Leather Oud (2010)

Leather Oud by Dior

Leather Oud is a perfume by Dior for men and was released in 2010. The scent is leathery-animal. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Amber, Balsam tree, Beeswax, Birch, Clove, Cardamom, Labdanum, Leather, Oud, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedar, Civet

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 01.08.2020.

Chizza
Nice thought but just thought
Leather scents by designers are often such a thing, since they are designed for the masses and are therefore often toothless, generic and simple. The only designer scent in leather that convinces me is Gucci Guilty Absolute, many others can't do the theme, can't manage the degree between mass and intensive leather. Now then Dior. Dior, a company that can't offer me much, except for Fahrenheit, which admittedly hasn't created this fragrance in the upper price segment for the normal clientele.
What has now been mixed here could cause storms of jubilation in the niche, at least with a pure look at the ingredients. Leather, oud and civet, that sounds strong. Cardamom rounds off the experience and reminds here and there of London by Tom Ford. Now, despite the best ingredients, a fragrance must always be well balanced, because with impetuous ingredients that are used without measure, it can quickly go in the wrong direction. This is what it does here, as I would now like to explain.
First of all, a torrent of cardamom flows towards the nose. Spicy, very intense, with London touches, but more one-dimensional because it is completely cardamom-heavy and dense. That's something you'll appreciate if you have a weakness for this kind of scent. Sublim now resonates with classic leather, which is clearly marked by beeswax. This makes the fragrance look a bit marzipan-like, and the leather is difficult to handle in this combination.
Fortunately, this is not permanent, so the leather gradually becomes heavier and coarser as the beeswax recedes. This is massively supported by the civet, because it is more animalistic. Now, however, it must be noted that this has been greatly reduced. This will please those who are not able to deal with extreme niche or indie. But there is the crucial question how to keep it otherwise with the fragrance.
The oud seems to me synthetic, European, toothless. It resonates, you can see it, but that's about it. Here the question arises what was the purpose of the use of the oud. In theory it was successful, practically unbalanced and hardly thought through.
For me, Leather Oud is a good idea in the beginning, but then again it is an example of fear of one's own courage. Oud does not come through reasonably, the civet seems tame and the leather smells rough after one or two hours but then also subordinate. Once it is the centre of attention, it seems uninspired. In the end we get a castrated scent that has potential but has not been consistently implemented. Presumably due to the clientele, I dare say.
So Leather Oud is a strong fragrance, but intensity is not synonymous with leveling or balance.
Violent, violent!
During my last visit to the Dior-Boutique in Munich I found this little darling.
Of all the scents from La Collection Privée, I like Ambre Nuit even better, I'd like to say beforehand.

What struck me about the fragrances in the above collection is the fact that, in my opinion, really high-quality raw materials are used here.
An authentic Aoud I met until today only in the "The Night" created by Dominique Ropion for Éditions Malle, which costs a proud 1100€ for 100ml... and almost strangled my girlfriend. Well, I can't really blame her either since it's a damn grenade!

For my nose, leather oud patchouli and civet are most present here, but with time the leather takes a back seat and lets resinous woody notes enter the stage.

The Sillage is really extreme. For your understanding: Two hours ago I got 1! Drops made on the wrist and a roommate who came in to the door smelled it at a distance of 5 meters immediately.
Admittedly, he has a fine nose but nevertheless I find this amazing.

In the drydown it reminds me a bit of Oud 27 by Le Labo, only without these slightly fruity notes, whereas the dior appears much higher quality.

Everyone who likes authentic, a little animalistic Aoud should try it out, not to mention Lack&Leder fans!

Fulminate of Mercury
Don't know why I put that as a title. I think it was just a bit of word-association - the first thought that comes to mind on considering this 'fume. It might indeed be the demiurge Mercury's fulminate; or it might be that the potency of fulminate of mercury in ^its^ department is a parallel of the potency of this 'fume in ^its^; or it may be that "what the fulminate of mercury ... " is what I exclaimed when I first intraspired at this 'fume, it being an expression I have gotten into the habit of using in polite company as a substitute for something else!

Yes indeed it's quite a shocker, this one - one of the great beast-funky-skanky-skatty envelope-pushers.

And here cometh the veritably 'nevitable quetchin: does ^this^ one contain real oud?? You know, I don't really care all that much anymore - sometimes wish I'd never heard of the stuff, and that I knew of it only as a note!

So, let it be understood that when I mention ~oud~ here, I'm speaking of the ^note^. And the same applies to ~civet~, by the way.

It was a pretty bold stroke, combining oud & civet. A combination that ^does^ indeed °beg° to be implemented; but it's a bold stroke nontheless. Guaranteed fan-base - & I, for one, am in!

Bit of birch-tar as well, eh? Mmmmmm! Lovely! Are we to speak of that strictly as a °note° also?

Sex in a Bottle
Sexy stuff, sultry leather with Civet/Musk and Oud, Cardamom plays a lot in very little character. Don't wanna go into note details anymore but honestly wish to praise the Perfumer for this awesome blending especially dealing with Civet is not just everybody's thing.

Not an everyday scent, it could be worn in some very special occasions and believe me it will register your presence among hundreds of others Niche or branded top notches. Potent, Dark and very attractive masculine.

Awesome

Don't bother to try if you are in, one millions or Blues and Aquas.

AldestAldest 5 days ago
Oud ispahan with less rose and more leather ! Quite sexy and not that much animalistic as often stated ; there is a powdery note.
ScentedSalonScentedSalon 5 years ago
Strong poopy oud not for the faint hearted.

by Jaromil
by Jaromil
by Josefka
by Josefka
by Ribenti
by Ribenti

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior Les Elixirs Precieux - Ambre by Dior