Poison (1985)Eau de Toilette

Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior
Bottle Design Véronique Monod

Poison (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for women and was released in 1985. The scent is floral-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Submitted by Sniffer, last update on 14.12.2019.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Poison (Esprit de Parfum) by Dior / Christian Dior, which differs in concentration.

8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

first pointed - then tangy - then funny
At the beginning of this Poison I thought at first, the Christmas Grinch would have worshipped him, because his aniseed opening is a bit pointed - but then turns through the berries into fruity lively and cultivates a cheeky funny attitude at the start.

A rogue who thinks evil, because the wink of the eye suits the scent well.

But he finds his way back to a modest composure by making himself comfortable in a soft plum.
Also the rosewood has style, entwined by velvety dark red Baccara roses.

This Poison just wanted to mix up in the entrance - and show that Poison actually has genes in him.

I like that it doesn't want to deny its original origin.

It threatens only times briefly with the finger - gives itself then however powdery softly and beautifully calmly.

Jasmine and tuberose look elegant to beguiling - and from the almost rebellious start there is nothing more to feel.

Soft vanilla and sweet cinnamon go hand in hand - and sandal nestles confidently.

Foggy incense covers this poison - makes it a little opaque - but I would have liked to know what it still had to say.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Purple poisoned apple
Sultry, dangerous, poisonous, sensual..it all falls short to describe Poison, the monstre that came from the house of Christian Dior in 1985, causing commotion and disbelief among innocent passerby’s. An innocent apple shaped bottle holding a dangerous elixir. How could this be? But, there it was, unaware to everyone; the hit of the decade, what everyone would try and imitate.

Poison edt, review based on bottles from 1985 to 1992.

Poison, above all the extremes, the sensuality, the bite, was about fun. Yes, it was deep and narcotic, carnal, mysterious...but it never took itself too seriously. At least the edt. Powerful like a bulldozer it could be smelt from around the block. 1980’s carpets still have traces of it, and elevators permeated with Poison still have a purple hue in their mirrors, a smoke tendril of the fun that was ahead. You can still hear the laughter of the lucky wearers. And the lament of those who hated it.
Stewed plums, red and blue and black berries, hint of coriander, lots of honey and you get a hell of an opening. Just like a fruity cocktail; too sweet to know it gets to your head. The flowers on the other hand, oh, the flowers are all past their prime, dripping in carnality. Tuberose, jasmine, orange blossom, damascones galore with their wine-y tonality between rose and violets. Concentrated to the extreme, the best absolutes to accompany this crazy party, that had the warm company of cinnamon, opoponax, amber, vanilla, sandalwood, plus a castoreum bodyguard to keep things on the wild side named Hulk. Poison was a night out made perfume. So addicting that it lingered on skin until the next day, when you sprayed some more just so you could take the day ahead.
Poison was worn by everyone and everywhere, and it’s the main reason it was banned from restaurants and repulsed by many. On top, it was worn with abandon! Too much of a good thing ain’t so good it seems. Unfortunately, I missed those days by some years, and even though my bottles smell perfect, the settings around me are not quite the same. One has to cope with what one has!

For better or for worse, Poison, this little masterpiece from 1985 hasn’t fared well. The internet is still full of bottles mass produced for eternity, and you’re better of buying one of those than what is currently being sold under the name; if you want to experience true Poison, you need the real deal, not the impostor.

After all, who doesn’t look good in purple hued elevator mirrors? And if you close your eyes, you can still smell it!
7.0 8.0 10.0 10.0/10

What a bitch!
The first thing to notice is an intense deep sweetish fruity note, pleasantly ripe and dark, thanks to the plum,

At the same time, the plum is accompanied by another sweet, fruity note, which in my opinion is responsible for the plum's heavy, but refreshingly heavy appearance and the orange's origin, as well as the slightly light, spicy honey, which appears like a wafting veil on the skin and fits the composition surprisingly well
These two notes are surrounded by a strong floral, slightly woody note, which gives the top note a thick, even massive volume and stems from the rosewood
And yet there is still a pithy sweet fruit perceptible, which pleasantly enhances the dark aura and I suspect blackberries here.

In the background you can perceive a fine, deep-sounding spice, which brings something very discreetly peppery and tangy with it and gives the top note a beautiful substance and I can't say here exactly from which note this characteristic originates, but I want to affirm the interplay of anise, coriander and pimento, but I couldn't smell it explicitly.

This constellation is visible on my skin for 25 minutes before the heart note unfolds.

Well and then the smell really blows my record away - Wat für ne' Wucht! :-)

An intense, engaging, enclosing and lulling fleshy, palpable sweet, creamy floral note is now perceptible, which really leaves me speechless and I have recognized this note directly, because I always react extremely to this note and I mean that absolutely positive - namely tuberose and I am always amazed that such a fragrance can be filtered out of the relatively small flowers - and for me is nothing but pure and mature femininity.

"For one, this will be THE overkill, but ick find' didd just terrific!"

At the same time the tuberose is accompanied by a light, sweet floral and lively floral note, which is responsible for the fact that the scent of tuberose is increased immeasurably and is due to the jasmine and neroli.

These 3 notes are accompanied by a beautiful deep sweet spicy note that beautifully emphasizes the palpability of the fragrance and comes from cinnamon.

In the background there is another spice, which brings something peppery with it and gives the heart a wonderful accent and comes from the carnation.

Opoponax, Rose and Frankincense I could unfortunately not perceive, but I can imagine very well that these components were used for completion.

The heart note is perceptible on my skin for 6 hours before the base asserts itself.

The base becomes very pleasantly cuddly, warming and very lulling and is thanks to the amber.

The amber is accompanied by a very fine sweet and creamy note which is responsible for the cuddly component getting a caress and comes from the Bourbon - Vanilla.

These two notes are surrounded by a strong sweet cherry-like note, which also brings an intense powdery almond aura and gives the fragrance some gourmand notes, but the base is not to be classified as gourmandig because I think heliotrope was used to give the fragrance a tangible volume
In the background, the base is completed by a very soft wooden nuance, which adds something smooth to the finish of the fragrance and comes from the cedar.

Also there is a very discreet earthy, quite slightly sweet nuance to be noticed, which provides for a nice deep finish and I have actually typed on patchouli instead of vetiver.

Musk and sandalwood were unfortunately not visible to me, but I can imagine very well that they were used for complementation.

In total the fragrance lasts 15 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is designed in the first 3 hours in such a way that one is perceived very clearly to the 2.5 meters and then oscillates 2 hours on a very clearly perceptible whole arm length, before it minimizes itself to the end of the smell in quiet steps
I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "Cocinera" for the vintage bottling.
10.0 9.0 9.0 9.0/10

The Potion Of Seduction By Christian Dior
If you just as I love perfumes with a "vintage" footprint, you need to try this one. Christian Dior's Poison is a classic that revolutionized perfumery in the 80's. Its intense and obscure notes conquered the world with a fair amount of mystery, daring and seduction. But I warn you that it is not those perfumes that you will fall in love at first, this is one of those perfumes that either you love or you hate and if you love him believe, you will hate to love him.
10.0 6.0 4.0 10.0/10

LavenderSky8
I own the current REFORMULATION..
not the original seductive 80's potion. The scent is GORGEOUS, but the longevity of the scent is horrible. I'm lucky if I get 2 hours staying power on my wrist. That being said, I love the scent and I'm proud to have current POISON in my collection.
7.5 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Drseid
80s Seduction In a Bottle...
Poison (vintage) opens with an orange-plum-grape syrup accord with hints of underlying jasmine. As the composition moves to its early heart the jasmine takes over alongside the now co-starring banana-like tuberose and moderately sweet deep honeyed plum, adding hints of cinnamon spice support. During the late dry-down the composition turns slightly powdery as almond-vanilla-like floral heliotrope takes over control from the vacating jasmine and tuberose, with moderately sweet sandalwood and relatively tame musk adding support through the finish. Projection is outstanding, as is longevity at about 15 hours on skin.

Oh yeah, vintage Poison has the great 80s hallmarks all over it. It is powerhouse Eau de Toilette compositions like this that make one wonder how credible the Eau de Parfum and Extrait composition strengths of today that command premium prices really are. This stuff is nuclear strong, only needing a couple small dabs from the stopper to create nuclear projection. Performance aside, the composition smells absolutely heavenly when used in moderation. The first note that stood out over all others was the jasmine, as it really is the driver of the composition with the tuberose a close second. Together the two meld perfectly with the honeyed plum accord, creating a mixture that is absolutely intoxicating. The heliotrope driven base is less interesting, but it never gets too powdery, and as the mid-section is so powerful (both in its hypnotic scent profile and its potency), a little bit of a respite is welcome. Vintage Poison has "masterpiece" written all over it, and it comes as no surprise that one of the two perfumers behind it is none other than the great and highly underrated Edouard Flechier -- one of my absolute all-time favorite perfumers that hasn't released a dud yet (and the other, Jean Guichard is no slouch either). I certainly would love smelling Poison on a lady, but I confess this is one I want to wear too. The bottom line is vintage Poison EdT is completely true to its 80s powerhouse roots, adding yet another masterpiece to my favorite decade of perfumery earning it a 4.5 to 5 star out of 5 rating and an extremely strong recommendation to all. Bravo Flechier and Guichard!
10.0 7.5 10.0 9.0/10

