Eau de Lierre (2007)

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque
Bottle Design: Servaire&Co

Eau de Lierre is a perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is green-fresh. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital.

Top Notes Top NotesCyclamen, Ivy
Heart Notes Heart NotesGalbanum, Geranium, Green pepper
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Musk, Rosewood

Submitted by DirkDS, last update on 05.04.2019

9.0 5.0 6.0 7.5/10

Marble with ivy
A very cool fragrance, from the first spray on. Cool melancholy, dew drops, dark green foliage, a wall covered with ivy, cold. A marble statue with a little of the ivy around its feet.
Bitter of galbanum and spicy-aromatic in the course. The coolness fills with life, but remains intact.
There is such a dark green, which changes between blue parts and some golden yellow, depending on the incidence of light. That's how I see the scent when I smell it.
7.0 3.0 5.0 7.5/10

Aventurin
Dancing at the funeral party
I like ivy. The evergreen squatter. Its beautifully shaped leaves, which wallpaper entire houses and give them a mysterious aura, form into hedges, at RAM speed ensnare everything that could not escape in time. That ivy's pretty pushy and invasive. And also vicious - the plague and horror of many ambitious hobby gardeners.
The problem doesn't bother me, because the garden is a green hell where ivy is the best with.
And since gardening appeals to me about as much as the tax code, the scourge of my neighbours thrives especially beautifully and splendidly. The others have squeaky smooth silk lawns, I have an unpleasant ivy meadow (I would like both).

Ivy is the central theme in Eau de Lierre - ivy water - and Eau de Lierre is indeed more a fragrance than a perfume, the successful implementation of a monothematic fragrance idea. Clear, minimalist, unadorned. Rich green nature with bitter and tart speckles.
Freshly cut stems, wooden baskets with dove-netted green leaves and grasses, a hint of soil and plant soap. Ivy takes everything and wraps around the baskets, covers the grass, forms small roofs, but very tenderly and cautiously, as if it wanted to embrace and protect.
Eau de Lierre succeeds - quietly and timidly - in capturing the character of ivy: the beauty of melancholy, when it entwines a shiny black pond in the shade of a forest, climbs up gravestones in the dark of the cemetery. Following the forms of the world, letting grey die, dabbing colour into nothingness.

"The Funeral Party" is a song by The Cure - one of their best, I think - and I've always imagined two people standing in front of a grave overgrown with ivy on a foggy autumn morning, mourning the two souls who rest timelessly in the grey-brown silence.
Lower your gaze and travel through a strange past. Side by side united in age and grief. The wind conducts a sluggish concert of treetops above them, and the ivy trembles softly, recalling the life lost too soon, dancing at the funeral ceremony.
5.0 2.5 2.5 2.0/10

Eau de Lierre
This fragrance opens with a delicate grass accord. It appears rather dewy at first, only to gradually become warmer, drier as the notes bloom on my skin. I attribute this impression of drying grass in the sunshine to a slight anise-like feature present in the grass accord. Initially I do not see ivy in this scent, but rather a lush meadow in Ireland. As the fragrance progresses, a woodsy note emerges, morphing the olfactory illusion of a meadow into that of greenery. The dry down is peppery wood with the tiniest leftover of vegetation. This is a very agreeable, office-friendly scent prefect for spring and summer.
2.5 5.0 5.0 1.0/10

A Life Aquatic
I have been unable to write a review of this fragrance for quite a while because in my mind I had built it up as a hellish horrible ivy covered bitter aquatic and I couldn't stand the thought of wearing it again with out a sure fire antidote to completely remove it from my skin immediately after reviewing it. I detect the cyclamen and green pepper first on this one followed by a natural ambergris aroma. What saves me from barfing at this point is a beautifully done Galbanum- one of my favorite notes. The Galbanum greenness, rounds this out and actually, settles my stomach. This really reminds me of a greener more herbal version of D&G Light Blue. If you like this variety of fragrances, this will be a strong contender. It is going to fall squarely into daytime/ business or casual attire and will be equally suitable on either/all genders. However much I personally detest this sharp green aquatic woody fragrance, I recognize that it is in the group of the overwhelmingly popular kids right now and would be a real crowd pleasure on any floor of a cutting edge corporate law firm in NYC. After the first hour this blossoms into a green pepper herbal aquatic, with crunchy ivy and a light airiness that would be fairly low sillage and office appropriate on anyone. Would I enjoy sitting next to someone wearing this on an airplane ? No I would be breathing in through my mouth and out through the nose to avoid gagging, but I know this scent, it is very "IN" with the effortlessly chic these days...and I always say..."let the dogs have their day" as boring and repetitive as they may seem to my nose, that same trail, that same rock, same rotten fish and that same spot of pee is really super-fantastic to them!
5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Crunchy Floral Green
Diptyque EAU DE LIERRE is a crunchy floral green with true unisex appeal. Among the dominant notes appear to be both hyacinth and lily of the valley. There's a significant amount of brownish grassiness here—as in the grass is becoming dry without quite being dead yet. EAU DE LIERRE is definitely greenish, but there's not much overlap here with übergreens such as MA GRIFFE or FUTUR. The overall effect is clean but in a back-to-nature not a fresh-from-the-shower way. I like it.

Although some floral greens (read Gucci ENVY) grate on my nerves as their all-too-synthetic renditions of lily of the valley expand to the point of near suffocation, here the notes all seem very natural and do not grow like the blob over time. EAU DE LIERRE is a gentler, calmer floral green. Perfect for warm weather!
5.0 3.0 5.0 4.0/10

trimmed ivy
The head note seems well known to me.
Every lot of ivy climbs at our house upward and must be fairly often trimmed.
The back cut of the ivy tendrils smells like Eau de Lierre.
So I feel almost like at home.

The smell gets still green by Galbanum and the geraniums in my window boxes match the smell picture perfectly.

Unfortunately, my comment here finds a sudden end. A couple of peppercorns 'lie' in the air.
The complete base note has hidden behind the ivy apparently.
And ivy is also the only component which is quite weakly left.

What a pity. The beginning was so interesting.

Hermesh 4 years ago
Green and fresh, with the slightly sweet-woody support in the base.
Juicy and discreet green in shadow.
5.0
5.0

Oval!
by Spawny
by Spawny

Popular Diptyque

Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Do Son (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Lente by Diptyque Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau de Lierre by Diptyque Oyédo by Diptyque L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque Eau Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Oud Palao by Diptyque Ofrésia by Diptyque