Gris DiorGris Montaigne (2013)

Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior / Christian Dior

Gris Dior is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Calabrian bergamot, Turkish rose, Patchouli, Jasmine sambac, Amber, Oakmoss, Cedar, Sandalwood

Submitted by Joe, last update on 23.08.2019

The finite journey
It was in October 2014.
I tried to open a lemonade from a Spar chain in South Tyrol, but couldn't make it. I handed the bottle to my girlfriend to let her try it, hoping that at least her preliminary work would stop the lid so much that after her failed attempt my second would be crowned with success.
Pustekuchen; no chance.
So I had to give back or exchange an article at a supermarket for the first time, probably also the last time in my life in all seriousness.
Strangely enough, the saleswoman at the cash desk heard my probably not too everyday use of the exchange right with completely blunt indifference and told me to take another bottle off my shelf Done and Schwupps, the bottle could be opened.

And now comes my déjà-vu: the smell coming out of the bottle corresponded exactly to the top note of GRIS DIOR.
Since it was not a fairtrade traded gluten-, paraben-, glutamate-, microparticle- and animal-search-free vegan herb-lemon-limonade, I have to assume that the citric aspect here only comes from the retort Why I mention this: Just like that!

The Dior heart opens here very floral, in the shape of a rose. Rather a Persian rose picked early in the morning, than a Kurdish Bulgaria rose.
Clearly softer, powderier and not quite as ethereal.

The jasmine joins it shyly, but not subordinately. "Woody" it appears and not as tau-resinous as the typical real Jasmine.

Already after 2 hours the bouquet interweaves itself to a whole and dissolves in favor of the patchouli, which does not wobble like motor oil, but rather softly, nevertheless brighter shines.
Pastel luminescence so to speak :-)
The dusty oak moss leaves more and more of the scented sculpture. In the beginning still very earthy, it exchanges its chyprecharakter against more gentle, damp wood chord The ambry notes lend him a gentleness, but never the lustfulness an always pleasing ingratiation.

Nevertheless, hardly anyone can escape him or her.

A world full of gray gradations, but this gray can add color to the mind of black-and-white thinkers.

Wool rose buy?

No, thanks, I got it.
9.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Summer is saved!
In my circle of friends and acquaintances I stand for applying relatively heavy fragrances even in the summer months. What do you mean? I don't want to compromise on the selected fragrance. Either the "Freshies" are too citric-fresh for me, show a synthetic shower gel freshness, or have a very weak Sillage and durability.

During a spontaneous shopping trip in Frankfurt, we cannot miss the obligatory visit to the perfumery. So we strolled into a well-known perfumery on the Zeil and went to the first floor, where we became directly aware of the new area of Maison Christian Dior. "He hasn't been here long, has he?" my escort asked me. In fact, it seems that Maison Christian Dior's "Haute Parfumerie" has now also moved into Frankfurt, where customers are taken on an olfactory journey of fragrance creations by Dior's own perfume creator François Demachy with an appealing "Fragrance Shrine".

So far I have only been able to try out the fragrances in this series in Paris at the Galeries Lafayette and in London's Harrods. In Frankfurt this is now possible in a much quieter atmosphere and this time I was able to smell other fragrances besides my favourites like Ambre Nuit and Oud Ispahan.

My first, and at the same time my only, hand today went to Gris Dior, a fragrance that showed me that I would reconsider my principles described above from now on.

Gris Dior starts on my skin with a clear combination of bergamot and rose, which was soon joined by a hint of jasmine. At first I was skeptical if I could wear this fragrance as it might come across as too feminine for many people (and myself included). But since other fragrance creations from this house, such as "Fève Délicieuse", have already shown me that even supposedly more feminine fragrances can smell really good on men, I let about 25 minutes pass by and looked for a quieter side street in downtown Frankfurt and took it apart again in as neutral an environment as possible.

The initial attack of bergamot and rose is supported by a gentle note of jasmine. It took about an hour until a relatively light wood note came out and gave me the astringency that I had imagined in my ideas of a summer fragrance that would suit me, far away from citrus-fresh notes.

Normally I sleep several nights about the acquisition of a new smell, since with me only smells draw in, which must convince me in very many aspects. But everything came together here and that's why Gris Dior is now in my perfume cupboard waiting for the first use in early summer temperatures.
5.0 6.0 9.5/10

Attraction
I'm not usually a fan of unisex scents. I always make a big bow out of it. They're usually too harsh for me. Or they are sweet, but have this herbaceous masculine per se.
I automatically have CK One, Gaultier2 in my head. I just don't like...

But Gris Montaigne got me! Yes, he definitely has something harsh about him, which disappointed me at first. Here was written of a beautiful rose fragrance. Well, it doesn't get rosy with me...

It starts tangy and tangy, slightly sweet. Almost like a lovely men's shower gel. Unisex? Absolutely. He switches between male and female. I can't describe it.

Disappointed, I sat on the couch and thought I was done with the rose scent.
Despite that, I just couldn't stop smelling my wrist. It occurred to me whether I should give the bottling to my husband. It's a very nice scent.

But wait! After a while, he gets a little more sweet. Yes, Rose is coming out now. But this is not a sweet rose a la Chloe etc., no she is not sweet at all! Honestly, I like that!
I complain so often about these sugared roses, rose marmalade scents, etc. which slowly really hang out my neck.

Gris Montaigne is hard for me to describe. He's got some of everything. The name and the colour reflect this fragrance perfectly. You just can't put him in his exact place. Herb, but not too herb. Jasmine and Amber are making up for it.

Despite the harsh impact I can't help but drizzle all over myself with this perfume, so I have this scent all day long around me. You can do it in any case, because you don't kill anyone with the scent.

No, I won't give him up! I can't put it any better, but disappointment turned into love!
10.0/10

Mithril
Every fragrance has its time. And for me, the time seems ripe for Gris Montaigne. I know not everyone here likes private stories and associations with scents, but so be it. I don't (anymore) have to please everyone either. I've been trying that ever since I can remember, hoping to be loved. Well, times change and we change with them. And even if much is not in our hands, we have influence on our life from a certain point in time. Which way would I like to go? I face the pain, or banish it to the darkest corners of my soul. If I fall into the abysses, I let myself and others be destroyed, or do I look and struggle for mindfulness and healing? I chose the latter and went the path of greater resistance, the path that hurts and that sometimes demands everything from me. Today I can be proud of myself, look in the mirror and say to myself, "Melanie, I like you just the way you are." And this scent fits exactly to this feeling.

It is light and yet not fleeting. He is present and yet not exuberant. He's confident, yet he's not arrogant. He is clear and yet not distant. He is like Mithril, the material of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, which is harder than steel and lighter than silk.

Fire steels, the art lies in the decision to open his heart (again).

Duftsucht
My wonderful scented chameleon!
There are things that have the potential to accompany you as a memory until the end of your life. They seem in their perfection as if they had fallen out of time and space - and as if they were themselves enough in their being. For me, a fragrance like that is Gris from Dior.
Once again as blind sharing (but as always it was definitely the very-very-last one..... ) he came to me. I took him out of the mailbox when I was on my way to the orthodontist with my son. The atomizer was not inscribed and while I was digging in my brain, which fillings are just on the way to me - there were three :) - had to immediately put a first sprayer on my wrist, while my dutiful son was already wriggling because we were close. Well, that just meant cycling through the park a little faster! It's a good thing that I can also drive freehand if necessary, because during the trip I simply held my hand in front of my nose at some distance. Don't panic, of course NOT in front of your eyes! But I must confess that I was not only a little distracted, because a magical scent surrounded me immediately. Meanwhile my brain was rattling at full speed: Sharing number one (Pour un Homme de Caron L'eau) I can exclude, because lavender is certainly not! Sharing number two (Eau de Givenchy) as well, that's citric-izzish and I've tested it before. And what was the third one again???? Isn't it typical that in such situations only two out of three occur to you and the right one isn't among them? And if I had just waited for 15 sharings, then I would certainly have thought of 14 and exactly this one scent would not have occurred to me:)
The nice thing about it was that I could enjoy the fragrance the first time without having any preconceived fragrance expectations. And when I filled out my son's admission sheet at the doctor's, parked my hand very close to my nose, while the Filius stabbed me in the ribs with a pointed elbow like only teenagers can have ("Mama, you are sooo embarrassing, please stop smelling your hand all the time.....") I was fascinated by the unknown scent from minute to minute more. It begins at the moment of spraying with a light fresh spice, and a complex scent of roses is immediately added. It is a "built" rose fragrance for me, the rose is clearly accompanied by helping white-flowering plants that support the fragrance and make it softer and more elegant. It comes in the course of the time more spice in addition and a hunch of moss makes "Gris" more adult, without the slightest tendency to the Madamigen. The base is a wonderfully elegant blend of flowers, wood, patchouli and musk, over which a touch of bergamot can still be felt.
Gris is difficult for me to describe, he is like a phantom of a fragrance, from which the wearer assembles the exactly fitting elements according to her mood. There are days when it is flowery-fresh for me and I immediately think of bergamot and rose, of others powdery-elegant and I smell next to the rose a finely ground patchouli sandalwood, and sometimes it is for me a floating restrainedly proud chypre rose. Gris changes for me from accessible - flowery to artificially built and as if presented under a glass lintel. I would describe it as a dense fragrance, complex and deliberately built, but not minimalist, but overflowing. Because of its design it is not only fresh and flowery for me, but in the background there was a note hovering which hints at another side, a more serious, darker one, which the fragrance also has for me on some days.
I am lucky - Gris accompanies me through the whole day and I love him at all times as he changes over the hours. I don't feel any temptation to spray, because I don't want to disturb him, don't want to confuse anything in this for me so perfect and unique fragrance!
6.0/10

Coco Mademoiselle Reboot
Dior reboots Coco Mademoiselle by lowering considerably the floral and sweet aspects and making the whole idea more discreet and woody. It's not heavy woody, but a soft dryness that seems to make an harmony with the sweet patchouli and the blurred floral aspects.It indeed has something formal and office-chic on it. Why make it exclusive and expensive is what i wonder, since this could sell well (i guess) if added to the regular line. It has that balance of friendly and known tune with something different on it.

KingPin 6 months ago
Sorry, but I just have to get this out there: In Swedish "Gris Dior" means "Dior the Pig :D+3

... altrosa Rosen - verborgen unter einem kühlen grauen Duftschleier ......
by IrisNobile