Eau Duelle (2010)Eau de Toilette

Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque
Bottle Design Servaire&Co

Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 2010. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital.

Pink pepper, Cypriol, Calamus, Bourbon vanilla

Submitted by Fran, last update on 10.06.2020.

Spray Eau Duelle, take a cup of thee and sit near a fireplace and RELAX
This parfum is so interesting, it smels something different trought the hour, it starts like a candy, later you smel more the vanilla and after i was more like this is a strong pepper and then more green herbs and than again vanilla and smoke, i have to say this is more a light parfum not really havy (ofcous i have the EDT version, never tested EDP so i dont know about edp) the silage is a little soft for this expensive diptyque parfume but still its not a bad scent very cozy and classic smelling. I think this is a perfect winter scent when you are staying at home and taking a great cup of thee and enjoying your night near a fireplace and relax. So i love this one, a great winter parfum at home.
Challenge end: On the way to "my" vanilla scent - 30.1.2020
This is my last sample of vanilla perfume and once again I am very excited. However, there is no need to be boring here, because so many good and fitting comments have already been written about Eau Duelle EdT. I can only confirm how beautiful this fragrance is, especially because of these qualities: The vanilla looks very natural, it is not too sweet at all, it has something woody and in my sample even a hearty smoky taste, although the incense is actually only mentioned at the EdP. This smoky scent appears quickly at the beginning and rises a little bit from the vanilla scent or upwards, it reaches my nose earlier than the soft vanilla that accompanies it. What I like so insanely is the missing sweet and sticky gourmand effect; vanilla is so expressive as a flower or even deep black in the pod, it does not need the constant sugar. On the contrary, this allows their spicy qualities (or, in the case of the flower, the floral ones, but as a perfume with vanilla blossom I have hardly any in my head at the moment) to unfold much better and the fragrance is also much more applicable. I find the EdT very light and close to the body, but very round and balanced. Unfortunately I don't know what Cypriol smells like, but the pepper underlines the whole thing very cleverly with a promising depth. All in all a very nice scent!

Ein altes Holzhaus im Wald
Eau Duelle riecht genau wie das alte Holzhaus meiner Oma, holzig-süßlich, nach abgestandenen Möbeln, feuchten Wänden und etwas rauchig. Mein Freund meinte, ich rieche schön nach Vanille, aber mir fällt es schwer, das wahrzunehmen. Mir wird etwas übel von dem Geruch und ich rieche ihn sehr stark an mir selber. Die Haltbarkeit ist sehr gut, soweit ich das einschätzen kann, ich bin noch nachts immer wieder davon aufgewacht, weil es mich gestört hat.

Vanilla Spice...
Eau Duelle is a spicy vanilla fragrance, but this spices are not ones you would typically expect in the style of the feminine orientals like Shalimar, Opium etc. Instead... Eau Duelle has what I call "green" spices, like cardamom & herbs. These feature juniper, pink pepper, elemi resin (which to me smells "juicy") and olibanum (frankincense). I think this makes it different, and versatile in many different ways. In can be worn by a man, as I think the vanilla is balanced with the dry herbs and spices here. It can of course be worn by a woman equally well.

Note: I am reviewing the Eau de Toilette

I don't find this one too "gourmand" but I think it will appeal to people looking for a gourmand and those who are not alike. This is one I could wear happily in my collection. A really great choice for an interesting take on vanilla. Unisex and worth a try for everyone out there.

A Cosy Vanilla
Eau Duelle is a hard scent to fathom. One minute it smells like an oriental vanilla, the next it's a smooth, woodsy floral. Either way, it wasn't what I was expecting.

For the most part, Eau Duelle is creamy in texture and discreet. The bourbon vanilla accord is rather dominant on my skin, with a smooth buttery quality created by the elemi resin. It's unique but not difficult to wear.

Occasionally I find myself enjoying Eau Duelle and its smoothness, however I have to agree with some reviewers that it is simple and perhaps forgettable. Although, for days when something soft and inoffensive is required, I somehow seem to crave it. So it does have its purpose.

One or two spritzes is enough to last the whole day, as Eau Duelle has wonderful lasting power and moderate sillage. I've only recently begun to test Diptyque as a brand, and so far I'm enjoying their light and simplistic offerings. They convey a beautiful sense of elegance through their compositions.

The way in which this fragrance settles on the skin, is both comforting and familiar. In fact, it's quite a cuddly scent. Due to its comforting nature it seems fairly casual to me, however it's versatile enough to be worn almost anywhere.

Eau Duelle is not likely to offend. Who doesn't love a cosy vanilla scent? This is yet another very pleasant niche offering that I have no qualms in recommending.

Originally written: July 15, 2012.

Duelle Disappointment
Ah, Dyptique. I was unimpressed by your offerings before and now more than ever, continue to be so. Why is your wonderful vanilla/frankincense composition so very weak? When I first smelled the EDP, I was mesmerized by the church incense note. The burnt vanilla was soft and wonderful. But after a few minutes, there is nothing at all! I wish it were different but this is not for me.

Eau Duelle
This fragrance opens with a delicate, almost edible vanilla accord. Simply delicious, the accord reminds me of a vanilla-lemon custard, or a vanilla-lemon cake. This gourmand impression is soon shattered by the appearance of juniper and elemi resin which I see as pepper and incense. The scent remains sweet and vanilla-dominated, but I'd place it now in the same category as the non-gourmand Vanille Insensee by Atelier Cologne. This Dyptique, however, has more presence and sparkle. The fragrance sheds most of its sugary and citrusy facets as it develops - the emphasis is now more on the vanilla, resin and smoky tea notes. The dry down can be described as a flat vanilla framed by a sheer veil of smoke.

Vanilla Overload
I have a sample of this and wow! - it's vanilla overload. There's nothing muted about it from the start.

Imagine a very strong, creamy vanilla ice cream and you have Eau Duelle.

Inoffensive Sweet Floriental
Diptyque EAU DUELLE is a somewhat sweet floriental. Pretty inoffensive but also not very thrilling. I wore the liquid edt both yesterday and this morning, and I have now applied the solid perfume. Yesterday's wearing was, I have to say, entirely forgettable. I didn't even notice what I was wearing for most of the day. I'm finding the solid perfume quite a bit more appealing. It's less sweet and more incense-y and I find it more oriental and less sugary than the edt.

I've tried (and acquired) a number of houses' solid perfumes, and Diptyque's has a wonderful texture: soft and oily, rather than hard and waxy. The oiliness appears to be contributing to the composition as well, as I really do prefer the solid EAU DUELLE to the liquid. The packaging of the Diptyque solids is gorgeous: a black-enameled stamped vessel with a lot of heft and an appealing closure mechanism. The only problem I foresee is that the lid is flat and only rests on top of the perfume, rather than enclosing it. This makes me wonder whether this would travel well, since the perfume itself is already quite soft. I can imagine, for example, this melting out of the container all over one's bag in hot weather. But that's okay: I'll leave mine at home, where I can admire it in all its beauty and wear it now and then.

I'm giving a neutral rating to EAU DUELLE, all things considered, since I only really like it in the solid form. I was underwhelmed by the liquid version of this oriental composition and would not add a bottle to my collection.

ItchynoseItchynose 8 months ago
Very close to the EdP version but a bit more spice and less vanilla here; a bit lighter, more suitable for warmer weather.

DANKE für die schönen Reaktionen, freu mich!
by BBMie
by Blaustern
by Montexx
by Montexx

Popular Diptyque

Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Tempo by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Fleur de Peau by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Oud Palao by Diptyque L'Eau du Trente-Quatre by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Capitale (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque