Olène (1988)

Olène by Diptyque
Bottle Design: Servaire&Co

Olène is a perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 1988. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital.

Wisteria, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Narcissus

Submitted by Pazuzu, last update on 14.05.2019

Hirondelle
Glycines "après l'ondée" or: The steaming blue rain in the evening sun after a rainy day
This scent fits so beautifully into exactly this season: late April: The Lechzen after somewhat warmer days has (in theory) an end and suddenly literally flowers explode, trees and of course the blue rain. It is the smell of the blue rain after it has rained for a whole day and in the late afternoon the sun suddenly breaks through the clouds and the blue rain now steams in the evening sun.

Jasmine and narcissus underline a certain heaviness, the honeysuckle gives some lightness and a touch of powder. In the course of time jasmine and narcissus take over relatively soon, too bad, I would have liked to stand under the steaming blue rain (or would have liked to pass it a few more times).

I would recommend a sparing dosage as mild headache potential.
Overall nice late spring fragrance.
7.0 6.0 7.0 8.0/10

Crisp, Green Jasmine
Olene by Diptyque is a very natural interpretation of jasmine. It smells just like a jasmine bush in full bloom with the green stem and leaves included. I do love the way Diptyque does their white florals as they incorporate the whole garden and not just the flowers themselves.

Olene is the perfect Spring-time fragrance as it is both fresh and energising. It has an almost vintage charm about it, like something I would expect to smell on a wealthy lady born in the early 1900's at an English tea party. Matching this fragrance to a literary character, I would choose Diana Barry from Anne of Green Gables.

I stumbled upon Olene as a common recommendation for a wedding day scent. For a Spring wedding in a garden type setting, yes this would indeed be perfect. I don't wear many jasmine based soliflores, but for my own wedding I'd be happy to make the exception.

Olene's composition is a little linear, being predominantly jasmine from start to finish. Wisteria, honeysuckle and daffodil sweeten the scent only slightly, never to overpower the ultra-dominant jasmine accord.

I will need to wear Diptyque's Olene a few more times to fully assess how it wears on my skin so I can decide whether or not it makes the wedding day cut. So far I am impressed by both its scent and bold projection. It's definitely one of the better niche white florals on the market today.
9.0/10

Rediscovered
Trotting through my favorites, some of which I haven't worn for a while, I put this on yesterday. To me the strongest note is Jasmine, made deeply alluring by Narcissus, Wisteria and Honeysuckle in delightful accompaniment. On first sniff this is compelling and it remains so as it softens over time. I wish it lasted longer, but 3-4 hours of heaven is pretty good. I bought this early on during a Jasmine Sniff Fest and my nose has grown smarter over the past couple of years. I can now compare it to narcotic Jasmine others: Rodin Olio Lusso and Kiss My Name by Ramon Monegal, for example. Olène more than holds its own.
10.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

MasterLi
Like a garden full of flowers...
You know, it's not easy to review perfumes sometimes... I get lost in the description and everything, and I don't always find the right words, but this one is just such a natural, peaceful smell for me. It's like standing in a summer garden full of beautiful flowers. I can't really describe it any better than that (but of course I'll try)!

Diptyque - Olène is inspired by gardens in the city of Venice, where jasmine grows along walled gardens. Personally, this strikes me more as a garden surrounded by nature, not buildings. The notes work together in such harmony that it feels like you're really there! Jasmine is the main note, but green, and supported by more "green" notes, but also some very intense florals (which I'm not good at describing), like Narcissus, Wisteria, Honeysuckle etc. But like I said, this just reminds me of sitting or standing in a garden absolutely full of all the heady, intoxicating flowers you can think of. It's very floral, but also green and sheer, and I have no problem wearing it in summer or in winter.

I think if you are someone who likes very natural smelling floral notes, or enjoy the smell of being in a garden, and working with plants, then you may fall in love with this one. How they managed to put all this in one bottle I have no idea... but it smells wonderful! Really lovely.
8.0/10

Triumph of Flora
I had smelled Olène some years earlier and i remembered it as a particularly intoxicating white floral so i was very looking forward to smell it again; when i did in my last visit to the Diptyque store in Paris, i had the same exact feeling of wonder and i celebrated the reunion with this vernal goddess by getting myself one bottle that i don´t really need because i already have perfume for an average lifespan.
The opening of Olène is to me, one of the most beautiful and perfect i´ve ever smelled. Serve the illustration on the label (now in the back of the flaÇon) as a promise of the content: Flora holding a cornucopia of flowers, therefore spring-like, seductive and lush as very few other fragances, Olène does to narcissus what Guerlain´s Mahora does to tuberose.
Olène is indeed a very narcissus centered fragance, could i dare to say a soliflore? I speak with Oléne-tinged fingertips on the keyboard and the nose on a helpful "bridal-crown" narcissus that grows on a lil pot just at my side (yeah,im literally twisting my head to sniff and type at the same time just for the sake of being truthful) so contrarily to other opinions, im convinced when i say the note of narcissus is dominant.
The glorious opening, though, is much sunnier and sweeter than narcissus itself, thanks to what it seems to be a honeyed spanish broom-like accord (wisteria indeed? pseudoacacia? fabaceae after all) and i think thats the key of the right-away climax of Olène. Wisteria sweetens but also enhances the tonic herbaceous side of narcissus, that almost reminds to a slightly astringent green tea. As the fragance develops,looses the sunbeams holy nimbus, but not its beauty. It turns more sober, falsely melancholic just because its eyes look better that way, a subtle flirty smile; narcissus takes the center, closely assisted by jasmine and gardenia without dilluting the unique ambiguous, voluptuous character of narcissus. A nostalgic honeysuckle pulls in the other direction of jasmine: greener, more yellow, tad honey and pear-like. Olène stays quite linear, closer and closer to the skin until is just a whisper.
My only problem with Olène is precisely its longevity. I dont mind it becomes my skin scent (i wish!) but it should stay longer. Fades too fast to take it seriously. A looser hand with the narcissus absolute and this would be a classic. Diptyque really needs to launch an eau de parfum concentration version as they did with other iconic fragances.

olene
soft white flowers and delicately soapy ,i didnt find it particularly feminine ,wearable in the early morning at office or in a park while reading a books in springtime

LiliumLibido
The stealth naughty ghost from a good family
That's the best way I can describe Olène, lol.
Upon application, it's a beautiful, fresh, soft jasmine/narcissus/wisteria combo, it even promises to be fairly linear. Well behaved, not a hair out of place. But just wait. Go about your day, pay it no attention.
The scent will fade and you will think "Meh. Another wimp with a big price tag. Figures."
As you put it out of your mind and get through your day, suddenly, you get a whiff. Jasmine. Sweaty, skin like jasmine. Jasmine that hasn't washed when she really should have. Pretty, but dirty.
And then POOF!... It's gone.
You sit in that meeting at work and you get big smiles from people whom you were sure didn't even know you existed. And then a whiff. Narcissus. Luminescent and glorious, fresh... Then nothing.
You sit in traffic, thinking of the evening ahead and there, another whiff. Honeysuckle with jasmine. Sweaty, dirty, yet clean and soft, so feminine it's almost disturbing. Sunny and dewy at once. Then, it's gone.
You sit with a good book and can't focus on the story because there again, whiff. Musk and narcissus, tinged with barely a soupçon of jasmine. And you blush. You even smell your own armpits to make sure things haven't gone awry in that department, lol.
But no.
Getting ready for bed, you undress and smell the cuff of your blouse and your mind goes reeling: You're feeling sexy, all of a sudden!
The scent whispers throughout hours of wearing. It's pretty, feminine, classy, well bred, yet it has the ability to behave in the most suggestive manner.
Definitely a keeper.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Narcissus and Wisteria or Big White Flowers?
Hmmm...narcissus and wisteria?

According to my nose, white flowers abound in Diptyque OLENE, to be precise: white flowers of the big, bold, bodacious type, including Tuberose with a capital T. There is also quite a dose of night-blooming jasmine here—and there may be some gardenia as well—but the tuberose note is initially so dominant, in fact, that it's going to determine whether or not you like this composition, it seems to me.

If you're a big fan of buttery presentations of tuberose à la CARNAL FLOWER and FRACAS, you will welcome OLENE with flaring nostrils. If, on the other hand, you find such emphatic expressions a bit overwhelming, you'll want to steer clear. I fall into the former category and would love to add a bottle of OLENE to my small collection of haute floral perfumes.
10.0 9.0/10

L'eau de Camay
This fragrance made such an impression on me that I can clearly recall the first time that I wore it- a lovely September day in Stockholm.

I noticed with pleasure that it became stronger as the day went on, instead of fading- and I found myself musing on why I found it so delightful, and it came to me- it smells quite a bit like a lovely hand soap that I associate with childhood- Camay! It had a lovely little picture of a lady's head in profile on it, and I thought it was so appealing-

by Yara
by Yara

Popular Diptyque

Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Do Son (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Lente by Diptyque Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau de Lierre by Diptyque Oyédo by Diptyque Oud Palao by Diptyque Eau Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque Ofrésia by Diptyque