Poison 1985Eau de Toilette

Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior
Bottle Design Véronique Monod
Top 21 in Women's Perfume
Poison (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dior for women and was released in 1985. The scent is oriental-floral. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesAniseed, Coriander, Orange honey, Plum, Pimento, Rosewood, Wild berries
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Jasmine, Neroli, Opoponax, Rose, Tuberose, Frankincense, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Heliotrope, Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by Sniffer, last update on 11.04.2021.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Poison (Esprit de Parfum) by Dior, which differs in concentration.

2020Antiope
Attempt at an explanation for a much-loved and much-hated person
Not much more needs to be said about Poison - the original Poison, the first version in the 1980s - even back then people loved or hated it!
The extravagant opulence, which was sprayed even more extravagantly, made the flock of his followers grow enthusiastically as the flock of his opponents formed; whereby I am quite convinced that here again everything is due to the dosage.

As a lover of heavy (oriental) fragrances, I naturally had to have Poison as soon as it was released; the fragrance has been in my possession ever since in the form of the beautiful green-black atomizer, which is an eye-catcher for any console.
In my enthusiasm, I also sprayed Poison over me in a space-consuming way, as it is done carefree with Eaux de Toilette. Usually you don't have to worry about it, because the slight concentration vanishes relatively fast......

And Poison? No way!
In the office at that time there was almost a rebellion of colleagues with very violent verbal attacks, angry snarling and much would not have been missing, that a "delegation" had formed in order to obtain a warning for the colleague in the knowledge that the boss was a matter-of-fact head, who appreciated a good eau de toilette, but did not think at all of oriental or other heavy scents in the office. No matter whether it was a woman or a man. Since I had a similar experience in the office with Tuxedo by Lauren some time ago, I wisely stayed away from my beloved heavy favorites; during the day.
Fortunately, all the indignation soon subsided, because the boss, in a brief and appeasing statement, decided that the windows should remain open for a longer period of time and that the colleague should go to the bathroom to eliminate the "inappropriate" smell with soap and water. But she was so shocked by the collective attack that she asked for a day's vacation and flew out of our offices. The collegial relationship with her colleagues did not remain permanently clouded, but years later she once told me that this experience had made her acutely aware that people should not be judged by their smiles and friendliness, but by the faces and behaviour they showed when familiar situations changed.... Thus Poison even contributed to a wisdom of life!

Even today I still shake my head, but also smile when I recall this experience; which inevitably happens when I dreamily sniff my poison with my eyes closed. It was also a lesson for me, as it were, because as far as the world of fragrances is concerned, I met quite a few people in the years and decades to come who were completely at odds with scents, whether gentle or wild, fresh or spicy, feminine or masculine, and even rejected them with a vehemence that can certainly be compared with the total abstainers in terms of any alcoholic enjoyment.
A form of tolerance and consideration also includes not unnecessarily provoking these gentlemen - if they (have to) stay in the immediate vicinity.

I have made the experience with Poison after several "wrong doses", that ONE spot on the wrists, OR behind the ear, OR between the breasts OR in the hollow of the knee is enough to be pleasantly wrapped up with the warm, soft, beguiling flatterer and to be flirted with charm!
As far as the reformulation(s) are concerned, unfortunately I cannot comment on this; I only know and love the "old" Poison. Perhaps I will come across the new one again?
Blaustern
A poison... mysterious and magical
From the mid-1980s onwards, no path, no nose led past Poison. The powerful 'Wummser', which were common at that time, were underlined with a corresponding unleashed dosage. Almost everyone smelled of Poison, everywhere and on every occasion. The smell could have vanished - unimaginable! Before you saw a person, you could smell them for miles!
I can still remember the first fragrance experience with Poison. It's funny what you remember. The first sprayer of Poison knocked me out. People sprayed generously in perfumeries and stalls. I read a blog today about fragrances and colours, and Poison is not only purple-green for me because of the bottle. Beware, sweet poison! Heavy, mysterious, sultry, dominant.

The dose makes the poison, but in the "poison time" of that time this knowledge was not very common. That spoiled the smell for me quite a bit. For a long time I avoided Poison, which is not so easy when the whole city smells of it...
I have taken note of all the Poison sisters, but I have not appreciated a deeper look. Until I smelled Midnight Poison for the first time a few years ago and was immediately fascinated... ...and still resent the fact that I don't have a bottle. Soon after that, I got Hypnotic Poison and Pure Poison under my nose. Hey, these are really good!

But then a thought never left my mind. I hadn't smelled Poison for a long time... it has certainly been reformulated - how does Poison smell now? This question was like a little virus in my head and could not be driven away. In the beginning only timidly, but in the course of time the question became louder and louder and more urgent.

To cut a long story short, Poison moved in with me. Today's Poison of course has nothing in common with the thunder and the power of the version of that time. But it's still scented fireworks. Poison has remained a cinnamon-spicy Oriental, it smells to me like plums, rum and red wine, flowery like tuberose and honey-sweet at the same time.

Also today Poison should be worn better well dosed and finely tuned, but then he is quite wonderful

A deadend mind.
So, Poison by Christian Dior -Then & Now!
Jesus...what is this?
What have they done to Poison CD??
Nothing but nothing is like what it was.
You can thumb down my review but be sure that you want to do it because I'm saying my truest opinion.
This was my cousin's perfume back in the 80's, I remember how she was smelling and how RICH and BOLD this perfume was.
It was so good!
A year ago she showed me the magical bottle and I smelled it and I went back to my childhood memories.
About an hour ago I went to a perfume shop and I tested some fumes.
I was looking at Poison and I said "let's give it a try".
How disappointed I felt...I put it down and said WHY?
My SA was looking at me.I was very serious and very sad.
I told her "have you got another tester"?
She said, "you are lucky, I have one in a drawer but it may not smell good".
I sprayed this time again to see what is happening with the famous Poison.
Same thing.
Light, watered down like hell and you only smell that "real Poison" aura if you wash your hands.
Not unique, not anything just another destroyed perfume.
You must have smelt the vintage one to know how this bomb beauty was.
So, sorry...:((
Primel
The smell that came from the depths
For a long time it was difficult for me to face Poison with an open mind. In the 1980s, in the largest department store in the city, every customer was generously sprayed at the Dior counter, so that over time a heavy, sweet cloud wafted along the street. You could smell the scent for miles! Unfortunately, fresh fish was offered for sale in the immediate vicinity, which considerably impaired the enjoyment of the scent. After a while I couldn't distinguish "Poison" and "Poisson" anymore :-( I like perfumes with depth, they shouldn't smell like fish :-)

For a long time, I stayed well clear of Poison.

Some time ago I took heart and timidly sprayed a tiny spot on my arm.....

The smell was fabulously good! Ripe plums in orange blossom honey, simply fantastic! However, I am pretty sure that the scent was reformulated, in this case more than successful :-)

Sternanis
The lady is sensitive to the weather.
Otherwise I cannot explain to myself that Poison, a fragrance I have been using for years, always gets bitchy and doesn't want to smell the way I know it.
But it is not like Dune, where, when it is cold, the scratchy top notes annoy too long. More like... do you know these sculptures, which only form a picture when you stand in the right place?
There I want to apply a decent flowery spice explosion at 0°C and rain and get: a lax, musty chewing gum.
On the other hand, I sometimes open the cupboard in summer and this velvety, dark red rose-tuberose-carnation chord jumps at me when I find it just inappropriate.

Earlier (no, not in the 80s, I didn't exist then) this was one of my signature scents, and all deviations were blamed on ENT problems. I never had a person to the scent in my head, let alone a plague of it, and I was the only one far and wide who carried poison. Completely natural, at the age of 18, between Kenzo Flower, J.Lo Glow and Alien.

In the meantime I have become more familiar with the individual fragrance components and have also gained more experience. I emptied 3 bottles from the EdT and one from the Esprit d'Parfum. By chance I also got a Dupe, and I tried more to dissect the scent or scents.
I usually don't smell as much plum in it as many others here, but I smell grapes and blueberries. Except when it is too warm, then a really mushy plum comes through, which again I do not like at all.
The rose note always fluctuates between fresh and juicy, and dried rose petals in the potpourri.
Autumn is a good compromise, and that's where the fragrance suits me best.
In real winter (dry, frost), even in heated rooms, the Christmas spices also fit well. Only when it is wet, it must not be too cold at the same time.

The scent lasts for a long time, you have to count on more than 20 hours. The quiet reverberation with bourbon vanilla even lasts for weeks in clothing, so be careful when spraying jackets. I have already fetched winter clothes from the attic, which after a year still smelled slightly of Poison.
Bergerbelge
Soapy fruit cake decorated with flowers!
Sooo smells this "all-time favorite" sweetheart to me.
A juicy spicy fruit cake, freshly washed, soapy-scented tablecloths on the table, flowers with some musty water in the vase...
A little old granny frilly blouses, old silver cutlery, cups with gold rim. Hach.
Soooooo Beautiful! I have liked this fragrance for 20 years over and over again!
Matters of the heart...
While the 80s and 90s were still full of confidence, courage and new beginnings for me, today seems to me like a creeping demolition enterprise, both in terms of basic human and moral values, as well as economic and political issues. Somehow, people are just fooling around and you can't get on with the job. Unfortunately, also in terms of scent, not really anymore
I have noticed that I am becoming more and more fatigued by the increasingly unbearable excess of politically correct, adapted and exchangeable water. There are indeed exceptions that reach my heart, but there are not so many.
Poison embodies the absolute opposite of everything. Even as an eau de toilette, the fragrance is so powerful and elemental that your knees are literally shaking.
In the 80s it was loud, brightly colored and olfactorically incredibly violent and also quite carefree.
They designed scents that still had ass in their pants and a real bust in German. And I mean real natural bust, nothing artificially inflated. They didn't think about "Hach, just no sprayer too much... hach, that could bother my environment. No, there are forbidden substances in there. The flies fall from the wall and the plaster mixed according to the latest EU guidelines."
Poison is after the so incredibly changed feeling in the today's time wonderfully politically incorrect, he does not shut up and is already half an hour before you there.
The radiation reaches from Flensburg to Lake Constance and a shelf life of at least 15 hours also speaks for itself.

As far as fragrances are concerned, it is practically impossible to unravel everything one by one. You used everything and more. Poison is a wall, dense, solid and extremely beautifully designed The tuberose screams the loudest, followed by jasmine, which leaves the other floral notes little chance to unfold. But why should they, doesn't matter...
It is strongly spiced, it smokes a little and is woody on top of that. So tightly woven that not even a pin fits in between In my opinion, Poison is an absolute masterpiece, which even 34 years after its appearance still has an absolute right to exist.

Surely the fragrance suddenly became famous and well-known, surely it was mercilessly abused by the wrong people, contaminated whole city centres until well into the 90s and was thus completely spoiled for many fragrance lovers. And many still say to themselves "You can hunt me with Poison", because every city, every café, every theatre and every bar smelled of Poison.
There is nothing here with Heititei and Kuschiwuschi, with Poison they don't beat about the bush but make a clear announcement. One sprayer too many and even a concert hall can be poisoned and the audience coughs nervously or takes flight hectically.

But in the last few years it has become quiet, the Poison family has grown a lot, but the growth is much quieter and more demure and some offspring are already history.
They are all more or less beautiful, although I don't know the brand new ones, the girls, yet. But I think they can't hold a candle to the great almighty mother Now I own for nostalgic reasons, because I love this fragrance insanely and I have always encountered it on the "right" wearers, even a good friend of mine it looked great on me, two versions of Poison EdT. An unrepeated version in an oval bottle and one from 2015 in an apple-shaped bottle. There are differences, not big ones, but they are noticeable. The durability, projection and density are a little slimmer in the newer version. But the fragrance is still good. Damn good. Even though he suffered a little.

Unfortunately, they try with all their might to press us consumers in many ways into a certain, let's call it general form, olfactory and social. For a long time now I have noticed it and I don't like it. Many others surely don't like it either, but everyone should decide for him/herself to what extent he/she wants to take part in it.
Personally, the increasingly paranoid regulations are getting on my nerves more and more and I think I will limit my attention even more to vintage fragrances in the future.
The uncastrated. More and more the fun of scents is taken away from us, but for scents like Poison and other carefree loud representatives of this genus a big portion of fun, humor and self-confidence is needed. But that's not what I lack.

Poison remains a fragrance that even today has much more to tell than many of these faceless and contourless fashion waters of today. And even in a concentration of EdT it has more penetrating power than some of today's EdP.

Yes, the commentary has become long. If you don't like it, you are welcome to overlook it and look at others, there are enough here. There are things and matters of the heart that need to be said. And such an exceptional fragrance with such a high recognition value deserves nothing else but the full score.
first pointed - then tangy - then funny
At the beginning of this Poison I thought at first, the Christmas Grinch would have worshipped him, because his aniseed opening is a bit pointed - but then turns through the berries into fruity lively and cultivates a cheeky funny attitude at the start.

A rogue who thinks evil, because the wink of the eye suits the scent well.

But he finds his way back to a modest composure by making himself comfortable in a soft plum.
Also the rosewood has style, entwined by velvety dark red Baccara roses.

This Poison just wanted to mix up in the entrance - and show that Poison actually has genes in him.

I like that it doesn't want to deny its original origin.

It threatens only times briefly with the finger - gives itself then however powdery softly and beautifully calmly.

Jasmine and tuberose look elegant to beguiling - and from the almost rebellious start there is nothing more to feel.

Soft vanilla and sweet cinnamon go hand in hand - and sandal nestles confidently.

Foggy incense covers this poison - makes it a little opaque - but I would have liked to know what it still had to say.

Purple poisoned apple
Sultry, dangerous, poisonous, sensual..it all falls short to describe Poison, the monstre that came from the house of Christian Dior in 1985, causing commotion and disbelief among innocent passerby’s. An innocent apple shaped bottle holding a dangerous elixir. How could this be? But, there it was, unaware to everyone; the hit of the decade, what everyone would try and imitate.

Poison edt, review based on bottles from 1985 to 1992.

Poison, above all the extremes, the sensuality, the bite, was about fun. Yes, it was deep and narcotic, carnal, mysterious...but it never took itself too seriously. At least the edt. Powerful like a bulldozer it could be smelt from around the block. 1980’s carpets still have traces of it, and elevators permeated with Poison still have a purple hue in their mirrors, a smoke tendril of the fun that was ahead. You can still hear the laughter of the lucky wearers. And the lament of those who hated it.
Stewed plums, red and blue and black berries, hint of coriander, lots of honey and you get a hell of an opening. Just like a fruity cocktail; too sweet to know it gets to your head. The flowers on the other hand, oh, the flowers are all past their prime, dripping in carnality. Tuberose, jasmine, orange blossom, damascones galore with their wine-y tonality between rose and violets. Concentrated to the extreme, the best absolutes to accompany this crazy party, that had the warm company of cinnamon, opoponax, amber, vanilla, sandalwood, plus a castoreum bodyguard to keep things on the wild side named Hulk. Poison was a night out made perfume. So addicting that it lingered on skin until the next day, when you sprayed some more just so you could take the day ahead.
Poison was worn by everyone and everywhere, and it’s the main reason it was banned from restaurants and repulsed by many. On top, it was worn with abandon! Too much of a good thing ain’t so good it seems. Unfortunately, I missed those days by some years, and even though my bottles smell perfect, the settings around me are not quite the same. One has to cope with what one has!

For better or for worse, Poison, this little masterpiece from 1985 hasn’t fared well. The internet is still full of bottles mass produced for eternity, and you’re better of buying one of those than what is currently being sold under the name; if you want to experience true Poison, you need the real deal, not the impostor.

After all, who doesn’t look good in purple hued elevator mirrors? And if you close your eyes, you can still smell it!
What a bitch!
The first thing to notice is an intense deep sweetish fruity note, pleasantly ripe and dark, thanks to the plum,

At the same time, the plum is accompanied by another sweet, fruity note, which in my opinion is responsible for the plum's heavy, but refreshingly heavy appearance and the orange's origin, as well as the slightly light, spicy honey, which appears like a wafting veil on the skin and fits the composition surprisingly well
These two notes are surrounded by a strong floral, slightly woody note, which gives the top note a thick, even massive volume and stems from the rosewood
And yet there is still a pithy sweet fruit perceptible, which pleasantly enhances the dark aura and I suspect blackberries here.

In the background you can perceive a fine, deep-sounding spice, which brings something very discreetly peppery and tangy with it and gives the top note a beautiful substance and I can't say here exactly from which note this characteristic originates, but I want to affirm the interplay of anise, coriander and pimento, but I couldn't smell it explicitly.

This constellation is visible on my skin for 25 minutes before the heart note unfolds.

Well and then the smell really blows my record away - Wat für ne' Wucht! :-)

An intense, engaging, enclosing and lulling fleshy, palpable sweet, creamy floral note is now perceptible, which really leaves me speechless and I have recognized this note directly, because I always react extremely to this note and I mean that absolutely positive - namely tuberose and I am always amazed that such a fragrance can be filtered out of the relatively small flowers - and for me is nothing but pure and mature femininity.

"For one, this will be THE overkill, but ick find' didd just terrific!"

At the same time the tuberose is accompanied by a light, sweet floral and lively floral note, which is responsible for the fact that the scent of tuberose is increased immeasurably and is due to the jasmine and neroli.

These 3 notes are accompanied by a beautiful deep sweet spicy note that beautifully emphasizes the palpability of the fragrance and comes from cinnamon.

In the background there is another spice, which brings something peppery with it and gives the heart a wonderful accent and comes from the carnation.

Opoponax, Rose and Frankincense I could unfortunately not perceive, but I can imagine very well that these components were used for completion.

The heart note is perceptible on my skin for 6 hours before the base asserts itself.

The base becomes very pleasantly cuddly, warming and very lulling and is thanks to the amber.

The amber is accompanied by a very fine sweet and creamy note which is responsible for the cuddly component getting a caress and comes from the Bourbon - Vanilla.

These two notes are surrounded by a strong sweet cherry-like note, which also brings an intense powdery almond aura and gives the fragrance some gourmand notes, but the base is not to be classified as gourmandig because I think heliotrope was used to give the fragrance a tangible volume
In the background, the base is completed by a very soft wooden nuance, which adds something smooth to the finish of the fragrance and comes from the cedar.

Also there is a very discreet earthy, quite slightly sweet nuance to be noticed, which provides for a nice deep finish and I have actually typed on patchouli instead of vetiver.

Musk and sandalwood were unfortunately not visible to me, but I can imagine very well that they were used for complementation.

In total the fragrance lasts 15 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is designed in the first 3 hours in such a way that one is perceived very clearly to the 2.5 meters and then oscillates 2 hours on a very clearly perceptible whole arm length, before it minimizes itself to the end of the smell in quiet steps
I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "Cocinera" for the vintage bottling.

DorothyGraceDorothyGrace 2 years ago
I recall who/where I first smelt Poison - so memorable. Rich, fruity plum, a discord of anise. It's had its heart reformulated out of it.
Alex1984Alex1984 4 years ago
Quintessentialy 80's; dark, goth, plummy tuberose, dressed in lamé, incense burning in the corner, smoking menthol cigarettes. Total diva/o.

by Ginger
by pudelbonzo
by Gak1992
by Gak1992

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Parfum) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior