34 Boulevard Saint Germain (2011) Eau de Toilette

34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque

34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital.

Top Notes Top NotesBlackcurrant, Leaf green, Pink pepper, Citric notes, Clove, Cinnamon, Cardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesRose, Geranium, Tuberose, Iris, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Balsamic notes, Resins, Eucalyptus

Submitted by Louce, last update on 15.10.2019

Early summer
I love this fragrance - it awakens in me the feeling of gentleness - lovely - it feels like mild spring - early summer - autumn. Comforting it is somehow, gently enveloping in tender affection...
However, I slowly doubt my nose - I only smell rose in the first approach perhaps also some black currant. Later then only the citric notes ... i'm frustrated, why don't I smell all that other stuff? Where is the pink pepper - the cinnamon - the cardamom, where are the woods and resins or even the eucalyptus? Or the Basam notes? Is there something wrong with my olfactory system? Please tell me I'm not the only one who doesn't smell all this!!
Anyway, I don't see this scent on a man - much too delicate I'd say.
And bdw - I love this site with all the wonderful comments of apparently very gifted "smells" - can you train that? :-)
GLG, Rosanna
7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Jakobolino
Stay away from me with summer.....
Summer! A lot of people love him. I don't like him! Heat,sultriness,allergies,livestock. Nothing for me. Outdoor pool no Thank you. I'll get my mushrooms at the supermarket. Freshly pressed lying around on the beach and thanks to high UV index getting a precancerous skin disease.Nee!
Off to the woods. It's nice and cool. But it's not safe either. Enweder threaten a tick or not quite so fresh pensioners on e-mountain bikes who have rediscovered their seventh to eighth youth and are hunting harmless walkers. Also a form of ticks!

A refreshing, great fragrance comes just in time. And that's 34.

It begins with a good dash of cinnamon spice. As loved by me, with a sharp blade. Afterwards a wonderful rose scent reaches me, which is well supported by the spice. In the base, the components then mix with wood and eucalyptus. The course alone is exciting, because the individual sections are clearly fragrable.
But the mixture at the end is incredibly harmonious. Not soft, creamy or powdery.
Crystal clear.

The durability and projection are good to very good.

The addition of eucalyptus, which never has a disturbing effect here, gives this fragrance its own beautiful scent, a fresh, invigorating note. No Wick Vaporub or anything like that. But simply the icing on the cake I.

So whoever loves summer, I grant it to him. I'd rather go down to the basement with my new boyfriend, though.

Your Jakobolino
9.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

34 Boulevard Saint Germain
One that probably gets overlooked a little from this house. It was inspired by the house's 50th anniversary and the Paris flagship store. I hope you find my review useful.

7.5 7.5 10.0 8.0/10

Something for Everyone...
I have vacillated back and forth as to whether to attempt describing individual notes for the usual objective portion of the review, but in the end I don't think I could possibly do 34 Boulevard Saint Germain proper justice as there are a ton of ingredients and they are all so well-blended that it just is near impossible to capture them all so I'm not even going to try... Instead, I think I will just give some general impressions of what I smell and my thoughts about the end result... For reference, projection is excellent and longevity exceptional at about 15 hours on skin.

White florals and dulled rose mix with a slightly sweet clove and eucalyptus infused smooth woody incense primary heart accord over candle wax-like iris. The end result is highly complex and quite unique, but completely versatile and easy to wear. I have read elsewhere that Diptyque was going for an approximation of the smell of entering their flagship store with the scent of candles, incense sticks and fragrances wafting in the air. While I have never been there myself, I can definitely visualize the picture well from what I am sniffing for sure. There pretty much is a bit of everything in the composition and it would be all too easy to completely overdo it, yet 34 Boulevard Saint Germain just plain works. The bottom line is despite its enormous list of ingredients and great complexity the $120 per 100ml bottle 34 Boulevard Saint Germain by Dyptique is an amazingly easy to wear success that earns a strong 4 star out of 5 rating and is highly recommended to all.
5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Coutureguru
Round ... like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
My '34' story is relatively convoluted. I first sampled it from a friend who had a bottle given to her by her husband. Following this I received a sample from a Diptyque boutique whilst trotting around London and finally, was sent a 10ml decant by a very generous swap buddy :) ... so I still don't have a full bottle, and I really should because I like it a lot!!

The observations of my learned fellow parfumistas below are spot on! I find 34 Boulevard Saint Germain to be an extremely mutable fragrance, in that it really doesn't follow the rules of fragrance progression at all. An initial blast of florals is quickly followed by green, resiny notes ... quickly taken over by florals again although this time they exhibit a slightly woody character. A faint citrus/fruity pop is periodically evident ... it really is quite bizarre ... in a lovely, wearable way!
In fact, I would probably describe 34 Boulevard Saint Germain as such ... 'imminently wearable'. On my skin this fragrance would do poorly in the cold, as it comes in EDT concentration. Would that it were a big strong EDP ... in that case it would probably be gracing my collection already!! I find the sillage and longevity here a little less than average ... but as my skin really eats perfume this shouldn't dissuade anyone from trying it. With this beautiful combination of notes I really wouldn't mind it being one of the few I own that I had to reapply two or three times a day! For people with more sensitive noses than I this probably sounds mad LOL ... but there it is :).

Imho ... 34 Boulevard Saint Germain is a lovely, invigoratingly floral fragrance for a hot summer weather. I need to remedy the fact that I don't own it yet very, very soon.
8.0/10

Boutique in a bottle
Years ago my wife and I visited a local book shop and, on entering, we were greeted by an incredibly beautiful scent. The shop carries a large selection of scented candles, soap and home fragrances but this particular scent was absolutely captivating. As we perused the shop and thumbed through books, that fragrance became the topic of our conversation and we couldn't get over how much we liked it. Until that moment we had always considered the use of fragrances for the home as being synthetic and unnatural; maybe even a little beneath us. But this scent was different. It was completely natural and stunningly beautiful. It was floral and woody, spicy and herbal. It was contemplative yet exotic, energizing yet calming. We had to have this fragrance! When we told the owner we wanted to buy a bottle of the scent he looked at us very seriously and said, “I’m sorry, it’s very exclusive and not bottled for sale.” Seeing our disappointment, he laughed and said, “I wish we could bottle it because everyone asks for it. It’s just an amalgamation of all the scented products we carry.”

That idea of a ‘boutique in a bottle’ is the concept behind 34 Boulevard St. Germain. According to the Diptyque website:
“34 encapsulates the scent of its first boutique located on 34 Boulevard Saint Germain with rare and precious fragrances. The result is a fragrance that has an innovative and complex signature.”

With that in mind, 34 really is an overview of Diptyque products, particularly the warmer perfumes like Tam Dao and the woodier, resinous scents from their room fragrance and candle collection. I have the same visceral experiences wearing 34 as I did all those years ago experiencing the amalgamation of essences in the bookshop.

At the risk of making 34 sound heavy and cloying -which it’s not- I would describe it as a warm, complex fragrance that wears like a comfortable cashmere sweater. As you’re likely to gather, 34 is not a hot weather scent but, as I said, it’s not heavy, either. I would imagine it contains a fair number of aldehydes because it wears and disperses in very cloud-like way, while close to the skin it’s fine and ever so slightly powdery.

Sherapop’s review (below) is spot on when she mentions the chameleon like aspect of 34. As it dries down it becomes a kaleidoscope of notes constantly shifting the same materials in new patterns. One time a little rose comes through, then sweet spices, another sniff and incense and myrrh make an appearance, then just a touch of eucalyptus comes along and airs things out.

To be honest, this is not the sort of fragrance I normally wear. I tend toward shear, low sillage scents. However, there is no denying that this is a beautiful, unisex fragrance and I look forward to wearing it on cold winter days.
10.0 10.0 7.0/10

A Post-Modern Perfume
Diptyque 34 BOULEVARD SAINT GERMAIN is a complex woody oriental perfume which manages to roll together a surprising number of relatively intense scents into a coherent whole. Different notes are salient at different times and this is not according to any consistent progression or development. Perhaps this is a post-modern perfume?

At moments, 34 seems more oriental, then suddenly more aromatic, then very woody with an incense-like edge. Overall, I'd have to say that this is an interesting and unpredictable composition. Despite being somewhat chaotic, 34 never seems incoherent and is pleasant to smell at every stage. A chameleon could wear this perfume well.
7.5 9.0 10.0 9.0/10

A medley of delight
I have nothing but praise for 34 Blvd St Germain. A plethora of notes blended in harmony to yield a long lasting, massively projecting fragrance. It renders a 3D sensation to me. no single note dominates the perfume. It's a harmony of notes collectively working to produce a medley of goodness.

I have designated this as my travel perfume. If constrained when traveling and i can only take one perfume , this is it.

I smell new accords in every wearing. For the first 10 wearings i smelled different accords and different notes more prominently. A magical and captivating perfume.

Trucklady 137 days ago
My favourite Diptyque. A bit of this and that to make the finest unisex all rounder. Fresh air in a bottle.
10.0
9.0

Eine tolle neue Oktoberwoche in wärmenden Tönen wünscht Irini euch allen und dankt ...:-))
by Irini
by MrFumejunkie
by hedonist222
by hedonist222

Popular Diptyque

Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Do Son (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Lente by Diptyque Oud Palao by Diptyque Oyédo by Diptyque Eau de Lierre by Diptyque Eau Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque L'Eau du Trente-Quatre by Diptyque