Sauvage (2015) Eau de Toilette

Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior / Christian Dior
Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) (Dior / Christian Dior)

Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Dior / Christian Dior for men and was released in 2015. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Ambrox, Elemi resin, Calabrian bergamot, Patchouli, Provençal lavender, Pink pepper, Geranium, Sichuan pepper, Vetiver

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 13.11.2018

The face of the advertising campaign is actor Johnny Depp.

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
Spaghetti scent
Although almost all women love it, I find it only solid, it has a fruitiness for my sensation that doesn't match the tart note and therefore looks a bit musty, like Shisha smoke. Probably it smells better for others because of the distance than for the wearer. In its components good, lasts long, 8 hours easy, is very well perceptible, but in itself not 100% harmonious. It can somehow not decide whether it wants to be boy or man, player, macho or gentleman, what in a time of contradictory demands on the modern man probably constitutes his universal compatibility.
Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 6.5/10
Less helpful Review
Solid marketing food
I just don't understand the hysteria. Turnover technically everything correctly and ingeniously made. I'd never buy it. Such a fragrance can cost at 100 ml maximum 49.95 more but also not more. Sorry fans but this fragrance could also be classified among the Ferrari fragrances
Bottle 4.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 6.5/10
Night duty at the hospital
24 hours better said, but I only wear Dior at night. There is not much to say about my job except: exhausting (like Sauvage). All those who perceive him may like him but he cannot convince anybody. Neither do I. I ordered Sauvage along with DHI when he came out. Three years later, I come to the same conclusion: If I had read the composition without knowing what fragrance it was, I would have directly bet on Fahrenheit because it has the same spicy note. But Fahrenheit could never score with a fresh side and was therefore a somewhat difficult scent for hard times.
Sauvage doesn't try to focus on it in the first place, but just wants to get everyone's attention. And what's the difference now? He has the looks and/or noses of his environment on itself directed however more he also does not create.

I think that Dior wanted to praise himself again how well they can hit the mainstream nerve.
It is portable and not bad yet only average.
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
Clean Steel Thunderstorm
In the morning, as I walk through the forest, dozens of cyclists pass me by. They're men on their way to work cursing me just because I'm there. And very often the world behind them smells of that very fragrance, Dior Sauvage. The chemical compounds they disperse in the air communicate with me so metallically and with this unconditional will to win that I am always distracted for a few seconds. It is a fragrance component like a steel thunderstorm. Molecules in attack mode.

Dior Sauvage starts fresh and spicy and somehow iridescent. Next to its lavender pepper it is as strangely roughened as a brushed aluminium plate. And from the very first moment it seems as if an imperceptible electronic tension were lying above the aromatic cleanliness. From the beginning one wonders: What is it? What's going on?

It is something third that captivates you, a repeated irritation, a clamp movement. And actually, the answer is completely banal: The makers have put together the pick-up artists of the world of fragrance with the greatest sophistication and built an aromatic fougere framework around them. It is a smiling pusher column with the fluorescent fresh molecule Di-Hydromircenol, the pulsating pheromone imitate Iso E Super, the activating hedions, the space-consuming galaxolides and the subliminal terrorist Ambroxan. The principle of Shock and Awe applies without you realizing it.

I have great respect for craftsmanship. But I have even greater respect for great successes, for the hits, when someone succeeds in distilling a fragrance from collective desires.

And so Dior Sauvage speaks directly to us about our time. The fragrance is for people who have become the rapid reaction force of their own lives. They oscillate between attack and defense and of course also have to do with some pincer movement in their private lives. So basically for all of us. We can admit that life has become a lot and always demands a bit more strength and presence from us than before. And Dior Sauvage is nothing less than a freshly showered gesture of dominance for the fragile fronts of everyday life. Everything is calculated cool.

It's exactly the fragrance we deserve. A perfume that functions like an elegant neurotransmitter fits very well in a time when we haven't changed things for a long time, but are optimizing our endurance functions. But even if it displaces space, the contact that could arise is only simulation. It's a pleasing chemical booby trap. And a lot of people step on it, but there's not much left.

Was that a scam? No, of course not. I loved wearing Dior Sauvage from time to time. But somehow I was always a little exhausted.

Wars are exhausting.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
I will always love this.
This was the first real fragrance that I tried that wasn't something like Old Spice, I will always love this stuff!

Yes this fragrance very popular and easily recognisable making is unable to stand out in the crowd, but this scent is just so fresh, simple and somehow still masculine. The Ambroxan gives it a slight synthetic smell but it is not unpleasant.

This fragrance is great for any season and appropriate for almost all occasions making it one of the most versatile fragrances available.
Bottle 9.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
A successful marketing hit!
A successful marketing hit! Has a beautiful bottle. It is very easily recognizable and because of its popularity not very unique. I’m wearing this fragrance for about three years and it smells really good. I get many compliments especially from the opposite sex. Sauvage is a fresh, clean fragrance appropriate for almost all occasions. Projection and longevity is great.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Let’s blame the pirate!
Love, hate, love, hate.... a lot has been said about this one. No matter what I think or what YOU think, the crowd loves it. That’s just the way it is.
The downside is that it’s exactly everywhere. Damn you Johnny Pirate, its all your fault!
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
Dior Sauvage EDT ... not really wild!
I must warn you that I am not a big fan of Sauvage EDT. If you can't stand objective criticism it's better that you skip my review. I also remark for the non french speakers that "SAUVAGE" in french translates as "WILD".

TOP NOTES
Too peppery for my taste. It does disturb the necessary harmony between notes. I really believe that many people gave more points to bergamot in the opening notes because they wished it to be there. After all it is somewhat difficult to confront the house of Dior with a comment like "Does not smell great!". You feel tempted to have another thought like "Well, it must be my nose and not the Dior fragrance..."
I already tried a decant of the EDP and I recognise that the pepper is not as dominant as in the EDT. The EDP is more creamier and more agreable.
MIDDLE NOTES
Again too peppery. The perfume remains unbalanced. The notes arrangement remain not overly pleasant and the resulting scent is somewhat common.
This is not really the behaviour of a top market fresh aromatic or fougére cologne. It looks more like a "peppery spicy common cologne" that you may buy everywhere for an inexpensive price.
I remark again that the EDP is way more balanced and creamier,
FINAL NOTES
Suddenly all conflicting notes are washed away and we get a somewhat better dry down - pleasant but not outstanding - composed by a dominant ambroxan, a faint cedar and a almost non detectable labdanum. Basically you smell a quality ambroxan note for a couple of hours or a bit more.
MY COMMENTS
The fragrance isn't bad. it's even quite agreable. But it is highly overrated and many people are disappointed with this fragrance. Expectations are kept very high by the price, the brand name, by some famous YouTube reviewers, and by some previous Sauvage owners that don't like to admit their deception. For less than half the price I can buy Cartier's Declaration d'Une Soir Intense (n) and get a more alluring "expensive" scent.
If you try the flanker Sauvage Very Cool Spray, you may notice the same notes but with a different balance between them.... a lot less pepper (both the 2 different peppers) does make a big difference. It seems that Sauvage should be the flanker and not the opposite. I still did not fully test the EDP version, so I cannot compare details with the EDT. My main cologne sniffer - my wife - also thinks this fragrance to be pretty common and overrated.
If you consider a Sauvage inexpensive good clone, like Armaf Ventana pour Homme or Zara Aromatic Future or Capucci Homme Sauvage, and you face a simpler fragrance with less quality notes, more synthetic, smaller longevity and sillage, but a lot fresher and agreeable. If you respray a couple of times you end up with a similar sillage/longevity for 10%~20% of the price.
If you consider a more expensive Sauvage clone like Luna Rossa Carbon from Prada, the result is the same but you end up saving less.

My overall rating: 7.75/10.0
My advice: Try the EDP

(n) note: Cartier's Declaration d'Une Soir Intense it's not similar to Sauvage but aims the same target market.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 6.0/10
K1
Spicy - fresh aromatic - woody amber
Awkwardly I get more compliments with Sauvage than any of my most niches! People love it while I don’t find it such exquisite. It's fresh powdery with foggy spicy warmth within and soft woodsy base, resembling to many others mainstream fragrances but not similar to anyone!

Sauvage is a purpose, versatile, winter-to-summer, day or night, casual-to-formal fragrance with good longevity and sillage. What a peaceful and handy perfume!
3/5
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Versatile/Underrated gem
Despite the many negative reviews, i find Dior Sauvage is really really good scent, i use it on a daily basis i guess, my colleagues at work love it, and it gets me compliments, it's very versatile scent, it easily lasts 8 hours on my skin, it's not overpowering scent yet people will detect its presence, i don't care if it's synthetic or whatsoever, it's all about if you find it good, then buy it, don't follow the hype whether it's good or bad, because at the end of the day it's a matter of taste.
Easy to underrate!
My expectations for Sauvage weren’t extremely low, but neither that high for sure. I was convinced it was probably better than the undeserved skepticism it seems getting here and there from fragrance snobs, but nothing groundbreaking for sure. Now that I’ve finally snatched a sample, I must say it quite reflects the idea I had about it – and actually, it is slightly better than I expected. First of all, in broad terms, it is probably right to consider this the first “Dior’s Bleu de Chanel” (or name another fragrance like that), as the league is more or less the same; but contrary to Bleu de Chanel (and most of similar scents), besides showing a clearly better quality, Sauvage avoids any boring, pretentious, preppy middle-class mannerism and adds a subtle touch of pungent vibrancy, of “rawness” as the name suggests. It is in fact a compelling contemporary take on a classic green fougère theme, opening with a bracing, peppery, crisp green-bergamot accord with a peculiar sort of “cedrat” heart, something bitter and earthy that provides a really nice sort of musky-sour shade to the crisp, fresh leafiness of the main accord. And then there’s a subtle, yet deep base of synthetic ambergris enhanced by some generic woods – “generic” means here nothing smelling overly cheap, but surely not the greatest woody notes around.

So imagine a quite classic and apparently mannered green masculine scent centered on pepper, citrus notes and dry ambery woods with some mossy patchouli lingering below, and give it a modern shape with an exotic, and slightly sombre touch halfway “organic” and “futuristic” (thanks to the cleverly-fitting warm and “grey” note of ambroxan). I must note that Sauvage feels quite much dry throughout its evolution, which I guess may be taken as a “masculine” added value, and also shows a pleasantly nondescript sort of dark, bitter-fizzy feel with a Mediterranean vibe, which reminds me of the balmy smell of air on a cloudy day in some woodland by the sea. Quite some interesting contrasts, overall: dryness, bitterness, warmth. So, again: an office-safe scent for sure, but in no way cheap or uncreative. Nothing exciting, but nothing bad to say the least. It just offers the right tiny amount of creativity within a “pop”, crowdpleasing frame. I think Demachy did quite a nice job in creating a deceptively generic fragrance with some sparkles of dark rawness. And I also appreciate the fact Sauvage smells really simple overall, almost minimalistic composition-wise, and with no overly cheap nuances. Simply put, it smells nice and it isn’t boring at all. As hours pass the ambroxan-woody-patchouli base takes the main stage, making Sauvage smell darker, warmer, dustier, more (again, “generically” ) classy and less bitter, with also some (good!) vetiver popping out. Still quite dry but at the same time quite comforting and sophisticated.

To cut it short, I think this is a good fragrance, quite more peculiar than it may seem at a first rushed test, and I think it is fully justified for Dior to have something like this among their range. Not everything has to be creative, or flashy, or (more or less faithfully) luxury or make some “statement”. Sauvage is a quality, discreet everyday scent with a seducing dark-organic twist and a nice evolution, smooth enough to appeal classic wearers but quality enough to be worthy a sniff for everybody else, including niche-heads. And it would surely be a mistake to dismiss this too early labelling it mediocre or cheap, since it isn’t either of the two. I probably wouldn’t buy this, but I’m glad Dior introduced it.

7-7,5/10
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 3.0/10
Not Dior...
Very synthetic. An mainstream fragrance, similar to "AXE" products or other type of deodorant like "FA" (Henkel). There are some similarities to one of the flankers "Cool Water".
This is not Dior. A huge dislike.
(Please, do not compare this with the fantastic Bleu de Chanel).
Clockwork Orange
Powdered orange juice concentrate, neutral synthetic plasticy filler, an intense metallic tang, fugitive red peppery note, sweetness, powder, a woody amber undertone and a black plastic 'bergamot' resin that smells more like it came from a hydrocarbon cracking plant than Calabria.

Sauvage follows in the vein of Boss In Motion and 1 Million with a distinctly uninspired coarse and lumpen orange profile. The metal note becomes so overblown that it is really unpleasant, and there isn't a heart accord to provide any relief, it goes in a straight line from metallic orange to woody amber and sticks around longer than an African dictator.

While I was testing it, a friend asked me to never wear it in her company again. Appropriately, as well as wild and savage, the French word sauvage also means unsociable.

I can understand the lack of creativity and artistic judgement, just the sight of the box is enough to set the alarm bells ringing, but what is inexplicable is why LVMH chose to debase the reputation of a great classic by plagiarising its name for this derivative dross.

OPomone 3 years ago
A vision of hell:
Sauvage in autumn
1 Million in winter
Boss Bottled in spring
Allure Homme Sport in summer.
Well, I think I'm going to puke.+12
Scent 1.0
PMRP12 21 months ago
Like a crisp, freshly laundered white buttoned shirt; always appropriate and distinctly masculine.+4
Bottle 10.0
Longevity 10.0
JManDave 2 years ago
Only like Sauvage so-so, it's hardly a favorite. But every single time I wear it, it draws compliments, so I feel compelled to continue.+3
Sillage 9.0
Elysium 2 years ago
Hey, what's wrong with it? A body of dark lavender surrounded by smooth bergamot, a tinge of peppercorn mix, and a soul of bittersweet amber!+2
Bottle 7.0
Sillage 6.0
Scent 8.5
Hermesh 3 years ago
The scent that fights wild and disoriented with spicy, citric, fresh, fruity-floral notes.+2
Bottle 7.5
Sillage 5.0
Longevity 7.5
Scent 6.0
Akunin 7 months ago
Great performance , long lasting , great silage , great all-rounder for every season and every occasion . 10/10+1
Bottle 9.0
Longevity 10.0
IanFriedrich 9 months ago
It's a love/hate fragrance. I dislike it coz it's mass pleasing.
Honestly, I can say that every time I smell Sauvage, I get addicted to it.+1
Sillage 8.0
Scent 6.0
harveynone 16 months ago
Gets unsolicited compliments from Uber drivers. Needs 15 minutes to settle down. Although my nose gets fatigued, people do notice my silage.+1
Sillage 9.0
Vilar 6 days ago
Dior's Sauvage is the Blue Mens Group of male frags.
Scent 1.0
DavidBraz 60 days ago
It has one of the biggest clouds i've ever felt. It's not a masterpiece but it smells good. Like to wear it once in a while. Bergamot+Ambrox
Bottle 6.0
KLewis 76 days ago
Very popular, instantly recognisable, her ex probably had it...
ScentsByKK 79 days ago
Sweet, Creamy, Woody
Scent 8.0
Jazzy76 7 months ago
I recently met a friend and a cloud of perfume involved me. I asked him: "What are you wearing?""Sauvage by Dior". Very good and intense.
Bottle 7.0