Oud Palao 2015

Oud Palao by Diptyque
Oud Palao is a popular perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is woody-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital. Pronunciation

Bulgarian roseBulgarian rose Laotian oudLaotian oud Bourbon vanillaBourbon vanilla Indonesian patchouliIndonesian patchouli Ceylonese sandalwoodCeylonese sandalwood NagarmothaNagarmotha Somalian frankincenseSomalian frankincense Spanish cistusSpanish cistus

Submitted by Michael, last update on 17.05.2022.

*Oud Palao, cheap and chic*
As complex and gorgeous as the Zellige mosaic tiles from which it takes its inspiration, Diptyque's first foray into oud fragrance is an enchanting, exotic work of art all its own. Built around the titular Palao, a robust and renowned oud extract found only in Northern Laos, Oud Palao showcases all aspects of this wondrous ingredient- dark woods, sensual animalics, and creamy depths, all balanced against rich Bulgarian rose, and a deep, spiritual incense blend. In the smooth, rich drydown, sandalwood and vanilla add depth and longevity, while the lusciously elegant oud lingers, delivering a perfectly measured drop of smokiness alongside lightly earthy patchouli and resinous labdanum. The resultant balance is so smooth, so sumptuous, and so easy to love that we can picture it holding center stage at the most lavish of galas, or just as easily, keeping you company by a roaring fire on a moonlit night.
At second glance
To be honest, Diptyque's Oud Palao and I did not have an easy start. For that, let's rewind a good two years to a time when my only touches with oud were from Tom Ford's Oud Wood and Tobacco Oud. After niche fragrances and especially those from the oriental corner became more and more in my spectrum of interest, I happened to stumble upon Oud Palao. The comments about it were more than polarizing and in combination with the listed fragrances strengthened my interest more and more, so that not too soon a bottling made its way to me. Unpacked and sprayed on, the fragrance was now on my skin and the first breath was taken. The very first thing that came over me, however, was confusion and wonder. Was this really Oud Palao in my bottling? Is this what oud smells like? Many fragrances later, I can clearly answer these two questions with a yes, but my expertise in oriental fragrances was practically non-existent at the time. First associations moved in the direction of wet wipes, grandma's rose soap and embroidered towels in a dusty bathroom of elderly gentlemen. Visibly disappointed, the filling then disappeared in a drawer.

From time to time, however, I could not let it sniff at the filling and apply from time to time. Over time, my liking for the fragrance grew, and in the same measure, as I tried other oud fragrances and dealt more with oriental fragrances. Today, I can say without a guilty conscience that Diptyque's Oud Palao is a beautiful take on the rose-oud theme, which is well worth a second look.

The prelude makes a magnificent, bright rose, which comes along almost fruity. Directly under the first rose veil shows the oud. With a certain lightness it plays around the rose and gives it more substance. The oud used here seems light, dusty and delicate. Especially in the opening of the two protagonists, I seem to recognize parallels to XerJoff's Fars, even if it is not quite as finely composed here. As it progresses, the vanilla becomes more and more evident, and incense, patchouli and sandalwood unfold more and more. Over time, the rose and the oud come back a little and join the rest of the fragrance notes, until a beautiful, woody-rosy and especially creamy Oriental results. In my eyes, Oud Palao is neither unwearable nor hugely fecal or animalic. Rather, this is a fine rose oud fragrance, which can be worn perfectly in all four seasons.

Here it shows once again that you sometimes have to take a little time for certain fragrances until you really appreciate them.
This is not a cowshed
but something nobler. The connoisseurs know which stable I mean.

Oud Palao I actually had since its release on my watch list and a nice Parfumo has me to a bottling lots of samples enclosed, including Oud Palao. Of course, I first read up on what the community was saying... as is so often the case, it was dubbed "another rose oud scent". Well, I can not claim to know all Rose-Oud fragrances, but have tried some already and must say that Oud Palao but has a different, own character and is by no means 1:1 by any arbitrary Rose-Oud fragrance exchange.

Oud Palao is a consistently woody-spicy, oudy, dry, powdery fragrance, with only a very gentle rose, in fact, it keeps a low profile and only gives the fragrance a pleasant lovely florality, without candy sweetness. The smoky note of incense remains just as subtle in the background. The oud blends in smoothly and doesn't stand out. It is linear but far from being made simple-minded, that would not suit either the brand or the perfumer.

Now one or the other will wonder which stable I mean. One was already times in a pigsty and found out, that smells bestial, the cowshed is then nevertheless around some more pleasantly. In the sheep or goat barn it also smells much more civilized. But the horse stable does have an elegant noble note to me and if I had to describe the oud note of Oud Palao, it would have the grandeur of a very well kept horse stable. For the non-connoisseurs, stable is stable :D

Still, those who can't stand oud will notice oud distinctly and find happiness elsewhere. Palao is for me, max. a Ausgehduft, gaaanz discreetly dosed, otherwise only for really cold days or when you need a warm blanket that wraps you cozy warm. The durability is on the skin at about 8 hrs, on clothes much longer. Sillage is above average.

Conclusion: A for me all around gelunger Oudduft, which is not too rosy times, where the Oud is sublime and I feel as a freshness and clean fragrance fan, actually incredibly comfortable with.
Quite nice
Oud Palao is an average oud perfume. I've already come to terms with the fact that obviously no perfume puts my beloved Laotian oud in the limelight like pure oils do. They're all too tamed for that. Like Oud Palao. Unlike some people, I don't smell anything animal in here. It starts out very sweet and a bit smoky. The cistus is quite identifiable. The oud only gets more intense after a few hours, but remains very suitable for the masses. The rose is indicated. The Somali incense - I guess it is typically Papyrifera - I can't really identify it, which is a pity.

My conclusion: Quite nice and well wearable, but nothing special

Solemn comfort
I have become a little burned out with the proliferation of rose ouds in the perfume market. I have no doubt there are many beautiful scents out there, but for me there was a growing sense of sameness with the more I tested. Oud Palao was introduced to me late last year in the hope I'd find "the one". Hope you enjoy and thanks for watching

Oud Palao
Notes: Bulgarian Rose, Labdanum, Laotian Oud, Vanilla, Rum, Tobacco, Patchouli, Camphor, and Sandalwood

A great Oud and Rose combo. Rich, Dark, Dirty, Woody and Smokey. I don't find the Oud note to be animalic at all and definitely it's a syenthic Oud. The Tobacco and Rum with Vanilla make this and enjoyable for this fragrance.
Indian bazaar
OK, so I was just strolling through the bazaar in Calcutta when suddenly I was standing in front of a mysterious entrance that is definitely not accessible to everyone. But the boys gave me a sign with a smile and I was allowed to pass. It went through purple silk scarves, which were attached to the sides of the non-existent door, through a narrow passage, into a darkened room, in which in any case a few babas recently smoked a pipe with questionable contents. The atmosphere was captivating, and the hustle and bustle from outside was immediately forgotten. This could also have been due to the candles, which were only half burnt at the back and gave a weak but warm light. Was that vanilla? Well, after all the stress of the last hours I was amazed and grateful when I could make out a bed in the dark. The four poles around it, each with high-quality scarves, indicated the style of English kings. Must have been colonial. Actually I should have been sceptical about the whole thing, but the situation was just too perfect -- I was too stunned -- and the fluffy elaborately embroidered pillows in bed just too inviting. I don't know who owns the shed, but the mattresses are soooo soft. So the velvet blanket slides over my feet and calves. From the bazaar the turmoil and the smells vibrate strongly muffled up to me and I am amazed to have been a little "Ready Or Not" from the fugees until the vanilla scent lulls me into a gentle sleep.

SmellGoodGuySmellGoodGuy 3 years ago
Originally I criticized the utilization of rose. Now, as my taste matures, the rose is what adds to the sophistication of the composition.

Für Fresh21: schräg  genug ? ;))
by MonMedusa
by Ranisuin
by Meinesonne85
by Meinesonne85

Popular by Diptyque

Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Tempo by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Fleur de Peau by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Benjoin Bohème by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Capitale (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque L'Eau du Trente-Quatre by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Orphéon by Diptyque Kyoto by Diptyque Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque