Oud Ispahan 2012

Oud Ispahan by Dior
Oud Ispahan is a popular perfume by Dior for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is floral-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesLabdanum
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli
Base Notes Base NotesOud, Rose, Sandalwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 19.05.2021.

An Aryan Tale Told With A French Accent
Ispahan or Esfahan is an important city as it is located at the intersection of the two main north-south and east-west routes that cross Iran, formerly known as Persia. It is famous for its Persian-Islamic architecture, grand boulevards, covered bridges, palaces, tiled mosques, minarets, and it also has many historical buildings, monuments, paintings, and artifacts. Isfahan’s fame led to the Persian proverb “Esfahān nesf-e-jahān ast”: Isfahan is half the world. And Oud Ispahan is the other half, absolutely. Oud Ispahan, named after the Iranian city, follows a traditional path by pairing oud with its beloved partner, rose. This perfume tells the story of two conflicting Persian souls, rose gold and black gold, or dry rose and burnt oud.

The fragrance belongs to the oud and rose family of blends, and the scent is mesmerizing from the start. The labdanum with which Oud Ispahan opens is acute, massive, balsamic, alcoholic, and gives it the distinct character of him. Its amber and slightly leathery quality are warm and seductive. It smells so damn raw and rough with hints of an old worn, and smoky leather jacket. Wow, that leathery deal was entirely unexpected for me, causing an internal struggle between pain and pleasure. The oud is already there; it has a smoky scent of some burning wood that blends with that of the floral water when you wash your hands in the unique bowl. The labdanum, the flowers, the woods give the perfume an almost camphorated nuance.

My decant is more oriented towards the oud, while the rose is drier than the gelatinous or the clerical one. About me, I have only a faint perception of the dried Persian rose note. Yes, the rose is dried here. Sure, it’s still there, but it doesn’t scream. Some roses first have a fresh and delicate scent and then reveal a peppery appearance, and here it contrasts dramatically with the darkness of patchouli and oud. I find this approach interesting because the trend for perfumes with a heart note of rose is to create a sweet, crunchy, and fresh accord. Here it is dry, smoky, woody, and resinous while maintaining a certain freshness. Instead, I get tons of labdanum on top of patchouli and saffron. Patchouli is soft, complements the scent with an earthy warmth without ever getting lost in that rough, harsh vibe that’s all too common. And the oud is very well balanced. After a while, when the labdanum and rose fade, I am left with saffron and oud, a mix that gives off a strong smell of dirty smoke and firewood. The rose continues to persevere on my skin. It is so seductive with soft hints of incense and camphor underneath and gives the perfume a slightly sweetish crease. The middle stage is like a Turkish delight that spreads up to the nose.

On the finish, it is slightly dusty and dries into something incredible, smoky pink, resins, incense. Agarwood is recognizable by the animal and leathery smell it gives off when it is burned. It is an intense, resinous, warm, slightly smoky, powerful, complex, aphrodisiac, hypnotic aroma, with few analogs in nature. The fragrance is so soft in the atmosphere where incense, some warm and pink resins persist, and the scent has a sensational and velvety oriental rose aroma. The oud adds an erotic edge to the fragrance; it is not medicinal, it is not sharp, it is mild and silky, an actual riot of luxury and calm. It has to be the addition of the resin that makes it so accessible. The rose is still there. It never competes with the oud; they both support each other beautifully. There are hints of a nice animalic nuance; I assume it comes from the oud and patchouli blend. Finally, creamy sandalwood and dry cedarwood are very docile, just to add some woodiness and keep the oud from entering the unsightly territory.

Although some aspects of Oud Ispahan seemed unexpected and surprising to me, and its elegant fragrance is a classic marriage of rose and woods, this perfume is not for everyone; at least, that’s my feeling. If you shop blindly expecting a natural succulent rose with a little oud to balance it out, you will be disappointed. It’s actually the other way around: rich leathery oud with a whiff of sweet rosewater to balance it, but not by much, so the oud is quite dominant here. The fragrance is winter par excellence, and it should be outstanding on summer evenings because it is not at all cloying. If you will wear it to the office, spray it lightly, as it has a noticeable trail and longevity. Longevity is excellent, and the projection is lovely, especially in the early hours, and I believe she won’t leave her winter clothes until after a few days have passed.

This review is based on a decant I have owned since February 2021.

-Elysium
Vogue2011
Braking News: Fire in the Golden Palace of Isphahan! Countless pieces of sandalwood furniture and the rose garden destroyed!
Oud Isphahan, itself already a MESTERWERK in my opinion of the Dior Privée line, unfortunately misses his best friend Leather Oud for several years :-( Together they were just HAMMER! Both worn at the same time resulted in a scent that I miss very much :-(
Last re-cry in an example: both sprayed on a shirt, after 1 week (!) it smelled as if it had just been sprayed on.

I join some previous writers here at this point:

Oud Isphahan is SMOKE DELUXE! I find but no "smoky" smoke, rather noble, gentle smoke as you know it from souks in the Orient. The luxury smoke ;-) is still accompanied by noble, hand-cut and enddornten roses and sweet sandalwood, which self-confidently still pushes in front of the roses.

I feel Oud Isphahan as a very successful "Oriental" which, at least for me", the real Oudnote of the Orient has captured well
Smoky...
WOW!
Exactly... that's the first thing I thought of this wonderful fragrance when I sniffed him the first time ....
Have him to first as a small filling had the was gone inerhalb 1er week....
My mfeld said he smells like pissouar....

I mean he smells in my opinion after the best rose oud fragrance I have smelled so far ...

Very smoky burnt oud ... in mixture with the rose just unbelievable.
he has become one of my favorites.
2020Antiope
Mmmhh! A fragrance to close your eyes and book your next riding holiday in Morocco
Oh yes, I love it, this scent, which the previous speakers described in detail and of course very subjectively
have described. That's why I don't write much more about it, except: if you love dark, intense, powdery rose scents, which are paired in equal parts with earth and leather nuances, but together they are not massive or exaggerated, but warm, a little bit animalistic, and thoroughly feminine, you are in good hands with Oud Ispahan! Sure, your wallet will groan in agony; but the miniatures from the "Maison Collection Privée" are affordable and even with the "Oud" fragrances a few drops are enough, you don't have to spray them!
DarkWinterCS
Rosé oud and everything okay?
My next test candidate is at the start. This Oud Ispahan is not only my next fragrance to test from the Maison Christian Dior collection, but could also be another candidate to succeed Oud Wood.
But I should be warned, because first of all the pyramid of scent stands like a sword of Damocles with its indication of rose above the fragrance and secondly the screaming colour of the juice to be sprayed alone gives me an inspiration that makes me think of my unloved rose.
Now you probably wonder why I'm always so stupid and test scents that show the rose in the scent pyramid when it bothers me so much. The first reason is that I had the sample with me anyway. Secondly, rose is not the same as rose and thirdly, I let myself be put off by a note. Otherwise many scents would probably pass me by, but they would be interesting and important for education and opinion forming. I will also come to the point where I would like to test the little Hyrax by zoologist, although it is punished so often. But purely for the formation of opinion and out of interest in front of Hyraceum such a test is important.

Oud Ispahan I can classify in retrospect as a typical representative of the Rose-Oud category and appears more common on my skin than I thought. There are also Labdanum and Patchouli mentioned, but I could not find them in the whole course of the book. It's a pity especially with Labdanum, because I love to smell this note, especially when it gets a little honeyy.
Sandalwood, on the other hand, I could hear just at the beginning, as it gave off a certain creamy note, which was very pleasant. Also the dark smoky wood with delicate rose underpainting was part of it at the beginning. In between I really thought that it would be a Rose-Oud combination that I might like. But the longer I had the scent on my skin, the more the rose appeared, which gradually took over the front.
This also had a positive effect on the sillage, because the more rose came out, the stronger the sillage on my skin became. It went so far again that I once again only heard rose in the surrounding area and thus a delicate, furry veil was once again placed on my tongue. I wanted to avoid that...

The durability is accordingly high and the smell remains quite long on the skin and maltreats me up to the extreme.

This scent has probably given me the rest for now, as I will certainly stay away from rose-oud scents for a while. One more experience like this and I can take a break again to clear my nose and get other smells Furthermore, I cannot recommend this fragrance for the price called. In my opinion, it's far too expensive for the bidding. It comes across so common that it could be replaced by a cheaper version of a rose oud.
HIRH
Summer scent for late risers
As the title suggests: the perfect summer scent for late risers. For a simple reason: The flowery rose makes the start - maybe Labdanum is also there. It's hard to tell, I don't know what labdanum smells like. The floral entry is so intense that at first nothing is noticeable of heavy patchouli or the oud. This means that the fragrance is also very easy to wear in summer - the flowery freshness remains carefree at first.

But after a few hours, patchouli joins the rose. A short time later, the rose has to give way to the oud, until hardly anything of it is noticeable anymore. The fragrance has mutated into a brute Arabic sheikh, which in summer can only be worn in the evening - a link to the rose is only perceptible in the background. The oud now dominates.

For all those who, like me, start the day at 14:00 and work mainly at night, so that the perfect summer scent. A flowery, fresh start, which becomes a heavy night-time scent just in time for sunset. Without having to spray on another perfume. The shelf life is so good that the Sillage is still clearly perceived by its surroundings even at late hours and brings some compliments. After the first test I could see it on my neck - neither joke nor exaggeration - nor months (!) after that on the collar of my winter jacket. The well-dosed spray bursts of the Dior Prive flacons do the trick, by the way. Two sprays are easily enough for this fragrance. Spraying is not only unnecessary, but even harmful. The magic of this fragrance is the strong contrast between rose and oud - the mutability behind it.

Therefore not the right summer scent for all early risers: it becomes so heavy too quickly that it is no longer adequately wearable in summer. But for all late risers or sprayers it is exactly the right thing - so it has become my summer signature. Cheers!
The slightly different Rosen-Oud
There are people who make a rather ordinary, sometimes even almost stuffy impression on the outside, but behind their façade lurk undreamt-of qualities and preferences. Logical - who talks to everyone about their 'kinky' fantasies? It is similar with Oud Ispahan.

For me this fragrance unites a lot of contrasts. Oud is present here in its animal form, but it is neither faecal, nor particularly loud, but very soft. The reason for this is the all-embracing rose, which is neither particularly bright nor dark and brings a honey-like sweetness with it. Labdanum can often be a bit strict, but here it is very discreet. Patchouli and sandalwood are also only to be understood as accessories in order to contribute more heat.

Oud Ispahan seems to be one piece - none of the notes can be clearly separated from the others, because they all form a close symbiosis. Although the fragrance is declared unisex, I see it more in women than in men, because for me the rose is more dominant than the woody-resin notes. Besides Ambre Doré, he is also one of the few whose animal qualities I do not find disturbing. The slightly dirty facet probably just makes it interesting - as it is with some people. ;-)
A Sillage with tricks.
From Dior's "Exklusivlingen" I already know the classic "Ambre Nuit", the always beautiful "Happy Hour" and also the Mediterranean-fruity "Balade Sauvage". They all captivate by a rather smooth, cuddly, nowhere magnificently offensive scent character and so I came to the perhaps premature conclusion that Dior, similar to Kurkdjian, creates a niche, which is meant for every nose, without losing character, however, and to chum up to the "frowned upon mainstream". That Kurkdjian can work with corners and edges, I realized later, when I dared to work on "Baccarat Rouge".
But can also Dior with corners and edges?
I had already heard of potential candidates like "Leather Oud", but I hadn't heard of them yet - until now.
"Oud Ispahan" moved in with me in the form of a bottling. The comments here on Parfumo were very mixed. The fragrance maker is sometimes said to be unimaginative and it is also written that it is a simple, often smelled rose and oud combination.

But now my opinion:

"Oud Ispahan" starts with a not-so-dark rose I was actually betting on. Rather, it is slightly fruity, but really only very light. The oud is not long in coming and envelops the thornflower with a very dark, dry woodiness, which also seems to resonate with a little smoke. In my opinion, the Patchouli, which is only small listed in the fragrance pyramid, can be weighted bigger. Thus it is he who gives the woody rose, which has long since ceased to be fruity, a very discreetly herbaceous character and in combination with the dark oud even imitates the smell of dark chocolate. This imitation will not be for people who love to consume the milk chocolate of well-known manufacturers, which is sweetened in my eyes, but rather for those who truly love chocolate as much as we all love our scented waters. It is a chocolate - or at least a skilful pretence - for all those who still have water in their mouths even with 60 percent cocoa. In olfactory terms, this is expressed by bitter, absolutely unsweet notes that accompany the dark floral rose and above all fill entire rooms. The durability and sillage are strangely strong and not in line with the less potent fragrances from the Maison Christian Dior series, which I mentioned at the beginning of my commentary.
I promise you, this scent will catch your eye. The Sillage, by the way, is pretty sophisticated, I think. Far away, third parties perceive the dark rose to a large extent, which neither female nor male, but absolutely unisex-suited comes along. As we get closer, the oud gradually becomes noticeable and the gender-neutral rose becomes more angular, dirtier and thornier. If one dares to get even closer, the bitterness sets in, which might frighten some, others might be even more fascinated.
The behaviour of "Oud Ispahan" reminds me in some way of the sirens that Odysseus encountered on his odyssey. They, too, appeared friendly and loving at a distance, serving bait and curls to reveal their monstrosity when the sailor was already in their clutches and escape was hardly possible.

Have faith in this fragrance, dear perfumas and perfumos. Don't let this little story scare you away. "Oud Ispahan" is not a monstrous siren, really not, but the example occurred to me spontaneously while wearing this fragrance. I can't help it.
in the labyrinth
When I read: Labdanum, Patchouli and Sandalwood I am actually very, very curious.
I love them all.
So my curiosity for Christian Dior's "Oud Ispahan" was of course special; I still have CD from the past as very sympathetic "on the note".
And with two bottlings of "Oud Ispahan" sent to me, something special had to await me.

Especially yes, but not in the sense I had in mind.
With only five fragrances, which all have something extraordinary about them, a great mixture had to be created.
It's not like that for me: I'm mistaken by this scent composition!
A resinous, spicy Labdanum chord leads me into the middle of a scent labyrinth that I can't (almost) leave alone.
During my escape attempts I meet "my Darling Patchouli" and can only say: Man, how have you changed!
Where is the glow, the floating gold, the patchouli embodying for me?
Sandalwood and rose say "hello!", but they seem to be more like solitaires: these scented melanges don't want to combine.
The scent is very restless on my skin, as if he were looking for it.
Even Oud doesn't find a real station to "dock".
I'm mistaken from fragrance to fragrance, try to stir them, shake them: my cocktails used to be quite popular!

In spite of very high intensity in durability and sillage, I give it up: we both - "Oud Ispahan" and I - do not find each other!
Even a thorough wash does not help; the scent building blocks are still wafting around me for a long time.
No matter how often I try and motivate myself with the name CD: I'm standing in the middle of the labyrinth of five fragrances and have lost my way!
And it seems I'm not all alone there!

So both bottlings of "Oud Ispahan" may continue to travel.
My currently very pronounced need for harmony unfortunately does not allow togetherness.
Too bad, but not to change!
0815 Oud-Rose Combo
Just because Oud Ispahan is from Dior doesn't give it extra points. Basically, I find the brand Dior in the fragrance area very strong. But this one seems as if you just want to throw an oud perfume on the market, because everyone is doing it.

Yes the rose may be a little more lovely than Montale or other brands, but on the whole it smells like it has before.
Except for Tom Ford's Noir de Noir, I still can't get much out of this combination, although I do like oud and rose.

Well maybe it's like Nutella and bacon. I like both for breakfast, but not together.

EstbienlaEstbienla 6 months ago
Rose/Oud Combo is not really classic because it's very animal. Hold on the skin forever
SetshabaCSetshabaC 9 months ago
Luxury in a bottle... Francois Demachy you are a LEGEND!!!!
GreMuserGreMuser 10 months ago
Smell of a stable.
TRehfTRehf 10 months ago
New formulation is less animalic and bold but in a good way. Much more wearable. Floral, woody, almost soapy. Performance less but still 10h
Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 1 year ago
Beautifully well-made, sexy, powerful. One spray of this can overpower anything, lasts for days, and somehow I don't grow anosmic to it.
SAQIBSAQIB 2 years ago

by Splashfrag12
by Josefka
by Josefka

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Parfum) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior