L'Ombre dans L'Eau 1983Eau de Toilette

L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque
Bottle Design Servaire&Co
L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 1983. The scent is green-floral. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital. Pronunciation

Rose, Blackcurrant bud, Petitgrain, Blackcurrant leaf

Submitted by Lotte1, last update on 12.01.2021.

L'Ombre dan's L'Eau
The name of this fragrance alone is a semantic eye candy that makes a melodic sound when spoken. Not so accessible I find, however, this perfume, filled in a very nice Diptyque flacon.
Somehow, I am very fond of this brand. There are so many fragrances from the house to discover.
I liked this one on the first try, added it to my wishlist on the second, and I'm going to get it in my house on the third. Yes, it is anything but tame. Soapy, delicate and tart fruity underpinnings at the start, but a natural rose emerges at the end that has been stripped of any sweetness that might even be found in the wild.
The only reason I didn't pick it up the first time I tested it was because the gentle Eau Rose captivates me just as much. Unfortunately, it is absolutely not durable on my skin.
Eventually I will get myself the Eau Rose soap sometime. Good that Diptyque offers so many different things.
This fragrance here is characterized by idiosyncratic beauty.
It reminds me of the paintings of Egon Schiele, who has been truly bold and innovative, for which you can never really be ready. His paintings and drawings sometimes provoke the viewer, but they usually also inevitably touch him. They are beautiful and bold in a very idiosyncratic way.
A book that, like this fragrance, should not be forgotten is "The Trial" by Kafka, who created an imaginary castle that no man would want to live in.
Those who like something more upbeat yet thoughtful should reach for "Ecce homo"
by Nietzsche.
With this book you really have to put the cart before the horse and it still gives pleasure, like this beautiful eau de toilette, which for some reason unknown to me I did not buy outright.
I was probably looking too doggedly for a specific rose scent, but I found it on the spur of the moment later: Elisabethan Rose.

I hope you enjoy testing and have a pleasant evening
Frieda50
And somehow it's a rose..
Years ago, during a stay in hospital, my roommate, when asked, told me about her fragrance, which was engraved in my memory: L Ombre dans l Eau.
Now I received with a purchase over the Souk a sample.
The first impression: oops, it is fresh and green (almost frightening)! But it doesn't resemble in any way any fragrance that has been one of my favourites so far.
But the screaming green gives way quickly and then something remains that someone here once called "Weleda wild rose aura" And maybe that is exactly what fascinates me about this fragrance. The contrasts, the extraordinary and the quietly in secret blooming rose.
Finally, the ultimate test; the whole office day every now and then carefully patted on the forearm. Should I make an investment in a fragrance that might turn out to be an expensive mistake?
And again - first green and fresh but without the usual eau de cologne or citrus hints. And where I miss the strength and durability, in reality the wild (?) - rose cuddles on my arm and accompanies me through the day Already in the afternoon of this day my decision is made and the joy about the promise of my souk partner to send me the scent as soon as possible reconciles me with all the adversities of the day.
Cool Lady
Rarely have I found the name of a fragrance so fitting:
I feel transported to the shady corner of a beautifully landscaped castle garden.
Roses are reflected in a cool fountain.
I see her as if through glass while I smell her scent:
Not the heavy, lush, animalistic "vamp rose", but an elegant lady, cool, clear, distanced, reserved.
Wrapped in a silky soft, transparent chypre veil.
Beautiful, but I'm not getting warm with her Maybe a fragrance for the days when I want to appear cool and distant ?
Marquise27
A garden with all its beautiful secrets
After the first spray, the air around me fills up with something fresh green and juicy, slightly tart, very tasty - I could bite into it! Now after a while I notice the rose well, but also the fresh and tart taste of this incredibly good black currant. Whether flowers or leaves this pairing is delicate and unusual. I love the scent sprayed on the young morning (spring and summer) and the day becomes my friend. For an eau de toilette already its very good and long shelf life, easily 6-8 hours. For me this is not a typical floral scent but rather a slightly fresh and tart gourmand. Somehow it also has a darker touch like after a very sultry warm day where the flowers and leaves have spread all their wonderful aromas and now a strong wind blows through everything before the thunderstorm. For a moment a dark morbid smell covers everything before the rain washes it clear again. After about 4 hours, I find that this wonderful scent gives off something very finely dosed sweet, the rose leaves its imprint. All in all, the fragrance is a really good mixture and very balanced - a little bit of everything .... clean, fresh green, slightly tart and fruity aromas - together they result in something very pleasant. This is the picture of a perhaps enchanted garden with all its secrets and great scents and aromas. Who would like to live in it all? You just have to be very quiet and listen and open your nose for this beautiful abundance.
The bottles are pure hand flatterers.
Olfactory depression...
The summer is coming to an end and, I am tired of my scents and a little tired. The summer in Berlin was hot and extremely dry. It smells dust, ozone, dried grass, dry leaves in the roadside at night. Sometimes a happy smell of a passerby touches me.
I usually have "bam." I used scents to make me even smell myself. Sandalwood, Amber Patschouli, everything the Orientals have to offer.
For a few days now I've been looking for old and proven in my perfume cupboard and find l'ombre dans L'eau. With the aggressive sunshine, shade is just right for me and water sounds easy.
The first sprayer reminds me of the fruit stand at the weekly market where black-blue currants in white cardboard bowls are waiting to be eaten. Next door the flower stall . A breeze of wild rose scents wafts to me. The green, slightly more sour notes are coming through now. Also fruity, mixed with fleshy rose petals, prevails. That way the shadow will stay on my wrist for six hours. It reminds me a little of Malone scents, but l'ombre dans l'eau has a little more "bam", smells fuller. A magnificent all-rounder that lulls you into late summer.
I'm gradually coming out of my scent depression...

Sorelena
Journey back to my childhood garden
After Philosykos and Tam dao , my 2 favourite fragrances of Dyptique, L'ombre dans l'eau surprises me with its beautiful natural smell. I do not know how diptyque always manages to present nature in a fragrance form with so much precision...

The smell of currants I know and love since my childhood, the leaves have a very interesting smell (somehow similar to tomato leaves), the sweet rich smell of rose is also very authentic
For me it smells very feminine and somehow seductive

What I also find interesting is that the fragrance appeared in 1983... But it still smells modern.
Protective water
I wrap myself in a coat of bitter leaf green.
I'm poisonous, just stays away from me.
Anybody you want to harm me.
Anybody you want to talk me down.
I'm stronger.
You can yell at me, you can tell me 1000 times "you can't do it, you can't do it, don't try it at all", you can dress in wrong care to 'care' for me, the poor little plant that can't do anything, you can say 1000 times "let me take care of your life for you, as long as you obey me, it'll be okay", with the wrong smile on your face, I don't believe you anymore.
You won't get through my protective aura, which smells like poisonous plants.
I'm more. I'm not yours. I belong to myself. My life belongs to me.
You can't hurt me.
You can't hurt me.
I'm not a poor plant. No weak instinct.
I am the rose in the middle of the Johanisberry hedge.
I am protected by the hedge that has thorns.
You'll cut yourself if you get too close. You'll poison yourself if the thorns prick you.
There's nothing more you can do to me.
Today I am stronger.
I'm no longer the little child who can't fight back That you can do anything for that you can push around with impunity.
I have become more.
There's nothing more you can do to me. No matter how hard you try.
There's the protective aura you can't get through.
I am the rose amidst the hedge of thorns.
There's nothing more you can do to me.
No fragrance twin to "Luna" Penhaligon's, this is a bright rose blossom fragrance with lemon.
L'Ombre Dans L'Eau is a green-herbal, bitter-plant Johanis berry scent.
DonJuanDeCat
Shadows in waters smell sweet and powdery
Today I am describing a diptyque fragrance, and yes, I have to admit that I first became aware of the brand through the fragrance of Philosyko, as I was still looking for good fig scents at that time. For as you know, I like figs, both as fruit and in fragrance. But the thing is that most fig scents smell a bit too stuffy for me and therefore I think only few of these scents are really good. Philosykos is a masterpiece for me, if you like this fragrance and basically only want to smell this fragrance.

It is surpassed at most by Fico di Amalfi of Acqua di Parma as well as Debaser of D.S. Durga (at least with me). Whatever. Before I bore you with it any longer, in which I talk endlessly about figs (and at some point even tell you such disgusting things as that you can get atomic diarrhea if you eat too many figs! :D), I finally come to this fragrance here.

L'ombre dans L'Eau... that doesn't mean the man in the water, because I was too stupid and confused the French word ombre (shadow) with the Spanish word hombre (man), but it simply means "shadow in the water", which somehow sounds threatening. And so I have to think about a friend, who always got a little panic in the sea on the water mattress, when she thought she saw a big shadow in the water :DD

But now for the scent!

The fragrance:
At the beginning I smell for a (unfortunately) very short time great, tangy green notes, which unfortunately disappear again quickly as I said. Then the rose quickly sets in, and a powdery-sweet currant comes in. Sure, that's how it smells, but I wish you could enjoy the green notes a bit more in the top note.
For a while, the fragrance remains sweet and powdery and smells almost only of roses and currants, although every now and then something harsh seems to shine in the background, which is only noticeable when you sniff very close to the sprayed area.
And so the fragrance actually remains until the end, at least for the most part, because I only smell the currants as the main fragrance and the roses behind them. Musk, which is listed here, is rather small, which one hardly notices in the actual smell cloud, but more, if one goes very near and sniffs.
Altogether a simple, but also very nice smelling fragrance.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is okay for a summer scent. This means that, like most summer fragrances, the fragrance cannot be smelled over long distances, but you don't have to get as close to it to be able to smell it, at least not at first.
The shelf life is also quite okay. I could still smell the scent quite weakly after six hours.

The bottle:
The bottle is oval and you can always see a nice black and white drawing on the front. This time you can see a swan (for whatever reason...). Sure, the fragrance translates as "shadow in the water", but I don't know what the name has to do with a swan. After all, everything in the water could cast a shadow. Anyway, the lid is cylindrical and black. With a lot of imagination the bottle looks like a person wearing a cylinder :D

You know, after Philosykos it was clear that I had to try some diptyque scents because I thought this brand was great. Well, the brand itself is great, but as it always is, not all scents are great :D
But I didn't even try soo many diptyques, which is only because you can't find these scents in every shop and in niche perfumeries, as already described recently, you feel a little too much observed in a somewhat annoyingly annoying way. Anyway... actually it's about time that I started working with this brand again, and a sample of this fragrance from a dear Parfuma reminded me of this brand again, so thank you very much :)

And this fragrance here is really great, smells wonderful and is suitable for daytime as well as for going out, but I find it somehow slightly feminine as unisex. It fits well into spring and summer and can therefore also be worn at holiday resorts. I would definitely have a look at it... or "smell it" :DD

Hmm... do too many currants actually give you diarrhea? Hey he he he
The secret garden
This morning I went to the Diptyque sample of L'ombre dans L'Eau to get my hands on a wonderful package of a very sweet and generous perfume. A headache morning with little desire for the office day.
And behold, suddenly bright joy and a lively way in the morning sun to work. This natural green, slightly bitter and at the same time slightly sweet freshness enchanted me from the very first moment.
The already mentioned comparison with amethyst, which I recently tested, I find understandable due to the individual scent elements, but for me amethyst is much sweeter, heavier and almost madamic compared to the diptyque scent.

The scent reminded me again and again of the Nile garden of Hermes, and that, although there are officially no similarities in the scent pyramid. Maybe it's just a similar style, a similar way of making, but maybe it's a tomato green note in both, something shrubby that I like so much. Goutal's Ninfeo also goes in this direction, which can sometimes seem herbaceous and uncouth, but is incredibly good for me, as nature itself does.
I find the shelf life surprisingly good for this kind of delicately meandering scents with about six hours, the Sillage is probably not so strong, but just right for me. I am happy that I was able to get to know this fragrance and thank the donor!
Valrahmeh
The scent of the pond nymphs
It all began with a sailing trip on the Cote d'Azur. The small locker in my cabin was smelling of various predecessors, and I couldn't sleep at night, because I had a lot of pains in my mind's eye rolling on my mattress. In my desperation I trotted into a perfumery in Antibes and cried myself out. "Take Baies from Diptyque, you will like it and you will sleep wonderfully" recommended the saleswoman and gave me a candle for 45 euros. I didn't care, my sleep was worth it.

In the evening I lit the fancy white candle in the glass and within a short time a wonderful scent of roses, currants and warm wax wafted through the lower deck. My cabin had become a princess's chamber within minutes. My men on board also thought that it smelled wonderful, until my younger brother noticed that a candle was burning in the cabin and had a seizure, which I will not go into here... after all, I didn't burn down the fancy boat with its shiny old wooden planks.

So the next day I went back to the perfumery and asked if this fragrance would be available without an open flame. Yes of course! The salesgirl said with a refined look at my blonde hair that Cathérine Deneuve also wore it. So I bought the eau de parfum without thinking twice. It was the beginning of a wonderful friendship.

The mixture of tomato stem, rose, currant leaves and green herbs is incomparable. A monolith among the fragrances. Unique and completely detached. Like a scent meteorite that has plunged from space into water. Many perfumes develop from predecessors, take over a certain style or direction. L'ombre dans l'eau is completely unaffected. There was nothing comparable before and nothing like it after that.

Probably Desmond Knox Leet couldn't sleep either, so he wandered around the garden and wrote down a formula in moonlight that a pond nixie had dictated to him. The next morning he mixed it all together in disbelief and called it "Shadows on the water".
It's not really of this world.
Probably the mermaid was never allowed to come to the surface again as punishment, because she had betrayed the most beautiful secret of the Aquarius' castle and his daughters

by Hatka
by Tnahowru
by Savanoja
by Savanoja

Popular Diptyque

Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Fleur de Peau by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Tempo by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Capitale (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque L'Eau du Trente-Quatre by Diptyque Oud Palao by Diptyque Benjoin Bohème by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque