Eau de Lierre 2007

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque
Bottle Design Servaire&Co
Eau de Lierre is a perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is green-fresh. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital. Pronunciation

Galbanum, Cyclamen, Brazilian rosewood, Pink pepper, Ivy

Submitted by DirkDS, last update on 28.11.2020.

Twenty-one
My first contact with Eau de Lierre was through Hervé le Tellier in his book "Kein Wort mehr über Liebe" (Not a word more about love), which I admire very much.
Even if I do not want to delve too deeply into the literary work at this point, I naturally cannot avoid at least presenting this framework here.

One of the protagonists, a Parisian writer, Yves, begins a relationship with a married woman, Anna, to whom he gives a small booklet for her 40th birthday at the end of their relationship. There he has compiled 40 different memories of moments with her and of her in an unchronological way.

His memory number twenty-one is dedicated to her fragrance, her perfume, which she wears as her signature. Eau de Lierre.
The words are short, but like his other, almost soberly listed memories, they hit straight to the heart. The art of forming a wonderful poetry with clear, almost matter-of-fact words touches me very much in other places in this book as well.

Of course, you can't blame a perfume lover for the fact that she made me curious about Eau de Lierre in particular. Nevertheless, it took me a few years - astonishing even for me in retrospect - before I set out for a more intensive test.

Hervé Le Tellier speaks - basically quoting the perfumer here - of "deep green notes", "vegetal elegance", "dry wood", "stone". And above all, and this is how the fragrance of Anna, his beloved, is "warm tones of spice and musk At least superficially - the rest is poetry, love, longing, this woman
What about me, for me? After an over-green, grassy start, the sharpness soon evaporates, giving a soft, juicy, cool green a lot of space. But not only the green, but also a gentle skin note, which gives the fragrance, the skin itself, a delicate sensuality, a shimmering, an oscillation between coolness and warmth. Not strong, but always present: the durability is surprisingly good on me. I smell myself again and again, even after hours, an aura of fine, gentle, slightly tart freshness wafts around me, always present but not tangible.

Protagonist Yves does not manage to reproduce the scents exactly, these are his own words. He can only describe the feelings that the scent evokes in him. For him, eau de Lierre will always be Anna and what he feels for her.

Even if there is no happy ending for their story: as the poet that he is, he takes this fleeting love, the longing, the lived moments of beauty and sensuality, as a gift of life and breathes them forever in Eau de Lierre.
Marble with ivy
A very cool fragrance, from the first spray on. Cool melancholy, dew drops, dark green foliage, a wall covered with ivy, cold. A marble statue with a little of the ivy around its feet.
Bitter of galbanum and spicy-aromatic in the course. The coolness fills with life, but remains intact.
There is such a dark green, which changes between blue parts and some golden yellow, depending on the incidence of light. That's how I see the scent when I smell it.

Eau de Lierre
This fragrance opens with a delicate grass accord. It appears rather dewy at first, only to gradually become warmer, drier as the notes bloom on my skin. I attribute this impression of drying grass in the sunshine to a slight anise-like feature present in the grass accord. Initially I do not see ivy in this scent, but rather a lush meadow in Ireland. As the fragrance progresses, a woodsy note emerges, morphing the olfactory illusion of a meadow into that of greenery. The dry down is peppery wood with the tiniest leftover of vegetation. This is a very agreeable, office-friendly scent prefect for spring and summer.
2.5

A Life Aquatic
I have been unable to write a review of this fragrance for quite a while because in my mind I had built it up as a hellish horrible ivy covered bitter aquatic and I couldn't stand the thought of wearing it again with out a sure fire antidote to completely remove it from my skin immediately after reviewing it. I detect the cyclamen and green pepper first on this one followed by a natural ambergris aroma. What saves me from barfing at this point is a beautifully done Galbanum- one of my favorite notes. The Galbanum greenness, rounds this out and actually, settles my stomach. This really reminds me of a greener more herbal version of D&G Light Blue. If you like this variety of fragrances, this will be a strong contender. It is going to fall squarely into daytime/ business or casual attire and will be equally suitable on either/all genders. However much I personally detest this sharp green aquatic woody fragrance, I recognize that it is in the group of the overwhelmingly popular kids right now and would be a real crowd pleasure on any floor of a cutting edge corporate law firm in NYC. After the first hour this blossoms into a green pepper herbal aquatic, with crunchy ivy and a light airiness that would be fairly low sillage and office appropriate on anyone. Would I enjoy sitting next to someone wearing this on an airplane ? No I would be breathing in through my mouth and out through the nose to avoid gagging, but I know this scent, it is very "IN" with the effortlessly chic these days...and I always say..."let the dogs have their day" as boring and repetitive as they may seem to my nose, that same trail, that same rock, same rotten fish and that same spot of pee is really super-fantastic to them!

Crunchy Floral Green
Diptyque EAU DE LIERRE is a crunchy floral green with true unisex appeal. Among the dominant notes appear to be both hyacinth and lily of the valley. There's a significant amount of brownish grassiness here—as in the grass is becoming dry without quite being dead yet. EAU DE LIERRE is definitely greenish, but there's not much overlap here with übergreens such as MA GRIFFE or FUTUR. The overall effect is clean but in a back-to-nature not a fresh-from-the-shower way. I like it.

Although some floral greens (read Gucci ENVY) grate on my nerves as their all-too-synthetic renditions of lily of the valley expand to the point of near suffocation, here the notes all seem very natural and do not grow like the blob over time. EAU DE LIERRE is a gentler, calmer floral green. Perfect for warm weather!

trimmed ivy
The head note seems well known to me.
Every lot of ivy climbs at our house upward and must be fairly often trimmed.
The back cut of the ivy tendrils smells like Eau de Lierre.
So I feel almost like at home.

The smell gets still green by Galbanum and the geraniums in my window boxes match the smell picture perfectly.

Unfortunately, my comment here finds a sudden end. A couple of peppercorns 'lie' in the air.
The complete base note has hidden behind the ivy apparently.
And ivy is also the only component which is quite weakly left.

What a pity. The beginning was so interesting.

HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Green and fresh, with the slightly sweet-woody support in the base.
Juicy and discreet green in shadow.

Oval!
by Spawny
by Spawny

Popular Diptyque

Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Fleur de Peau by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Tempo by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Benjoin Bohème by Diptyque Eau Capitale (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Eau du Trente-Quatre by Diptyque Oud Palao by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque Kimonanthe by Diptyque