Philosykos (1996) Eau de Toilette

Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque
Bottle Design: Servaire&Co

Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 1996. The scent is green-fresh. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital.

Fig, Fig leaf, Fig tree wood, Black pepper

Submitted by DirkDS, last update on 13.08.2019

5.0 5.0 6.0 7.5/10

Beautiful fig leaf scent
The first spray beamed me under a fig tree into a garden at the Mediterranean Sea. It is early in the morning, through the green fig leaf roof a light breeze is blowing from the sea. The air is fresh and clear. The first flower buds open. They timidly show their faces to the young day. At the foot of the gnarled, twisted trunk lies a burst fig, from which a sweet scent emanates. A wasp circles around the fruit, a whirring, then silence. In my back I feel the smooth bark and look upwards - a green umbrella of five-lobed leaves protects me. The fig leaf - one hand. In my mind's eye Adam and Eve appear, painted by Dürer, the shame covered with foliage, Eve holding the apple in her hand. We're still in paradise. They were apple tree leaves and not fig leaves, where did the fig leaves come from, I still think, then I fall asleep. A siren in my ears - I wake up. It itches. A mosquito bite. I pick a fig leaf, drizzle the latex on the red spot. Sunlight flickers through the treetop and conjures up a green-golden roof. The trunk in my back smells woody-warm. I'm happy.

Good but Weak
This is a fragrance where there is a huge difference between the EDT and EDP. I couldn't stand the EDT but love the EDP. I started out sampling but ended up buying a full bottle of the EDP.

I'm going to admit that I don't really know what a fig smells like. I do know what coconut smells like and I don't get a heavy coconut smell out of this. It must be mixed very well, because neither the fig or coconut is overpowering.

What I do smell is a VERY green fragrance. It reminds me of the smell of breaking open a new green branch on a maple tree in the spring.

The fragrance is good but unfortunately, at least on me, it suffers sillage and longevity problems. Even with 6 or so sprays of the EDP, it's a soft fragrance with only moderate longevity. I bought it direct from the Diptyque website, so I'm sure it's not counterfeit and I highly doubt that it's old stock - it's just the way the fragrance is.

If you like a soft, green fragrance with moderate longevity, buy it but as far as I'm concerned, I won't rebuy based on how weak it is.
8.0/10

Cheery + Calming = Comforting
I am so attracted to fragrances with green notes that I often overlook the green qualities that every other reviewer mentions in their first sentence. Philosykos green? I hadn’t noticed. I think of Thymes Fig Leaf & Cassis or Jo Malone Wild Fig & Cassis as green, but Philosykos? To me it's all about being creamy, creamy, creamy fig (with fig being incomparable to any other scent except perhaps that of dates). The coconut adds sweetness without announcing itself individually. Philosykos runs fairly linearly, yet never strikes me as boring, which even the illustrious Lutens Feminité de Bois can be for me. The scent doesn’t throw far from the skin and is so subtle as to possibly be perceived by passersby only subliminally. I would wear Philosykos in regular rotation if my husband weren’t put off by fig in any formulation.
10.0 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Fig/Coconut Goodness - EDP
This review is for the EDP concentration. I want to add my voice to the group praising Philosykos, this was my entry to Diptyque, and based on its strength I suspect I'll be adding some more through this season.

Thanks to the previous reviews, I knew I'd be in for a nice treat when I went to smell this one; and a treat it was! I haven't tried any of the other fig-based frags yet, so maybe they just all smell this good, but this was a very welcome change-up from the usual cologne offerings.

What I read on the open is a very fresh, fruity (fig), leafy top. This part is fantastic, and lasted around 30 minutes. I noticed that the fig retreated a bit after that and the coconut note came a bit more to the forefront afterward, providing a counterbalancing scent, as well as just a touch of sweetness. Based on other reviews, it seems that the EDT may have a more pronounced fig note, just as an FYI, but fig is definitely noticeable in the EDP as well.

This one did evolve some during the heart and drydown, but never resorting to the tried-and-true powdery or musky notes I get in so many other scents - which can be boring. I honestly think I'd have a hard time describing this drydown precisely, because it's well-blended. In any event, it evolved "nicely", I'll settle for that.

I know the "natural-smelling" catch-phrase is overused, but this one definitely strikes my nose as being more like something I'd smell outdoors in the Summer, than something that comes out of a beaker. Scent-wise it's top-shelf.

Given that the concentration on this bottle is EDP, it had the expected, to maybe slightly less longevity, sillage and projection than I'd expect. It wore fine, but it's not a beast by any stretch. Probably 5 hrs good wear for me on the first couple of wearings in hot Houston, TX weather.

The scent is unisex to slightly feminine, I'd say. No issues pulling it off, I think in a casual scenario any guy could, really. However, much to my dismay the GF didn't like this at all. Which was surprising, because she likes fresh/sweetish scents normally, likes coconut, and she's part Greek. Silly me, I figured this would be a homerun - just a word to the guys who are looking for a date day/night frag - this one might need GF approval first :)

I wouldn't recommend this for workplace wear, it sure presents itself as a personal, casual scent.

Recommended, and highly enough that I will be back at the Diptyque counter again, smelling some of the other little gems.
7.5 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Airy Fig
Greysolon asked a great question earlier today: how does Heeley FIGUIER compare with Diptyque PHILOSYKOS? As I was thinking about the differences between the two creations, it occurred to me that I had yet to review PHILOSYKOS here at Parfumo, so this seemed like the perfect time!

I have to confess that I did not buy my bottle of PHILOSYKOS. It was included as an extra thrown in as a part of a multi-swap which I made with a wonderful woman from Vancouver. She had used about half her 100 ml bottle and apparently "hit the wall", so to speak. This happens sometimes with fig perfumes, it seems.

How lucky I felt, since based on an earlier cursory test I would probably not have selected this before some of the other Diptyque creations, but having found myself with a bottle, I began to wear it now and then and eventually came to realize how much I appreciate the scent.

To me PHILOSYKOS, like FIGUIER, is an open, fresh and completely composition. The difference may seem subtle, but it's patent if one compares the two creations side-by-side. The Heeley is very, very green and very, very wet. The Diptyque is slightly green but not drenched in water and a little bit sweeter. I feel the fruit in this composition where I do not so much in the Heeley, probably because the green is so heightened that it shrouds the sweetness from my nose. When I say that PHILOSYKOS is not drenched in water, I mean that it is much less moist than FIGUIER, which I likened to a fig tree in the middle of a rainforest. Greysolon has hit on the perfect term: misty. I also like his comparison of this PHILOSYKOS to a watercolor painting. To me this creation feels like a breeze: cool and airy.

PHILOSYKOS offers a perfect blend of fig and fig leaf, along with the lightest touch of coconut and a good dose of light woods. The cedar is quite evident, and it smells natural and fresh. My bottle is of the eau de toilette, not the eau de parfum, so I cannot offer any insights into the differences between the two, but Comrade Aromi has tried both (see below).

What I like most of all about PHILOSYKOS is that it creates an atmosphere of tranquility. I feel that this genre is very similar to what Jean-Claude Ellena has since done with the Hermès Jardin series.
10.0/10

Misty morning perfection
Philosykos has a well deserved status as one of the classic fig scents. If you read reviews on other forums and blogs there is near universal love for this airy, cool, green fig fragrance by Olivia Giacobetti. Smelling Philosykos immediately brings to my mind a watercolor painting with the medium's ability to capture transparency and delicacy. Philosykos does, however, gain warmth and depth as it dries down. A subtle coconut note gives the impression of figs ripening in the sun. But our watercolor vision of the fruit never gets so ripe it falls from the branch and develops the molasses, dried fruit accord found in other fig fragrances. It's just subtle brushstrokes of maroon and brown on each fig to capture the essence of maturing fruit.

My real addiction to Olivia Giacobetti's work is the aura of misty cool, green accords she created for Philosykos and her other classic, En Passant. This transparent wash can only be described as the aura of a cool, dewy morning with subtle accords of green leaves and grass. Seriously, people must think I have some weird physical affect when I wear Philosykos because I'm continually lifting my wrist to my nose to get an addict's hit of the experience. And I'm sure Giacobetti could use that watercolor motif as a background for any floral or garden scent although I hope she never falls for the easy repetition of its success. It's such a signature artistic achievement that it would be a shame if -as I'll call it- the "misty morning" accord became known for its overuse rather than its truly unique qualities.

Itchynose 53 days ago
Possibly the reference niche fig fragrance by which all others are measured. Slightly fresher and lighter than the woodier EdP version.+1

by Glosoli
by Sherapop
by Lah2o
by Lah2o

Popular Diptyque

Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Do Son (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Lente by Diptyque Oud Palao by Diptyque Oyédo by Diptyque Eau de Lierre by Diptyque Eau Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque Olène by Diptyque