Oud Ispahan (2012)

Oud Ispahan by Dior

Oud Ispahan is a popular perfume by Dior for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is floral-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesLabdanum
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli
Base Notes Base NotesOud, Rose, Sandalwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 26.05.2020.

CoutureguruCoutureguru 7 years ago

„More of the same ...”

CrypticCryptic 7 years ago

„Unfortunate”

Call me morbidly curious. When a close friend with an adventurous and tolerant nose tested Oud Ispahan and found it repellent, I had to see what the stink was all about....
HIRH
Summer scent for late risers
As the title suggests: the perfect summer scent for late risers. For a simple reason: The flowery rose makes the start - maybe Labdanum is also there. It's hard to tell, I don't know what labdanum smells like. The floral entry is so intense that at first nothing is noticeable of heavy patchouli or the oud. This means that the fragrance is also very easy to wear in summer - the flowery freshness remains carefree at first.

But after a few hours, patchouli joins the rose. A short time later, the rose has to give way to the oud, until hardly anything of it is noticeable anymore. The fragrance has mutated into a brute Arabic sheikh, which in summer can only be worn in the evening - a link to the rose is only perceptible in the background. The oud now dominates.

For all those who, like me, start the day at 14:00 and work mainly at night, so that the perfect summer scent. A flowery, fresh start, which becomes a heavy night-time scent just in time for sunset. Without having to spray on another perfume. The shelf life is so good that the Sillage is still clearly perceived by its surroundings even at late hours and brings some compliments. After the first test I could see it on my neck - neither joke nor exaggeration - nor months (!) after that on the collar of my winter jacket. The well-dosed spray bursts of the Dior Prive flacons do the trick, by the way. Two sprays are easily enough for this fragrance. Spraying is not only unnecessary, but even harmful. The magic of this fragrance is the strong contrast between rose and oud - the mutability behind it.

Therefore not the right summer scent for all early risers: it becomes so heavy too quickly that it is no longer adequately wearable in summer. But for all late risers or sprayers it is exactly the right thing - so it has become my summer signature. Cheers!
The slightly different Rosen-Oud
There are people who make a rather ordinary, sometimes even almost stuffy impression on the outside, but behind their façade lurk undreamt-of qualities and preferences. Logical - who talks to everyone about their 'kinky' fantasies? It is similar with Oud Ispahan.

For me this fragrance unites a lot of contrasts. Oud is present here in its animal form, but it is neither faecal, nor particularly loud, but very soft. The reason for this is the all-embracing rose, which is neither particularly bright nor dark and brings a honey-like sweetness with it. Labdanum can often be a bit strict, but here it is very discreet. Patchouli and sandalwood are also only to be understood as accessories in order to contribute more heat.

Oud Ispahan seems to be one piece - none of the notes can be clearly separated from the others, because they all form a close symbiosis. Although the fragrance is declared unisex, I see it more in women than in men, because for me the rose is more dominant than the woody-resin notes. Besides Ambre Doré, he is also one of the few whose animal qualities I do not find disturbing. The slightly dirty facet probably just makes it interesting - as it is with some people. ;-)
A Sillage with tricks.
From Dior's "Exklusivlingen" I already know the classic "Ambre Nuit", the always beautiful "Happy Hour" and also the Mediterranean-fruity "Balade Sauvage". They all captivate by a rather smooth, cuddly, nowhere magnificently offensive scent character and so I came to the perhaps premature conclusion that Dior, similar to Kurkdjian, creates a niche, which is meant for every nose, without losing character, however, and to chum up to the "frowned upon mainstream". That Kurkdjian can work with corners and edges, I realized later, when I dared to work on "Baccarat Rouge".
But can also Dior with corners and edges?
I had already heard of potential candidates like "Leather Oud", but I hadn't heard of them yet - until now.
"Oud Ispahan" moved in with me in the form of a bottling. The comments here on Parfumo were very mixed. The fragrance maker is sometimes said to be unimaginative and it is also written that it is a simple, often smelled rose and oud combination.

But now my opinion:

"Oud Ispahan" starts with a not-so-dark rose I was actually betting on. Rather, it is slightly fruity, but really only very light. The oud is not long in coming and envelops the thornflower with a very dark, dry woodiness, which also seems to resonate with a little smoke. In my opinion, the Patchouli, which is only small listed in the fragrance pyramid, can be weighted bigger. Thus it is he who gives the woody rose, which has long since ceased to be fruity, a very discreetly herbaceous character and in combination with the dark oud even imitates the smell of dark chocolate. This imitation will not be for people who love to consume the milk chocolate of well-known manufacturers, which is sweetened in my eyes, but rather for those who truly love chocolate as much as we all love our scented waters. It is a chocolate - or at least a skilful pretence - for all those who still have water in their mouths even with 60 percent cocoa. In olfactory terms, this is expressed by bitter, absolutely unsweet notes that accompany the dark floral rose and above all fill entire rooms. The durability and sillage are strangely strong and not in line with the less potent fragrances from the Maison Christian Dior series, which I mentioned at the beginning of my commentary.
I promise you, this scent will catch your eye. The Sillage, by the way, is pretty sophisticated, I think. Far away, third parties perceive the dark rose to a large extent, which neither female nor male, but absolutely unisex-suited comes along. As we get closer, the oud gradually becomes noticeable and the gender-neutral rose becomes more angular, dirtier and thornier. If one dares to get even closer, the bitterness sets in, which might frighten some, others might be even more fascinated.
The behaviour of "Oud Ispahan" reminds me in some way of the sirens that Odysseus encountered on his odyssey. They, too, appeared friendly and loving at a distance, serving bait and curls to reveal their monstrosity when the sailor was already in their clutches and escape was hardly possible.

Have faith in this fragrance, dear perfumas and perfumos. Don't let this little story scare you away. "Oud Ispahan" is not a monstrous siren, really not, but the example occurred to me spontaneously while wearing this fragrance. I can't help it.
in the labyrinth
When I read: Labdanum, Patchouli and Sandalwood I am actually very, very curious.
I love them all.
So my curiosity for Christian Dior's "Oud Ispahan" was of course special; I still have CD from the past as very sympathetic "on the note".
And with two bottlings of "Oud Ispahan" sent to me, something special had to await me.

Especially yes, but not in the sense I had in mind.
With only five fragrances, which all have something extraordinary about them, a great mixture had to be created.
It's not like that for me: I'm mistaken by this scent composition!
A resinous, spicy Labdanum chord leads me into the middle of a scent labyrinth that I can't (almost) leave alone.
During my escape attempts I meet "my Darling Patchouli" and can only say: Man, how have you changed!
Where is the glow, the floating gold, the patchouli embodying for me?
Sandalwood and rose say "hello!", but they seem to be more like solitaires: these scented melanges don't want to combine.
The scent is very restless on my skin, as if he were looking for it.
Even Oud doesn't find a real station to "dock".
I'm mistaken from fragrance to fragrance, try to stir them, shake them: my cocktails used to be quite popular!

In spite of very high intensity in durability and sillage, I give it up: we both - "Oud Ispahan" and I - do not find each other!
Even a thorough wash does not help; the scent building blocks are still wafting around me for a long time.
No matter how often I try and motivate myself with the name CD: I'm standing in the middle of the labyrinth of five fragrances and have lost my way!
And it seems I'm not all alone there!

So both bottlings of "Oud Ispahan" may continue to travel.
My currently very pronounced need for harmony unfortunately does not allow togetherness.
Too bad, but not to change!

Pietros921
The old formula is very good
The Old formulation is very good, solid, abit powdery and might not be for everybody specially for those who suffer the powderiness, the strenght of the synthetic materials in their noses...but if you can stand this then it is for sure a good and also unique scent then if masculine, feminine, casual, elegant ...this one is very versitile so each person will think in a different way but overall very very Nice ( a solid Nice and a thumb up ) .
The more it stays on the skin the more it becomes feminine anyway..but at the beginning its slightly harsh and maybe more masculine.

Reigning Rose Oud
Initially, a cloud of what smells like superb incense rises, reminiscent of the likes of Craft, Thirty Three by Ex Idolo, and La Liturgie des Heures. Dior's notes for this fragrance don't include incense, but it smells like the beautiful and resinous elemi has crept in. In fact it's labdanum, patchouli and sandalwood showing off like I've never smelled them do so hypnotically, aided of course by a quite civilized oud. Then comes the gorgeous rose which gives this fragrance its name--Rose d'Ispahan, the longest flowering of the Damask roses. Originally discovered in the city of Isfahan in Iran, it was introduced to Europe during the crusades where it eventually came to the attention of the great noses in France--still the center of modern perfumery and the source of most perfumes. Having found this mesmerizing scent, I don't feel the need to explore more rose ouds. I compared it to my seven other rose oud scents and this beat them all, with Montale's Black Aoud coming in a strong second. I could wear almost any of the splendid Dior Private Collection, but this is the one that stole my heart. Think the best rose, the best resins and the best woods you've ever smelled. That's Oud Ispahan to me. Volume and longevity are wonderful.

Glossy oud
Oud Ispahan is another glossy, sophisticated, particularly silky and clean Western oud-inspired scent, with not much left of the original, animalic “dirtiness” and rawness of Far East’s precious (rotten) gem. Here, the oud note is basically only a tamed-down and polished sort of “dark-smoked” woody note, as scary as a piece of cedar in a Halloween dark costume. Not much else apart from the “mandatory” rose note so many oud scents seem to require these days – I guess to make it softer, trendier and more unisex; and a note of patchouli, basically an earthy-dusty flavor of cocoa floating beneath woods and rose. Despite having not much to do with proper agar wood, Oud Ispahan is undoubtedly a refined, pleasant, luxurious scent exuding “contemporary chic”, with just a hint of trendy shallowness – far superior to Montale stuff, for instance, and many other synthetic ouds we’re used to. This smells a bit artificial too, but somehow classier. Oud lovers may want to stay away from this, while it may suit fans of “French luxury” which want to “smell expensive” with a touch of dark exoticism. The price is surreal for the quality but I feel that wouldn’t be a concern of the average “exclusive” Dior’s lines customer.

6,5-7/10

Final quest of the oud
The first time I tested Oud Ispahan (without much expectation given that being fan of oud had tested enough), was in Paris last April, at Galleries Lafayette. Imagine how, in perfume section thousands of smells permeating the environment, so only a few hours and then tested various perfumes began to notice something amazing and outstanding.
Would be which one?
A friend of Fragrantica sent me, a few weeks later, luckily, a sample of this, and, miracle, was such, as I suspected!
Yes, the one of that rainy and magic day of Paris, which ended in a wonderful late afternoon at Olympia Café taking an aperitif, continuing to follow a perfect dinner the best steak tartare I've ever eaten in a bistrot in the Marais, and finally come to my hotel room beheld this smell that lingered from the first moment.
Became the end of my quest for the perfect scent, my Holy Grail!
Dry. Intoxicating. Exotic rose but not of bouquets, yes the one you can smell in the hot fields of Iran. And finally oud used subtly (but not hidden) in a fascinating scent of choice in fine tradition of Western school.
Compliments? Immense. Known and unknown women, mainly. Makes me feel the Suskind’s character.
There are many ouds I like. One day I will speak of them here. But for now, this is the one to which I will be eternally faithful. And I've never been a faithful guy ;)

Wonderful
Excellent scent - I love it.

Typically, I don't care for floral scents and I've only smelled one other Oud-Rose combination, which was a bit too feminine for me. Not this one.

The oud is dominate here and a bit harsh in combination with the rose. While there is a floral-rose scent, it stays in the background and is light enough to where men can wear it and not have to worry about smelling too feminine.

It has immense projection and longevity. Expect to get 12+ hours out of it.

More of the same ...
I tried to sample Oud Ispahan in Harrods on a visit to London last May, but it was unfortunately not available at that time. The generosity of the lovely Cryptic has enabled me to try this fragrance ... thanks so much for the sample!!

In the deluge of Oud fragrances over the last few years, Oud Ispahan is a little lost and floundering. Unfortunately it smells like a lot of other fragrances based around the same notes from houses like Montale and Nejma ... even Armani. I doubt very much that the Oud here is authentic ... more an aroma chemical representation of it ... but hey ... if it works for Montale ...
The issue is that the use of this type of 'Oud' simply makes everything smell the same ... the use of the genuine stuff would more than likely be cost prohibitive, as I have seen genuine oil going for as much as $30 000 per 10ml. That doesn't stop every other fragrance house from trying to cash in on the action by using the chemical version ... I guess at the end of the day, if one is a committed Dior fan, then Oud Ispahan will suffice.
Some of the merits of this fragrance are that it is a very smooth wear, with above average sillage and longevity. At the price point it sells for, these things should be the very least of it's attributes.
I can't help thinking that owning a bottle of this juice would, personally, be an incredible waste of money. I have fragrances in this combination of notes that cost way less, and imho are much better than this.

While Oud Ispahan is very nice I'm not going to break my head trying to acquire it ... the sample that I have will do for reference purposes and I suggest that if one is on the Oud trail, seek out the myriad authentic oils which proliferate on the net and can be had at a pittance. I personally feel that the Oud wave has crested and find my collection sufficient.

Update (27/6/13):

The more I've tried this the more I've realized that I can't not have it in my collection ... I've ordered a large portion of a split :) ...

Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 55 days ago
Beautifully well-made, sexy, powerful. One spray of this can overpower anything, lasts for days, and somehow I don't grow anosmic to it.
SAQIBSAQIB 8 months ago

by Splashfrag12
by Josefka
by Josefka

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Hypnotic Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior