Eau Duelle (2010) Eau de Toilette

Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque
Bottle Design: Servaire&Co

Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 2010. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital.

Vanilla, Bergamot, Cardamom, Pink pepper, Elemi resin, Juniper, Saffron, Frankincense, Black tea, Musk, Ambergris, Bourbon vanilla

Submitted by Fran, last update on 18.09.2019

Vanilla Spice...
Eau Duelle is a spicy vanilla fragrance, but this spices are not ones you would typically expect in the style of the feminine orientals like Shalimar, Opium etc. Instead... Eau Duelle has what I call "green" spices, like cardamom & herbs. These feature juniper, pink pepper, elemi resin (which to me smells "juicy") and olibanum (frankincense). I think this makes it different, and versatile in many different ways. In can be worn by a man, as I think the vanilla is balanced with the dry herbs and spices here. It can of course be worn by a woman equally well.

Note: I am reviewing the Eau de Toilette

I don't find this one too "gourmand" but I think it will appeal to people looking for a gourmand and those who are not alike. This is one I could wear happily in my collection. A really great choice for an interesting take on vanilla. Unisex and worth a try for everyone out there.
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

A Cosy Vanilla
Eau Duelle is a hard scent to fathom. One minute it smells like an oriental vanilla, the next it's a smooth, woodsy floral. Either way, it wasn't what I was expecting.

For the most part, Eau Duelle is creamy in texture and discreet. The bourbon vanilla accord is rather dominant on my skin, with a smooth buttery quality created by the elemi resin. It's unique but not difficult to wear.

Occasionally I find myself enjoying Eau Duelle and its smoothness, however I have to agree with some reviewers that it is simple and perhaps forgettable. Although, for days when something soft and inoffensive is required, I somehow seem to crave it. So it does have its purpose.

One or two spritzes is enough to last the whole day, as Eau Duelle has wonderful lasting power and moderate sillage. I've only recently begun to test Diptyque as a brand, and so far I'm enjoying their light and simplistic offerings. They convey a beautiful sense of elegance through their compositions.

The way in which this fragrance settles on the skin, is both comforting and familiar. In fact, it's quite a cuddly scent. Due to its comforting nature it seems fairly casual to me, however it's versatile enough to be worn almost anywhere.

Eau Duelle is not likely to offend. Who doesn't love a cosy vanilla scent? This is yet another very pleasant niche offering that I have no qualms in recommending.

Originally written: July 15, 2012.
7.5 2.5 2.5 4.0/10

Duelle Disappointment
Ah, Dyptique. I was unimpressed by your offerings before and now more than ever, continue to be so. Why is your wonderful vanilla/frankincense composition so very weak? When I first smelled the EDP, I was mesmerized by the church incense note. The burnt vanilla was soft and wonderful. But after a few minutes, there is nothing at all! I wish it were different but this is not for me.
5.0 2.5 5.0 3.0/10

Eau Duelle
This fragrance opens with a delicate, almost edible vanilla accord. Simply delicious, the accord reminds me of a vanilla-lemon custard, or a vanilla-lemon cake. This gourmand impression is soon shattered by the appearance of juniper and elemi resin which I see as pepper and incense. The scent remains sweet and vanilla-dominated, but I'd place it now in the same category as the non-gourmand Vanille Insensee by Atelier Cologne. This Dyptique, however, has more presence and sparkle. The fragrance sheds most of its sugary and citrusy facets as it develops - the emphasis is now more on the vanilla, resin and smoky tea notes. The dry down can be described as a flat vanilla framed by a sheer veil of smoke.

Vanilla Overload
I have a sample of this and wow! - it's vanilla overload. There's nothing muted about it from the start.

Imagine a very strong, creamy vanilla ice cream and you have Eau Duelle.
5.0 7.5 5.0/10

Inoffensive Sweet Floriental
Diptyque EAU DUELLE is a somewhat sweet floriental. Pretty inoffensive but also not very thrilling. I wore the liquid edt both yesterday and this morning, and I have now applied the solid perfume. Yesterday's wearing was, I have to say, entirely forgettable. I didn't even notice what I was wearing for most of the day. I'm finding the solid perfume quite a bit more appealing. It's less sweet and more incense-y and I find it more oriental and less sugary than the edt.

I've tried (and acquired) a number of houses' solid perfumes, and Diptyque's has a wonderful texture: soft and oily, rather than hard and waxy. The oiliness appears to be contributing to the composition as well, as I really do prefer the solid EAU DUELLE to the liquid. The packaging of the Diptyque solids is gorgeous: a black-enameled stamped vessel with a lot of heft and an appealing closure mechanism. The only problem I foresee is that the lid is flat and only rests on top of the perfume, rather than enclosing it. This makes me wonder whether this would travel well, since the perfume itself is already quite soft. I can imagine, for example, this melting out of the container all over one's bag in hot weather. But that's okay: I'll leave mine at home, where I can admire it in all its beauty and wear it now and then.

I'm giving a neutral rating to EAU DUELLE, all things considered, since I only really like it in the solid form. I was underwhelmed by the liquid version of this oriental composition and would not add a bottle to my collection.

DANKE für die schönen Reaktionen, freu mich!
by BBMie
by Delidazo87
by Blaustern
by Blaustern

Popular Diptyque

Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Do Son (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Lente by Diptyque Oud Palao by Diptyque Oyédo by Diptyque Eau de Lierre by Diptyque Eau Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque L'Eau du Trente-Quatre by Diptyque