Miss Dior (1992) Extrait de Parfum Original

Miss Dior (Extrait de Parfum Original) by Dior / Christian Dior

Miss Dior (Extrait de Parfum Original) is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for women and was released in 1992. The scent is chypre-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Galbanum, Gardenia, Sage
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Jasmine, Narcissus, Neroli, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Labdanum, Patchouli, Sandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.08.2019

In 2011, Dior began to refer to the original Miss Dior as 'Miss Dior Original(e)'. A heavily scented shrub rose was named after "Miss Dior".

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Powerhouse beauty
Having secured myself a bottle of the original formula from the 60s - what.a.find - I can only start by saying "Oh, so lovely!"

To be honest, I could not believe a fragrance so dated could have survived the pass of time... and yet, survive this one did. So yes, it IS possible to find bottles pre-1980s which are still "alive".

Miss Dior of then has nothing to do with today's and in stating this I agree wholeheartedly with the person who wrote the previous review here.
The two cannot be more different, like a great book and the rather disappointing movie made of it. Today what we get is a very vague, faint idea in liquid form of what the original might have been. But then, one has to really love a particular kind of scent to appreciate these powerhouse beauties, and modern taste has evolved preferring less complicated, at times gourmand notes.

For a powerhouse Miss Dior is: the first spray unleashes a potent dose of galbanun, with its heady, woody and green/leathery notes. Clary sage follow suits almost immediately, together with a faint gardenia and aldehydes notes giving a coldish tone to the concoction. I don't smell any citruses here.

Half an hour later I began to detect orris root, and carnation and lily, the latter rather more prominent. The last two create together an intriguing, rather passionate accord; it's like fire and water at the same time.

It takes another good hour before the other white flowers come forward; a gentle nudge of narcissus, a playful wink from jasmine. They are there to stay, but won't come to the forefront preferring to sit cozily where they are.

And then, when one thinks that all the magic has already happened, the distinct leathery tone of labdanum takes a seat on the skin with sandalwood. The vetiver here seems to partake only with a ghostly apparition, and then it's gone. Patchouli present, but rather muted in comparison with the other notes.

It might be an "old" scent for many, but to me this is timeless glamour and unique personality.
What can I say... I just love!
10.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Gold
Far from the tacky and the gaudy...
"Miss Dior" appeared in 1947 in order to complete Dior's New Look. After years of deprivations and the very masculine and 'tough' silhouette in women's clothing with shoulder pads and pant suits, Dior was launching a feminine look with a narrow waist, wide swinging skirts, thus emphasizing the gentle contours of the female body. Nothing of this Look should be reminiscent of the war. In this context one might expect a very soft, rosy fragrance, delicate flowers, powder. But, far from it! Paul Vacher and Jean Carles created a green, leathery chypre - not a tame, pleasing scent - but a strong, tart seductress.

This writing deals with my vintage perfume "Miss Dior" from the early 80s.

(The most recent version is marketed under the name "Miss Dior Original" and unfortunately it is not as long lasting and expressive as the vintage, although not to be discarded. I like it better than most new releases.)

Vintage "Miss Dior" starts with galbanum, very tart and green. Galbanum defines the top notes, and anyone who does not like galbanum might already take leave from this fragrance (which I would consider a pity, but could of course understand.) In the top notes light accents of gardenia, which were derived from a then new chemical component can already be felt. These components were also used by the perfumer Jean Carles in "Ma Griffe". The heart is composed of rose, neroli, jasmine and narcissus, still supported by the gardenia and touched by the iris. The drydown contains vanilla which many will neither expect nor notice, since the vanilla is cleverly tucked in between the classical chypre components (labdanum, oakmoss and patchouli).

"Miss Dior" Vintage has one of the most complex drydowns I know ... there is this slight tobacco/leather note, not to be confused, however, with full-bodied leather scents as "Bandit" which obtain their strength primarily from the Isobutylquinolin component. In my opinion, the leathery aspect of "Miss Dior" is due to the variety of its chypre components, but never to an especially added chemical leather accord. To me "Miss Dior" represents strength and intellect, elegance and daring. It strikes me as a modern and perfectly unisex fragrance, devoid of any sweetness and far removed from anything tacky or gaudy.

jtd
Clever renaming! Let's remember "Originale" in our discussions of new, tidier terms for Old Lady Perfume.
I know it’s the thing to poo-poo reformulations. Reformulation by definition is a negative until proven otherwise. It happens when materials become unavailable, outlawed, or replaced for cost considerations. It has a recent history of leaving us with perfumes that would be better off simply discontinued rather than staying with us as the walking dead. But here’s my guilty pleasure. I like the Miss Dior edt that I bought new in about 2005. It’s mossy, parched dry in a way that only a floral chypre can be, and sharp as a tack. Galbanum and aldehydes for days. Mossy-mossy-mossy. A sweet gardenia tone in an otherwise desiccated blend. A sage note that seems to come from left field. What fun! I imagine that what I have is a version that has had many ‘touch-ups’ (to put it kindly.) But I think that mine is also one of the last iterations with a substantial dose of oakmoss, which makes it virtually an object of fetish among the chypre-conscious.

On the other hand, I also have an edt from probably the late 70s possibly early 80s that I bought still boxed and wrapped for unbelievably cheap on ebay and I must say it is a markedly better-composed scent. Rounded, a dryness with such dimension, buttery florals, definitely more civet and leather. The 2005 version is like an x-ray of the older version. They might as well be completely different scents. (Given the renaming at Dior, I gues they’d be Grandmother Dior and Mrs. Dior.) I think that what appeals to me about the 2005 is that from the galbanum to the aldehydes, to the oakmoss, the materials just shout at you. Sheer volume is much of its appeal. The vintage has far more interesting things to tell you, but she has a conversational tone. There’s room in my life for both of these.

I try not to go too far into that “it ain’t like it used to be, kid” sentiment about reformulation. As a rule, I try not to nurture nostalgia. There are really only two that kills me. The change to the current de Nicolai Odalisque and New York from those I bought in 2006-7 to the ones I sniffed a few weeks ago break my heart. Fortunately I have these two Misses Dior to consider. I could tip either way on a given day. There’s hope!
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

A Floral Aldehyde Leather Chypre
MISS DIOR seems initially to my nose a true chypre but then a huge burst of aldehydes arrives on the scene, dominating to such a degree that I would call this one more of a floral aldehyde than a chypre. I don't know how I went my entire life without becoming acquainted with MISS DIOR, given that I love both floral aldehydes and chypres, but somehow it happened. Perhaps because of my conflicted relationship with DIOR: I loved EAU SVELTE (which they dropped) and I really dislike J'ADORE.

I would say that MISS DIOR is less complex than MADAME ROCHAS or FEMME, less dark than ARPEGE or SUBLIME, less crisp and limpid than WHITE LINEN, less soapy than CALECHE, less green than MA GRIFFE, less funky than DECI DELA, much less foggy than either EAU DU SOIR or MITSOUKO, and less leathery than JOLIE MADAME, KELLY CALECHE or MISS BALMAIN. Although MISS DIOR is reminding me of each of those perfumes in one way or the other, she antedated most of the above, so let's give some credit where credit is due!

I find MISS DIOR less grassy than YVRESSE or BALMAIN or CORIANDRE, but this soft and subtle brown-grassy drydown is still quite appealing to my nose, so I've added MISS DIOR to my wish list, in the hope that we might become better friends.
7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Leathery perfection
I tried this once before, but since being put off by the strong green and aldehydic opening I wasn't eager to try this scent again. However since delving into Dior fragrances recently, I decided upon giving Miss Dior another chance.

Once again I was turned off by this fragrance's opening which hadn't changed since I last tested it, however I waited it out because I wanted to see how this fragrance developed.

I must say that the way this fragrance settles on the skin is divine. When the sharp, almost bitter, grassy like note subsides, I'm left with a delicate, creamy and leathery scent which although slightly dated, has such a vintage charm.

Miss Dior is for the sophisticated lady. She's of the classic, conservative type and she's always emaculately dressed.

This fragrance is strong, but pleasantly so. The lasting strength is fantastic, but then again I wouldn't expect anything different from Dior.

I highly recommend.

Jazzy76 19 months ago
When I tested I recognized the true Dior's spirit . Classy and refined , "ladylike", well composed, as the old school suggests.I love it!+2

by Zora
by Zora
... zum Ausklang des Tages - verströmt sie ihren betörendsten Duft ... :)
by IrisNobile