MasterLi
A touch of dark magic...
What a fragrance! Smelling this one is such an experience all by itself! A classic that has been around first as a phenomenon and then as a cult favourite for decades!

I am so happy that I finally got to try this one. The mother of all fruity, boozy sweet floral wonders! Experiencing Dior Poison is such a magical thing that I needed to write about it.

Ok, so the version I have is the current Eau de Toilette. I haven't experienced older or stronger versions, but the one I have here has impressed me enough. To me, it is a very "gothic" kind of fragrance. You have a blast of stewed and boozy fruits (plum, berries, and honey and cinnamon), this is joined by a host of crazily dense notes, myrrh, benzoin, oppoponax, tuberose, jasmine, rose. So many things going on but it is absolutely addictive! I can see why this one was a best seller for so long...

I think that this was almost like Tom Ford Black Orchid before such a thing ever existed. I think the structure of that particular fragrance owes a lot to this one. Except I think I like this one better. I love the way the fruits and honey are joined by the resins and soft florals, a juicy, addictive mix that almost feels like being drunk. It's a wonderful experience.

To me it reminds me of everything that is dark, seductive, gothic and opulent. I think of velvet cloaks and masked balls. I think of intrigue, seduction, betrayal, and lust. All of those things are captured in this incredible smell.

Of course I do recognise that perhaps not everyone out there will like it. It is dense and it is so full of flavour and "shock" for the nose that it can be hard to take in. But you know something? I keep wanting to smell it. I think this comes mainly because of it's originality, due to the fact that it is so unusual. You will be noticed when you wear this one.

Yes I do like it, very much. I have no problem wearing it as I think it is pretty much unisex by today's standards. I have never experienced the vintage version, but I am told it was stronger than this. If so, that must have been quite an experience! I would recommend this one for lovers of heavy, unique fragrances, and something gothic and classic and elegant. It is bold, so you need to be ok with that to wear it, but it really is something else.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

My treasure
I am not an English speaker, but for my beloved poison I will do an effort. This is for me the empress among the perfumes, I know many don't like it. And I also know many say it smells awful on their skin, but for me this is the fragrance that gives me so many compliments, I have to say I stick to the vintage and whenever I find them (I hunt for my treasure) I buy it. I have a stash of this fragrance that will last my life, and still when I see a vintage I buy it. How often that strangers have asked me what's that wonderful smell that I am wearing, and very often they are surprised when I say it is the original Poison, on my skin it smells Divine. And how much others might hate it, some hate already the name alone , I couldn't care less, because on my skin everybody loves it. Thank you Dior for having created such a masterpiece , again I restrict myself to the vintage, I have tried the reformulation, it is also very good but not as divine as the vintage....

DorothyGrace 13 months ago
I recall who/where I first smelt Poison - so memorable. Rich, fruity plum, a discord of anise. It's had its heart reformulated out of it.+1
Alex1984 2 years ago
Quintessentialy 80's; dark, goth, plummy tuberose, dressed in lamé, incense burning in the corner, smoking menthol cigarettes. Total diva/o.+6

by Ginger
by Isabelle1
by Pepper81
by Pepper81

Popular Dior / Christian Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior / Christian Dior Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior Hypnotic Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior Dior Homme (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior J'adore (Eau de Parfum) by Dior / Christian Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior / Christian Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior / Christian Dior Dior Homme Cologne (2013) by Dior / Christian Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior / Christian Dior Poison (Esprit de Parfum) by Dior / Christian Dior Dune (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior / Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior / Christian Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior / Christian Dior Pure Poison by Dior / Christian Dior Midnight Poison (Eau de Parfum) by Dior / Christian Dior Dior Homme Sport (2012) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior Miss Dior Chérie (2005) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior / Christian Dior