Dior Homme (2020)Eau de Toilette

Version from 2020
Dior Homme (2020) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior

Dior Homme (2020) (Eau de Toilette) is a new perfume by Dior for men and was released in 2020. The scent is woody-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pink pepper, Elemi resin
Heart Notes Heart NotesAtlas cedar, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Haitian vetiver

Submitted by Skylab, last update on 09.07.2020.

The face of the advertising campaign is British actor Robert Pattinson.

MrGoodSmell
Dior's Office fragrance under false flag
One thing first. It cannot be denied that the numerous negative reviews of this fragrance make a 100% objective evaluation difficult. I was also biased, because the language that prevails here but also Youtube, was clear!

A few weeks ago, the time had come. Dior Homme 2020 had to withstand my fine nose. But the most important questions first:

"Is he really as big a disaster as everyone says?" No!

"Is it worse than the original signal?"
Yes! Br/>
"Should I buy it?" Yes and no!
The purchase decision depends strongly on the intended use. The original Dior Homme was a great iris scent, which was or still is suitable for casual as well as evening use. Because Dior revives it in a new version as Dior Homme Original. The name of the 2020 Dior Homme version, is unfortunately misleading. Instead of choosing a new independent name, the already established scheme is used. Therefore I can more than understand the displeasure of the hardcore fans. Especially buyers who don't deal with fragrances and just blindly buy "Dior Homme" from their friends are literally led behind the light. Incomprehensible Dior!

Dior 2020 as a fragrance is very linear and generic but still knows how to please in its own way. Through my last perfume order I got a sample of the 2020 version and could test it again extensively. After sniffing again, the only sensible use for the fragrance came to my mind is the "office". As has often been criticized, Dior Homme 2020 has too little expressiveness for other occasions. Here numerous other alternatives should be found in the own series.

Emptied the rest of the sample today, by the way. Reason was a job interview incl. full montage - suit, fine shoes and tie.
I have applied the last two big splashes to the pulse points and what can I say, still smell him on me. From the time I applied it to this point in time when I am writing these lines, over 7 hours have passed! That is mMn. anything but average durability, as you can read so often here. Unfortunately I can't say much about the Sillage, but I would need another filling as I have tested it more or less for myself or in the office. But I would describe it as rather average.

From my point of view there are numerous office scents that are recommendable. Dunhill Icon, BdC EDT, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDP, of which I currently own one or the other.
Dior 2020 takes a similar line, it is fresh, woody and also pleasing. If you already own 1 or even 2 of the above fragrances, Dior Homme 2020 offers no real added value. It is practically no useful addition to your own perfume collection.

But if you don't own one of these fragrances, it's definitely worth a look, or rather a nose. For the use in the office you do little wrong with it and it smells really pleasant and won't cause any nasty surprises.
But if you are looking for a versatile fragrance, you should definitely steer clear of Dior Homme 2020.
Model maintenance
It has nothing to do with the original. Straightforward without much frills. Just: fresh, woody, masculine...

Dior goes with the times, it has to be compatible with the masses - then the cash register is right!

A Mercedes SL from 1957 has also not much to do with the 2020 model. Only the star and the open top have remained...and yet it is an SL and it has its followers. Not everything that is not like it was in the good old days is bad on principle.

If you like oldtimers and can afford it, you will buy the original!

I like the old model, but even this one...
Bibogat
Boring without any inspiration! Completely missing perception and durability!
Unfortunately, DIOR has decided to take the previous DIOR Homme - a hugely successful fragrance - off the market. Otherwise, to give this new release, the completely new fragrance, a completely new name is now consciously accepted to confuse the regular customer!
If I already create something new, then please do so under a completely new name. This one would certainly not have challenged the first DIOR Homme for his position! The result is a rather insignificant and above all hardly noticeable scent. It begins quite fresh and spicy - a peppery bergamot prelude. Unfortunately the scent does not really change and the wearer does not notice the scent at all after 30 minutes. What a mega-weak performance for a house like DIOR! I myself fogged myself with at least 30 sprayers without anyone noticing the scent. In my opinion, any fresh and spicy shower gel is sufficient here
The heavy and high-quality bottle is beautiful! An absolute eye-catcher. But what use is it if the contents are quite meaningless?

I can only recommend everyone to buy the first version! Already now difficult to get, because who will be taken off the market;-( ... a shame!

Unfortunately weak! Grade 4-
Dior Homme? Dior Men!
When the original Dior Homme Eau de Toilette was released in 2005, the Dior house was undergoing one of the biggest changes in its recent history. The creative director at the time was a young, up-and-coming designer named Hedi Slimane, who was to change the fashion world forever at Saint Laurent and now Celine. Slimane had just brought the men's division of Dior, previously known as Dior Monsieur, back into the limelight. Whereas in previous years the company had mainly focused on comparatively outdated (licensed) fashion for middle-aged men, Hedi Slimane has been breathing new life into it since the beginning of the new millennium. He renamed the men's division Dior Homme and under this name he published prêt-à-porter collections that were characterised by revolutionary narrow cuts, monochromatic colour palettes and modern, almost androgynous masculinity. It was also during this period that Dior released its first three exclusive fragrances, which would later - in part - become part of the Maison Christian Dior collection: Cologne Blanche, Eau Noire and Bois d'Argent - at that time still under the name "Dior Homme Colognes".

At about the same time the Dior Homme Eau de Toilette was published. And he too clearly bears the signature of Hedi Slimane's vision: powdery iris, which he still uses in most of his fragrances, and metrosexual, almost androgynous modern masculinity. With these characteristics, the fragrance was then an exotic among men's fragrances, and even today it is still unmistakable and unique, even if the iris is now more popular in men's fragrances than it was then.

15 years later and here we are with the latest reformulation of the classic. This reformulation has thrown over much, not to say almost everything, that has made the fragrance so far: The fragrance's defining notes have been removed, the design of the packaging and bottle has been changed and is much less minimalist than before - all that's left is the name. And many fans of the fragrance ask themselves: Why? I think to understand why, it's worth taking a look at how the house of Dior has changed in recent years. Hedi Slimane turned his back on Dior shortly after the original eau de toilette was released. He took his idea of fashion with him: First to Saint Laurent, then years later to Celine. At Dior, his former assistant, Kris van Assche, took over the sceptre for a few years. And even though the designer has his own interpretation of fashion, he has adopted many of Slimane's basic ideas. And so the fragrance line has changed slightly in his time under the influence of the new in-house perfumer Francois Demachy, but there have been no radical revolutions. The changes at Dior were much greater after van Assche left his post in 2018 and was replaced by Kim Jones. Jones has been turning the entire men's division of Dior upside down ever since: He renamed the brand from Dior Homme to Dior Men, the previously simple fashion is now increasingly influenced by streetwear and the entire image of the brand has been greatly modernized.

So why is all this relevant to this reformulation of Dior Homme? I think the old fragrance, based on Slimane's vision of the brand, simply no longer represented the Dior man in 2020. It's a pity, but the Dior of 2005 is now way behind and the vision of fashion in this house has changed a lot. From this point of view, it makes sense that the defining men's fragrance of the brand (by name alone) should be adapted to represent the brand in the best possible way in the present - and not stand for the vision of a designer who is now working for competing manufacturers.

But what does the new fragrance smell like anyway? In general, it clearly plays in the league of modern woody, spicy and fresh men's fragrances, as we know them from fragrances like Bleu de Chanel, Aventus, Terre d'Hermes or Sauvage. Does the new Dior Homme smell like a copy of these fragrances? Not to me. It picks up on individual elements of the fragrances mentioned, but the composition itself is independent. Independent, but somehow also arbitrary. Personally, I find the fragrance to be mainly modern woodsy with the scent of Iso E Super and amber - in addition to a dry freshness that smells of lemon, but is less of a focal point than Sauvage or Bleu de Chanel. All in all, the fragrance smells like a nice everyday scent for modern men - high quality, without being offensive and good.

But somehow a certain dissatisfaction still remains with me and enthusiasm does not want to break out. Also in the community the smell seems to get away rather moderately. Why is that so? In my opinion one should have been more courageous in redesigning the fragrance. The fragrance should represent the new Dior vision for men? Then do it properly. The fragrance should have had its own design on the packaging and the bottle, a bold fragrance that represents the Dior fashion of 2020, and above all, a new name. The new men's division of Dior is called Dior Men - Dior Homme is history. Why not do the same with the fragrance? That way there's less confusion for the average customer, less frustration for the fans (who can simply leave the old original in its current form until it doesn't sell anymore) and you have a completely contemporary representation of your own brand. In my opinion, Dior has missed this opportunity. Instead, we now have a new fragrance that is good, but has no identity of its own, and at the same time dilutes an existing classic. A pity!
Scent - where are you?
I can't complain, I've been warned several times. But if you won't listen...

I would like to tell you my story with this fragrance, you will find my scent impressions at the bottom
My first contact with the new Homme took place in the Pafumerie. "Here, try this scent, brand new." Okay, I don't smell anything (Warning #1). Well, spray it on anyway. On the way home, it smelled resinous-woody-fresh from time to time, then again nothing (warning no. 2). But it still seemed to me as if I had found my perfect forest scent. A few days later I bought this scent in the above mentioned Pafumerie.
I was pleased to wear it the next day. But I was very disappointed that it evaporated so quickly (warning no. 3).
The following day I had arranged to go for a dog walk with a friend. I joyfully put on this scent again. This time with a few sprayers more, seemed to be a little too little the day before. And because it was a cold day and I had buried myself thickly in a coat, there were also two sprayers on the coat We got the dog, we got the car. When I got to the meeting point, my girlfriend was waiting and stopped me. After I turned the window down, she took a step back. "Phew, you're all fogged in." I have to admit I was a little surprised. I didn't smell... anything. During the walk, she kept pulling her nose: "You couldn't get enough, could you?" A little cloud would come my way from time to time. But mostly there was just ... nothing The next morning I trotted into the bathroom still tired and groped across my hallway. Whoa, what's going on here. A pungent resinous smell had spread here. Hectically I grabbed the coat, which I immediately put in the washing machine. In the bathroom I experienced the same fate. The clothes from yesterday also quickly went into the machine. Detergent in, machine on - breathe deeply.

Well, what can I say. Actually I still like the scent, but I just can't smell it, at least it disappears after 10 seconds and then reappears for a moment. That's why he also wanders into the souk.

The smell:
Beginning: somewhat tingling, resinous, citric (bergamot), fresh (pepper). The cedar gives the fragrance its somewhat pungent resinous character. The tingling, pungent resinous character is certainly supported to a large extent by the iso-E-super, which is supposed to be contained here and can explain that I perceive the fragrance so little. My nose then simply switches off rather quickly.
The vetiver will certainly strengthen the forest association and musk will simply be supportive.
I can't make out a scent gradient. It loses some of its obtrusiveness in the end and the lemon, but the scent remains largely the same. (Statement is of course to be understood against the background that I perceive the scent only now and then)

Very Nice
This somehow reminds me of bleu de chanel. I really like the scent itself but I am very disappointed that this new release caused Dior Homme Original to be a European exclusive option.

Loads of bergmot and a hint of pink pepper.
The Elimi Resin gives it a slight sweetness but it is far from a typical sweet scent.
The patchouli gives it a really expensive smell.

It's quite nice, for the gentleman who does not like big projections in fragrances
...it was time...
after about 20 years, even at Dior, with the iris and the lipstick chord, you won't lure a dog out from behind the stove anymore...everything has its time...
Maybe the name should have been changed, because it has absolutely nothing in common with the "old" Homme All in all a relatively good mainstream fragrance with a useful shelf life (6-7 hours) but still silage that is quite close to the body In view of the prices I would have expected a little bit more from Dior, though.

Conclusion:

Basically a quite mistakable - relatively good - common scent.

Enter the Void
A scent without a story. It doesn't smell bad but it doesn't say anything.
A fragrance should be the beginning of a story or the memory of a souvenir. Wanting to create a fragrance that appeals to everyone, Dior managed to create a pure void.
5.5

King of Emptiness
Scentrack: Electronic - Disappointed

I was really excited for this release from the house of Dior, for around 3.5 minutes. After seeing the note list and realizing that iris expelled, I assumed Dior turned its attention to younger demographics and current trends in perfumery for the Dior Homme label. Personally, I have no problem with that. Companies have to earn money and follow the trend, yet I feel a little bit sad that this creation was released under Dior Homme label. Original Dior Homme was a beautiful aquarelle of iris, cacao and dry fruits. It was a trendsetter that tested masculinity, and blatantly copied by numerous brands. Unfortunately, in my opinion, I have to report that new Dior Homme 2020 is none of that. Dior Homme 2020 is like a compilation of contemporary bestsellers, like the “best of “ fragrance album, made of several creations. From the beginning one could smell the spicy aspect of Bleu de Chanel from the pepper note, and Sauvage-like part of bergamot and ambrox. Of course, there is also a tribute to Terre d’Hermes by strong Iso E Super. In the base I can sense some vetiver in a Guerlain Homme manner. Voila, mish mash is served.
In my opinion, Dior Homme 2020 is far less than the sum of its parts. It is just a bland creation, unrecognizable between dozen other releases. Wearing Dior Homme 2020 nobody will smell bad, just OK, and this should not be sufficient for a brand like Dior. Most probably will be commercially very successful just by the inertia from the Dior name. This Christmas’ ideal present for the person we even do not know. At least, they left “original” Dior Homme in the production. For the time being.
Dior de Chanel
Dior have lost my respect at the moment
Background. I am such a person who, in the starting blocks of his perfumery career, as a blameless fragrance beginner, tested Dior Homme in the shop based on the comments (at that time I wasn't even registered, I think...)
Yuck. That was my reaction. I couldn't have been more wrong.. But since I knew how much the fragrance is praised here, I tested it over and over again, and on the 2nd or 3rd time I could suddenly grasp its beauty, and it became one of my signature fragrances for me
A scent of ladies' handbag, sweet and powdery, smells, but still beautifully masculine, special, but somehow also extremely wearable, so I really emptied a lot of bottles of it. Perhaps more than any other perfume. Probably on a par with La Nuit de L'Homme.
The original scent, which is now listed as "original", has met my taste perfectly, I feel really perfectly dressed with it. Like Batman in his Batsuit
And although I have already read a lot of press about the 2020 version, and knew that a pleasant 0815-woody fresh scent was coming to me, I was still surprised what my nose climbed here, and has not left me since
Bleu de Chanel.

Dior Homme is now almost exactly like Bleu de Chanel.

I would say it's a little less "blue", and in the A/B comparison you will find the Chanel "DNA" in Bleu, which you won't find in Dior.

But I have smelled some Bleu de Chanel clones, and none was as close to the original as Dior's new Homme.

I have to admit, in the opening the association was more in the direction of "Dior Homme Sport" (or something else that I can't nail down...) And on the test paper strip it was also a bit more peculiar, spicier and drier than BdC.
But after a short time, and especially in drydown, it is so clear and close to BdC that there is no doubt for me.
Also on my skin, have a bottle of it and wear this EdT straight on my body.

How am I supposed to judge something like that? It's a great smell, always wearable, never bothers anyone. I even prefer to wear it as Bleu de Chanel, because it looks a bit rounder, less obtrusive.

But this brazen copy work under the guise of the phenomenal "Dior Homme" series really shocks me. Dior, you are hereby depriving yourselves of your identity. Any other, less expressive woody fresh scent would have been better.
The most important thing from my point of view would have been that it reminds you of Dior Homme, but in no case of your biggest competitor,- and on top of that its most broadly effective product that everybody knows!!

What I value most about this product revision is that it allows the old Dior Homme to live on as the "original". But chapeau! Because I will continue to buy this product
I'm going to put on Dior Homme 2020 here and there, and I'll smile at the compliments that this plagiarism swings from the hip! I will enjoy the fact that I can wear BdC DNA more often now, because the Chanel version annoys me a little bit.

But my signature, it won't, and the bottle won't empty so quickly, I guess.

MrSuitytieMrSuitytie 23 days ago
I just received a sample of DHI 2020 and feel very lucky that I didn´t get a whole bottle. Why? Because I already own Bleu de Chanel ...
IanFriedrichIanFriedrich 23 days ago
4.5
The biggest mistake that Dior ever made, reformulated the original Dior Homme formula.
BejanoirBejanoir 76 days ago
This is perfect for it's name, and what a Homme version should smell like. A perfect signature scent. Fresh, clean and masculine.
Nik604Nik604 140 days ago
We all remember the big crying about Sauvage, 5 years ago...now we all now that is great and huge selling, I suspect the same effect here.
DPArtistDPArtist 152 days ago
Not a huge fan of the original but this is an even less interesting iteration. Pleasant but dull. Dior Homme Sport 2008 is their masterpiece
Carlitos01Carlitos01 158 days ago
The former king passed away. Until we have a new king we have to put up with this regent or maybe face a new Dior dinasty. Forgettable....
MeursaultMeursault 158 days ago
3.5
Boring and generic. Fresh bergamote, with vetiver, musk and cashmeran. It has something sweet too, I don't know what it is. Smells cheap.
K84K84 170 days ago
To me it's crime that this kind of scent carries the Dior Homme name. Don't waste your time and money, very very bad scent....
ScentedGentScentedGent 176 days ago
Another basic, boring, fresh fragrance that has nothing in common with its predecessor. For people that want one frag for everything. SAD!

Hase: Haddu Möhrchen? DH 2020: Nein, hab ich nicht! ;) Danke euch für das schöne Feedback!
by Flanker
by Taskphorce
Ich finde diesen Eisblock-Flakon einfach wunderschön!
by Parzival852
by Sirchelios
by Sirchelios
by Gauloises777
by Gauloises777

Popular Dior

Dior Homme Intense (2011) by Dior Dior Homme Original (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Dior Homme Parfum by Dior Ambre Nuit by Dior Poison (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017) by Dior Eau Sauvage (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) by Dior Fève Délicieuse by Dior Dior Addict (2002) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Dior Addict (2014) (Eau de Parfum) by Dior Bois d'Argent by Dior Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale) by Dior Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Dior J'adore L'Or (2017) by Dior Dior Homme Intense (2007) by Dior Dior Homme (2005) by Dior Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior Hypnotic Poison Elixir by Dior Miss Dior (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Dior