Oud Ispahan 2012

Oud Ispahan by Dior
Oud Ispahan is a popular perfume by Dior for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is floral-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesLabdanum
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli
Base Notes Base NotesOud, Rose, Sandalwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 24.11.2020.

CoutureguruCoutureguru 8 years ago

„More of the same ...”

I tried to sample Oud Ispahan in Harrods on a visit to London last May, but it was unfortunately not available at that time. The generosity of the lovely Cryptic...
CrypticCryptic 8 years ago

„Unfortunate”

Call me morbidly curious. When a close friend with an adventurous and tolerant nose tested Oud Ispahan and found it repellent, I had to see what the stink was all about....
2020Antiope
Mmmhh! A fragrance to close your eyes and book your next riding holiday in Morocco
Oh yes, I love it, this scent, which the previous speakers described in detail and of course very subjectively
have described. That's why I don't write much more about it, except: if you love dark, intense, powdery rose scents, which are paired in equal parts with earth and leather nuances, but together they are not massive or exaggerated, but warm, a little bit animalistic, and thoroughly feminine, you are in good hands with Oud Ispahan! Sure, your wallet will groan in agony; but the miniatures from the "Maison Collection Privée" are affordable and even with the "Oud" fragrances a few drops are enough, you don't have to spray them!
DarkWinterCS
Rosé oud and everything okay?
My next test candidate is at the start. This Oud Ispahan is not only my next fragrance to test from the Maison Christian Dior collection, but could also be another candidate to succeed Oud Wood.
But I should be warned, because first of all the pyramid of scent stands like a sword of Damocles with its indication of rose above the fragrance and secondly the screaming colour of the juice to be sprayed alone gives me an inspiration that makes me think of my unloved rose.
Now you probably wonder why I'm always so stupid and test scents that show the rose in the scent pyramid when it bothers me so much. The first reason is that I had the sample with me anyway. Secondly, rose is not the same as rose and thirdly, I let myself be put off by a note. Otherwise many scents would probably pass me by, but they would be interesting and important for education and opinion forming. I will also come to the point where I would like to test the little Hyrax by zoologist, although it is punished so often. But purely for the formation of opinion and out of interest in front of Hyraceum such a test is important.

Oud Ispahan I can classify in retrospect as a typical representative of the Rose-Oud category and appears more common on my skin than I thought. There are also Labdanum and Patchouli mentioned, but I could not find them in the whole course of the book. It's a pity especially with Labdanum, because I love to smell this note, especially when it gets a little honeyy.
Sandalwood, on the other hand, I could hear just at the beginning, as it gave off a certain creamy note, which was very pleasant. Also the dark smoky wood with delicate rose underpainting was part of it at the beginning. In between I really thought that it would be a Rose-Oud combination that I might like. But the longer I had the scent on my skin, the more the rose appeared, which gradually took over the front.
This also had a positive effect on the sillage, because the more rose came out, the stronger the sillage on my skin became. It went so far again that I once again only heard rose in the surrounding area and thus a delicate, furry veil was once again placed on my tongue. I wanted to avoid that...

The durability is accordingly high and the smell remains quite long on the skin and maltreats me up to the extreme.

This scent has probably given me the rest for now, as I will certainly stay away from rose-oud scents for a while. One more experience like this and I can take a break again to clear my nose and get other smells Furthermore, I cannot recommend this fragrance for the price called. In my opinion, it's far too expensive for the bidding. It comes across so common that it could be replaced by a cheaper version of a rose oud.
HIRH
Summer scent for late risers
As the title suggests: the perfect summer scent for late risers. For a simple reason: The flowery rose makes the start - maybe Labdanum is also there. It's hard to tell, I don't know what labdanum smells like. The floral entry is so intense that at first nothing is noticeable of heavy patchouli or the oud. This means that the fragrance is also very easy to wear in summer - the flowery freshness remains carefree at first.

But after a few hours, patchouli joins the rose. A short time later, the rose has to give way to the oud, until hardly anything of it is noticeable anymore. The fragrance has mutated into a brute Arabic sheikh, which in summer can only be worn in the evening - a link to the rose is only perceptible in the background. The oud now dominates.

For all those who, like me, start the day at 14:00 and work mainly at night, so that the perfect summer scent. A flowery, fresh start, which becomes a heavy night-time scent just in time for sunset. Without having to spray on another perfume. The shelf life is so good that the Sillage is still clearly perceived by its surroundings even at late hours and brings some compliments. After the first test I could see it on my neck - neither joke nor exaggeration - nor months (!) after that on the collar of my winter jacket. The well-dosed spray bursts of the Dior Prive flacons do the trick, by the way. Two sprays are easily enough for this fragrance. Spraying is not only unnecessary, but even harmful. The magic of this fragrance is the strong contrast between rose and oud - the mutability behind it.

Therefore not the right summer scent for all early risers: it becomes so heavy too quickly that it is no longer adequately wearable in summer. But for all late risers or sprayers it is exactly the right thing - so it has become my summer signature. Cheers!
The slightly different Rosen-Oud
There are people who make a rather ordinary, sometimes even almost stuffy impression on the outside, but behind their façade lurk undreamt-of qualities and preferences. Logical - who talks to everyone about their 'kinky' fantasies? It is similar with Oud Ispahan.

For me this fragrance unites a lot of contrasts. Oud is present here in its animal form, but it is neither faecal, nor particularly loud, but very soft. The reason for this is the all-embracing rose, which is neither particularly bright nor dark and brings a honey-like sweetness with it. Labdanum can often be a bit strict, but here it is very discreet. Patchouli and sandalwood are also only to be understood as accessories in order to contribute more heat.

Oud Ispahan seems to be one piece - none of the notes can be clearly separated from the others, because they all form a close symbiosis. Although the fragrance is declared unisex, I see it more in women than in men, because for me the rose is more dominant than the woody-resin notes. Besides Ambre Doré, he is also one of the few whose animal qualities I do not find disturbing. The slightly dirty facet probably just makes it interesting - as it is with some people. ;-)
A Sillage with tricks.
From Dior's "Exklusivlingen" I already know the classic "Ambre Nuit", the always beautiful "Happy Hour" and also the Mediterranean-fruity "Balade Sauvage". They all captivate by a rather smooth, cuddly, nowhere magnificently offensive scent character and so I came to the perhaps premature conclusion that Dior, similar to Kurkdjian, creates a niche, which is meant for every nose, without losing character, however, and to chum up to the "frowned upon mainstream". That Kurkdjian can work with corners and edges, I realized later, when I dared to work on "Baccarat Rouge".
But can also Dior with corners and edges?
I had already heard of potential candidates like "Leather Oud", but I hadn't heard of them yet - until now.
"Oud Ispahan" moved in with me in the form of a bottling. The comments here on Parfumo were very mixed. The fragrance maker is sometimes said to be unimaginative and it is also written that it is a simple, often smelled rose and oud combination.

But now my opinion:

"Oud Ispahan" starts with a not-so-dark rose I was actually betting on. Rather, it is slightly fruity, but really only very light. The oud is not long in coming and envelops the thornflower with a very dark, dry woodiness, which also seems to resonate with a little smoke. In my opinion, the Patchouli, which is only small listed in the fragrance pyramid, can be weighted bigger. Thus it is he who gives the woody rose, which has long since ceased to be fruity, a very discreetly herbaceous character and in combination with the dark oud even imitates the smell of dark chocolate. This imitation will not be for people who love to consume the milk chocolate of well-known manufacturers, which is sweetened in my eyes, but rather for those who truly love chocolate as much as we all love our scented waters. It is a chocolate - or at least a skilful pretence - for all those who still have water in their mouths even with 60 percent cocoa. In olfactory terms, this is expressed by bitter, absolutely unsweet notes that accompany the dark floral rose and above all fill entire rooms. The durability and sillage are strangely strong and not in line with the less potent fragrances from the Maison Christian Dior series, which I mentioned at the beginning of my commentary.
I promise you, this scent will catch your eye. The Sillage, by the way, is pretty sophisticated, I think. Far away, third parties perceive the dark rose to a large extent, which neither female nor male, but absolutely unisex-suited comes along. As we get closer, the oud gradually becomes noticeable and the gender-neutral rose becomes more angular, dirtier and thornier. If one dares to get even closer, the bitterness sets in, which might frighten some, others might be even more fascinated.
The behaviour of "Oud Ispahan" reminds me in some way of the sirens that Odysseus encountered on his odyssey. They, too, appeared friendly and loving at a distance, serving bait and curls to reveal their monstrosity when the sailor was already in their clutches and escape was hardly possible.

Have faith in this fragrance, dear perfumas and perfumos. Don't let this little story scare you away. "Oud Ispahan" is not a monstrous siren, really not, but the example occurred to me spontaneously while wearing this fragrance. I can't help it.
in the labyrinth
When I read: Labdanum, Patchouli and Sandalwood I am actually very, very curious.
I love them all.
So my curiosity for Christian Dior's "Oud Ispahan" was of course special; I still have CD from the past as very sympathetic "on the note".
And with two bottlings of "Oud Ispahan" sent to me, something special had to await me.

Especially yes, but not in the sense I had in mind.
With only five fragrances, which all have something extraordinary about them, a great mixture had to be created.
It's not like that for me: I'm mistaken by this scent composition!
A resinous, spicy Labdanum chord leads me into the middle of a scent labyrinth that I can't (almost) leave alone.
During my escape attempts I meet "my Darling Patchouli" and can only say: Man, how have you changed!
Where is the glow, the floating gold, the patchouli embodying for me?
Sandalwood and rose say "hello!", but they seem to be more like solitaires: these scented melanges don't want to combine.
The scent is very restless on my skin, as if he were looking for it.
Even Oud doesn't find a real station to "dock".
I'm mistaken from fragrance to fragrance, try to stir them, shake them: my cocktails used to be quite popular!

In spite of very high intensity in durability and sillage, I give it up: we both - "Oud Ispahan" and I - do not find each other!
Even a thorough wash does not help; the scent building blocks are still wafting around me for a long time.
No matter how often I try and motivate myself with the name CD: I'm standing in the middle of the labyrinth of five fragrances and have lost my way!
And it seems I'm not all alone there!

So both bottlings of "Oud Ispahan" may continue to travel.
My currently very pronounced need for harmony unfortunately does not allow togetherness.
Too bad, but not to change!

Pietros921
The old formula is very good
The Old formulation is very good, solid, abit powdery and might not be for everybody specially for those who suffer the powderiness, the strenght of the synthetic materials in their noses...but if you can stand this then it is for sure a good and also unique scent then if masculine, feminine, casual, elegant ...this one is very versitile so each person will think in a different way but overall very very Nice ( a solid Nice and a thumb up ) .
The more it stays on the skin the more it becomes feminine anyway..but at the beginning its slightly harsh and maybe more masculine.

Reigning Rose Oud
Initially, a cloud of what smells like superb incense rises, reminiscent of the likes of Craft, Thirty Three by Ex Idolo, and La Liturgie des Heures. Dior's notes for this fragrance don't include incense, but it smells like the beautiful and resinous elemi has crept in. In fact it's labdanum, patchouli and sandalwood showing off like I've never smelled them do so hypnotically, aided of course by a quite civilized oud. Then comes the gorgeous rose which gives this fragrance its name--Rose d'Ispahan, the longest flowering of the Damask roses. Originally discovered in the city of Isfahan in Iran, it was introduced to Europe during the crusades where it eventually came to the attention of the great noses in France--still the center of modern perfumery and the source of most perfumes. Having found this mesmerizing scent, I don't feel the need to explore more rose ouds. I compared it to my seven other rose oud scents and this beat them all, with Montale's Black Aoud coming in a strong second. I could wear almost any of the splendid Dior Private Collection, but this is the one that stole my heart. Think the best rose, the best resins and the best woods you've ever smelled. That's Oud Ispahan to me. Volume and longevity are wonderful.

Glossy oud
Oud Ispahan is another glossy, sophisticated, particularly silky and clean Western oud-inspired scent, with not much left of the original, animalic “dirtiness” and rawness of Far East’s precious (rotten) gem. Here, the oud note is basically only a tamed-down and polished sort of “dark-smoked” woody note, as scary as a piece of cedar in a Halloween dark costume. Not much else apart from the “mandatory” rose note so many oud scents seem to require these days – I guess to make it softer, trendier and more unisex; and a note of patchouli, basically an earthy-dusty flavor of cocoa floating beneath woods and rose. Despite having not much to do with proper agar wood, Oud Ispahan is undoubtedly a refined, pleasant, luxurious scent exuding “contemporary chic”, with just a hint of trendy shallowness – far superior to Montale stuff, for instance, and many other synthetic ouds we’re used to. This smells a bit artificial too, but somehow classier. Oud lovers may want to stay away from this, while it may suit fans of “French luxury” which want to “smell expensive” with a touch of dark exoticism. The price is surreal for the quality but I feel that wouldn’t be a concern of the average “exclusive” Dior’s lines customer.

6,5-7/10

Final quest of the oud
The first time I tested Oud Ispahan (without much expectation given that being fan of oud had tested enough), was in Paris last April, at Galleries Lafayette. Imagine how, in perfume section thousands of smells permeating the environment, so only a few hours and then tested various perfumes began to notice something amazing and outstanding.
Would be which one?
A friend of Fragrantica sent me, a few weeks later, luckily, a sample of this, and, miracle, was such, as I suspected!
Yes, the one of that rainy and magic day of Paris, which ended in a wonderful late afternoon at Olympia Café taking an aperitif, continuing to follow a perfect dinner the best steak tartare I've ever eaten in a bistrot in the Marais, and finally come to my hotel room beheld this smell that lingered from the first moment.
Became the end of my quest for the perfect scent, my Holy Grail!
Dry. Intoxicating. Exotic rose but not of bouquets, yes the one you can smell in the hot fields of Iran. And finally oud used subtly (but not hidden) in a fascinating scent of choice in fine tradition of Western school.
Compliments? Immense. Known and unknown women, mainly. Makes me feel the Suskind’s character.
There are many ouds I like. One day I will speak of them here. But for now, this is the one to which I will be eternally faithful. And I've never been a faithful guy ;)

SetshabaCSetshabaC 2 months ago
Luxury in a bottle... Francois Demachy you are a LEGEND!!!!
GreMuserGreMuser 3 months ago
Smell of a stable.
TRehfTRehf 4 months ago
New formulation is less animalic and bold but in a good way. Much more wearable. Floral, woody, almost soapy. Performance less but still 10h
Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 8 months ago
Beautifully well-made, sexy, powerful. One spray of this can overpower anything, lasts for days, and somehow I don't grow anosmic to it.
SAQIBSAQIB 1 year ago

by Josefka
by Ch053n0n3
by Ch053n0n3

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior