Cuir Cannage 2014

Cuir Cannage by Dior
Cuir Cannage is a popular perfume by Dior for women and men and was released in 2014. The scent is leathery-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Leather, Orange blossom, Rose, Jasmine, Iris

Submitted by WRoth, last update on 01.11.2020.

Smooth leather
I don’t want to spread rumors but it seems to me that this fragrance is getting discontinued or at least limited in its distribution. Last year, I’ve also talked to some sales assistants in different parts of the world (Berlin, Dubai, San Francisco,...) who told me that they are out of stock without knowing if and when it’s going to be back in stock. Since there was practically no way to try it, I’ve made a blind buy online. Because it’s still in stock online (European Dior Website).

Everyone in the community knows that blind buys can go pretty right or pretty wrong. In my case I’m still not sure how to categorize this blind buy.

Upon the first spray on a paper tissue it reminded me on an old subway car with leather seats. It’s not really what I want to smell like. I got a similar first impression when I sprayed it on skin. However, on skin, the fragrance turns into something much more pleasant after 5 mins. And I actually can enjoy what I get after 5mins.

The scent is a very smooth leather with some florals (mainly iris and jasmine) to keep it balanced. This fragrance is not rough like Tom Fords Tuscan Leather and it’s not as sweet and gourmand like Valentino Uomo Intense or Dior Homme Intense. It has a tiny vintage vibe but still smells sophisticated and elegant. It’s unisex but for people 25+ years.

It’s a bit like a leather fragrance that was washed with a very high quality wash soap. So the florals do have a soapy appeal. However I find this fragrance also tiny bit animalic, due to the Jasmine, but this part of the fragrance never becomes dominant.

I don’t know if Dior changed the formula but I cannot confirm that this fragrance is filling a room. It projects nicely for a while and stays on skin for 8h (maybe even a bit longer) but it’s not beastly.

I have grown to like Cuir Cannage and I’m happy that it’s in my collection. But everyone has to decide for herself/himself if it’s worth 200€.
New 'Old School' Leather
In contrast to Chanel, Dior has not had a real leather fragrance in its exclusive range for a long time. At least none with the word 'Cuir' in its name. I think they wanted to counter the Cuir de Russie. Did it work? Well, something interesting, though not entirely new, has been created.

François Demachy was less inspired by the Chanel fragrance than by the original Viennese leather 'Knize Ten'. Cuir Cannage has this vintage feeling, this DNA, but in contrast to the Knize, it is softer, more elegant, rounder and less angular.

I had a French grandmother and sometimes I would take a few francs from her handbag to buy an ice cream. When I smell CC I see that handbag in front of me. It smelled like powder, lipstick and leather.

I find Cuir Cannage to be very unisex, somewhat dry, flowery and not very sweet leather scent In the course of time a great tobacco note is added, it gets a bit smokier and makes the smell very interesting.

On my skin the durability is very good and I love the scent.
Cuir Cannage, the French way of spraying leather
Greetings to all. Patrick ;-)
The golden mean
I love leather. More than any other component, it gives me a sense of invulnerability and strength, or to put it pictorially with Serge Lutens, perfume becomes a bit of iron armor for me, protecting its wearer. After having tested myself through all known leather fragrances in the past, Cuir Cannage was also on the watch list for a long time. Over the holidays the opportunity had finally arisen. Cuir Cannage is best described by relating it to other well known leather fragrances that I have already tested. It's not masculine like Knize and it doesn't smell spicy like 1740. No rebel. On the other hand, when I relate it to extremely elegant leather scents - like Cuir de Russie (the aristocrat among leather scents!) - that also fails because it doesn't look so polished. Cuir Cannage is actually right in the middle. When I smell the scent, I smell leather and orange blossoms. (This was described by some users as a "chewing gum note". ) The following pictures come to mind: An elegant but robust Louis Vuitton travel bag, the seats of a convertible or the leather seats of a sports car (Think for example of the chic model that James Bond drove into "Skyfall" when he brought his boss M into a safe hiding place :P). Sporty, elegant and absolutely suitable for everyday use, Cuir Cannage is for me. Cuir Cannage can't compete with the elegance of a Cuir de Russie and he's not a male, but he doesn't have to! For me as a leather lover it is a grateful alternative and alternation to the other listed leather scents. If you compare Cuir Cannage with other leather fragrances, you will also notice that it has a simple, minimalist structure (see Knize). Simply does not have to mean bad, but the concept works here like clockwork. I even think it's a high skill when fragrances have simple structures and are absolutely great in execution. I tested the fragrance in winter, where it easily lasts 8 hours and therefore has a very good durability. The Sillage is also good. He was noticed by my environment and (uninvited) complimented. At this point I would like to thank Bookie, who made this great fragrance experience possible for me. I love to wear this scent!
Yharnam79
Almost a little bit disgusting...
For a good half year I have now tried to like this fragrance or at least to be able to get something out of it in my last despair. I would really like to like it but the only thing this scent causes me is headache and nausea Leather braid? Where?!
Leather possibly with much fantasy.
But rather an almost unbearably soapy leg of flower. Whereby also the flowers under the nasty and chemical appearing soap bubble can only be guessed and if at all they smell here after 80's self-illuminating plastic toys Facets? Not perceptible for me, because there is simply too much of everything and yet hidden behind or in the already mentioned plastic-like soap.
"Ew, it smells like a cheap urinal cake!" I've heard that before.
In addition to this, there is a silage from the first sprayer on that almost makes me lose my breath. And the intensity decreases only very, very limited. I mean, you can't even get rid of the stuff all day long. But that should please those who like Cuir Cannage.
Personally, I find it to be an absolute slap in the face scent. Little extravagant, little fine but completely overfed, chemical-plastic, penetrating and almost a bit disgusting.

TombbbTombbb 5 months ago
An extraordinary mix of smoke, leather and sweet notes of flowers, strong violet. I also sense some fruits (raspberry?). Outstanding

by Achilles
by Vawallpa
by Splashfrag12
by Splashfrag12

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior