Philosykos 1996 Eau de Toilette

Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque
Bottle Design Servaire&Co
Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 1996. The scent is green-fresh. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital. Pronunciation

FigFig
Fig leafFig leaf
Fig woodFig wood
Black pepperBlack pepper

Submitted by DirkDS, last update on 21.10.2021.

Scentimeter
Impure rhymes with three figs
Today I have dedicated some time to three figs.
It's raining, I'm a coward, I stay in the house and pick out three figs because I want to invite one of them to stay in my little closet side dedicated to fragrances. Eieiei: Which side will I take? Which of the three will be mine? No easy decision!
Immediately, three figgy veils inscribe themselves in the sides of my hands.
one: Premier Figuier, three: Figuier Eden. One of the three, after a while, escapes a broad-legged soapy sandalwood-musk-slobbery overtone (Premier Figuier) - its flattering zeal seems richly one-sided to me. Too campy it sucks up to me. No, seems like Figuier #1 is not mine, unfortunately. That leaves 2 sides between which my doubting nose bone can't decide by any means. Both figs appear almost simultaneously, neither lacks vanity: Philosykos celebrates his own fighood immodestly, because he knows: his authenticity remains to be envied - his fig is immensely pure and clearly has nothing to confess: a simple round of his trinity of fig tree branches, accompanied only by quiet peppery whistling: Fig flesh, fig twigs, and paradisiacal green leaf-covering - (forgive here my "ei" writing perhaps slips). Simple and peculiar. Meanwhile, quieter, silkier, more insidious and subtle, the Figuier Eden fig rubs against the mandarin slices, almost stealthily, at the same time tempting the red pepper not to give in, to give legs to the shallow, white-milk moist fig. Both linger a little while, alas, not an eternity. And me? I can't decide...
Mediterranean Feeling
When I received the long-awaited bottling and sniffed it, I was immediately catapulted into my childhood - vacation on the Mediterranean. Images of fig trees on small hills, the sun on my neck and the sea on the horizon, that's what I see when I smell Philosykos and close my eyes.

Have him without a comment then also under the nose of my sister and asked: What does this remind you of? Her first reaction: vacation!

The fragrance starts for me through and through with fig. Then something green mixes in, but that quickly withdraws a little, to then finally trigger this holiday feeling. Unisex it is all the time, I do not like too masculine fragrances on me, but since this fragrance is neither feminine nor masculine, but simply like the nature of the Mediterranean, it can really be worn by everyone.

A comparison to the EDP:
Again, I have a sample and have tested the EDT and the EDP on one arm each.
In my opinion they both start very similar, I couldn't name a difference if I didn't know. The EDP then becomes less green, rather a little woody but after an hour they both smell the same again on my skin. Also the longevity is exactly the same on my skin, so for me the more expensive EDP would not be worth it. Both I perceive about 4 hours.

Conclusion: The EDT is on my list for summer fragrances at the top :-)
Too cowardly as a fig
Philosykos.

Great theme in itself. Green, creamy, fig.

Unfortunately, one tune isn't enough for a good song in that case. Is too creamy for me, not enough fig, nor enough green.

I understand why people like this one, but on me it creates insecurity about what I'm trying to say now, smelling like this.

Does not hold, hardly any sillage and still niche price.

Rather: profumum roma - Ichnusa, who likes the herbaceous-fresh aspect or The Zoo - fig my love , who likes the fig and nothing else. Both significantly more depth and as a "statement" also more valuable
Okarina
For me still the most beautiful fig fragrance
It opens with the green scent of the tree top and then becomes increasingly creamy, as if I had walked under the tree on a sunny morning with the morning dew on the leaves and with then picked the sweet, ripe. Then a woody accent comes in to support the creamy fig. In my mind's eye, I sit there, lean against the tree trunk and enjoy the morning, the sun, nature and the wonderful fig.

This fragrance always tells me a story. Some are dissatisfied in the sillage and durability - I am not. But then I also do not belong to the group of people, for these two are particularly important criteria
Lisi93
The short dream of the fig tree
I was dreaming a beautiful dream when I saw a fig tree
Green and lush it stood there, it was the most beautiful time of the year.

The leaves blew there in the wind, there I wanted to go, ran quickly.

The fruits hang high on the tree, I toil to reach them hardly.

But one then falls towards me, so juicy that my fingers stick.

So now I sit on the seashore with the fig in my hand enjoying the sun, feeling the wind, feeling like a kid again.

I want to stay in the garden, the work, that can wait today.

But as quickly as it came, it's already taken from me, gone is the fig tree, cleared out the beautiful dream.

Now quickly the bottle in hand, and back to the distant land
Green enlightenment
Philosykos happened to cross my path, but I never forgot it. The nice saleswoman has given me luckily a sample, which I have touched with kid gloves, so that it is not all. As a gift, the 100ml bottle then came to me, but I would have definitely bought it myself.
It is a fragrance that is so simple but also not at all to describe. When smelling opens a world full of freedom and nature, vacation and security. It is not intrusive, but exactly what it should be. Perfect. Always amazing how much relaxation a fragrance can be.

He is certainly not everyone likes, but he's exactly mine!

The Rite of Spring
There is a fig tree in my back garden that keeps me busy all year round. Branches grow and extend all over the place and regardless of how many I manage to chop one year twice as many will take their place the following season.

During spring the garden is taken over by bees and bugs and in late summer, once the figs start dropping from the branches like hand grenades the insects multiply. Any attempt at gardening will leave me bitten, stung and with plenty of decomposing fig pulp stuck to my soles.

In autumn the massive fig leaves have turned brown and started to fall, waiting for the rain that will turn them into a wet and musty blanket all over the floor. Before winter arrives the last gardening tasks of the year are completed in preparation for the cycle to start again only a few months later.

Philosykos brings me back to this garden every time I spray it: I can smell the wet leaves, the wood and branches as they go through the seasons: very green and fresh during the spring-like opening, more woody as the scent evaporates with the summer heat and almost earthy during the autumn-like drydown. It smells clean, transparent and natural but also at times milky with an almost rubbery feeling, bringing to mind sticky sap. Since the fragrance recreates the entire tree and not just the fruit it remains a perfectly unisex fragrance throughout, light and easy to wear by anyone almost all year round.

One day I wlil move to another place and no longer have a fig tree to keep me busy throughout the year but I will always keep a decant or two of Philosykos to bring those memories back.
Mediterranean moment of happiness
Somewhere in the Mediterranean along the coast. A garden with fig trees. Rocky, rugged coastal landscape. Fresh, tepid summer wind carried from the sea to the land.

Philosykos begins green-splashy. You can almost feel the leaves of the fig tree in your hands, when rubbing them together the green-aromatic scent escapes, mixed with the tart skin of the fig fruit.
While the tart green notes then fade further and further into the background, the focus in the heart note is on the fruit juice of the freshly cut fig. Later the fruit juice changes more and more to a creamy, delicate fig milk.

Fresh.
Soft.
Gentle.
Creamy.
One of a kind.
Enchanting.

Philosykos was a revelation for me. The first summer scent that stood out completely from everything that I had known about scents until then and completely enchanted me.

The durability is very reasonable for a summer scent (and, mind you, an EDT), I can perceive the scent for about 6 hours The Sillage is not room-filling - it doesn't have to be here at all, but the scent is still perceptible for the immediate surroundings over a longer period of time.
I find the design of the flacon to be exceptionally beautiful with a high recognition value.
Tragician
Of blue nights and old sandstone walls
I became aware of Diptyque through another scent - I was looking for a vanilla I could make friends with after a while and tested Eau Duelle - and stood in a well-known time-honoured department store in front of the marble counter with the beautiful oval bottles lined up. Eau Duelle was tasted and I was still not a glowing vanilla fan. And because I am curious, I took another bottle in my hand and sprayed some of it on a test strip.

Actually I don't believe in love at first sight and normally I have to get a little warm with scents. But what I smelled here was special. It is said that the olfactory sense is most strongly connected with memory, and that's exactly what Philosykos does with me: he evokes memories. I breathed in and I remembered: Rome in the summer a few years ago, the burning sun, a park on a hill high above the breathless city, where I lay reading and looking up at the sky. To roaming around in the dark blue nights, through ancient streets still warm from the relentless sunshine, to the warm walls of sandstone that seemed to glow under my hand. To getting lost in the foreign land and the very own silent adventures that result from it. It was all there, before my eyes, in the middle of the grey December.

In the radiant Rome of my memory, there is no fig to be found (at least not consciously); perhaps it is rather the lush green, as if one were to tear a leaf from the tree and grind it between one's fingers in the afternoon heat, or the fig tree wood, which smells soft and warm, that evokes these associations.
For me, Philosykos is not a fragrance but a feeling, overburdened and at the same time somewhat melancholic, a memory. And even though its durability is a little weak and even though I have to ask people to whom I want to introduce my great love of fragrance to come very close with their nose, I love it.
Pledging of cowardice
Until recently I knew only a few or no fragrances from Diptyque.
In the meantime, some of the fragrances from this house have come to my nose and Philosykos is one of the fragrances I have grown particularly fond of over the years.

Diptyque does not usually produce loud buzzers, all the fragrances I know so far are reserved, unagitated and extremely pleasant to wear.

The fig itself, which is the main theme here, is one of the fruits that I appreciate very much but rarely buy. Neither in the dried nor in the fresh state, although it is a great delicacy.
A few years ago, a customer gave me a jar of homemade fig jam as a gift, made from figs from the garden of the holiday home in Ibiza. I confess, I have never again been able to enjoy such an excellent jam. No other fig jam I have ever bought has ever tasted this delicacy.

The scent of figs was also rarely in my face. Not that I deliberately ignored the subject My first fig smell was some years ago then Dune pour Homme, which one wanted to make palatable to me at the Dior conditions in the Alsterhaus. I found it very pleasant, but I was not convinced to buy it.
Fico di Amalfi from Acqua di Parma also beautiful but not a real candidate for purchase.
Then a sample of Fico d'India from Tuttotondo came into my hands, also very beautiful, but probably a bit sweet in the long run.
Also Noble Fig from Ferrari, who couldn't entice me to buy it.
Now a sample of Philosykos EdT landed with me and I thought, you can't call it bad.
On the contrary, it's really beautiful. The sample was used up and I made my thoughts about the fragrance.

At Philosykos I smell a lot of fresh green at first, I combine it with freshly cut grass, still dewy. Then the fig gets involved. It is not yet fully ripe, not yet in full sweetness, still green, even if already aromatic.
In addition, the fig is still on the branch, because it smells pleasantly woody. And some leaves are also still hanging on the branch. The green impression is still there.
Later, I can still see a hint of coconut. Not strong, just as a background so that the scent doesn't seem too linear. Goes very well with it.
I don't perceive any pepper. Fortunately, I must say here. I'm afraid pepper would have been a nuisance here. I have noticed pepper in some scents rather unpleasantly Especially in connection with flowers, it often bothers me.

The whole combination looks very natural and authentic. Nothing comes across as artificial or unround. Due to the restraint Philosykos is a very good everyday fragrance if you want to scent yourself pleasantly and unobtrusively. A little warmth is good for the fragrance, so I prefer to place it in the spring and summer time. In winter the scent could rather go down.
What one could perhaps blame the fragrance for is its somewhat "cowardly" appearance. The durability is not so outstanding, has rather a good cologne level and the scent quickly becomes skin-tight. Lovers of sweeping fragrances will not get their money's worth here.
But for me, this is just the way it is. The smell should not be louder
Philosykos is for me the epitome of an unperfumed perfume. It is a fragrance that gets by without exuberant synthetics, without loud floral accords, without artificial freshness and without squeaky sweetness. The fragrance works for itself as it is. And it does that very well.
And he does not become annoying or pushy at any stage. I had to correct the initial rating of 8 upwards.

I don't know if I would have actually bought it. But now a sample package was accompanied by a still almost full bottle and I'm really happy about this unexpected surprise.
My huge thanks therefore go to Stanze, that was a real bull's eye!
And in keeping with the name of the fragrance, I have also become a fig friend.

PioPio 9 months ago
Lovely but far too weak.
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
Possibly the reference niche fig fragrance by which all others are measured. Slightly fresher and lighter than the woodier EdP version.

by GilAroma
by Sherapop
by Lah2o
by Lah2o

Popular Diptyque

Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Fleur de Peau by Diptyque Tempo by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Capitale (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque L'Eau du Trente-Quatre by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Oud Palao by Diptyque Benjoin Bohème by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque