick orris vibe as in Dior Homme, rather a more iris blossom delicate smell, powdery, yet the musk and leather are so softened as to be barely unnoticeable.

Birch gives the fragrance a subtle woody-leather character but the overall theme is baby powder, milk, and honey. Skinned almond adds a smooth bitter and nutty facet to the overall blend, which in some ways reminds me of Acqua Di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo Di Sicilia.

After less than an hour, the woody part comes in and immediately takes charge. Very woody overall but soon gets dominated by resins, especially olibanum and myrrh. It's smoky, but it's not the church-like type of smoke. Very resinous, mysterious as well. I would say that there's also benzoin somewhere there because I can smell a tiny resemblance to Givenchy's Pi.

The incense, which is most prominent in the beginning, does not completely disappear till the very end, beautifully complimenting the woody aspects, which are played up by ambergris, patchouli, and frankincense, meanwhile, the soft powdery detail is expanded by vanilla and musks. My favorite part is in the interesting pairing of the warm ambergris note and the musky flour of iris. It gives not only a beautiful contrast but also a signature warmth.

Bois d’Argent has a soft, second-skin feeling about it and wears very close to the body, is light but not sheer in that modern minimalist way. It is a joy to catch its aroma every now and then, powdery and vanillic. This is a linear scent leaving you at the end of a day smelling of white musky vanilla. Lasting power is very good, above average, and it gets somewhat woodier as time goes on.

It is fully wearable by both men and women. It doesn't have the dreaded thin brutality that oftentimes occurs when a masculine cologne is sprayed on a woman's skin, and it's not too syrupy or candied that a man would raise an eyebrow when sampling. It is a polished day scent for the modern genders, Florentine iris allows you to also wear this fragrance at night, perfect for cooler summer nights. However, it performs at its best on a spring as well as a fall day, you will smell good all day long.

-Elysium
5.0 6.0 8.0 7.5/10

Deliberating...
This is a nice resin, amber, myrhh, leather, with a hint of honey in the fragrance. Those are the notes I am able to pick out from start to finish.
Very nice, long lasting, unisex fragrance.
Can't speak badly about this scent.

I will cherish this ten ml decant I was given in a swap.
But I don't see myself, outright buying this fragrance.
If someone got this, as a gift... I'd take it fast and in a hurry from them and say thank you.
But I wouldn't spend $250 to $325 for it.
IMHO...
I used six sprays...both wrist, back & front of my neck, chest, and front of my shirt.

Will I buy this again?...No?

What's the strength of this? EDP.

Can you use it as a unisex scent? Yes.

Am I willing to trade this fragrance? No.

Should You Skip It, Sample It First or Blind Buy It? I say Sample it first.

Is it the old, new formulation? New.

What's its availability; in production, limited edition or discontinued? In production.

SKU Number: 3348900006249
Batch Number: Unknown (Production Date: ?)

Age: 25+
From: Facebook Group
Size: 10 ML
Scent: 5/5 (Nice).
Value: 5/5 (Swap).
Sillage: 3/5 (Three feet).
Longevity: 5/5 (Nine hours).
Creativity: 5/5 (Spicy, sweet & earthy).
Projection: 3/5 (90 minutes, but longer during warmer temps).
Versatility: 5/5 (Anytime & anywhere).
Compliments: 5/5 (The ladies like it).

Until next time, I'll catch you on the flipside.
6.0 7.0 8.0/10

Hitchslap
My interpretation is different...........
It seems the two notes most notice or that people seem to love about this fragrance is the iris and the myrrh. For me it's actually a turn-off, so much so that in the beginning I think of the top notes as rather dry.

I love the iris in Dior's Eau for men but here it paints, for the first two to three hours, a rather drab picture. Also, like so many mention on the internet through various review sites, this scent sits close to the skin with an average lifespan.

The part I do like is the second half of it's existence, I was able to make out a green and sweet aroma that impressed me, is it the cypress and honey?

I felt let down at first, it seems my interpretation or what my nose picks up is much different from that of others, glad I didn't wash it off after a couple of hours.

Just like heaven...
This one carries memories for me, I wore it in Paris one summer with a very special friend. The smell, the atmosphere, the beautiful company. Everything came together perfectly and I think this fragrance had something to do with that.

Dior has really done well with this one, it smells classy, it's smells royal, it smells amazing. "Bois D'Argent" means "Silver Wood" (specifically Birch), and when I smell this I do get the impression of birch trees, but "Argent" also means "money", and yes, it does smell like money to me. Pure class.

The fragrance opens up with a fresh, bright, juniper berry note. It settles into a gorgeous smelling Iris flower note coupled with sweet myrrh resin. Put simply this combination smells divine. This gives of the impression of a beautiful honey smell, all of which radiates off you like a beautiful cloud wherever you go.

I think that foremost this is something you will want to wear because you want to, not necessarily to impress specific people, although I personally believe that this is what a CEO would wear to a boardroom meeting or in his office. It almost smells royal!

This fragrance was part of Hedi Slimane's vision when he launched his "Dior Homme" line (along with Cologne Blanche and Eau Noire), many have even said that Bois D'Argent in particular served as the blueprint for Dior Homme (2005), which also used the Iris note. Unlike Dior Homme, I find the private range more up-scale, exclusive, and classy.

Basically, this smells expensive. It will not offend anyone, personally I think it projects well, enveloping you with the most sublime aroma you could come across. It's worth every penny as it comes in a huge bottle and lasts forever. Truly worth it in my opinion.

Soft, sweet, light, gorgeous and simply divine... if heaven could smell like anything, it would probably smell of Bois D'Argent.

The Journey of Bois D'argent
Subtle, yet quick to make an impression. The House of Dior are pros when it comes to incorporating iris. It's used in such a way, that it appeals without the thought of it being feminine nor masculine. A neutral note, but far from bland. Bois D'argent is like a journey. Its begins with you moving through a pale cloud of iris, then wriggling about in leaves of cypress. Suddenly the temperature rises and you find yourself among trees of resin. Amber and myrrh dominate the air, as patchouli leaves crown the land beneath you. Surrounding vanilla bean trees crowd you in and dripping profusely is honey from the combs above. The skies darken and where you go from this point on is pure mystery.

Elysium 12 months ago
Bois d'Argent is like a breeze quietly flowing thru a hazy silver birches dale at night. Ascetic incensed leather, and soft honeyed vanilla.+3
9.0