Eau des Sens 2016Eau de Toilette

Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque
Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is fresh-floral. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital. Pronunciation

Orange blossom, Bitter orange, Juniper berry, Angelica, Patchouli

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 09.04.2021.

Sensory refreshment
The brand Diptique I got to know with "Ofresia", certainly already 7 or 8 years ago. I had him as fresh-flowery Freesienduft ad acta put and me the brand times vorgemerkt.
The years passed, it moved Mojave Ghost in and out again. Currently I own Eau de Lierre. Since I like this fragrance stunningly well, I wanted to get to know the brand even closer and ordered me samples of "Tempo", "Volutes EDP", "Do Son EDP", "Eau des Sens" and "Fleur de Peau". All well rated fragrances I thought to myself, can be nothing bad there.

In fact, I got stuck with Eau des Sens. One or the other knows my preference for fresh floral cheerful and neat fragrances. With the juniper berry I have turned a blind eye, is namely not so my...

Before I have Eau des Sens on heart and kidneys apart, I have first thought about what emotions because a "sensual water" should trigger in me. What was the perfumer thinking when he called this fragrance sensual water? For me it was clear: It should cheer me up, make me feel joyful, invite me to dream or meditate, have something lighthearted.

A quick pan to an interview by Mr. Egger (youtube) with the perfumer of Birkholz - by the way, a family-run perfume house based in Germany - revealed to me that Birkholz first composes the fragrance and then a suitable name is assigned. I wonder if that's how it went with Diptyque Well, apparently Eau des Sens is meant to inspire the senses.

An analysis
The top note impresses with fine, not too juicy citric and a subtle orange blossom with a nice warm tint. This warm tint remains throughout the entire course. There's something damp and fresh resonating throughout the scent, with the juniper berry doing its part here. Over time, it becomes a bit more floral without becoming penetrating or campy. A subliminal woody note that probably comes from the patch joins in, as does the "moist" for me invigorating impression. The base brings all the protagonists to the table and lets them nibble together from a pot of orange, it becomes comfortingly warm and something soapy-pudgy joins in the background. I think of orange blossoms wetted by the morning dew, which give off their scent very delicately and well dosed into the atmosphere, touched by the first warm rays of sun. Overall, it's a linearly evolving scent that doesn't change much - a monotheme, so to speak, in honor of the orange blossom. Admittedly, this O-blossom also has a slight vintage touch as known from fragrances of "bygone" days. A slight similarity to Infusion Fleur d' Oranger by Prada exists here from my point of view.

Does it meet my expectations? Yes and whether - unreservedly. He is uplifting, fresh, invites me to dream and is simply umbeschwert and uncomplicated to wear. The durability is surprisingly quite decent, the sillage is in a healthy medium. For me, a fragrance which is less suitable for the gentlemen of this, but never say never :-D

Conclusion: a beautiful orange blossom fragrance without being indolic, elegant & modern interpreted, not synthetic, for a sunny day preferably in spring or autumn!

Eau de Portugal 2.0
If Philosykos celebrates the fig tree and Tam Dao is a poem to wood, Eau des Sens is the house of Diptyque's bottled tribute to the orange tree, from the leaves to the fruit and everything in between.

The juice is blended with just a handful of elements: aromatic orange blossom, bitter orange zest, sweet patchouli, green juniper berries and herbal angelica, combining to create a simple but effective floral fragrance: a sort of modern, smoother version of Geo F. Trumper's classic Eau de Portugal cologne. Another success story by Diptyque.
A love story.
Already at the first sniff Eau des Sens was a revelation for me and I was gone and gone. I couldn't get my nose off my wrist for the rest of the day.
Balm for nose and soul in my case - and the beginning of a great love.
A fragrance that is fresh and spicy; light, but with a seriousness that suits almost all occasions that life offers. A round fragrance, but not boring.
Always portable, always appropriate. Not too intrusive, but a few hours clearly perceptible for people around me - and always good for their compliments.
An all-rounder, a long runner, a jack-of-all-trades in my collection, who makes me rejoice inwardly and whom I would never want to miss again.

RhythmnHues
A bitter-orange tree blooming in the garden
I'm not familiar with Olivier Pescheux's works but this perfume has to be one of his best to date. It's simply superlative! The concept here was apparently to present a full bigarade-orange tree in a garden. And this presentation is pure genius.

Citruses are difficult to work with. They've been (over)used in modern perfumery for so long now that every facet has been discovered over time and it's incredibly difficult to get any more beyond a point. So lots of perfumers these days look to other ingredients to bring out deeper or hidden facets of citruses, while trying to steer away from cliched ideas. Also adding to their woes is the fact that citrus accords are usually very short lived, hence used almost exclusively as top-notes in perfumes. Mr. Pescheux tackles these issues rather skillfully with his intelligent choice of ingredients. It's rather simple. A big dose of floral Neroli & Orange Blossom - Bitter Orange for a full bouquet of citrus aromas blended beautifully with bright, peppery, bracing juniper berries - sweet, floral and green angelica - a woody, sweet, earthy patchouli accord. Given a full-wearing this is very evocative of a blooming orange tree in a garden. I can smell the green, bitter leaves, slightly-bitter but juicy fruit, the meditative, wispy, powdery-white flowers, the soft woody smell of the bark of the tree, the damp earth beneath it. It's quite an experience.

Highly recommended if you like citrus-aromatics but with woody/floral facets. I wear it by itself mostly, but sometimes I do like to layer it with some other linear fragrances for some extra zest. Like yesterday, I layered this over Tam Dao and it was glorious! Projects big and lasts a very long time on me too - which makes it even more interesting for a citrus fragrance. Top notch stuff!

9/10

by HildegaardL
by Viola8
by Viola8

Popular Diptyque

Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Fleur de Peau by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Tempo by Diptyque L'Eau du Trente-Quatre by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Capitale (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Benjoin Bohème by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Oud Palao by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque